[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: file.png (163 KB, 389x448)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
Red pill me on BLUETTI and similar hardware.
I live in Portugal, a good place to produce solar power and where energy costs are very high.
Why shouldn't I just buy pic related and run my house out of that, avoiding 90% of the electric bill?
I also get the benefit of having power when the nukes start flying.

Any anons here have similar setups?
>>
>>89908091
I just bought an ecoflow mini (800Wh and 1400W continuous) and a bluetti pv350.
The ecoflow mini does charge via PV at 300W maximum so you may think it's to big. But in these winter days I don't get 300W at all. You need have direct sunlight on the cells or it won't charge, thats a bit annoying cause I didn't expect that.

Don't buy a bundle, the PV modules you get there are always to small.

The PV 350 is ok but it's designed to stand on its own legs. There are no points to use hooks to hold it in position.
>>
>>89908421
>I just bought an ecoflow mini
How did you connect it to your house? Or do you plug your stuff into it directly?

>You need have direct sunlight on the cells or it won't charge
Of course. Isn't this the case to of every solar panel ever?

>>89908421
>Don't buy a bundle
Was not planning to.
I'm getting bigger solar panels from other vendors because I want them on the rooftop.
>>
>>89908091
>run my house out of that, avoiding 90% of the electric bill?
You don't get enough charge/discharge cycles out of it.
I think
>>
>>89908477
>enough charge/discharge cycles
What are you talking about?
>>
>>89908472
>Or do you plug your stuff into it directly?
This!
A connection to the house is technically possible but may not be allowed cause it's not a true three phase output.
I saw a video where someone installed a big switch and a wall mounted plug for this. The "three Schuko to CEE cable" he had made there is definitely not allowed.
>>
>>89908613
>three phase output
I don't have three phase, so I guess that would be no problem for my house.
Do you know how people typically connect this to their houses?
I imagine an AC cable from the grid to power the batteries when solar is not enough, and another AC cable to the house?
>>
>>89908494
I think these batteries are designed close to whats physical possible at high output rates without damaging the cells.
>>
I do find these interesting technolo/g/y

But wouldn't it be much cheaper to power a house off lead acid batteries?
How does current day Li-ion compare to current day lead acid in terms of charge/discharge cycles and price per kWh?
>>
>>89908687
Sure, of course. But why are you mentioning that? And what were you trying to say on your previous post?
Why did you say I "don't get enough charge/discharge cycles".
>>
>>89908705
>lead acid batteries
And what kind of equipment would you need for that?
Can they generate 3000 or 5000 watts?
>>
>>89908494
>>89908687
I am pretty sure they are designed for backup power only, ie couple of charge /discharge cycles per year.
Not to cycle them every day.

If you cycle them every day they might not last very long.
>>
>>89908705
When I was a kid and vacationed in a off-grid mountain refuge in Tuscany, the setup was solar panels, a windmill on a tree and a whole room chock full of huge FIAMM lead acid batteries. You needed so many because they really don't like being discharged below 50%. Most people run Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, which are more resilient than Li-On but less energy dense.
>>
>>89908742
>And what were you trying to say on your previous post?
I'm not sure, I'm to tired
>>
>>89908780
They're advertised to 3500+ cycles to 80% capacity and 6000+ to 50%.

That means if I fully charged/discharged them every single day (probably not gonna happen), I would still have 80% of the battery 10 years from now.
>>
>>89908705
led acid will end up more expensive in a long run, because of low efficiency and low cycle count
>>89908091
just buy hybrid inverter
huawei, sma, victron if you want a good brand
goodwe, growatt, sungrow if you are cheap
>>
>>89909038
>just buy hybrid inverter
How do those work?
What kind of connection does it have between the inverter and battery?
Will I have power during a blackout?
>>
>>89909084
>Will I have power during a blackout?
Not him but to have power during blackouts you need a grid disconnect.
Else you would just be powering the neighborhood and potentially electrocuting the guy trying to fix the grid.

You could still power things during blackouts by plugging them directly into the battery, maybe via some extension leads.
Not as convenient but a whole lot cheaper so if blackouts only occur around once a year then I would probably just do that.
>>
>>89909172
What's stopping me from just doing this?

solar panels ----> battery ------> house
grid ---------------->
>>
>>89909038
>led acid will end up more expensive in a long run, because of low efficiency and low cycle count
That's what I wanted to know, thanks.
>>
>>89909199
Electricity flows in both directions, there are no arrows in real life. (unless you used a diode which isn't an option when talking grid power)
>>
>>89909275
I'm specifically talking about the Bluetti batteries, which take both solar and grid inputs.
No current can flow back.
>>
>>89909199
your neighbours will steal your electricity in a blackout and you will electrocute the electrician fixing shit.

