[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1637875200697.png (1.1 MB, 1433x1965)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
Welcome to /fglt/ – Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
– Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What about Manjaro?
Manjaro is a bad distro. Don't use it.
https://manjarno.snorlax.sh/
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
https://overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/1175569

IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>89909169
>>
First for Gentoo
>>
Second for Gentoo
>>
>>89939761
Reddit Enjoyer
>>
>>89939671
why would anyone fuck with having to learn terminal commands to do the most basic shit? lol lmao linuxkeks will never fix this and thus will never become desktop os
>>
Nvidia driver annoying.
Want play game, on demand mode doesn't work, gotta log back in with performance mode.
Want go back to on demand mode now? Fukka you screen freeze you can't click anything now
hard restart with power button
>>
i love learning terminal commands
who's with me
>>
what app do you guys use for listening to music? i want something with that can scrobble to last.fm. should i use something with gui for less ram usage?
>>
I'm trying to run an older version of the Linux kernel for debian, and so far I have tried to load it through the bootloader of the device (OpenSBI), using bootm to load the vmlinuz image, but it fails, asking for a device tree. Is there a way to generate a device tree .dtb file from the existing running debian distro or should I package the older kernel as a .deb package, install it that way and also install grub? I have been trying to avoid installing grub though.
>>
File: U-Boot_Logo.png (105 KB, 1200x1574)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>89940427
You make DTB from the Linux kernel sources.
make dtbs

or something like that. Then copy the appropriate file over and tell your bootloader to use it.
>OpenSBI
>bootm
Uhhh is that like U-Boot?
Do you have already existing boot scripts you could use as a reference?
>>
>>89940197
mpd + client of your choice (there are clients for desktop, terminal, smartphones etc. https://www.musicpd.org/clients/ I recommend ncmpcpp)
There are various tools that can scrobble to last.fm, there is one mentioned on the link I mentioned.
>>
>>89940740
man i fucking love you hope you have no problems in your life for rest of your life
>>
>>89940197
clementine, it werks
>>
>>89940589
Yeah, it is like uboot, and it says it supports booting from uImage, Image or zImage files, and that has me a bit confused. I have taken the vmlinuz image of the kernel I want to run from a running installation, and I don't know if I should repackage that or compile it anew from the sources and package the resulting vmlinux file to use
>>
>>89940197
Audacious is pretty groovy
>>
>>89939969
the reason why you got filtered by CLI is because you cant read

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>>
>>89941675
>giving (You)s to extremely low quality bait
Come on, anon.
>>
>>89941806
its /g/, there is no way to differentiate between bait and your average /g/ opinion
>>
>>89941120
>it says it supports booting from uImage, Image or zImage files, and that has me a bit confused
uImage is the fancy format that nobody seems to be using and zImage is the basic stuff. "Image" image is just an uncompressed image.

>I have taken the vmlinuz image of the kernel I want to run from a running installation, and I don't know if I should repackage that or compile it anew from the sources and package the resulting vmlinux file to use
IIRC it's already compressed ie. what you got is a zImage and U-Boot loads them with "loadz" command.
>>
asking here since you guys know more
its about mpv, do you guys know how do i make mpv more similar to mpc-hc or vlc?
mpv is being shilled everywhere and i dont mind trying it out for the cli nature of it is not helping me that much
>>
my microphone only starts working once I physically unplug it and replug it back in, once per reboot. running gentoo + pipewire. how can this even be an issue? any ideas?
>>
>>89942150
I see, but OpenSBI only has bootm and booti. I load vmlinuz with load mmc 0:2 (the sd card partition that has the rootfs) $kernel_addr_r vmlinuz-5.5.0, and then bootm/booti $kernel_addr_r. But it gives me a "wrong image format or missing dtb file" error.
>>
>>89942238
personally i just use it for movies and very rarely music. Its stupidly easy to use anyway,there is a GUI button for audio track, gui button for subtitles and even gui button for sound. You can just drag file into it, or literally just open a terminal in your folder type in 3 letters and press tab. You can feed it a text file as a playlist. I just dont see whats so hard about it or what more do you need. Also since its CLI you can automate the shit out of it.
>>
>>89942321
have you checked its status before and after replugging? Is it listed as a source?
>>
>>89942456
it is, for example in pavucontrol. but when I first try it on a new boot, no audio comes through at all (no bar even in pavucontrol) but when I replug it, it just has audio suddenly, and that's the only difference I have noticed
>>
>>89940197
https://rentry.org/fag
>>
>>89940197
I use lollypop, it's good enough
>>
give me one reason not to install fedora workstation right now
>>
>update kernel
>update elilo config
>still hangs at boot
bros maybe I'm not cut out for this
>>
>>89943156
just read the error message and google it
>>
Libreoffice only launches with --safe-mode. Without it I get the following in my terminal after it crashes:
HSA exception: Queue create failed at hsaKmtCreateQueue

I've tried deleting the .config/libreoffice directory and the /etc/conf.d/libreoffice file but that didn't fix it.

What do?
>>
>>89942333
Need to load the dtb file too.
>>
>>89943221
there IS no error message. it just hangs after reading initrd
>>
>>89943406
why do you have initrd
>>
>>89943342
I see, so I'll just use 'make dtbs' in the /opt/device tree or wherever it is in the linux installation to create the .dtb file, and load it alongside the vmlinuz image? I hope that can work, it's an experimental risc-v processor running on FPGA.
>>
Should I use something else other than TAR to archive something that I want to work in the far future?
>>
I am on win10. Have a blank 500gb ssd I want to setup as an ext4 formated drive with Ubuntu 22.04.1. This is for another computer and will be hosting a plex server. IVE NEVER USED LINUX, rufus only allows fat32 and ntfs when tryin to format it with the ubuntu iso file... What do I do/any other tool I should be using? Should I turn back and install windows now, I want to learn.
>>
>>89943625
dual boot system?
>>
>>89943681
No, its going in an old computer (i7 7700k if that matters) my media is on a ntfs 16tb internal drive. I want the ssd to host the operating system and the plex database, wont be using the pc for anything else.
>>
>>89943625
i dont quite understand what you are trying to do. You are trying to format a 500 ssd with ext4?
>>
>>89943625
if you're talking about the installation usb, fat should work fine
during actual setup you can make the drive itself ext4 formatted
>>
>>89943625
You don't format the SSD with an ISO file, you put the SSD into the target computer and create an installer USB stick with Rufus.
>>
>>89943556
TAR is the worst format possible for archiving, it has all the downsides of tape and offers no advantages compared to all other formats.
If you need a 1 KB file from a 1 TB TAR archive then you'll have to read up to 1 TB of garbage before even confirming that the 1 KB file is indeed there.
Do yourself a favor and use an actually useful archiving format, such as ZIP or 7z.
>>
>>89943468
boomerware
>>
File: 1665430557267750.jpg (117 KB, 687x589)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>89939671
I am retarded, trying linux for first time
Heard that its much better than windows, but how is it better? What should i learn or do to appreciate this OS?
>>
>>89943751
Maybe Im dumb. I understand linux prefers ext4, so I'm trying to put the ubuntu .iso on this blank 500gb ssd using rufus, but it only allows me to format in ntfs or fat32. Minitool partition wizard allows me to format the ext4, but I don't know how to get the iso on there since windows wont see the drive. My questions I suppose.
>Is there another tool I should be using like rufus?
>am i confused?
>does it even matter if I just leave it as an ntfs drive, linux doesnt care that much?

