[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitled.jpg (63 KB, 800x526)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience?
Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
https://christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
https://learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
blind 75 or grind 75 on
https://neetcode.io/
https://blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
https://www.careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
https://levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
https://pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
https://www.youtube.com/c/ContinuousDelivery
https://www.youtube.com/c/EngineeringwithUtsav

>/twg/ IRC Channel
#/g/twg on irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#/g/twg

>Previous thread
>>89895906
>>
why software companies descriptions of themselves are always so empty and inflated? it turned to a joke over 10 years ago, why are they still doing it?
>>
Not sure why companies insist on not having days around a holiday off. No work gets done. Waste of time and resources. Would help with burnout too
>>
>>89920980
"Burnout" is not real.
>>
>>89921002
Nice contrarian opinion, here's your (you)
>>
Should I always start negotiations from the maximum of employer's declared salary range?
>>
>>89921072
What do you mean "start negotiations"? Is this after they've given you an initial offer, or are you talking way before that?
FYI: there are articles linked in the OP that are worth reading
>>
>>89921072
No. You should start from their maximum * 1.5
>>
File: gigachad.jpg (65 KB, 1068x601)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>89921072
>so what is your yearly expectation for this role?
>how much does the CEO make?
>about 350k
>you answered your own question
>>
File: cheetos.jpg (48 KB, 622x605)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Is it possible to get a hold of an Internship even as someone who graduated 6 months ago?
>>
>>89921072
You don't say a number and let the company make you an offer

read this link from the OP : https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
>>
>>89921132
>Sir we're hiring a diamond dozen front end dev not a CEO
>>
Why do seniors never respond to 2 minute questions on slack, useless faggots.
>>
>>89921166
Why would you want to?
Internships are for students. If you graduated just get a job???
>>
>>89921166
This general is for workers gtfo dumb neet
>>
>>89921311
>a diamond dozen
nice
>>
File: 1669224213175.png (74 KB, 342x320)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>holidays are coming up
>Code freeze coming up
>Everyone's putting in their requests now
I fucking hate banks
>>
>>89921338
Because your dumb question can be solved with a quick google search or reading the code stop bothering me to be spoonfed faggot
>>
>>89920980
I love this shit. Half my bosses are on vacation and the other half are goofing off because their bosses are on vacation.
I didn't even go to work today and I'm getting paid.
I do not have a remote job.
I just didn't show up.
>>
>>89920845
You don't want to make the world a better place and introduce a real change in the society through power of latest technology advances while maintaining proper work-life balance and care about the environment and sustainability?
>>
>>89921921
I actually do but no company actually does this.
>>
i'm finally in a union, boys

it's all gravy from here
>>
>>89920738
>Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience?
>Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
>https://christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
>https://learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
>Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...
Did anybody actually read these? This shit's cookie cutter advice.
>>
>>89921996
fucking teamster picket line muddafucker you
>>
>>89922012
t. malding middle management
>>
>>89921954
I do this and I say this
>>
>>89922005
The point is to get them to fuck off, not to actually help these subhumans.
>>
>>89921792
Ah yes questions about internal API’s can be resolved by a google search
>>
Is it possible to have a dev job that is both interesting and comfy?
In my current company there are basically two types of dev positions.
The ones who are fixing legacy code which is chill but super boring.
The other who are creating new legacy code which is more interesting but super stressful due to idiot managers constantly measuring every velocity metric just to compare you to a Chinese slave number 2847474.
I'm thinking about quitting.
>>
>>89922104
stop being a retard then faggot
>>
Can I say I don't give a fuck about a sport subscription or work laptop and just want to get more money instead?
>>
>>89922199
>Is it possible to have a dev job that is both interesting and comfy?
Move to a technologically underdeveloped area, get a sysadmin/helpdesk job at the local government, bitch at your supervisor until you're given API access to whatever software stack they're using, first automate all your normal workload which will amount for 90% of your work (the other 10% are real complex problems that cant really be automated), then spend that freed up 90% workload into fucking around making random helpful-but-pointless inhouse stuff or automate stuff for other departments. That's basically my job and it's peak comfy.
>>
>>89922199
>The ones who are fixing legacy code which is chill but super boring.
I like doing that, if there is room for refactoring and optimizations. It's a good way how to learn as a junior.
>>
File: 1612035009764.jpg (71 KB, 1024x958)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>89921862
>I just didn't show up
>>
>>89922276
>if there is room for refactoring
There really isn't. You don't want to touch 20k lines classes with dogshit code coverage.
You find the bug, do the fix and move on to the other issue.
I basically write like 1 line of code per 8h of detective work trying to figure out what went wrong.
>>
>>89922207
>t. lazy senior who does nothing all day
>>
>>89922319
Yup zero point in even fixing shit like that because you don’t have the original specifications most of the time and changing too much could cause other issues. Easier just to fix what is broken and move on.
>>
>>89922232
>Can I say I don't give a fuck about a sport subscription or work laptop and just want to get more money instead?
IMO not really.

They can get sport subscriptions in bulk and probably have some tax benefits for that. Even if you don't care about it, they are unlikely to give you more money instead.

Work laptop isn't really benefit, but rather necessary tool for you to use at work.
>>
>meeting with manager
>I disagree his opinion
>he shouts for 30min repeating the same point
>I continue to disagree
Later I receive a mail stating "Hey Anon, this we what we agreed upon during the meeting. Please do it asap."

How the fuck do I handle this situation?
My shitty social skills cannot guide me when the other person is being completely dishonest. My normal response would be to just ignore someone like that, but I can't since he's my manager
>>
>>89922666
>Sorry, I remember specifically having some doubts about this during the meeting, can you please remind me quickly what were your closing arguments?
He probably will repeat whatever he said on the meeting in the mail, so you can respond to everything again in a calm, polite manner and add that if he wants you may schedule another meeting, maybe this time with [manager's boss] as third party to get another view on that.
>>
>>89922757
Also make sure your points are valid and not just some autistic screeching, remember bosses will always choose delivering product over having perfect clean code or shit like that. While stating your arguments focus on short and long term consequences. If you suspect your manager's boss will side with him and not you just STFU instead and do what you're supposed to do.
>>
Took a month but I grinded every Blind 75 question now what should I do? leetcode is fucking retarded though. So many optimal solutions are things you can't actually figure out on your own in an interview and you have to pretend that you did.
>>
>>89922104
Can you not read code?
>>
>>89922951
Not if it's written by retards like you
>>
>>89922043
Liar. How many lines of code did you commit in the past 3 business day?
>>
>>89923082
None
>>
>>89923124
Changing the world
>>
My boss just told be I can't plan sick days and use them as vacation. What the fuck!
>>
>>89922580
What if I want to work on my own laptop?
>>
>>89923255
Then you're going to get fired for putting company IP at risk.
>>
>>89923180
Keep your plans to yourself if you don't want someone else to ruin them
>>
File: 1639753528247.png (367 KB, 1037x1580)
367 KB
367 KB PNG
>geohot 2022

