[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 140 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cope.jpg (291 KB, 593x762)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
What are your guys' actual jobs? Do people make decent money?

My job has ended up being more data crunching than graphic design but I still make shit ($38000).

Any anons wanna share? Advice? Best additional skill?
>>
>>392039
>>learn to write
>>learn to speak publicly
>>become a manager
>>become a UX Designer
>>don't be white

good luck
>>
>>392039
>cope
>>
>>392047
UX design is where it's at
Product teams and tech companies pay fat stacks
>>
>>392100
>>392047
What does a UX designer actually do as far as day to day activities?

Just make wireframes and run user testing?
>>
>>392047
Being white in the web industry is why I can't get a job.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (60 KB, 503x443)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>392047
>>392100
>>392211
>tfw graduated last year
>degree is related but did UX bootcamp for more xp
>"I have a portfolio now time to apply to some jobs!"
>corona hits
>all Jr. UX positions require 5 years of experience
>Friend who was a design lead and a possible in to a job gets fired
>Debating just being a landscaper or something

When does the pain end bros.
>>
File: 1540081362316.jpg (87 KB, 488x410)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>go to college after divorce from wife who fucked my shit up
>Single parent of 2 that live with me and are full custody
>meet new girl which turns into GF
>6 ft tall Taiwan Girl, South Eastern Chinese Ancestry, Mountain People race
>5'8" faggot me mutt hispanic/white race
>was doing A.S. into physics
>would be mother in law said i cant date her or marry her unless i had a B.S. by year 2012
>fuck your pressure
>signed onto College online classes and switched majors into Health Care Business and Admin
>fast forward to year Dec 2011
>Complete Bachelors Degree of Science in Health Care Business and Admin
>was working full time job
>GF was living with me
>Mother and Father helped with kids as i lived with them
>all this pressure wants me to blow my brains out
>Mission complete
>2012 starts and i pursue a Masters into HCBA and focus on Sustainability Management
>become a field service tech unrelated to degree
>get M.S. in 2015
>Married already and have twins
>In the process wife got diagnosed with Epilepsy Grand Mal Siezure
>Cant work, so im still working myself
>Begining wage signed onto 60k salary
>Be me now with 110,000 student loan debt
>Had lawyers file a lawsuit to sue school against the loan to return owed money expenses for other bullshit
>cant buy a house because of this
>Wife cant work
>Twins got diagnosed with moderate autism by age 5
>Wife became abstinent due to all the stress
Not sure what else to do bros
>>
>>392243
Wew lad, death is the only option
>>
File: axzx1YM_460s.jpg (24 KB, 460x307)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Is there any UX bootcamp that's actually worth thousands of dollars or should I just do Lynda classes and claim it as a certificate?
>>
>>392256
In my xp if you have the self control you can totally teach yourself. That being said will you actually force yourself to interview people in coffee shops and force your friends and family to test your shitty prototype? If yes then you can do it and save 20k
>>
File: Wut.jpg (280 KB, 2000x1000)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>392257
Honestly I feel like I could. I've done a lot of volunteering and shit trying to get people to register to vote or whatever, interviewing people for school paper so I'm used to approaching strangers and dealing with assholes.

My problem would just be that I don't think potential employers would take me seriously. Also, how do I create a viable case studies or realistic examples to prototype when I'm not actually working for a company

Literally every job example related to graphic design that pays over 50k in my area seems to be UX related, I'm a poor wagecuck and I'm getting desperate.
>>
>>392258
>Also, how do I create a viable case studies or realistic examples to prototype when I'm not actually working for a company

That's the crux of the whole thing. UX is a field that's so dependent on other stakeholders its tough to make projects by yourself. Honestly I would just lie. I've been applying to places for about 4 months now and the more I lie the more traction I get. I'm on the verge of just redesigning my whole portfolio and pulling numbers out of my ass about who I interviewed and how much impact it had because that's all people seem to look for.
>>
>>392260
That's kinda what I was planning on doing. just fabricate one project. I want to actually do work on it, but I don't know what the premise should be.
>A small company hired me to do UI/UX for an app...that didn't end up getting made
Or something like that. Still seems like bullshit.
>>
>>392267
Yeah I dunno If you want to do a real project there's plenty of online communities you can join and try to link up with people and do real work. Take my advice with a grain of salt but it's been really hard to get into the field without industry experience and just random projects, especially now.

From what I gather it's all bullshit. UX as a defined discipline is still relatively new and you have to convince people to take it seriously. Not many people understand it and its become such a buzzword so its hard to figure out what people actually expect of you.

So imo there's no reason not to lie because everyone's lying back to you. Again, big grain of salt here, but if you went to RISD or Carnegie Mellon or some other school with a reputable UX program you wouldn't need this advice. Companies with UX mature culture that actually understand what it means hire from those channels.

So barring that, there's a lot of companies out there who heard that 'UX/UI' is cool to have who ask for 5+ years of experience + front and back end web dev experience + other bullshit for junior positions.
>>
>>392211
attend meetings doing group design exercises basically with clueless booksmart chink women telling you what to design
>>
Why do companies and HR try to overcomplicate wireframes and shit by adding more buzzwords to it to make it seem like it's calculus or something?
>>
Just got a marketing manager offer for 53k. I requested 65k.

