[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1627696600700.jpg (355 KB, 1000x1333)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>88672396
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards, tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium roll cage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>Excellent Linux & *BSD support

ThinkWiki - General info about ThinkPads/specs
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p (1080p w/mod board), Ivy Bridge support on T420 w/coreboot, quad core upgrade, classic keyboard mod on xx30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quad core models
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - last ThinkPads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>T440s/T450(s)/T460(s)/T470(s) - ultraportables, good battery life
>T480 - last ThinkPad with swappable battery, T25 keyboard mod, excellent performance/battery life, getting cheaper

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5-8250U quad core
>X62/X63 - X61, i5-5250U
>T70 - T60, i7-7700HQ
IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, MiniDP, no dock
https://forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

BIOS replacement:
https://coreboot.org - T440p, X131e, X1C1, and xx30 series (no 61) or older
https://libreboot.org - X/T60 and xx00 series

Additional resources:
https://biosimage.booru.org
https://1vyra.in

UEFI patches:
https://github.com/digmorepaka/thinkpad-firmware-patches

Chat:
https://t.me/thinkpadgeneral
https://discord.gg/Ybdz7AS
##ibmthinkpad on libera
#/tpg/ on rizon
>>
(reposting this since it was at the very end of the thread)
I have an x61 tablet that I am rather fond of, but unfortunately its lack of graphics capability is becoming somewhat problematic for certain uses. I also have an ultrabase for it, and using that as well as the cardbus slot in the main laptop there are two things I want to try at some point.

First would be some kind of Frankenstein graphics upgrade. There are two potential ways I can envision doing this; the first is hacking together some kind of cardbus adapter (my understanding is that it is essentially an external PCI port) that would let me plug into some external desktop GPU. The second would be with a hacked apart ultrabase. My thinking is I could buy an extra off ebay for cheap and salvage the electrical interface and possibly the top part of the mechanical interface and then 3D print a suitably large lower half to house whatever I wanted. Based on the thinkwiki page for the x6t ultrabase, it was not immediately clear what kind of protocol is used in the dock connector, but it seems likely that it could be PCI, or at least contain a PCI component in addition to others. If I could identify the appropriate pins, I could in theory make an adapter that would connect to a small desktop GPU which I could then store in the custom enlarged docking base.

Before going any further, I know this is stupid, and I know that I wont be putting an RTX 3090 in this thing and playing all the latest games. For one thing I know I would hit a bandwidth bottleneck very quickly. This would be to put in a modest, old GPU that might have like 1GB of vram or something and with better openGL support than it currently has. (I could run stuff like runescape at reasonable framerates on minimum settings until somewhat recently, and minecraft actually ran decently well with optifine up until 1.18 when they increased openGL requirements)

>>tldr: is it at all possible to use a desktop GPU using a cardbus port or hacked ultrabase?
>>
>>88755241
The other thing I want to try is to make an auxiliary battery. There are a few ways I have imagined doing this. The first way is probably the simplest and also the most idiotic, but its also the one I am farthest along on. Basically, the idea is to get a shit ton of rechargeable AA sized NI-mH batteries, an old charging cord, and a voltage regulator. The plan would be to put enough of the AA cells in series so that I get a voltage reasonably close to 20V, (which is what the AC wall adapter outputs) make several of these series assemblies, connect them in parallel, so that they can share the current load and have better capacity, then hook the resulting abomination up to an adjustable buck converter that will be able to precisely deliver the desired voltage, and wire up the output of said converter/regulator to the wires of an AC adapter plug from a broken charger. As far as the laptop is concerned, it will think it is plugged into an AC adapter! It will have no clue it is actually running off of AA batteries. When the cells are depleted, I just take them out of the housing I made for it and recharge them with a regular batter charger.

The other alternative relates to my idea of buying a sacrificial ultrabase and hacking it apart to salvage the electrical connections, then 3D printing something that can accommodate my plans. In this case, it would be large enough to accommodate all the AA cells and would allow easy removal of them, but would probably connect directly to the power delivery line already in the ultrabase.
>>
>>88755260
The other cool thing (no pun intended) that I would like to try doing is making a hacked ultrabase that has auxiliary cooling fans that are strategically placed in various places and have a little silicon gasket (I would design and 3D print a mold so it would be the perfect shape) that would fit tightly under some of the air vents on the bottom of the laptop, particularly the one under the wifi card and optional turbo memory card. For anyone who doesnt have an x60/x61, this part of the laptop is located under the right side of the palm rest and can become uncomfortably warm, especially if you use something like thinkfan to turn off or slow down the CPU fan. (the non-tablet version actually has an optional second fan somewhere in that area specifically for this reason) I could even combine this with the extra battery idea as well! Honestly this might be the most genuinely useful ideas I have had.

>tldr: I want to build a slightly enlarged custom ultrabase with built in auxilary cooling fans to cool down the palm rest and the CPU a bit more.

Thoughts on this? Any advice? Anybody try anything else like this? Any other ideas on cool things to try that were never intended? (or even ones that were but you just don't hear about very often)

Also, does anyone know where I could find a detailed pin-out or just more info on the connector used in the ultrabase?
>>
>>88755241
>>>tldr: is it at all possible to use a desktop GPU using a cardbus port or hacked ultrabase?
It looks like it actually supports expresscard as well as cardbus.
>>
>>88754859
If mass reply anon is here I'd like to ask some questions, You replied to a few of my posts during my T60 libreboot journey and while I ended up with the correct rom (2022 and for T60) and everything was fine however your claim that the 1024x768 display worked with the 2021 rom and should work with the 2022 rom is interesting to say the least. There's old forum posts all over that claim it is incompatible with that panel and two anons in the previous general have expressed inability to get video out except for VGA. I have a dono panel and CPU coming in the mail so it isn't really a big deal. Just wondering if there was actually some mistake that I had made.
>>
File: 1593681260659.jpg (40 KB, 616x472)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Hey /tpg/, I'm thinking of buying either x240/250/260 for light office work. Which one should I get? Just for typing documents and such. Pls no bully.
>>
>>88755665
Do not get an X240, ever. Get an X250 or X260.
>>
>>88755647
That guy is an absolute faggot
>>
>>88755727
stop being buttmad on my post they know quite a bit more than the usual /tpg/ /g/remlin and the ever present 365/24/7 ""university student"" looking to buy a stinkpad
>>
Not about ThinkPads specifically but the thing is going into an old ThinkPad so I'll try asking anyway.

Having a nightmare getting picrel (model: 3CCFE575BT) working on XP. The machine detects it fine, the slot is fine too as I've had other cards working in it. It just refuses to take any driver I've thrown at it.
Tried different generic 3Com drivers, not working. Downloaded ones claiming to work on XP but looking at the .inf files they're saying for 9x and NT 4.0.

Anyway, I'm at my wits end with it. Does anyone know an XP driver that could work, or just a pointer in the right direction so I might try and find a working one.
Thanks
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.41 MB, 960x1280)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
>>88755790
forgot pic
>>
>>88755680
I see. Just found out the same seller has T420/T430 available for about $160-180. May I ask how much battery life do thinkpads like these have?
>>
>>88755926
Depends on the CPU, i5 will get better battery life than i7.
>>
>>88755241
I tried to slab in one of those PCIe adapters into the X61t card slot and that wont work. They are mechanical not compatible.

Also even if you get it working, I wouldn't expect much of it. The 1.6 GHz C2D is old and not that powerful. I did read you can overclock a X61t with some soldering work and modified RAM. Maybe that is something you want to look at. Will not speed up your GPU, but maybe operations done in software might be faster.
>>
>>88755990
>I tried to slab in one of those PCIe adapters into the X61t card slot and that wont work. They are mechanical not compatible.
If it is purely a mechanical issue, there might be a way around it. I saw a forum post somewhere a few years back where a guy sacrificed an old expresscard wifi adapter and basically used it as a pin connector and soldered his own wires into it to make it work with an external PCIe slot or something. The real ultimate deal breaker is if it is electrically incompatible. If the computer just doesnt recognize the port as being a PCIe port, you of course cant do anything about that.

