[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: rms_anime.jpg (53 KB, 450x338)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Welcome to /fglt/ – Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
– Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
https://overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/1041843

IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>88728206
>>
Is there a way to check what modules your kernel is using/what DKMS are actively available on your system on any linux machine?
>>
>>88758581
lsmod
>>
Moved my whole setup to Linux after Windows Storage Spaces corrupted a fuck ton of data. Split my boot nvme in half for Ubuntu and set my SSDs up with raidz2. I was memed into buying the idea of GPU passthrough but I'm too stupid to figure it out. I get a black screen.
>Do I absolutely need the vbios patch thing to get my Win10 VM to boot? It's just a black screen when I try.
>>
I've been planning to get an AMD RX 7000 card for the past couple of months, but Stable Diffusion has been tempting me so hard to buy an Nvidia card instead.
>>
>>88758682
If you've got the CPU for it, just use the CPU cucked version. But Jensen really wants to see you using tensor cores.
>>
any way to force all applications to use wayland rather than x11, mines are all blurry using wayland but i need the fractional scaling and x11 sucks at it
>>
>>88758605
perfect thanks anon
>>
>>88758682
you can just use ROCm drivers. if the new 7000 cards are going to be anything like nvidias lineup you're going to be better off using something from the 6000 series anyway which ROCm supports and what I use now, works great.
>>
>>88758760
so cute god I love asian women ;__;
>>
Bros, I just found out that you can enter directories by just typing ./test_directory
This feels a bit like when I found out about the middle mouse button buffer or the ctrl + r shortcut in terminal.
>>
File: 1633252777676.jpg (44 KB, 428x428)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
My distro is taking longer to boot than it used to, which logs and where should I check to figure out why?
>>
>>88759421
dmesg, kern, syslog, messages
>>
>>88759105
Women? Isn't that the same woman?
>>
Is there a panel, in the tint2 style, that has a "scroll text" item that can read periodically from a file or, ideally, an RSS feed? I'm doing a kiosk/public display thing and something like this would suffice for my needs, a proper digital signage solution would be overkill and if I can avoid it with something like silly like this it would be great.
>>
File: 1660361201619670.png (137 KB, 506x640)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
Anybody have any recommendations for light-weight (free obviously) video editing software? I have to do a really simple "voice over on a still image" kind of video for a class project and I don't want to have to go through the trouble of torrenting more bloated Adobe/Sony Vegas-type shit like I usually do.
>>
>>88758760
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wayland#GUI_libraries
You can also use firejail --blacklist=/tmp/.X11-unix to hide the socket.
>>
>>88760044
ffmpeg
Best get started learning it now. You can clone single frame for duration of audio and mux them together in a single line command.
>>
>>88760096
I'll check this one out and see how it works for me, thanks anon.
>>
>>88760200
The hardest part is picking the right codecs and container. Make sure its the most compatible with what your expected.
>>
>>88759421
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Improving_performance/Boot_process#Analyzing_the_boot_process
>>
best book for learning bash? it seems a lot like C, id like something like K&R but for bash
im trying to write a bash script to monitor /tmp for new files written, its like
for ((i=0;i<10000;i++)) do
ls /tmp | grep -v systemd | echo >> /tmp/monitor.txt
done

but i cant figure how to format the output of ls so that each file is placed on a newline
>>
>>88760699
ls output can be modified with parameters like -l
Check the man page for ls
You may need to pipe to awk or column to get rid of the permissions columns
>>
>>88760404
vp9, webm, libopus

literally supported by all real browsers.
>>
How on earth do I connect to eduroam with wpa_supplicant?
Pic related is all of the information they give, and below is the config provided by the eduroam installer (which returns AUTH FAILED.)
The certificate is taken from their website, and the identity & password are correct.
network={
ssid="eduroam"
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
pairwise=CCMP
group=CCMP TKIP
eap=TTLS
ca_cert="/etc/ssl/certs/WIT_eduroam_CA.pem"
identity="mystudentemail"
password="mypassword"
altsubject_match="DNS:WITDC2;DNS:eduroam"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
}

>>88760699
>>88760815
ls --format=single-column
>>
File: file.png (25 KB, 540x161)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>88760861
forgot pic
>>
>>88760699
use this instead:
ls -1 /tmp | grep -v systemd >> /tmp/monitor.txt
>>
File: file.png (125 KB, 771x915)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>88760861
>>88760881
These are the instructions they give for Windows. If anybody could translate this to a wpa_supplicant config, that would be great.
>>
I suddenly can't access ANY of my mounted drives. I dual boot and they work in Windows. I turned off Fast Startup in Windows and I still can't access them. Even my flashdrive can't be opened.

Ok, I can't even attach a screenshot to this post. I also can't save images on Firefox apparently. Something has gone horribly wrong with my permissions or something. It was working a couple of boots ago. Last thing I did was install repos for Duckstation
>>
>>88761753
Update: I can save an image in Brave, but as soon as I do that, the entire process locks up and I can't click on anything. Only way to close Brave then is to do it through System Monitor.
>>
>>88761043
Did you try setting the peapver to 0 or 1?
>>
>>88761814
Update 2: I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I ran a chmod -R 777 at one point when I was trying to open an appimage file for Duckstation. apparently this breaks your system? That's what I'm reading now. FUCK whoever advised to run that command. I did so many things I can't remember them all, but I wonder if that was it...
>>
>>88761972
If you want to learn something useful instead of ducking around learn how to make and use snapshots so you can revert your duckups
>>
>>88762029
I know how to take a screenshot. I don't know how much that would have helped because I appear to have lost access to all of my drives upon a reboot
>>
File: Libbie 5.jpg (416 KB, 1780x2048)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
is there a fix for upower not working with dual batteries
it's been an issue for like 6 years apparently
>>
>>88762147
that was either a really dumb shitpost or you're a retard
>>
>>88762302
when I search "snapshot Ubuntu" on Brave the top results are all related to screenshots. So maybe instead of being a cryptic little smarmy faggot you can tell me what you mean next time instead of trying to be a comedian.
>>
>>88759115
>ctrl+r
Neat, haven't seen this one before, I've just been using
history | grep
Some other neat commands, you use ctrl+d to close an empty terminal, or you can ctrl+L to clear a terminal.
>>
>>88762386
Brainlet detected, he means filesystem snapshots, blame brave for getting smarmy answers.
>>
>>88758514
Some NIGGER broke GIMP. Good thing Downgrade is a thing. Honestly glad I didn't purge my Pacman Cache yesterday.
>>
>>88762411
>C-d
this doesn't close an empty terminal
it sends the EOF indicator to the terminal. if the shell sees that you sent an EOF indicator, it exits the shell process
it also works with most interpreters, which usually can't be closed with SIGINT (C-c)
>>
>>88762449
I feel like that's semantics if anything, but regardless thanks for the info anon, I always like to learn something new.
>>
>>88762435
>blame brave for getting smarmy answers
thats not what 'smarmy' means, brainlet. and i figured it was something like that until i searched it and got all those screenshot results
>>
>>88758514
Lads, I have an interview soon in which I will be doing scripting sharing my screen. I have no idea what they'll ask me to do, and I haven't done bash stuff in like a year.

