[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1654959885963.jpg (58 KB, 498x421)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience?
Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
https://christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
https://learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
https://www.devjobsscanner.com/blog/top-8-most-demanded-languages-in-2022/
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
blind 75 or grind 75 on
https://neetcode.io/
https://blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
https://www.careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
https://levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
https://pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
https://www.youtube.com/@ContinuousDelivery
https://www.youtube.com/@EngineeringwithUtsav
https://www.youtube.com/@gkcs (systems design interview prep)
https://www.youtube.com/@ycombinator (if you're doing a startup)

>/twg/ IRC Channel
#/g/twg on irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#/g/twg

>Previous thread
>>91103787
>>
>>91117511
https://www.grid.news/story/economy/2023/01/25/tech-stocks-are-down-advertisers-are-nervous-and-workers-are-paying-the-price-with-layoffs-heres-why/

It's over.
>>
how much should i be asking for with 1.5 years in hell desk an associates and a couple of certs currently making 35k because i had a 2 year gap on my resume and it first office jo im thinkin 50k remote 60k on site for tier2+ hell desk or some
>>
File: hg.png (79 KB, 798x667)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
:/
>>
File: 1643515774800.png (294 KB, 1000x1000)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>>91117570
>california state taxes
>federal taxes
>single filer
>no dependents
J U S T
U
S
T
>>
>>91117552
>a couple of certs
depends on the certs.
>>
File: pepe-cry.gif (64 KB, 220x220)
64 KB
64 KB GIF
Why is freelance c++ not a thing anymore?
>>
>>91117649
you'd only be freelancing if you couldn't trick an HR whore into hiring you
>>
File: 1672595559836.png (17 KB, 600x800)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>91117570
>tfw europoor and paying 40%+ on a 42k salary
No american has the right to claim they suffer.
>>
>>91117682
Yeah but life in Germany is 10000% better than life in America on every level measurable in terms of quality of life.
>>
>>91117649
C++ is unironically legacy.
>>
What's a better use of time? Getting a job as a programmer, or building your own app / service that you can start your own business with and make tons of money from?
>>
File: 1669993239120.jpg (442 KB, 1006x918)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
>>91117698
If only you knew how bad things really are...
I have no bigger wish than to move out of this fucking shithole country.
>>
>>91117735
I was born in the US and lived there until I was 25. Then I moved to Germany. I absolutely love it here.
>>
>>91117749
Well you do you do.
I guess some people are into findom after all.
I'm not gonna stay in this failed state for much longer.
>>
File: beep boop.jpg (63 KB, 495x619)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>91117699
Not for embedded m80
>>
>>91117810
Embedded is also legacy.
>>
>>91117802
yes taxes are high, but groceries are cheap, rents are cheap, buying an apartment used to have nice interest rates, healthcare won't destroy me financially which is my biggest concern desu. I'm not saying Germany is perfect, but I prefer it over the US any day.
The food quality in the US is trash. Everything is retardedly expensive so no reason.
>>
SPIEGEL (German Newsweek) columnist writes that Germany should hire those ditched by FAANG.

No punchline needed.
>>
>>91117900
I really doubt ex FAGMANs will work for a 30k net salary.
>>
We should drop the N and call it FMAGA.
>>
File: 363645.jpg (60 KB, 600x800)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
How is everyone doing? I got laid off today.
>>
>>91117895
how do I move to germany as an american, how much does it cost and how long can I stay? I also dont really want to learn german, can i get by with just english?
>>
>>91117895
>healthcare won't destroy me financially
You realize that you are paying a significant part of your paycheck for healthcare EVERY month, whether you are sick or not.
I live in germany as well and I would much rather pay no healthcare tax and just pay out of my own pocket every time I go to the doctor (which I always do anyway in the rare situation that I actually go to a doctor, because the public healthcare is shit, covers basically nothing and makes you wait literal months for appointments)
>rents are cheap
Where? In any bigger city where there are jobs, rent is easily 1200+ for a studio apartment. I work in the 3rd biggest "tech" city and literally could not afford to move ou of my parents house on my current salary, just because rents are so astronomically high.
The rent being only half of what you'd pay n the US doesn't mean it's cheap when the salaries are on 1/10th here.
>>
>>91117843
Are you retarded?
>>
File: 1663571890970.jpg (205 KB, 1794x1606)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>91118036
>I want to move to a country and not learn the language
>>
>be me
>be engineer with skills that are actually in demand
>set LinkedIn to looking for work (recruiters only so no cringe green overlay)
>pic related happens
>also salivating at the layoffs happening since the chicks laid off will have to lower their standards.
You know, I am not going to say "2023 is my year" but I am loving this month so far.
>>
File: taxes.webm (1.24 MB, 868x666)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB WEBM
How do people not laugh in their employers faces when getting offered less than 150k at 6+ years experience in tech? When the government takes 40k out of your paycheck, they're paying you nothing.
>>
>>91118183
being a LFW engineer on linkedin is what it's like to be a woman on tinder
>>
>>91118043
>You realize that you are paying a significant part of your paycheck for healthcare EVERY month, whether you are sick or not.
That's how it is in America too... instead of paying a tax for healthcare from the government, your employer takes a bit out of every paycheck for health insurance premiums (typically your employer also pays a bigger portion, but that's essentially compensation to you that you don't get as salary, since they're buying something for you).
And when that anon says "healthcare won't destroy me financially", they mean that in the US if you get the wrong disease, illness, injury, or whatever... then even with insurance, you can get bankrupted in a matter of weeks. I knew someone who had blood cancer in her 20s and had to declare bankruptcy twice, while insured. I knew another with a chronic life threatening disease who every year knew she would have to pay $10k out of pocket (after insurance) for treatments to keep her alive. You can have your entire savings, $100s of thousands of dollars, wiped out because the costs of treatments and medical tests are so high, and insurance might not cover them. Also, it's difficult to get appointments with primary care doctors in America too. If I check now, the soonest I can get is mid-March.
>>
>>91118268
>being a LFW engineer on linkedin is what it's like to be a woman on tinder
The only difference is that I had to work my ass off to get where I am at. Those tinder skanks just need to makeupmaxx and filtermaxx.
>>
>>91117988
Getting my bonus this week, feels nice.
>>
>>91118183
Weird... there are people who were laid off from my company last year, and they are still marked as Looking For Work. What are they doing wrong... or what are you doing so right?
>>
>>91118036
>how do I move to Germany as an American
First step is to apply for jobs, that is the easiest way to get here. Companies will sponsor you, move you here, and take care of immigration.

>How much does it cost?
Depends on your life style, which isn't an answer but almost everything here costs less.
>How long can I stay?
I've been here since 2012, and plan to never leave.
>I also dont really want to learn german, can i get by with just english?
Yes, you can live here without knowing German. It'll be more difficult, but enough people know English here to get by. You'll limit yourself to expat circles for friends though.
>>91118043
>You realize that you are paying a significant part of your paycheck for healthcare EVERY month?
Yes, and that is more than half of what I was paying every month in the US. The US insurance also has deductibles, which means you'll have to spend anywhere from $5000-$10000 before insurance actually covers 80% of the cost, and that resets each year. A trip to the ER in the US costs $2500. A trip to the ER in German cost me nothing. The birth of both of my children cost me a total of €20. Meanwhile in the US it costs $20,000 per birth. Regular doctor visits in the US are also stupidly expensive.

