[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 8 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

>UX/UI
>Product Design
>Web Design
How are you supposed get a job as a graphic designer without any of these? Every posting requires you to know vanilla gd and CSS these days ffs
>>
You're supposed to fill the needs of the markets and no the other way around
If you refuse to adapt you're no worse than the typical boomer
>>
>>393132
The only exception I can think of would be commercial art / advertising or packaging
>>
None of the other disciplines have disappeared, it's just that the fields you mentioned are where the money's at right now.

There are tons of opportunities in merchandising, digital marketing, print media, etc etc, they just might not be as attractive.

Print shops are always foaming at the mouth for good prepress artists.
>>
>>393218
>Print shops are always foaming at the mouth for good prepress artists.
No, they're not. Most of them have shut down, the ones still standing can't afford anyone.
>>
>>393219
My fault, should have specified I'm mostly talking pre-pandemic. Nobody is foaming at the mouth for anything currently.
>>
>>393224
Was happening pre-pandemic. Print is dying. Has been for at least 20 years. Most of the printers big and small that were around when I started are gone, for good.
>>
>>393235
This seems a bit overdramatic. Print will always be around, and direct mail is one of the most engaging advertising methods currently utilized.

It may be dying on an editorial or newspaper/magazine level, but traditional print for advertising, merch & business collateral ain't going anywhere.
>>
>>393235
Umm no they aren't. There are so many kinds of businesses that revolve around printing and cannot be replaced by "muh digital"
>>
>>393242
Direct mail houses are the bottom of the barrel, and most of the physical printing goes to china. Know more about the industry before "nuh uh"ing me. Print is dying. Not dead, dying. More printing goes overseas now, than is done here - and has been for 20 years, I was running print jobs remotely in Singapore in 2000. I've been working in print for longer than you've probably been alive. Most local printing is gone. Mid range is decimated. High end is hanging on, but there's a fraction of the number of presses still running than 10 years ago. I know the people who worked at them, they all had to leave the industry.
>>
>>393251
You claiming that you're a relic in the industry is more of a detriment to your argument than anything. Also, is it dying or is it moving overseas? Sperging all over your keyboard because your "I GOTTA BE RIGHT" autism trigger went off adds nothing to the conversation.

>>393132
You just need to expand what you're searching for. If you can't find the rockstar UI job that pays in ferraris then look around your community. This is probably more targeted towards US, but small businesses can always be shown where they're lacking when it comes to brand building. Even going to a restaurant and offering to redesign a menu can help you get in a steady freelance income while you wait for a bigger opportunity to open up.
>>
>>393297
LOL, okay, troll. Keep telling us what the industry is like, while pretending to be a designer on 4chan.
>>
>>393301
Will do.
>>
>>393251
a big reason for the decrease in volume for direct mail is data collection has made targeting almost pinpoint accurate. theres no reason to send out massive amounts of direct mail to blanket neighborhoods because shops have over 1000 points of data on every citizen that they can use to narrow their marketing efforts.

direct mail is very very very far from being bottom of the barrel, it's as if not more advanced as any modern social media or digital marketing out today.

stop being such a goddamn boomer and realize your experience is years behind where the industry is actually going.
>>
>>393251
>>393224
>>393235
imagine thinking litho represents the entire print industry lol

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.