I hope that makes sense, Im not that technologically ept.
>>
>>89943801
>how is it better
Free as in freedom. Feels like the car doesn't drive me.
>>
>>89943760
So throw the iso on there in fat32 and during installation on the other machine I have the ability to make it ext4?
>>
>>89943766
Which would be better to group files without compression so I can compress them later with, say, zstd?
I didn't know 7z was FOSS and that ZIP is an "open format", whatever that is.
>If you need a 1 KB file from a 1 TB TAR archive then you'll have to read up to 1 TB of garbage before even confirming that the 1 KB file is indeed there.
Oh, I remember trying to extract a single file from an 800Gb tar alright.
>>
File: file.png (23 KB, 671x136)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
i fucking hate this. why it cant fucking connect to api? i tried everything but it doesnt work. i tried to set the verbose to 0, 1 and 2 and still not working im literally on verge of killing myself.
[last.fm]
# How verbose mpdscribble's logging should be. Default is 1.
verbose = 0

url = http://post.audioscrobbler.com/
username = xxxx
password = xxxx
# The file where mpdscribble should store its Last.fm journal in case
# you do not have a connection to the Last.fm server.
journal = /var/cache/mpdscribble/lastfm.journal

>>89943801
>Heard that its much better than windows, but how is it better?
low ram usage, open source so you can find any program according to your taste and needs. you can do anything you want with your system, you can literally uninstall bootloader and fuck up your computer, it allows you to do that.

>What should i learn or do to appreciate this OS?
give it a go and dont be afraid of asking questions. if you are lazy, dont wanna spend your hours on some stupid error like i do currently, dont install it. its more like an hobby right now.
>>
>>89943824
you are dumb(sorry not sorry).

-get usb stick
-use rufus to write iso file to usb stick
-put usb stick into computer with 500Gb drive
-press all the necessary bios buttons to make bios load OS from USB stick(either does it by default or you have to press F8 or something like that)
-proceed with installation process
>>
>>89943824
You don't put the ISO on the SSD. You put the ISO on a USB drive and use it to install on the SSD.
>>
File: 4pql3k.jpg (8 KB, 250x205)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>89943895
>>89943896
Thank you both. I understand now.
>>
>>89943891
Should i use sourceforge and what should i install as a must have. thx for reply
>>
File: microfag.png (892 KB, 2238x1251)
892 KB
892 KB PNG
>>89943801
its easier to look at it from another angle:

windows is good for:

-launching fortnite
-launching microsoft office
-launching adobe products
-having perfectly functional nvidia drivers

none of that is because of windows itself tho. All of it is a function of microcock's monopoly on PC operating systems market.

Linux on the other hand is good for literally anything else, given you have necessary amount of skill. 95% of the problems people experience with linux are a result of their skill issue.

So the question of whether you should or should'nt use linux comes down to whether or not you use your computer as an actual computer and not just a glorified videogames launcher.
>>
>>89943975
no, every distro has its own package manager like ubuntu has apt, arch has pacman, debian has dpkg, red hat has rpm etc. etc. after you install your linux distribution which i would go with linux mint if i am complete beginner and want something similar to windows. when i was a beginner i tried manjaro and it was pretty solid but buggy as fuck. i tried ubuntu, arch, manjaro and endeavour. maybe you should look for guides in OP
>>
>>89943975
you can:

-compile from source
-use containerized stuff(appimage,etc)
-use packet managers

packet managers and containerized stuff is the easiest way of installing stuff. Tho packet managers introduce dependency hell(doesnt always bite you in the ass, but sometimes does) and containers have disk overhead and other penalties.
>>
What do you anons think about NixOS?
>>
>>89943156
>>89943406
>>89943789
ah fuck it, I just used a live usb to fix it with grub
no fucking idea why I even stuck with elilo, shits been abandonware for loke 9 years now
>>
>>89943801
there probably isn't much of a reason to switch to linux if you're not currently seething at your operating system. i had been curious about linux for a while but now i'm guaranteed switching because microshit has cucked me for the last time at this point (the latest issue among many is my new laptop's keyboard keeps switching to canadian french and i can already tell this is going to be a whole debacle so fuck it i'll just learn linux's ecosystem and git gud at an OS that doesn't make me rage daily and has more customization). people say linux offers freedom because linux distros typically don't force you to do retarded shit like create a microsoft account, and they allow you to customize your OS to extremely autistic degrees whereas windows, mac, etc. hide all that stuff from their users with literal laws

speaking of which, pls respond >>89943109
>>
>>89944046
Cant deny it, windows was always easy to boot and use os i enjoyed for 20 years, decided to learn some coding and go all in with changing to more difficult OS at this point.
>>89944052
Nice, now when i found forum and how they explained package manager its much easier to navigate, thanks anon, this really helped.
>>89944165
Skimmed through containerized/packaged apps, as i understood the former is more used for security/stability reasons, while the latter used for convenience. Did i get it right?
>>
>>89944260
>another red hat meme
never read anything positive about it. What does it have that debian or arch and its forks dont have?
>>
Should i move from Manjaro to Arch?
>>
>>89943865
>no compression
7z in "only store" mode, meaning no compression. All archiving formats (but TAR) have configurable compression levels and methods, it's worth reading their manual.
>remember trying
The thing with TAR is that it has no index. You must read the archive sequentially up to the file you're interested in. Lucky if the file is close to the start of the TAR, unlucky otherwise. A TAR with lots of files is worse than plague since you can't list the contents without reading the entire archive, this is simply retarded. In fact, it's much worse than raw tape since modern LTO does have a file index.
>>
>>89944269
>containerized/packaged
they are both about convenience. packaged apps are downloaded from repositories and automatically installed in preconfigured directories. they share libraries and as a result of that they are loaded faster and take less space. But that also introduces dependency hell.

Appimages, flatpacks and other memes are the opposite of that. You have a binary and its libraries in one package that you can just copy to another system and it will just work, but they take more space and introduce disk overhead.
>>
>>89943891
is that the output of verbose = 2? perhaps you could see what's really happening with wireshark or tcpdump
>>
>>89944418
Yes, Arch has an installer now.
>>
File: 1669328383607.png (72 KB, 941x488)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>89943975
>sourceforge
It's dead, let it rest in peace.
>>
>>89944418
why shouldnt you?
>>
>>89944448
as i mentioned in the code section its verbose = 0 and i will try to use wireshark thank you
>>
>>89943801
>I am retarded, trying linux for first time
First, define your use case. What do you do on Windows?
>>
>>89944462
does it say anything specific with 2?
>>
File: file.png (19 KB, 669x118)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>89944474
nope, not a single thing.
>>
>>89944260
Why did you think of Fedora and what do you even do on your computer? Did you take the time to see what corporate applications you use and if you need to substitute it with free software?
>>
>>89944436
>they take more space and introduce disk overhead.
When 4TB SSDs and 8TB commercial hard drives are now commonplace, does this bloat for the sake of convenience really matter?
>>
>>89944429
I see. Will do.
Thank you.
>>
>>89944436
Got it thx
>>89944455
I didnt care much before, what alternatives are there?
>>89944471
Average stuff, watching/reading, learning languages, internets,torrents. But now i quit the job and want to learn how2code while changing OS for all round improvement reasons.
>>
>>89944534
for embedded, old systems and mobile platforms it pretty much does, yes. Not to mention HDD's.
Also its kinda convenient if you want to use your own libraries.
>>
>>89944585
>Average stuff, watching/reading, learning languages, internets,torrents.
Doesnt seem like you need specific proprietary software. Then you wont be needing wine emulation, which makes things super easy.