I don't really have marketing managing experience but still seems like a big lowball. Told them my current salary was 53k too so feels dumb. I don't really want to work for them, seems like kinda a shitty company, but it would also be a step up, idk.

I just wanna be NEET bois.
>>
Working in environmental health which is a sub-branch if public health.

Mostly use Photoshop and Illustrator to annotate maps, do visual diagrams of projects and other visual aids for planning or explaining concepts to people outside my field.
>>
>>392211
fuck around a whiteboard with product owner, psychologist, data researcher and ceo with markers and post it notes looking slick and pensive
>>
>>392100
>>392778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfHcnig8Lo4&fbclid=IwAR29kmCaIdTnpPovIMZplbqEM4ov9GgHC_O-VoV6Ycx4aV5V1o_kmyD89Nc

Let it be known that science is worse than a coin flip when it comes to reproducibility, social sciences are worse which UX hustlers are relying upon.

We'll be lucky if plumbing still works in a couple of decades.
>>
>>392039
Graphic design short order cook. I make what they want exactly and quickly. I spend maybe 10 hours a week on their requests and I get the rest to myself. I make 500000 a year gross
>>
>>392100
>UX design
Good luck if you're not woman, nigger or trannie.
>>
File: 1vfu5i[1].jpg (26 KB, 352x352)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>392305
>companies and HR
Justification of their existence. The whole field is a scam. 99% of the case studies and pulled out of the ass. IN the end of the day a CEO or Product manager will always tell to the designer what to do, because this is how the things work in real life. You cannot let some retarded pussy with funky title to destroy your business model or revenues because >muh users. Nor will the developers rewrite the whole application because of 3 milliseconds less reaction time and more (((empathy)) in your latest design.

t. UI UX Web designer with 10 years experience
>>
>>392822
>case studies and
*are
>>
How hard is it start career in motion graphics?
>>
>>392039
3k $/month in russia is a lot lmao
>>
Is it meme that a white guy can't get a UX job?
>>
seriously I don't know from where to start
>>
>>392039
COBOL developer. ~$92k

Graphic design was ever only a hobby for me, for my career I actually aquired some useful skills. I still make a salary that is on the lower end of my profession, but it's alright for now, love my collegues so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.
>>
>>392211
They try their hardest to make applications less usable
>>
>>392039
>college dropout (original degree path unrelated)
>took a 2 week motion graphics / AE certification
>got a job doing jr level motion graphics
>learned creative programs on the job from agency partners
>12 years later...
>Senior Art Director
>125k a year
>no degree so I keep getting passed up for ACD
>>
>>393075
yo wtf time to apply for those fucking 4 week courses i see on instagram promote
>>
>>392039
god im happy to not live in america
>>
>>393006
>COBOL developer
>useful skills
If I wanted to commit necrophilia I'd work as a mortician, not use a half-dead terrible programming language from the 60's
>>
coming from an art director at an international ad agency: depending on what you actually want to achieve, you have options you can try:

if you want to actually do decent graphic design or visual communication in general

> change job to a different studio or agency, keep earning shit (or even worse than now) but mayyybe do nice work. As a creative, a dull position kinda fucks you up when you can't really stand behind what you're doing so get out of there asap
> switch to part time (60-80%) and take on a shit load of competition work that's just fun and challenging and maybe you'll actually earn something or at the least add to your portfolio.

if you want to "matter"
> take a more artistic approach. of all the thousands, almost no corporate graphic designer really achieves fame as you're just doing jobs for firms. Even if you do an amazing job, you're just a visual salesman and the credit and profit will often just go to whoever gave you the briefing. However, if you can "sell" your art and make it seem important, you might find some satisfaction. Unfortunately highly unlikely that you'll be famous but maybe you can move someone by what you've created.
>>
>>392243
>autistic twins
>abstinent wife who can't help
wouldve deleted by now yeesh good luck bro
>>
File: 1595981320076.jpg (429 KB, 1535x1800)
429 KB
429 KB JPG
What do you guys make of the whole print to order and drop shipping thing?

I've been a graphic designer for nearly 10 years (mainly working in print production) but always seem to get shafted with inconsistent hours and contracts ect.

