[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: download (3).png (110 KB, 550x344)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
Has modern Graphic design become lazy?
>>
poop
>>
File: 1560513410005.png (14 KB, 1121x198)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>
>>368188
>Pentagram
>Paula Scher
enough said.
as for "Graphic design has become lazy", please make more blanket statements based on one example. you clearly have enough authority to say this, so I'll just take your word for it.
>>
>>368194
you're a big dumb poo poo head
>>
The discourse on this board is so laughably juvenile.

And you all say stupid shit like "art school is a waste of time, it's all on the internet for free!" as if that's all that graphic design is, learning the Adobe suite and book marking the wiki page for kerning.

You guys have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>lazy

microsoft now owns and is recognized by what more or less is a geometric primitive.
>>
>>368188
Dunno about GD but lazyness it's definitely the case of modern architecture.
>>
>>368188
2009 was best one imo
>>
>“Paula asked us a simple question, ‘Your name is Windows. Why are you a flag?'”
Paula Scher must be retarded
>>
>>368188
I like how you can tell the quality of the software from the quality of the logo's design
>>
>>368216
Oh shut the fuck up you post modernist goober.
>>
>>368220
Amazin’. I actually had to look that up because I didn’t believe it was true.
>>
File: shelllogo.jpg (54 KB, 600x400)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>368188
>Has modern Graphic design become lazy?
No, they're doing the right thing with their logo in your example. When a product becomes recognizable you simplify the logo, because people will still know what it is.
>>
>>368276
>No, they're doing the right thing with their logo in your example. When a product becomes recognizable you simplify the logo, because people will still know what it is.
Wouldn't in the windows case in OP they'd want to keep the colors? As it stands the 2012s logo looks too distinct compared to the established logo.
>>
>>368278
>As it stands the 2012s logo looks too distinct compared to the established logo.
Crap, you're right... but I guess Microsoft was too confident for any concern for that due to how large their brand is, and it fit in with the overhaul of the entire operating system.
>>
>>368276
this is true sometimes, but there is a point though at which simplification becomes reduction. you just take away familiar cues, reduce for the sake of reduction, and then you are left with something so generic and abstract, like circle or square, that it doesn't even feel like a logo anymore—it feels faceless. which IMO is exactly the case with the newest Windows logo.
but—it fits their dumb flat aesthetics well, I'll give them that, and it wouldn't be Pentagram if they didn't give us something painfully dull that cost a lot of money.
>>
Minimalism is about stripping something of it's ornament/decoration so it no longer carries a trend of a certain era/time which is why minimalist designs look both primitive and futuristic. It would make sense for tech companies to go minimal because that way their logo will always look "current".
The only real time you wouldn't want a minimal logo is if you purposely wanted your product to appear from a specific era.
>>
>>368190
I remember turning on my computer one day and seeing this on the screen. Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>368188
damn son '85 version was noice
who designed it?
>>
>>369006
Maybe a programmer
>>
File: Google_alt-2-512[1].png (6 KB, 512x512)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>368282
>then you are left with something so generic and abstract, like circle or square, that it doesn't even feel like a logo anymore
that's literally the fucking point you absolute brainlet
when a mere shape is synonymous with a global corporation, you have succeeded
>>
>>368220
How? She's obviously talking about the old flag-like shape they used, it's not like she isn't aware that it's supposed to be a window you inept dick head lmao
>>
File: Capture.png (862 KB, 957x889)
862 KB
862 KB PNG
>>369006
Did they just snoop on us?
>>
>>368188
Who cares? 2012 looks best. tech logos are a terrible example as their objective is to take as little real estate as possible, yet be clear in their function. minimalism of tech logos and icons are an inevitability.
>>
>>368188

Work smarter, not harder
>>
>>368278
They did.
...And then used it for the company instead of Windows. I get what they were doing, but it's pretty retarded that they've got a logo that perfectly matches new windows and instead use that out of place parallelo.
>>
File: yellow pages logo.jpg (73 KB, 1600x1067)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>>
Pentagram has taken over with their extremely simplistic and almost pretentious design.
>>
>>369221
Can we make this logo into loss?
>>
>>368188
Yes and we're overpaid for easy work
>>
>>368276
bring back 1909 desu
>>
>>369772
always used to think it was a man with a goatee
>>
>>368276
>>370325

'55 to '61 was peak aesthetics
>>
>>368205
t. art grad
How are those burgers flipping today, Jim?
>>
>>368276
large companies like facebook brand each of their services tied to a color (see messenger, whatsapp & instagram).
Microsoft seems to be doing something similar with windows, xbox and such.
sure, looks worse - but it's probably better from a business perspective
>>
>>368276
This. Overdefinition of logos makes them harder to work with. Having a simple, well thought out, flat logo with consistent, minimal and planned out shapes is better than having a skeumorphic logo that is harder to scale up or modify.
This board is full of boomers who still probably cry about Android Lollipop and iOS 7.
>>
>>370360
NEETs don't get to make fun of people with jobs.
>>
>>368188
(((them))) and millennialcucks
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 413x549)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>368212
OP, I want you to read this reply and understand what this means.

