[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: EiHQA7aU8AA1Ecb.jpg (38 KB, 400x400)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
How does one even start a career in graphic design, I'm kinda lost and i'm about to go to school for it.
>>
>>400523
>go to school for it.
plus internships, summer jobs, freelancing, self study and so on....
>>
>>400523
>Do tutorials to learn about relevant software, composition and image creation.
>Apply this knowledgde to translate information into form.
>Network
>You will be criticised, stressed out, insecure, jealous, and frustrated. It is important that you experience all these things in order to learn to own your work. Confidence in your ability to create (the right thing) and presenting it that way can at times be 50% of the whole process.

Most important thing is to enjoy the creative process. The creative industry is changing every year. How things are done today will be drastically different when your'e done with your education.
>>
practice and draw daily and don't wait for anyone to teach you shit. your skills and your portfolio depends on self-study
and make sure you learn how to do motion design and animation
>>400576's advice is good as well
passion is really the most important thing in graphic design, it's like our drive to work and do better
>>
I'd recommend getting into freelance work while you're still in school. Build experience. Find jobs on upwork, guru, craigslist. Post ads on craigslist, sell some shirts, whatever.
>>
>>400576
Like this guy says, art schools are kinda brutal. You're going to be around people that are incredibly talented and you're going to get jealous and feel insignificant, but don't let it crush you. Turn those feelings of jealousy into inspiration, jealousy and awe aren't that different.
>>
I got into an art school to learn GD this fall... Learnt some things, mainly that this school that I'm going to, focuses on teaching you the PROGRAMS instead of the actual principles. Also the other problem was that corona wave2 hit, and teachers started to think that the only class in existence is theirs. I'm on the edge of dropping out and going freelance, with learning from online classes.
>>
>>401259
I personally wouldn't recommend college during this time. It's expensive as all hell to begin with, but I really don't feel like online courses justify the price. Remember, an important part of college is networking and meeting new people which in my experience is much easier to do in person. I did learn a lot from college, but a lot of that had to do with being around people, seeing their work, and talking to them.

I'd say go to college once classes open back up again, for now learn online and do some freelance work.
>>
If, you go to school attend a community college. DO NOT GO TO ART INSTITUTE AND GET $200,000+ WORTH OF DEBT, nor a four year college.

Graphic design is a trade and there are trade schools in the USA meant for Graphic Design.

You do not need a degree to do graphic design or get a job with it.

You need the skills to operate industry standard software, building skills takes time and if you attend community college there is less pressure and more time to focus on building your skill sets.

Keep interacting with the internet as well, post videos on youtube, vimeo, newgrounds

Post music if you make it on soundcloud, newgrounds, youtube, bandcamp,

Post digital art on deviantart, tumblr, newgrounds.

Create a Neocities page and get familiar with basic coding, post all of your artwork, portfolio via links on your neocties page.

There are a lot of resources available to you now to explore, if you don't want to attend college or trade school then you don't necessarily need to right now.

Watch videos, movies, art, examine what elements go into the world around us.
This process is not different than college, and it will warp your brain but you will survive it and understand that imperfection is the building block which all media, digital and analog, is made up of.

Money at this point in life is not your primary goal, building a good foundation is. The stronger your foundation is now, the better you will perform in the future which will allow you to streamline your work with higher quality, which allows you to complete more projects with less effort for more clients and yourself.

Good luck OP, part of the journey is being lost. You are closer to your dreams than you realize.
>>
not OP but what does everyone think of behance as a portfolio site?
im trying to find one off gigs on upwork and the like but i literally dont have one place where ive put all my best work. (i already have a CC subscription too btw)
>>
bump
>>
>>400523
Sewerslvt is a fat, ugly, tranny MALE residing in the city of Adelaide, Australia. Don't let faggots tell you otherwise.
>>
>>402482
so?
>>
>>402482
shut the fuck up you transphobic piece of shit she has a hundred times more talent than you could ever dream of having you cum-sock-eating basement goblin
>>
File: download (1).jpg (24 KB, 474x290)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>402509
trannies have rotting meat crotch

his autism hobby means shit

trannies mutilate themselves with dull knives and Chinese industrial chemicals

godless hedonistic autists who see their body not as God's temple which needs to be cherished,
but as WinAMP skin that they can swap, as a commodity

mental and physical disability is now a socially desirable and attainable part of a 'lifestyle'

consumerism and commodification of everything has made men desire self-castration and mutilation

probably before mid-19th century these 'transition' procedures would be universally considered as some sort of horrific curse / means of punishment

people like him a live action circus spectacle of modern horror,

a spectacle of futile spite against Nature, a complete inversion of God's image,
a perception of Man cultivated for hundreds of generations completely fucked by selfish degenerates in ~2 centuries
>>
>>402522
god is dead and i masturbate in his decomposing remains
>>
>>402523
God is a basically a metaphor / ideal for man not being shit.

