[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: developers.png (42 KB, 300x225)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
https://christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
https://learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
>>>/adv/job
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
blind 75 or grind 75 on
https://neetcode.io/
https://blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
https://www.careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
https://levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
https://pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx (embed)

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
https://www.youtube.com/c/EngineeringwithUtsav
>>
Check out this code from my 1yoe female coworker, I'm an intern and I could see how shit this was written. She also committed other code where she made something nullable and that broke the build on the latest dev branch. Idk how it got merged to dev. Here's the code in C#:

PaymentTransactionOther dbPaymentTransactionOther_NotAccrued =
(PaymentTransactionOthers.Any(x =>
x.PaymentOtherTypeId == PaymentOtherType.VacationPay && x.IsAccrued != true))
? PaymentTransactionOthers.Single(x =>
x.PaymentOtherTypeId == PaymentOtherType.VacationPay &&
x.IsAccrued != true)
: null;
>>
>>88759174
wtf that looks like my code
>>
>>88759169
>this pic
>not "Tech Wankers General"
Such a missed opportunity that you should probably KYS out of shame.
>>
Got a job interview with a big European airline. Everything was going smooth, and they gave me the up thumb.

And then, came their conditions
>You might only work with a laptop provided by them. Only that one laptop.
>You must provide proof of all the places you have worked on the last 10 years
I am freelance, so that might be about 50 places
>You must provide proof of all the places you have lived in the last 10 years

I will probably refuse the offer. Even the salary is not very high.
>>
>>88759419
The laptop isn't a big deal (who the fuck would use their personal computer for work anyway), but the rest seems absolutely mental.
>>
>>88759419
Refuse if you don't need it.
>>88759445
>who the fuck would use their personal computer for work anyway
I did for a year, kek. Super comfy.
>>
>>88759392
u are one stupid coomer, watch the vid of him saying developers
>>
>>88759565
>specifically say "this pic"
>"hurr durr watch the vid"
And you are one just stupid.
>>
>>88759445
>who the fuck would use their personal computer for work anyway
I have done it for 10 years. It is literally the best.
>>
>>88759586
the pic is from a vid u coomer
>>
>>88759701
I wish I could use a macbook pro instead of the piece of shit xps 15 with a 3050ti I got for work. this shit has max 4 hours battery life. macbook has at least 15
>>
>>88759499
>>88759701
I wouldn't want work shit to pollute my actual personal computer. It's not like I don't have a bunch of 4chan tabs open on my actual desktop everyday during work.
>>
>>88759174
>1yoe female coworker
apply corrective sex and continue on
>>
>job interview delayed
pls i need a job, student loan payments restart in december
>>
With all of the people in these tech worker threads supposedly making $100k+ I hope you live in $1m+ homes
>>
>>88760016
even if I made 300k I would rent
>>
>>88760163
Why? Renting is terrible
>>
>>88760016
Sir the rule for living within your means is supposed to be 1/3. Salary should be 1/3 of total home cost.
>>
>>88760229
It's different for you - you're a terrible tenant that has deserved everything your landlords did to you.
>>
>>88759419
The laptop isn't a big deal, just hook that thing up to a dock. But the 10 years of residence and work history with a shitty offer? Fuck them.
>>
>>88760016
Do you think devs are lying about 6 fig comp?
>>
>>88760273
>Sir the rule for living within your means is supposed to be 1/3. Salary should be 1/3 of total home cost.
Even that is pushing it. I was making 70 and bought a house for 160. Paid off in less than 10 years.
>>
>>88760016
>$1m+ homes
Horrible waste of money. Just get a nice single family home in a good neighborhood.
>>
Canadabros, how many of you have a 6 figure salary? Why is this shithole so poor?
>>
>>88759169
lads im cramming for the aws sysops exam, but fuck im burnt out. Help me keep going
>>
>>88760229
its comfy knowing ur 900 sqft apartment that only you live in is not a liability and if any issues happen, u just call buliding maintenance
>>
File: 1663882608199.gif (1.59 MB, 267x200)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB GIF
is there such thing as an ats-wide blacklist?

had an awful run in with a recruiter last week: refused to give a salary range, remote position was actually in office, she got my name completely wrong and was 10 minutes late

i cut the interview short and sent an email saying i never want to be contacted by them again.

ever since, i havent received a single approval. i have had one rejection, and an hr person reached out to schedule an intro call days ago and i havent heard anything.

i also received a rejection after an intro call i had. i asked for feedback (since thats never happened to me) and ive been ghosted for almost a week

did this fucking bitch recruiter put me on some sort of greenhouse or lever or workday blacklist? i've tried to search around and found nothing.

it's not like i'm a junior either: 7yoe and my positive response rate was over 50% a few weeks ago
>>
>>88759419
>>88759419
>You might only work with a laptop provided by them. Only that one laptop.
This is very normal. I have never had to use my personal laptop. In fact using personal devices is frowned upon.

>You must provide proof of all the places you have worked on the last 10 years
>You must provide proof of all the places you have lived in the last 10 years
This is also normal if you want a an aviation job. I'm guessing this check is because you might have to go airside for your job which is a highly restricted area.
>>
File: 8d4.gif (1.37 MB, 440x404)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>88759169
I see many developers and programmers here, but I haven't seen a lot of people in sysadmin or help desk IT stuff. Tell me your experience, please!
>>
>get first real job
>work environment is really nice
>work is stress free
>benefits is hella expensive and shit
>pay is bad
:/

I don't want to risk moving since I'm at a part of my life where I can actually live off my pay and feel comfortable doing so but still. It wouldn't be as bad if I didn't get shafted by the benefits and income tax.
>>
>>88760857
>not wanting responsibility over where you fucking live
why are rentcucks like this
>>
>>88759174
>Idk how it got merged to dev

someone approved a PR without actually looking at the code

there's nothing really wrong with this code other than it should be refactored a bit e.g.

let VacationPayNotAccrued = PaymentTransactionOthers.Single(
x => x.PaymentOtherTypeId == PaymentOtherType.VacationPay && !x.IsAccrued
) || null

Not sure which trash language your company uses. Also would recommend not getting in the habit of bashing your coworkers, you're a 0 YOE intern shitter, sounds like you're just jealous someone has an actual job.
>>
>>88760757
how much yoe u got and how much u make
>>
>>88760335
no, its public info. my dad is working 2 jobs at the same time, 130k each, 20 year exp as a sql monkey. hes a boomer kek, only thing he is good at with tech is sql.
>>
>>88760862
possible
>>
>>88760981
thank u anon I will use ur code and add this to code review
>>
>>88760862
>>88761258
I will take this advice and always be polite to recruiters from now on even if they bullshit me.
>>
trying to break into the industry with anything other than help desk is killing me
>>
>>88759733
Everytime that I have done it, i have made another different account in my OS, just to work, to avoid those situations

>>88760870
>I'm guessing this check is because you might have to go airside for your job which is a highly restricted area.
Nope. I am building them a fucking website
>>
>>88760981
Extract method would be the best refactor in this case I think
>>
>>88761382

uhh… why write more code for a simple one liner?
>>
>>88761402
>what's legibility
>>
File: 1661988323128374.jpg (96 KB, 778x658)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
I hate NIMgers.