Also, where did you read this about overclocking the CPU? I probably wouldnt want to risk that, but purely out of curiosity I would like to see how it is done.
>>
Is it generally better to run off the cord instead of the battery? Why or why not?
>>
>>88756315
The cord, because each time the battery drains and recharges causes wear.
>>
looking for a good laptop which is durable, 15" and somewhat modern looking, so basically a business laptop. Was thinking a newish thinkpad but they're super expensive. The thinkpad L15 (ryzen 5 5600u) is kinda about the level Id like but its still $1150 CAD.

Any other suggestions? Dont want to be a full on hipster with a 2 inch think laptop.
>>
>>88756542
Just get a T530, they're super cheap
>>
>>88756208
It is in German.

https://thinkwiki.de/Mehr_Power_f%C3%BCrs_X_-_Pinmod_an_X61(s)_inkl_Tablet
>>
>>88756565
It will be nowhere near the performance of a Ryzen 5600U.
>>
>>88756603
A 3rd gen i7 is still more than enough for 99% of users, I doubt you need more than that unless you have some highly specialized work, you can pick a T530 up for under $100, so far more bang for your buck
>>
>>88756660
I agree a 4c/8t 3rd gen will be enough for most people. Still he was asking for 5600U performance and that is far ahead.
>>
>>88755196
>use latitude for years
>decide to buy a xps 15 because I like its build and its display
>1800 Euros
>literally has the worst WIFI reception I've ever experienced on a laptop
I'm sitting 4 meters away from my router and I can't watch 720p youtube videos on my 4k screen because it is unable to load them properly. NOnstop package loss. My old laptop had 0 issues, my smartphone has 0 issues, my fucking ps4 has 0 issues but this laptop does.
Theres already a replacement unit incoming because of the keyboard and if this sucks just as bad I'M just gonna return it entirely.
>>
File: 1658269770644909.png (138 KB, 500x500)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>88755241
probably even if it seems unlikely, much like this

https://satanisgod.org/www.angelfire.com/empire/serpentis666/HOME.html
>>
>>88756730
Dont have a super special use but I do plan on running VMs as well as some other programming tools/applications and I'm not sure if thats something that CPU could handle.

Really im looking for something kinda modern even if I have to spend 1k on it.
>>
>>88757458
XPS is dell anon.
>>
for anyone interested in libreboot, I'm selling a libreboot X200 for super cheap
>>
>>88756315
I generally assume it is better to keep them plugged in rather than constantly charging and then discharging them. Some laptops have software that lets you configure a minimum charge level the battery has to drop to before it will start to charge it again, so that you are not constantly doing tiny “top-off” charges.

If anyone else feels like reading a 4-part wall of text about optimizing the operational life of lithium batteries, (with a little humor mixed in at the end) feel free to read the following rules of thumb! (Some but not all of this applies to other battery chemistries too)

(1/4)

1) Lithium batteries REALLY don’t like to be severely depleted. This is probably the most important, highest priority one. In theory, the discharge controller should prevent this from happening at all, or at least prevent them from being seriously over-discharged, (in fact if you have a critically over-discharged cell, the charge controller will usually refuse to even attempt to charge it at all) but if you want to try to make your batteries last longer (not longer charge, longer lifespan of the battery itself) then its best to not push your battery pack all the way to its limit if you can avoid it. For example, you might stop using the laptop when the battery hits 20% or 30% instead of 5%.

2) Lithium batteries don't like to sit at low charge levels, especially severely depleted levels. If you HAVE to run your battery to its limit, be sure to charge it as soon as possible, don’t let it sit for days or weeks in a fully discharged state.

3) Lithium batteries don't like excessive heat, especially when being charged or discharged. Usually external temperatures are not an issue, but do avoid running them in extreme heat if possible. Also be aware that charging/discharging them generates internal heat, and the faster they are charged/discharged the more heat is generated. Avoid having the pack covered by something like a blanket when charging or discharging.
>>
>>88757738
4) Lithium batteries don’t like to be discharged or charged in extreme cold. Basically don't try to charge them outside if its snowing. I think this is more of an issue for charging than discharging, but it could be both. Storage at cold temperatures is less of an issue, but super extreme cold can damage them.

5) Lithium batteries don't like to be stored at full capacity for extended periods of time. I don't think this is as much a problem as low capacity storage, but over time it does degrade the battery. If you don't plan on using the battery for a while, let it charge to between 70% and 90%, then switch over to AC power. (A side note, if you are going to store a lithium battery for an extended period of time like many weeks or months, the ideal conditions are between 50% and 70% charge in a cool, dry environment. Keep in mind that ALL batteries of any chemistry will have some amount of self-discharge, meaning they lose power even when they are not powering anything. So even if you have batteries in long term “cold storage” it is important to periodically top them off to bring them back into the ideal capacity range for long term storage if they are going to be stored like that for many many months or years. Otherwise over time self discharge will cause them to drop to dangerously low voltages and will result in severely damaging the cells. I actually bought a couple of brand-new, OEM thinkpad batteries for my x61 tablet that were literally never used, they were still in their original box with the factory seal unbroken. But they had been sitting in said box since 2012, and by the time I opened them both packs were totally shot.)
>>
>>88757758
6) Lithium batteries don't like to be charged or discharged super fast. For laptops this is more an issue of discharge, as charging will be more or less fixed based on the charge controller and power supply. But if you are running on battery, you can extend both the life of the charge you are currently on AND the overall useful service life of the battery by doing things that reduce power draw. Things like reducing screen brightness, allowing the CPU/GPU to throttle a bit, removing unneeded peripherals, or even turning off certain components if they are not needed. For example, I will sometimes turn off the wifi on my laptop with the hardware switch if I am not actively using the internet for something while on battery. (airplane mode works just as well probably on more modern machines) (although I do this just as much even on AC power because it keeps the palm rest cool since the wifi module is right under where my right hand sits and it can get hot) Excessive discharge rate may actually just be the same issue as excessive internal heat generation, since discharging faster generates more internal heat in the battery cells.

7) Lithium batteries don't like to be charged or discharged in general. They generally are rated for a certain number of charge cycles. Each time the battery is charged or discharged, it slightly degrades the battery, even if it is only used for a relatively short period of time. Avoid frequent and short changes from AC to battery power needlessly. Short charge/discharge cycles don’t put as much wear on the battery as large ones, but they still degrade them over time.
>>
>>88757662
have you tried hardware swap?
>>
>>88757800
>>tldr: Lithium batteries REALLY-SUPER don't like to be discharged to very low/extreme levels, they don't like to be hot, they don't like to be cold, they don't like to be discharged or charged rapidly, they don't like sitting at full capacity for long periods of time, they REALLY don't like sitting at low capacity for long periods of time, and they also don't like being charged or discharged or otherwise used or even existing in general.

Basically if you use your battery you will degrade it and it will become less capable as a battery, but also if you don't use it it will also degrade it and it will be less capable as a battery, and everything you do will degrade it and everything you don't do will also degrade it, and they hate everything and are doomed to wither away into damaged shadows of their former selves no matter what you do.

>>In all seriousness though, pretty much everything you do will *slowly* degrade your battery, but there are a few things that you can avoid which would otherwise *quickly* degrade your battery.

