[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1668810782087431.jpg (921 KB, 1108x2650)
921 KB
921 KB JPG
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-officially-introduces-pay-as-you-go-chip-licensing

Intel has officially revealed its Intel On Demand program that will activate select accelerators and features of the company's upcoming Xeon

>Super Scalable Sapphire Rapids (SSSR) processor.

The new pay-as-you-go program will allow Intel to reduce the number of SKUs it ships while still capitalizing on the technologies it has to offer.

Furthermore, its clients will be able to upgrade their machines without replacing actual hardware or offering additional services to their clients. Intel's upcoming Intel's 4th Generation Xeon processors are equipped with various special-purpose accelerators and security technologies that all customers do not need at all times.

To offer such end-users additional flexibility regarding investments,

>Intel will deliver them to buy its CPUs with those capabilities disabled but turn them on if they are needed at some point.

<You will pay Intel and they send you a code to unlock your CPUs full power.

<Once unlocked the CPU will not accidentally revert back to limited state of operability.

The Software Defined Silicon (SDSi) technology will also allow Intel to sell fewer CPU models and then enable its clients or partners to activate certain features if needed. The list of technologies that Intel wants to make available on demand includes Software Guard Extensions, Dynamic Load Balancer (DLB), Intel Data Streaming Accelerator (DSA), Intel In-Memory Analytics Accelerator (IAA), Intel In-Memory Analytics Accelerator, and Intel QuickAssist Technology (QAT) to accelerate specific workloads.
>>
Sounds like a good idea
>>
Intel shall die for this
>>
>>89949589
but fucking WHY

how could anyone think this is a good idea?
>>
>>89949589
>be intel
>bleeding HPC customers because of competition
>decide to jew the remaining HPC customers
Is Intel trying to fail?
>>
Expert hacker here. We will be able to hack into them easily
>>
>>89949589
There has to be a way of taking the ihs off and unlocking it
>>
>>89950848
Teach me ur ways. Babbies first hacker book to read?
>>
>>89950369
Whats wrong goyim kun you dont like hardware-as-a-service?
>>
>>89949589
so every chip has to be fully capable, which means they can only use the best chips from the wafer?
seems retarded, yield-wise.
>>
File: not this thread again.png (935 KB, 980x720)
935 KB
935 KB PNG
>>89949589
Do we really need this thread every 12 hours for two months straight?
I want Incel in the oven like any decent Aryan man, but A) this only affects globalhomo megacorps, and skullfuck them with 500 bayonettes each, and B) everyone on /g/ knows all this FFS.
It's like having a thread every 12 hours warning about Windows telemetry. Like, duh.
>>
File: kpqp8qnbakz91.jpg (1.26 MB, 3024x4032)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
This is the most jewish tactic I've ever read in life.
>>
File: Merchaint.png (521 KB, 576x704)
521 KB
521 KB PNG
>>89951047
Cool it with the anti semitism
>>
File: FiX0XhNVEAAb2IA.jpg (107 KB, 896x895)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>89951090
Whatever you say.
>>
>>89951047
Your kot is cool, but mine are better.
>>
File: jews.jpg (326 KB, 901x901)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
>>89951119
Good lad, wouldnt want the adl to come a knocking
>>
File: intelupgradecard.jpg (63 KB, 600x392)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>89949589
this shit again?
>>
File: disgust.jpg (40 KB, 512x512)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>89950369
this is just bots farming /g/

They do the same thing on Twitter and reddit. People literally buy negative/positive sentiment.
>>
>>89951420
I can assure you there is a lot of dislike of incelAviv processors on this site. From real humans.

It's a very despicable jewish tactic, it's a scam. Unfortunatly it will wake off because companies are the biggest pushovers when it comes to to things like this because they will just milk whoever pays them harder in turn.
>>
>>89950848
give me the hack to unlock overclocking and hyperthreading on all intel cpus mr hackerman
>>
>>89949589
so they basically admit that the cheapest celerons price also covers their top of line models costs?
>>
>>89951517
just crack the signature and you can even change its architecture! the hardware is not limited to anything specific like x86 but drm prevents you from reflashing it to be for example an arm cpu
>>
>>89951047
Yuo must never have read a single thing about Apple products then. Best that you stay away from reading anything as it will blow your mind!
>>
>>89949589
Didn't read. Send nudes.
>>
>>89949589
For the good of human progress this company cannot survive to the end of the decade,
>>
File: me.png (391 KB, 800x600)
391 KB
391 KB PNG
For me, that's very good news.
>>
File: 6o3ssq.jpg (59 KB, 498x375)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>89949589
I'm trying to think how they could even implement something like this. It's very bizarre to think about.
I'm not an expert but from what I know, for a program to tell other programs "fuck off, you can't use this", they need to be part of the OS Kernel. So can we expect for it to come ingrained in Windows Updates by the point the processor rolls in?
I really hope whatever crack rolls out becomes popular among the normie populace, so this venture completely and utterly fails. Fuck these anti-consumer pieces of shit, including Microsoft for allowing it.
>>
If they keep this crap on Xeon it could work.