Been unemployed since the shut down and thinking maybe I should just work on some stuff and put it up to see if it gets any orders, the company deals with printing and sending orders and just give me commission at lump each month. Just worried about the welfare coming down on me if they find out but it's a plan to be a side thing at best and I hopefully have an interview next week. Thoughts??
>>
>>392039
I would
>>
>>393662
Risky times. If there ever was a point in which to plan out something bold, now’s probably that point.
>>
>>392039
well I dont have a job, im still in uni, im studying architecture and civil engineering but I really just wanna drop out and sell my shitty designs and make clothes, im hoping that buy the time my degree is finished ill have a sort of ok online following and be able to make money of my designs, well actually hoping to get there by the end of the year
>>
I do communications for a local non-profit and worked in political communications before this
My current job is a fucking shitshow of a job description where I do everything from TV interviews to design
They hired me with near zero design experience other than some social media graphics
I made a ton more in politics
>>
>be me
>Do book and magazine design
>become indesign god
>everyone else is trying to work on ad agencies, illustration or motion
>become the only editorial designer in town
>make profits
>open my own publishing house
>got my shit kicked in by a couple of fuck ups
>Now I teach book design in several college
>have a mythical status as the grand old editorial wizard
> earn several times less than I did
>be depressed all the time
>>
>>392243
You'll do it anon, have faith.
>>
>>395088
Maybe it's time to get clients from elsewhere, anon.
>>
>>392981
Your in America anon the White man/woman can do anything. Its simply a cope from Pajeets, Mexicans and Asians to discourage you.
>>
Does anyone here work in an ad agency who can tell me rates (prices charged) of shit like billboards and wall ads and all that good stuff?
>>
>>392243
Theres always time to start a new life dude
>>
>>392243
Your would be mother in law fucked you up by causing tremendous stress. Stress wears life down.
That and jews too, via the extreme loans.
>>
>>392245
It's sad but it's not enough to be all doomer about it.
>>
I'm starting a marketing graphic design job for CAD$2500/month. I wonder how it will go.
>>
I get paid 1000 euro a month working print and promo, but I'm leaving my job in 2 weeks to work on my own freelance stuff. I have like 3k saved up.
>>
>>395217
What does that have to do with my question?
>>
>>395088
>Now I teach book design
baka
>>
>>392039
>art school with focus on design history and printmaking
>work as jr temp for various studios around the city
>mostly research and helping with decks
>quit and start working for artists, galleries, small businesses. help in any way i can
>ignore the internet fad, double down on making real things
>learn almost every type of production i can. from weaving to acid etching
>barely scrape by for 10 years
>studios realize their designer only know how to make websites and instagram grids
>start getting endless requests for leading teams
>fly all over the world, define my own deliverables, make more than i'll ever need
>>
>>392039
Is getting a Graphic Design degree a meme?
>>
>>395318
If you need someone to explain to you the difference between hot and cold colours in a university for a semester you are legitimately retarded.

Students go to art courses to fuck each other in the butt with paint brushes, not to learn about graphic design.
>>
UX researcher. I don't design anymore, I only run design thinking workshops where we hash out a whiteboard sketch. Our XD monkeys... I mean designers... apply the corporate look and feel to the boxes and arrows, and I test it with users. I make 50k.

>>392256
You can learn it yourself. It's not quantum mechanics. You just need the right mindset, which is to be humble and accept that users almost never understand your first design iteration. Then you need to learn to shut up and not explain anything to anyone during a user test. If you can do these 2 things, congratulations, you're a user researcher. I'm not even joking - but these traits are so rare among engineers that it pays decent money to posses them.

As for faking a project - maybe. But don't you have any kind of idea, at all, for a personal project? Mock it up in XD/Figma/Sketch/whatever, then apply the two qualities listed above and test it with 5 friends. Make changes wherever they failed, and voila.
>>
>>395318
It's not a meme, but "design" is a big field, that covers a lot of ground, and few companies train now, they want you ready to go, minute one - but with a good portfolio and experience, they'll discount the lack of a degree. But if all you do is throw some dumb logos and glitch graphics onto a free hosting domain, don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
A degree in design is mostly conceptual, things like color theory, type theory, editing, so when an editor sends a layout back you know what the hell they're talking about, grammar, page structure, etc. A good design school can be worth it - at the very least a couple of classes in some of the more technical subjects.
>>
>>392808

Real.
>>
>>392080
like pottery
>>
>>392233
I went to school
Got a degree
Had a job in an office for a year
Absolutely hated it
Resigned from my job cause I got busted drinking at work and was gonna get fired probably
Went to work in a Machine shop running machines and fabricating
Quit drinking
Love it

Maybe landscaping isn’t a bad idea
>>
Head of UX. Team of 10 UX, UI designers and user researchers. Portfolio of 4 products
>>
>>392039
> got an internship at a major label during 3rd year of college
>got hired as a pr/marketing guy after despite just picking up things on the fly as an intern
>dropped out of art college
>lost my job when corona happened
>get hired as a consultant by a streaming platform because of my past job (lol)
>currently 4th round at a new label to work as global marketing manager

I never should've gone into art college
>>
>>392822
This. Product manager or general manager always overrule whatever design you come up with.
>>
>>392243
>would be mother in law said i cant date her or marry her unless i had a B.S. by year 2012
lol
>>
>>392039
Graphic design is worthless but CAD has value.

I design light engineering parts that after CAM I can hold in my hand.

Pissing around with images or monkeying with fonts is unfulfilling.

I think of something; I design it on-screen; I hold it in my hand, fresh off the CNC machine before I go home before I go home.