Come on boys, this is your chance to make it!
>>
>>89922757
>>89922889
I see your logic. I'll try but this is hard on me. My perception is that he greatly disrespected me, so it is difficult to write a polite and logical answer.
Thanks
>>
>>89922438
>as if thats not what all of us are aspiring to
>>
only 2 months into my first job as a software dev but i'm already tired of coming off like a total retard
>>
>>89923351
No kidding. I vow to never tell other again! Everytime I ask I get a "no, that's not allow" but I know if I did it and explained I believed I could, it would be ok
>>
no daddy dont make me clock in from lunch. nooo.
>>
Should I be going for AWS sysops if I’m in networking? Btw is there any good books on it besides the study guide and that one video by freecodecamp
>>
File: jira.png (434 KB, 600x531)
434 KB
434 KB PNG
I hate Jira
>>
>visiting possible client to discuss new project
>have to drown myself with booze after I get home because I think I have fucked up and given bad impression
I thought it would get easier in time but it really hasn't
>>
>>89924665
how old is this piece of shit? how does it not have basic functionality?
>>
File: 1667347184120578.jpg (11 KB, 222x235)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Thanks burgers for Thanksgiving. Druk Gods the night is ours
>>
File: FciOQebXwAIDTUs.jpg (5 KB, 176x187)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>make a change and push to stage
>metrics on stage show that a bug unrelated to what I was changing was fixed
>can't find the bug in the original code
>the code change I applied doesn't seem to interact with the bug at all
time to punt this to Monday
>>
I was laid off. They outsourced my job.

What are some certs/degrees that are outsource proof in the age of remote working?
>>
>>89925040
hmm, donnow anon.

Maybe try just being American? Or somewhere with labor laws?

holy shit I just realized I live in a "right to work" state. I wonder if that also protects (not only from unions) but against random firings?
>>
>>89925040
There is nothing outsourceproof. You outsourceproof yourself by being good enough that replacing you with a random pajeet gives a much worse result than paying you.
>>
>look up issue I'm having
>first result is my own featured comment on a github issue from two years ago last time I ran into the same thing
Damn I'm based
>>
File: 1669238986931.png (489 KB, 542x1015)
489 KB
489 KB PNG
Anyone else depressed at work? People talk to me but I can't help but say one word answers. Even when I want to talk to someone I'll just be like forget it.

I feel like such a mood killer but fuck I keep just thinking about jumping out the window. Letting everything go. It would be a beautiful death.
>>
>>89925278
>Anyone else depressed at work?
Isn't everyone from time to time?
There are times that getting up from my bed or not saying anything about killing myself during daily seems like an impossible task.
Finding creative hobby outside of work helps.
>>
What do you fill in the "write something about you" fields when applying for a job? I always leave them empty, but it has been a month already and nobody except some stupid recruitment companies called back.
>>
>juniors bitching about seniors
>seniors bitching about juniors
niggas, almost none of us work on products that need to exist or that matter. who gives a shit. i'm just here to get paid and then leave.
>>
>>89925351
Usually it's okay at home but working in the office when you get the moods feel awful. Everyone feels intrusive and you seem like an asshole for feeling this way.
>>89925400
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>89925400
I just wrote something short about how I like to read and write books as a hobby and how sometimes I feel like constructing a story is like building code architecture. They asked me about it in the interview and I talked about a book or two I liked.
It's just a way to humanize you and show that you're not a social autist. You failed the vibe check.
>>
>>89925055
I live in a right to work state and I'm American. But they laid off 100 others as well after losing a couple clients.

I'm actually glad I got severance, company was going to shit and even cancelled Christmas as a paid holiday only to replace it with Juneteenth.

>>89925083
They do not care about your performance and care way more about 'process'. They have no problem firing one worker and replacing them with 3 scabs just to say they have more to manage to justify a budget. More seats filled, moar money for them programs and the more managers they need. IT is cancerous like that.

I actually had a bunch of certs, educated and hardcore covid experience being the top performer. I was over qualified actually looking to move to a different department.
But I was put on a shitlist by the new director, a fat angry dyke type that would go around asking everyone who they voted for and put people on probation for taking too long of a shit.
>>
>found a job I really like
>know I won't get it
:(
>>
>>89922757
>closing arguments
kek
>>
>>89925407
Stupid fucking junior rationalizing ignorance. If the product stops doing what the customer expects it to do then we stop getting paid. It doesn't matter whether or not it matters, we still own the product.
>>
>>89924665
bloated piece of shit!
>>
>>89925505
i'm not even a junior. i just don't care about our product :).
>>
>>89925407
you getting paid matters even less than your products :^)
>>
>>89925541
>t. faggot product owner
go rearrange some tickets on jira, faggot.
>>
>>89922666
If your manager or director does not like you, start looking a for a new job or department because they will make your life hell for petty reasons.
>>
>>89925411
>you seem like an asshole
>Fuck off retard.
ever thought that maybe you just are an asshole?
>>
Why do women coworkers have to be so handholdy?
>>
>>89922199
>Is it possible to have a dev job that is both interesting and comfy?
No. Either the product is boring and you work comfortably at your own pace or the product is interesting so everyone will expect you to put in extra hours.
>>
>>89925593
I hate you retards on here so much.
You complain all the time about being unemployed but put actually the bare minimum and wonder why you don't get picked.

Die.
>>
File: 2464256256256256.png (186 KB, 976x518)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
So what the fuck are you all going to do with your tech money?
I just want to buy a marching tuba
>>
>>89925644
nice
>>
>>89925644
Weed
>>
File: file.png (146 KB, 760x428)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>>89924865
>Ranjeet to do the needful and write behaviors to add functionality
>>
File: 1663298379715985.jpg (270 KB, 4000x4000)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>Monday was the start of sprint
>wasn't really paying attention
>anon, are you okay with taking this feature?
>sorry, I was muted
>y-yeah its okay
>any problem with the details and points assigned?
>n-no, all good
>8 point story
Well it turns out It was something I have no knowledge whatsoever?
I should've stayed in Testing ffs.
Its over isn't it?
>>
>>89925664
baby's first big story?
it's gonna be okay, on next daily just say it's more complicated than you thought and you need some help, it happens all the time
just make sure you have specific questions to ask, not
>i don't know how to do it lol
>>
>>89925040
Anything can be outsourced or automated eventually.
>>
>>89925644
hahaha wtf are you gonna do with a tuba? you gonna march down your driveway like a one man parade or serenade a woman with the sound of a tuba?
>>
>>89925644
I spend over $500 per month on supplements, meds and other products for self improvement in terms of looks, health and intelligence. Thank god for lax online doctors.
>>
>>89925762
What do you take?
>>
>>89925727
play some music with frens
>>
>>89923180
>>89923351
I thought managers generally preferred it when employees submitted known PTO in advance. That way they can plan accordingly with the client, team, or whomever. Why wouldn't this be the case?
>>
>Freezing is 2 days away.
>Devs decided to request 12 changes in one day
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>89925709
>baby's first big story?
Yeah pretty much, I was in testing and devops for over a year.
All the other dev tasks I've done in the last 2 months were pretty easy.
Will get in touch with the senior to understand better, ty
>>
>>89925771
Omega 3, finasteride, vitamin B complex, astaxanthin (36mg), zinc, glucosamine, caakg, vitamin a, vitamin e, hyaluric acid, tmg, vitamin d, iodine, probiotics, chondroitin, silica, vitamin k+k2, lutein+zeaxathin, taurine, msm, ashwaghanda, vitamin c, magnesium, lecithin, psyllium husk, collagen peptides, glycine, nac, tretinoin, tadalafil, selenium, boron, neutrogena and some other skin moisterizers.