What should I do to practice? Are there some good exercises to help me get back on my feet?
>>
>>88762411
!foo runs most recent command beginning with "foo"
!?bar runs most recent command containing "bar"
!! runs previous command
fc -l lists the previous 15 commands
fc -l 20 30 lists commands numbered 20 through 30
!38 runs line 28
^old^new runs most recent command while replacing "old" with "new".
info "(bash)History Interaction"
>>
>>88762650
*28*28*
>>
>>88762648
regex
>>
Yeah nevermind GIMP is still fucked. guessing one of the libs are fucked, might try the flatpak version.
>>
File: 553.jpg (148 KB, 1024x683)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
noob question here
how can i make a index from a partition

like i want to backup just folders and archives names (maybe with thumbnails but idk if it takes too much space)
>>
What are some good websites to talk about Linux? This thread is ok, but /g/ itself is an unmoderated clusterfuck of flamewars, memes, and underage brainlets.
>>
>>88763316
I too wonder about this. I bet there are good places on IRC; gonna have to set that up now I guess fuck sake
>>
>>88763242
Web servers can provide directory indexing and probably thumbnails, but that's static content and would be generated on demand not "saved"
But also, webserver running something for image indexing would be a simple next step
>>
>>88763773
thats not what i need, i need a backup
>>
>>88759421
If you have systemd, then systemd-analyze and systemd-analyze --blame
>>
>>88763936
It's actually systemd-analyze blame, sorry
>>
>>88763913
Thumbnails and indexes isn't a backup though. You want a backup that you can look at that is thumbnails and has an index? And I only gave you how to make an index, so why don't you do your backup and then do the index?
Also, why are you backing up, it would be more relevant to discuss what backup option is best for the scenario you are thinking about. Hardware failure? Accidental deletion/user error? A fire burns your house down?
You see why a vague question doesn't really do much
>>
>>88764118
a backup of the index i mean
>>
>>88764127
And this is different than a snapshot?
>>
>>88764158
what the fuck is a snapshot

rlyl im an idiot
>>
>>88764225
Copy on write filesystems can snapshot the entire filesystem, taking up no space and providing a complete copy at a specific time.
You can go through the snapshots like you would any other folder. Since you don't have an explained "use case" for your backup, this kinda sounds like what you're thinking about. It protects against user error or accidental deletions, let's you try something and revert it. Its one way to "back up" your files.
Offers no protection against hardware failure or a house fire.
>>
File: 1663786623587638.webm (1.32 MB, 480x360)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB WEBM
>>88758514
>>88758514
evil or emacs style (keybindings?) for spacemacs? hurry im setting it up now
>>
I am attempting to nuke my windows install, the only remaining things are a few games I have on steam that won't work natively on Linux

I see bottles is recommended for windows/non native games. Is there a way to get the Windows executables/files/whatever from steam, and attempt to install them and play with Bottles? Its all common shit, like Halo, Doom, etc. Or am I fucking up and there is a better way to do this stuff?
>>
>>88764305
i see, my bad for not explaining usecase
i dont want a backup
i just want to save a index the partition files and folders, cant do webserver beacuse i will deattach the drive
>>
>>88764649
Time to write a script then. This guy was doing something like that. >>88760699
Write a cronjob or systemd timer that runs an indexing program? I don't know what that is. Maybe simply "tree"? If you want thumbnails write a bash script to " find" and use imagemagick to "convert" for each case.
There may be software for this out there already, or at least similar. For example, image library apps typically store thumbnails in a database and can work in the absence of the original drive, and will function again when the drive reappears... Or they just copy the whole image to the database.
>>
whats the best way to extract attachments from email? I'm talking hundreds of attachments in hundreds of emails. there are some really shitty thunderbird addons...there must be a better way
>>
>>88764787
i dont know how to do it, thats why i said noob question
>>
Seems like my new PC has a NVMe drive with 4096 byte sector size. Do I like to need to know something now? Am I supposed to make my new EXT4 filesystem use 4k block size too?
Quickly reading Arch wiki about it doesn't really make me realize anything.
>>
Should I be something other than sshfs to access my NAS? I used samba before but I don't really run windows anymore.
>>
>>88764886
If the output of "tree /path/to/disk" is sufficient for your usecase then make it a cronjob, redirect the output to a file.
tree /path/to/disk > /path/to/index

I'm not writing you a thumbnailer you can google for that. I already told you the program that is used to convert images in scripts. And I don't know how to use cron but its probably easier than systemd timers, which I would be using
>>
>>88764911
mkfs.ext4 defaults to 1024 byte sectors for file systems smaller than 512 MiB and 4096 byte sectors for 512 MiB and larger. If your partition is larger than 512 MiB you're fine.
>>88765033
nfs?
>>
>>88764375
If you're comfortable with vim controls, that's evil mode, but you can swap between them on the fly (you can in doom emacs at least)
>>
>>88764415
Just use proton bro, it's built into Steam. Bottles would be better for stuff you want to sandbox.
>>
>>88765148
>nfs?
what benefits are there to using nfs because I don't really need to configure anything to mount a folder with sshfs? I know there is going to be some resource usage due to fuse and encryption but will this really hurt performance?
>>
Major version updates of distros are weird. I don't understand the philosophy.

I upgraded from Linux Mint 20.3 to 21 recently and found that in 21 they fixed the broken mouse setting panel and, what's more, added acceleration profile presets so you don't have to write a script for it anymore.

There's no reason why these two things can't be in 20.3. It's baffling to me. They just leave broken shit in earlier versions even though Mint 20.3 is still "being supported" until 2025. That's a crock of bullshit, it isn't being supported at all if they're waiting until major version updates to fix shit.
>>
is anyone renowned forking the kernel and making a non-tranny branch?
linus has been a retard for a while and he isn't getting smarter
what's alan cox doing these days
>>
>>88765247
Depends on what you use it for, but one thing it has is ACL which isn't that big of a deal if you don't need fine tuned access controls, like sharing something to all clients where only some may write while others only read without each one having a POSIX account and ssh
>>88765258
Major updates get features. Still supported but not the main branch get security. You can back port it I guess.
>>88765261
Nope, best get to work on it. I don't think anyone has a working full list of every contributor who is transsexual, and most of them are probably in your head
>>
>>88765247
nfs is easier to set up and less bloated
>>
>>88765364
>I don't think anyone has a working full list of every contributor who is transsexual
are you retarded, this is about rust
>>
>>88765461
Oh well you should gave said rust instead of every transsexual?
Did you know that you can compile your own kernel and simply skip the rust part? Seems like that would solve your problem... Well, one of them at least.
>>
>>88765636
thanks for clarifying
>>
Gaming question.
So, I want to play games like Skyrim. I know about Rockerbacon's Mod Organizer 2 installation script, but I was wondering if there was a better way to get MO2 to work on Linux?
I also know about the whole Steam Tinker Launcher thing but it's all convoluted and I never got it working right.

I just want to mod my Oblivion and stuff, you know?
>>
My university is starting up a student society about linux and my the way things are looking I'm going to be in charge of most of the presenting and teaching the material.
One thing someone else from the presidency group, or whatever you call it, asked me what kind of projects we can do. Specifically projects that we can put on resumes and impress companies or some trash.
I'm kind of stumped, it's an operating system. You just kind of use it to do stuff, projects are usually more domain-specific and programming. Most I can think of is standing up specialized systems like a web server. What do you guys think?
>>
>>88765821
Forgot to mention another idea I had but I'm still fuzzy on the details. Learning and using the system calls and other "integrations" C has with linux and making command line tools. What do the tools do? I don't know.
Maybe also covering how to write kernel modules, but still fuzzy on what exactly.
>>
>>88765821
>>88765849
Just look at the type of job you want or are studying for and do that? Something really simple would be picking a particular distribution and a piece of software and offering to maintain it
>>
>>88765906
I think that is what we will probably end up doing. I don't know the demographic we'll be dealing with but I imagine they will mostly be IT majors. So that should be right up their alley.
>>
>>88763316
>>88763486
There are forums for linux, you're just not looking hard enough. Hint: newsletters for various distros.
>>
File: 1662073484074183.gif (986 KB, 304x444)
986 KB
986 KB GIF
>>88762268
Well?
>>
redpill me on coreapps,
>We make daily apps that are Desktop Independent with Consistent Look across all the apps and can run in lower system with Minimum dependencies.
do they deliver that? are they bloated?
>>
File: 1663766152772282.jpg (37 KB, 651x513)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>88758514
What's the current state of single GPU passthrough? Does it work? Is it even practical, as in, can you use both the host and the VM at the same time (would be cool to drag and drop files and shit you know)? What about dual monitors—can I use two when I'm in the VM? I'm asking about this because I want to build an ITX computer that's going to have a single GPU and I would like to know if I could do single GPU passthrough to a Windows VM for the odd application.
>>
Hello, I can't seem to do anything on Ubuntu anymore. None of my secondary drives are working while they work on Windows. When I try to access my HDDs or flashdrive, I get this message:

>Error mounting dev/[drive name] at media/anon/[numbers]: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdd1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

I also can no longer save images on Brave or Firefox. It seems that these programs are prevented from accessing the filesystem. When I do ls -la in terminal I see my username on all of the entries except for 2; install_manifest.txt and .. are root., so I don't know if this is a permissions issue. I also turned off Fast Startup on my Windows OS, so I don't think it's Windows causing this. What could I do to fix this?
>>
File: 1662005893624284.png (1 MB, 720x613)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
Got a bit of a problem here. So I have a VM hosting a game server, (TF2 but that's not relevant). On the game server, I have a user where all the server files are stored, and that user runs the server. The server has a folder with a bunch of maps it can load. I want to give other people access to uploading maps to this directory, but I don't want them to have access to the entire VM. How can I do this? I tried setting up a separate account, giving them a chroot jail in their home directory, but I can't actually link the real files into the dummy home directory. Symlinks just don't work at all through chroot, and a mount --bind has permission errors, as well as being unable to enter mounted directories. Additionally, if the actual server-running user does not have ownership and permissions on the map files themselves, the entire server breaks and doesn't run.

Is there any sane way of accomplishing this? I was thinking as a last result to get some sort of daemon that just listens on the ftp user's directory, and whenever a file is placed in it will just make a copy in the real directory. But that seems like a bit overkill for what in theory is a simple task.
>>
File: 1663919516908.jpg (430 KB, 1080x1792)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
>>88758682
ROCm won't support the 7000 series for at least one year after release. Then it won't support the kernel/OS you're running for an additional year. It's a fucking disgrace for AMD.
>>
>>88760861
What are you using to connect? Eduroam certificates are invalid and your computer may be configured to reject invalid certificates.
>>
>>88768251
best option is to set up a simple PHP file upload script, just make sure the files can't be uploaded with a .php extension

you could even do log in with discord or smth
>>
>>88768198
run dmesg and look for anything related and more verbose (note: you need to run dmesg as root)
>>
>>88768585
>ntfs: (device [drive name]): parse_options(): Unrecognized mount option windows_names.
>ntfs3: Unknown parameter 'windows_names'

Seeing a lot of these. Replace [drive name] with sdd1, sdb1, etc.
>>
>>88768696
>>88768585
Holy shit, I think my ntfs-3g got uninstalled somehow. It appears to be working for now.

But this still doesn't explain why I can't upload or save anything in Firefox or Brave. So strange, guess I have two concurrent problems entirely independent of each other
>>
>>88765258
Your observation is correct and it is indeed a retarded thing. It doesn't have to be like this, but people are extremely lazy so they only do 80% of the job.
>>
>>88765384
...and less secure

>>88765247
Stick with sshfs for occasional use, it is encrypted and requires authentication. NFS doesn't.
For permanent use or high performance use SMB.
>>
Oh no I accidentally added a space before the = sign. I'm so sorry unix please don't FUCK UP EVERYTHING
>>
>>88760699
instead of "ls"ing whatever that is, try doing it in bash instead:
for (( i = 0; i < 10000; i++ )) do
for f in /tmp/*; do
case $f in
*systemd*) ;;
*) printf '%s\n' "$f" > /tmp/monitor.txt ;;
esac
done
done
>>
hey anons, thinking of trying linux mint out but there are 3 different versions (cinnamon, MATE, xfce). in theory i like the idea of going for the one which is lightest on resource usage but are there any drawbacks to doing this? especially if i want to play some light games or run music, art, and image editing software?
>>
>>88768968
the games or music players don't care about what desktop you run, you can use them independently from it
>>
>>88768968
Doesn't matter. Cinnamon is Mint's flagship DE but you won't miss anything by using the MATE or XFCE variants. I recommend using the MATE variant.
>>
ok anonymous
I'm looking for the image of kandalf next to I think it was kiki or some other kde mascot in a swimsuit
>>
Whats your preferred arch linux browser? Im new to linux
>>
File: scaling.jpg (1.27 MB, 3840x2160)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
Do you guys use any scaling on your distro? I would like to do 150%, but I'm afraid the support just isn't there. VLC upscales videos too when you do it, which doesn't happen on Windows. I know I could just use mpv and use the nohidpi command, but I'm afraid that this is a problem I would keep running into with other apps as well.

This is one thing I will always say that Windows got right. Win10+11 handles high dpi scaling very well
>>
>>88769841
Browser in what sense? Internet? Files?
>>
>>88760044
If you prefer a GUI then use Kdenlive.
>>
>>88768784
>muh security
Pipe it thru SSL or something?
>>
Are there any guides on making nice boot splash screens?
Today I've tried an Ubuntu Jelly LiveUSB and I think it looks neat.
My system is quite bare-bones, but I do want something similar, animations and all, possibly still displaying boot messages on the side.
>>
>>88769943
Internet browser. Is sea monkey good?
>>
File: 1663932856405.png (28 KB, 672x283)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>88770313
How does SSL solve the missing authentication? An encrypted connection open to the world is no more secure than an unencrypted connection.

>>88770378
Plymouth themes: https://store.kde.org/p/1000001/
>>
>>88770606
It's fine I guess. I just use Firefox.
Though if it you want to use Firefox pre-hardened without doing it yourself you can look into Librewolf.
>>
>>88770620
>open to the world
That's a different scenario. But idk, I'd figure something else out than using Samba, it's icky.
Even a tunnel would be nicer.
>>
File: 1663934260554.png (266 KB, 879x672)
266 KB
266 KB PNG
>>88770644
sounds like cope, mate
>>
>>88770620
>Plymouth themes: https://store.kde.org/p/1000001/
Neat, thanks!
>>
>>88770606
SeaMonkey has ca. 2010 Firefox functionality. It's for PCs with 1~2GB of RAM.

