[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

What do you guys think of the new Toucan Sam design?
>>
File: toucan.jpg (42 KB, 650x366)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Is this an improvement over the classic design?
>>
Sucks. Old toucan looks like he’s funny and can crack a joke. New one looks gay.
>>
How the fuck does his calarts mouth work when he's got a beak?. That's my biggest complaint, in the old one you can clearly see an upper and lower beak while the new one is just ???
>>
>>387804
It's just a marketing ploy to get assholes like us talking about Froot Loops (even if it's largely negative) so that it'll trend enough to be seen by normal consumers who don't give a shit what a cartoon character looks like.

I predict that in a month, Sam will go back to his classic design. And if he doesn't, then that means all of us complaining really have aged out of the target demographic and haven't a clue what actual six year olds appreciate.
>>
>>387833
It's a stylistic decision based on A) animating him cheaply B) and that who cares he's not real.
>>
File: 1588759665174.jpg (111 KB, 657x527)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>387856
It's true, no six year old gives a fuck about anatomy nor detail, they just want cute and cuddly things, we're just like old hags ragging on
Even if it's technically inferior in the end by and large that stupid looking gradient beak bird will win
>>
His beak in the redesign looks like it's ve a pain in the ass to animate
>>
>>387858
>A) animating him cheaply
This is probably it, he doesn’t look like that on the box in the animation.

https://youtu.be/jUJIfCdzMNk
>>
>>387804
if you care about this you are fully cucked beyond redemption
>>
>>387966
Explain how you come to that conclusion, instead of calling OP an asshole, a dipshit, a retard, a dumbass, a numbnuts, a piss-for-brains, a waste fo space, a creep, a whiny little child,

OR ACTUALLY READING HIS FUCKING POST and see that OP didn't actually state that he cared one iota about Toucan Sam's redesign?

How on earth is he (and I'm presuming this is a he, because aren't we all?) a cuckold, which actually means having a sexual partner fuck someone else either for their own gratification or it being legitimate infidelity, for posting something he obviously doesn't like, but is framing it as though he's taking a temperature of opinions?

Why even bother having words like cuckold if you're going to morph it to mean "person I think is silly for getting bother over a cartoon character?"

You have the entire world at your finger tips! It's a magical tool for creative profanity! But no! You decide that the word you're gonna pull out and attempt to humiliate OP with is "Cuck!" Because you'd rather waste time like the rest of us on this stupid website instead of coming up with some other pointed insult! You're just gonna be another lemming in a long line of uncreative thinkers and lonely cumstains, spouting off some buzzword you read on /pol/ because you can't be bothered to develop something vaguely approaching an original thought, huh!

And you'll just giggle to yourself, call me a cuck, and pretend that on the scoreboard that circles the universe notches one number higher next to your actual real-life name, for a game that has no winners.

You make me sick.
>>
>>388014
madfag
>>
>>387805
looks like steven universe buttfucked him into mindbreak territory, but I hated that shit show so who's to say, maybe kids want this
>>
>>387882
Fuck this is real, isn't it?
>>
File: cereal-3.jpg (250 KB, 510x678)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>387805
Left is the early 2000s version. *This* is the classic design.
>>
File: prod_img-3394699_fl.jpg (44 KB, 300x447)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
even if that meme is just a ploy can we talk about the fact that apparently at some point they decided this bird needed realistic man hands?
>>
>>388264
Bestcan.

>>388266
He’s sort of hand humanish hands for years (the pic I attached is from a google search “toucan Sam 1980s,” but it didn’t specify a specific year).
It just looks more jarring when rendered in 3D and with more palm creases.
>>
>>387804
you just know that in a few weeks they will announce it as being gay
>>
>>388296
But friend, he’s always been gay! Look at the past 60 years of evidence, sheeple!
>>
>>388296
Mad gay, they even ripped off the steven universe music and made him a british twink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=226JC7SGJ_8

>>387833
Literally has two mouths
>>
>>387804
fuck cal arts
>>
>>388264
This is so good. Kelloggs could just go back to this and the public would eat it up.

>>388280
That 80s version and the 3D render are both different levels of freaky due to the hand-wings. They did the right thing in the 2000s when they gave him proper wings like in
>>387805
>>
>>387805
CalArts fag did it?
>>
>>388264
man, this is so fucking kino
>>
It’s good
>>
>>387805
Too stylized, they could do a better job, but it's not that bad
>>
>>387804
It looks fine, unlike the 3D monstrosity >>388266 they've been using. A sugary kids' cereal deserves a sugary simple brightly colored mascot. The only thing that's bad about it is the rainbow beak which is incongruent with the rest of the design.
>>
>>387804
in Belgium they tried an even cheapier marketing trick and replaced him with a fucking unicorn
>>
its terrible, i despise it
>>
>>387804
Looks like this Saturday morning breakfast cereal was influenced by Saturday morning cartoons
>>
File: bird.png (173 KB, 334x366)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>387805
I tried...
>>
>>387858
Yeah the mouth shape flat and right there. Work have to do any beak stuff.
>>
>>390289
>Lisa Frank / 10
>>
>>388264
this is the best. and the fucking pig latin, wow cute
>>
>>387858
A fucking < shape is just as easy to animate. Cal arts just cannot fucking go outside their specific mouth design even if it destroyed their characters anatomy and all logic and reason

>why care he's not real

Because he is art for us to criticize and his ugliness hurts to look at. Why care about anything on this board? Nothing here is real. Fuck off with your bullshit
>>
File: 1563311549987.jpg (124 KB, 653x523)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>388316
This Toucan Sam makes me uneasy. I don't trust him.
>>
>>387805
Yes holy shit, old one looks like a windows Vista icon. New one appeals the intended crowd
>>
>>390289
This is just Peggle cereal
>>
>>387804
>Overly saturated palette
>Beak uses too many colors
>Either super flat or overly gradual
>Random circular shading
>Overall design does not evoke the intended animal.
>Unrecognizable silhouette
>randomly placed mouth.
>Teeth in principal reveal pose
>Oversized, overly wet eyes
>Generic, unadventurous linework.
>Overly busy and contrasted background makes it hard to discern details from a distance.
>Text added last minute by someone who didn't know what effects and colors to use.
This shit is a double whammy, it makes other Calarts shit look good, but at the same time tarnishes the whole fucking movement. It's a mess. I am open to the idea of new Toucan Sam designs, I may not like them, but this is actually, factually bad.
>>
This is what happens when you hire people based on arbitrary quotas instead of actual talent.
>>
>>391260
What's wrong with that? Talent is NOT a requirement when simply getting a message across is the objective. I feel like people struggle with this here

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.