Also, is it possible to sue the corpos for false advertisement with regard to WFH?
>>
>>88759706
he got the reference, that particular frame just looks like he's making a wanking gesture
>>
>>88761510
If it's in your contract, sure.
>>
File: AWS CCP.png (32 KB, 300x300)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>88759169
holy moly bros, a few threads ago I asked if one day of study would be enough for AWS CCP and someone convinced me to delay the test. So I did delay the test but then had a bunch of bullshit to do for work and my parents came to visit right afterward so I ended up still only having a day (and a half) to study lmao. I passed today (right on time for a career fair tomorrow) but holy fuck that was a grind, and statistically speaking I must have been lucky on my guesswork. I would recommend at least four days of studying for this one.
Also I had to pay $7.50 for parking.

>>88760842
>Me in like six months
May the Rockstars and Mountain Dew Code Reds guide you forward.
>>
>>88761548
bro you know that shit is literally the bottom barrel of aws certs, basically a pulse check that you recognize what some services are called

why would you even bother getting it
>>
>>88761546
shit, let me check
>>
File: 1652962570207.png (22 KB, 971x249)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
How competent is the average big tech software engineer?
>>
>>88761546
ok, I guess I can negotiate with them about it while looking for other jobs
>>
>>88761594
I'm going to a career fair tomorrow and Amazon/AWS is top of my list and I don't have anything to show them for cloud-related experience so I figured I'd get this real quick to show them I'm at least doing the bare minimum to get a job there. Also it's required for the degree I'm going for, I just ended up getting it early.
>>
>>88759169
Feeling panicked that I won't be able to find a job lads, even worse, I fear I may be going straight to NEET bucks in a few weeks.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
I'm a worker sir!
>>
Bald head!
>>
File: sadman.jpg (8 KB, 276x183)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>tfw already wrote all the code but too tired to fill out the form to open a PR
>>
>we specialize in developing modern data storage and management solutions for economical storage, access and protection long-term

>Salary $125,000 - $160,000 per year
>Remote

>>88762430
you forgot you need to read the docs on the new process first
>>
>>88760424
>>88760424
>$1m+ homes
>Horrible waste of money. Just get a nice single family home in a good neighborhood.
The shitty single family homes around me are between 800k and 2mill :'(
I'm on $130k and can't bring myself to spend that amount of money on a meh house
>>
>>88761690
don't worry, you will find a job eventually. Just keep working on your portfolio.
>>
>>88761374
>Nope. I am building them a fucking website
Lol yeah nah that's a bit over the top then
>>
>>88761653
Cloud computing at wgu?
>>
Anyone here working 2 or more jobs? Im in Canada and wondering if I can get a second job (not fte obviously since im already FTE). Currently making 105k in Toronto and its hell
>>
>>88759174
/marked/
>>
>>88761548
gg lol that was me
>>
>>88760981
>Not sure which trash language your company uses.
Looks like C#
>>
>>88739746

last thread. yall nigga really ain't link to last thread I'm tryna get paid and yall playin'

Siri, Google where da jobs at
>>
>>88762673
Red works at Lowes, Walmart, and Home Depot
>>
>>88762673
Move in with your parents vaxie
>>
>>88761653
>I'm going to a career fair tomorrow and Amazon/AWS is top of my list and I don't have anything to show them for cloud-related experience so I figured I'd get this real quick to show them I'm at least doing the bare minimum to get a job there.
Ugh, Amazon are pretty terrible. They have massive engineer turnover, and are getting desperate for warm bodies in the US.
>Also it's required for the degree I'm going for, I just ended up getting it early.
That's a sensible reason for doing it, but I wonder why a degree would require a stupid professional certification. You are going to somewhere better than a trade school, yes?
>>
File: da_fence.jpg (37 KB, 610x420)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
new grad here, got an offer from a defense contractor, any anons have experience working at one? My biggest concern is how I'd explain my work xp on my resume when I job hop since it's le top secret
>>
File: 21997330.png (26 KB, 200x202)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>meeting at 9pm as usual
This started during covid since everyone was staying at home to save grandma and it's still going on. Will it ever change?
>>
>>88763058
Yes, I worked at one of the companies in that pic... though some of them are just government agencies/departments.
>how I'd explain my work xp on my resume when I job hop since it's le top secret
Lol, most of it's not. After a couple years, you WILL get very good at learning how to write your resume in an interesting but still unclassified way. Also, whichever agency you work for (or is your customer) will probably require you to submit your resume for classification review on a secure network before they say you can publish it online.
>>
>>88761548
Grats. This you?
>>
>>88763106
that's a relief, ppl on Blind were talking bs about how hard it is to job hop from one, the work honestly seems cool but glassdoor/levels say salary barely breaks 200k even at staff level
>>
>>88763058
It doesn't matter. We're all going to die from nuclear war in the next two years anyway, at least maybe some of your code will play in role in our demise.
>>
>>88763220
highly unlikely considering im ridin for biden
>>
>>88763178
Yes, pay is lower in defense... precisely because the work is more interesting, typically. It's almost like game devs in that sense... there will always be people looking to work on jets and missiles and tanks and shit.
>>
>>88763339
Yeah I love it when my code is used to drone strike a family eating dinner on the other side of the world.
>>
>>88759169
Steve Ballmer Developers Music Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRm0NDo1CiY
>>
>>88763339
good analogy

>>88763367
r u related to any vets? ur work could save an american soldier's life
>>
>>88763388
>r u related to any vets? ur work could save an american soldier's life
Who wouldn't want their code saving the life of someone who murders children for israel. Where do I sign up?
>>
>>88763407
1) fuck israel 2) don't hate the player hate the game
>>
>>88760927
Frick off it jannies
>>
>>88759174
I wrote code drunk and now my company's got error messages like "Sneed my feed" and "Gonads and strife"
>>
File: 1596063547313.jpg (675 KB, 828x791)
675 KB
675 KB JPG
>>88759169
>permanent wfh
>do maybe a few hours of actual work throughout the week
>coworkers think I'm a computer god when all I do is ssh in and restart apache once in a while
>$150k+stock+benefits
>>
>>88763646