Just find your favorite open source software stack and enjoy it.
>>
god thats so fucking stupid. it doesnt even make any sense. when i direct the config to ~/.mpdscribble it works, but when its in /etc/ it doesnt work. thats the stupidest thing i have ever seen in my entire life.
>>
>>89944646
one is in root filesystem, another is in home directory. No idea what you are using but does it need write permissions?
>>
>>89944505
i intentionally didn't mention what i'm using the OS for because i just want to hear people list the general negatives of the OS that i might not hear elsewhere.
>>
>>89944585
>alternatives
Github, Gitlab
>>
File: file.png (253 KB, 1440x900)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
>>89944669
the problem is that the daemon doesnt start which is the stupidest thing because i override the config with the command
mpdscribble --conf /home/s6fty/.mpdscribble/mpdscribble.conf
but when i try to do it with
mpdscribble -D
 it works?? thats so fucking stupid
>>
File: 1665416784387584.jpg (117 KB, 960x540)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>89944636
>>89944716
Could you suggest place where i can look for stacks? Sorry for being a bother, i am really inept despite being this old
>>
>>89944843
well as i said if it starts under user and it needs write permissions otherwise it chimps out then it might have issues with config file being in /etc/
>>
File: 1604785838329.jpg (34 KB, 337x418)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>89939671
I need fucking help. UFW decided to behave ultra retarded. Let me explain:
>Install UFW a couple days ago
>Allow SMB
>A few days after I notice I almost ran out of space in my main disk.
>Check what is going on.
>The /var/log folder is fucking massive
>UFW has generated over 30GB of logs
I already fucking disable UFW. How the fuck did this happen? I did check the logs files and most of them contain the message
Nov 24 11:40:17 Anon kernel: [   26.725542] [UFW AUDIT] IN= OUT=wlan0 SRC=10.226.158.100 DST=10.226.159.255 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=6704 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=137 DPT=137 LEN=58
Nov 24 11:40:17 Anon kernel: [ 26.725553] [UFW ALLOW] IN= OUT=wlan0 SRC=10.226.158.100 DST=10.226.159.255 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=6704 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=137 DPT=137 LEN=58
Nov 24 11:40:17 Anon kernel: [ 26.725571] [UFW AUDIT] IN=wlan0 OUT= MAC= SRC=10.226.158.100 DST=10.226.159.255 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=6704 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=137 DPT=137 LEN=58
Nov 24 11:40:18 Anon kernel: [ 27.704877] [UFW AUDIT] IN= OUT=lokitun0 SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:65e5:5448:de01:befe DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0002 LEN=48 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=255 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=ICMPv6 TYPE=133 CODE=0

This is from today.
I tried checking that IP address for both the source and the destination but no luck. The thing that confuse me is that the source wasn't my address but someone else. Any ideas?
>>
File: 1638836858300.png (1.15 MB, 2048x1676)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
Sisters I cannot get gdm to open gnome using wayland. nvidia, kms enabled, disabled udev rule. The option doesn't even show up in gdm and I'm getting angery!!1
>>
File: 1669330247402.jpg (80 KB, 800x450)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>89944876
>stacks
>>
has anyone here tried dwm
seems to have much better floating window support than i3, and just generally more layouts. But I'm wary that its fans might be over-represented and overzealous in praising it since its one of those suckless apps. Has anyone here tried it? How was it?
>>
>>89944887
Something to consider is that I was also testing lokinet that same day. I made thread a day ago asking for help because lokinet couldn't run. For reference >>89930557.
The thing is that I only run loki just for a few minutes and the thing didn't even start. I made sure to kill the service manually with systemctl. So how is fucking possible that it continues to generate logs? Could that be the issue?
>>
>>89944876
by stack i mean just a list of programs that you use. Just try different programs and use the ones that you like the most.

And if you want a list of programs: most of distributions have their own wiki's where you can just search for specific types of the programs and they will tell you if they have them in their repositories. You can also just google them and if they arent in repositories you can download appimages(or whatever) or compile them from the source code.
>>
>>89944931
havent used it much and it felt slightly buggy but it does work, i can tell as much.
>>
>>89944918
have sex with me
>>
File: 1669327111938708.gif (63 KB, 359x359)
63 KB
63 KB GIF
>>89944923
>>89944944
time to kms, thank you for help
>>
>>89944937
>I made sure to kill the service manually with systemctl. So how is fucking possible that it continues to generate logs?
It seems like a stretch, but maybe the logs are generated by iptables? I mean ultimately ufw just generates its own rule chains in iptables, then the kernel dispatches the packets and presumably signals in some way for logging. I used UFW for a bit but ditched it because its autogenerated iptables rules are hard to audit, so I don't really know what happens to your rules if you stop the service. Take a look at the output of
 iptables -L -v 
?
>>
I've installed gentoo a few times but I wanted to do a fresh install on a laptop and got cucked by an error I've never seen before. I don't know what to do.
ERROR: Connector.connect_url(); Failed to update the mirror list from: https://api.gentoo.org/mirrors/distfiles.xml
SSLError was:HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.gentoo.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /mirrors/distfiles.xml (Caused by SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1001)')))
>>
>>89945001
why havent you used it much?
>>
>>89945166
machine i want to use it with isnt fixed yet.
>>
File: 1451480768617.png (67 KB, 288x288)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>89945173
oh
report in after
>>
>>89945161
>Failed to update the mirror list from: https://api.gentoo.org/mirrors/distfiles.xml
>SSLError
pretty obvious you got an SSL error here.
Why you got an ssl error? No fucking idea. I dont know if you need to manually update SSL for whatever program you are using(that would be pretty retarded if thats the case) or the server crapped his pants or whatever the fuck. See if you can supply mirror list manually to that thing.
>>
>>89944505
>>89944321
to clarify, i'm like 99% sure i want fedora just because it suits what i want to do for sure software-wise and i don't have an entire evening to run through the arch wiki, i just want to get my feet wet right now with a relatively easy to install OS. i have actually tried puppy linux years ago so i at least know what it's like to have a quick and convenient linux distro but of course puppy linux does not work for anything professional. so if there's nothing massively wrong with fedora that most people don't know about then i will just install it right now
>>
>>89945278
ive only used fedora in the university computer room ten years ago, it seemed fine
godspeed anon
>>
>>89945278
well you can always reinstall later. The only thing i can remember about fedora is that they dropped h264 and h265 codecs cause of some licensing bullshit. Other than that i cant tell much.
>>
>>89944878
i edited the service which had user as mpdscribble, in the config file it was already uncommented but it didnt overwrite so its currently working. i will probably send this to github page if someone has this error too. thank you for reading and trying to help.
[Service]
Type=notify
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpdscribble --no-daemon
User=s6fty
>>
>>89945349
>>89945352
ty
>>
>>89945027
fine
>>
>>89945222
Its just the gentoo minimal cd I've never experienced this issue.
>>
What wireless headphone manufacturers have the best compatibility with GNU/Linux? I was looking at buying a pair of Sennheisers during black friday, but they seem to require either Windows or some smartphone for basic functionality and software updates. I want to avoid anything with "smart" features locked in some app that you can't run in 5 years.
>>
>>89945494
now you'll have to use maximal cd lmoa

but as ive said, the thingie cant connect to server to get mirror list because SSL shat the bed for some reason

captcha:XP8A8
>>
>>89945528
a buddy of mine did a DIY bluetooth adapter for your average 3.5 mm jack headphones. If you gonna go nerd, go full nerd.
>>
>>89945494
ive never done anything gentoo so i dont even know what binary you're running, but this ssl stuff can probably be made more verbose by setting an environment variable ("export SSL_VERBOSE" for a totally made up example). could help you figure out where it's going wrong exactly, if you can google what library is responsible for this and how to make it verbose
>>
>>89944937
lokinet when installed via debian packages will create a systemd service running lokinet in the background.
to disable the daemon:
sudo systemctl stop lokinet
sudo systemctl disable lokinet
>>
>>89945151
Seems that may could be somewhat true. I found this
Chain ufw-before-logging-forward (1 references)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