I'd pay them to do my job. Life doesn't get better than this!
>>
>>396235
you type like a dying old white dude halfway through a midlife crisis
>>
File: Reusable 3.jpg (56 KB, 680x383)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>392047
>Can write
>Great Public Speaker
>Doing a bullshit bachelor in creative media design
>Lightskin Nigger

All I wanna do is write movie scripts but apparently imma be rich. Thanks 4chan.
>>
>>392243
This is so sad it should be a copypaste.
I've got grand mals too and I hate putting so much pressure on my family. Try to see your problems as the bitter part that makes the coffee of life so vitalizing. Or try meth. You do you.
>>
>>392233
Looking into construction cabling, you can easily make 6 figures pulling fiber cables
>>
>Be me in 2005
>got into game art/design
>"switched majors" to graphic design (which was everything game design had except Game Theory and the 3D applications)
>Technically didnt finish so no degree but all the knowledge (very stupid decisions in the past which im paying for now.)
>worked shitty Customer Service jobs to pay bills while continued graphic design on the side.
>I used the designs I made as ads on my IG to slowly but surely build xp
>Finally found a "visual artist" position with a custom garment company w shit pay
>I dont LOVE what I do but I enjoy that I use my personal computer to work (I use photoshop and illustrator all day everyday)
>Im still working on the side creating designs which get sent to the company i work for (on the sly because they dont want to pay me for that work.)

Some insight:
Dont give up, take care of your responsibilities and find/make time. It isnt easy.
Its harder with kids but doable.
Practice, Practice Practice and dont be afraid to post and spam hashtags.
Eventually you'll find work. Theres always someone doing something that needs artists.
Stay focused
>>
>>392243
You keep posting this shit everywhere. Fuck off already!
>>
Fuck this shit bros. I’m done. I’m just gonna join the army for 6 years then the police force, work until I get a lifetime pension then NEET for the rest of life. Fuck me!
>>
>>393006
DUDE... No joke I was just considering going for Cobol programmer and working on graphic design as a hobby.

How did you get your cobol job?
>>
>>392245
Dependant wife and children. He can’t even die.
>>
>>392233
why only apply to senior positions?
do random free projects, that counts as experience too
>>
>finally had the perfect job at a print shop after a year of searching
>pay is good, get satisfaction from seeing people liking my designs face to face
>finally have some structure and schedule in life
>work there for 3 months
>corona hits
>everything goes to shit
>had to do staff reduction

I try and do stuff on 99designs now but it's a really shitty grind and it's more luck than skill.
All design jobs where I am require way more experience than I got to accumulate.

Good luck bros
>>
>>395318
Depends on the employer, but mostly yes, you're better off learning by yourself and going to college for something else (maybe in a similar field). I think college is only useful if you do practical stuff that gets you at least some experience, or helps you network, or offers some sort of palpable thing that could actually help you get a job.
Other than that you're better off watching tutorials from Indian dudes.
>>
>>392243
>masters in sustainability
>life is unsustainable
hehe
>>
Do big name agencies still get paid big money during this recession/covid time?
>>
>>392808
Web dev and feel the same way - I'm a McDonalds burger flipper and they expect a 4 star Michelin experience.
I'd rather be doing manual labor.
>ANON! You missed this one sentence on my 19 page work request. ANONS BOSS! LOOK!
>Fuck off. I don't have time to read all that shit and get into your head and triple check everything and 'add value'. Just be a bro and work with me
>>
>>392245
Shut it, you miserable evil fuck.
>>
Shit guys, I'm just a low-tier desk jockey, maybe 30,000 a year, own land next to my parents' that will one day be mine as well. Live in an old trailer. Single, no interest. Likewise no interest in "improving my lot in life." Enjoying my simple pleasures and low-key existence, taking decent care of health, just coastin' really.
>>
>>392497
Leave those faggots. 53 k when they know you already make the same is the brightest red flag they could show you
>>
Can’t seem to get a promotion no matter what I do. I end up taking on all the responsibilities of a senior or a manager, get commended for my quality of work and being great to work with, but never get the recognition in title even when I explicitly ask for it, always a 180 bullshit made-up reason that my work sucks and that I can’t gel with others. Same story when I’ve moved companies. Ive tried being humble, being Patient, being assertive and being aggressive. I’ve even ragequit a company over this after I did my dues and requested a step up after all the good work I’ve done. Feels like I’m perpetually kept down. All my peers are rising in their careers on a lot less and their higher recognition in job role leads to even higher status. Stuck in a Vicious circle where title seems to matter more than actual responsibilities so I can’t move up when entering a new job, made worse with fewer opportunities meaning people have to accept lower stakes. I’ve been circling entry level and entering my early thirties. Don’t know what else to do as it’s really hurting my pride and affecting my mental health.
>>
>>392243
only thing i can say is push through it should get better
a degree will help u know or later in life so u made the right desicion
>>
>>392243
just push through itanon thats all i can say a degree will help u know or later so just hope for the best and make sure ur kids get proper love and the treatment they might need as far as i can seei dont htink u made any bad descision it just fatev
>>
>>392243
I'd start by not being dependent on people's opinions, and do your own research until you have a clear understanding of priorities. Like for example, autism is the result of poisons causing inflammation of the brain, read about how autism has been mitigated and even cured if you're not a woe-is-me, uninvolved parent. Also, any woman who tries to manipulate your life like that is supremely entitled, tell her to fuck off.
Good luck man, take some time off to think things through.
>>
>>392808
>500000
The fuck you do. You even have an Adobe process running on your machine that's not related to reading or creating a PDF and there's no way you're making more than 200k/yr.
>>
>>392821
Biggest troll would be to ironically become a trannie just to get a job. Im from Eastern Europe so i dont have to listen to your degeneracy
>>
>>396726
Nothing wrong with a life like that. Would actually enjoy it, with friends aswell.
>>
>>392039
product designer & front-end web dev
make like $60k a year, decent enough for midwest
>>
>>392981
just work for a small agency full of dude bros

>>393006
finance?