A lot of that stuff I have to take in the morning or else I cannot sleep at night.
>>
>>89925436
>It's just a way to humanize you and show that you're not a social autist
Well I'm not that good at writing such shit and it seems pretty pointless to me.
I guess I am a social autist.
>>
>>89921338
If it's a single person they are just an asshole or are bad with people. if most or all the seniors do this then I'm sorry but you are the dumbass and they just don't want to deal with you. I always drop things and immediately help out jr's who I know are capable since I know the 10-30 mins I spend helping them will result in a day or more of productive high quality work. On the other hand the few village idiots we have I basically ignore and spend as little time as possible because I dreaded and it would just be wasted time as they will inevitably return after making only marginal if any progress.
>>
>>89925869
>
>>
>>89925869
>glycine
my dreams have never been normal since taking this.
>>
>>89925869
Why do you need so many supplements? What does your diet consist of?
>>
Any tips on breaking into the tech industry over in colorado, in the denver area? I don't have a degree or certifications, and I'm moving to a different state in 7 months. Trying to get into software engineering in the future
>>
>>89925908
Don't take too much in the evening.
>>89925911
>Why do you need so many supplements?
Because my body was in a bad condition in my early 20s and through the years I ended up with this huge list of supplements and meds.
>>89925911
>What does your diet consist of?
Low fat yogurt and celery
>>
>>89925921
sent ;)
>>
File: 1652821397673.jpg (33 KB, 626x626)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
I'm too lazy to switch jobs bros. I'm going nowhere on this one and should already be getting paid at least 30% more
>>
Does anyone here want to start a business instead of being someone else's servant?
>>
>>89925921
Just go to some software engineering company, find the most awkward looking dude in the building and shake his hand.
>>
>>89925944
do it now, it will only be harder with time
>>
>>89925947
Yeah
>>
>>89925931
>Because my body was in a bad condition in my early 20s
Was this from drugs, partying, random sex, etc.?

>Low fat yogurt and celery
Why would you have low fat yogurt? How are you getting your fats and proteins? Half the supplements you listed could probably be removed by adding some steak, fruits and vegetables to your diet.
>>
>>89925869
>he doesn't take lion's mane
>doesn't use retinol cream
>no creatine

Not going to make it
>>
>>89925947
I prefer having a work life balance desu
>>
>>89925869
>>89925980
you guys seriously don't take bacopa monnieri?
>>
>>89925978
>Was this from drugs, partying, random sex, etc.?
No, from being a sedentary depressed teenager.
>>89925978
>How are you getting your fats and proteins?
Protein I'm getting enough I think (over 150g). It's fat which I'm not taking enough.
>>89925980
>he doesn't take lion's mane
Talafil is better for that since it actually increases your short term memory.
>doesn't use retinol cream
Do you even know what tretinoin is?
>no creatine
Couldn't handle the sides from it.
>>
>>89925811
Places that differentiate between pto and sick leave have different rules.
>>
>>89925869
>tadalafil
is it better than sildenafil for some fun on MDMA?
>>
File: 1666485236471813 copy.jpg (1.4 MB, 2000x1270)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
Story time

> dabble in React stack among other jobs at friends startup for ~3 years for peanuts
> want to do grad school since I can do it without debt, start applying
> start applying with startup's blessing too, 100-200 apps on Indeed
> the carousel starts spinning, recruiters and HR people galore, multiple weekly interviews for about 3 months as I live on savings, actually somewhat stressful
> last recruiter, a nice Southern belle, arranges a final round of interviews before I decide to quit and work in a warehouse or something
> Indian manager shows up, I botch the vanilla HTML form he asks for
> get the offer out of nowhere 2 weeks later, $90k wfh tech consultant gig
> get a macbook, iphone, and dell display in the mail
> find out my company distributes 2 APIs for our clients webpages, and our job is to tell them how to implement those 2 lines in their page since we can't access their codebase
> each TC gets a handful of clients (big companies), and we claim billable hours from them as they ask for help, easy enough right?
> 3 months of nothing to do, pajeet doesn't bother training
> find out that access to engineering team is indirect, and documentation is shit
> no coding at all, teams calls almost every day, often with pissed-off indian and chang devs
> expected to lead calls all of a sudden with big dev teams, but not good at it, and pajeet comes in to bullshit them with a basic script
> find out that's what he does for all customers, many of them hate it, and he scalps max billable hours for higher bonuses
> motherfucker's making 150-170% of his weekly quotas for no work, just scalps as much as the customer can bear and no one cares since he's making money
> he also forces me into training sessions where he claims more hours, passive aggressive 30 minute Teams calls and I want to murder him
> no improvement, no skillset to improve
> hold on for 7 months, quit and go to school instead w/ $40k in my bank account

Hope that was a good decision, it's fun tho
>>
File: 1666875722455165.jpg (423 KB, 916x1275)
423 KB
423 KB JPG
>>89925982
I realize I can't stand the fake corprate world and I am a barbarian in a suit that wants to upend everything.

What I fear most is getting a too comfy of a makework job then not doing anything with my life that's meaningful, if I wanted to just sit around doing nothing I would do it the right way.
>>
anyone else here get high while working? i find it helps with getting through some of the easier/boring tasks.
>>
>>89926051
Sildenafil is bad for your hair since it increases DHT and doesn't last as long as tadalafil. That said, there is a connection between viagra and a lower risk for alzheimers so it may be beneficial for your health.
>>
>>89926077
Checked. I used to do this. I ran into problems whenever I had to deal with my managers or co-workers though. I wouldn't trust myself to get high in front of any clients.
>>
>>89926149
Yeah, I'm not sure how retarded I am in meetings while high. So far it seems to be ok.
>>
>>89926071
>not doing anything with my life that's meaningful
You didn't get the memo? Whatever you do your life is meaningless.
>>
>>89926170
Exactly, so I will assert my own meaning.
>>
>hearing rumors of layoffs in december
>manager starts asking me how some of the team are performing
>want's me to pick 2 who need "improving"
pajeet's are getting the axe
>>
>>89926246
which industry is ur company and whats the size
>>
File: bun.jpg (119 KB, 640x853)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
For someone with no practical job experience, and say being interested in regular general purpose programing work. How many certs would I need to get to have a chance at being employed without a degree, assuming that I'm in a europoor state btw.
And a secondary question: is specifically GitHub the only thing an employer will look at for one's portfolio, or can it be any other git repository.
>>
>>89926262
>size
6 inches minimum ;)
>>
>>89926262
telecoms & too many pajeets
>>
>>89925982
this is a wagie cope. there's a difference between