Chain ufw-before-logging-input (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-logging-output (1 references)

Still I feel that this issue issue due to loki. UFW was just simply blocking the connections.
>>89945700
I see probably that was the issue. My shit was still enable, so I guess I will just disable it or just create a rule for the ufw. Thanks anon.
>>
>>89943302
bump
by the way, is there a shortcut to making codeblocks like there is for spoilers? writing it every time sucks.
>>
File: 1650128053905.png (4 KB, 148x159)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
why does this happen and how do i fix it..
>pcmanfm
>>
File: GTK bug.jpg (89 KB, 957x524)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>89946099
Most accurate answer I could find.
>>
>>89946099
you're talking about the fonts right? i just tried to reproduce this and it only seems to happen in certain folders. when you click the folder a blue box highlights the text. inside some folders its large enough, but in others its too small to entirely contain the low-hanging letters.

i'd blame that amish looking french faggot he probably decided we didn't need g's or q's
>>
>>89939671
I want to spank Lain so hard bros.
>>
File: 1660768753054.png (33 KB, 666x1258)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>89946463
reeeeeeeeeeee
>>
File: lmoa.png (2 KB, 162x34)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>89946892
>>89946463
eheheheh eat shit losers
>>
>>89941462
>Ubuntu still works, you know.
You think I'd use a custom distro if I wanted to use Ubuntu?
>>
Went from Zen+ to Zen4 and steamvr doesn't even want to recognize the vr headset. Why must it be this way, I am quite literally in the same drive fuck me fuck fuck fuck
How has your day been doing?
>>
>>89947207
>How has your day been doing?
My tooth hurts and i have work tomorrow. Otherwise pretty ok.
>>
>>89946099
>>89946892
If you think that's bad try having a file with an underscore _ in the name
>>
Slowpoke here, can't believe Arch has a braindead installer now.
Before I hop to arch btw, anything I should be wary off? Only used two distros (Ubuntu and Manjaro) in around 6 years now, might be the final hop
>>
>>89947917
Archinstall has very much matured over the two years or so that it's existed but I still personally like using EndeavourOS to automatically install/setup Arch.
>>
>>89948012
Honestly wouldn't mind another Arch derivative given that I used M*njaro for so long.
Any advantages in Endeavour over Arch? It's quite popular in distrowatch.
>>
>>89948099
Unlike Manjaro it's actually pure Arch instead of using it as a base for their own nonsense. It's basically a fork of Antergos after that stopped getting developed years ago.
>>
>>89948137
Almost went Antergos back then but didn't because of that very reason.
I don't think it was as popular as Endeavour is today. So longevity might be guaranteed.

What I'll do is use Arch on the shitlaptop and Endeavour on the desktop. Surely that will result in less headaches.
>>
>>89945558
>>89945648
I fixed it by adjusting my date. I guess after I librebooted the thinkpad the date went way out of wack since it was two years and one month into the future. Your suggestions were interesting anons thank you.
>>
>>89948233
At least with Antergos it's not like everyone's computers just stopped working. It just over time converted itself into a normal Arch install.
But yeah Endeavour was created by fans of it that wanted it to continue, but they wanted to make it bigger and better. Which personally I think they've done a great job with.
>>
after three days i have finished compiling chromium
now to install a desktop
>>
>>89948276
Big if true
>>
>>89948448
ughh fine i'll get the phone
>>
File: PXL_20221125_030829585.MP.jpg (830 KB, 1944x2592)
830 KB
830 KB JPG
>>89948276
>>89948448
>>
>>89948501
Absolutely degenerate
Have fun anon!
>>
>>89948501
what a waste of time and electricity
>>
>>89948547
it's a spare computer and i'm not paying for power so
>>
>>89948276
going for kde, saw some neat stuff in desktop threads with it
>>
>>89948626
Hahahahahaha
>>
>>89948626
It's a nice and clean DE with lots of features that's similar in look to Windows 10's shell. You'll probably like it.
>>
>>89948668
damn i'm a 7 user so idk
>>
File: 1659522790275.png (63 KB, 1557x620)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>89948501
>>89948276
you could've just installed a binary retard
>>
>>89948690
don't care, i want my marginal performance improvements
>>
>>89948695
>finish compiling
>2 security updates behind
nothing personnel
>>
File: file.png (4 KB, 205x44)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>89948707
nope still good
>>
>>89948695
Enjoy your 2011 incel shitleron processor I guess.
>>
>>89948745
will do :)
>>
>>89948690
>>89948695
Makes one ask why aren't there distros with binaries for every single CPU* out there.
You know like at the install stage the installer would detect your CPU and set the repositories to something like x86-ivybridge* and then you'd get optimized precompiled stuff directly from the repo without any extra hassle.
*or more like families of CPUs by their capabilities
>>
>>89948759
interesting idea, i like it
>>
>>89948759
Funtoo actually has something like this. Never really looked into it though.
>>
>>89948775
Funtoo has it for their stage3 tarballs, other than that it's source based.
>>89948771
Idea isn't that far off from having 32/64bit repos along with aarch64 and other ARM based stuff. Or Debian with their gorillions of ports.
>>
>>89948256
Tried archinstall and it failed twice on the laptop. Very sad, so going for Endeavour on both.
So far a great first impression, very satisfied with how everything just werks
>>
>>89948907
Yeah, even though archinstall has matured since it's inception it can still be a bit annoying when it comes to small things not working correctly. Endeavour is pure just werks.
>>
Perhaps not Linux per say but does anyone know how to get passive bots working with Hexchat XDCC?
>>
Anyone got a good yt-dlp command for fully archiving an entire Youtube channel with organized directories, thumbnails, description thumbnail etc. Basically to preserve everything on the channel. Thanks
>>
Is VirtualBox still the go to VM for Windows or is it worth figuring out something else? I need to do some reformatting before I can do a full install and just want something to test configs in before I have time to go for a full install.
>>
>>89949646
VirtualBox 7 is pretty damn nice. Lots of QoL improvements from 6.
>>
>>89948775
Arch has this too.

Personally I don't see the point of this on a source based distribution when you're going to re-compile the whole @world anyway.
>>
>>89939671
You just know...
>>
>>89949753
penguin is just a penguin it has no interest in the girl
>>
>>89949823
>even better
>>
Made for BPC (Big Penguin Cock)
>>
File: cirno hugs penguin.png (471 KB, 778x962)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
>>89949753
>>89949906
>>
>>89949659
Thanks anon. That's good to know. I haven't used it in probably 10 years due to not needing VMs on personal systems and having HyperV or VMWare licenses when I've needed VMs for school.
>>
>>89939969
you need a plumber to fix your shit, we learn to plumb. verstehen?
>>
>>89944187
It is a based idea though there isn't much need for it

https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/definition/
>>
>>89950659
Are you saying there's not much need for reproducible builds?
>>
>>89950696
Apparently not. We just trust the repositories
>>
I'm using Linux Mint and my GPU started coughing out Artifacts.