>>393075
based as fuck

>>395946
team i work on wants to get into user testing our product but our PM and stakeholders don't want to give us access to users, any tips?

>>396101
I could never get into a lead / management role, dealing with people sucks

>>396767
have you considered becoming a minority
>>
I make a living selling posters I design through etsy and designing flyers and album art for people. Uh, my only advice is to just really be unafraid to shill yourself everywhere. For the last three months I've probably been making, on average, at least one new piece every day, and then I publish it to all my social media platforms and go to Facebook marketplace and try to sell to people in every major city I can think of.

I don't really think this is "good" advice because I'm barely keeping my head afloat, but it's what I do.
>>
>>392497
It is, but not a big lowball. 60 was pushing it and is for more senior marketing managers, marketing specialists get around 50-55 so as long as your workload is light you made out like a bandit, since you still have the MANAGER rather than SPECIALIST title.

I can't even land 50k - with an MBA.... and years of internships. UGH.

Nobody wants to be NEET, don't lie.

>>393006
COBOL still *exists*? I definitely wouldn't go anywhere near ANY kind of computer code stuff. Ugh.. there's a reason I needed a non STEM major/minor...
>>
>>397509
VERY RETRO/early 80's/late 70's vibe.
Not bad anon, not bad.

Though, SMONKING a cigarette makes me want to kill things...
>>
Can someone with a career in graphic design answer something for me? I started "freelancing" (aka, picking up random design jobs from CL) infrequently as a method of gaining experience and pocket cash.

Today, I spoke with a woman who (in my perspective) made it seem as if she wanted to contest my work against another artist's work, and choose whom to pay after she decided which one she liked more. Is this how it's supposed to work? I literally cannot afford the time, energy, or supplies it would take to do this for every single client without knowing for sure that the work I've done will be paid for. Nobody has ever explained to me what it's actually like in the graphic design industry, so I don't want to miss-step and potentially lose out on a client.

Does this sound like a good basis of an email I might send in response? "That sounds great, I have plenty of ideas and look forward to creating this for you in a timely manner. As soon as you decide between artists, I can begin working on your poster."
>>
>>397540
No, that's called spec work and is an absolute assfucking if you're the creative. If you're freelancing to pay your bills, you should skip projects like this.

100% that client will use your "competitor's" rates to lowball your rate as much as possible.
>>
>>397542
Okay, I thought so. Cool! Thank-you.
>>
>>397535

We're all just skeletrons smonking cigarettes, buddy.
>>
>>392039
Interesting
>>
File: white-79.png (411 KB, 1396x626)
411 KB
411 KB PNG
>>392039
>>396093
This.
Liberal arts major. Painter, illustrator, cartoonist, graphic designer, motion, web design, some front-end.
Did it for 15+ years.
Now I work as carpenter, ventilation gut, and sevege plant. Those jobs pay decent, are solid & secure, Cockvirus didn't do shit to my job market, and I dont have to deal with liberal sassy sissy fagots, I work with engineers and real men.
Also stopped drinking so much. Still paint & draw from time to time.
>>
>>392822
>t. UI UX Web designer with 10 years experience
Did you switch to UX UI from Web Design?
>T.ex Web Designer
>>
>>397658
why does this read like a copypasta
>>
I work for a non-profit arts organization as a "Marketing Cooridnator," but I am actually the only person on the team.

I write the marketing team's budget, designed our website, place all of our ads online and in traditional media, manage our social media accounts and email marketing, and also manage ticket sales. I do a lot of our smaller graphic design projects and manage our photographers and videographers at events.

I make $45k :-(.
>>
>>397693
I want to add that my boss says he sees my potential and wants me to run the department one day
>>
>>397691
I dunno. I hardly ever visit GD because I don't remember finding any decent design here ever.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (5 KB, 225x225)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>393408
Agree 100% with all you wrote
>If you want to matter
I got famous after going political. Im a medicore GD but turned out Im creative and some of my shit\memes went close to global.
No money from it and can hardly show it to anyone I know, but it gave me satisfaction and sense of fulfillment, which helps with every day life & work.
>>
Well look at the bright side.
If I ever need a graphic designer I could find one for peanuts.
>>
>>396767
>Ive tried being humble, being Patient, being assertive and being aggressive

Try being friendly. Seriously. Read How to Make Friends and Influence People.
>>
>>397540
>>397555
Contracts dude. Make them. 25% up front and 25% for every submittable. The shitty nutsacks will weed themselves out as soon as you ask for real money.
>>
>>397715
If I ever need a graphic designer I can just do it myself. Doesn't look so hard.
>>
>>392243
110.000 in debt lmfao you realize an online degree is 15K right? No amount of justification for why a brick and mortar college is better can explain the extra 95k you are going to spend the rest of your life paying off.
>>
working at a small company where I spend 70% of my time printing and finishing and 30% designing, its not great but its a five minute drive from home and its super relaxed. I could probably land a junior role in London but commute times and costs would kill me.
>>
>>393075
Fucking boomer luck right here.
I bet you have a real firm handshake.