Jelly

I have worked maybe 4 hours this week. And I live in a 3rd world country and my pay is shit.
>>
>>88763646
I work 9 hours a day and make half of most people
>>
What jobs can I apply to after help desk hell?
>>
>>88763367
Yeah I love it when my rope is used to tie up a kidnapping victim

Yeah I love it when my kitchen knife is used to stab someone

Yeah I love it when my car is used to plow into a crowd
>>
>>88763686
>>88763657
Nobody cares, Pajeet
>>
File: friendly HR advice.jpg (45 KB, 518x842)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>88760862
Yes.
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1663894770555003.webm
>>
>>88763735
yes, a rope is the same as a billion dollar killing machine
>>
>>88763686
i work 8 hours a week and make more than my relatives do full time after 40 years
>>
>>88763802
i wipe my own ass
>>
>>88763842
waste of money
>>
>>88759174
anybody doing ternary in a ternary should get a paddling and retake their Bootcamp class
>>
>>88761594
Yet some retard at my work has spent a year preparing.
>>
When are they going to fire 99% of people worldwide and keep the 1%(me)?
>>
>>88764017
two more weeks
>>
>>88764034
I hope so
>>
>>88763777
she needs to have her opinions corrected
>>
I work at a FANG company and I spent Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday doing nothing.
Today I did some work.

How likely is it for any one to catch on or care?
>>
>>88760862
OH NO NO NOOOO
>>
>>88763686
Same here, except I work 10-11 hour days counting the 1hr 10m commute each way.
>>
Starting to hate our analyst/SCRUM master, she is always nagging us to say what we are doing and stating our progress and it really gets on my nerves.
Lately I have been putting in more effort and getting my tasks done on time, sometimes with time to spare and when that happens I have to make up some bullshit so she won't try to push more tasks on me. Yesterday was one such case where I made something up and a few minutes later ended up fixing bugs and helping the new hires, despite all of that she went off at me during a meeting in front of the new hires,
>anon you totally bullshited about that
And yet I kept going back and forth to help OUR FUCKING TEAM YOU BITCH. Seems if I am not working on whatever is written in the trello then thats wasting time/slacking off, I fix so much stuff even in our codebase and yet she doesn't care, would rather have garbage code thats barely reusable as long as it is pushed fast.
Oh and speaking of our codebase I have been set back by it so many FREAKING TIMES and had to waste time explaining to the analyst that shit is not working as intended and adding that feature to our codebase, refactoring and testing would take even longer but
>ALRIGHT DON'T GET TANGLED ANON WE GOTTA ADVANCE
how about you tell management to stop taking so many freaking projects? And while we are at it to stop this retarded ass system of working on x or y project on certain days ffs, we end up disregarding the god damned days just to meet our deadlines, we would push out projects so much faster if we worked on one project at a time
>>
>>88761248
sounds comfy. I wish I could get really good at one thing and just do that but instead im a “fullstack developer” that also has to write shitloads of terraform and ci yaml bullshit
>>
>>88764295
Scrum masters are beneath you. Don't take any shit from them. They're also pointless, so you should work somewhere that doesn't have them
>>
>>88759169
SPYING SPYING SPYING SPYING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKiAaDA0n7k

Now on tech workers
>>
File: anime-girl.png (2.25 MB, 953x1482)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB PNG
What are the implications of doing an okay effort at your 6 figure sub-FAANG job, not being an overachiever yet not a slacker either, while the years pass by in a blur and you're waiting for your life to start?
>>
>>88764379
dont bring me down like this. were gonna make it
>>
>>88764379
Me but I'm not making 6 figures
>>
>>88764379
I had a coworker who did this. He wound up turning gay and eventually got HIV.
>>
>>88764363
My opinion of her wouldn't be so negative if she had least remembered more about designing systems, she has a freakint analyst degree and struggles to make diagrams, it was a miracle she produced a model for our last project (which I had to modify at first and later update since she couldn't even be arsed to do that). But really, my biggest issue is how she keeps breathing on my neck, holy shit leave me alone you micromamaging cunt. I thought it was just me but talking with another coworker I found out he has the exact same issue.
>>
>>88764295
non technical scrum masters are so fucking useless. ideally some mid level dev should be the designated scrum master. or the team lead. they actually know how programming works. how many years has than woman been a scrum master? what degree does she have? how old is she? just curious. my scrum master is kind of the same. the nigger wont make a tech debt work item
>>
>>88764295
Layoffs incoming
>>
>>88764443
>her
>>88764443
>she
>>88764443
>she
>>88764443
>she
>>88764443
>she
>>88764443
>she
>>88764443
>cunt

Do I need to keep doing this
>>
>>88764447
there's no use for that type of language, lady
>>
>>88764538
I too can make up stories about the nonexistent females that live in my head.
>>
>>88764447
>>88764447
She is 32, I THINK she has a system analyst degree and had enough experience to qualify as a senior when she started here. As far as I know she doesn't code and last year she needed constant help from a coworker while doing a python course (ffs I suck at coding, hadn't coded in months and I picked up python immediately).
We were once trying to draw an entity relationship diagram and I asked her which notation should we use for a one to many relationship, she looked dumbfounded and suggested an infinity symbol
Lastly I feel as if she can't understand half of what I say when I explain quirks or bugs to her, so I have to resort to examples.
Speaking of that, it is frustrating since she is quick to trust someone else, earlier this week there was an issue which came from the codebase, explained AND SHOWED it to her in detail and she agrees, next day the new hire insists he fixed it (he is frontend FFS, he doesn't even touch backend's code) and the analyst is instantly convinced. Didn't have the time or energy to argue so I let it pass. Guess what was found during testing the next fucking day
>>
How many people here actually have a full time Scrum Master in their org?
>>
>>88761339
Yeah got a cs degree and did helpdesk for 3 years. It helps you learn alot of useful things to coding like support and working with people. Finally got a dev role , side projects on resume helped
>>
>>88764538
What? As if some of my male coworkers weren't worse than her. Stubborn old farts who keep interrupting you mid sentence or middle aged fucks who get all uppity if you DARE to even attempt good practicws with databases.
I'm desperate to find a job elsewhere because I can't take the amount of work they push on us, irritating coworkers and the biggest of all: shit organization
>>
>>88761339
ignore help desk you fucking retard. What is it that you want to do? Then go do that. Get the certs, degrees, projects and do that.
>>
>>88764719
Almost all teams at my last company had them. I don't think any team at my current company have them. It's definitely better without them. Most pointless job in the industry. They should all be laid off and never rehired.
>>
>>88764753
Just care less and do your shit and be prepared to find another job if it comes to it.
>>
>>88764849
I don't get why everyone goes crazy over agile methodologies, anytime a dev brings them up they don't say anything positive about it. Not to mention that a lot of the time these methodologies are implemented in a half assed way.
>>
>>88764926
Yeah is what I am trying to do, but damn if getting chewed out despite doing my damn job doesn't feel awful.
>>
>>88764719
I do and they're completely worthless. In fact, they just schedule extra meetings just to waste time.
>>
>>88760757