If you're young, sure move to the US when you almost never need healthcare. But it's no place for 30+ year olds when you have the German system, even paying out of pocket full price, is better.

>In any bigger city where there are jobs, rent is easily 1200+ for a studio apartment
You can always find 400-600 studios.
>>
>>91118362
Read the second line on my original post. The folks still looking for work that you know are not abiding by that line.
>>
>>91118364
>You can always find 400-600 studios.
>living in a bad neighborhood, high theft, bug infestation, broken appliances, thin walls, useless locks
Not him, but there is a reason you pay 400-600. It's rare you can find a place good a livable for that price. I personally will make myself have a 30-40 commute for lower rent.
>>
>>91118172
People do it, sadly. When I walk around Prenzlauer Berg I only hear North American English being spoken.
>>
Hi guys just posting this again since I'm really not sure what to do here. I'm a manager of a small tech firm and can't really afford to lose people right now.
I need an objective view on this. I have a coworker, his name is Steve and he was a bright young lad until around December.
In December he ended up taking a lot more tasks and helped me around a lot with senior management and planning projects but on his down time he seems a lot more aloof recently. If my other team talks to him, he barely responds and he's been looking insanely tired most of the time. During our company events, he used to be the joy of the party but now he's a wallflower. Last week, he completely sat far away from the place we normally sat.

He's been taking a few days off here and there but his work output hasn't changed and actually improved. If I talk to him, he does sound pretty awkward and depressed now but he says everything is fine.

What should I do? I don't want Steve to quit. I'm fucked if Steve quits.
>>
>>91118408
Just fire him and hire someone better.
There are literally hundreds of thousands fagman engineers on job search right now.
>>
>>91118408
Steve had enough of your shit. Stop making him suffer
>>
>>91118408
Raise plus large bonus today but liable to be taken away if he leaves before one year.
>>
>>91118408
suck Steve's dick.
>>
>>91118408
Befriend him out of necessity. It's okay to have good friendships in the workplace as long as the barrier at work is not crossed. If you help steve with his problems in life, he probably won't ask for a raise.

Either a woman or a dead family member is making him feel this way. Ask him how he's doing, maybe go to lunch with him.

>>91118436
>Fire him and be forced to pay 10x the amount rehiring and paying an entitled FAGMAN employee
>>
>>91118389
No... my company is a mid-stage startup using all of the hot technologies that companies are looking for experience in. I haven't looked at their profiles lately... maybe they just do a bad job of presenting everything.
>>
>>91118451
>forced to pay 10x the amount
Well how about you start paying Steve a fair salary then?
>>
I got a linked in message saying how they knew I had been searching for x jobs. The recruiter
version has access to that level of detail of information even when I have it set to not looking?
>>
>>91118408
Have you given Steve a nice bonus for his December push?
If not, don't act surprised when he gives his notice.
>>
>>91118400
exactly. A longer commute means cheaper rent. He makes it seem like rents begin at 1200 for a studio, when I don't even pay that for my 3 room apartment in East Berlin.
>>
>>91118467
>>91118475
>>91118444
He said he offered Steve a raise in the last thread. Steve is probably going to kill himself. Money can't buy happiness for people like Steve.
>>
>>91118408
If Steve is a white male he may be planning to shoot up the place, notify your local law enforcement
>>
>>91118408
Give him a quickie
>>
>>91118486
Lol
>>
Steve's starting to sound like me. Now I'm worried if I'm going to get sacked for wanting to kill myself.
>>
I am Steve
>>
>>91118486
This. It's a serious situation, he may be an incel shooter in the making. To rectify this you should blow him in the office bathroom so that he will no longer be an incel.
>>
>>91118451
I offered to buy him lunch but he said he'd rather eat alone. Sometimes I see him at his desk making weird faces or covering and wiping his face like he's losing it. He's not having an outburst or anything and I haven't noticed anything weird in his emails.
>>91118475
Our bonus comes next month and I'm not too sure if I should give it to him with how weird he's acting. He does good work but he's uncomfortable to work with now.
>>91118436
I've had a lot of bad eggs. Steve was great and still is but it's just his mopey attitude is making people around feel weird. I'd rather not sack him because he's doing like 60% of the team's work right now and his work efficiency hasn't decreased at all.
>>
>>91118408
See if there's any fun conferences you can send him to, out of town, for a week or so. Give him a forced "vacation" at a nice hotel with a generous per diem for meals.
>>
>>91118735
>I offered to buy him lunch but he said he'd rather eat alone
Can you stop being a retard? He's obviously going to say no, just like every suicidal person on the planet. Nobody ever asks for help when they need it and they always refuse all help.

He says no? Okay then ask him again, and again, and again. Heck, tell him you're both going to lunch for some morale boosting time and he WILL go because it's required.

The guy is going to blow his brains out, at least try to help him. Who listens to someone who is mentally unstable when they say "no" to help?
>>
>>91118810
>The guy is going to blow his brains out
That's quite an assumption you're making from anon's one paragraph description

He's probably just getting dumped by his fiance or something. Going through shitty periods in your life is normal you don't have to go full nuclear over him
>>
>>91118863
It's always the assumption until they're dead. Maybe have some compassion and empathy for once in your life and not be an idiot who lets someone obviously suffering to suffer with no help.
>he said no, so he's coherent enough to fix it one his own :)
>>
>>91118268
MFW i'm a bullshit 3 YOE gov 'programmer' asian male with LFW and no one messages me. I even put myself as nonbinary in my profile
>>
File: 1665564771609.jpg (68 KB, 574x611)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
tell me it will be okay
>>
>>91118964
let me guess, web dev?
>>
>>91118408
see if steve has 'open for work' on his linkedin, then again i leave it on year round
>>
>>91118991
Why would we lie to you?
>>
>>91118043
>pay out of my own pocket every time I go to the doctor
You do know this isn't really an option in the US, right?
>>
>>91118998
batch program monitoring, and sit there while the contractors do everything so i dont even have real experience
>>
File: 1674332826439284.gif (485 KB, 960x720)
485 KB
485 KB GIF
>>91118991
It'll be okay anon. Take it easy.
>>
>>91119028
nta but i rarely get sick or need to go to the doctor. i think i only needed to go once for something really obscure that got fixed with a few pills

people don't know how expensive drugs are too, that prescription medicine you got? prob 1-5k
>>
Leetcode hards are the new medium
>>
>>91118735
>Our bonus comes next month and I'm not too sure if I should give it to him with how weird he's acting. He does good work but he's uncomfortable to work with now.

You're an asshole for this one. Go e-stalk him to see if his gf broke up with him, parent died, or what's actually going on in his life. He may just have been all friendly and positive in order to make a good first impression, everybody does this at work. This depressed Steve is just not faking it anymore.