>working for yourself

and

>working for somebody else

Work-life balance, burn-out, and all other corporate buzzwords don't apply in the first case. Working for yourself is fulfilling in itself.
>>
>>89925278
Touch grass sissyboy
>>
>>89926287
>GitHub the only thing an employer will look at for one's portfolio, or can it be any other git repository
GitHub is the only place HR Roasties know of. If a dev is reviewing your resume I'd imagine they'd be fine with any git repo
>>
>>89926287
>How many certs would I need to get to have a chance at being employed without a degree, assuming that I'm in a europoor state btw.
Europoors still need degrees despite the fact that you only earn 1/3 of what Americans earn at most.
t. Europoor
>>
File: file.png (22 KB, 650x650)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>all the no code features are getting the axe in the next year
>already assigned to rewrite some in our company language
Oh no no no-code bros.. we were suppose to be the future what happened?
>>
>>89921002
>"Burnout" is not real.
I hope that no impressionable young person reads this utter and total bullcrap and believes that it is actually true.
>>
>>89925644
Are you going to follow fat people with it?
>>
I've almost got over my divorce after nearly 2 years and am just starting to be productive again, but in my current job (where I've been for the same amount of time) I know that I've definitely come across as useless/mildly retarded. I don't think I'll be able to repair that damage, so hopefully can find a new workplace soon.
>>
>>89926423
lemme guess, salesforce
>>
How long do I have to wait before applying for senior positions as mid?
I have two years of experience and the knowledge, and another year and a half from previous experience but it's not as comparable. I have previous experience too but not related to the field.
Also I'm lacking certifications but I always found those to be bloat.
Thanks.
>>
>>89927242
I'm in the same situation. I acquired the prefix of "senior" at my last job, but all that meant was that I wasn't a junior. That title has different meanings depending on where you apply. Could be anything from a know-it-all tech lead to what I was originally. Best to just apply for what seems right to what you want to do and where your skill set lies.
>>
>wake up
>14 bugs from qa overnight
>>
>>89927442
god bless those cute little filipina click monkeys.
>>
anybody have a good git refresher site? I have been solo koding for a few years with no vc because I didn't need it don't judge.
>>
>>89927539
yeah, github. go use git. fuck.
>>
>>89927509
It only happened because a white person tested edge cases unlike the Filipina click monkeys.
>>
>>89927539
I just use the visual studio git lol
>>
>>89927539
you can use atlassian's source tree as git GUI
>>
>>89927539
I learned git by reading the Book, playing around with it, and checking StackOverflow when I needed a concept or technique explained a different way
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2
I'm not an expert, but I can do pretty much anything I need with it, and I'm usually the most proficient person on my team. That said... I do use the VSCode GUI and the Gitlens plugin for convenience, only resorting to command line for complicated stuff
>>
Last two and half days I did fuck-all, finished almost all my work in 4 hours.
>>
>>89925894
I wish people would just tell me if im stupid or annoying…
>>
>>89927751
HEY kill yourself XIEVE nigger
>>
>>89928292
you're stupid or annoying ;)
>>
>>89928292
My just don't ask stupid shit. By that I mean I had a Jr literally message me with "I did the deployment and it didn't work". I left that fucker on read bc wtf am I supposed to do with that? Did the deployment not work or was the code not working after it deployed successfully? If you can't even do something as basic as being a god damn human being capable of formulating a coherent sentence I'm not wasting my time on you.
>>
File: 20221029_092647.jpg (47 KB, 492x609)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>89920738
>pic
>family is le bad
>ree my relatives are so annoying I just want to be "alone"
These images and posts are auto-generated for anti-natal propaganda.
>>
>>89920980
Meta is in code freeze, amazon likely as well. Code landing paused, code deployment paused. No work getting done around here. I'm oncall and got literally one customer support question (the answer to which was "you're holding it wrong")
>>
>>89923498
how tf is:
1. geohot still relevant
2. geohot somehow now a brainlet just years after popping ring-0 exploits on iphones and playstations
3. geohot somehow expected to fix twitter search without source access?? is this fake?
>>
>>89927627
>>89927647
>>89927678
Retards.
>>
>>89925055
>>89925442
You morons you are referring to at-will employment laws. Right-to-work has nothing to do with at will employment.
>>
>>89925664
what it is exactly?
>>
>>89932336
What more do you need?
>>
>>89932712
Needing a git GUI just shows that you are a midwit grifter and should look for another profession.
>>
File: 1666627290438907.png (548 KB, 853x1000)
548 KB
548 KB PNG
>>89921862
>>
File: 1668396169021600.gif (718 KB, 534x300)
718 KB
718 KB GIF
>>89921002
>>
>>89932718
t. has never had a job
>>
>>89932771
>oh nooo I need my big colourful buttons that I can press not the scary command line!!!
I hate baseddevs so much it's unreal.
>>
How easy it is to find a better paying job with 3 years of previous experience? That's me by the way.
>>
What's your biggest/most complex personal project that you put on your resume? I have a few but they're all small things that a competent programmer would spend a day on.
>>
>>89933212
I don't do personal projects because I don't work for free.
>>
>>89933212
None. I'm a professional engineer so I put my engineering experience

I'm not gonna waste valuable space in my resume talking about how I can fix cars and how I added an arduino to my coffee machine when I can mention actual industry experience
>>
>Indian branch closing down
I don't know how to feel, it will probably make my life so much easier, but that's a fuck ton of people out of a job
>>
>>89934907
>that's a fuck ton of people out of a job
the actually talented pajeets will find something soon enough, the rest can eat dirt and shit on the street
>>
>>89932803
it's obviously not about buttons, it's about seeing the git tree and changes at a glance
>>
File: 1645265379468.png (61 KB, 640x339)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>89935203
>t. 5
>>
>>89926287
I'm in that position right now (but degree in a different field). Applied for maybe 10-15 jobs last week saying basically I know how to program in my resume and the result is:
> Not qualififed for this job (too senior) but here's another one we have so do this programming test (haven't started yet).
> Interview, qualified, and finished a programming test (pass), currently waiting to hear back for an offer.
> Interview, qualified, waiting for them to send the programming test (asked them to send it next week as I'm busy with other tests)
> Cold call from a hiring agency asking me if I want to apply for a job (asked them if they wanted someone junior and they would check, no reply yet)
> Cold call from another hiring agency, same thing as above.
This is also in Europoor. You can get interviews just by hinting of having some experience programming, and from there on it's just how good you are rather than any degree or cert.
>>
>>89935252
i'm glad you feel better about yourself because you prefer typing git status and git log every time
have a nice day anon
>>
>>89935203
for me it's fukken gir merge, good luck creating a successful merge without visualizing a, b and result
>>
On the verge of losing my job unless i deliver on a method of pulling (downloading? retrieving?) user certificates from an active directory using a linux endpoint.
Tried it in a lab and ldapsearch did the trick, doesn't work on the client's environment (no usercertificate property found).
Really liked this job and i'm kinda spiraling i really didn't want to be let go
>>
>>89935559
i just use vscode for merges
>>
>>89935601
Download them in lab, cache them, then it works for all existing certs in clients environment. Maybe good enough to fool them.
>>
>>89935252
>>89932803
You aren't an epik l33t hacker just because you use the command line.
>>
>>89935699
I am "THOUGH"
I bet you don't even dream in code.
>>
I keep having to tell my family "I'm an engineer, not an IT person. I don't know why your printer or router isn't working. And frankly, I don't care."
>>
>>89935642
I'm using Visual Studio (not Code) and the fucker gives a very decent merge managing ngl
>>
>>89935748
>I'm an engineer
By that do you mean you design bridges?
>>
File: 1669300980574.png (2.04 MB, 1920x1080)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
>new guy
>tell myself if I learn and work hard, work will become easier
>work did get easier
>actually like my job