I work at IBM and I earn $100,800 per anum working 3-5h a day as a consultant after one year, started at $90k.
>>
man, looking at scrum master salaries is eye opening
how the fuck are they anywhere close to dev salaries?
>>
>>88764719
I had a scrum master. Nice guy, but he would talk on and on forever. For example, he would book meetings about the logarithmic interpretation of story points and the meeting would go on for 4-5 hours and contain digressions to philosophy and the natural sciences. It gave my team lead PTSD, especially when they had meetings at 10-11 PM
>>
as much shit as they get I find working with Indians >>>>>>> chosen people > american asian

Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_20211220_171722_677.jpg (113 KB, 828x1067)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>88759169
https://youtu.be/qXXQFw-Vnxg

Is this what it's really like to be a tech worker? What kind of degree or certs do I need and how much is the pay?
>>
i swear to god if i get one more email from this incompetent nonce asking me to translate vendor documentation and do his job, i'm going to scream
>>
>>88765244
Do you really turn into a black girl on your first day of help desk?
>>
File: file.png (72 KB, 832x543)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>88762632
Yep

>>88763039
>Ugh, Amazon are pretty terrible. They have massive engineer turnover, and are getting desperate for warm bodies in the US.
Yeah I've heard that but I haven't found any other company that I sort of meet the qualifications for that pays like this. If it comes down to it I could just quit (I think, does it depend on the contract?) lol.

>>88762912
ty it was good advice

>>88763125
yeah

>>88763058
Unless you're doing some super spook shit you can say what you do so long as you don't go into detail. You workplace will have a security classification guide that says specifically what you can and can't say about what you do. Well it's supposed to but sometimes classification authorities just don't give enough of a fuck to hand it off to your office.
>>
got hired as a devops engineer
what do these guys do?
>>
>>88765294
Does Amazon ask leetcode questions for that role?
>>
appsec engineer here - when will shit tier devs stop telling me that vulnerabilities cant be exploited and then i provide a proof of concept and they legitimately don't care to read the things I provide

>writeup
>proof of concept
>impact statement
>the literal fix - just fucking implement it i did your job for you writing your shit code better

endrant
>>
>>88765367
firewall will take care of it, boomer
stop telling me what to do
>>
File: mikowaki.jpg (558 KB, 2480x3507)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
>>88764379
Idk, but a decent start would be to not let work be your life. I realize it's a bit hard to do that nowadays though.
>>
>>88765310
It's not a programming role so probably not. I hope not.
>>
>>88765367
Vulnerabilities make production exciting.
>>
>>88765389
Firewall didn't take care of shit - simply a misconfig

only telling you what to do if you're shit tier
>>
>>88765294
Nice, I thought about doing that one. I went with network engineering instead
>>
>>88765432
well known company too - rent a dev from asia
>>
Is David's book any good?
>>
>>88763058
im in this boat too
now im doomed to low six figure for eternity
>>
>>88760862
This is why everyone, and I mean everyone, needs to see the video of that crazy HR bitch. You have to understand that they're all worthless fucking rats that will filter you for whatever reason and then tell their rat friends to do the same.
>>
>>88759174
I work in a proprietary language that only has ternary if else functions and the code looks like that
>>
>>88765604
>proprietary language
jesus fucking christ why does this still exist anywhere in the world
>>
Anyone here work in the game industry? How much should you expect for entry level or mid level roles?
>>
>>88765367
give 2 examples of the msot impactful vulnerablity and smallest code prolem
>>
>>88764724
How many applications did you send out anon? I've sent out 60 so far and didn't even get a whisper.
>>
>>88765604
Mumps?
>>
File: 1663780388888.gif (1.15 MB, 438x298)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB GIF
>>88765604
>I work in a proprietary language that only has ternary if else functions and the code looks like that
>>
Should I try to job hop at 1 yoe? Making 170k as new grad and want to reach upper 200s
>>
>>88765863
you should be making 300k tc at 1 yoe, yes
>>
File: pep.jpg (10 KB, 320x240)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>88765889
>>
>>88765964
theyre fucking with you

there are new grads that earn almost 200k, but they're the 0.1% that work for magma or hft
>>
this thread is full of it jannies too
>>
>>88766013
I work at amazon and I'm talking about jumping for external payband at 1yoe to another big tech or unicorn. Amazon pays better than joe's crabshack but falls behind other fagman.

300k at 1yoe is possible with uplevel and external hire. internal level will only get you 250s and promotion can take 2-3yr
>>
>>88760757
work at AWS right out of college, after 2.5 years i'm approaching 200k Canadabux
>>
>>88765863
170k is already pretty high for a new grad. You should always try to job-hop for a higher salary, but don't be surprised if you can't find anything better with how the industry is right now.
>>
>>88766106
how much of that is salary?
>>
>>88763039
>Ugh, Amazon are pretty terrible. They have massive engineer turnover, and are getting desperate for warm bodies in the US.
cope, turnover isn't even that bad and they're desperate for bodies because they're growing so fucking fast

t. L5 SDE at AWS
>>
>>88766120
150 is base rest is stock
>>
>>88760862
Very unlikely. Potential of lawsuit is way too high. Also recruiters are cutthroat as fuck. I can't see them passing along your personal info to do the other company a favor. They will put you on their blacklist. These recruiting firms have a fuck load of shell companies to avoid the government from asking too many questions about temporary contractors doing permanent roles. Check your applications to see if it is actually the same company.
>>
>>88766135
amazon sucks. no paternity leave under a year, measly 401k match that takes 3 years to vest meanwhile fb/meta both have matches going up to 10k... mid tier health insurance that warehouse employees get...