Your choices are Firefox and unGoogled Chromium. Basically same as Windows. Good distros will provide Firefox builds with all the dumb shit opted out by default, which is all the tweaking you should need unless you're going to be one of those weirdos who uses Tor Browser on clearnet. Firefox forks are pointless half measures.
>>
>>88769937
Just do it you can always change back
>>
>>88770883
Cope against what exactly? Just saying there's a native network filesystem out there.
>>
>>88771554
It's as native as SMB, no more.
>>
>>88769937
I just use a 1080p 96dpi monitor.
>>
>>88771554
CIFS is kernel accelerated on Linux same as NFS and provides the same metadata facilities. There are situations where NFS is better if you're dealing with clustered file servers / large scale networks, but for single server 1-10G LAN setups they're same shit except encryption and authentication are easier to set up on an ad-hoc basis for CIFS.
>>
File: 401-2324658069.png (140 KB, 680x510)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>with a fucked scp command i have over written a bunch of files
>after months, yesterday i did a backup
daily reminder that backups are important
>>
Honest question. How long does it usually take for gnome point releases to be updated for the arch repo?
>>
i just rm -rf'd my backups cause i was running out of space
>>
>>88772735
one to two years
>>
>>88772756
>one to two years
Fuck this I'm going to fedora
>>
File: 1663316315174502.jpg (64 KB, 664x568)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
What path do I mount my linux filesystem partition too and what filesystem should I use?
>>
>>88772735
If you want the latest versions of GNOME components quick after they release then you won't want to use Arch. Takes a couple months before they reach parity.
>>
>>88772808
>If you want the latest versions of GNOME components quick after they release then you won't want to use Arch. Takes a couple months before they reach parity.
>takes a couple of months
Is this just a policy that maintainers have for Gnome???
>>
>>88772781
>too
to, anon, its to
>What path
what does it contain?
>what filesystem should I use
you just said that its a linux filesystem
ext4
>>
>>88772781
/mnt/anime
EXT4
>>
I am staying at my parents' house to watch the family dogs for the next 10 days and moved my PC over here.
When I got it set up and booted it up it was getting stuck with nothing being sent to the monitor and error code 04 (which for my motherboard is fast boot)
I have my PC set up to dual boot Manjaro and Windows, which has always worked smoothly.
After resetting the CMOS with no luck I decided to unplug the Linux flash drive I had inserted into one of the USB slots. and it booted up fine including with the dual boot menu.
Is the problem really just that I left the Manjaro install flash drive plugged in or did my dual boot get corrupted?
I don't know why I thought you were supposed to leave the flash drive plugged in
>>
How do I access a local socket from a machine I'm ssh'ed into? On my local machine I have
/tmp/kitty.socket
created by kitty terminal. This lets me control my terminal by running
kitty @kitten neighboring_window.py left --to /tmp/kitty.socket
. I want to run that command on a remote machine, but can't figure out how
>>
should I increase my swap to 32GB
I have no idea why there is such an insistence on moving stuff to swap
pretty sure I was never above 45GB/64GB
>>
>>88773457
You can make the ratio whatever you want by setting swappiness. Also switch to zram if you're still using disk backed swap and have a OOM killer.
>>
What's the best bootloader that can handle TPM? I have dualboot with w11.
>>
File: 1512612141000.gif (21 KB, 618x894)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
>>88758514
>clean arch install on an old desktop for tech projects (web data mining mostly)
>can't decide if dynamic WM or good old xfce
I'm tired of xfce and I always wanted to try dwm, stacking, tiling, and the likes. Now the few tutorials I see to install "the proper arch way" look painfully long and fully script oriented - I know it's the goal for some, but I need a middle ground. Any recommendations, non-autistic WMs?
>>
>>88773997
What's a dynamic WM?
>>
>>88773787
You can just disable TPM in the bios if you're all set up in 11. It'll ask you to sign into your MS account for verification and then you'll have to take 2 seconds to reset whatever pin or password you were using. No negative effects so far
>>
Is there a Bash or other method to rename a folder of files by removing a few characters off the start every file name?

Weird request I know, but I have a ton of files that someone named with a number at the front, making other things not read them right and making alphabetical organization impossible. Its about 2000 files so 10 digits of that many files would be a real pain without some automation.
>>
>>88760699
Just read the manual good greif.
>man bash
Or, even better, read it in Emacs.
>>
When I delete the taskbar in KDE, it always returns when I restart. How do I get rid of it permanently? I googled the question and found nothing relevant
>>
File: Happy-Merchant.png (510 KB, 1027x1200)
510 KB
510 KB PNG
I want to transfer the files to my new drive, both formatted as BTRFS.
So far I've used cp and rsync and both failed failed at my ~10GB .vdi vbox files, slowing down to several kb/s.

How do I do this properly?
>>
>>88772653
I don't have this problem with BTRFS.
>>
>>88774998
pic not related
>>
I can't believe this is so complicated but nothing I've tried from googling works...
I want a command that I input into bash to run a script in a new terminal tab or window, doesn't matter as long as it stays up.
let's say I have /home/user/Desktop/script.sh
I want to be able to execute that .sh and have the progress appear in a new terminal tab/window. Any ideas?
>>
>>88775221
Just type in the name of the terminal emulator with the command and put a & at the end, so it runs in the background?
>>
>>88774998
pls reply
>>
>>88775242
yeah I just figured it out... it turns out I wasn't really fucking up the command arguments like I thought but the command itself doesn't work. For example gnome-terminal or even just terminal won't open a terminal at all.
But xterm works so that's what I'm going with. Thanks
>>
>>88774998
Did you not disable CoW on the VDI files? They can become massively fragmented if you don't. Otherwise your drive is dying.
>>
>>88774998
man btrfs send
>>
>Is anyone here using clang only on Gentoo (no-gcc)?
I'm not but I'm curious what the current state is from anyone doing this. I see there are now packages that install a bunch of toolchain symlinks for clang, which is new. They didn't exist before.
>>
>>88775221
I'm close to done bros I just need help with the final hurdle..
so I have
for i in {1..3}; do xterm -e "/home/user/Desktop/step3.sh" & sleep 10 & xterm -e "/home/user/Desktop/step4.sh"; done

My goal here is to perform step3.sh, wait 10 seconds, then move to step4.sh, then repeat 3 times. The problem is that step3.sh will run forever, so this gets stuck. How can I make bash kill step3.sh after a certain period of time and continue on to step4.sh?
>>
>>88775414
Use the
timeout
command but you should probably figure out why it gets stuck.
>>
>>88775291
>Did you not disable CoW on the VDI files
Yes, I did. I don't have any corrupted files. The smart values don't show anything wrong.
>>
>>88756003
(cont)
turns out lightdm isn't sourcing my ~/.xinitrc nor ~/.xsession files, so my problem was that as a consequence /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d wasn't being sourced
anyone knows where's the config for this behavior?
/etc/lightdm/Xsession only references ~/.xsession (but never got executed)
>>
>>88775463
also I run everything from ~/.profile
>>
File: georgia.png (1.13 MB, 1851x1000)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
Does anybody know how I can fix my based foobar skin? It's clearly missing some fonts or something. At first I thought it was the proprietary .otf fonts, but Font Manager says I have them installed. Does Font Manager ever collide with the Ubuntu-native Fonts app?

The squares next to 'composer' field are supposed to be kanji
>>
>>88775430
well step3.sh doesn't "get stuck", it runs forever by design but I want to kill it after a period. timeout worked thank you very much
>>
>>88775297
>arch wiki
>The snapshot that is sent must be readonly
so I need to remount the drive as readonly I suppose.
>>
>>88775221
>I want to be able to execute that .sh
From where?
>>
>>88775590
You can create a snapshot and btrfs-send that and delete the snapshot afterwards.
>>
>>88775414
You're using & in place of &&

You can do it without a script file by using export -f in bash or xterm -e 'sh -c ...'
>>
File: terry.jpg (160 KB, 1280x720)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>88775602
Right, I didn't think about that. Thanks a lot
>>
>>88775678
I told you this a long time ago... >>88736454
>>
>>88774341
Thanks for the tip, I unlocked my bitlocker drive in windows and disabled tpm. Even no account or key shenanigans.
>>
>>88775536
use a font that supports japanese, it's a wine problem
>>
Can someone give me a good reason as to why every other distro is getting Gnome 43 already while Arch jannies flag it as out of date and sit on their ass for months?
>>
>>88775889
why don't you ask the maintainers
>>
>>88775889
Arch devs are and have been lazy faggots for a while. No one except retards uses this meme.
>>
File: file.png (22 KB, 1057x97)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>88775732
Yeah, I kinda overlooked that. Sorry.
hmm. I don't get it. Now it gives this error message.
>>
>>88775949
>go and politely ask the gnome maintainer why packages take longer than reasonably expected to update in a rolling release distro
>get screamed at and told to go and just compile it myself if I want it so bad
>okay
>eventual breakage
>"YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT *THAT* WAY, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST WAIT FOR THE MAIN REPOS TO BE UPDATED???"
Arch Linux
>>
>>88776039
>eventual breakage
so you compiled it yourself and it didn't work, and the maintainer knows that, so didn't push the update, and you're bitching about it?
>>
>>88776036
The target filesystem is definetely not read only.
>>
>>88773658
>setting swappiness
I have not really gotten this to work ever
it seems linux treats it more like a guideline than a rule