If he's working very long hours you might have given him too much shit to handle and now he wants to quit because it's too much.
>>
File: 1665913521862.webm (2.94 MB, 1000x562)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
>>91118735
>Our bonus comes next month and I'm not too sure if I should give it to him with how weird he's acting. He does good work but he's uncomfortable to work with now.
lmao
Not showing enough enthusiasm for the awesome workplace fun? No bonus for you then! No, the fact that you're doing good work doesn't matter. We're more than a job, we're like a family here and we want team players not just people who do their work and go home :^) Now go out there and put on a happy face and dance if you want your bonus.
>>
File: 1672465695367.jpg (159 KB, 639x480)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>91118735
>my employee is going through some serious shit
>therefore I will withhold his bonus so he has one more problem to deal with
Is brain death really a requirement for being a manager? They told me, but I didn't really believe it until now.
>>
>>91118408
i'm kind of like steve except i'm useless and my company wouldn't give a shit if i kill myself
>>
>>91119300
>>91119206
>>91119318
I mean if he's going to quit soon, my boss is going to ride up my ass if I give it.
>>
File: 1657052815169.gif (33 KB, 112x112)
33 KB
33 KB GIF
>>91119345
And if you don't give him one, he's probably definitely going to quit (or kill himself, or someone else, or maybe all of you). Sounds like you got yourself into a real pickle!
>>
>>91119345
Your bonus structure is wierd as fuck if you can withold that money just because you thought of Steve's depressed face while in the shower one night
>>
>>91118991
I'm older than most of you children and have worked through technology changes, mass layoffs, recessions, company bankruptcies, and other assorted bullshit.

It will be OK
>>
>>91119345
Yes, he's going to kill himself soon
>>
>>91119345
>one of my reports with strong work output isn't smiling anymore
>if he quits then it will be bad for my team
>to resolve this situation I will withhold his bonus
gonna be honest with you anon if I was going through a rough patch in life while making an effort to still make my actual work a priority only to be told that I will not be receiving a bonus due to not smiling enough I would probably shoot up the office
>>
>>91119345
How much is his salary and how much is the bonus going to be? For his experience level, is he getting underpaid or overpaid?
>>
>>91118408
>>91119345
Check up on him anon. Ask him if you can help him as his manager. Ask him what can you do for him. Tell him you noticed he seemed a little low energy lately.

Keep it professional and focus on work. He'll appreciate it.

Also anon this is like management 101, if you would like to be a good manager, try to learn more about what makes a good manager a good one.
>>
>>91119300
If you haven't already figured it out, the pasta guy is just messing with you.
>>
>>91119465
We pay around 40k for his role. He's in an entry level position but he's been doing stuff my senior level dev does. I offered to bump him to 50k but that's the most upper management will budge on.
>>91119489
I'm not. I'm new to this.
>>
>>91119345
Also, a bonus is supposed to be for work that's already been done, not for work you expect in the future.
When I was at Microsoft, bonus amounts were finalized in the middle of summer, some time in July I think, but not given out until mid-September. If you quit any time between those two dates, you STILL got your bonus... you just didn't have a meeting where your manager told you about it. This was a company-wide policy to prevent the kind of petty and sociopathic bullshit that you're thinking about right now.
>>
>>91119512
>40k
jesus I'd be suicidal too if I was getting paid 40k for a dev position
>>
>>91118408
Srs answer here

Steve is probably going through some shit in his personal life. As long as his work isn't suffering, give him his space until he works through whatever's going on. Just be respectful and understanding, and let him know you're there for him if he needs a friend.
>>
>>91119512
hes not suicidal. i solved the mystery.
>>
>>91119512
>40k doing senior level dev stuff
>no promotion
Wow, he's better off quitting
>>
>>91119512
>I offered to bump him to 50k
What do you mean "offered"?
Who did you offer that too?
Him? You don't "offer" someone a raise, you just give it to them and say thanks for the great work.
>>
>>91119525
A bonus isn't even mandatory. Not all companies do it. It's just a nice thank you for being outstanding and not communicating with his coworkers and making them feel uncomfortable makes the whole work environment shit.
>>
>>91119560
I asked him if he wanted one, I can talk to senior management to him and told him he could get the 50k but again he always seems to be blank eyes and goes ".... It's fine."
>>
Caved into the recruiter. They ended up saying they dont have any set salary for the position and they want to go to the company with a range. Just went 1.2-1.5 my current salary and hoping for the best tomorrow
>>
File: 1658321831075.gif (251 KB, 371x371)
251 KB
251 KB GIF
>>91119551
Interrogator anon saving the day again.
>>
>>91119618
Based, that was the advice I gave you

Unless they give you the tippy top of the range, then don’t forget to ask if they can do better. If they say no, then tell them you’ll have to think about it and end the conversation. Ask them again if they can do better the next time you talk, and if they still say no, accept.

If you’re really not happy with the pay, start looking again right when you join. You can exclude the position from your resume and just leave a gap
>>
>>91119607
I think you burned steve out and your offer looks less like a light in the end of the tunnel and more like a noose.
>>
>Company provides us with top of the line laptops with a really good GPU
>People choose to use WSL even though it doesn't support GPU
>You could do literally every task they do by just installing shit on Windows

Why are linux clowns like this? Why are you so tied to your haxx0rz larping and whatever freedums political shit that you have to cut your productivity in 80% and refuse to use a fucking good piece of hardware given to you for free?
Holy FUCKING shit.
>>
>>91119574
I know, and it depends heavily on what type of company this is. If it's a really informal process where the manager just decides how much to give each person, then that's a system ripe for abuse. Most mature companies have a process where managers write up why they think an employee deserves a bonus, based on the work they've done in the past year, and then higher level managers take all of the submissions into account and divide up the bonus pool the best they can.
>>91119607
How did you phrase it? Did you say you could go to HR and try to get him more money, if he wanted? If so, you shouldn't even have given him the choice. Most people are going to do the 'polite' and 'agreeable' thing for their manager and say "No". Most people are going to be uncomfortable asking anything from their managers, even if it's something that was offered. Like I said above, the correct thing to do was go and get him the raise, and then tell him about it.
>>91119618
Still, go read the 1st link int the Salary Stuff section of OP. There's some guidance on how you can still recover and negotiate if they only give you the 1.2 offer.
>"I have learned a lot more about the company, the position, and the compensation package since I gave that initial salary range. Given what I’ve learned, I would be more comfortable at [your counteroffer]."
>>
I’m starting to think this IT guy I’m working with may have a mental issue. He’s LARPing as a security engineer (I’m a security engineer). He’s taking a month to get this thing configured because he’s not following the documentation. He says the default isn’t secure (it’s secure; I’m a certified security specialist for the system). He’s trying to lock everything down from every angle and can’t troubleshoot the issues that arise. It took me 15 minutes to configure the same thing he’s been working on for a month

IT really is tech for stupid people
>>
>>91118408
this post was written by Steve
>>
>>91119772
>>91119618
Or say that the benefits aren’t what you’d want from a job paying you 1.2x.
>>
>>91119680
I feel like that's a question I would probably ask the people actually hiring me and not the recruiter themselves since they're an external company. But I'll be sure to bring it up if I do get the interview.
Even if I get the bottom of my range I'd be more than happy really. Any place would be better than where I'm at right now if anything.
>>91119772
Yeah I read that section too, like I said this will be something I can bring up in the actual interview.
I'll be happy either way
>>
>>91119743
Because most production servers run linux and it's best to develop on a machine that also runs linux. Also most production software doesn't need GPU compute.
>>
anyone else getting a ton of recruiter messages recently? Is January recruiter season or something?
>t. Year long gap and only 6 months of experience
>>
>>91119827
Lots of company budget reset in January
>>
>>91119743
What kind of work do you do where the GPU would be useful, but people choose to use Linux anyway?
>>
Steve here. If it's actually due to burn out, workload, managing annoying fucking employees, retarded requests and nonsensical emails, what should I do? How do I get myself out of my rut?
>>
>>91118408
It sounds like Steve is about to seriously enhance his company's culture
>>
>>91119847
apply somewhere else for 1.2-1.5x according to other posts or 2-2.5x cause lmao 40k
>>
>>91119900
I'm making a little better than this other Steve, around average. However, the other positions in this area are all contract positions and I cannot risk having unstable income.
>>
File: 1658453688291.gif (218 KB, 800x383)
218 KB
218 KB GIF
>company switches to jira
>"oh, it's fine, we won't change anything, it's just a bug tracker :^)"
>company announces switch to agile
>"oh, it's fine, it's just so we can keep better track of work, just keep doing what you're doing :^)"
>switch happens
>scrum master appointed
>first daily standup begins
>"right, so, please make sure to track your time on each ticket when you work on it. this is mandatory. kthx."
>>
>>91119962
To be honest, tickets are usually a good idea to track what's going on, otherwise it can turn into complete madness.

