[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1633741642942.jpg (384 KB, 2000x1542)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
remember when you bought it you had dozens of cool ideas regarding what to do with it?
yeah, now it collects dust somewhere on your shelf doesn't it?
>>
not really, my sons use a 4 as a desktop pc, and i still use my 3 as a basic home server
>>
I used it as a tv box until I realized there were better solutions
>>
No, I did use it for something cool. It's a timelapse camera in the window of my family's cabin, taking photos throughout the seasons so we can see the snow fall and then melt and leaves bloom and then wither.
>>
>>87474186
That is cool. Pray tell more.
>>
File: 1641497370253.jpg (277 KB, 1790x937)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>87474157
>now it collects dust somewhere on your shelf doesn't it?
nope.
one for pihole + unbound and vpn to home
one as a webserver
one as a remote backup server
soon will plant one at my friends house as a residential vpn
>>
>>87474157
Still polishing my project. Turns out it has 5V on UART instead of 3.3, so I need to re-test my controller and maybe use a USB one.
>>
>>87474232
uptime?
>>
>>87474157
nope i just bought a pi3 a week ago. arrives in a couple of days
>>
>>87474184
Which better solutions did you find?
>>
I have a pi4 server set up to stream plex content
>>
>>87474157
Kinda. Turns out what I needed is an Arduino, and even they've got more powerful STM32 versions now, eventhough I don't even need the extra power.
They might be practical for something with a proper display and touchscreen, but 20x2 LCDs are all I've ever needed.
>>
>>87474157
My friend gave me a Pi Zero, I never even took it out because to even use the damn thing you’d have to buy a bunch of adapters. That actual requirement price is too close to a Pi 4.

It was free
>>
>>87474181
you don't need a home server
>>87474252
2 more weeks
>>
>>87474157
use mine everyday for homeserver and pihole

>>87474478
fuck off tard
>>
>>87474157
>ideas
no, i use it a lot, its just that the quality is dogshit and it constantly crashes whenever i try to use it for anything more than a 5 minute quickie SPI flash
if i wanted to fuck with ARM machines i'd build a custom board based on an Allwinner or Rockchip chipset
>>
>>87474823
>it constantly crashes
It was an SD card in my case. Crashed after five minutes of rsync, too.
>>
>>87474932
my issues seem to be power-based. the microusb connector is too flaky to handle the current it needs
>>
>>87474416
i have an ups too but it only supplies up to an hour
>>
Nope. In fact mine's overloaded and I need to get more of them.
>>
File: Capture.png (82 KB, 957x381)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
Use mine as a home server, doing all this, as well as a backup location for another external server. Works great.
>>
>>87474157
My kids use these as computers. My daughters love them!
>>
File: 022.png (158 KB, 723x666)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
I never bought one. And never will.
>>
if they're gathering dust, that's a you problem.
>pi zero w
wifi spotify endpoint for some speakers plugged in to the kitchen anyone on the wifi can see
>pi 4 x2
media box for two rooms, synchronized watch states
>another pi 4
my main router. old tp link archer c7 v2 could not handle natting full-speed symmetric gigabit fiber but pi4 handles it like a champ
>pi3
with a wifi dongle, isolated wireless camera AP to collect images from the cheap creepy chinese wifi cameras i have scattered around without granting them internet access, then re-hosting just the images onto its ethernet-side interface for me to get at safely
>>
>>87474157
Currently running transmission + sonarr +radarr sometimes it struggles since it's a rpi3 but it's way better than having another computer sucking more energy for the same task
>>
>>87474157
>pi zero w
running pihole 24/7
>pi 4
jellyfin / qbittorrent / navidrome
>>
>>87474157
Got one as a gift despite me saying that I would just rather have a computer. I don't even know where it is now but I tried to make it useful but it was either way too slow or way too unreliable.
>>
>>87474157
my project when they reach a reasonable price:
pi + 1366x768 laptopscreen converted into monitor as a daily driver for shitposting, YT and downloading epubs for a kobo clara.
selling gaming pc/thinkpad.
anyone that needs anymore than 10w idle at any one time is a consumer.
>>
Silent wireguard box plugged into my router.
>>
>>87475890
What is that your using?
>>
>>87474157
PiHole
Octoprint
SkyAware
WeeWx/Weather34
AllSky
3CX SBC
HomeBridge
OpenWebRX
motionEyeOS
GPS PPS NTP server
PiKVM
pwnagotchi
>>
I use mine to play my vita on a bigger screen