anyways my CPU is getting slightly old and memory is not overclocked so I would avoid the compression overhead of zram
>>
>>88774608
bash-enthusiasts will hate it but python is pretty good for this
easier to mess up bash than python too
and you can print out the source and destination files before replacing the line of code with the actual move/rename-command to check for mistakes first
>>
File: 2022-09-23_13-08.png (940 KB, 1138x733)
940 KB
940 KB PNG
I installed Manjaro on a USB for fun and it fucked my grub so that I would need the USB to boot my main system, I fixed that loging into my main system and executing boot-repair and now manjaro also shows as an option, the thing is now when I choose the manjaro option in grub it shows pic related. Redpill me on the bootloader, how to fix pic? Can I make the USB so that it would boot in any computer?
>>
>>88776426
I usually unplug all drives data cable before I attempt any Linux/BSD installation just so they don't even have a chance to fuck my bootloader
>>
>>88776426
>install thing that obfuscates installation and configuration of bootloader
>wonder why you can't figure out the bootloader
just install arch
>>
>>88775872
i assume the fonts do support japanese, because they work on windows. i just use the fonts that the original creator included with the skin. this stuff is way over my head but maybe some path within the code is preventing fb2k from loading the .otf fonts i installed
>>
>>88776669
I just assumed wine has got no font fallback and accepted it. don't know what I can do about it
>>
>have laptop with Mint
>in home wifi works perfectly
>in university wifi stops working all the time, have to activate/de-activate airplane mode to fix it
>decide to try other live OS' in a usb to see if it's a Mint problem or a Linux problem
>try it with ubuntu, same result, try debian, it doesn't even come with wifi drivers
>manjaro works flawlessly, decide install it on the usb to have persistence but then >>88776426 happens

What is the reason that wifi is fucky in ubuntu/mint but it works well with manjaro? Haven't tried other arch based distros but I guess it has to do with it
>>
>>88776381
I'll use anything method as long as its simple enough to do. I only know a very small amount of bash or python. I just don't want to have to hit F2, delete 10x, enter 2000 times in a row. If anything can solve that I'll try it.
>>
>>88776972
Just use bash and sed, learn sed, a tiny bit of regex and you're golden.
>>
File: 1621822715470.png (166 KB, 2688x2688)
166 KB
166 KB PNG
What happens if I boot Fedora with a kernel that doesn't have SE Linux support?
>>
File: file.png (6 KB, 860x52)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>88776163
So I guess I have to mount the snapshot beforehand. Takes for fucking ever. Getting real tired of this piece of shit harddrive.
>>
>>88777173
I never ran any defragmentation and it's filled to the brim and repeatedly ran full in the past.
So I suppose that this is the cause for those slow access times. Adding that shitty usb drive bay..
>>
>RAID1: 2xnvme Intel, 5 years old, Data units written: 45Tb => working great
>RAID1: 2nvme Samsung, 8 months old. Data units written: 7TB > bricked.
Why Samsung is garbage ?
>>
I've finished the bash script to archive entire 4chan boards with the basc-archiver python tool
curl -s -L https://a.4cdn.org/g/catalog.json > /home/user/Desktop/catalog.json
cat /home/user/Desktop/catalog.json | jq -r '.[].threads[].no' > /home/user/Desktop/trimmed.json

^ this is separate because 4chan doesn't like you curling too much.
for i in {1..3}
do
xterm -e "timeout 35 /home/user/Desktop/step3.sh" & xterm -e "/home/user/Desktop/step4.sh"
done

Change the 3 to the amount of threads to do at once, doing the whole catalog uses about 5gb of ram. Change timeout depending on how long it takes to download a thread for you.

step3.sh-
cat /home/user/Desktop/trimmed.json  | xargs -I {} sudo thread-archiver https://boards.4channel.org/g/thread/{}

step4.sh-
sed -i '1,1d' /home/user/Desktop/trimmed.json

There's probably a more condensed/elegant solution but this werks for me
>>
I'm running Endeavour with XFCE. When I try to switch between monitors there is a sticky edge or a magnet feature that halts my mouse smoothly moving between them. I basically have to move the mouse off the edge and then back to switch screens,

Anyone have any idea how I can turn this off, or even the actual name of it?
>>
File: 130583820316.jpg (53 KB, 380x360)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I moved my laptop to Mint permanently after I somehow fucked my partitioning up and it nuked my Windows.
I am not mad about this, because I backed up the few things I wanted to import over to my Mint partition anyway, but it's been interesting.

Not sure that I'll stay with Mint. But it's fairly comfy.
>>
>>88774340
A dynamic window manager, like dwm.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dwm
>>
File: script.png (24 KB, 589x368)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>88774608
from shutil import move
from os.path import isfile, exists
from os import listdir
import re

def run():
possible_files = listdir()
to_be_moved = []
already_used_names = set()

for old_filename in possible_files:
# skip files that do not start with a number
if not old_filename[0].isdigit():
continue

# skip non-files
if not isfile(old_filename):
continue

# find first non-number
idx = re.search("[^0-9]", old_filename)
# filename is only numbers
if not idx:
continue
new_filename = old_filename[idx.start():]

if exists(new_filename) or new_filename in already_used_names:
print(f"Destination file already exists, skipping: {old_filename} --> {new_filename}")
else:
to_be_moved.append((old_filename, new_filename))
already_used_names.add(new_filename)

if not to_be_moved:
print("No moves possible")
return

longest_oldname = max([len(old) for old,_ in to_be_moved])
print("\nThese moves would be performed:\n")
for src,dst in to_be_moved:
p_src = src.rjust(longest_oldname)
print(f"{p_src} --> {dst}")

response = input("\nIs this fine? [y/N]: ")
if response.lower() == "y":
for src,dst in to_be_moved:
assert exists(src)
assert not exists(dst)
move(src, dst)
else:
print("Not moving")

if __name__ == '__main__':
run()

threw something together for you anon
tried to make it as safe as possible to not overwrite anything

the script should be placed and run from the same folder the files are in
>>
>>88777535
Not that anon, but that was nice of you to do.
>>
>>88777535
Now let's watch as anon doesn't know how to run a Python script
But really, you went over the top with this. If the structure is the same (ie just cut first 3 characters) a simple bash script would have worked.
>>
File: file.png (17 KB, 794x96)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>88777173
>>88777204
Oh no. Please no god
>>
>>88776351
You either didn't set it correctly or have some transient memory allocation spikes you're not aware of.
>anyways my CPU is getting slightly old and memory is not overclocked so I would avoid the compression overhead of zram
Retarded notion. Latency is king. Not having to synchronize with IO trumps all 99% of the time.
>>
>>88758682
I'm using SD just fine on my RX6900XT. It would be twice as fast on a 3080, but it still only takes me like four seconds per picture, it's not a big deal.
>>
I already used Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro. What distro should I try next?
>>
>>88779197
Fedora
>>
>>88779197
So you tried Ubuntu, an Ubuntu derivative and a bad Arch derivative.
For variety I guess you could try out Fedora or openSUSE? Or an actual good Arch derivative like Endeavour or just plain Arch.
>>
File: unnamed.png (35 KB, 512x512)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
When I emulate my PS1 gaymes, Ubuntu seems to go into screenlock if I don't press a button on the keyboard. I use a PS3 controller and the emulator only allows borderless fullscreen. Should I install Caffeine or is there a better way to inhibit screen lock/system sleep when I'm doing something important like gayming?
>>
>>88777535
Wow thanks dude. I'll put that to use that saves me so much damn work.