Therefore he is as dead as you are shit. You are just shit, congrats! :D
>>
>>402522
>collective well-being of society
autism alert autism alert
>>
>>402530
elaborate
>>
>>402522
none of this changes the fact that she actually has creative output while you're sitting here bitching on 4chan. I really don't care what trans people do to their body and nothing you say is going to stop them. Trans people are always going to be a small minority of people, I live in a liberal area and i've met only a few, conservative schizos online make it seem like its about half the population. This is what people mean when they tell you to go outside.
>>
>>402574
read it again.
it's still batshit insane to formally accept any of this. calling him 'she' you're playing along liberal capitalist deathcult.

the spectacular horror of this man's desire manifestation out his spiritual weakness in background overrides any appreciation of his artistic merit. david lynch sort of shit, like wholesome birthday party where everyone keeps cheering as somebody is being raped in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s
>>
>>402577
basically, formal acceptance of extreme self harm matters more than some shitter's internet art
>>
File: smugdoge.png (25 KB, 128x127)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>402577
nigga just shut the fuck up
>>
>>402522
>probably before mid-19th century these 'transition' procedures would be universally considered as some sort of horrific curse / means of punishment
Ah yes but at the same time drilling a hole in ones skull to fix a headache is the epitome of correct and proper. As much as trannies have been taken for a wild goose chase it seems you too have also lost the ability to critically think, analysise and self reflect.
>>
>>402700
>analysise
kek not even gonna correct it.
>>
>>402639
Disregarded, you're just a child
>>
>>400523
School helps but is not necessary. Things to consider, where in the design line you appeals to you. Conceptual work/Branding? Workflow? Finishing? Want to work with print, or web? Basic art composition is a must. Some psychology of marketing helps. Do not be intimidated by the idea of creating 'art'. Not all artists are designers, just as not all designers are artist.
>>
File: download-1.jpg (13 KB, 225x225)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>402522
Yeah I'm thinking based
>>
File: bb.png (238 KB, 476x417)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
>>402773
rather be a child than a transphobic piece of shit xoxo
>>
>>402482
So what?
>>
>>401263
>>400523

I agree, sort of.

While college is useful for connections, it's also useful because the ability to converse with others about the work you're doing is much easier. The critique process is so much better in person, and it'll mean you'll grow faster because of it.

I think that the more digitally focused the industry becomes, the less important college will become, though. Plenty of artists and designers get connections via posting their work online - artists especially. Whether it's a professional site or a casual social media following, getting people to see your work isn't something that needs to be done in person.

My recommendation for the immediate future would be to find some free/cheap online courses and YouTube videos. Not specifically college courses. Practice your ass off, and make sure that the practice you're doing is work that you will benefit from. Practice smart, not hard. A single well-considered night of studying is better than a dozen nights of pissing about drawing anime boys on your tablet.

It means establishing a good baseline for the important skills you'll need later on. If you want to be a designer, start studying other professional design work, read up on famous designers, and how/why they made their work. Get a feel for the basic principles of design. If you want to be an artist, practice with studies. You need to nail the fundamentals of drawing from real-life reference before you can begin forming abstract or stylized work.

I'd also recommend avoiding traditional art schools like the plague. Don't find an "art school", find a school that just so happens to have a good art program. While being around people that "walk the walk and talk the talk" of the artist community can be helpful, it's also a massive echo chamber - being around people from all walks of life will be way more beneficial to you as a person and you as an artist.
>>
>>402808
You're on 4Chan, if you still get THIS butthurt about random transphobic comments then you've got a rough future, friend.

Just let it go, christ. This isn't the kind of place that you can perform a social justice crusade through and come away with a bunch of free clout. You're looking like a fucking moron.
>>
>>402522
i can feel your insecurities oozing out, cuck
>>
>>404019
I can practically smell the copium leaking out from that post
>>
>>404018
lmao i'm the butthurt one here ? your pal wrote entire books about how they're abominations of christ and i'm just putting some oil in the fire because i find it funny, that's it. same thing most people do here.
>>
>>404021
Smug "at least im not a bigot xoxo" posting is not a joke. If you think that's funny, it's because your head is up your own ass.

If you want to clap back at someone being an idiot, you have to actually have a point - or be funny. You are doing neither.
>>
>>404021
Thank you, faggot, for ruining this thread.
>>
>>400523
why would you do this?
this is one of the few fields that is seeing a decline in jobs. There will be 10K fewer jobs than there are today in 10 years.
entry-level jobs pay less than $30K
the best 10 percent don't even make $100K
When you graduate you'll be competing against designers in India working for dollars a day and people using AI-based Canva replacements.
I could understand if you've done some graphic work and you're passionate about it and want to go to school to get better, but if you're lost about it, that tells me you have no idea what you're getting into. Seriously. Rethink this career.
Otherwise, see you in two to four years when you're in debt asking us how to get work.
>>
File: UMADBROOMGZ.jpg (12 KB, 235x214)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>404022
>>404023
>>
you fucking retard
>>
>>400526
>freelancing
Not op but do you/anyone else know any decent freelancing sites that don't require an eternity in order to create an account as a seller? I've tried setting an account for fiverr 3 times already but there's so much stuff to do. I had to add a ton of personal information, studies, accounts on various social media platforms, and it still didn't work. Isn't freelancing supposed to be easier?
>>
>>400523
Let's learn on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cSG9jPSnpc
>>
>>400523
Some people might advise against this but go on freelancer and take up as many contest requests as possible. This will teach you how to compete against the pajeets and how to deal with different client tastes. You'll slowly build up a portfolio that will help you land real gigs. You don't need to go to school for this btw.
>>
>>402482
>fat
Proof
>>
>>404558
>graphic design
>>
>>400523
understand the elements and principles of design,

use each of these tools with a distinct purpose, if your design uses these well, no one will notice, and that is a good thing.
>>
>>402522
Ooooh did you read Bronze Age Mindset too or are you just naturally this retarded?
>>
>>400523
just do yourself a favor and don't. get a job that a someone in highschool can't do.
>>
>>405814
You just described every trade
>>
>>404056
Kek
>>
>>401342
i mean it depends on where you apply some don’t care but a lot of employers may see it as unprofessional not to have your own website, judge mental as they are. they see it as taking initiative or whatever
>>
>>402808
being transphobic is based though
>>
>>404480
no it’s super difficult, who told you it was easy? lol. ideally you want to form long lasting relationships with high paying returning clients, that’s not easy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.