Agile ceremonies and coaches are mega retarded though. I feel kinda bad for the 2bh, they bring very little value.
>>
>>91119618
You played the game poorly and lost. There is no way to recover from this.
Even if they were ready to pay twice as much, now you limited yourself to 1.2-1.3.
>>
>>91119962
>track your time on each ticket
rip
>>
>>91118036
Why would you want to move to Germany if you don't want to learn German?

I mean the US is a massive country with tons of places you can live, and also the US has the best tech salaries in the world, right? So why would you not want to find somewhere in the US to work?

And even if you wanted to leave the US, what about Canada? Or Australia or New Zealand? Or if your heart is set on Europe, what about Britain or Ireland? All of these countries speak English of course. Ireland has quite a good tech industry I think because the have low taxes, so a lot of companies put their European HQs in Ireland.

Germany is a cool country. But if you really don't want to learn the language then there's quite a few countries to choose from which all speak English.
>>
>>91120033
It's a junior position, if I asked for more I'd be going into senior roles with 10 years of experience salary here.
I'm probably only going to be there for a year max anyways so the amount of money made will be negligible
>>
>>91118408
You would be punishing Steve for things seemingly outside of his control by firing him, and you have no reason to if his work performance hasn't decreased.

Don't fire Steve.
>>
File: 1671623580053630.jpg (234 KB, 1242x1218)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>91119345
I genuinely hope Steve shoots up the office and kill you.
>>
File: 1674678602056.png (301 KB, 643x636)
301 KB
301 KB PNG
>>91120036
It's over. I can't wait for the questions. "Why does this have five days booked against it but you have no progress to show?" Because I do all my work on Sunday between 8PM and 4AM, I'm not going to say. It's worked for three years. Why not just leave me alone?
>>
>>91120247
Because you have to prove what youre worth, not just show that youre slacking off all the time
>>
>>91120247
feel my pain. We got introduced to this kind of nonsense and it was because my faggot manager got trampled by the CFO
>>
60 thousand dollars a year is not a lot of money and neither is 80. You need at least 100 thousand dollars a year after taxes to afford a decent house. Saving money doesn't mitigate this.
>>
>>91120091
This anon is basically right. German is a bitch to learn, actually, and you won't get the full experience without it. There are also a ton of places in West Europe that sort-of have English as a default secondary language because they don't get American movies and TV dubbed because the market is too small: Netherlands, parts of Belgium, all Scandinavian countries including Iceland. Again, no full experience without the local language, but chances of meeting someone who can't into Engrish are slim to none.
>>
>>91120286
If they have a problem with the work they can just stop paying my $40k salary and figure out those undebuggable memory protection issues themselves.
>>
>>91120373
You need to qualify that with geography. That's not enough for San Francisco. It's enough for Houston where my bud got a 2 story house for $120k.
>>
>>91120373
I make 30k and the government takes like 40% of it.
>>
>>91120373
the time spent on leetcode could be spent finding a significant other who completes your income deficiency.
>>
>>91119743
Were you born yesterday? Most cloudy stuff is Linux only and developing Linux stuff on Windows is not possible.
>>
File: 1650913083212.png (438 KB, 688x491)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
>>91120431
How many years do you fuckers spend on leetcode?
>>
>>91120461
4 minimum
>>
>>91120091
Irish anon here.
Its only the corporations that have to pay less tax here.
Government still takes 40% in taxes, its pretty much going to be the same across all EU, not sure about Britain
>>
>>91120461
I have unironically never used leet code in my life. Instead I have 5 years of playing AoC and coding books which never failed to help me ace every interview.
>>
>>91120091
>>91120562

Spanish anon here

Currently pay 32% income tax and whatever raise I get gets taxed at the 45% bracket.

Plus VAT on everything I buy and a bunch of other taxes. If you add the taxes my employer pays on my behalf its almost 50% tax.

Feelsbadman.
>>
>learning OWASP
>it's easy
Guess I won't have a problem learning everything else these jobs require.
>>
Would you guys be more productive if you had your own dedicated office?
>>
>>91119774
>I'm a security engineer
Hate to break to you bud, but you're in IT too

>>91119962
It's over bro, Jira/Agile is pain

>>91120373
You sound like one of those women who thinks the median income for a guy is $250k
>>
>>91120623
What is AoC?
>>
>>91120707
Yes. I'm in an 'open office' and everyone is gabbing about movies, vidya, and other goyslop all the time.
>>
All taxes should be a flat 10% until you hit 1million and then it's 32%
Every millionaire and billionaire combined pays more taxes than everybody below them, while living in luxury, so it's ridiculous that we pay that much.
>b-b-but health care, security, defense!!!!!
Guess who gets employed to do all those things? Taxpayers. Doctors won't disappear because rich people take care of the taxes.

>>91120709
No, I know that most people never make above 6 figures, and it's because they get taxes out of the anal cavity. It's already been proven that the standard of living is far more overpriced than it ever has been.
>>
>>91120562
It's some kind of "X% over a threshold, Y% over another" thing. Ends up being about 20% for me, but I make a pathetic salary. As do most people who don't work for FAGMAN or in the City.
I wouldn't recommend the UK, except in the sense that I'm not sure what the fuck else to recommend if you don't speak German, French, Dutch or Swedish.
>>
>>91120727
https://adventofcode.com/
All of you should get on this. Forget leet code
>>
>>91120707
Absolutely, open offices are garbage.