I've spent my entire adult life editing anime images for /a/, how does one even get into the graphic design industry?
>>
>>392243
Chad race Taiwanese qt, still fucked up.
White genes are weak, please encourage your people to not breed.
>>
I don't want to make a whole new thread to ask this, but could someone give any advice on pricing when it comes to small businesses? I have an opportunity for a paid internship but they want to know what I expect to be paid hourly or so. I'm not a shitty graphic artist (realistically), but I'm not a whiz at it either. I have no idea what to shoot for, but I currently make 16 at my non-graphic job (that I want to move away from).
>>
>>398821
In any negotiation, ask for something higher than what you want. That sets the anchor high enough so they will offer something lower than what they're most willing to pay. Find an agreement near the middle. If they want to hire you, they won't for a salary they don't want to pay, they'll just counter-offer.

I'd say start by asking for $25/hour, but honestly I have no idea. Do not take my word on this number.
>>
>lorem ipsum
>>
Can I get a job with an AA in GD or do I need a bachelor's?
>>
>>392039
>62
>Die soon
My mom is 65 and none of that shit is on her horizon. This woman likely never took care of her body.
>>
>>397845
Honestly sounds comfy as fuck.
If I could find a super relaxed environment and make enough to own a home, which is basically any steady on the books job, since it's cheaper than renting; I'd feel great.
>>
>>398838
Same. I was told degrees don't matter, portfolios matter. Look for jobs: Everyone wants you to have a bachelor's. (Also they want you to be able to do web design, and be adept at the entire microsoft office suite)
For some reason I have an AAS instead of AA as well.
>>
>>397694
>wants me to run the dept. one day
Uh, but you do already? Maybe that means he'll give you a raise EVENTUALLY
>>
Learned Adobe messing around with it in high-school, making album art, logos, and music videos for local rappers. Went to art school, dropped out, lied to get an internship at a big oil company.. They liked me so much they kept me on.. Made 40k to design miscellaneous packaging/marketing materials, got to direct a TV commercial.. Got super depressed/suicidal and quit. Here now..
>>
>>397693
>I only make 45k sitting in an office doing literally nothing all day frownyface
Female detected
>>
>>398852
hey, teach me how to lie... what sort of thing did you say? hope you're doing okay bro
>>
>>395279
can u elaborate, what exactly do they want you to do
>>
>>392039
motion graphics is good money
>>
>>392243
>moderate autism
not really a big deal with the right upbringing. raise them right and they could potentially both be successful social butterflies or high iq overachievers
>>
i’m currently picking shit at an amazon warehouse but trying to weasel my way into a digital marketing job with whoever will take me. i’ve got all the individual skills required but don’t have much ‘professional’ experience to write about
>>
>>392047
You'll never be a woman
>>
>>392233
somehow I read 'landscaper' as 'lapdancer'
do that anon
>>
>>392243
so you have 4 kids?
>>
>>395895
fucking kek
>>
>>392100
I'm doing UI/UX course now and i'm pretty excited about my future. I really want to get into Fintech and people have been telling me it's a really boring industry so i'll prolly have no trouble getting in since no one wants to do it. Don't know how much I can believe but here we are!
>>
>>395318
that's how I found my wife
the degree is useless tho
>>
>>392039
I already fucked her
>>
>>392233
Know that employers are basically describing their ideal candidate, you don't actually have to meet all standards. Jr. positions used to say shit like that before covid too but of course people need somewhere to actually gain that initial experience and they know that... They'd just prefer if you already have it but UX designers are really in demand from what I can tell so with a strong portfolio your chances may be much better than you think.
>>
>>392230
convert to islam and wear traditional islamic clothing
>>
File: twtich.jpg (4 KB, 200x200)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
is there any money to be made in designing twitch overlays? static ones look easy as hell if you just get a template set up. but it looks like a lot are animated now and i dont have experience with AE
>>
>>392039
>dropout, no formal grades
>started learning photoshop & 3d graphics at age 14 on Win98 family PC w/ dial-up
>now do lighting for video games, learning other stuff like design to aim for art director job
>>
>>400196
Depends. I've made twitch shit before for some Madden streamer, quick work and earned something like 100 USD for 3 hours of work. Amazing money for my country, not sure about yours.
>>
>>395207
damn so starting salary at 15/hr? what province are you from bro?
>>
>>400851
interesting. im in US, thatd still be a good chunk for not much work. howd you land that gig? was it a static overlay or animated?
>>
File: 1605323114911.jpg (75 KB, 640x640)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>graduate in 2011 with design degree from shitty state college
>move to a major west coast city and start working in tech
>bounce around between a few places
>it gets too expensive to live there, move to the midwest
>work at a couple of studios
>2018 start working in house as an art director for an outdoor company
>generalist, able to do almost everything, not great at any of them
>things are stable

Making roughly 80k, but I feel like I'm falling behind career wise. Thinking about going back to an agency.

Being an AD sucks in some ways. You're still designing, but not focused on it entirely. You see all the designers making shit and feel like you're not keeping up.