>>88778646
I've written one before so I can run it, just not super skilled with it as I'm not a programmer. Made one to output folder names before, it worked but could never get it to save right. Though a screenshot worked in that case so didn't have the motivation.
>>
>>88779365
Doesn't Duckstation automatically stop shit like that from happening in the options menu?
>>
>>88779387
Weird, I seem to have that option checked but it didn't stop it when I was playing earlier today.
>>
>>88779365
i use xfce and in the power managere theres a presentation mode switch that prevents your screen from blanking im not sure how it would be called in ubuntu
>>
>>88779438
I'm guessing GNOME4x has something like that lurking.
>>
How do I disable *active* window borders on KDE? I.e., the border colour change that happens when you select a window, and stays until you select another one. I've tried tinkering with the focus decoration setting in the headers section of my .colors file, but it simply isn't doing anything; even when I reapply it.
>>
>>88779365
https://github.com/foresto/joystickwake
>>
>xfce4-screensaver isn't in debian repos
faakheads
what do I use now
I liked the krash de locking screen. I don't like the xscreensaver shit
>>
>>88779474
This is the link they send you to for Ubuntu, I don't think they have it for Jammy? (22.04.1)
I just tried adding the repo anyway and I don't think it worked because it was unsigned. I don't really know how to make an exception

https://launchpad.net/~foresto/+archive/ubuntu/toys
>>
>>88779474
>>88780042
wait a second im retarded. that was in the "see also" section. now i have a broken repo in my list and im trying to remove it.
>>
Anybody else getting black screen on Xorg start after upgrade to nvidia 515.75 on Arch? I can downgrade, but then other shit like Steam doesn't want to run (probably need more downgrades).
>>
>>88780042
generally speaking if the package isn't in synaptic or PPA don't install it.
>>
>>88780223
(I also forgot about pip packages, but that's for python apps)
>>
>>88780223
>>88780251
Well it looks like they provide a .zip file on the github. Do you really think it's that dangerous?
>>
>>88780327
it's just a standard for quality (as in, it's likely that the package will just werk).
>>
File: file.png (33 KB, 1440x408)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
trying to copy my current ssd's files to an old hard drive i dont use for backup but it doesnt copy. what do?
>>
https://archlinux.org/news/removing-python2-from-the-repositories/
GTK2 is next, right guys? ...right?
>Required By (144)
goddamnit
>>
>>88781504
Nothing of value depends on GTK2
>>
Is there a reason the retroarch cores folder is a 300+ mb folder of nothing? Like, I download the zip from the itch.io, it's clearly 300 mb, but there aren't any files in it, and it's only 14 bytes/one empty folder when extracted. What's up with that?
>>
>>88781519
I agree that GIMP is shit.
>>
File: 20220809_132517.jpg (351 KB, 2400x1440)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
My Fedora installation shitted the bed, sends me to emergency mode but also says the root account is blocked so no emergency mode 4 me.
Shill me a new distro, I have used and I don't plan to go back, in this order:
Ubuntu
Debian
Manjaro
Endeavour
PoopOS
Arch
Fedora (both vanilla and immutable)

I was thinking OpenSUSE but that shit looks bloated AF and has crap I'm not interested, like Yast.
I just want trve just werks and Im not going back to jeetndows
>>
>>88781519
I see
ardour
gimp
hexchat
xfce apps
steam-native-runtime?
alsa-tools (couple gui apps still gtk2)
>>
File: 1618024107646.png (633 KB, 1707x960)
633 KB
633 KB PNG
>>88781664
>I have used and I don't plan to go back, in this order:
>Debian
Debian is the best distro in existence. You can not find a more stable distro
>>88781357
try the copy in terminal and post what happens
>>
>>88781664
>OpenSUSE
Stay far the fuck away from TW and Yast.

>Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Arch
Sounds like Linux just isn't for you since your only other options would be niche shit that's barely usable. I guess you still have Void which is semi-usable?
>>
File: 1663974978675.jpg (37 KB, 720x402)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>88781695
I love it when I'm proven right
>>
>>88781768
It may come as a surprise to such a superior being as yourself, but those apps are still popular among the plebeians.
>>
>>88781744
Thanks, but I like my packages from this decade and I will not use flatpak or appimages unless necessary.
>>88781749
So I literally give up and go back to globohomo?
I just want a system that doesn't shit the bed just because.
Offline updates were supposed to avoid problems like what just happened to me. If Jewdora isnt just werks then im truly fucked.
>>
File: 1647459359033.png (485 KB, 775x600)
485 KB
485 KB PNG
>>88781889
>Thanks, but I like my packages from this decade
Then what's your complaint against arch? You can't have bleeding edge and stable.
If you want rock solid stability: Debian
If you want bleeding edge: Arch
If you want a supported server: Ubuntu Server
If you work for a huge corp with money to spend on support: RHEL
I can't think of a use case for any other distro, maybe Gentoo if you want to tinker
>>
>>88781889
No problems here on Arch except when I break something myself, then I just chroot for a second.
>>
File: snap.png (10 KB, 358x78)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
How do I snap? I keep getting this pop-up. Why couldn't firefox update itself like it used to? I'm about to fucking snap.
>>
>>88782343
snap refresh

I hate snaps but I'm lazy, never use the Ubuntu system, and it still just works
>>
>>88758514
I once had a class in community college, and the professor was going on about some nonsense that women were inferior - something that everyone intuitively knows is false.

During his diatribe, nobody spoke up, out of fear that the professor would fail them. But one student did. The class couldn't believe it, and in the end of the day, he had facts and logic on his side.

That student's name? Albert Einstein.
>>
>>88782343
Close Firefox
`snap refresh firefox`
>>
>>88782343
purge all snaps and snapd from your system
install firefox as a deb
voila
>>
>>88782467
cringe
>>
>>88782343
It can't be open while you update. But as I'm finding out the Ubuntu Software store is not very good. Install Synaptic if you want an easy UI for latest packages/repos
>>
>>88782464
>>88782477
Thanks. It was painless but...
>>88782492
I might do this. It feels like going backwards from how easy to use ubuntu was. It turned something automatic into something manual.
>>
>>88782467
There was a very skilled and talented lawyer from India. He went to South Africa and was appalled by apartheid. More specifically, he was disgusted by how he, a high-caste Indian, would be treated as a black man was simply due to his skin tone.
The lawyer's name? Gandhi. Unironically.
>>
Could I get a recommendations for free and open source OCR (optical character recognition) software?
Ideally something that understands early modern English characters, which oft uses characters such as "ſ" and "þ".
>>
>>88782605
But was Gandhi a 33rd degree elder in the Scottish Rite Masonic Lodge? Was he a master welder? Was he crushing prime pussy left and right? Was he a Green Beret? Was he a homoerotic icon? Was he the inventor of anime and top Youtuber? Was he a racer with a clitoris and labia? No? Guess who was all of that and more?