There is more to graphic design than how something looks. Or what message it communicates. Sooner or later, every designer has to learn the hard lesson that brands can and likely will be bigger than the sum of their parts. Including graphic design. One of the most important lessons I learned from my mentor was understanding the context in where design is used.

Microsoft can use a dumb square with just lines in their logo because they have gotten to the point where they don’t need to use fancy strokes or compositions to establish themselves as a brand anymore. They’re Microsoft!
They can use the simplest of shapes and we the customer still are able to identify them.

Sounds like smart design to me.

Now- understand that this really only works if the brand has the luxury of being recognizable enough already. Timmy’s Pizza Parlor in WhereverCity, SomeStateSomewhere probably won’t be able to get away with using a stupid circle and intersecting lines through the middle to represent themselves as a pizza brand. You kind of have to earn that.

Adobe doesn’t need anything crazy in their icons to tell you what Illustrator is anymore. You already know what Illustrator is. IT’S ILLUSTRATOR. The most widely used vector graphics program on the planet.

The point is to understand that there’s more to design than just what you see at face value. Treasure that. Learn as much as you can from the world around you. You’ll make great things!

I love you, son! <3
>>
>>368276
1948 is the best change my mind
>>
File: 1565363176363.png (728 KB, 1106x1012)
728 KB
728 KB PNG
>>368188
>muh postmodernism
>muh pandering
>muh zoomers
>muh calarts
>muh slow burn
>muh soundcloud rap
>muh cinematic experience
>MUH MINIMALISM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiJiT6cY5bY
I draw the line when this shit costantly pops up in my feed. Is there anything we don't bitch about nowadays?
>>
>>371522
those logo designs are not for your convenience, shitpiggy. it's to remind you, the little shittpiggy, of the big brand presence in realm of ours in the minimal amount of time and effort necessary. spotify effectively owns the color green. microsoft owns a blue/gray square. just like the video mentions attention span, you don't have to comprehend a more complicated type composition or whatever to be reminded they exist.

it is a competition between various globohomo moloch firms for that sort of position.
>>
Microsoft is just finding out that everything after 1.0 was a mistake.
>>
>>368188
No - it's just that you're seeing a lot of shit because there is a lot of shit out there.

Just like how in 1800 there was a lot of shit out there but it disappeared because the companies didn't survive, the papers were used to insulate houses, or whatever.
Not lazy, just different needs and complexities.
>>
File: skype-1411851-1194340.png (39 KB, 256x256)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
Seriously what the fuck's this
>>
>>368190
Word/Excel/Outlook looks comfy.
>>
>>368276

>comparing iconic logo by Raymond Loewy, a god of modern design, with shitty windows logo
>>
>>371637
>Skep
>>
>>371637
Gradients are back, boys!
>>
>>368276
But about new logos?
>>
>>368190
I have windows 10 and wtf is this?
>>
>>371718
Probably either the Windows Store icons or Office 2019 or whatever the newest version is.
>>
>>371726
Yeah, it's the newest version. If you have 365 it should update to them automatically. For the most part the layout is the same as the last one, the only real difference that they have by default is they try to save to the "cloud" instead of your PC so you have an extra step there. Other than that the navigation and everything is the same besides the icon.
>>
File: Jelly Belly 3.jpg (202 KB, 1162x752)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
Thoughts on jelly belly? Birthday cake and cotton candy are good
>>
File: 1506845716197.jpg (32 KB, 300x250)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>371532
>the memories
i can smell that image bros
>>
>>370360
At least he goes outside. I know for a fact you only know of the world from 4chan
>>
>>368188
This whole thread tells me none of you know what graphic design is.

Graphic design is not supposed to be pretty, it's not supposed to be a show of skill, it's not supposed to be art. Graphic design exists to a) provide information that text can't, and b) get you to buy a product. It's the visual equivalent of an instruction manual.

Getting mad at flat, minimalist graphic design is like getting mad at an instruction manual for having dry prose; actual insanity.
>>
Pseudo related but can anyone please tell me why do major design firms use the same fucking website layout? It's literally the same white background and infinite scroll with sandwhich bar. Also worth noting that 7/10 of them have a black colored logo and the rest of the 3 have red
>>
>>371894
Because corporations are, by nature, risk averse and as such will continue to do the same thing over and over again until someone else hits success, in which case they start imitating them and the cycle starts all over again.

If you want originality or even integrity, you shouldn't be looking to "major" anything.
>>
>>369215
It isn't supposed to be a regular window, it's supposed to represent windows on a PC, as using windows as interface on PC wasn't common back then, which is what the OS Windows brought to the table. Hence the different colors to represent different applications on the screen of a computer. Not a flag, not a Window

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.