Is this because I'm just using the open source drivers? Do I need to use AMD's Catalyst 15.9 from 2015 for my old HD 6570?
>>
>>89950708
I use Gentoo, so it's less relevant there because there's not so much binaries involved (except for bootstrapping, where it is kind of important to be able to verify the binaries you're using.)

Reproducible builds are needed if you ever want to be able to verify that the binary you built is the same as the binary you would have gotten from the repository.
>>
>>89950731
True, Gentoo is the other way around this issue. You are making your own builds then.
>>
>>89950741
You still ideally want to be able to verify the binaries used for bootstrapping though. This is difficult in some cases.
If you build go or Java, it's going to pull in some binaries from somewhere because you need those binaries first in order to be able to build the thing for the first time.

>Where do those binaries come from?
>How do I know I can trust them?

Now, I'm not for one moment suggesting the Gentoo developers are malicious (they're not), but the issue is still there to some degree.
>>
>>89950007
Yeah, it's unattended installer makes installing Windows 10/11 VMs completely seamless.
>>
>>89950720
>>Is this because I'm just using the open source drivers?
no, artifacts are because your hardware is dying.
>>
>>89947207
i have a 7700x and it works for me with a vive
>>
File: tkgplv5hdw161.png (621 KB, 640x1138)
621 KB
621 KB PNG
>>89950970
That happened yesterday. It's gone now. I'm just wondering maybe because linux drivers are not that efficient, that it might slowly kill your pc components.
>>
>>89951146
Drivers won't kill your hardware like that. They can cause artifacts though.
>My 6700XT gets sporadic GPU artificats on Windows 11, no such issues on Linux.
>>
>>89951146
assuming you're not trying to bait (if you are, do better), then no, that's now how that works. if you have hardware that's slowly starting to become senile then intermittent failures like that are what you'll see no matter what OS you use it on.

Historically, "artifacts" (ie flashing weird-colored triangles everywhere) means the GPU is dying, and "snow" (a bunch of dots on your screen, sort of like VHS static) means a problem with graphics memory. idk if you're using amdgpu or radeon, if you can try lowering the clocks and or power limit to see if it goes away, flaky hardware is often fine if you run it at a lower speed
>>
File: 2022-11-25_11-17.png (2 KB, 131x54)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
When I run i3 and keepass, sometimes keepass creates this small icon in the bottom left that blocks the workspace buttons. Has anyone here encountered this problem?
>>
>>89952009
also, I have a normal system icon tray on the right
its only keepass showing up on the left for some reason
>>
>>89952009
that's the box you keep ass in
sorry
>>
>>89944585
Oh, buddy! You're gonna have a good one! You should just download Debian and have a blast at the package repositories

Some cool packages to consider are:
Content creation stuff:
*GIMP
*Blender
*Krita
*inkscape
Desktop Environments:
*XFCE
*KDE
*Awesome WM
*LXDE
*Cinnamon
Coding stuff:
*Emacs
*Bluefish
*Ncurses
*Dialog
*Zenity
*The Apache webserver
Cool stuff:
*Xaos (Fractal Zoomer)
*xscreensaver
>>
Is there any standalone WM that looks and works similar to old GNOME and KDE (GNOME 1.x and KDE 1 and 2) environments?
>>
>>89952214
Windowmaker is the closest to that sort of look and feel
>>
>>89940197
Strawberry i think can scrobble. Lollypop if you want GTK and Elisa if you want QT
>>
>>89940918
Clementine is deprecated. Use strawberry
>>
brothers, strawberry is generally fine, but i cant see the kpop queens twerking when i use it
>>
How do I escape from KDE's convenience and switch back to a normal WM?
KDE is just comfy because of all the things it does for you out of the box and also because I won't have to worry about Wayland dominating some day and having to switch to another WM anymore.
>>
File: 1668718008819.jpg (83 KB, 480x679)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Is there a way to skip the framebuffer console at boot time somehow?
>system boots, monitor refresh rate is set to 60Hz by default
>startx with just the 'exec [window manager]' line causes X and the window manager to start instantly
>setting the refresh rate to 144Hz in the .xinitrc makes the screen go black for 2 or 3 seconds
I know the framebuffer is limited to 75Hz(?), but I was wondering if there's a way to somehow boot Linux with the maximum refresh rate your monitor allows.
>>
What happens to cron jobs that are not executed because the system is powered off?
For example I have a job that runs on 1st of every month but I don't have my computer on on the 1st and I turn it on the 2nd. Will the job run as soon as I turn my pc on or will it run on the 1st of next month and skip this one?
>>
I'm trying out VR. Beat Saber works fine for the most part, but the audio sounds a bit off, like the song is playing inside a club and im outside. Don't see any similar reports in protonDB so it might be something more related to my VR setup, any ideas?
I just use pulseaudio with pavucontrol and it sounds fine outside VR. I did change the sink to output to the vive
>>
>>89947161
I think that you're missing out on lots the fun because of all these limitations you impose on yourself.

>>89948551
>I don't pay for something
>therefore it can't be wasted
t. retard
>>
>>89952214
I know you asked for a WM but I think XFCE comes the closest to what you want.
>>
>install kde momentarily to fix cursor theme bug in random qt programs
>remove and eradicate all packages and kde configuration files
>now everything uses qt file picker and i can't change it back no matter what i do
please help me cure this HIV i have caught
there are rounded corners on my desktop against my will
>>
>>89952964
Depends on your Cron implementation, traditional Cron doesn't keep a record so it can miss events as it just follows the crontab.
Consider using systemd.
>>
I accidentally lost some files by derp deletion and finally sat down to tackling vc of my files.

To do this, I first have to understand how it could be done. I know already that some people do it with a git only with $HOME working dir, but I think I will opt for GNU Stow because I'd like to have two farms: one for 'safe' dotfiles vc'd to a server and another one for confidential stuff like the irssi config that has my irc server password in plain text. I'd like to vc that second pool into backup storage like a removable drive.

Asking preemptively, as I am yet to sit down with the Stow manual: does this sound sensible? Do you guys see any immediate problems with such setup?
>>
>>89953207
>completely remove every last qt and qt5 related packages and any applications that use qt from system
>qt file picker still opens
i'm gonna lose my fucking mind
>>
People talk about making their own Arch install scripts. I am in the process of doing the same, however I have one question: What are the best ways to package the install script with the installer? It's easy enough to have my scripts and dotfiles and /etc files separate on another flash drive, but I'd like to bundle them with the install .iso.
>>
>>89953322
I'd make it a rootfs tarball with everything in it and then script something to make the UEFI boot entries and shiet.
>>
What does this mean? Neither my speakers nor the headphone jack works, they worked perfectly fine a few days ago
>>
>>89953454
your audio daemon wasnt able to find or get control of your audio hardware
last time I had this problem it was because another process (viber) had taken the handles before pulseaudio could get to them
>>
>>89953454
>>89953597
as for how to diagnose and fix, do
fuser -v /dev/snd/*

if the "command" column has a process that isn't your audio daemon, thats your culprit; kill him and the restart the audio daemon (e.g. pulseaudio -k)
>>
>>89952964
dcron and fcron support asynchronous cronjobs, as well as basically every cron implementation that implements anacron.
do not even think about using systemd.
>>
>>89952964
systemd timers give you full control over these details. They're also much easier to set up for nontrivial use cases.
>>
>>89954145
>>89954255
systemd or no systemd?
>>
I just got a new PC, and I dropped my old PC's SSD into it. For some reason it didn't find my bootloader, but after fixing that my old Linux distro install just worked. I wouldn't have tried it if I hadn't read that it would probably work, but I'm still in awe of the fact that it's even possible, because I'm so used to Windows being a bitch.
>>
>>89954427
If you already have Systemd then use systemd-cron which is a cron implementation that generates timers from your cron jobs.
>>
>>89954469
Windows *artificially* limits what you described doing.
>>
With a file like this
Bob
++begin
bob contents
--end