To answer your original question, if you go days or weeks without needing to run on battery, charge/discharge you battery to like 70% or 80% ish and then remove it from your laptop (or if you have software that lets you set limits on how much to charge it and how low it has to drop before it tops it off [so that way it doesn’t just constantly charge/discharge from 70% to 69% to 70% rather than 100% to 99% to 100% which would probably be almost as bad as letting it constantly top it off. For example you might set it to stop charging at 70% but not start charging until it hits 60% or something, so if its sitting in AC mode for a long time it will slowly drop from 70% to 60% due to self discharge, then charge just one time from 60% to 70%], etc, use that if you like) and then just run on AC power until you will need the battery again, at which point you can plug it in, bring it up to a full charge, and then use it as needed.
>>
>>88755805
If you're mass reply anon could you then reply to
>>88755647
>>
File: 20220922_123548.jpg (2.08 MB, 2880x2160)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
Would /tpg/ plug it in? I'm afraid of plugging it in
>>
File: 20220922_125217.jpg (1.96 MB, 2880x2160)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
I plugged it in
Oh god it works
Also didn't want to risk my x301
>>
I have a t42 for 98, I know it's new for that but it runs 98 great and looks correct. I'm looking for the same thing for XP. I'm thinking I'd want it to be 4:3 atill, what models should I be looking out for?
>>
File: 20220922_135540.jpg (2.6 MB, 2160x2456)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
So there are some small problems, and one large one
It can only run a 1080p panel, I tried a 1200p 16:10
The problem is that no one makes a 13.7ish lcd
I think some newer ultra thin bezel 14in panels will barely slide in the lid, but all the wifi cables and junk are btfo.
The hinges can become a problem too
This also should work with the t400s, same pinout I think, though I didn't verify

If someone can figure out how to dump the rom on the lbds to edp bridge, that should allow it to be reprogram for 1920x1200 for a better fit and a direct fit in the t400s. I also very much wish to find someone to produce the cable as I do not want to make another one
>>
I'm tempted to get a T420 when my desktop finally breaks because it's good enough to play old games (see: good games), but for the moment I'm just lurking on an X200 and can't really see any reason why people give a fuck about having the latest stuff. The keyboard on this thing sounds fucking delicious and I can play music on youtube while lurking here with 10 tabs open.

Why do people upgrade?

>t. X200/Xubuntu
>>
hey guys, some keys on my thinkpad t480 haven't been working for a while
should i just ask lenovo to replace the keyboard? My SSD is encrypted with LUKS1 so I don't really have to worry about them looking at my data.
>>
>>88761623
the “people” on here generally use windows 10 which uses 4gb ram in the background and half your cpu for sending stuff to microsoft
>>88762333
if you’re under warranty, yes.
>>
>>88762415
alright, giving it to lenovo
>>88761623
>and I can play music on youtube
wow, youtube in 2021 used to absolutely kill my old dell latitude (i forget the exact model but 2008-2010, core 2 duo cpu, only supports hardware accel for x264 video)
i ended up youtube-dling my music and playing it with ncmpcpp+mpd
i could have over 10 tabs open and shit but i'd have to absolutely restrict myself to sites that weren't chock full of crappy js unless i wanted the cpu temp to go to 80
>>
>>88760124
t60/t61 idk
>>
>>88760186
I ordered the n140hcg-gq2. It has very thin borders and allegedly will fit.
If the wifi/GSM pose a problem I will I think replace them with antennas from the t460s, as they use thinner coax.
Some point I guess I'll install the pins and wires for the webcam/thinklight and then glue and wrap the display cable properly
>>
Is there a $40 thinkpad? I'm not looking for anything too specific or special. Just want 4GB at best and put my old Samsung SSD and call it a day. Really just want an Arch spin on it. But if it comes to $50-60 then I'll fucking do it later down the line. Just want to drop too much on little chinkpad
>>
X201 arrived today. Shit's tight.

Posted from my ThinkPad X201.
>>
Is it possible to use the fingerprint sensor on recent thinkpads (X280)?
End goal is to use it as password replacement for sudo.
Alternative ending is to use it as a hotkey to launch emacsclient; I used to use the thinkvantage for this purpose but it's a bygone era.
i use arch btw.
>>
>>88755971
Which one should I get? 420 or 430? Also, can you upgrade them to w10 or will it be wonky as fuck? Both are priced the same and both are i5s and the only difference is HDD or SSD + capacity.
>>
>>88757805
I posted on r/thinkpadsforsale
>>
File: absolute business.jpg (1.16 MB, 3024x4032)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>88759090
there's a FHD mod for the X300-series??
>>88760124
yeah T60-series
try to avoid the novideo T61s though
>>88760186
based holy shit, the X300 is a fantastic laptop with an incredibly bad screen so that's great to see
>>88762333
they should just send you a new kb if you're in warranty
otherwise just pull the drive if you want to send it in
>>88763479
not on ebay, check recyclers
>>88764450
based, just got one too
>>
File: 1662474377231839.jpg (66 KB, 900x900)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
whats the chance of getting bad pixels on a chink ips panel
>>
>>88765027
>FHD mod for the X300-series
no i wish.
I took a guess that the fhd mod for the T420 would work, and after about 7 hours of pain I rewired the cable for the x300.

oh also I should point out very clearly. if you buy the t420 adapter and plug it into your x300/x301, it will die, and the screen will die. Do not.
The cable needs to be re-pinned to work with the x300/1
>>
>>88766023
Figured.
You should put a writeup of what needs to be rewired up somewhere.
I'm sure the few of us that still use these things would appreciate it.
Even just a github repo or something else suitably public and easy to find would be cool.
>>
>>88766023
>>88766023
were you the madlad who resoldered each wire for that ribbon cable type in /diy/?
>>
>>88766052
I plan to once it's done.
I dont know what the legality involved is with posting schematics, but I guess I could here. That's all I did, t420 and x301 schematic side by side.
Depin connector from adapter
Peel ground strap off top, heating with soldering iron if needed (carefully)
begin at one end desolder one wire
check if it's gender is correct
if is, put it in correct hole, if not, desolder pin from wire, solder different pin on, then put in correct hole
do till done
rejoin the shielding just by dragging a bit of solder over it, not too not or too long
>>
>>88766063
yes
>>
>>88766148
I don't even know what to say. Incredible work anon I'm impressed. Seven hours you say? What a task. I get shakey hands doing mod chips.
>>
i find it funny that there are barely any thinkpads actually posted ITT compared to a few years ago. people are finally realising that old thinkpads can't keep up anymore.
>>
>>88766908
That's nonsense. Even my T23 is still pretty usable.
My daily workload is browsing 4channel and checking emails and shitposting on discord. The T23 can do two of those.
I think a T42 is border good enough. But probably best to stick with at least core2 duo as pre that you don't have a hardware video decoder

I'd ask you what else you want them to do but it's probably something stupid like instabook or gaming
>>
>>88764634
Try python validity https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python-validity
>>
>>88755196
Is double battery x270 good enough for escaping the war in case it happens, and using it as for a db design (so quite intense sql) post-grad classes?

Can it run any older mmos? Can it run nodejs?
>>
>>88766908
If you read the thread you can tell people still use their thinkpads, although I do miss people posting pics of theirs.
>>
Does anyone here run QubesOS on a 3320M X230? If yes, how's the performance, in detail? The X230 is basically the main recommendation of the Qubes project, but I can't tell if they're referring to the i7 version instead.
>>
>>88769641
The i7 X230 version is barely any faster, you get like 200MHz boost in multicore workloads compared to the i5.
>>
>>88766908
I don't post photos because I don't want to put something that can be used to dox me on the Internet, retard.
>>
>>88769879
My brother in christ how can a photo of a Thinkpad be used to dox you
>>
>>88769879
Wipe the metadata then and you're fine?
>>
>>88770114
there are ways of finding metadata even when it’s “wiped
>>
>>88769879
4chan strips metadata tard