I work from home and its awesome.
>>
>>91120707
probably. what good is an open office, genuinely why does anyone need to see me look constipated while I search stack overflow.
>>
>>91120749
>>91120707
Same.
>be in open office
>trying to do work
>people walk in every second or have their conversations in front of the open space of our area
>if we try to block it with a movable chalkboard or something, they think we're more likely to be messing around
>everyone just watches youtube facebook etc in front of them regardless of it being open space
>>
>>91119962
My company moved to jira, too. Now everyone spends more time and energy on jira than our actual projects. It's hell. Might try to find another job...
>>
>tfw wanted to start my own business
>give everyone their own office
>no one would want that anymore because people prefer wfh now
Guess I'll save myself on office costs in the future...
>>
>>91120767
wrong thread friend. He wants AoC to learn things. Leet has magic HR numbers that go in resumes.
>>
>>91120849
Remote is the way to go. But you need to have good people. If you get idiots that want to play gacha on company time, it's no good. These leeches ruin things for everyone.
>>
>>91120373
>decent house
>100 thousand dollars a year
lol
lmao
>>
File: 1649954481552.jpg (194 KB, 960x1113)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>layoffs hit this morning
>change linkedin to LFW (recruiters only) at about noon
>already spoke on the phone with 3 recruiters that need my exact experience
i was looking forward to being on the dole desu, looks like i might not even get the chance
>>
>>91120849
I feel like you can't foster a good company without having a physical presence at the very core. WFH works on the backs of people who drove in.
>>
im gonna quit my job then kill myself when my savings dry up in ~5 years. i'll be 37-38. thats good enough of a run for me :)
>>
>>91120896
>wanting to pay off a 30 year mortgage in 60 years
>>
>>91120896
100k in an affordable area, you could live *very* comfy. Sadly where I am, it's lower middle class existence.
>>
>>91119424
Cheers gramps
>>
>>91120893
I play gacha on company time because I already completed all my work
get fuxed
>>
>>91120938
Godpseed.
>>
>>91119962
what are you supposed to do, say the actual time so they jump down your ass for not doing 8h days or multiply it by 3 to give yourself time to fuck off?
>>
Anyone here work in sec? What certs you got?
>>
>>91120893
Literally me. I do nothing all day. Any company that hires me should immediately fire their entire recruitment team for gross incompetence.
>>
>>91121008
Yes. A shitload. Why?
>>
>>91121008
I'm a junior security analyst. Have the ICCA and the ejpt2. Spend most of my day doing rudimentary threat hunting and vulnerability analysis and then just studying on company time lmao.
>>
>>91120927
Automattic (company behind WordPress) is pretty much all remote and they're doing just fine. Physical presence is just an old person thing really or other sectors like law and stuff.
No real reason why you should ultimately need a physical presence
>>
>>91120938
I thought this was the game plan for all SWE's who wear programming socks
>>
>>91120927
Maybe 10 years ago. I'm hybrid. I drive in, and the only benefit I experience at the office is getting to say 'what up' to my niggas I barely see in the hallway. My actual team? We *all* do all our meetings online anyway. Every single time. It's retarded for the company to be wasting so much money on this building. I get more done at home. Now, I'm an autistic with a strong work ethic (grew up poor). I know some people phone it in.

But overall it would be way more efficient to just rent a conference room when upper management want everyone to meet.
>>
File: insane-cat.gif (2.56 MB, 304x640)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB GIF
>>91118237
>pass resume screen
>pass hr screen
>pass engineer screen
>pass technical screen
>still need to pass 2nd technical screen
>still need to pass culture fit screen
>>
what's a good price to charge for my freelance webdev time? shit like making websites for small and medium businesses.
i'm ausfren btw, if that matters
>>
>>91120927
I've worked for two different full wfh companies now, nobody in an office anywhere, both 300+ people working. This reads like middle management speak to me now, which it objectively is. Either you're a middle manager or you've swallowed middle manager propaganda.
>>
>>91121008
I want to. I have my CISSP and security+ (due to free cert from my LPIC). Could be me, but most security people I talk to at work are hiring friends. Fortune 500 company. The only reason for doing a cert is so you can talk about the knowledge gain. Do it if you are lazy, but as paper they aren't worth much.
>>
I like the office just because I keep work shit at work. Never pick up phone or answer calls outside of work.
Plus don't have enough space for office at home so I just get super lazy doing things and procrastinate a lot. Idk man, I'm pretty introverted and dont like talking to most people at work, just like the office idea
>>
>>91120091
You're right, there's nothing in particular that interests me about Germany except for what I imagine to be less minorities, lower crime rates, and maybe cheaper houses than 800k to $1.2 million.
>>
>>91121153
They are 100% useful for getting you through filters. F500s aren't the best to work for either if you want to actually develop a serious skillset.

Optimal way to go is to work for a company that will pay for the certs for you to take. I have six, and I didn't pay for any of them.
>>
>>91120879
I must be out of touch these days. Just thought about a /g/ AoC leaderboard, wonder if that'll get any traction
>>
>>91121188
>cheap housing
>in europe
Yeah... I don't know how much luck you'll have with that.
>>
>>91121087
Check India's and Brazil's minimum wage in USD if you want to have an idea. If you can find people willing to hire you instead of the other 500,000 freelancers, that is.
>>
File: 1674236593485675.jpg (49 KB, 600x683)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
How was your week /twg/?
I just came back from vacation and spent the entire day on meetings and getting my tasks in order, maybe wrote code for 45 minutes.
>>
>>91121247
no replies from any applications
i'm starting to lose hope
>>
>>91120751
Why do you think it's fair for some to pay more taxes (in real money, not %) than others? If you pay £50k tax this year and I pay £1k, why is it that I have the same healthcare and same state pension as you?
If we both lose our jobs, I will receive government bux but you won't. I get childcare money and you don't.
If our spouses don't work, mine will receive Universal Credit and yours won't.

Do you think any of this is fair?
>>
>>91121153
CISSP is literally a requirement and you need 5 years exp just for it to be valid. It's more than paper.
>>
>>91121196
For the correct company that will not freak out as soon as 4channel is mentioned. Also somebody would have to know that anon is entering late and not able to get #1 through whatever it is. I would hire anyone who made it to day 5 leaderboard or not because it shows they have genuine interest. Probably why I am not in HR.
>>
>>91121299
don't feel bad, a lot of people also fell for the tech meme
it's never too late to give up and pursue a real career
>>
>>91121231
How much is a 3 bedroom 2 bath in the German techy city?
>>
>>91121356
Do you think it is still possible to get a job knowing how to code html and some java script?
>>
>>91120751
Follow up question to >>91121317: why do we both get one vote if you pay 5 times more tax than me? Shouldn't those who pay more have more weight in decision making?
Someone who pays more tax is doing something better than someone who pays no tax, so why not trust their vote more than the rest of the votes (5:1 in our case).
>>
Can't decide if I should get into law or accounting.
I found out I only like tech as a hobby and it sucks doing it as a job
>>
>>91121415
Good accountants are absolute bros.
The world needs more bros.
Go for accounting.

t. often hang out with the finance folks
>>
>>91121317
This is a stupid and debunked argument. After a threshhold of money made a year, taxes are meaningless to you. Why? Cost of living in general. You don't need a 20 bedroom 15 bath 10000 sqft mansion for your wife and 2 children. You don't need 10000 bottle of wine and to pay 2000 each per person to eat dinner. So leaving the tax rate at 32/34% for millionaires who make close to 2 million a year are still making a million a year, still able to do whatever they want in life being unaffected, in fact, they don't even need to work.

A flat 10% tax rate for all people, would not impact anybody other than corrupt politicians padding both their salaries and their stupid 500 page bribery bills to other international leaders.

>>91121400
Votes are essentially meaningless, regardless of how many times you vote, majority of americans do not vote, and government does what they want anyways. Only when they are truly impacted (like COVID 19 vaccine pushing away new recruits) is when they step up and *do something*.