Once your a CD you're doing almost no design, but start making the big bucks.
>>
File: 11092020_pluspaper.jpg (4.64 MB, 3600x3600)
4.64 MB
4.64 MB JPG
>>392039
i make $50,000 a year + awesome benefits + travel being a marketing coordinator.
>never settle
>work your ass off, then work some more
>create a body of work that sells your skills properly for MONEY
>>
>>393024
But just to the point that you still keep using the application and waste time
>>
>>401402
>Making roughly 80k, but I feel like I'm falling behind career wise. Thinking about going back to an agency.
I've thought similarly. Working at a place now earning roughly 65K, doing primarily graphic design, with a bit of video & photography - but because it's in-house, I feel there's a risk of falling behind skill-wise. I'm not even an AD, I report to one, but because we have a fairly small team, I've become more of a generalist. I'm wondering if I can keep up with industry trends by trying to keep myself active with side projects. College dropout, but I was working professionally in the industry before I would've graduated anyway, not sure how replicable my career path would be. Happy with my current job, but the risk of falling behind feels very real.

>Once your a CD you're doing almost no design, but start making the big bucks.
At this stage, I've noticed that CDs are just really good at working with people to satisfy their requests and get what they want accomplished.
>>
>>392830
It's entirely based upon your portfolio, so I'd say it's as hard as closing the gap between where you're at and where you want to be.
>>
I don't know what to study or whether to study at university, should I learn 3d or graphic design? Any advice?
>>
>>399511
I worked fintech. It was hell for me personally. Shitty bosses, bad communication, no clear interest in creating a unique visual brand but just copying the competition. They hired a web designer only to fire him a day later for not agreeing with the boss his badly drawn and shit idea of a wireframe.

The only moments that were worth it are the company parties where you get shitfaced and you get offered cocaine by one of your bosses.
>>
What if you have skills but you're just not as good as you think you should be?

I have experience in motion graphics, video editing, photoshop, etc. but I feel like a total failure in everything I do.
>>
>>396767
My original follow-up disappeared? Since posting this, I've found a new position. It's a promotion. Title elevated to reflect rank and responsibility. Just started, so need to prove myself and adapt to the role, but feel like I broke through.

One hard pill I swallowed in getting up to where I wanted to be was taking routes that I'd ordinarily shut down. Doing so led to my boost. I'm not doing something I'm crazy passionate about but it can definitely get me closer to what I need.

To the anon that said I should try to be friendlier. Lol, I have been. Even to the extent where leaving an agency I worked at was painted as a great blow to company morale (and a great fuck you to the bad managers there). But friendliness shouldn't mean agreeability. I had to be disagreeable to get where I needed, which is what I meant by assertive/aggressive. You can be that way too without being an asshole, though the people you're challenging might not see it that way.
>>
I'm making $2000/mo selling random designs on print-on-demand sites like Redbubble and Teepublic. Living in South America, so that's actually good money.

Really enjoy working on my own schedule, but sometimes I get mad anxious at relying so much on these websites for a living. A single ban or a tweak in the search algorithms could be the death of my income.

Wish I could throw in a part-time job for socialization/anxiety relief, but there's no such thing around here. Its either 46 weekly hours of slavery for $400, or bust.
>>
>>401737
stop feeling. i mean completely. just detach from all feelings
>>
UX team manager, 90k bri-ish
>>
>>397509
what does this mean???
>>
I used to be a preflight specialist (prepess stuff, edit clients' files and image editing, a lot of indesign stuff) had to move and don't know what i should do now. Trying to find a job doing the same thing but it's difficult because preflight or prepress seems to be somewhat niche. any help?
>>
>>392243
>abstinent wife
>autistic kids
>tiger mom in law
Breed outside your race and face the consequences, both cultural and biological.
>>
>>396093
so, moral of the story...
>learn a trade
>>
>>396093
>>396093
>quit instead of getting fired for severance

Who else /retarded/ here?
>>
Where to find jobs as a freelancer from home? 5er and upwagie are literally garbage
>>
>>398843
She doesn't actually think she's going to die soon, she's just trying to use false-sympathy/pity as leverage to become e-famous or get a yahoo news article about her for no reason.
This is what happens when narcissists grow old.
>>
sr graphic designer

$65k + bonus
>>
i'm a designer for a company that does music festivals. don't make that much i guess, 55k a year
>>
File: krabs.jpg (82 KB, 1024x732)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
I graduated last year and I haven't got a single job in over a year of applications. My portfolio's not great but I keep trying to add stuff that seems good. Got some interesting UX projects that don't look like dogshit, packaging and frontend with some commerce shit.

At this point since there's no NEET system in this country I might have to kill myself in some months when my money runs out. I can't even seem to qualify for minimum wage jobs like pizzas and shit. I'm honestly scared.