Alice
++begin
alice contents
--end

I want to say 'Alice' and get
++begin
alice contents
--end

entry=Alice
awk -v pat="^$entry\$" '$0 ~ pat'
awk '/++begin/,/^--end$/'

The first awk will regex-match for Alice line.
The second will print all ++begin--end blocks.

How do I make it first look for Alice and then match her the block?
>>
>>89940197
audacious for gui, or mpv in terminal for cli
>>
I'm installing Nobara on the suggestion of another anon here.
Last time I tried Linux (Mint), things didn't work well with Nvidia Drivers. Nobara I hear comes with all the tweaks and fixes for preinstalled.

And I'm also trying to properly dual boot this time so I can use Windows as a safety net if needs be.
>>
>>89955052
Nobara was made with gaming readiness in mind so you should be good. It also comes with some exclusive tweaks/changes to the kernel that other distros don't have for better game performance.
>>
welp looks like im going to be buying an AMD card as my next GPU
there is no reason a GTX 1070 system should be rendered unbootable by the proprietary drivers
>just use nouveau
i would if it had hardware acceleration for 3d graphics
>>
>>89955820
NVIDIA fucked up and made drivers past 512.95 stupidly buggy on 10xx and 9xx series cards.
>>
>>89955846
and this combined with that leaked earnings call whewre jensen admits to manipulating the market to keep prices high is pushing me right into AMD's arms
>>
>>89934624
Destination host unreachable
>>
my computer currently has a 2TB SATA SSD and I ordered a 2TB NVME SSD. How should I go about cloning my SATA SSD to the NVME SSD so it's identical and I can make it my new primary SSD? After cloning and booting into it to ensure it's working, I intend to reformat the SATA drive and use it for media and backups.
>>
>>89955953
you dont just start over
>>
I want to learn about gnu/linux and bash scripting. I find that having a project or objective is the best way to learn. Is there a site with suggestions for projects like that?
If i had to learn programming i can have some ideas, but to learn gnu/linux, i have no idea what project i can do. I was thinking LFS but id like something a bit smaller in scale.
>>
>>89939671
about to format pc.
Linux mint or Ubuntu?
I usualle go with Mint because I thought it had better drivers and compatibility but I don't know.
don't matter about desktop, it will be XFCE no matter what
>>
Whoever recommended Nobara to me, hats off to you. It's working perectly so far.
>>
>>89956254
every time i tried to install ubuntu on multiple computers over the past 5 years, it never went well. There was always something broken out of the box without an easy fix. most recently, it was with my network adapter. Try mint tho i havent used it
>>
>>89956260
I'd say it's pretty much the best version of Fedora you could be using. Happy gaming anon-chan.
>>
Any arch bro knows why kerbal space program doesn't launch anymore on steam ?
>>
File: 1638973959531.png (46 KB, 565x698)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
i install gentoo
why my GIMP look like this
>>
>>89953597
>>89953620
thanks. turns out my sound card is fried
>>
>try to play an mp4 video
>computer crashes
Thanks Linux.
>>
File: single board computers.jpg (135 KB, 1207x557)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>89956527
sounds like picrel
>>
>>89954850
I solved it myself, although I wonder if there's a cleaner way to do it.

Here's a reference for those interested. Can be called with any of the list entry names: Alice/Bob/Tim:

#!/bin/sh

entry="$1"
cat <<'EOF' | awk -v pat="^$entry\$" '/^\+\+begin$/ { if(prevline ~ pat) { f = 1 } } f; /^--end$/ { f = 0 }; { prevline = $0 }'
Bob
++begin
bob contents
--end

Alice
++begin
alice contents
--end

Tim
++begin
tim contents
--end

# some other stuff
# and some more
EOF

Note: escaping special characters in the awk pattern search which otherwise considers them to be ERE symbols.
>>
>>89956527
thanks *Obama
>>
>>89955897
im asuming my issue is dead and no one can help me anymore.
how do i distro hop without bloating my "select boot" menu?
>>
Currently on ubuntu and I am planning on moving operating systems, but I'm not sure which to choose.

Should I choose an FSF approved distro (i'm thinking guix) or switch to Fedora?

I liek de software freedumbz so it's a hard choice.
>>
>>89957720
Fedora, Trisquel, Parabola. Take your pick.
>>
>>89957720
FSF approval is a psyop intended to keep hardcore freetards from demanding auditable hardware. Omitting firmware files from your OS in no way enhances your freedumbs.
>>
I am very new to Linux
How to get picrel data on it? I installed this thing called "Arch Linux" and it uses "6.0.8-arch" kernel.
I asked google about it and it suggested to use "CPU-X", I spent 15 minutes to build dependencies for dependencies and then build this thing only to find out that I'm indeed using 2x8 DDR4 ram sticks at 3200mhz, no more info given. I am a bit disappointed because I got even more info from console than this thing provides at the start of my journey. And it even failed to properly identify my Ryzen R5 CPU.
And how do I cope with all of this dependency-spyware? It feels like Linux gets bloated even faster than Windows.
>>
>>89956393
That is what GIMP looks like? I fail to see the problem.
>>
>>89956931
nice.
I too had an awk question

echo "a b c" | awk -F '  '  '{print $NF}'

outputs what I wanted, the last field, c. But then I wanted to understand {print $NF} to optimize the command
How come
echo "a b c" | awk -F '  '  '3'
outputs "a b c" instead of "c" ?
In man awk, NF is supposed to be the fields count...
I don't know how to debug this... bash -x doesn't work here, and I can't put a breakpoint inside a pipe...
>>
File: 1642715009876.png (165 KB, 425x338)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>FSF approval is a psyop intended to keep hardcore freetards from demanding auditable hardware. Omitting firmware files from your OS in no way enhances your freedumbs.
>>
>>89957950
Shouldn't it be:
echo "a b c" | awk -F ' '  '{print $3}'

Or is omitting the print statement on purpose?
>>
>>89958030
I was just trying this!
But the output is "3" instead of "c"
>>
How do I upgrade from Debian 9 to 11? Would upgrading straight to Sid be easier?
>>
>>89958030
Sorry, you nailed it. My brain fried for a second. (I might update with why it fried later, because I'm autistic)
But why it does work was indeed (I deleted),
>https://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/gawk.html#Fields
>You use a dollar sign (‘$’) to refer to a field in an awk program, followed by the number of the field you want.
>>
free RAM : I read that the figure that mattered was "available" memory.
for conky : free -m | grep Mem | awk '{print $7}'
>>
>>89958308
*NOT for conky but for Cinnamon 3d party "Command result desklet"
>>
...started to build a new machine, decided to swtich to linux because win10 has no future and win11 will never be a option because of obivious reasons i dont need to explain in detail.

i am looking for an OS that ...