And if you are in any developed country you will get a fucking big fine, or worse
>>
>>89909291
House input ok no problem.
just don't connect any output back to the house unless the bluetti or your house is prepared
>>
>>89909317
Not possible, see >>89909317

>>89909339
Why can't I get the grid connected to the battery, and the house running exclusively from the battery?
>>
>>89909380
Ups, I meant see >>89909291
>>
>>89909317
Power cannot flow back from the Bluetti batteries.
>>
>>89909084
>How do those work?
PV inverter with optional battery connection
>What kind of connection does it have between the inverter and battery?
Either HV battery connection that connects into an inverter DC bus or LV (~50V) battery that has a special port with a DCDC step-up converter
>Will I have power during a blackout?
There are 2 options: inverter has additional independent AC output and works like UPS or inverter is connected to relay that disconnects the grid (there also must be some kind of sensor for grid detection)
>>
>>89909380
>house running exclusively from the battery?
I doubt that's a good idea.
Its a whole lot of amps routed through one device.

How many electrical groups does your house have?
>>
>>89909380
is that what you diagram above meant?
i didn't understood those are suposed to be parallel.

Yeah, should be fine, just check that you never surpass the limits of the battery.
>>
>>89909446
>i didn't understood those are suposed to be parallel.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

>>89909444
>Its a whole lot of amps routed through one device.
They have options up to 5000 watts.
I barely use 3000 watts at all.
>>
>>89909530
>5000w and 3kwh for 5.5k euro
it is a scam anon, and if you are going to run all your electricity through them it will last 2-3 years max
>>
>>89909632
Multiple reviews online say otherwise.
How much is it supposed to cost?
>>
>>89908091
Ask /diy/
>>
>>89910257
Good idea, thanks.
>>
>>89908780
>>89908687
why are you even replying when you dont know jack shit of what is being talked about?

as >>89908817 says LiFePO4 batteries can literally be charged every single day for 10 years straight and only lose 20% of capacity

these are made for daily use,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery
>>
Can I DIY mine with LiIon cells from recycled laptop batteries?
I have a shitload of them...

>>89908091
If you have the money, do it.
Incoming times will be rought for 6month to a year I think.
Except if Europe backpedal and remove Russia sanctions, and even then, it's gonna leave a mark on the economy and energy production.
>>
>>89908091
You cannot expect these things to power your house. They are thought to things like camping, or back up systems.

If you want to power your home with a battery, you will need something more like a Tesla Powerwall
>>
>>89911096
>you will need something more like a Tesla Powerwall
Which is exactly what these things are.
You can max these out up to 12,288Wh. I assure you you can run a house on that.
>>
>>89911181
They are nothing alike. A Tesla Powerwall gives you a warranty of unlimited discharge cycles for 10 years. In comparison, BLUETTI can reach max to 3500 discharge cycles.

If you try to use this thing as constant power source for your home, I bet you will destroy the cells soon enough.
>>
>>89911217
>max to 3500 discharge cycles
So, the same 10 years of use.
>>
>>89908091
Is it boomer of me to absolutely repulse at the sight of devices like this?
So much integrated and proprietary bullshit combined with modern manufacturing standards (which are rather low)
Completely dependent on the manufacturer is any one part goes wrong.
>>
>>89911343
What were you expecting?
You can build your batteries and inverters from scratch if you want.
>>
>>89911470
>What were you expecting?
Maybe people think twice before buying BS like this.
I get why it exists in that peeps want an all in one solution and that comes with being built the way it is but Jesus it takes alot of trust to want to blow hundreds if not thousands on such a device
>>
>>89911558
It has 4 years warranty. And it's not like you can't ask for repairs after that.
You could say the same about cars. It's all proprietary bullshit, but much more expensive.
>>
>>89911593
>You could say the same about cars. It's all proprietary bullshit, but much more expensive.
But I'm not necessarily dependent on the manufacturer.
I can get aftermarket parts just as much as I can get OEM.
Toyota doesn't give a dick about my Previa anymore, yet I can keep it rolling regardless.
>>
anything with the maker name in ALL CAPS is cheap chinkshit
>>
>>89911675
That is true, but up to an extent.
The exact same can be said about these products.
If a part fails, no one is stopping you from buying OEM. It's all just simple electronics after all.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.