Albert Einstein.
>>
I fucked up, I accidentally deleted both my .xinitrc and my .bashrc.
Anyways, I was putting them back together, and I noticed my urxvt doesn't have transparency anymore, even though my Xresources file is the same. I cannot remember if there was something in the xinitrc that fixes this other than xrdb merge, I just have
[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

with no luck. It was working before this. Is it possible my compositor is fucked and was starting in the xinitrc but isn't anymore?
>>
I'm trying to get used to this mounted drives thing. I'm not quite settled into Linux yet, I want to move a good amount of my torrents from private trackers over to a client on this OS. Are there any disadvantages to manually mounting every time I boot up? Will Linux ever change the drive names on me, ruining my save paths for their torrents in the process? I have 4 external HDDs.
>>
>>88782731
False, that was Nikola Tesla
>>
>>88782744
>Will Linux ever change the drive names on me, ruining my save paths for their torrents in the process?
yes, use UUID
>>
I have the APL386 Unicode font installed, how do I get konsole/vim to use that font when typing APL glyphs? Currently using droid sans mono, but it falls back to some system default font and half the characters are non-monospace, it's unusable in terminal.
>>
File: 68.png (210 KB, 3840x2160)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
anyone here use void? i've been using it for 2 weeks now after using arch steady for the past few years. i really like it.

anyone else using a non-systemd distro? how you liking it, bros?
>>
File: 1629292159166.png (159 KB, 496x508)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>88782744
i'm in a similar position to you. here's some info that's true across all *nix systems (99 percent of the time, may not be true for old school unix or super weird enterprise custom stuff)

>every storage device you plug in will sit in a directory called "/dev/", you can see what's inside by doing ls /dev/
>all kinds of shit will be in there, but storage devices will start with "sd" followed by a letter "a","b","c" so on so forth indicating randomly assigned drive order
>numbers following indicate partition info
>use "lsblk -f" to see these storage devices and their info
>the "/dev/sd(letter)(number)" naming scheme changes when shit is unplugged, unmounted, system rebooted etc
>UUID's, however, NEVER change

you can define specific mountpoints for specific UUID devices in a config file called "/etc/fstab". i recommend using lsblk -f to see the UUID of your devices and then putting the mount paramaters in fstab to avoid confusion ever happening.

disregard all of this if they get mounted with a label (i.e name you gave it) under /run/media/$USER/$DRIVENAME. that means it was mounted by a process running under your ID, meaning whatever process you set up to do it for you (probably kde automount or some shit) is likely already accounting for UUID's on the backend.
>>
>>88782909
i dont even see a media in my run folder, unless im looking in the wrong place. did you figure it out? guess i will end up going with this guide:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/mount-external-hard-drives-in-linux/
>>
>>88782735
Yeah I forgot to start the compositor. Silly me
>>
>>88782991
what's the output of lsblk -f? run that command with your drive plugged in and mounted, it'll tell you the path it's currently mounted to on the far right column under "mountpoint".

also, what distro are you on?
>>
>>88783036
all of them are under media/anon/[drive name], but that's the way it's always been. are they supposed to be there? ubuntu 22.04.1 (latest, ive only had this for a few days)
>>
>>88783111
>>88783036
and if it's not clear, anon is my username
>>
>>88783111
yeah that seems right, i assume you're using gnome or kde? the fact that they're mounted there means it's happening in userspace. i'm not sure what ubuntu does on the backend to automate this, but it's likely being done by your desktop environment (gnome or kde). i'm pretty sure you'd be able to disable this via your file manager (automount settings somewhere) and do it manually via /etc/fstab if you wanted to.

this, would however provide no real benefit other than being able to do this independant of any distro, which imo is good enough reason to do it manually. but yeah if you put it in /etc/fstab, it'd automount regardless of what WM/DE you use, or what your local settings are. you could access the files in a TTY before ubuntu's stuff does anything
>>
What's the GPU equivalent of lscpu?
>>
>>88783289
lspci?
>>
I've been trying Linux on and off for the last 15 years or so (I've got official discs of Ubuntu 10.10 and Debian 6 somewhere in my drawers), but I've never found one that made me want to use it as a secondary OS on my laptop. I'm pretty capable when it comes to computers (have MS and CompTIA certs), and am comfortable using a command line when I need to (I cut my teeth on CP/M and MS-DOS and still use the latter regularly). Anyone got any nerdy distro suggestions for someone who has been turned off by Linux thus far? I have a hardon for retro shit, so if it looks like it's from 1997 then I'll definitely try it.
>>
>>88783323
Doesn't show enough GPU-specific information.
>>
File: 1663981298164.jpg (186 KB, 800x800)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
How do i use LuaTex? I am a script kiddie that learned Lua for fun, but i'd like to start to self teach myself some math, and this sounds like kills two birds in a single shot: scratchs my itch of using Lua for something in the future and sounds handy for taking notes.
Is using TexLive really necessary? It looks bloated.
>>
>>88783350
What about lshw?
sudo lshw -C display
>>
>>88783350
You can increase the verbosity. You're not gonna get a cpu-id type output though because that uses a database from their pci-ids
>>
>>88783410
That's a lot better, thank you.
>>88783400
That's more like what I was expecting :) thank you too.
>>
>>88783273
yep, Ubuntu uses GNOME. and this guide is having me do pretty much exactly what you said. i just opened fstab and i think the first drive worked, not really sure how to confirm. 3 more to go
>>
With Poettering joining Microsoft does that mean that it's wise to switch from SystemD to something else?
Also does that mean more Distros will drop SystemD in the future?
>>
>>88783613
SystemD makes Linux usable on the Server.
>>
>>88783536
this is how it starts. first taste of "i think i can automate this / do this more efficiently". once you start you can't stop. welcome.
>>
>>88782909
/dev/disk/by-uuid
Use these in your fstab instead of /dev/sdwhatever. They were added specifically for this problem, ie that for example motherboard BIOS updates or booting with USB drives plugged in may end with the sdX letters getting scrambled.
>>
Sometimes my kde taskbar wont load when i log in. I cant reset or anything the terminal and i have to do it manually. My wallpaper and mouse still load though. Restarting always fixed the problem, but id rather it didnt exist in the first place. Any ideas?
>>
>>88783344
Sounds like you want something more technical, Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, and the BSDs (OpenBSD,FreeBSD,etc) fit the bill, there's also this list which goes into a little more detail.
https://fglt.nl/guides/picking-a-distro.html
Slackware's closer to a "retro" style, where it comes with "everything" you need, so you don't need to mess with packages, like how Unix used to be. Gentoo's ultra customizable, but you need to compile programs as a trade-off, Arch doesn't assume many defaults for the user, so it's easy to roll your own combo of desktop and additional programs. BSDs are not actually Linux, and they are also like Slackware in their release methods (large suite of default packages), but they typically come with a package repo.
I personally use Gentoo, but I can see the compiling being a turn-off.
You can make almost any distro look retro if you install xfce and a retro theme or windowmaker or fvwm, I can't think of anything that intentionally looks retro OOTB aside from OpenBSD, which is due to the focus on security over everything.
>>
>>88783901
I have an array of disks that are not partitioned and not formatted and therefore, have no UUID (after all, its filesystem specific)
Some of them are even the same disk make and model, and therefore share the same PARTUUID which is also available in /dev/
So in order to make my array work with zfs when the drive letters kept changing, I had to use /dev/disk/by-id
This included whole disks, partitions of disks for a total of 18 different devices.
The line to make that array was 4 lines of the entire screen.
Long story short: use persistent device names.
>>
>>88784130
>not partitioned and not formatted
>zfs
ZFS partitions the drive for you though, in GPT. It'll make one partition for data and one for metadata.
by-id is fine too, it's not like the drive will change hardware serial number, but there's no reason by-uuid wouldn't work for you if all you're doing is giving the whole disk over to ZFS.
>>
File: killkillkill.jpg (65 KB, 446x373)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>88783890
Nope, scratch all that. I'm fucking pissed now

Turns out the retard who wrote the article I linked above didn't use UUID, and I was too fucking stupid to realize it. Now all of my drive folders under home are interchangable upon each reboot, even though I fucking named them specifically to be remembered. Holy fuck I am so mad about that. And it's really because I was about to go to bed, I'm finding that I should never be learning new things on Linux when I'm tired. I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to go and publish a fucking article with such ass retarded directions.