only good thing is theyll pass anyone with a cs degree and pulse and get you the experience to break into respectable companies like google, databricks, and stripe
>>
So everyone and their mother is just applying to these, right? Every remote opening for these scrum roles have over 200 applicants.
>>
>>88766262
>take pat/mat leave
>get pipped
Classic Amazon
>>
>>88766355
>take mat/pat leave
you dont even get leave if you been there less than a year.

but yeah if you been there a year youll just get pipped after anyways unless youre a l6
>>
>22 person company
>i'm the only programmer

anyone else in this situation? it's not so bad desu because no one knows how long anything should take. i'm concerned when we hire someone new (which i'll have control of) they'll be too productive.
>>
>>88759169
Doing the CS50x course and I feel like I've got the reading comprehension of a fucking two year old Anons.
As I've learnt SQL I know what to do with it, making a Scratch project for the Week 0 Problem set and I've sank 6-7 hours(?) now on a Shitpost where I don't know if I've met
>Your project must use at least one conditional, at least one loop, and at least one variable.
Mainly because I don't know what'd define a variable in this case, would it be a score? Would it be a name being stored into memory? I don't know. I think I have a loop but I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure I have a conditional as I have menu buttons with IF statements.
Your project must use at least one custom block that you have made yourself (via Make a Block), which must take at least one input.
In terms of Custom blocks can I just take a block of code like a WITH Clause in SQL and that be considered as a custom block? or do I need to have it as a IF [Input] is Pressed do Y?
REEEE I fucking hate these instructions already.
>>
>>88765863
that is insane to me working as a new grad for 70k
>>
File: 1651327184222.png (4 KB, 428x45)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>88766303
that's nothing. i think it passed 1K by the time the listing ended
>>
>>88766566
it's below average in usa. meta/google/netflix will pay over 200k and most unicorns
>>
>>88765513

I prefer Solomon.
>>
>>88766654
i feel like that's not true. maybe if you're in silicon valley or something, but most new grads around here (midwest) make ~80k.
>>
>>88766654
meta/google/netflix definitely do not pay $200k on average to new grads anywhere in the US.
>>
>he's not making $500k base salary as a new grad
>>
>>88767366
In 2022/23 yes they absolutely do. Even 2023 amazon is paying 200k in bay area/nyc.
>but muh base only
Nice try dipshit
>>88767290
Yeah I'm talking in terms of big tech amazon pays shit for new grad but it's the easiest one to get into.
>>
>>88767456
Bullshit. Post a source for this or fuck off.
>>
>>88767520
levels.fyi
>>
>>88767533
>levels.fyi
Cool, you're full of shit then.
>>
>>88767554
>shows some whackass offer with no bonus. you really think google gives no bonus lmao?
>>
>>88767586
Yes. Google frequently doesn't give bonuses to new grad L3s. And when they do they're 4-digits anyway.
>>
Anons, the real question is do I put school projects on my GitHub? Not my Resume just my GitHub.
>>
>>88767622
Sure. No reason not to. I wouldn't pin them on your github profile but you don't need to fucking hide them
>>
>>88767612
no lmao my friend is at google right now with 215k tc and all it took was a couple unicorn offers. amazon does no negotiation even with a hft offer. another guy got 250k at meta with citadel offer. literally maxed the payband. amaozn is shit tier in terms of pay and showing me some fake offer or canadian inputting his salary as usa wont change that amazon is the only faang not paying 200k+ to new grads
>>
>>88767646
>I have a single unconfirmable anecdote therefore all collected data is wrong and I am the expert on entry level salaries in tech
You are retarded and need to jump off a cliff.
>>
>>88767660
>all entry level
lmao just sort by highest on levels.fyi and you'll see 0 yoe L3 hitting 270k which btw is just as fake as your "140k". not my fault you refuse to believe your worth like so many other software engineer slaving away for internal promo while making 70k less than the external hire with same (or less) responsibility
>>
Is there a way to search jobs that use greenhouse for applications?
>>
>>88767712
>not my fault you refuse to believe your worth
I'm not a fresh grad and I make way more than that. You're delusional if you think new grads are getting 200k on average though. I figured maybe facebook might reach around a 200k average for new grads just because of how much facebook needs to pay just to convince people to work there, but nope, they don't either. Not like they're hiring at all anyway.
>>
File: 1663145498756586.jpg (73 KB, 512x448)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>open thread because I want to complain about my shitty job
>It's full of retarded neets/zoomer students arguing about fake larp numbers again
>>
>>88767750
I really need to get into the Stable diffusion business.
>>
>>88767750
not fake. know your worth.
>>
>>88767750
>frogposter refuses to contribute to thread because other people are in the thread
Sounds about right
>>
File: 1634009721416.jpg (192 KB, 1024x836)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>during interview
>what do you do when you are not working?
Tech bros...
>>
>>88769209
>"None of your business."
>>
File: 1663924237572.png (123 KB, 400x241)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>1 year employed, first job
>already burned out being a cloud native microservice software engineer
>europoor salary
Any comfy tech jobs?
>>
>>88769247
You will never be a real engineer.
>>
>>88763646
You're the government? S.dot? Nsa? Merck.ai~~~~
>>
File: 1663924980123.gif (2.03 MB, 640x360)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB GIF
>>88769314
I don't want to work pay check to pay check and have to care about having a career.
Average rent is 1400 euros and there is a housing shortage.
>>
>>88763646
replace your job with a script and get job #2.
>>
what the fuck? i seriously hauled my ass in the best university in my country to get a 3.6 gpa and the best offer i'm getting after graduation is $600 a month??? what did i spend those 4 fucking years for?
>>
>>88769591
>3.6 gpa
Anon...
>>
File: cabin.jpg (962 KB, 1320x746)
962 KB
962 KB JPG
>>88769381
move to the countryside and work remotely
>>
File: 1663927926004.gif (876 KB, 620x349)
876 KB
876 KB GIF
>>88769748
I do live in the country side remotely. It isn't any cheaper here. No public transportation either.
Don't own a car either as first time car insurance would cost me 3k-4k euros and the car itself 3k or more with expenses and tax. That's 6 months of salary.
>>
>>88769591
Stop living in a shithole
>>
>>88766106
How was interview. How much prep for you do?
>>
I accidentally fucked production again. How to prevent myself and others from such accidents? Since I'm new, anything I'll want to introduce will have to be not too annoying for the other guys used to having root on all machines and etc.
>>
File: 1663558060041170m.jpg (71 KB, 1024x683)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>88761653
Yo shill come up with a new script, just saw this one last week.
>>
>>88769209
Just make something up ya sperg. Tell them you like to fish or go on hikes. Most basic normie shit, you're not in competition with ppl for most interesting lives. They don't even really care what your answer is they just want to make sure you're not so socially retarded that you can answer such a simple non question.
>>
>>88766546
Ethiopian Jew mentality
>>
How does someone get a help desk job? I have a CCNA and 5 years of customer service experience but after about 150 job applications I have not been responded to once. These jobs pay the same as restaurant jobs so I have a hard time imagining there is significant competition. Who is getting called for an interview, exactly? I don't have a college degree but I'm still kind of baffled by this.
>>
>>88760870
>In fact using personal devices is frowned upon.