-is stable and fast!!
-is easy to use!! ...i dont mind to invest time to set it up, but once its done, least as possible hustle!!
-is not bloated (it will be used as a grafics/dev workstation, blender, krita, gimp, stable diffusion, python/c programming, web browser, some utils, thats it)
-supports wacom tablets - the resposiveness should be tweakable
-supports nvidia gpu's, no hustle here either! should be able to overclock and regulate the fanspeed manually
-must be able to overclock the cpu, on demand, when its needed (no reboot and stuff)
-slim and simplistic but stylish window manager ... usability > fancy gimmicks ..everyting i need one click away!
-hibernate should work without hustle
-has a good deocumentation
-can use it as long as possible without reinstalling it
-updating from one version to the next one should be easy to use and save!!

...thx for any recommondations o7
>>
File: stallmantexas.jpg (70 KB, 783x296)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>
>>89958544
I recommend Gentoo
>>
File: 2022-11-25_21-00.png (4 KB, 228x28)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
I am trying to install some drivers but the sh script is giving me errors on a header file.I think the problem is that it cant find spinlock but I dont understand why isnt it part of the linux kernel?
>>
>>89958603
He's talking about that time he got cancelled, isn't he?
>>
>>89958745
linux-headers is usually a separate package
>>
>>89957977
Great point agent, I never thought of it like that.
>>
>>89958603
based kiddyfiddler
>>
>>89943481
What FPGA / dev board?
>>
>>89957938
the tool icons are all fuck huge
>>
>>89958196
Nevermind. I realized I was on Debian GNU kfreebsd. There is no updating not even to sid.
>>
>>89956393
Just go to Edit > Preferences, click Interface > Icon Theme, and you can change the size (and also set colored icons if you want.
Also look under Toolbox and uncheck "use tool groups" if you prefer
>>
File: 2022-11-25_21-21.png (58 KB, 329x561)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>89958837
any idea which I am installing the driver for some nameless wifi adapater
>>
How do I get pandoc to render greek charachters in md to pdf conversion? Ι keep looking and looking and I can not seem to get it to work.
>>
>>89958611

... when its set up, how much hustle is involved to keep it up to date? when everything needs to be compiled, how much does it takes on the average? can i save my current scession(the running applications, open files, browsertabs ... everything i have currently active, update and keep on working on it like nothing happens?
>>
>>89959211
not much, not long, yes
>>
>>89959112
On Fedora it tells me to run pandoc --pdf-engine=xelatex and that works.
>>
>>89958544
in my experience with wacom: it's gonna work on every linux out of the box, but if you use multiple monitors be sure you're using Xorg as graphic display, or you'll be fucked with configuring it, also Gnome 4.0 I think has GUI configuration for wacom, if you go for other DE, search for Brodie's video setting it up
I recommend using Debian 11.5 with KDE, it is the most safe option, if you want a less bloated option try xfce if you don't mind the aesthetics (it's fast)
about the nvidia... do some research, it's complicated
>>
Can anyone recommend a good certification with free learning material for Linux?
>>
>>89959408
But I get shit like
[WARNING] Missing character: There is no ύ (U+03CD) (U+03CD) in font [lmroman10-regular]:mapping=t
>>
I have a Z690 LGA1700 Asus TUF board that I want to update the BIOS on so I can run a 13900K. Is this possible on a Linux system? The only thing I found on their website is some .exe file

If this board actually requires Windows to update the BIOS, can anyone recommend a MoBo manufacturer that doesn't require Windows for BIOS updates?
>>
File: Libgen_logo.svg.png (36 KB, 852x1200)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>89959413
all dem shits free nigga
>>
brand new linux user -- what's the best way to go about running programs that don't offer native support for linux? I'm primarily concerned about drawing/design software
>>
>>89959499

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/
>>
>>89959637
Lutris and Bottles are your friends.
>>
File: XD.jpg (23 KB, 480x269)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I'm trying to enter 2 exits with one command on bash, but everytime I execute the first one my shell closes
>>
>>89939671
Explain to me the difference between OpenMandriva and Mageia, and why both of those 2 distros exist at the same time.
>>
why is realtek so shit, nothing works. how do I make bluetooth work? I have made a poor purchase
>>
>>89959727
Closed source firmware be closed source firmware
>>
>>89959499
On that particular board it looks like they want you to update some Intel proprietary firmwares before the BIOS, so you're probably going to have to make a FreeDOS boot disk to install that.

Nobody makes motherboards that require Windows to do BIOS updates.
>>
>>89959112
never mind
used a converter from the internet
>>
Is there any way to make grep ignore diacritics? For example grep "foo bar" would find fòó bář.
>>
File: void.png (117 KB, 1200x675)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
i'm tired of Arch and want to try something that updates less often, the only programs i care to keep up to date are the browser, and GHC / emacs anyway so i can do it manually

what you recommend? is Void Linux any good and still alive?
>>
>>89959753
>make a FreeDOS boot disk to install that.
>Nobody makes motherboards that require Windows to do BIOS updates.
I did not realize FreeDOS could run an exe file like this. The Asus guide showed Windows being used, so I assumed the exe required Windows. But you are saying it will work on FreeDOS, so I will give it a try. Thanks
>>
>>89959604
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>89940021
>Manjaro
>Update steam

1080ti, 64gaymen to ram and a 5800x. About 10% better FPS, much more stable rates too across several games. X4 being my fav.
>>
File: ESdvsxrXcAE4qY3.jpg (297 KB, 1000x1600)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
I want to put windows 7 + Arch on a laptop.
>windows 7 mostly for games that wine can't do because no vulkan
I'm thinking it like this:
>20GB partition Windows 7
>30GB Arch /
>200GB (rest) exFAT

I want to keep all my games on the 200GB drive, most of them will play under windows,
but I would still play some games on linux and have them stored on the exfat, also general shared files like music,movies etc
this should work right?
>>
I've enjoyed both GNOME and KDE for the most part (even xfce for potato laptops) so I'm wondering what are the mains pros and cons of using one over the other.
Stuff like multi-monitor with different refreshes, how qt works vs gtk and vice-versa, compositors, gaymen performance, etc.
I don't give a fuck about the filepicker, just looking for some confirmation while I try both, waiting for new computer parts.
>>
>>89960583
Unless you're using the absolute latest GNOME, Kwin has Variably refresh rate support for different monitors with different refresh rates.
>>
>>89959692
Of course. What do you expect to happen?
>>
File: 20min.png (8 KB, 529x73)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>89939671
Why all of the FREE TM community can't make a competent usb Image writer?
Every time I need a USB stick with Winblows I have to go trough 6-7 random programs till I get one that actually works.
I have been waiting for 30 minutes after it took like 20 for it to write and verify the image. Over an hour and nothing.
>>
>>89960608
Surely Gnome's manager doesn't have that issue still? Currently have two 60Hz, one 120Hz TV, and a 144Hz main monitor.
>>
>>89960005
In theory yes, although I highly advise trying to set up the dual boot in a VM before going bare metal, and (obviously) backing up all your data in you're already using that laptop.
I've seen enough dual boot fuck-ups on /g/ to be cautious about it
(touching wood about my own setup)
>>
>>89961391
what does dd lack that makes it unsuitable for your usecase?
>>
>>89961391
https://github.com/unetbootin/unetbootin
here it is, never failed me in my windows years
>>
>>89961391
Ventoy works for anything.
>>
Does anyone know how to enable tab support on busybox ed.
>>
does the CPU bypass the set cpu governor in case of throttle due to high temps? like if i have it set to "performance" will it still downclock or will it stay at max freq no matter what?
>>
>>89952728
i dont see how KDE is different from all other windows xp like DE's aside of filepickers. Its not a tiling WM, programs that it uses can be installed in other DE's, what does it even do differently?
>>
>>89939671
best command line dictionary for loonix?
>>
>>89952824
i remember you can set up custom default resolution in grub (i think?) config file. Maybe you can also do refresh rate.
>>
Questions about Latte Dock:
1. Is it still actively developed? I can see that the main developer, psifidotos seems to have abandoned the project/Github. There are other contributors though.
2. Are there any worthwhile alternatives?