>6 months later
>drafted into a high phase, 2 weeks sprints, short deadlines department
>no amount of learning or hard work will make my job or life easier
>start hating my job

Solve problems at work all the time. Don't know how to solve the problem I'm in right now.
>>
>>89935774
>civvies
>>
>>89937074
thought I was in edgerunners thread and you were posting as Dabid
did you not set good impression first 3-6 months that you could coast off? seems like you fucked up somewhere unless you got paid more
>>
>>89937217
At least they're engineers, I strongly disagree with the term "software engineer".
>>
>>89937074
Working hard only gets you more work. The only upside is you're less likely to get fired.
>>
>>89937266
The entire team got drafted and nope don't get paid more.

Team mates don't seems to express their frustrations openly like I do in retrospectives but they say they agree with me. Seems like some express it privately.
When I tell my scrum master how I feel the reply I get is there is nothing I can do, the company that we are making this project for created these deadlines.
>>
>>89926188
Based Ubermensch
>>
>>89926077
Short-term benefit.
Long-term detriment.

Your choice
>>
My company has 0 developers and our "director of IT" doesn't have any background in tech. Did I just find a hidden gem of do-nothing until I can pivot into a real company and make 4x more?
>>
>>89925644
Based, I'm saving up for a high-quality accordeon.
>>
>>89938312
Holy shit. I'm in EXACTLY the same predicament as you.
>>
File: 1467749126844.png (125 KB, 280x242)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>"it's been four weeks. You still haven't completed the most recent installment of your security awareness training. That means you're now on your company's watchlist."
>>
>>89926423
Non-devs BTFO
>>
>>89933212
I don't have any personal projects because I don't program in my free time. At most I read some books on topics I'm interested in.
Riding completely on my CS degree and job experience.
>>
>>89937404
"Engineer" is a legally protected term in Germany which you're only allowed to use after successfully completing a TE degree. That's why us uni grads call ourselves software engineers to distinguish us from self learners, bootcampers and people who went through apprenticeships.
>>
>>89939340
Uni grads call themselves software engineers because their egos are the size of the moon despite being notoriously shit at programming.
You don't engineer shit.
>>
>>89939340
>I only use the terminology daddy state allows
>>
>>89939575
>despite being notoriously shit at programming
Cope.
>>89939648
What a tough guy you are.
>>
how can i find a entry level job ?
>>
>>89939726
>have a CS or SE degree
>have some job experience
Bretty easy desu
>>
>>89939743
>how to get entry level job: have job experience already
Wouldn't he be looking for a non-entry level job?
>>
>>89939340
It's also protected in Canada, but that doesn't stop Microsoft from calling its bootcampers SWEs.
>>
>boss calls me while I take a shit
>call him back
>no response
>write him a message multiple times
>no response
>fix shit for colleague
>ask him to test it
>no response
>fix shit for another colleague
>ask him to test it
>"yeah, thanks, call you later"
>he doesn't
My "in progress" swimlane's gonna be as long as an actual swimlane by next week.

>customer buys external product from some obscure company from the other side of the world
>asks us to set it up as an ECS service, pays premium for little effort
>ask Ranjid for docker container, expect answer tomorrow
>responds immediately
>sends perfectly fine container
>documents every environment variable
>profiled the software beforehand so he can give me CPU and memory requirements
Yeah. Maybe they deserve our jobs.

On an unrelated job, ever hide an easter egg in your shit, folks? I put one in a health check because nginx (rightfully) refuses to return 200 without content and ELB needs extra configuration to accept 204 for checks to register as successful. AWS has special needs in general.
>>
>>89939743
how the fuck i can get job experience without getting into job? also i am kinda retarted on school stuff so no degree.
>>
>>89939852
>how the fuck i can get job experience without getting into job
You get an internship while in uni or get a job through connections. Without a degree you'll never make it past the HR autofilter tho.
>>
>>89939852
Look for trainee level jobs. If emigration is an option, come to Germany, I guarantee you'll find one here.
Alternatively, get a shit-tier internship and resist the urge to neck yourself.
>>
>>89939929
>come to Germany, I guarantee you'll find one here.
Most dev jobs in Germany still require a CS degree or apprenticeship. Unless anon is willing to work for <30k€ a year, he won't find an entry level job.
>>
File: fce.jpg (26 KB, 600x538)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>receive call from boss
>pick up the phone and say hello
>no response, the line is quiet
>hang up after a few seconds
>receive a mail from boss "Anon you're not answering your phone"
My boss is trying to gaslight me
>>
>>89937074
You showed your potential at work. They saw how easy it was for you to complete your work so they brought you into another role to challenge yourself again. That is of course what they want your ignorant ass to believe, truth is you fucked up showing your whole hand at once and not pacing yourself. They want results and consistent results. Doesn't matter how bright you shine, a row of lightbulbs that are consistent burn evenly but one that burns a bit brighter will get moved to other brighter bulbs and if you can't hack the intensity you will burn out. Best to be a reliable bulb that shows consistency, because 120% is a meme.
>>
>>89939984
I fucking would work for 30K€ for a year i live in a shitty country
>>
>>89940109
Then better start learning German.
>>
>>89939899
>>89939929
>take an internship before an entry level job
Then why is it called entry level?
>>
>>89940109
Imagine making over 110k in a poor southern state in the US.
>>
>>89940120
Oh fuck.
>>
>>89939984
Which really isn't that big of an issue unless you wanna live in central Berlin or Hamburg or some shit like that.
You can find dirt-cheap places that are great to live in for under 30k no problem, especially if it's only temporarily. Duisburg comes to mind. Dresden is alright as well. Regensburg, Ingolstadt, Ulm, Kiel, Mannheim.

>>89940139
Internship's important if you got no qualifications at all. Landed a 36k/year 32h/week job with a BSc in CS no problem. And that's on the low end, but my employer's just so comfy.
>>
>>89940219
>You can find dirt-cheap places that are great to live in for under 30k no problem, especially if it's only temporarily.
Cheapest apartments here in rural-ish places go for around 800€.
>>
>>89940177
I live in a country where a retardogan so 30K euro is fucking a good payment for me
>>
>>89940219
>Landed a 36k/year 32h/week job with a BSc in CS no problem
Europe? That sounds extremely low even here in Aus.
>>
>>89940262
where retardogan rules*
>>
>>89940262
I heard from a Turkish coworker that many Turkish devs freelance for European and American companies.
>>
good resources for learning cpp?
>>
>>89940510
A tour of C++

Then making a simple game with SDL2.

