[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: wojak is dreaming.jpg (202 KB, 1111x1111)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
Is it worth it going to school for graphic design? I don't want to falling for the BA in graphic design meme and end up even more piss poor than I am now.
>>
do a STEM degree
more graduate schemes once you finish
far better earning potential in the long run

dont go straight into a gd degree
you want to do an art foundation course first
most prestigious universities require this for their gd ba
>>
>>401837
>do a STEM degree
>more graduate schemes once you finish
>far better earning potential in the long run
I have an EE degree and ended up working in a warehouse cleaning medical waste for 13.25 dollars an hour, make of that what you will.
>>
>>401824
>Is it worth it going to school for graphic design
It is, as you will be more a complete designer and will have more field experience. Learning alone can be hard as good feedback and good teachers matters a lot on the your foundation. And you will be less prone to be a victm of automation, as you will not be a "tutorial designer".
Saying that, you will still need to go beyond your classes, as GD is a pretty big field and you will only see the surface on most matters while in class, so it is nice if you try to explore the matters you see in class in depth at home.
>>
>>401839
Is this really indicative of anything? Just seems like shit luck.
>>
>>401846
>tutorial designer
?
>>
I am in a printing/gd school and im gonna rate it like this

>People in general- 9/10
>Girls- 6/10 to 8/10
>Boys- 4/10 to 9/10
>Job lesson enjoyability- 8/10
>Job lesson touhhness level- 3/10

It is worth going there
>>
>>401852
You know how to do a couple tricks/compositions that may look really nice, but you lack the "thinking as project" skill and a broader knowledge of design
>>
Worth it for the fact that your work will be criticized very often. You will basically improve your composition skills. Some classes will suck, others will be enjoyable but do it to learn not to just have a title.
>>
>>401824
My wife did and it was well worth it for her
>>
>>401824
From a financial point of view, I recommend watching this video (honestly, I recommend the whole channel if you want to know the current overview of each college degree's value): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wddMGDPUunE
Spoiler, graphic design is one of the better degrees in the arts.
From my viewpoint, if graphic design is something you like, then it will probably be worth getting the degree. You will be taken more seriously as a prospect by employers than those without a degree. That will always be a fact, no matter what industry it is, especially now in this post-COVID era.
>>
>>401824
Honestly. I did and never got a job in the industry but my contact and resource list is fucking massive.

I got into consulting and make decent money for not traditionally using my degree but i made what i learned work for me. Round off GD degree with advertising/marketing courses become as well rounded as possible.

Now I consult ppl starting clothing brands small businesses, advertising/ marketing consultation and I can actually speak to the creatives in their language as a bridge to the "client from hell" so they dont have to deal with their bullshit
>>
>>401839
>>401847
Not him, but I have a cousin graduating as a civil engineer, and he mentioned there's a huge over saturation of graduates. Ironically, a meme amongst engineers is that there's too many people with engineering degrees, and not enough certified tradies to actually do the job the engineers designed.
There's an infographic about oversaturation of STEM degrees somewhere.
It's funny, I went to school for /gd/, ended up working on cannabis farms for years because there was an over saturation of millenials with degrees in the creative sector, so other people went STEM, now there's an oversaturation of them. Can't win I guess. Unless you go tradie. It's usally physically crappier work, but there's probably less chance of irrelevance, just make sure they teach you new and future tradie shit, since we'll have an infrastructure overhaul in the next 10 years.
>>
>>401950
Also, back when I went to school, I only got an AAS in /gd/. Should I go back to school for a BA/BAS? Also is there any courses in particular that specialize in refreshers for people in say their late 20s trying to return to the field?
>>
File: 1605504261721.jpg (327 KB, 2222x2175)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
Art grad here.

It's extremely worth it, but the Art and Graphics programs are usually pretty more tougher compared to the other majors. Expect spending hours ends working on projects and fucking up on each of them. The payoff varies by mileage. STEM degrees have it just as bad anyways so if you have the passion then by all means. Right now I'm on furlough due to COVID but my current job is in e-commerce and web and it only pays 10$ an hour. Take that as you will.
>>
>>401824
No, not at all.

I know you dont have a reason to believe me, but i worked on some of the biggest music videos this year. I never went to art school or anything of the kind. Most of the people I know who did dint even end up with a creative job.

Networking is whats going to be your friend. You can get your piece of paper from college/university but thats not what it takes to get on these big projects.

Dont worry about school, worry about networking and the skill itself. School will put you in the debt.
>>
File: kot.jpg (114 KB, 640x427)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
OP here, happy new years frens hope you're having a good one. I'm just gonna make a mass reply post while I wait for some pajeet to deliver my food.

