[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: MWyGyX6.png (14 KB, 524x685)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
when did you realize that good design is not very important
>>
File: tatee.png (1.21 MB, 1080x1080)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
Still haven't
>>
>>386352
>good design is not very important

Apple is worth 1 trillion dollars.
>>
File: heepstur.jpg (49 KB, 1080x720)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>386352
Usually when I look at recent album covers.
When modernist art was in full swing through the 60's - 80's and less concrete styles of art (like minimalism or expressionism) were flourishing, many people began to latch on to these styles but only based off their superficial takeaways of actually good contemporary artwork. I think modern and abstract art are pretty cool, but these people would buy into the false idea that holism was no longer necessary to the creation of art and this soon propagated a trend of untalented hipsters poisoning their way through fields like design where being on top of trends is necessary and having less elements is usually and objective.
>>
>>387202
>Apple is worth 1 trillion dollars.

Exactly. Good design is not very important
>>
>>386352
when i first came on /gd/
>>
>>387315
you're btfo
>>
File: Toast.jpg (21 KB, 1024x768)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>386352
When you start working for a corporation, anything with a committee, or fly-by-night hustler.
>>
>>386352
when I noticed everyone around me that didn't study gd didn't see the differences between quick&easy design and proper thought-through good design
>>
i think design is really important, the problem is that people in general think that more and more is better, while keeping things "cleaner" makes you look like a lazy ass
>>
File: bitc.png (221 KB, 540x325)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>388528
>>
it is important. but good design doesn't always sell and it takes more time, companies need designs to be made quick more than they need them to be good.
>>
>>386352
It does. Things need to be easy to read and easy to follow.
>>
>>387202
>proving his point
>>
when i started working for (insert nation wide retailer here) and realized the creative team is lower in hierarchy than the custodial staff, and that even the receptionist is a discerning connoisseur of design who gets to dictate creative direction, and even when good, it still doesn't matter because only other designers care about design and 99% of customers only care about price and good photography.
>>
>>386352
right around in my last semester of art school but I figured that a bachelors degree in anything is better than nothing
which it did help me land a pretty okay job doing not much else than cheap design
and employers will always pay to get a little more ahead of the competition
>>
>>387202
>>387351
If you think apple is where it is because of design you're fucking crazy
its marketing that matters, and while yeah design is a part of it people will do anything just look higher class
>>
>>387315
>>390894
Apple wouldn't have had their brand recognition if the iPod looked like a zune knockoff
Also their new Macbooks really suck shit in terms of ergonomics and don't hold a candle to the previous gens.
>>
>>390894
If you think that apple could have made it this far without design then you're delusional. The marketing works for one round of product releases, but it has to be followed up with something good if they want to stay afloat
>>
>>391455
there are occasional very good designers and artists in big companies who make occasional really good designs. and then you have the most time a punch of faggs who copy and past the design. (with minor alterations)
>>
>>387217
Useless word salad.
The reason album covers suck now is there are no budgets for them. I used to do them freelance, and I haven't gotten an offer for one in years that actually paid money, or where the offer wasn't insulting it was so cheap. So now they have fans design them on the cheap, because the industry decided album art doesn't matter because for most people it's a small square in an app. Some bands care enough to commission art, most don't.
>>
>>387315
You're adorable, fighting so hard to prove a point that's hilariously false. Apple has always poured millions into design, from cases to their marketing campaigns to everything else. They changed the entire industry from beige boxes to candy colored cases, they defined the shape of the smart phone, they sold millions of iphones making the shape and color of their white earphones a status symbol, and redefined the desktop space and UI with their OS design.
You may not like Apple, and under Tim Cook that's easy to do, but to say design didn't matter is about the mostly ludicrous and naive thing anyone could say. I'm flabbergasted anyone did. I have to imagine you're some fat stubby, grimy little IT neckbeard jerking off over images of serial ports.
>>
>>391480
4chan is full of fuckin weirdos. go outside man
>>
>>391479
certified brainlet post, kill yourself leech
>>
>>386352
when design sprinters get huge amounts of money for jerking off around a whiteboard and post it notes
>>
>>389619
By your retarded logic they could get their 4 year old daughters instead to whip up new designs for free.
>>
>>391488
retard
>>391480
all this

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.