>>88770153
How so
>>
There is a Dell Latitude 7490 offer with i7-8650u, is it any good? Price for it in my shithole is comparable to t470
>>
>>88770747
Yeah go for it
>>
>>88769948
>>88770114
all it takes is for someone to recognize the room it was taken in
>>
Looking to buy a new ThinkPad for heavy multitasking and want good processing power and cooling. Is the P series able to upgrade RAM and SSDs?
>>
>>88757662
bumping for interest
>>
>>88755196
>no 61
when will coreboot support the 61 series?
>>
>>88772863
>gm965
never probably
>>
File: 1663336098725534.jpg (8 KB, 228x221)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
my T60 was my favorite computer of all time. but then the motherboard died. and then i replaced it two times. and it died each time. why do my motherboards keep dying? i just wanted to use my T60 and be happy and comfy. why does everything fucking break all the time.
>>
So my t480s gets too hot for no reason, how do I solve this? Will i solve anything if i get some thermal copper pipes and glue them on the original heatsink? Or it's just the fan unable of cool down the heatsink fast enough to keep it cool?
>>
>>88773373
Oh i should add mine has the i7 CPU
>>
Is there any reason to keep my X220 or X200?
>already librebooted the x200
>both have IPS/AFFS screens
>both max out ram
>both have SSDs
should I just sell them?
>>
>>88773215
chinesium power adapter putting out wrong voltage?
>>
>>88773590
no. 100% original OEM adapter.
>>
>>88773620
it seems you have
the curse
>>
File: 1651241108059.jpg (26 KB, 400x338)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>88773649
yes i think so
>>
File: 1482862688523.jpg (30 KB, 316x202)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>88755196
>teaching in so-called IT school (private)
>campus is brand new, new furnitures, new classrooms, etc.
>enter the class, see nec plus ultra image monitors with walled haptic interface
>no VGA output ofc, only HDMI
>lose 10mn to usb the lecture on teacher's desktop
>you guessed it : it's a Mac, and so the nightmare begins
>afterclass: so Mr Anon how do you like the new "digitally overhauled" class experience?
>well... you see I use a ThinkPad and there weren't any VGA on th-
>*sarcastic tone* but anon in what day and age do you live? It's HDMI supremacy now, you can't stop the Progress!
>mfw
Seriously fuck this. How do you cope with this shit especially on the workplace? Also any, adaptor advice for x220? No way I change my computer habits.
>>
>>88773373
>>88773394
Repaste, set up a fan curve with TPFanControl and undervolt it. You can also disable turbo boost with ThrottleStop at the cost of some performance. If you have an MX150 GPU, you might also want to consider underclocking it a bit.
>>
>>88773904
Can't you just get some generic Display Port/VGA to HDMI adapter? I have a VGA one from Vention that I got for cheap on AliExpress and it does the job when I need it. But if you need to transfer audio as well, get a Display Port one.
>>
>>88773404
have you corebooted the x220
have you replaced the cpu in the x220 with a quad core ivy bridge, or paid someone to do the swap for you if you lack the bga rework tools
have you done the 13.whatever display upgrade and edp mod to get rid of that 1366 rubbish?

if I had a x200 I would keep it forever and ever. they are never going to be reasonably obtainable again
>>
is there any way to flash the bios of my x301 without installing windows?
fwupdmgr doesnt have it
>>
i own a x201 i was wondering if i can swap its keyboard with a T420 keyboard (the one that has wide esc/delete buttons and the new volume buttons) i'm afraid x201's tiny trackpad wouldn't allow the mouse buttons to fit in
>>
File: 1.png (186 KB, 1327x456)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
Where I live there are no model T. What's wrong with this model L for example?
Because I'm planning to buy that exact model next week.
>>
>>88775421
no
>>
>>88761623
used to daily drive a t420 for 3 years, comfy machine. saw a quad cores t440p with a relative cheap price and ips screen so i thought why not. keyboard is such a downgrade though.
i still keep my t420 around to experiment stuff with it. https://github.com/osresearch/heads/
>>
>>88775236
>if I had a x200 I would keep it forever and ever. they are never going to be reasonably obtainable again
I'm selling one for super cheap
>>
>>88775747
but why
>>
>>88775505
the difference was huge back in the xx20 series days but lenovo cheapened the mainline series so much that the two are not really that different any more.
>>
>>88775876
I'm pretty sure it uses weaker plastic still
>>
>>88775911
yeah but the T series got massively weaker when it stopped using magnesium. meanwhile L series always used plastic
>>
File: f130822447.jpg (4 KB, 96x96)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/press-releases/30th-anniversary-thinksystem-innovation-broadest-portfolio-enhancement/

>ctrl-f laptop
>Phrase not found
>>
>>88775505
Worse build quality and sometimes less features. When it comes to performance, they are very similar to the T series, but you should expect a less durable body as well as possible screen, keyboard and motherboard components of lesser quality. On the flip side, the current L models don't have soldered RAM (afaik) and they are considerably cheaper than the T series. There are some L and E models in my office, and I can work on them for hours without any issues. However, having the chance I would pick a T or X series over them every time.
>>
>>88775952
T series is sill using magnesium internally and cfrp afaik
L series is just frp and impact resistant plastic

it doesnt matter much if that price is in usd, that's a good price for the spec
>>
>>88775817
I just got married and I'm selling a few things for extra cash
>>
>>88777102
cuck
>>
>>88774315
I don't care about audio, it's just about mirroring my screen. I got a VGA/HDMI ugreen adapter but this crap requires 5v supply to even work. I'll look into "Vention" thanks.
>>
>>88773119
but gm945 is, can't be that much of a difference
>>
>>88777273
I've got tons of laptops so it's not a big deal
>>
>>88777307
what why
you have a x220, just use displayport to hdmi passive adaptor
what the fug
>>
>>88777367
it is, I never looked much into it though
and its also meh, 65nm is slow, 45nm c2d is good
>>
File: 1505657640681.png (29 KB, 657x527)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>88777522
Yeah. I feel dumb.
>>
guys the fhd mod x301 is so solid. I've been using it all morning and the su9600 can hang in there surprisingly well.
only discord is slow and laggy, but I can have it in the background while I browse web while listening to youtube in another tab and it scrolls smoothly and only 60-70% cpu usage.
also the dac in the x301 is pretty good, a lot of thinkpads have tons of interference but this one is solid, very little noise
I fear I may make these things unobtanium but I cant be the only one to enjoy this much usability out of a thin 10w nugget of a librebootable thinkpad.
>>
P16 is available with Intel ARC in the UK and Japan already!
They don't even sell the nvidia version yet in my country
>>
>buy mom T420 for her to work on.
>Upgrade with SSD and 8gb of ram
>Trucks along fine for several years until she spills water on it and think it's fried
>Buys a refurb T450 to replace it
>I get the T420, pull the battery, and it boots right into BIOS
>Boot partition is messed up, but the drive and system overall is fine
>Wipe the drive, install Kubuntu
>Mint condition T420 for me now.
I was bummed because I thought the system actually was fried, but now I've got a perfectly working spare T420 to mess with. Only thing wrong with it is the trackpad sticker is worn down and there's no nipple on the trackpoint
Should I sell it or keep it as a backup? I don't have any need for it since I have a desktop at home and laptop from work.
Is there any other use for it aside from fiddling with?
>>
>>88779127
Did you check inside for any corrosion?
>>
>>88755196
R8 my thinkpad
>>
>>88779487
You forgot to turn off the hallucinogens option
>>
>>88779240
I did not, but I will. If I find any, what should I do?
>>
>>88775505
the biggest issue with my L15 is the USB C ports wearing out; there are two, and they're used for powering the device. When the second one wears out I'm going to have to put new ports in which will be a pain in the ass and not something that should ever happen to a 1400 dollar laptop
>>
can I undervolt my ram with coreboot/libreboot
Can I just put in 1.35v ram and run it at 1.35v
>>
bump
>>
how do i fix the trackpoint randomly turning off?
>>
you guys think this is worth it? x260 ips w/ docking station for $250 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/125038788028