>>401837
>t. stemcel
meh I have 0 interest in STEM
>>401854
>Girls- 6/10 to 8/10
>Boys- 4/10 to 9/10
what does this even mean? lmao
>>401870
>You will be taken more seriously as a prospect by employers than those without a degree. That will always be a fact, no matter what industry it is, especially now in this post-COVID era
I mean the first part was always a given regardless of a global pandemic. However there's always those lazy ass clients that will just hire some rando with a portfolio w/o a degree and cut them a check for doing graphic design work that only took them 10 minutes to do. I know that sounds anecdotal but it's more common than you think.
>>401943
>my contact and resource list is fucking massive
Not trying to piss in your cornflakes but one hard truth I learned is just because you may have a bunch of contacts on your rolodex that doesn't mean there will be people on that list that will be eager and/or excited to hear from you. Granted, I am a firm believer in networking to grow your career, but of course always keep in touch with solid people that will provide a mutual working relationship.

Btw, what kind of job did you get in consulting? I've been considering getting into finance to support myself while I'm in school. I'm tired of being a wagie desu.
>>401950
>Unless you go tradie. It's usally physically crappier work, but there's probably less chance of irrelevance, just make sure they teach you new and future tradie shit, since we'll have an infrastructure overhaul in the next 10 years
I was considering becoming a tradie but anytime I ask current and former tradies they tell me the industry isn't what it used to be and with pandemic going on and it's much shittier.

>>401863
>>401846
>>401956
noted, thank you frens
>>
Don't take any low paying degree you can study online, it just doesn't make sense.
I studied architecture and I can tell you I along with some of my colleagues can do better GD than a lot of art majors
>>
>>402429
>Don't take any low paying degree you can study online, it just doesn't make sense
Agreed. That's why I'm studying abroad to get my degree without breaking the bank. Also I don't have interest in any of the STEM degrees :/
>>
>>401824
Jesus Christ no. Especially during Covid
>>
>>401951
Anyone?
>>
>>402946
Not really, the bachelor's in my school is just art history, printing shit, art direction, a second typography class. You should do research and but if you feel confident experience will teach more than part 2 of an already easy class.
>>
>>401824
Im in the middle of my B.DES degree and I love it.
I already run a business and thought Im gonna do the degree real quick but I actually learned a lot and made a lot of connection. And at my Academy there are a lot of talent scouting at year 3 and 4.
However you either good in design or don't waste your time
>>
getting work experience even for free is a shortcut and worth it if you can. if youre not sure which field to go into then a course can help.The quality of your portfolio plus experience and the people you know matter most.
>>
Yes
>>
>>402985
I see. Do you think if I have a good portfolio it won't matter that jobs say they require a Bachelor's? Like is that just a filter like "If they're not confident enough to apply without the degree, fuck em" or like a dumb recruiter thing like "I saw other companies requiring it, so I'm gonna too." Because joke ass jobs in my city say they require a Bachelor's.
>>
File: pickachu with mcd.jpg (386 KB, 2048x2048)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
>>403167
Not him but do keep in mind that networking will always be your friend. While I would argue having a BA is a good safety net, there is plenty of opportunity to be successful without a degree because luckily there's still people out there who value talent over experience.
>>
>>401824
No.
>>
>>403179
I'm terrible at networking since I've quit drinking, but I inevitably burn bridges when I do drink.
"Say law vee"
>>
>>403256
If you are 20-24 I'd say get the bachelor, more critique from professors is what I value the most, even if the classes are easy or redundant. I already have a MBA that's why I can't take 5 more years for a bachelor's. I need a job ASAP lol.

I for one believe that organic networking is the key, like working with close friends. Making friends for the sake of building professional connections seems like a bit too forced to me, even worse if you have to alter your psyche just to function in a social environment that you deeply despise.
>>
>>401837
>do a STEM degree
As someone who actually became a scientist and worked with applications like vector transduction and genetic modification, don't fucking do it. The market is saturated and idiots believe if you have a stem degree your life is set. If you have no real skill sets to set to show to the employee, they're most likely going to reject you, or exploit you by paying you less cause every shmuck has one.
>>
>>401824
I have an Associates Degree in Advertising and Graphic Technology. I worked in the school print shop (was getting paid) and worked with real clients for the entire two years I was there. I also get paid to do freelance work here and there. I have a resume and a portfolio site I made and paid for, but despite all this even stupid small chain sign shops won't reply back to me. Feels pretty worthless ngl
>>
>>401824
>i just want to draw
>somehow this will translate into making money as long as i just believe
Don't think like this

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.