I don't see any advantage to push this for the consumer space.
>>
>>89949589
>upcoming Xeon
>enterprise trash
don't care

>>89950848
no.
>>89950876
unless you have the private keys then no.

>>89950911
>so every chip has to be fully capable, which means they can only use the best chips from the wafer?
>seems retarded, yield-wise.
cheaper for intel to make one chip with that's already capable of everything and then locking parts of it off than it is to make wafers of every variation they had planned.
>>
>>89950911
If Intel uses the best chips for every Xeon this could be pretty good. They can sell a Xeon for the entire generation and you will pay to unlock the rest of the performance. Less than ideal chips can go to the consumer market.
>>
>>89949589
Why are people freaking out, they already cut out functioning parts of the cpu to make more low tier ones, now you will be able to get them back
>>
File: 819.jpg (31 KB, 600x600)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>89956006
>You will pay
I won't, I'd rather die or go live in a mudhut thay pay for this shit.
There are certain points in a man's life when he just has to say "no, shove it up your ass" and this is it for me.
>>
File: kys-meme.gif (99 KB, 220x229)
99 KB
99 KB GIF
>>89956080
>>
>>89956098
its pretty crazy that the prices of the cpus are only based on greed. i thought that it had at last a little bit to do with production costs but no, the best xeon costs the same as the cheapest celeron
>>
File: cat-in-the-hat.jpg (17 KB, 350x450)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>89951047
i'm in ur cpu
throttling ur processes
>>
>>89949589
Sounds like people are gonna get fired for buying Intel.
>>
>>89949589
gonna need sauce papi
>>
>>89949589
Lmaoing at people that are still "surprised" by the concept of HaaS
>>
>>89955949
You didn't understand what he said. He said Intel takes dies from high end batches with defects that break some of those high end features, and sells them as lower end processors.
I suppose the answer is that those dies will be sold as consumer CPUs and not as Xeons.
>>
>>89956330
R&D costs money.
>>
>>89950884
>Babbies first hacker book to read?

Carolyn Meinel's guide to (mostly) harmless hacking.
>>
kiketel
>>
>>89957254
Intel is a branch of the Israeli government
Israel gets billions per year in free handouts from the golem nations
I think they're doing okay, bud
(no refunds, goy)

>>89957431
!אױ װײ
>>
>>89949589
HARDWARE-AS-A-SERVICE IS HERE LET'S FUCKING GO BABY
>>
File: 1560282698444.gif (57 KB, 160x120)
57 KB
57 KB GIF
>>89957452
>>
>>89949589

Why do pay-as-you-go features have a very BMW seat warmer subscription vibes?
>>
>>89950369
Heh, butt fucking
>>
>>89951047
Wait until you hear about cars
>>
>>89949589
>be intel
>delay sapphire rapids for 2.5 years
>instead of competing with second get epyc its gonna compete 3.5gen epyc
>its already far behind
>decided to lock down features
>features that is free on the competitor that is currently raping them
>thinks its a good idea
>>
>>89957970
the management board jews lives in another planet
>>
>>89957970
who are you quoting?
>>
>>89949589
It's been done months ago already
>>
File: intel.jpg (122 KB, 1500x1054)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>89951047
>>
>>89958078
Intel management, probably.
>>
>>89955932
Firmware level. The CPU just doesn't expose the features to the OS
>>
File: uhoh.jpg (403 KB, 2100x1500)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>89958073
I wonder which planet that might be???
>>
>>89958344
cpu as a HaaS concept is 30 years old and normal in the industry with IBM for example
>>
>>89949589
I tried to organize my thoughts on this with more clarity, and all I could do is scream at the computer screen. So, good luck Intel, and please expedite this experiment. Only good things can come of it.
The new design philosophy is hurting people. You are not successful until you misery someone.
>>
>>89949589
What a fucking tight body, shame about the roastie face though
>>
>>89949589
More like, "cum n go"
>>
>>89951047
Let me tell you about planned obsolescence then
>>
>>89950004
Fuck off shill
>>89950323
spbp
Can't wait for China to make CPUs.
>>
>>89949589
I don't see an issue with this. As a business leader, this allows me to procure newer chips with more robust feature sets (as a value add) that I can enable on demand, instead of me forking out a bunch of capex $ up front, I now have the ability to pick and choose features as well as turn them down if I don't need them, while still realizing the benefits of the newer chipset. Burst on demand -w- paid support is a nice feature to have, especially for businesses who rely on private cloud to host their operations.

This product isn't meant for the users of this board (NEETs and undergraduate students).
>>
>>89951165
>redeeeeeeeem
sirs I....
>>
>>89962901
Remember these words as you scramble to put out metaphorical/literal fires.
>>
>>89962901
>paid support is a nice feature to have,
this is LITERALLY the only thing in your ramble that made any sense. & frankly if you're paying for a premium service (regardless of value added bells & whistles) that should be standard.