In fact, the only people's voices who matter are millionaires and billionaires. So guess what, if our votes are worthless, why do we pay so much in taxes?
>>
>>91121415
yeah im sure accounting is way more fun than tech
>>
>>91121456
commie.
>>
I need to learn Puppet and AWS basics for an interview next week. What's the fastest way to do this
t. jr sysadmin at a boomer debian/apache company
>>
>>91121478
>taxation for proportionate representation is communist
>all of our socialist programs that only dirt poor people get to utilize is not commie
Why didn't I get free college when my taxes paid for it? Why did all my poor friends go to college for free when they didn't pay for it? Think before you speak.
>>
File: images (75).jpg (201 KB, 1175x1763)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>Get job at Google
>Never meet Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn
>Get job at Apple
>Never meet Ashton Kutcher or Josh Gad
>Get job at Facebook
>Never meet Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, or Justin Timberlake
This industry is a scam
>>
>>91121365
I'm not a kraut so I wouldn't really know. From a cursory look, it sounds like you(r mortgage provider) wil be paying over $1m for something like that in Berlin.
>>
>>91118408
If you can't increase his pay, see if you can get him some extra paid vacation time. If it's personal life shit you can't do much but if it's just general exhaustion/burn-out, see if you can get him a week or two off.
>>
>>91121456
My examples were of two people in normal employment, who make £150k and £15k respectively, not billionaires.
So again: why is the one who pays more tax penalized? In the UK you have to return any child benefit you got if your salary increased significantly over the fiscal year, so not only do you pay more taxes but also return money that was for your child, not for you.
>>
>>91121381
God no. React + Node.Js is the bare minimum. Bonus points if you understand databases and containers
>>
So it's ok if I put in my resume that I'm proficient in anything I've even touched onnce, right?
>>
>>91121596
Yep, everyone else is doing it
>>
>>91121596
>oh, I see you listed Erlang
>I'm a bit of an Erlang dilettante myself.
>what did you think about the recent progress on eliding type checks in the JIT?
>>
>>91121706
Its pretty funny asking basic questions about things listed on a CV and see people know nothing about them.
>>
>>91118735
Genuine question for you, because for the life of me I cannot understand the mind of a low IQ manager/director/CEO person such as yourself: have you EVER, even ONCE considered putting a modicum of effort into RETAINING employees?

Consider the fact that the average tech worker can job hop every 12 months for a 30% pay bump, does it not make sense to you that maybe you should be paying them what they’re worth (15-20% raises every 6 months seems appropriate)?

Literally have you ever just thought “hmmmm, maybe instead of wasting all this time hiring new employees we could just invest in our current employees and pay them properly”?

The solution to your problems is so simple but why can’t you figure it out? What’s stopping you from making the obvious correct choice?

I’m genuinely curious.
>>
>>91121742
It's upper management. Even my pay is shit.
>>
>>91121742
thats a question for upper mangement. All they need to do is show their boss a slide deck with green happy numbers for the fiscal year, whatever happens next isn't their problem.
>>
>>91121234
yeah but i'm EFL
>>
>>91121706
I suspect you would not hire anyone who could answer this. I have no idea what you are talking about, but the answer is always the same.

The devs needs to understand that some of us can program properly and adding boilplate code and additional checks slow down execution for the people who know how to code properly is frustrating. If you are making mistakes that type checks are catching then you need to decide if you really deserve to be programming.
>>
File: 1674688976170.jpg (106 KB, 976x850)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
I have to wake up in 5 hours.
>>
>>91121919
Anon stop shitposting and go sleep immediately.
>>
>>91121556
didn't know the housing market was that absolutely fucked. I thought only the bay area and maybe DC have 1m median houses
>>
File: 1623785623789596.png (156 KB, 1434x935)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>91121919
now that you mention it, its already half past midnight
I swear I feel like I got home from work 20 minutes ago

is this all there is to life
>>
File: 1662826998580253.gif (852 KB, 500x717)
852 KB
852 KB GIF
How important is a CV when applying to a job? Been out of the 'job hop' game for a while, but I'm finna lose my mind (no cap) if I stay in my current job much longer.
>>
>>91122043
>How important is a CV when applying to a job?
They are necessary
>>
>>91122043
I think I meant 'cover letter'. Sorry, ESLfag here.
>>
>>91122094
Only necessary if your resume can't stand on its own.
>>
File: 1667105146035952.jpg (140 KB, 813x767)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>91122121
...so... for me... 'yes'.
>>
>>91122094
never assume. Contact the company if they don't say cover letter or not. At the very least it put you on the radar as somebody who is engaged.

There are a ton of companies who use this as a filtering criteria. See how many people actually send one in when it says to.
>>
>>91121572
If the middle class were actually getting anything out of their federal taxes, it would be fair. But they don't. Making a 150k does not mean you're well off, especially if you wanted to invest in something like a house.
>>
File: 1668791839457.png (207 KB, 528x438)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>be IT install technician
>team has techs assigned globally
>Manager sits in SE Asia for some reason, almost impossible to see in person
>I'm the only guy in our department for a 500 mile radius
>nothing has come down the pipeline in months
>I've just gone into our office, drank a coffee and left every day for the past 9 months
>nobody has called me out and management tells me I'm doing great work
>constantly wondering if all of the other guys around the world are doing the same exact thing I am
>>
>>91122172
>open ChatGPT
>make a cover letter instantly
>HR won't read it anyways, they just see if you have it
>if they do read it, it's very professional
:)
>>
>>91121911
I imagine most people wouldn't hire anyone who starts talking about "mistakes that type checks are catching" when prompted with a question about JIT compiler internals.
>>
File: 1665239739805867.jpg (26 KB, 471x350)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>91122195
>cover letter lectures you for violating some obscure wokeism
>cover letter warns you that the applicant isn't capable of programming on his own
>cover letter includes a content policy violation warning
>>
>>91122094
I've always included a cover letter. But, I have a base template that I work from and edit the details as necessary. Sometimes, I changed the details for a specific company. Sometimes, if I applied to the same type of job across multiple companies, I just changed the company name. Ask ChatGPT to write you one to start from.
>>
>>91122294
What do you think (human) quality control is for, retard. You're suppose to obviously tweak it to yourself.
>>
>>91122353
>getting mad about an obvious joke

autism.
>>
>>91117810
who the fuck still uses lm2576s?
>>
>>91121919
>>91121955
brothers it's 5 am
>>
>>91122043
Nobody under the age of 50 uses cover letters anymore

>>91122174
You've unlocked Easy Mode. Godspeed
>>
I wish I could make myself not feel guilty for not doing any work when I don't have any work that I can even do
>>
>>91122556
You're being grossly underpaid, so don't feel bad
>>
>>91122564
I make pretty good money
More than anyone I know actually
It makes me feel worse
>>
>>91122556
>not doing training on the company dime
ngmi
>>
>>91122604
yeah but they're still making more money off of you than you actually earn
>>
>>91119962
>jira/agile
Quit or move teams asap. Get ready to have micromanagers 3 feet up your ass everyday and the team to turn into a turnover nightmare
>>
>Thank you for your interest in...
>We appreciate you taking the time to apply to...
>Regarding your application for...
>Thank you for the time and effort you've put in in applying to...
>>
File: 1674088698243.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>91122745
My team was the last hold-out actually. I suppose I should stop stalling and send out some resumes, even if it doesn't seem like a good time...
>>
>>91122173
A normal house should not be an investment, unless it's some medieval castle or a work of [architectural] art.
In the UK even flats in leasehold, which you never really own, are considered investments. This bubble will burst one day and it will be ugly, no amount of punishment applied to the middle class will save society from this.
>>
>>91122795
it's over isn't it
>>
>>91119318
>Is brain death really a requirement for being a manager?
No, but it helps. Many managers could be replaced with ChatGPT for a net increase in value to the company and greater employee happiness.
>>
>>91122802
>My team was the last hold-out actually. I suppose I should stop stalling and send out some resumes, even if it doesn't seem like a good time...
Can't think of a better time than when your team switches to agile. Give it a few months, you'll see a good chunk of your team do the same.
>>
>>91122834
I have experience too
>>
Anyone ever feel they've outgrown their role? My job is too fucking easy, it's boring.