Looking at the Github I still see some changes being made but I don't know if it's anything significant. The last "release" apparently was 0.10.8 back in January.

Also fuck tranny jannies.

>>89960583
KDE has miles more customization and extension support, QT is generally considered to have more visual consistency between different applications.
Gaming performance differences should be extremely negligible on both. Wayland support is also pretty mature on both GNOME and KDE at this point.
GNOME had some issues with font rendering blurry under some situations a few months ago, not sure if they ever fixed that.
KDE developers aren't total asshat autists like GNOME so there's that too.
>>
>>89954427
not using basedstemd is a more ethical choice(even tho no always the most convenient... tho a lot if things can be simplified with scripts).
>>
I found an old working Nook from like 10 years ago. Is there custom firmware I can load to read manga on this?
>>
>>89953317
lmao
its over anon. reinstall windows

or reinstall entire DE
>>
>>89961967
Bump
>>
>>89954469
you can make a "puppy linux" like thumb drive install of any linux distro if you know how to make it so that random components and filesystem doesnt kill your thumb drive. There is an article on how to do it with arch on arch wiki.
>>
>>89955232
im curious about these tweaks
>>
>>89955820
>i would if it had hardware acceleration for 3d graphics

keep 1070 as second GPU for second monitor/stable diffusion meme
>>
>>89962339
Why would it need custom firmware ?
What format are your e-mangas in ?
Which edition on the Nook are we talking of ?
>>
>>89962428
https://nobaraproject.org/
>>
Thoughts on KDE Plasma?
>>
I'm trying to get a systemd user service that depends on a graphical environment to automatically run on boot.
I have a systemd unit with WantedBy=graphical-session.target and I have LightDM configured to autologin the user that owns the service but no luck.
Anyone know what I'm missing here?
>>
>>89955953
as long as they are exactly identical size(or nvme has a little bit more bytes) i guess you can try dd-ing one to another. After all thats how you burn ISO's on linux: you just copy ISO file into thumb drive "file".

Tho id recommend cloning partitions and not entire disk, cause bad things might happen.
>>
Wondering what the fuck I didn't do that the Valve Index could be recognized with Manjaro but now both a fresh install of that and EndeavourOS is spouting to connect the headset.
>>
>>89958901
Using a Xilinx VC707. I'm working on a custom rocketchip core, but I think I can generate a dtb file from the vanilla rocketchip generator.
>>
>>89962470
Still looking into it. Model is the BNRV300 which is the "Nook Simple Touch" from 2012?
>Why would it need custom firmware ?
I honestly have no idea if it does. I just assume that whatever is on it is abandonware atm, and I'm not sure it supported manga/comics well in the first place.
>>
>>89962339
Not well. In general there is custom firmware for many of the older Nooks, but anything <Aura HD does not have the minimum resolution required to make reading manga a pleasant experience
>>
>>89956130
You can start with DIY distributions like arch, gentoo and others. After you set them up you can start automating everyday stuff(hint: making a script that launches programs for you and then just closes itself and its terminal emulator window is harder than you'd expect).
>>
>>89956343
make sure its 32 bit. Also if you are using a native version you can find its binary file and launch it in terminal. If it allows you to launch a game like that there is going to be some output in the terminal that you can use to debug stuff.
>>
>>89956393
you have accidentally installed gomp instead of gimp. Be more careful next time
>>
>>89957842
>what is libreboot
>>
New thread: >>89962750
>>
>>89957843
you dont need any dumbass github memes to obtain hardware info on linux.

There are generally 2 ways you can do it:

first one is to use default console utilities (like lspci for example) or popular console utilities

second one is to directly cat your hardware info because the nice thing about "everything is a file" philosophy is that you literally only need a text editor in order to change/view system settings.

Here is for example how you can monitor AMD GPU using only watch and cat:

sudo watch -n 0.5 cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info

google each parameter separately, there is either a cat command or a tool that will help you get your data.
>>
>>89962230
>>89962500
It's comfy and practical. Supports fractional scaling, has great font rendering, has proper wirdgets and customizable notifications.
The killer feature for me is its clipboard manager which has no competition on any OS or desktop environment.
>>
>>89959692
you need to make second exit into a script and detach it from its parent(script that calls second exit) with nohup or something else. Tho beware, with terminal emulators stuff like that doesnt always work as intended and you sometimes have to create second terminal emulator window.
>>
>>89959838
regex perhaps?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20937864/how-to-do-an-accent-insensitive-grep
>>
>>89959853
centos/debian/some other bullshit
>>
>>89960005
id recommend starting with win7 installation because windows likes overwriting grub and because it likes being retarded with partitions in general.
>>
>>89961391
this is literally just windows

not a single other distro has this problem. If i want to write a linux(or any other) distro i can just do "sudo cat ./iso.iso /dev/sdwhateverthefuck" and it will just copy iso to the thumb drive. Windows however has to be special for some fucking reason.
>>
>>89962056
it should. Id be VERY surprised if it doesnt.
>>
>>89962474
oh they straight up have in on their home page. Based.
>>
>>89962536
what does service need to function? Just graphics?
>>
>>89963195
You don't need special tooling on windows either. You can just shit images to drives using \\.\PhysicalDrive paths.
Then again, winbabbies don't even understand their own OS.
>>
>>89956254
As someone that recently installed Xubuntu Jammy LTS on his laptop... i would go for Mint. Ubuntu is just carried by inertia at this point.
I picked Ubuntu to not have any compatibility issues with anything since it has become "the default desktop distro".
Well, i had some compatibility issues. Specifically, i've been unable to launch AppImages.
"install libfuse2"
Been there, done that : changed nothing.
>>89962599
The hardware is limiting, but there are apparently several custom Android ROMs for those things.
>>
>>89963391
>Appimage
You mean to say that a "universal" application format isn't compatible with the most popular Linux distro, and it somehow is the distros fault?!
Ubuntu has first class support for Snap and Flatpak, which are miles better than Appimage.
>>
>>89963566
>snap is better
Dumbass
Even statically linked musl shit is better than snaps
>>
File: Marsupilami_1.jpg (16 KB, 200x270)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Does anyone know how to create a shortcut for wine gaymes. Otherwise using cd-ing to the game's exe file is slooooow. Thank you whoever answers.
>>
>>89964215
i dont know if you need to use some custom command for wine(i dont really use wine by itself) but you can put that command in a script and just launch your script
>>
>>89963566
Not providing libfuse2 by default is plainly malicious. Fedora, SUSE, and Arch don't do this, and they run newer packages than Ubongo.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.