ever heard of this exciting new technology called virtual machines? Its absolutely fine to remote into their machines from a personal device, and this is the set up I'd guess 90%+ of big enterprises have for WFH arrangements
>>
>>88770319
better SDLC, unit tests, AB tests, regression tests, linting, peer reviews and not being stupid
>>
What's the current status, is it hard or easy to get a (decent) job as a programmer?
>>
>>88771633
easy (4me)
>>
File: cdprojekt.jpg (69 KB, 799x341)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
do I reach out?
>>
>>88770851
if you're not getting interviews its because your resume is shit. you need a professional to tailor it to the software the HR roasties use to filter the thousands of resumes they get.
>>
>>88771757
>he wants to be a game dev
>he wants to be a game dev IN POLAND
point at him and laugh
>>
File: 1520037689878.png (61 KB, 762x754)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>88770425
I told them I watch anime and video games. Then they asked me whats the title of my most recent anime. Proceeded to blurt out Girls Und Panzer. He googled and the only comment was "Wow this anime pretty old." Yeah haha...

Yup, its over for me bros.
>>
>>88772001
Did you tell him about the das Finale movies?
>>
>>88769566
Already done actually... I also do part time web3 dev work for a well-known DAO, making an extra $80k or so / year
>>
File: 1663854373682682.png (238 KB, 350x422)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
did next to nothing this week
>>
File: 1663941501592.jpg (13 KB, 176x171)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
got (gently) reprimanded today because my comments are too informal
>>
>>88772572
That's me every week.
>>
>>88772621
How informal is informal?
>>
>>88772621
The codebase isn't your personal blog, anon.
>>
>>88772685
Just a lot of memes. Someone had an extra variable and asked "Does this sneed to be here"? Then another time a teammate referenced an outside source so instead of asking them to add a link, I asked them to "link it up like Pooh Shiesty and Spottemgottem." Yeah, I get that it's informal, but it's light-hearted and keeps the overall mood in good spirits.
>>
>>88770340
I was about to tell you to take your meds but then I remembered you're probably referring to the post I made last week where I wanted to go to a different career fair that was essentially the same as the above post except also asking about my chance of passing an exam. I was unable to go because of work.
>>
>>88772117
I did say the reason it being a new movie just released this year. I still don't know why I mentioned Girls Und Panzer as I watched Jojo Battle Battle Tendency yesterday.
>>
Is learning Docker essential?
>>
>>88773466
There's no point learning it unless you need to use it, but if you're working somewhere that doesn't use it, then I'd be a bit concerned.
>>
>>88760273
wtf
> be in oslo
> around 70k usd salary at 2 yoe
> 32% tax at that salary. so $43k post-tax
> expensive food, 2x as expensive gas as normal countries, tons of small taxes and fees everywhere
> a house with separate bedroom is 500k
i think i have to move. at least out of Oslo, maybe abroad
>>
>>88759733
>I wouldn't want work shit to pollute my actual personal computer.
can't into whonix, huh
>>
>>88773703
That's happening everywhere, anon, sorry to burst your bubble. You're honestly better off in Oslo. Just because you hear about those absurd Silicon Valley salaries, doesn't mean their lives are better off. Everything else scales, so if they are making double, their houses cost $1m+. Then they have to pay for medical insurance and taxes are pretty high in California.
>>
>>88772625
everyone every week.

>make minor change that requires half hour of paperwork and code review

>see, we're doing stuff boss
>>
>>88773703
become WFH essential and live in cheaper area
>>
>boss wants me to report on progress weekly and say what I got planned for next week
>can't hop yet, it's barely been 6 months
What do bros
>>
Threadly fuck Microsoft teams post.
>>
>>88773968
>can't hop yet, it's barely been 6 months
That's what you think
>>
>>88774019
I mean I am already on it. But still...
>>
>>88773873
What kind of mega cope is this?
>>
doing sprint showcases with clients is just an excuse for them to ask the most retarded questions known to man.
>>
>>88773873
Can't you just work there for a couple years, stack money, then get a WFH job and move to some shithole?
>>
>>88773873
>they are making double
They're making at least triple, probably more
>their houses cost $1m+
True
>Then they have to pay for medical insurance
False. Provided by employer
>taxes are pretty high in California
They're higher than 32%, but not that much
>>
>>88774118
>They're making at least triple, probably more
Why do you lie on the internet? MAYBE a senior (5-10YOE) is making triple, but not a junior.
>>
>>88773968
>boss wants me to report on progress weekly and say what I got planned for next week
but this sounds perfectly reasonable; you can't bullshit once a week?
>>
>>88774295
I can, but before I didn't even have to do that. Annoying.
>>
>>88774238
>MAYBE a senior (5-10YOE) is making triple
Seniors are making easily quintuple or more
>but not a junior
2 YoE is considered the bottom of mid-level, not junior.
Pic related is what Facebook is offering to engineers with 2 YoE in california
>>
>>88774383
It's over, europoors...
>>
>>88773143
Is the HR rostie who put out that job posting looking for "Avengers Tier Python Developer" you sister?
>>
>>88773968
if you don't get any work done in a whole week you deserve to get fired
>>
File: 1658390063017.png (57 KB, 512x512)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
why didn't anyone tell me I need a github to apply for jobs?
>>
>>88774710
Nobody deserves anything and I sure as fuck don't want to do any actual work.
>>
File: eyeirr.jpg (177 KB, 800x600)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Besides medication what are the known possible causes for chronic brain/head zaps? Also what known illnesses/conditions physical or mental cause randomly occurring sensory pleasure probably at areas of peripheral nerves? Also burning aches and a feeling of vibration similar to a cell phone.