really want one with a dock ;_;
>>
>>88765295
Reasonably high, or backlight issues. 50/50 maybe?
>>88766908
That’s because they’re expensive now
>>
>>88783115
wats the best cheapest laptop to buy
>>
>>88783819
Letgo/FB marketplace, whatever shitter you can find. Or look at the old HP probooks or dell latitudes
>>
File: macfag.jpg (53 KB, 612x816)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
If Thinkpads are so good why do all the best programmers use Macbooks?
>>
>>88782884
The rubber feet look terrible
>>
>>88784096
4chan used to be run on a closet full of Mac minis
>>
File: B1MafMLCMAAH557.jpg (37 KB, 453x604)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
whats the max resolutions a standard T60 can output over its VGA port, im not getting 1080p, is it my cable? i remember vga being capable of 1080p, or is it a limitation with the intel gpu
>>
File: comfpad.jpg (2.35 MB, 3085x1735)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
My screen is cracked on the back like this. Is this repairable?
>>
>>88784096
best programmers are rich programmers. there's no reason us wagies should have a mac
>>
Hello gentlemen. How does the quad core cpu(looking at the i7 8650u) on the t480 w/o the Nvidia GPU handle things like Gentoo compiling, or C++ development? And how hard is it to replace or repair the display?
>>
>>88785542
shut up
>>
>>88785542
I compiled on a T60 just fine.
>>
>>88777561
Pretty sure you can find a star link vga -> hdmi cable too anon
>>
>>88758757
>>88759090
>>88760186
Have you made the github post yet Anon? Also, I can't find your /diy/ thread anymore. Seeing you in a random thread while browsing /diy/ for the first time ever and then watching you show up here in a general I lurk was quite the surprise and has even inspired me to get off my ass and solder more. What iron do you use?
>>
>>88785966
i will after i get the panel
although I guess I could post it to it though
I used a ts100, stock tip
I also have an ils tip but its only really useful at 0.2mm components pcb stuff
the soldering was the easiest part, just clean tip every couple of joints and wet it just the tiniest bit. you will need a rock solid steady hand the way i did it but im sure with a bit of setup you can rely less on precise movements
>>
>>88757494
Fuck XPS. The worst of all MacBook wannabe worse than MS Surface. Newest XPS literally have all things soldered with zero replaceable components (even the SSD get soldered)

>>88775505
L series is just watered down T/X series and decent upgrade from E series. That was on x90 series backwards. Compared to T/X series, L series were using lower quality components than T/X series on niche features.
>slower speed SDCard readers,
>lower quality screen (might have same resolutions, but worse color accuracy, worse response time, etc),
>low quality materials, bigger, bulkier, and heavier (compare L380 to X380 for example, and its yoga version).
>I/O ports like L series might have USB-C but no Thunderbolt, while T/X series have one. Same like USB-A where L series are slower than T/X
Targeted consumers wise, The best way I can explain is that L series is designed for your entry level, nameless. disposable mass corporate wagies while T/X series is for the few higher ups. From my experience, E series mostly used as embedded kiosk mode machine accompanying many industrial machines.
nowadays, T & X series degrade so bad that even L series could have same quality & in few cases, better than those (at least by value for money). Even current E series have improved much, yet still incomparable to L series (the current shit ThinkPad wannabe now is ThinkBook trash)
I still recommend you to pick entry level business laptops (L series, even E series) over consumer trash like Ideapads, avoid consumer laptops like a plague
>>
max price I should pay for a T480 i5 1080p 8gb ram to not get scammed?
>>
>>88771109
Its called zooming
>>
I bought a renewed t470s i5 7300u 8gb ram 256gb SSD for 390€. How much did I overpay?
>>
Has anyone ITT managed to do the q9000 mod for the T61 sucessfully? Theres some documentation on it on the english thinkpad forums but most of the hardware stuff and all of the files are on the german ones and i dont know how to read degenerate languages.
>>
>>88788664
~100
>>
>>88758757
>>88759090
you need to post the deets on this NOW. the x301 screen is hot ass and i would easily pay 100 buckd to get an adapter to use a higher res, better viewing angles lcd.
>>
>>88788664
a fucking lot
i paid less for practically the same machine in 2019
Realistically you should have paid 200euros at most unless it's autistic in europe or sm
>>
>>88788913
I really didn't find the same machine for any less than 300€ (yes I'm in Europe) and I was fine with overpaying a bit because it's supposed to be renewed and it has a 1 year warranty and fast shipping and needed it asap
>>
File: file.png (951 KB, 1260x709)
951 KB
951 KB PNG
What's the cheapest RDNA2 (Ryzen 6000) thinkpad? Is there nothing cheaper than the T14 G3?

Don't worry, I'm not the one paying for it.
>>
I think I might have blown the backlight fuse while trying to replace the LCD connector on my X230t since holding a flashlight over it, the lcd appears to work, but no light.

tl;dr where can I find schematics/ where is the fuse located in x230t?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (279 KB, 1600x1200)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
Thoughts on the Dell Latitude E6230? Is it comparable to the X230? I heard there's no wifi whitelist in the BIOS, is that correct?
>>
>>88790058
Howd you think you managed that
>>
File: t480.jpg (1023 KB, 4000x3000)
1023 KB
1023 KB JPG
>>88755196
just did the low power IGZO display upgrade on my T480, it was literally plug and play, i did not even disconnected the battery or anything, just unplugged old display, plugged new one and it werks

feelsgoodanons
>>
Are there any buisness non-thinkpad (dell?) laptops with socketed cpus AND an amd gpu? The only problem with my w530 is fucking nvidia with its gay ass pripietary drivers
>>
>>88790249
what
>>
Guys I'm kinda stupid I asked what hard drive to upgrade my x220 to a few threads ago and totally forgot to come back and check the answer. I've got 100 gb now and I need... more. Preferably a good price/space/reliability ratio. Reliability is definitely most important, I'm lazy about backups.

Also how do I get my OS and stuff transferred over if all I have is this x220? maybe I upload everything I have (like 100 gigs?) to backblaze object storage, stick the new HDD in, boot to a flashdrive, then pull stuff down from backblaze?
>>
File: 0dbe7f8fecca1548.jpg (68 KB, 987x749)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>88791292
Howd you think you managed that (blowing the backlight fuse while trying to replace the LCD connector on my X230t)
>>
just got my first thinkpad, anyone has any idea why my phone charger isn't also charging my thinkpad? The power button blinks 3 times when I plug it in and that's it. I dont have any other type C charger at the moment, but I'll try different ones later. Can it be that the one I'm using now can't provide enough power or whatever?
>>
>>88792377
because it needs 20 volts not 5 or 9
>>
>>88791360
I think it's because of that replacement connector I had. Maybe it didn't fit properly or made a short somehow...
It looks like the X230t also uses a different connector from the regular 230.
>>
>>88792461
thanx for helping out a retard, ill buy a suitable charger
>>
>>88792701
we all start somewhere
>>
Just bought an AMD T14s Gen 1 to replace my X1C4. Am I retarded for not buying the regular T14?
>>
>>88791312
1. Buy an ssd for system
2. Install system from scratch
3. Use usb to sata cable to access hdd
>>
>>88793746
aww but all my programs and configs and shit. I'm on xubuntu
>>
my battery capacity is at 66.6% and it lasts 1 to 2 hours, time to change it? (470s)
>>
>>88755196
Can the T430 Heatsink handle the i7-3632qm? I've heard most people use the 3612qm instead but both costs exactly the same for me. Will it overheat?
>>
>>88794551
t470s*
>>
File: file.png (181 KB, 680x680)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
i need to upgrade my elitebook 2560p with i7 2640m gen because intel hd 3000 no longer runs wow classic (it needs dx11+ now for some reason). is x1 carbon g3 with I7-5600U fine? i can get it for 320$. or should i get something even better? it will be mostly for uni (programming) and playing wow and indie games.
>>
File: 1616083682329.jpg (36 KB, 549x659)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>88790058
tl;dr where can I find schematics/ where is the LCD backlight fuse located on the x230t?
>>
>>88755196
There's no display whitelist for the X1 Extreme Gen 1 right?
I'm thinking of downgrading the 4k screen to a good 500 nit 1080p panel
>>
File: 1541207166125.jpg (83 KB, 788x685)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>88785940
Got the DisplayPort to HDMI cable in the mail today. Works like a charm! Thank to this DP I foolishly forgot about, I'm going to give the finger to the administration who suggested I needed a new laptop.
>>
File: 1663293219662113.png (318 KB, 403x428)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
x220 with 8gb ram and ssd, new ips panel, new wireless card, new 9 cell battery
320 yuro
>>
>>88757662
Im interested in it, and tried contacting you through r*ddit, but I cant. Can I get in touch with you another way?
>>
I’m thinking of buying aX1 Carbon gen 6 I5 8350U with 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD. It’s for 340 dollars and seems to be in good condition. Is it worth buying?
>>
How hard is it to swap the screen out in a T420? Has 8GB RAM, have a HDD and swapped out the disc drive for an SSD tray. All that's left is the ugly old screen. Not sure where to begin other than just searching ebay.
>>
How easy is it to fuck up while librebooting a Thinkapd T60? (5600)
>>
>>88790720
>dell
e6440 14" / e6540 15" 4th gen
e6430 14" / e6530 15" 3th gen
>>
>>88796093
Send me an email at tmp20220924@gmx.com
>>
bump
>>
File: External.jpg (190 KB, 1280x720)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
I heard you could connect an external graphics card to a Thinkpad dock and use it to render graphics for games and etc. How does this work and can every thinkpad/dock do this? (I have a T60)
>>
>>88801466
You can either use the dock or the expresscard slot
Neither has an advantage over the other iirc.
You need the big chungus dock that has the pci-e slot. Simply get a pci-e 1x to 16x adapter (uses a Usb3 cable) and stuff it in there. The slot is only wired for 1x anyway.