I guess it's time to move on. I hope the Joeconomy isn't too shit for me to find greener pastures.
>>
>>91121381
you may as well start university now. by the time the job market stops sucking this bad you will be close to finished
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e1_QhJ1EhQ
this will cost 150k to mass produce, including the AI software
At least those blue collar wageslaves will get replaced before us
>>
I know the economy is going to shit when my car insurance company is trying to check if my wife is real after 6 years.
>>
>>91123173
she's real to me, anon
>>
>>91117895
>but groceries are cheap, rents are cheap, buying an apartment used to have nice interest rates, healthcare won't destroy me financially which is my biggest concern
how cheap are we talking about

>>91118172
we're used to it here

>>91118364
>almost everything here costs less.
that the only cost that matters to me is rent and food.
i save a decent amount because i don't have any expensive hobbies but sadly EU is not a socialist paradise with an unlimited safety net for me to leech off of.
if it was possible to get by without working ever then fuck that? a NEET who gets paid to exist lives better than a SWE that makes 300k but has to work for it

>>91118400
>I personally will make myself have a 30-40 commute for lower rent.
average american commutes 30 minutes one way
>>
>>91123185
they raised my premium $60
I dont even remember putting myself down as married
>>
>>91118268
Wtf is LFW?
>>
>>91123312
looking for work
>>
>>91118408
Sounds like he burnt the fuck out bad. That's exactly how it went for me, I was Steve and one day I just snapped and quit bc I couldn't stand it anymore especially when management and HR was cooking up stupid time wasting shit.
>>
>>91118469
You might have it set to private to everyone except recruiters. This is why you should never add any HR cunts from your company. They request the connect on purpose.
>>
>>91119512
What business are you in? Are you American? Around me even the most inexperienced and proven to be worthless jeetiest of jeets would find even 70k on the low side of entry level salary
>>
>>91118408
Could be dealing with some personal shit. I had some chronic pain flareup bad around three months into my last job and it pretty much tanked my performance after I kicked ass during my probationary period.
>>
>>91119574
Does your company distinguish between "bonus" and the standard 2-3% (for normal times not the current shit show) inflation adjustment that usually goes out? I find it especially scummy when companies refer to these as bonuses
>>
>>91123610
if anything I feel that deferring potential salary raises as bonus pay is whats really scummy. In clapistan eats 22% of anything considered a bonus or supplemental wages
>>
Do analysts count as a "tech" job?
>>
>>91123739
any job that uses technology is a tech job.
Human resources is tech :)
>>
>>91121083
is this normal for the us? last time i was involved in hiring someone we only had two interviews; one remote, and one in person.
>>
File: 1674613464829690.jpg (10 KB, 297x170)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>91123739
>using tools versus building tools
>>
>>91123835
So a factory line worker who makes screws is a tech worker
>>
>>91123739
What type of analyst are we talking about. At least describe the role and tasks. Big difference between a market research analyst and a product analyst.
>>
I'm pretty interested in distributed systems, does anyone have any info on getting experience in that area? Would personal projects like an octapi help?
>>
>>91123868
My guess is an analrapist
>>
File: 002-78643.jpg (1.3 MB, 1920x2400)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>91123858
>analogy, motherfucker, do you speak it?

>8A 8JP X
>>
>apply to company 2 months ago
>get ghosted as usual
>they start sending me monthly newsletters
What the fuck is this? The company is SLB, formerly known as Schlumberger.
>>
How do I get a job where I make $250,000/year for learning the python standard library from YouTube tutorials
>>
>>91124414
I don't want to be rude but if you don't know what a mailing list is....
>>
>>91123909
Do you mean "distributed systems" in the sense of a collection of loosely coupled services that collectively create a product?

Or do you mean "distributed system" in the sense of a fault-tolerant piece of infrastructure like Kafka or Apache Geode that runs the same process on several machines?

If the former, literally any tech company builds those.
If the latter, most of them are open source and pretty well documented.
>>
File: black.jpg (18 KB, 640x853)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>91117511
God i hate the professional managerial class (HR). They are useless parasites on the world with literally zero skills. I fucking hate them so god damn bad. They provide literally no value to the world and suck dry every company dumb enough to hire them. Every single company is overfilling with these stupid cunts who decide to hire more stupid cunts. I don't understand how everyone collectively tolerates these complete retards when their only purpose is being dumb animals, filling out useless productivity metric tools (which are completely useless because of Goodhart's Law) and causing chaos.
>>
>>91119512
You sound like a massive prick, hope you die t b h
>>
>>91125029
>massive prick
>hope you die
Yeah that adds up

>4TRSK
>>
>>91119345
> steve does 60% of your teams work but you're withholding bonus from him because he refuses to instantly suck your dick and act happy baby around you

I didn't know that being permanently braindead was such a requirement for managers.
>>
>>91119345
his bonus is not for work he's going to do in the future, retard. its for the work he already did.
>>
>>91124915
HR exists to warp the circumstances of employment law against the favor of the employees. They're like how you might have a Regulatory group that deals with SEC requirements so that it doesn't become a legal issue. The things they do in the margins are just to kill time. Their real role is to represent the employer against the interests of the employee. They're the dealers at the blackjack table, and they are not your friends.
>>
>Work history less than a year of tech when disregarding the three years of fluff I can add from my security guard role
I have a security+ cert as well but this is what I get for trying to bank on getting a sponsorship to move me out of here. I could easily get a job locally but I hate my state so much.
>>
>>91124775
The second one, mostly I'd be interested in things like consenus protocols and the like
>>
File: loves-petted.gif (54 KB, 878x196)
54 KB
54 KB GIF
I spent 5 minutes today reducing some shitty automated code scan in our CI pipeline from 35 minutes to 8, give me a participation trophy pl0x
>>
>>91119607
I really hope you read this. You're a shitty fucking manager man. Seriously, I don't know how you have gotten this far with such incredibly poor leadership skills. You clearly don't give a fuck about steve, even though you claim you value him (talking about how if he quits your manager is going to be pissed and the fact he does 60% of your teams work) but are also completely worthless in helping him and retaining him as staff (ie: engage him in any way, actually take him to lunch or literally just have a fucking conversation with him about how he's doing). Then you continue to underpay him poverty tier mcdonalds wages for a highly skilled job and THEN refuse to properly back him for a promotion or raise.