Then effective modern C++ and back to basics cppcon vids.
>>
>>89940238
>here
I don't know where you're looking, but I'm on immobilienscout24 right now, looking at Duisburg and finding cheaper places. Just look at the places I pointed out buddy.

>>89940265
It's pretty comfy desu. My wife makes a bit less, but we still managed a pretty luxurious vacation, one less luxurious one, our wedding and our honeymoon coming in along with new hardware and some gadgets with a few thousands going into savings.
I mean, sure, more money is more good. But, ya know. I don't plan to stick with it, I plan to work for more and I'm making the most of what I got. I like it.
>>
File: fat_nerd_laughing.jpg (26 KB, 474x379)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
I am very fat and the chairs in my new job are rather flimsy. I am sure I will destroy it in time, and it squeaks every time I move.
Would it be weird to bring my own chair?

>inb4 lose weight
I would destroy the chair in the meantime.

Captcha: dysarm
>>
>>89940629
>scott meyers
didn't alex stepanov say on multiple occasions that scott meyers gives bad advice?
>>
>>89940713
Sounds like a work place health and safety issue.
I do suggest losing weight though.
>>
>>89940725
Dunno, I've had a C++ job for a year now and I still haven't really gotten through effective modern Cpp. I learned more from cppcon on modern cpp desu.
>>
>>89938413
what are you doing and whats the strat to maximize it
>>
how do i get into financial swe work? still early enough for me to transition. wondering if there are any good resources /g/ recommends
>>
>>89940741
>Sounds like a work place health and safety issue.
Does it? I don't think Mr. Bossman is going to be happy to spend more money on me.
(Especially since he told me the money I negotiated is quote a lot for them - though that may be just negotiating tactics.)
I think he will tell me to just take another unused chair. (Lot of free chairs after part of company moved to WFH.)

>I do suggest losing weight though.
You're not wrong, but if I was the kind of person who will lose weight, I would probably done so already.
>>
>>89940856
>still early enough for me to transition. wondering if there are any good resources /g/ recommends
I think /lgbt/ is the better board for that.
>>
>>89920738
>OP image
At least you're not getting tickets from your actual job because everything went to hell the second you took some time off.
>>
>>89940856
There are no special requirements; you learn on the job. The industry's nothing special, anyway. Some work is interesting, but 95% is tremendously boring. A lot of integration with legacy third party tech from the 90s. Customers are used to getting their way and everyone's constantly bypassing the systems and expecting the system to just be cool with it.
>>
>>89940952
based
>>
>>89940898
Chairs are cheap considering how long they last, just say there's a chance of breaking perfectly good equipment because you're a fat fuck.
>>
File: 1638239795671.jpg (559 KB, 2329x1587)
559 KB
559 KB JPG
>Oh hey there anon! Your pa was just telling us about how you've got some fancy job now!
>So what exactly do you DO at this job, anon? In English, please! hyuck hyuck!
>>
>>89941174
I guess...
Thanks
>>
File: 1567596475601.gif (1012 KB, 192x108)
1012 KB
1012 KB GIF
>get new project
>finally get some designer on team to do design/UX
>she actually delivers quality designs but no ui kit/guidelines/reference
>ask her to make them
>she actually delivers and does good job
>finally we will produce something that looks good
>start implementing it
>things do not really add up, button states make no sense, random other nuisances
>ask to clarify a lot of stuff
>she just low effort copy paste some stuff around and disappear
>ask what is this about
>"she no longer has time for our project, we will do with what we have" aka they stopped paying her/her contract ended
>keep working
>get flooded with PRs from juniors that do random shit with what we have that makes no sense but they can't clarify it with the designer because there is none and they have no idea of UX
>ask for someone to help me get through all this shit
>after few weeks get one of the coworkers from other team to do initial reviews
>he quickly starts doing them less and less scrupulous, leaving more and more shit to bounce from me
>new business requirement arrives and it requires some complex views
>boss sketches wireframes, some junior does them and gets approved by him
>it all makes no sense, nothing is consistent with anything, random font sizes, styles, modals jump around when you press things, random things popup that make no sense, nested weird forms, random buttons that take you to external websites, it doesn't even display properly on anything lower than 1080p
>horrible UX
>the other code review guy decides he has no longer free time to check these PRs
>ask the junior about it
>"but it was approved"
>of course the only QA and apparently the only person in team who has eyes is me
>it's been most of the work day and I still haven't written down everything that is wrong with all of this
>mfw I will never write code again at this rate
>>
>>89941687
god damn nigga, go write a book.
>>
>>89941719
I unironically might in the future. I have already seen so much shit.
This company I am working for is relatively normal to sketchy gamedevs I used to work in.
>>
>>89941687
>>"but it was approved"
I feel the need to kill when I hear this at work
Same thing with "do as you're told even if it's a bad idea"
Some people seem to just work randomly and when a problem inevitably occurs they can't understand how this could happen
>>
>>89935252
tfw 5 and can use git cli with no problems
>>
>>89935252
>le visualized qualia
Retarded meme pushed by self-described "creatives" who have never made anything beyond sequin-decorated journals. Qualia cannot be decomposed and they certainly can't be fucking diagramed.
>>
>recruiter calls
>asian man with 'urban' accent
>company actually sounds interesting, but i have everything about the recruiter
>come across as uninterested
'urban' accent guys who should instead be rapping, and indian women, are my nightmare.
>>
>>89938312
It's great but don't let yourself get stuck there. It will be a problem if you're not out of there by 2 yrs or so max.
>>
>>89938312
it seems good now, but you'll become retarded and a worse programmer by the end of it.
>>
File: 1660005598936175.jpg (6 KB, 250x229)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Graduating with an ECE degree in a few months but this degree is so broad that I don't know what roles I should be going for. CS people mog me in the software space and keywords like Electrical Engineer yield jobs that require like 7 yrs of experience
>>
>>89923498
ah, the old "make the interviewee do unpaid work for you and then use their work without hiring them" trick
>>
>>89943660
I had/have the same issue
Electrical Engineering is waaay too broad. Pick something that you enjoyed in your degree (or at least didn't hate) and focus on those types of entry level jobs
Be careful pursuing power distribution. You will face a tonne of industrial electricians who will mog your knowledge and resent you and call you shit at your job. "Sparkys make better electrical engineers than electrical engineers" is a common trope. What sparkys don't understand is the vast amount of other shit you had to learn at uni, not just how electrons flow

I didnt completely suck at the telecom and signal processing stuff at uni so I pursued that. All my jobs have been in the telecom/rf domain