There was one day a tensionlike feeling that I should move my eye but I decided not to move it and instead keep my sight still. After that there was a snap like feeling and feeling of irritation in the eye after which I checked the mirror and my eye looked the same as the image (not an image of my eye). The irritation healed in a few days. Now weeks later the same eye has irritation/redness at the same spot as back then.

Any ideas?
>>
>>88774898
you got bofa
>>
>>88774898
Probably Schizophrenia, jackass
>>
Alright I am done with my weekly report. Hopefully my insectoid chink boss buys the bullshit.
>>
>>88774817
to apply? no

to win? perhaps
>>
>>88774817
>>88774987
Does it still help if I am in ITSec?
>>
>>88759169
im at giga corpo making bank but feeling souless and stagnated in my career. would working at a startup be fun?
>>
>>88774930
what's that
>>88774947
can you give me the source you base your assumption on
>>
>>88775018
No, not at all. I guarantee you - I volunteered at an accelerator for two years, worked at two scale-ups and recently been to a major EU event related to startups.

It's a fucking pozz fest. It's fun if you know the leadership or are related to them.
>>
>>88775052
but at least you learn a fuck ton, right?
>>
>>88775073
No. You're certainly not going to learn enough to compensate for all the bullshit.
>>
>>88775099
>work at giant enterprise software company
>get bored and feel like I'm coasting after nearly 10 years
>leave for a startup, 44% pay increase, have some fun, learn what it's like being a bigger fish in a smaller pond
>barely a year after leaving bigger company wants me back as a team lead, 30% more pay over the startup (94% pay increase from same company the year before).

I should have career hopped sooner
>>
>>88775124
You just got lucky. Unironically. This is survivor bias at it's finest.
>>
>>88775073
I learn a ton at faang, the scale gives you challenges you'll never see at startups
>>
I can't understand my Indian supervisor's accent.
>>
File: easy.jpg (71 KB, 960x768)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
I think the most valuable part of me being a new hire (and new to real work in the industry) so far is just that I know a good bit about C++ and about using visual studio.

Even on zoom calls we learn from each other a good bit, which is just nice.
>>
>>88775241
I can't understand my mentor's Indian accent. I'm learning exactly nothing.
>>
File: 1663953376360.png (374 KB, 512x512)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
How to stop getting crushes on female coworkers?
>>
>>88775575
I stopped getting crushes in general a long time ago. Now I just want to fuck them, which is obviously a problem in the. current climate.
>>
File: 1579907220233.jpg (784 KB, 1500x1875)
784 KB
784 KB JPG
hop at 2 or 3 years??
asking for a friend
>>
>>88775751
1. Unironically, people hop at less than that these days.
>>
File: unknown-122.png (1.77 MB, 851x1135)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
>haven't showered all week
Living the life
>>88775241
Half of my Indian coworkers I can't understand. Their mics are bad and they have thick accents, makes it difficult to work on anything together or to troubleshoot some issue they're getting
>>
>be me
>get job as java web dev (good morning sirs)
>job starts with 2 months+ training
>curriculum sucks ass, rushing all topics just to meet bogus deadlines
>trainer's code sucks balls because woman + pajeet + probably didn't pay attention to durgasoft, fucking cunt
>get an offer letter from local uni to be a research assistant for hardware assurance
>bail out of java completely

Feels good bros. For now I'm focusing on learning Mbed studio, but my hands are kinda itching to create a small website/program on the side just to make sure I retain this stuff. Only catch is that I don't want to go back to Java. Is C# a decent replacement to writing spring apps or is there something better?
>>
>>88775241
>>88775862
the worst part is not the accent but how poorly they are able to communicate through writing even. It is so frustrating how little information their writing conveys.
>>
>>88775862
your cat looks like my cat, tiger striped and such.

a good kitty
>>
>>88775751
6 months
>>
>>88776044
mmm 8 would be more white of you, a lot of jobs require training
>>
>>88774999
idk anon no one knows anything about that
>>
>>88759174
that code is what is known in the business as
>job security
it's unreadable, unnecessarily bloated, and has enough shifts to make you think something truly remarkable is happening
god bless her
see, it's not about writing stellar code, it's about keeping your job and getting fucking paid

take notes, neets
>>
>ace first leetcode question
>get second leetcode question correct EXCEPT their stupid test cases have a 10 second timer and apparently some of the test cases have a fuckload of data so it takes longer than 10 seconds to finish and they just fail
Fuck you amazon. I'm sorry I didn't use whatever matrix libraries you need to do this in a maximally efficient manner.
>>
>>88775751
I hopped at like 20 months last time, but the job was a bait & switch and I only stayed that long because they kept telling me it would change eventually...
>>
>wanted Friday to be easy and spend it on personal development stuff
>PM messages that we have to get a bunch of code merged in and built ASAP
>Code probably has to be rebased and fixed because no one makes their branches correctly
I hate enterprise so much it's unreal
>>
>>88776326
>>get second leetcode question correct EXCEPT their stupid test cases have a 10 second timer and apparently some of the test cases have a fuckload of data so it takes longer than 10 seconds to finish and they just fail
bro, this is the point of leetcode questions. You're supposed to be able to handle large amounts of data efficiently, which is why they test your code with large amounts of data
>>
>>88776542
They shouldn't allow answers in python if they really believe that then.
>>
>>88775769
>>88776044
>>88776327
What if it's my friends first job? Well I suppose it never hurts to just start looking and hop when it works out
>>
File: 1609881000171.jpg (253 KB, 1920x1080)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>python
>>
>>88776596
I assure you it can be done in whatever language they let you choose.
>>
>>88760016
~$450k, bought for between $250k and $300k
>>
>>88776635
Pays my bills and isn't a drag to work with like J*va.