Otherwise as a business owner you are saying you want to pay more for something you may or may not use.

t. akshull biz owner - this is a fucking nightmare for both service and delivery
>be me
>ict installer
>install hw with literal crippled chips
>client wants FASTER
>gibs MEEEE FASTER
>redeem the code plz sir via in(c)tel
>but you installed it - you have an obligation to provide muh with the hw I asked for
>yes but intel limits the chip...
>so you installed a faulty product for me?
>no sir, it is deliberately rate limited until you pay to unlock it...

what a fucking shitshow and there's already shills spruiking it here....
>>
>>89962901
>As a business leader,
also - been doing this long enough to know that anyone who says shit like this enjoys smoke blown up their arse.

PROTIP: if you have to tell people you're in charge... you probably aren't.
>>
>>89949589
This is some of the best news AMD has heard this year.
>>
This is a big deal for business IT. It lowers initial CAPEX spend and gives some flexibility on performance from the OPEX budget. Even if it increases the final cost, it will have a place in many organizations.
>>
File: Chloe.jpg (267 KB, 1258x693)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>89962901
>>89964604
samefagging and using buzz acronyms from /biz/

m8 - saving on capital expenditure in the short term is a fools errand - muh Grandad used to call it
>wood for the trees thinking
it's a short term gain for a long term loss. It's the equivalent of "saving" money by buying retail over commercial.

Sure the bill is smaller at the checkout but the repairs and replacements will hit you hard.

In this case your infrastructure will be cheaper from the outset but the subscriptions/per-use unlocking fees will sure as fuck pile up & I'd put money on the fact that you'll spend more on that than you would've just paid getting chips in your hw that ran at the specs you needed rather than having to basically pay to overclock them..

At this point I'm guessing if this wasn't 4chinz you'd have an interest to declare.
>>
>>89964939
> I'd put money on the fact that you'll spend more on that than you would've just paid getting chips in your hw that ran at the specs you needed rather than having to basically pay to overclock them
Yeap. And for many organizations that is going to be preferable over a larger capital expenditure. Big CAPEX spend carries a lot more bureaucracy and trouble with it. And for a big capital expenditure they'll want you to use it all the way to the end of the depreciation schedule before replacing it. This model actually makes that more sensible, since you can do mid-life upgrades. That said, if you think CAPEX/OPEX are just buzzwords, congrats on being in a position where you don't have to deal with execs and the bean counters.
>>
Who the fuck still uses xeon CPUs instead of Epyc? They are going to allienate the 5 guys who still buy xeon.
>>
>>89965192
About 80% of the server CPU market based on units shipped last quarter.
>>
>>89962901
You deserve death.
>>
>>89965149
>congrats on being in a position where you don't have to deal with execs and the bean counters.
spoton - biz owner, so ultimate exec/beancounter.

I have many corporate clients and honestly their initial expenditure (pre June 30th) is fairly excessive when compared with their ongoing maintenance/replacement schedule.

Depreciation doesn't come into it with ict hw and the fact that you raise it shows your ignorance of the field. Everything I install is consumable (including hw) as it's essentially obsolete once it's off the shelf. This isn't even just a basic ict biz practice.

None of my clients "return" their hw for new - it all goes to recycling (more likely landfill but let's not tackle that red herring).

Mid life upgrades is just adding an extra step to the schedule and lets take a moment we are discussing
>paying intel a per-use fee to effectively overclock pre-limited chips

hope those intel execs are paying you well - if you were my marketing team you'd be headed off to the soup kitchens by now.
>>
What's the issue?
>>
>>89967289
somebody is gonna hack it

>hacker white hat

he provides a code to to maximize the CPU potential for free, Intel loses money

>hacker black hat

he attacks your computer from internet and reverts the CPU to its worst possible state, just for laughs
>>
>>89967289
Intel trying to cuck even more their goyims
>>
I hate jews.
>>
>>89949589
fuck them and everyone like them. Ryzen here I come.
>>
>>89967410
How?
>>
>>89950369
>make one product, save money as you don't have to engineer and manufacture multiple designs
vs
>make multiple products, have to spend money on the assembly line to make separate products
why is this so hard to understand
>>
>>89967314
And the probabilities of this happening are:?
>>
Intel is done for and is not just a technical disadvantage anymore.
They have been flooding the laptop market with shitty 2c/2c atom CPUs to the point were I have to tell my relatives to return the fucking things and get anything with a ryzen sticker on in instead because not even an SSD and extra RAM can save them. Now they are crippling their server division right after coming short several billions on that department.
>>
File: 1669172324196209.png (658 KB, 832x875)
658 KB
658 KB PNG
>It's the year 2030
>Cant use my PC for nothing else but work because I don't have enough intel credits left.
>Sharing my BlackRock Rent+ Family plan with strangers is now officially illegal.
>Decide I've had enough and use my last GoogleCoins to find an officially certified Suicidebox near me.
>Try to use my car to get there but it's not turning on.
>Find out that I'm locked out of Tesla+ because my content on twitter dint generate enough views.
>>
>>89952675
>what about!!
like that excuses anything
>>
>>89967794
Or...
Make product that just works instead of adding copious amounts of soft locks to "justify" juicing the customer even more.

Inb4 leaving money on the table.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.