You are a fucking cunt dude and i feel bad for anyone involved in your miserable life.
>>
>applications aren't responding
should I just focus on finishing my degree or what
>>
>>91125731
no you should drop out, that'll improve your response rate
>>
fagman bros...
>>
>>91125836
it's over
>>
>>91118408
>he ended up taking a lot more tasks and helped me around a lot with senior management and planning projects
this nigger is overworked, there's your problem you fucking idiot.
>>
> finally done polishing a simple turd of an app after 13 months
feels good
>>
>>91125836
kek the fagmen are coming for your entry level and "bad" jobs code monkeys
>>
>>91125836
not my heckin free fooderinos
>>
File: 1663252399447858.gif (1.23 MB, 350x250)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB GIF
>>91119512
>We pay around 40k for his role. He's in an entry level position but he's been doing stuff my senior level dev does. I offered to bump him to 50k but that's the most upper management will budge on.
>40k
>been doing stuff my senior level dev does
>40k
>I offered to bump him to 50k
>but that's the most upper management will budge on
>been doing stuff my senior level dev does
>>
>>91119512
Are you my boss and is 'Steve' not really named 'Steve'? This is getting suspiciously close-to-home...
>>
File: 1460940302096.jpg (9 KB, 255x247)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>91125964
no fagman will lower himself to work for as little as I strive for
[spoiler]seriously I really need a job[/spoiler]
>>
>>91125836
>gets the job that everybody else gets
>is this all I'm worth
Who the freak are these people and why are they allowed to vote?
>>
File: 1667922992186.png (374 KB, 919x797)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
>>91125836
>>91125836
>>91125836
!!!
>>
>>91120623
which coding books senpai?
>>
breaking the news to the new hire that our team barely does any coding is rough
he thought he would just be able to pick up a ticket and get to work
I feel bad for him
>>
File: syndromeofadown.png (294 KB, 639x594)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>be me, programmer at small company
>using cvsnt because that's better than the shell scripts used before before
>one guy tried to update to subversion before git existed and boss threw a hissy fit about merging files on mainframes in the 80s
>have file server with a new directory for major releases
>no branches are allowed because boss so half the code is actually stored as attachments to emails
>minor releases arent copied into file server nor repos
>he is currently going senile and no one can use the source control because he shits it up so bad that it takes days of yelling to get it to a buildable state
i know i need to just get another job but this one gives me my own office and lets me come and go as i want
>>
>>91126852
The sooner his soul dies the less it has to suffer.
>>
>>91126852
what is he gonna be doing instead?
>>
>>91126852
how much are you paying him?
if it's a big company he's probably looking to transfer out or find a new job asap
>>
>in lieu of masters degree and 5 years experience - no degree and 15 years experience
>implying it takes 15 years to learn how to use eMASS and microsoft excel
>woman owned business
>doesn't pay you more than 90k salary
What drives people to make job postings like this?
>>
I've been working 2 years as a Technical Support rep for some medical equipment shit. Use ticketing system, and what little 'IT' stuff I do, (passwords and such) I use a company web app for it. No AD or anything standard.

I'm trying to get a better paying job. Thinking about getting a cert or two. Do I bother with comptia A+? Or should I just try and get the Network+ and security+ plus ones? Trying to get a relevant cert that isn't super expensive and is somewhat easy to pass.
>>
What does a security analyst actually do all day? Do you guys just read logs and shit? The pay and experience seems to be about the same as helpdesk but is it less shitty or the same?
>>
>>91127373
if you don't have a+ or network+ now, don't bother

read this

https://pauljerimy.com/security-certification-roadmap/
>>
>>91127373
Personally I think Comptia is a racket, they don’t teach you shit. CCNA/Azure/AWS will tie you to that vendor, but at least you’ll learn *something* about how to actually use a computer to do the work. Check local job ads to see what’s most in demand, in my city it’s Azure.
>>
>>91127449
Jesus thats a lot. What do you recommend that's easier to take? I just considered the comptia ones because I've heard of them and compared to the CCNA it's easier.
>>
>>91126852
Kek, this thread is so depressing sometimes. This is how I feel. I just want to work. I don't want to stand in front of my screen staring off into space.

>you can't do that anon! I know this department could use your script idea, but it's not aprooooved!!!
>no, anon, you can't just help somebody with their code! we need a ticket for that! it has to be approved!!!

Shit, I just want a job to do. Elon Musk is right, this industry is full of human goldfish that are content to just swim around in the bowl doing nothing. I would be happier if the boss told me to go outside and make sandcastles. At least I'd be doing something.
>>
>>91127489
What sort of jobs should I be looking up, title wise? All the IT support jobs are very vague in my area just stating "strong knowledge in networking - certs a plus"
>>
>>91127491
It depends on what type of job you want to do. Each of the certs covers a category at the top. Those black certs (excluding programming language) are big certs that get you top level senior positions, granted you have the experience. Also exclude sec+, that is like the way to start working towards the rest, but a lot of places want sec+ if you're doing vulnerability/risk management
>>
>>91126852
He can just practice and train while he has nothiing to do
>>
>>91127541
Yea I was thinking of doing security+ after doing network+ as I read it helps. And as for what kind of job, I'm not sure. I just want to make $60k+. What kind of job titles should I be looking into? Would prefer to get away from phone calls and shit.
>>
>>91127588
>What kind of job titles should I be looking into?
Cyber Security Architect
Cyber Security Analyst
Information Systems Security Manager
Cyber Security Engineer
Information Security Officer

Anything with Architect, Engineer, Manager at the end, and Sr/Senior or Executive at the front is a high paying job. Otherwise 60k+ is basically the majority of mid level jobs you get with a Sec+/Network+ and some experience.
>>
>meeting with customer tomorrow to say we're a month behind schedule
>original deadline was friday
gonna be a bad time, fuck me
>>
>>91127505
Systems administrator, systems engineer, cloud administrator, cloud engineer, cloud devops, security analyst, SOC analyst…

Not saying any of these will pay but at least there’s a career path unlike helldesk
>>
>>91127702
>>91127653
Thanks for the info. Probably will just do network+ as I've seen a few jobs so far list it. Hoping my 2 years of "technical support" will be a good buffer for experience.
>>
File: 1502527155254.png (13 KB, 184x218)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>91127499
>Hey boss rather than using a whole VM for this one program, why not just containerize it with Docker and let people use it with that?
>Well no because our ancient department head and our halfwit system administrator dont know how to use Docker so we actually can't do that
>>
>>91127682
>fuck me
y-yes sir....
>>
>>91127955
>tfw trying to become smooth with docker
>people don't build their images to run on it's default platform on Macs
>can't build a container out of their image
>have to now make a linux VM to run the container on Mac
i hate my life, and once i become proficient with docker, i will hate everyone else too
>>
if i'm drunk and have a a+ voucher (that i paid for), is it a bad idea to blow it on attempt right now
>>
>>91128145
wait i meant
>it is a bad idea
>>
>>91128155
no i definitely think i meant
>is it a bad idea
also why the h*ck does the default w10 vpc install try to install an activex plugin in current year + 9?
>>
>>91128181
Shut up nigga, matrix dressing ass nigga, pickle chin ass boi
>>
File: 1672524776987034.png (12 KB, 411x718)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>the mouse and watch trick to keep your Teams status to available doesn't work anymore
>>
>>91129226
I thought everyone just does the weight on the control key.
>>
I have social anxiety.
Is there coding works I can do online without required offline interactions?
>>
>>91129686
>>91129686
>>91129686
>>91129686
>>
>>91128139
>Mac
You know that ARM Macs are useless outside iOS development and web stuff right?
You can't just expect people to build their images for a snowflake platform that won't be used in production anyway.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.