You could try to find an entry level field engineering job. Either doing installs, commissioning or maintenance. That's where I started and you gain very valuable experience being on the tools and working with test and measurement gear
>>
File: 1639109347287.jpg (24 KB, 512x288)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>5 years younger intern girl just got a new job that pays 50% more than what I currently get
how to deal with this feel
>>
>>89944019
Ask her to recommend you in that company and send your resume.
>>
>>89944019
>>89944019
At your same company and similar role? I'd be pissed and leave for a new job
At a different company? I'd be happy for her and jealous and leave for a new job
>>
>Boss puts customers on hold because he didn't want any interruptions during the World Cup match.
lmao.
>>
>>89943828
>Pick something that you enjoyed in your degree (or at least didn't hate) and focus on those types of entry level jobs
Unfortunately my favorite thing was the computer side but they only taught me some basic Java and C and very light exposure to Assembly and VHDL so I dont I can qualify for all the CS jobs asking for .NET and API and other stuff. However at this point ill take any engineering job thatll give me a chance.
>You could try to find an entry level field engineering job. Either doing installs, commissioning or maintenance. That's where I started and you gain very valuable experience being on the tools and working with test and measurement gear
How did you go about finding these jobs? Do you have any recommended search words or sites?
>>
>>89944101
im jelly and feel like a loser, but yes it's on another company
>>
>>89944229
Hmmm if computers were your thing you could try a datacentre job or a PLC programmer role

>How did you go about finding these jobs? Do you have any recommended search words or sites?
Lol just try "field engineering" and "maintenance engineering"
My usual sites are seek and linkedin. When job hunting. Also never look at years experience needed. Just send your resume off anyway that's what I do
If you get an interview at a place you don't want to work at least you will get interview experience

What country you from?
>>
>>89944019
Been in the same situation, I was senior and a junior girl got another job (same role) for 40% than me and much comfier.
I applied to the same company and they rejected me after the 3rd round of interviews because "not a good culture fit".
>inb4 sperglord
Fairly sure I'm not.
>>
File: 1637575693277.jpg (45 KB, 800x700)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>89944548
I don't know if it's just a cope, but a month ago I was helping her with some basic shit, things are waaaaaay too easy for women.
>>
>>89943828
>the vast amount of other shit you had to learn at uni
you learned jack shit and it shows
t. former sparky
>>
>>89944698
Haha thanks for the laugh mate
>former
What do you do now?
>>
>>89937074
Hi it's this >>89937266 anon again

>>89940045
Basically this, you became the path of least resistance to having more things dumped on you.

Think of next role as you pushing a train on its tracks physically for the first months of employment, at a nice enough pace that the passengers are happy - and that when you let go of actually pushing the train the impressions there that it'll keep on rolling on the tracks at a an acceptable enough speed
>>
>>89944529
Im from the US. Ive never heard of seek but ill check it out and try out your recommendations and check out those computer roles
>>
>>89944948
Seek might just be an aussie thing
Try indeed instead
>>
>>89920738
>stays in contact with family
ngmi
>>
>>89937404
bridge building kind of engineers that pivoted to programmers say programming is engineering like any other, and funnily more often than actual programmers
>>
>>89941854
that's management.

im helpdesk and know im the bottom rung. if a new process/workflow is a bad idea, I'll tell my manager, but a lot of times i get told to do it anyways. so I do it anyways.

in the end you get paid to do what you're told. i don't imagine that aspect of IT/Dev changes much, unfortunately.
>>
>>89921072
Salary negotiation is the main reason why I'm going through third party recruiters.
>"Anon, what's your expectations in term of salary?"
>I believe the details regarding salary are handled by the recruiter who put us in contact
>"I know... But I usually ask this question anyway."
>...
>"What's your current compensation?"
>I'm not comfortable with sharing the amount.
Tbh it I'm having more rejects on with companies that want *me* to negotiate, compared with companies that don't bypass recruiters for negotiation. So my strategy clearly isn't optimal. But asking for my salary on the first interview is a dick move so I'm not sad when they end up rejecting or ghosting me afterwards.
>>
>>89947605
I just tell them "it would take me at least $AMOUNT to leave my current workplace that i love" etc. and I've never had an issue beside one guy who pretty much said "i don't think we can do that for you"
>>
>>89947605
>asking for my salary on the first interview
this has happened to be with two startups recently who contacted me. i just answered them honestly, didn't realize it was a dick move.
>>
>>89947605
never give them a number anyways
>>
>>89948838
Warning: Drunk
There's really only one case where giving your salary/slary-expecations early makes sense. THat's when you're currently making a lot of money, basically more than you nee dan dpossibly even mor ethan you think you dserve. And also... you don' twan to to earn less. In that case, if an HR person or recruiter asks what your salary is, or your epxection, it's fine to give them a number, just to weed out the bullshit. This is really only if you want to mak e a lateral movel to a more interesting company or work. When you do this though... the phrasing is important. Say... right now you're making $170k or something. When they ask, you simply say, "Well, I don't have any specific number in mind, but with where I'm at now, it wouldn't really make sense for me to consider switching companies anything below $180k, and at that level it would have to be an otherwise perfect opportunity." That way you're setting a baseline that if they can't meet, they should fuck off...... but you're not limiting tyourself sinc eyou're letting them know that it's not just salary that matter sto you. This worked for me in the past, and I neded up with an offer $30k above my minimum-to-make-sense number
>>
Aso, I'm backup on call this week, I shouldn't be drunk, but fuckit
No one is using our service on a holiday week
>>
does anyone actually use linkedin premium
it seems useless
>>
>>89948938
ok nice, that's actually what i say roughly (not at 170 but close enough) and negotiations have almost always gone fairly well.
>>
how can i get a job when all my experience is on-prem windows server 2008
>>
>>89922666
He is your manager. Just do what he told you. You stated your opinion, it got rejected, you move on. Fucking zoomers.
>>
>>89949569
kill yourself furfaggot
>>
what programming language should i learn to get out of this tech support job?
>>
>>89922666
>>89949571
>be me
>at work
>get a load of normal-ass printer paper
>no one knows where to put it
>I say
>"Why not under this desk (that is bolted to the wall) in the corner? It's a standing desk and no one uses. Nothing is under it right now. Even if you do want to use it, the box of paper would still give you room for your feet to just stand there, or even put a small stool."
>superviser just goes "i just dont wanna put it there"
>I say "why not? it's a perfect spot"
>before i can even continue, big boss chimes in
>YOUR SUPERVISOR TOLD YOU IT CAN'T GO THERE SO IT CAN'T FUCKING GO THERE. DO AS YOU ARE FUCKING TOLD
sometimes bosses are just weirdly autistic
>>
>at work
>having some beers after-hours with the boys
>it's not just
>somehow get on computer talk
>end up having to explain AND/OR/XOR/NAND
>boss gives me a weird look
>"Anon can I talk to you out in the hall? PRIVATELY."
>figure he's either gonna confess his love or I'm fired for something silly
>I'm fired for something silly

apparently saying "when both signals are high or both are low, it returns a low, but when it's just one or the other, it returns a high..." is tantamount to leaking intimate details about in-use cryptosystems and is grounds for summary termination.