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/mount-external-hard-drives-in-linux/

Whatever, I fucked up. Guess I'll fix it tomorrow. Don't know how I'm gonna do it. Gotta remove all the rules for fstab I just wrote and start over
>>
>>88784192
>no reason by-uuid wouldn't work for you if all you're doing is giving the whole disk over to ZFS.
The whole disk doesn't have any filesystem and therefore has no uuid when creating the array
Perhaps I could have gone in later and made the array use the uuid created by zfs after the fact. It is odd that zfs doesn't do that. It used the block device names.I gave it at creation and complained when /dev/sdj suddenly was missing and /dev/sdh was unused.
>>
>>88784230
you got this man. you just gotta get the UUID's for the drives (lsblk -f) and mount it like this

UUID=9234u2 /media/HardDrive ext4 defaults 0 0

the above will mount the UUID to "/media/harddrive" when your PC starts. make sure /media/harddrive actually exists first my doing mkdir /media/harddrive.
>>
>>88784475
i know how to get the uuids. i just have to figure out how to undo everything i just did though
>>
>>88784518
if you followed the guide all it did was make a target directory for the mount and echo it to /etc/fstab. open /etc/fstab with a text editor as root and remove what he said, then replace it with the correct line. ez
>>
>>88783392
Bump
>>
>install Fedora for the lulz
>think if would be an easy experience
>SELinux preventing you from doing things in every turn
>firmware is XZ compressed, your custom kernel fails to boot because of this
>had enough, download Archlinux bootstrap tarball
>click it to view contents
>extracts without asking
>try remove the extracted files
>permission denied
Sometimes less is more.
>>
>>88785007
Your ignorance is showing. You make your initramfs compressed, then fail to include the compression algo in the kernel, proceed to use software you haven't used and complain that its default behavior wasn't what you expected.
Did you want to learn or just bitch?
>>
File: 1663934446102628.jpg (265 KB, 1267x1188)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>88785007
it's good enough for linus
>>
>>88783392
Writing LaTeX directly sucks, and you probably won't have much call for using the Lua part with just basic note taking.
>Is using TexLive really necessary? It looks bloated.
More or less. Latex is text mode MS Word with a lot of the same design problems. LuaTex is just the final Word convergence where they give up trying to support every possible user need with ever increasing fixed function document format extensions and give you a programming language instead, but you're still stuck with the bloated shitscape document format.
>>
>>88783613
Only if there was a good enough 'something else'.
>>
What are some neat looking fonts to replace the default Ubuntu font in Cinnamon?
Helvetica looks good but for some reason if I install it on the system when the web browsers try using they fail and replace it with a condensed/impact version.
>>
Using systemd, I want to add 10.123.4.20/32 to the loopback interface on boot. What kind of config I need in /etc/systemd/network?
>>
>>88758514
Hi.
I have a 1tb HDD and I made an exFAT partition of 200gb (it was either exFAT or NTFS, I didn't know if it would make a difference so I just looked it up, and both have advantages and disadvantages.) through my Windows installation to give a shot to 1 or 2 Linux distros.
However, the one I tried to install error'd out with lines like these:
>Wiping partitions...
>sfdisk: Cannot open /dev/sdc: Permission Denied.
>wifefs: Error: /dev/sdc/: Probing initialization failed: Permission Denied.
As if it didn't have permissions to mess with the partition, meaning Windows put a lock on it or something I guess.
How can I get through that?
>>
>>88787043
You need root (superuser) privileges, you can't mess with drives as a regular user.
>>
So how would one go about setting up Arch Linux to work with Secure Boot? Can one do it with GRUB as the bootloader?
The documentation for it is horrible online and shim-signed and then signing the hashes in mok manager didn't work.
>>
>>88786290
Try the Ubuntu font family, I find it quite pleasant.

>>88787043
>wifefs
Reiser lives on!

>>88787331
GRUB works well with Secure Boot if that's what you're asking
>>
File: 1657456639219.png (4 KB, 44x32)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
Is there a window manager that can render specific windows/tiles rotated? I know about rotation of whole display please do not mention
>>
>>88787361
Then forgive me asking but is there a fleshed out tutorial on how to get it set up? Never seem to get it working just following the arch wiki, the section on shim was unhelpful.
>>
>>88787410
I'm using Kubuntu so there's nothing to set up, it works and that's it.
In general terms, you need the shim, which then verifies GRUB's signature and loads it, so GRUB's signature meeds to be in the shim database (you can add it manually, I believe).
GRUB then checks the kernel signature and loads it, followed by loading the unverified initramfs.
Your distribution is supposed to supply the shim, signed GRUB and kernel.
>>
Greetings fellows, what is the /g/ recommended SWAP partition size for a linux install on a laptop with 8GB of ram? (can't upgrade ram itself)
>>
>>88788010
As much as your RAM, so 8G of swap.
>>
>>88788028
Ok thank you matey.
>>
>>88788003
The issue is Arch Linux does not come with secure boot enabled out the box.
I love the arch ecosystem, just the secure boot bit is getting annoying because I don't understand anything about how to set it up manually.
>>
>>88788100
It's not like you really need secure boot
>>
>>88788122
Fair but it's just frustrating how convoluted the setup process for it is.
>>
File: sour grapes.jpg (31 KB, 618x258)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>88788122
lmao
>>
I have a RAID1 in [U_] state.
should I wait for new drive's delivery or am I able to continue to work ?
>>
>>88788142
That's just how it is. If you want a distro that has it set up by default you gotta use vanilla Ubuntu LTS or vanilla Fedora.
>>
>>88788145
what are you using it for?
>>
>>88779468
Unlike the suggestions of those on Leddit, the real solution is to change
DecorationFocus
in
Colors:Window
>>
Can you use diff in a way that only shows what two files do not have in common regardless of what line # they are in?
For example if the word "linux" shows up in line 5 in one file but line 99 in another, this linux line will be a true negative because it shows up in both files. Or do I have to make script to reach this result?
>>
>>88788145
Bootloader lock is mostly relevant for locking consumers into a specific OS like phones and tablets do.
>>
>>88788145
Imagine being pro secure boot in a Linux thread
>>
File: 1664008816875.webm (221 KB, 350x197)
221 KB
221 KB WEBM
>>88788412
>Secure Boot
>bootloader lock
>>
>>88782723
bump
>>
File: 1664008886713.gif (120 KB, 498x498)
120 KB
120 KB GIF
>>88788485
Imagine being against security in a Linux thread
>>
>>88788485
It's not pro secure boot to want to get it enabled.
>>
>>88788552
>>88788569
and... what are you using it for?
>>
>>88788720
in hackerman tv show the executive guy had gay sex with another man to get access to his device, which he installed malware on.
secure boot prevents the man who lied about being gay and had sex with you from installing malware on your device
>>
>>88788743
aka evil maid attack
or gay sex hackerman executive attack
>>
>>88788557
just test them all and pick the one you like
>>
>>88788569
>muh security theater
fucking kill yourself glowie
mitigations=off
>>
>>88788801
I don't know any that is FOS.
>>
>>88788310
>>88788720
>>88788743
>>88788782
fyi this is all the same person.
>>88788803
>security theater
is right. the people spouting this shit dont even know why it's relevant.
I'm aware of the threat and I don't use it on any VM and since my servers are locked in a cage I don't use it there either.
>>
Does MATE or XFCE have more features?
>>
Annoying to have to ask after bump limit, but is there any way to (easily) list the mute status of a microphone in i3status?
I only got this far

volume mic {
format = "mic: active"
format_muted = "mic: muted"
device = "pulse:48"
}

but of course this doesn't work.
>>
>>88788898
Their "extra" features come from their extra group packages (mate-extra and xfce4-goodies.)
>>
>>88789294
but which one has more than the other?
>>
File: tor.png (79 KB, 1280x774)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
Trying to make Tor open up a DNSPort on Fedora Linux
AVC avc:  denied  { name_bind } for  pid=65885 comm="tor" src=9053 scontext=system_u:system_r:tor_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:unreserved_port_t:s0 tclass=udp_socket permissive=0

I guess this is the SELinux doing its thing? What do?
>>
>>88790606
>>88789316
>>88789294
>>88788898
Let's continue the discussion in this thread:

>>88791054

>>88791054

>>88791054

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.