The ec one does not need a dock, it's what's in your pic.
I'd recc that as it's a bit more universal
>>
Okay here's the situation.
T60 needs a new cpu and panel. I have an CPU and panel from an R60. The R60 is the "wide screen model" and is physically larger than any R60 or T60 I've ever seen before.
What do?
>>
>>88803130
Install gentoo.
>>
>>88803717
I have gentoo on a librebooted T60
That doesn't tell me if the T60's mobo will fit in the big R60 now will it faggot
>>
>>88755196
Whats the point of getting these old laptops? Arent you limited in what you can use them for by not upgrading their hardware
>>
File: helter-skelter.jpg (132 KB, 776x800)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>88779487
>fuckhuge trackpad
>display looks like shit
>absolutely retarded keyboard layout
This is the most realistic AI-generated image I have ever seen.
>>
Can I get 1080p from my x230 with a VGA connector?
>>88804626
Yes you are limited in what you can use them for
No I'm not particularly limited by mine
>>
>>88804626
If your usage hasn't changed in the last 14 years, why would your laptop need to change?

For me it's a fun hobby to mod them and the keyboards are really nice.
In most cases the screen can also be replaced to be really nice.
Depending on the form factor, the laptop size can be decent.
You get to the point where as long as the power is sufficient, all the parts you touch and stare at for hours on end becomes the most critical part of the computer.
In my opinion, there is no beating a nmb 7 row and a trackpoint.
I've never felt a keyboard as good yet. It's just that much better than everything else out there.
So yes, stock they are still useful and have a few worthwhile features, it's when you get into modding them that it gets really fun
>>
>>88805398
Yes. You are outside of the comfort zone though so you need to use quality cables and short lengths.
Protip: there are no manufacturers making quality cables any more.
>>
>>88805451
So what's the ideal situation here?
Using a docking station for HDMI?
>>
>>88804626
Because the x200 and x230's are literally the best laptops ever made. Great for gaming? No, but if you are a paranoid ass schizo like the rest of us, they're the oldest machines you can libreboot/coreboot
>>
>>88805542
Oh wait I just realised that my laptop has a mini DisplayPort
Do I just want to get a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor?
>>
My hunt for a t42 in decent condition continues. Have 4 of them but they all are beat to shit
>>
File: i love cirno.jpg (61 KB, 500x500)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
I scoured thinkwiki and the frankenpad forum for thinkpads and can't find anyone who has installed a T60 14" motherboard into an R60 15" thinkpad. Is it even possible? They're not that different in size. Is it possible to use the frame/chasis for the T60 motherboard instead to make up for the difference in size?
>>
>>88801466
>>88801803
>Neither has an advantage over the other iirc.
The obvious advantage of ExpressCard is that you don't have to disassemble your laptop every time you want to connect an external GPU. Also, the only MiniPCIe slots actually wired for PCIe in Thinkpads are the WLAN card slots. WWAN card slots are only wired for USB and SATA because that's what the devices meant to be connected there use. And WLAN card slots usually have a whitelist, and besides that you need a shitty external WiFi adapter or Ethernet (or WWAN) to keep internet connectivity. MiniPCIe is maybe fine if you plan on using your laptop as a desktop, but why buy a laptop in the first place if that's the case? But yes, both interfaces provide PCIe x1 bandwidth (version depends on the Thinkpad in question, xx10 series and earlier can only do PCIe 1.0, xx20 series and above can do PCIe 2.0, P50 and above can do PCIe 3.0), so I guess they are the same from pure performance standpoint.
>>
>>88807231
https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=116981
Looks like according to this the 15" R60 is incompatible with anything from the T60 line. Fuck.
>>
What do you guys think about this: x220 with i7 2640m, 10GB ram, 128 GB SSD and mini dock series 3. 9 cell battery (1h30m running time) I have to replace. 175 dollars. I'll use it mostly for browsing, note-taking and watching youtube videos, nothing too heavy, but I've heard that i7 models have a heat issue.
>>
thinkbump
>>
File: Selection_010.png (35 KB, 412x422)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Should I upgrade anything here?
>>
I'm having trouble with a Thinkpad r51e.

I just bought it, excellent condition. It had a preinstalled Windows XP Home Edition and I just tried it out and everything worked fine, as well as the recovery partition with all the Vantage stuff. I however in my infinite wisdom decided to nuke the thing, delete the partition and do a fresh install of Win XP Pro. The designated purpose for the machine is to be fully offline, so the only things I did hardware wise were to install 1Gb of RAM (it had a 512mb module originally) and remove the Wifi card. I downloaded all the drivers from Lenovo's website. After installing the OS and the drivers however there is no audio. As in, the system doesn't even recognize any audio card or chip. Is this in any way related to my removing of the wifi card or is this some cryptic bullshit issue I am unaware of? I'm new to Thinkpads. Also I obviously have no recovery discs.
>>
>>88755926
>>88755971
I'm partial to the x-series myself, but equivalent t-series models should get comparable battery life (if anything, t-series will be slightly better).
I believe starting with the **40 line Lenovo switched from full power M-series CPUs to lightweight U-series CPUs with a lower TDP (meaning better battery). It's also worth getting one of the models that supports the battery bridge system; I know the **70 models do, but I think it started with the **50 or **60. If you don't know what that is, it's the design architecture they adopted for a while where systems have the traditional hot-swappable external battery as well as an additional internal battery. I have an x270 and get a solid 10-15 hour battery life, it's great. By comparison, I never got much more than 5 hours with the older models (x220, x230t, and t430s).
>>
>>88807848
go for an x230, ivy i7 runs cooler than sandy i7
>>
>>88810527
>I downloaded all the drivers from Lenovo's website.
Does Lenovo even provide downloads for machines this old? Try drivers from thinkpads.com
>>
>>88811324
Yes. I'll check out the site in any case.
>>
>still using lelnovo in 2005+17
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo#Security_and_privacy_incidents
>>
I got shipped a ThinkPad with only one battery (the model is supposed to have 2), this wasn't written anywhere in the description. Am I right for asking for a partial refund (to cover at least a part of the cost of the missing battery) or is this common practice? Like this the laptop lasts maybe 1 to 2 hours. Seller is bitching about the fact that I opened it (he put warranty stickers on the screws) and that now he doesn't have to refund me anything anymore but how the hell was I supposed to know if a battery was missing or dead or whatever without opening it. The machine wasn't even cheap, it was like 20% above the correct market price IF it had both batteries, but I needed it asap and it was the only seller with fast shipping
>>
>>88811756
>but how the hell was I supposed to know if a battery was missing or dead or whatever without opening it
The power manager in the OS can report how many batteries there are.
>>
>>88794213
Start new life. Build Back Better
>>
>>88755196
If I want something very light and portable is getting an old x series pad still worth it?
>>
File: 1626028780531.jpg (84 KB, 600x600)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
So uhh I've never been to this general before, but I read the OP and it has the T480 in there. I use one for work, and every once in a while they give us a new laptop and let us buy our current one if we want. I have no idea what I'm getting for my new one but they're offering me the T480 for 150 bucks. That's an easy cop, yeah? Not sure what a T25 keyboard mod is, but isn't 150 a steal?
>>
>>88812093
definitely, especially if you can coreboot
>>
>>88812157
If it's the 8th gen quad core and fhd (or above) version then yeah that's pretty good.
The T25 was a special version of the T480 that came with an old style keyboard like they used to put in the xx30 series and earlier. With a little bit of work you could put one in a normal T480, I dunno if it's worth though as I've never used those old keyboards.
>>
>>88812157
It's a steal, you should definitely get it. A T25 keyboard mod consists of swapping the original chiclet keyboard with the classic style keyboard that comes with the 25th anniversary Thinkpad.
>>
>>88812157
Big steal, I paid double for an inferior model
>>
>>88812870
>>88813012
Got lucky too because when I started I had an earlier model but it shat the bed and they only had T480s to replace it with. Otherwise I wouldn't be getting a T480 now.