In 2022, when every serious cryptosystem is open source anyway.
>>
>>89921254
>You don't say a number and let the company make you an offer
Isn't this bad, though?
You might need to go through a thousand tests, a million HR calls, and waste a good chunk of time only to get offered like 30k a year
>>
>>89921338
while >>89921792 and >>89925894 do have a point, knowledge-hoarding is a real thing. Sometimes Seniors are not that smart (or don't see themselves as smart) so they don't help out jrs in fear of being replaced or losing the "he's the only guy that knows it!" status
>>
>>89950149
it's 100% this. every "knowledge" obstacle I've encountered at work that needed outside help ended up being esoteric config issues or just having to chase down original "architects" who, of course, never describe what they did or even document what they actually found wrong.
>>
>>89922666
>How the fuck do I handle this situation?
Do as your told, clean up your resume and go find a new job. Your boss either hates you or he's dumb (or you're dumb I guess, but from my experience managers are usually completely disconnected from reality).
>>
>>89922666
ANFO, a popular industrial explosive, can be made from
>>
>>89950017
based boss desu
>>
>>89950017
That is the core of every major cryptographic system and your boss was right to fire you. You can't just give out the keys to the kingdom like that when the ChiComs are listening to everything we say...
>>
>>89950149
>>89950201
Or my favorite "I'll give the info when you need the info" or i.e. call him outside the call rotation for a problem only he can solve so he gets paid ridiculous amounts of differential plus overtime and "gets the glory" from management for being the one guy to fix it only because he wont share how he does it.
I'm fully transparent and will give you the notes and cheatcodes. But it is up to you to understand the context of what you were given otherwise it is a bunch of notes with no sustenance. Hell I made videos of step by step instructions for the archive, don't care.
>>
>>89950327
Having to deal with people like this made me a person like this. I went from keeping good notes and sharing information and material freely to hoarding shit within the span of a year because of how everyone around me does shit. Can't have SHIT in detroit..... unless you take it or make it
>>
>>89950149
This
I worked with a guy who hoarded his knowledge and when he did explain things he quickly went down into the most complex details to confuse people so no one had a chance to understand the concepts.
He really was just scared of passing the knowledge properly and getting bumped put of his sweet position
>>
>>89950122
This
I jumped through a bunch for aws only for them to offer shit so i told them they're shit
>>
I hate when companies don't give any indication of salary.
>we offer competitive remuneration :^)

Bitches just tell me what you're willing to pay to boss me around
>>
>>89950017
is this real? lmao your boss is a retard
>>
>>89950017
>Your boss is a retard AND you were fired

>Returns positive
Huh, it checks out
>>
File: H3asZWk.jpg (571 KB, 1440x2071)
571 KB
571 KB JPG
>>89950395
>go on indeed
>see job requiring a Top Secret clearance, dozens of certs, and a forklift license

>Compensation: NONE
>>
>>89939929
>come to Germany, I guarantee you'll find one here
How does one even find tech jobs irl? Isn't it all referrals or online these days?
>>
>>89939929
can i get a hell desk job as an illegal immigrant in germany? I've been considering just spending all my savings flying over to western europe and roving about
>>
>>89944810
doing a bachelor's in IS with some embedded systems/electronics on the side. jokes aside, i've worked in the field for ~8 years and as an electrical designer for 2 years so i've worked both opposite and on the same side as the engineers and regarding them they are very hit or miss regarding knowing how to implement whatever they learned at school. a few of them are the most knowledgable and competent people i've met and the rest should never be allowed anything more than administrative duties.
>>
>>89920738
>go home for holidays
>end up in the dirt crying like a little girl to your big brother
I seem to recall this is actually how it went down.
>>
>>89922666
Welcome to hierarchy.
When the argument is over, you do what you're told. If your manager's will has bent during the argument, it will be reflected in what you're told to do. You'll win some, you'll lose a lot more.
But if you want to keep the job, you'll do it.
>>
>>89921862
fuckin' A
>>
>>89944548
>because "not a good culture fit"
the fuck? was this is soe commiefornia cunthole?
>>
>>89920738
have company car and gas
daily AV payment
30 dollar hourly wage to go to the gym
50 dollar over time every call out and holiday hour (on top of the 30USD 8 guarenteed)
what's my next step? how can I earn more and work less? What certifications should I be chasing after for the comfy work from home positions and more money. Day to day I work maybe 3 hours 1~ hour drive there .75 hour song and dance with security (5 minutes swapping a dimm or consoling in for a configuration and then discovery re ack etc etc) 1~ hour drive back home. Most of my day is spent working out in the gym while listening to audio books or if a task doesn't come in I want to say playing pokemon but more likely shitposting.
>>
>>89921072
its usually easier to negotiate once you have a foot hold in the company that way you can leverage two ways. 1: I need this number or I walk Fortune Board of Janitorial work is offering me X+Y for me to join them. (X being current salary and Y what you want usually you need to pitch Y*1.5 or they will offer Y*.25 or some horseshit) 2: You just spend your time applying to other jobs while you have an income you can always tell them hey I make 2X at my current position could you do anything about it? I might even be able to go as X*1.75 to come to this great organization.

you make nearly double and make sure you have hard line shit like time off no call after certain hours etc etc.
>>
>>89951174
How did you land your job? I don't even care for 100$/hour bullshit, I just want a comfy 25$/h where I can shitpost while being paid for it
>>
>>89944548
>"not a good culture fit"
aka no white men allowed
>>
>>89951239
I'm going to be honest. I came from a biomed background and didn't even want the job. I threw my name into a couple hiring pools during covid and got this position which was listed as a traveling installation position but because I had my A+ SEC+ etc etc they made me the emergency network guy. Now I am the guy that 3 letter agencies, your credit cards bank, the big three telecom companies etc etc. call when they need a DIMM replacement on a cisco device at 2 AM. I literally started by being helpdesk and trust me "shitpost while being paid" isn't as good as "not have to be in an office with other people." If you know how to drive look at some like ATM or antennae repair companies near you. Then always ask about additional training so you can have additional transferrable skills for other opportunities.
>>
>>89951308
I see
I kinda wanted a job that was fully remote and not very demanding so I could be a tech nomad for a bit, so hardware repair doesn't look like the way to go.
I even had a chill and remote backend-dev job for a while, but it was some entry-level job that paid like 12k a year.
>>
>>89951239
>shitpost while being paid for it
to be fair shitpost while being paid for it is a retail level position you just have to buy a 4chan pass.

I understand the sentiment of what it is you're saying though. My best advice would be to drop all extra curricular shit for 3 months from new year to spring and focus all your time and energy on grinding out a linux certified professional certification. No games, no shitposting, no friends, no wanking, no liquor. You go to work and you come home (or the local library if you lack disciprine) and grind out a passing grade on one of those 300 dollar cert tests. Paying the hundred or whatever dollars makes it so you have skin in the game especially if you are a wagie. Can't lose 300 dollars right wagie? I have automated transfers to brokerage accounts at 1500 every week wagie you need to step it up kouhai. Shit I mean I'm not saying that to be a dick head. Well I guess I am kind of to a certain degree to get you moving, but the thing is you have to do the shit you don't want to do so you can get to the fake shit jobs where you literally are paid to be at home and then go to a data center like once a week. Part of that is doing your homework so you can be that nigga who knows how to do the shit no one else they hired does know or can even recognize. Before you know it you're renegotiating a new position in the company so they can make the loophole to pay you more than your position.
>>
>>89950017
this has got to be a joke
>>
>>89948927
This.
>>
>>89951128
Bingo!
>>
New thread >>89951902
New thread >>89951902

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.