[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 10 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

How does someone know what size and shape you want to use for measuring and designing?

I don't really know how to explain it. I'll post more samples, but basically, how does the designer know what exact size and shape to use to create the overall design? How do you measure your design in such a way?

I know about the Golden Ratio and things like that, so is that it?

Are there any books for this kind of stuff?
If anyone just recommends some sources to watch or read I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>
>>
How does someone get such exact measurements? Like how can I start using methods like this? Just make a random circle and start plopping it everywhere?

It seems like there's a more methodical and precise method, but I can't really seem to find any books about it other than grid theory maybe?
>>
it's a meme. don't bother
>>
you could probably just DM Paul and ask him, he's a pretty friendly chap.
>>
>>392972
fucking kek
>>
I don't believe in any of this, I don't think using these shapes makes the design inherently better. But, using circles instead of free drawing curves and using proportions and consistency can make the design more appealing to the eye.
My guess is for each of these designs the artist started with a rough sketch on paper, probably a few drafts of sketches later they settled on one then used the circles and angles digitally to recreate the sketch.
I do not think any designer starts right away with the circles and angles and stuff.
>>
>>393048
If op actually bother to learn design he’ll knew that the FIRST TIME YOU DO TO MAKE A LOGO IS SKETCH THE THUMBNAILS.
>>
>>392972
>I know about the Golden Ratio and things like that
For some reason I really doubt that.
>>
>>392972
It involves a lot of trial and error, transforming elements around until they look aesthetically pleasing and coherent
The numbers in those charts are mostly more descriptive than perscriptive of the design process
>>
>>392972
thats a pretty meaningless diagram
>>
>>393063
>If op actually bother to learn design he’ll knew that the FIRST TIME YOU DO TO MAKE A LOGO IS SKETCH THE THUMBNAILS.

And if you bothered to learn proper grammar, you wouldn't sound like a mouth breathing retard.
>>
>>393100

why should i sketch on my thumb? lol youre so dumb
>>
>>393112
So do you actually have something relevant to say or are you just going to keep saying stupid shit?

Fucking namefags I swear.
>>
>>393200
yeah thanks for all your genius contributions
to your cum sock
>>
>>393200
OH SHIT IM GONNA POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST
>>
File: 242.jpg (81 KB, 600x600)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>392972
>>392975

Paul Nicholson explains the process here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/guqc3j/i_am_paul_nicholson_creative_designer_and_the/fskdrpj/?context=3

Basically hand drawing thumbnails and then measuring the angles of the one you like, then putting it into illustrator.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.