>>88812801
>If it's the 8th gen quad core and fhd (or above) version then yeah that's pretty good.

I know it's a quad core but I don't know which gen.
>>
>>88790244
I know it's not the E6230, but I have an E6430 and I like it as a medium sized, chunky business laptop.
I'd assume the BIOS is similar, checking it right now and I don't see any wifi whitelist in either the Security or Wireless sections of the BIOS.
>>
>>88794213
if you copy your home folder over that should be getting your configs, assuming you were writing them to ~/.config/
on the programs, if you were installing them mostly through apt then there are ways to export a list of your installed packages and use that list as an input file for an apt install on the new system
>>
>>88805686
Yes
>>
>>88807382
No, the dock literally has a pci-e slot. Desktop slot.
You install the extension in the dock since it doesn't fit many gpus.
Just place thinkpad on dock and restart and it connects
>>
>>88794944
HELLO. I THINK THE BACKLIGHT FUSE OF MY THINKPAD X230 TABLET IS BLOWN. WHERE CAN I FIND SCHEMATICS?
>>
>>88784795
In my experience no, and its just going to get worse with time. I've lost three laptops to this exact cracking.
>>
>>88814696
alisaler.com
>>
>>88814696
just search the part marked F
>>
>>88810393
if you need to ask then no
>>
File: 166313444177590253.jpg (120 KB, 1247x699)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Is KDE my only option for high DPI? Seems scaling in Linux is garbage. I have a T480 with a 1080p display and everything looks like shit.
>>
>>88813061
If it's a quad then it's an 8th gen. Some t480's have a dual core 7th gen in them, though for $150 that wouldn't be the end of the world.
>>
>>88815817
I use xfce on my 1080p x270, the scaling is a pain in the arse but I manged to get everything not looking too small after going through several text and window settings.
>>
>>88811488
you can replace the BIOS on some Thinkpad models with free software alternatives, which already makes them miles better than virtually any other brand of consumer laptops, glowie-kun
>>
>>88816150
Do you have proper hiDPI scaling in Qt file selection dialog in applications like VLC or VirtualBox? Because that is the one thing I could never get to work. hiDPI scaling in Qt applications works fine except the file selection dialog.
>>
I want a reliable laptop with long battery screen, good linux support, decent performance, and decent screen for under 200 dollars. Doesn’t have to be a thinkpad.
>>
>>88815817
most freetards (and a smaller majority of winfags) don't have hidpi displays so there's not much demand for this. so if GNOME and KDE don't support it you may be fugged
>>
I need a dock for a t480s.
I just have 2 1080p monitors, a mouse and a keyboard.
There's a lot of options, some are like $30 others are like $400. Please advise.
>>
>>88815817
Just so everyone knows this is a bot
>>
>>88807231
Why do you specifically want R60? I didn't think the R was an upgrade over the T, normally it's t61 to t60 chassis. I'm guessing you're just doing it for your autism which is also fine.
>>
>>88816150
I've used xfce before (of the big three the one I prefer) but like you said you have to do a shit load of config to get scaling even kind of correct.

>>88817536
Yeah, I figure. I was on T420,T430 and X220 before moving over to T480. Doesn't much matter when you're stuck at 1366x768

>>88818064
Not a bot, what makes you think that?

Probably just gonna stick with Windows for the time being until I figure something out. Don't mind KDE really, but it kind of sucks only QT stuff has fractional scaling.
>>
File: IMG_3543.jpg (47 KB, 1067x600)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>88795742
Looks like you got a deal my man.
>>
>>88790351
>low power IGZO display
What's this, anon, sounds cool.>>88801466

>>88801466
This website is based for this, https://egpu.io
I've personally used exp gdc (with T440p) with the external Dell 220W adapter (very good choice), but the PCIE2 link was unstable, so I scrapped it and sold it.
>>
thinkbump
>>
what do I ask/look for when buying a used t470? found one for $200
>>
>>88818934
Its just what I have on hand and wanted to try anon no need to bulli
>>
>>88813468
I don't think a BIOS reports it has a whitelist unless you try to install a card and get an error booting afterwards.
>>
>>88820819
Supervisor password
Processor
Battery health
>>
File: ThinkPad.jpg (3.15 MB, 3576x2268)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
Good Morning sirs
>>
gonna take apart my x61 to clean the fan, wish me luck.
>>
>>88821513
based, I miss my X61s sometimes
>>
File: 1493857914333.jpg (311 KB, 560x560)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
I ordered my X1 Nano gen 2 like two weeks ago and the shipping keeps getting pushed back. Should I just buy it off this Amazon reseller for $300 more? I called their customer service and the pajeet just transferred my call in the middle of "helping" and then I was hung up on.
>>
I have the following conditions.
I am not an addict but if I do play a certain game I'm going to play the game for every waking hour that I am not required to be at university for, this is bad.
I want a laptop that can sit at my desk and do everything I could with my desktop except for play video games and run it on my 4k monitor.
I need to run Matlab programs which can take a while.
Portability is not really an issue.
Do you think a T480 with an i5 8350 would be sufficient?
>>
>>88816465
>still using trannyboot in 2013+9
kek
>>
>>88790351
Did you buy the YOU MUST GIVE US YOUR PANEL'S SERIAL NUMBER OR WE WON'T SELL YOU ONE one, or another one? Did you buy adapter brackets separately or did you just get them with the thing? Inquiring minds want to know.
>>
What to upgrade to from T480s? I want better speakers and battery life, that's all. T490s has fragile top cover, feels like thin cheap plastic compared to T480s.
>>
>>88813468
Do you have i5 or i7? Which one is better?
>>
>university
>university
>university
fuck off and buy a macbook
>>
>>88821513
Status report: I accidentally stripped a screw. Plan on using super glue, hot glue, or solder on the screw and a screw driver to remove it. Not now though, I'm too tired.
>>
>>88810669
I see, thanks. 5 hours seems fair for the work I'll be doing on it. I'll be getting the T430 with i5 3320M @8GB RAM + 120gb SSD storage for around $165.

Can I trust chinks for external batteries or am I asking for an IED?
>>
With small ones like that you can typically get them with a good pair of ultra fine needlenose plyers or forceps. Just gotta use hand strength and be careful not to maul up the hole around the screw.
>>
>>88822571
Please bros
>>
>>88825448
depends on the game
the 8th gen cpus came with a fucking beefy gpu, shit can run all games today if some are at ultra low settings