An acquaintance of mine barely went to gd school and now does mad dosh doing animations and all he had to do was simply just dedicating the time I did for college just on After Effects and Premiere. That's it. So yes, school is a meme, no joke.
>>
>>403211
post portfolio
>>
>>403199
Pretty good to make show flyers though, don't you think? Beats making local show flyers for free.
I'd honestly love a job in that niche. Oh I'm designing shit for music? Cool I get that culture. Beats being hit out of left field with a project whose demographic you have no experience with.
>>
>>403257
yeah don't get me wrong it's probably the coolest job i'll ever have, but would probably make more working at some agency or something
>>
>>392280
>clueless booksmart chink women
this nigga in the real world
>>
>>392779
y2k humour. is it meant to be ironically funny or just funny?
>>
>>403262
Fair enough. It's always weighing having a cool job v.s. big bucks.
>>
>>392243
Leave her. That's exactly what she would do if the tables were turned. Quit being a pussy.
>>
300-400k/yr, depending on stock increase.

10+ years experience. UX design at a publicly traded tech company will get you here. Aim for FAANGs or anything trending. Always apply to a company that has a higher reputation than your current one. Apply for at least one job a month. Never stay at a company longer than 4 years (standard vest for a hiring bonus) unless you're golden handcuffed.
>>
>>392039
Pay to downloads player
>>
>>392039
also graphic designer here, i make a shit wage. 31k€ gross, after tax thats 20k€. End me already desu, I also fucking hate graphic design now. Never fall for the do what you love and you never have to work again trap
>>
>>403710
how do you stay even 4 years if you apply every month?
>>
self employed high school drop out, self taught skills. 200-300k annually but i work nearly 80 hours a week. Not a starving artist, but a miserable one.
>>
>>392230
Change your name to a hispanic name, say your family fled Argentina during the dictatorship
>>
Any tips for finding more work? Freelance or full-time?
I'm scouring indeed, LinkedIn, nuevoo, and more recently, behance and dribble.

I got fired from my first agency job a few months ago because I naively thought that I could not voluntarily work uncompensated overtime and avoid forcefully socializing with my co workers after work and stuff, they said the quality of my work wasn't the issue, just the organizational fit. I don't think im a savant, but I don't think im outright bad or anything, especially for a junior.

Ever since I've been searching like a mother fucker, and I'm finding it really hard to land any hits at other places. I got let go mid November, and I've only had a couple of freelance clients keeping me from necking myself.

Any tips? I've recently kind of rediscovered a passion for doing design and being creative for myself, should I just keep searching and pumping my portfolio up?
>>
>>399294
any tips on how to break into it? I've been doing animated cg mockups and some bumper tier stuff, is it better to do logo/character/type animation instead? I'm confident I could do it, id just need to add some pieces to the portfolio if it would be wise.
>>
>tfw graduate with Web Dev / Design degree in 2018
>Get 67k job in mid size midwest city
>Realize I really dont like modern web dev, and how bloated everything has become with 1000 libraries and guidelines
>Get let go in July from Corona downturn
>Move cross country away from GF and senpai to my dream city of Seattle
>1 month in realize its no better than any where else and I fucked up
>Still no job, looking for support engineer remote role but most are 45-55k
>Deciding id rather focus on what makes me happy than change my whole life chasing a career I dont care about.
>Back in old city, living in GF's parents basement (they love me and are chill) and typing this before I start my 3 interview for the day.
>>
>>392497
in that situation I'd try to get at least 58K by asking them to meet you at 60K...that being said, them offering 12K less than your asking knowing it's your current salary is insulting at best and a huge red flag at worst. If you take the gig don't expect to enjoy it.
>>
File: typeface flowchart.png (431 KB, 2479x1743)
431 KB
431 KB PNG
>>392039
>Be me working industrial electric
>Grinding AF and not in good way
>Decide to go back to school
>Want to do something both with art and tech
>Went to design school
>Bought out by Career Education Corporation
>Got expensive quick
>Forced to go PT and work FT to pay
>In school for 6 years
>Grad w/B.A.S. into recession
>Work retail for years as a framer
>Then as a bouncer/doorman
>All the while trying to freelance
>Get gigs feels good man
>Debt becomes too much
>Start work in factory
>Too smart for my on good
>They notice
>Promoted to lead tech
>Start making 60k a year
>Paying off student loan, helping family, everything looking up
>Empty inside
>Want something else, would rather bounce and freelance

THE biggest mistake that my school did was not have classes on promotion, marketing, and any UX/UI design, can print with the best though.
>>
Was a Nightshift Manager for a pretty big firm in the UK, got dismissed 7 weeks ago for photoshopping colleagues onto pornshoots.
>>
>>392039
BA English/MA in journalism, reporter for a small paper for a while, eventually rage quit at the amount of shit i had to eat for my 32K a year circa 2010, switched to marketing/copywriter with some UI/graphics responsibilities (self taught) ... landed a hailmary interview at a conservative PR firm for creative director while having absolutely no right to do so, killed it i guess (or was the only person with the skillset willing to work for darth sidious tier clients, made six figs for a couple years before laid off, moved again and started my own freelance thing. still consult for PR place doing print design shit, now do like phony prestige branding packages for idiots.

im a total fraud. i make good money without having any skills whatsoever. no advice other than the cooler the client, the worse the money. all of my best years as an entrepreneur have all been onerous shitwork for retarded/rich/vain clients who want to spend a shitload on their doomed vanity idea.

also don't bill hourly/per project...set up retainer relationships.
>>
that´s fuckin´ sad

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.