[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

are graphic designers expected to create their own resume layout / design? does it look bad not to too, or is it just an extra opportunity to show off?
>>
i mean yea, youre a designer. why wouldnt you custom make your resume. its like having a chef apply for a job with microwave food.

anyways, about the resume itself. its alright for starters. I had a similar layout when i first did mine. Which isnt a good thing. If you wanna stand out, you gotta stand out in every way you can.

also for the love of god dont put skill bars in your resume.

cheers from toronto (if youre actually from there)
>>
>>370115
Progress bars are for retards and if you “but meh it got some ‘stetics” get another job. It’s like natural selection first step for selection.
>>
File: good cv.jpg (1.44 MB, 1786x2240)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
obligatory
>>
>>370123
>>370124
it's not mine. it's just an image from google.

>Progress bars are for retards
> for the love of god dont put skill bars in your resume.
I agree, why would I tell them how much or little I know about one thing or another and remove all doubt?
>>
>>370125
is this the motherfuckingwebsite.com of resumes?
>>
>>370127
it could if that website had some basic CSS
that's something some anon posted years ago asking for critique on it's resume design and we all agreed on it being tidy, slick and cute as fuck
>>
>>370125
I like it.

when I had an interview (not gd work), I noticed the interviewer was using my resume to write notes on it in relevant areas. so my thoughts are, if you overdesign your resume, or have too much colors you make it more difficult for the people in HR to deal with your resume. which probably isn't a good idea.

not saying you can't design your resume, but definitely keep in mind who it's intended for in the end. OP is a good example of a bad resume. way too dark, difficult to deal with.
>>
File: icon (1).png (241 KB, 750x650)
241 KB
241 KB PNG
>>370125
Thanks for the resource anon, I'm considering applying to a few firms and wasn't sure how much creativity to put into my cv.
>>
>>370115
>are graphic designers expected to create their own resume layout / design?
If they actually enjoy graphic design, they should want do that on their own anyway. What an unnecessary question.
>>
>>370126sd
What a massive retard.
Ok then explain to me, if someone have 50% in French would he knows half the words ?

What's 75% of Photoshop to you then , please enlight me? Because even if you try to pull that off, what males you think that your 75% isnt a 30% for someone else.

Photoshop is that kind of thing that the more you learn stuff the more you know there is still stuff to discover.
>>
>>370115
Resumes should be all text, in a plain, easy to read format, and you'll need a nice PDF version, and a text version. Photos, fancy design, none of that will get you a job, it just tells me you spend too much time on things that don't matter. Your resume is talking points for the interview, and your portfolio is where you show off.

A resume like you posted is pure "Is there extra credit?" brownie points grubbing by try hards.

Progress bars? LOL. Really? You either know an app, or you don't.

Text. A resume will not get you an interview, and these days, the person who hires you probably won't even see it, or glance at it. HR looks at it. Your portfolio and your personality are all that you need.
>>
>>370177
>your personality
i’m fucked lol
>>
>>370142
if you were detecting sarcasm you’re mistaken, I agree they’re stupid. i meant like say i only know 20% of an app, why would I admit that on my resume? it would just be better to say i know it and leave the amount of which open to interpretation
i assume you’re going to learn what you need to know for the job on the job anyway, so it should only matter if you’re comfortable enough with an app to figure things out. percentages are irrelevant.
>>
>>370177
Not even a photo of myself?
>>
>>370271
Not unless you're an actor, or being hired for your looks. It's common sense. What if you look like the kid that bullied someone in school?
Text. That's all you need. Resume is just bullet points, they don't care about your picture, your hobbies, or anything else, they want to know your education, any technical abilities, and your experience. That's it. Your resume doesn't get you hired, your portfolio and interview does.
>>
>>370273
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>370275
Still up the thread op?
>>
>>370177
"You know an app or you don't"
> found the person who doesn't do any design work
>>
File: 1563411902376.png (113 KB, 645x729)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>370125
What's the current meta on job descriptions with bullet points vs blocks of text
>>
>>370295
I'm not op
>>
>progress bars
>>
is this layout any good?
>>
File: dat-grid.jpg (139 KB, 699x902)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>370438
it's better than most things that get posted here but it could improve a lot just by just some grid tweaks to keep it more balanced
I can tell you are paying attention to some sort of grid since your alignment and spacing is consistent but it seems like if said grid was kind of random
>>
File: SpecterBusinessCards.png (267 KB, 700x700)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>370115
posting some business card inspo from david rudnick
>>
>>370125
>>370128
info in tiny letters at bottom may look nice but recruiters and HR don't give a shit...
>>
>>370549
is this guy a serial killer too?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.