4k limits you hard but you could just do 1/4 scale
>>
>>88825685
I only play games at 1080p and 60fps so it's not going to be a problem
I won't be able to play DOTA 2 at 1080p and consistent 60fps afaik
>>
Just bought a T530 for 80 bucks. Doesn't have an charger though and it's midnight over here so the seller isn't responding until morning methinks, what are the chances of getting a circle charger port to a rectangle one? I don't know much about the larger ThinkPad models, but I'm guessing the rectangle charger port is meant for models that require more power (for the NVIDIA GPU, for example) and the one I just bought doesn't have one. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1663695171460557.png (188 KB, 401x512)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
>>88825779
>Dota 2
>a game from 15 years ago
>can't run at 1080 60 on a kaby lake laptop
>>
>>88825877
If it doesn't have Nvidia gpu, it should boot and work fine off a 90w.
My slim tip to barrel adapter just claims it's a 90w no matter what charger brick you use, so I'd assume most or all of them do
>>
>>88825958
Well it probably could on low graphics
>>
Uhhh I want a lappy if I ever travel and shit. I would only ever do light gaming but emulate on it. Would be a out 1k budget. This the right place for a suggestion?
>>
File: 1663506415919026.webm (1.85 MB, 960x540)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB WEBM
Is there any major difference between T470s and T480s? Should one be avoided?
>>
>>88825877
The rectangle charger was introduced with the next generation. It still uses the same voltage and same wattage. I think they did change to the rectangle form because it narrower and allows smaller bodies for notebooks.
>>
>>88823973
>Waaahhh why aren't you a useless neet reeee get a MacBook
No, my gf has a p1 and x230t for uni, I used an x230t for uni and now I have a p1 g4 for work.
>>
>>88828319
T480s has much better quad core CPUs, T470s only has dual core, t480s also has better thunderbolt bandwidth
>>
>>88823079
>better speakers
Then stop buying different laptops and use headphones or a portable speaker.
>>
File: IBM_logo.svg.png (5 KB, 800x321)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
I miss this old little grumpy boomers like you would not believe.
>>
>>88828319
Both should be avoid because they only have internal batteries.
>>
>>88815004
>>88814897
Thanks!
>>
>>88828720
God I wish I had a qt x230 using trans gf
>>
Why do I hoard old thinkpads? I'm talking t60 and t42.
>>
>>88795742
Wouldn't pay more than 200 for that. At least in my country I can get much cheaper deals in the 80€~ range and it is easy enough to do the upgrades yourself
>>
>>88814897
>>88815004
There's no schematic for the tablet version though :(
>>
>>88829306
Unfortunately, she has no penis.
>>
>>88830494
How disappointing
>>
my thinkpad currently only has one out of the two batteries that its supposed to have. Power statistics (Ubuntu built in software) tells me that my battery capacity it's at 66.6%; does this mean that the one battery that there is is at its maximum capacity and the missing 33.3% is the missing battery or that the one battery that there is is at 66.6% of its capacity? If the latter it just seemed odd that it's exactly two thirds
>>
>>88831050
Unless ubuntu does battery stuff in some weird way I doubt it's counting the missing battery.
>>
>>88823703
i5, don't know if the i7's any better since I've never had it, but I'm guessing it'd be more powerful
still, the i5 gets the job done for me fine
(ignore the lack of "(You)" in scrot, had posted from desktop initially)
>>
>>88830494
Proof?
>>
Is there a really cheap laptop that could run games on bluestack? I need a machine that can do all kind of excel/office stuff but I would also want to be able to leave it running grinding stuff with bluestacks and that requires like 9gb of ram?
>>
>x220t
>open a window for 30 seconds
>go to a dark screen
>still see a shadow of the window and all the text clearly
>>
>>88825958
probably a gpu issue?
>>
Fn+c should do the same as Ctrl+c, then I wouldn't be confused every time I mix them up.
>>
I just bought a T400 with Windows 10 on it off of eBay. Pretty badass
>>
>>88836556
are you going to libreboot it?
>>
>>88755196
wtf is wrong with manufacturers today why don't they do removable batteries fuck em
>>
>>88788742
They posted it on thinkpads.com
https://github.com/OhYou-0/thinkpad/tree/master/x301/FHDmod
>>
e14 gen2 with a 1135G7 vs t480 with a 8350U?
at the same price
>>
>>88840424
E14 Gen 3 with a 5700U
Then upgrade the screen
>>
What am I going to expect with a t480 w/ i7 and the mx-150 as a window machine and/or Linux. im going to be the king of the shitpile right?
>>
Totally clueless on Thinkpads here but a relative wants a new laptop because the one she has now is super fucking slow. Like I'm talking 5-10 minutes to boot then instant 50% CPU usage and then maxed out when opening a browser. Unusable.

All she wants really is browsing the internet, playing Facebook shit, watching videos and using Zoom. What sort of Thinkpads should I be looking at?
Would really appreciate any advice.
>>
>>88757819
Newfag alert
>>
>>88835964
Fn isn't seen by the OS, only the embedded controller so the EC would need to be reprogrammed to send the ctrl+c scancodes.
>>88841558
a T430 would be plenty
>>
>>88803767
Have you tried licking a urinal?
>>
>>88755196
i'm getting a t15 gen 3 for college
anything i should do when i buy it?
>>
>>88841874
You fell for the expensive laptop for college meme
>>
>>88841898
anything else besides that?
>>
>>88841981
Get one with a non crap keyboard
>>
>>88841874
I'm being unironic when I say that if you're going to waste that much money to just open Word and Excel get an M1 Macbook
>>
File: Marching Band.jpg (63 KB, 800x776)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
I’m waiting on a T60 in the mail, when it arrives I’m gonna install Windows XP on it, connect it to a dock, use a classic IBM keyboard and mouse combo, and then I’ll connect the dock to a CRT monitor through VGA. I plan to collect physical copies of retro games like Fallout, Diablo, Doom, Half Life, The Sims, Roller Coaster Tycoon etc. and play them through the CD Drive on the T60. I plan to libreboot it as well and maybe install a Linux Distro/Open BSD to an extra drive if there is any. Are there any unforeseen obstacles in my plan? Pic related is the tube I chose because it’s the cheapest one I found but I’ll probably get any CRT monitor I find at my local electronic recycle center.
>>
I'm going to start studying CS next year and I'm going to be learning webdev in my spare time and do small projects so no large projects to compile maybe some machine learning in python
I want a laptop which I can put on a monitor at 1080p with a dock or maybe two monitors, have 3-4 i3 windows open, vscode, firefox, etc and I don't want any slowdown
Which laptops are suitable? I'm poor so I can't splurge on university laptops like most people can
>>
>>88842171
What's your budget
>>
>>88842188
Probably $800 or so
Buying refurbished
>>
>>88842202
I thought you said you were poor
>>
>>88842211
Well I have a casual job and I'm just real fucking stingy with my money
>>
Is there anything bad about the T440p? Found one for $140 in nice condition, want to buy it to try using linux. How upgradeable is it?
>>
>>88842171
Do you need a dedicated GPU
>>
>>88842500
Based on what I've said I assume I don't
Do I?
>>
>>88842109
read the thread
>>
File: 1645651409176.png (507 KB, 1070x601)
507 KB
507 KB PNG
FUCK I WISH MY T420 STILL WORKED FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
WHY THE FUCK DID I BUY AN X230
>>
>>88842562
whats wrong with the x230
>>
>>88842573
Screen is too small
>>
is there something weird with ubuntu and trackpoints?
it feels different compared to win10
like it lacks a lot of fine creep, I feel like i need to exert more pressure and more control to move small amounts
>>
>>88842525
You've said you wanted to do ml with python
>>
>>88842651
Yeah I want to learn it
>>
>>88842586
13.3 swap it
>>
>>88842663
If you're just doing scikit then probably not
In that case on eBay there are laptops like T14s with AMD 5000 APUs or latitudes and elitebooks with 11th Gen Intel processors in your budget
>>
>>88842729
Those are very expensive
I should have specified my budget is in AUD
>>
>>88843020
>>88843020
>>88843020
>>
>>88842999

Go on grays and buy a refurbished thinkpad. I picked up a specced up X1C9 + warranty for 1800AUD that way. I've seen older models go for a couple of hundred

Make sure you factor in the buyers premium.
>>
>>88843264
Well I'm only looking to buy a refurbished thinkpad
I've never heard of grays before, what's the difference between grays and ebay/PC refurbishing companies?
>>
>>88837359
Nah
>>
>>88844349
You are actually fucking retarded, and not in an autistic way either. Why in the hell would you buy a thinkpad that fucking old if you are not going to libreboot and run Linux on it? Are you even aware of the fact that W10 is so bloated that it'll take probably 3 minutes just to open a browser on the thing? The thing came out in the vista era. I have a T500 (only MARGINALLY better than a T400) running Parabola with DWM and I couldn't even imagine how slow it would be to perform any tasks on W10, not saying that my T500 is slow, but it's DEFINITELY not fast.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.