Dilate.
>>
>>88776596
They're looking for efficient code not efficient language choice. If you try to brute force the solution then you're going to fail no matter what language you choose.
>>
>>88773703
I make that much (post tax) and I live in Chile. My mortgage is 700$ and I think it's already too much.
>>
>>88776601
You leave when it makes sense for you. That's all... I stayed at a place for 10 years once because I liked the work. When I tried to move up, they wouldn't let me, so I left.
>>
>>88776739
that buys you a tool shed in commiefornia
>>
>>88776828
good thing I live in the northeast
>>
File: 1663615265152528.png (205 KB, 400x460)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
>>88776521
>tfw have to cherry pick and rebase from 20 commits from web of 200 commits from 10 different people
Would rather just be fired at this point I'm sick of being the only one that can use git for more than branch and push/pull because this shit ends up on my plate every time
>>
>>88776601
Literally always be looking. Pimp your LinkedIn and sub to every FAGMAN job newsletter. Be at least moderately polite to all recruiters.
>>
File: 1663787775560709.jpg (202 KB, 1920x1080)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
I have an interview next week.
Actual opportunity of a lifetime.
I can't stop procrastinating.
Help.
>>
>>88760016
>$270K TC
>$1500 rent 800 sqft 1-bed
early retirement here i come
>>
>>88774898
>known possible causes for chronic brain/head zaps
mdma overuse
>>
>>88776767
>I make that much (post tax) and I live in Chile. My mortgage is 700$ and I think it's already too much.
sometimes I have this feeling that lots of devs in the first country are making worse money than devs in 2nd world. I just cant believe a dev makes only 43k in oslo after taxes
>>
>>88776521
>>Code probably has to be rebased and fixed because no one makes their branches correctly
i've literally explained to an indian, both in person, in writing, with and without crayons, live follow along demos, tons of links to documentations and tutorials how to unfuck his git branches
he nods and says he understands, then next week comes around with even more retarded shit that is somehow more difficult than just not shooting himself in the kneecaps
git really is the real filter
>>
>>88777954
I have been asked by 3 separate devs on my team how to clone, pull, and push to a repo. We had a dev a couple weeks ago just commit all of his local testing and debugging code along with plain text credentials. People push code to a branch that's not theirs then revert and rebase, I guess just to be safe, and deleted several importrant files from both branches that are untracked anywhere else.
>>
>>88778007
>deleted several importrant files from both branches that are untracked anywhere else.
reflog
saved my ass more than once
>>
>europoor
>$100k basically considered the peak for tech jobs
>maybe ~$150k if you're a literal tech god with 2 PhDs working at the upper echelons of FAGMAN with a zillion YOE
Hearing grads making ~200k in this thread feels so surreal.
>>
>>88778076
New grads making 200k is LARPer nonsense. That only happens to a select small few at the big companies. They'll make 100k+ easily though which still blows out most of Europe.
>>
>>88778007
oh yeah
after writing in a pr (filled with basic styleguide references) that he should revert changes that don't do anything, fix this & that, squash it so it looks like something you can grasp when seeing the commit the first time, he just deletes some new files he was importing somewhere else. this was somewhere in the second round of the same feature
in the third round they were back, but also removed the previously improved changes
then in the fourth round the files were missing again

i think he just doesn't give a fuck and just presses the create PR button until i don't give a shit and just merge
>>
>>88778053
fug I wish I would have known about that at the time. I think I just did a checkout to a past commit and copied the file.
>>
>>88759169
test
>>
>>88760929

Are you me?

At times I feel I am wasting time/money by not looking a better paying position. But then again, I am major league broke. It kinda makes sense (to me anyways) to stick to my current position and grow my safety net a bit.

In a year from now, when I can finally say I have 10k to my name, I might fuck off to something better
>>
>>88760947
because I live in a HCOL area and don't have $1MM for a house
>>
>>88778076
>130k plus bonuses, 0 yoe
>3.1k rent
i feel like i'm making nothing. silicon valley sucks.
>>
>>88764189
I started a new job over a month ago and I still haven't done a damn thing, it's pretty great
>>
>>88778310
i started my job a month ago and i'm already working 12 hours a day just to catch up, mainly because there's virtually no onboarding.
>>
Bros I have literally nothing whatsoever to do
>>
File: 1591662670027.jpg (10 KB, 228x240)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>been three months since i've applied to a position and they just now reach out for an interview
>the listing is no longer up and i can't remember what they were looking for based off the cv i sent them
>>
>>88778247
>>88778306
This is why remote is king.
>>
>>88778348
why
>>
>>88778337
>mainly because there's virtually no onboarding.
same. they got me my new computer but I've recieved basically zero formal training yet
>>
>>88778369
>all new hires are mandatory hybrid
>all the senior staff and managers are fully remote
>the senior guy who's supposed to show me the ropes never responds to emails or answers zoom calls
>sends me an incomprehensible engrish explanation in the middle of the night and gets angry when i don't respond immediately
i fucking hate remote, to be honest
>>
>>88778416
I'm bottlenecked by an old boomer contractor who people apparently reach via landline phone, I have never seen him online and I don't know if he even has working hours
>>
>>88759169
Fresh out of college with a CS Degree, no Internship experience just landed a fully remote Software Engineer job. What should I expect with this first job? Tips?
>>
>>88778105
those big companies employ a lot of new grads
>>
>>88778954
that don't make 200k
>>
>>88778980
hcol 180+ new grad isn't uncommon, even 200 isn't too rare
>>
>>88778791
You'll wake up at 8:00 AM, take off your eye mask, smile, and stretch. You'll go to the kitchen and make gourmet coffee and avocado toast on non-copyrighted uplifting music plays in the background. You'll grab your skateboard and your dog and head to work since dogs are allowed at the office. You meet your work friends and they all have their dogs there too. Of course they do because today is your dog's birthday so they all brought their dogs so he could see his friends. For lunch you go to Dave and Buster and you win 2,000 tickets. A new personal record. After work you drop your dog off at doggie daycare, hit the gym, and meet the crew for karaoke. In bed by 10:00 PM.
>>
None of the things my senior ask me to do make any sense and it's really getting on my nerves.
>>
>>88759866
>student loan payments restart in december
I thought they started back up in Jan?
>>
>>88779016
larper nonsense
>>
>4 months since graduation
>still no job
im going to kill myself bros its over
>>
I was able to vent my low opinion of my team members to my manager, it went pretty good
>>
>>88778076
i dont think 100k is peak, im 32 an making 80k, in 5 years i will making 100k ez
>>
>>88779323
uh bro? you're supposed to have 200k tc by now...
>>
>>88759419
You could try explaining them the difficulty of that but if salary is thrash don't bother
>>
>>88779128
yawn
>>
Do you have 100% work health insurance coverage in the US?
>>
New thread
>>88779460
>>88779460
>>88779460
>>
>>88776596
A bad workman blames his tools. It is not python, it is your solution.
>>
>>88779436
phd in math; 300k starting
>>
>>88776596
LMAO nigga if you don't even understand optimization just abandon hope of getting a gig at Amazon
>>
>>88779442
work at fagman, no premium but there are deductibles
>>
>>88776601
Doesn't matter. I hopped after less than a year at my first SWE job and definitely don't regret it. There's no downside to hopping early if a better opportunity arises. Nobody in the industry is going to care. It's normal.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.