https://github.com/SilentNightx/VitaDockPlus
>>
>linux servers aren't useful bro
>>
>USB4VC for using modern kb/mice on old PCs
>MT32-pi
>>
>>87474416
>nor care
Based as fuck. Uptime fags are basically just bragging about how insecure their servers are.
>>
>>87474157
Mine runs my automated home turrets. It uses OpenCv to target anything with a blue helmet. In roblox of course
>>
>>87474157
Haven't bought one yet but considering it to run Pianoteq in my zombified Clavinova midi controller. Also thought about an aquarium or vivarium controller but I figure that would be more fun with an actual microcontroller.
>>
If it had full PCIe x16 support (or even x8) I could see getting one and using it as a dedicated Folding@Home machine. GPU doing all the work and the super low-energy CPU just feeding it the work units. Sadly they are limited to PCIe X1 and even then they don't support GPUs on Raspberry Pi OS.
>>
>>87474157
I long for the time to set it up for its application and THEN get another one to set up for the other projects of which I don't know which will be first. Have the todo list and everything!
>>
>>87474157
I had a Pi 2 Model B collecting dust. Now it's a PiHole. Not too shabby. Might get another Pi and make a security camera system.
>>
>>87476685
>dedicated Folding@Home machine
Do cucks really?

Just mine eth instead you fag.
>>
yep, it sits on my self collecting dust and doing internet routing
if you see this post it has passed through my pi
>>
>>87474157
I have two. running syncing piholes and tor. Work for me. Ran OSMC for years too and smokeping.
>>
>>87474157
Yes, because everything that I could have done with it is handled by a container on my home server.
>>
Not sure I'd really NEED a Pi for this but I like the idea of building a toy that's just a bunch of arcade buttons and levers and when you press them there would be a super low res screen, maybe even something like a light brite screen, that would light up or play a small animation or something. Or maybe no screen and just get light-up arcade buttons or something.
>>
>>87474478
>you don't need a home server
>doesn't post loli
fucking imposter
>>
>>87474157
I daily drive mine. It's the only computer I own until my boards and my screen come. 4g ram is enough to run compilers for personal projects, though I really want a 8g compute module 4.
>>
>>87474478
fuck off
>>
Yeah, my cool idea was to have it as a fucking around machine. And sure enough, here I am, fucking around on it.
>>
>>87474157
jokes on you, i never had ideas, just coomsum
>>
>>87474157
Nah, one is a vpn into my network from anywhere in the world, the other is a phone system for my business.
>>
I just moved to a new state and I'm trying to find a house/place I'll stay in for more than a year before going full goon mode with my Pi's
For now they serve as a back up PC when I'm traveling
>>
File: 1652805088966.jpg (165 KB, 994x1024)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>87474157
Good way to bait people into sharing their raspberry pi projects with you.
>>
>>87474157
You fool. I bought 100 of them for a project and sold them for a 400% markup. Easiest 10k ever.
>>
>>87474157
Mine is used to run pumps out of my 150L drums of Vodka wash into my boiler. I can make literally hundreds of liters of Vodka and not pay a single dollar in tax lmao. People that don't know what to do with them are retards
>>
>all those söycore applications for home servers, media centers, dns and vpns
how the fuck did you live vefore you bought your pi? I have lived my life without ever needing any of aforementioned
>>
File: ENHrgy0U0AEwrBn.jpg (127 KB, 768x1100)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>87474157
Kinda?
I've got a Zero on pihole duty, a Pi 400 which I use with a recycled ipad screen for background noise YouTube videos or looking walkthroughs up when playing vidya on my TV, I gave away a Pi 4b with OSMC to replace my girlfriend's Chromecast, and I have another technically collecting dust while waiting on a half-decent external desktop HDD sale to make myself a poverty-tier NAS.

When Xenoblade 3 comes out I'll especially be very glad to have my shitty little coffee table PC, because I know what I'm like with big open world games.
>>
>>87474157
My 3b+ gathers dust, as I've been only using it as an SPI flashing tool. I also used it once to verify my C application works just fine on ARM.
>>
>>87474157
I never bought one. Like many of these toys, it's a solution looking for a problem.
>>
Have several Pi4 that were meant to run a headless kiosk that read badges from a barcode scanner, did a simple web request and pushed the response to a thermal receipt printer (serial). But they don't work for shit because the python serial module is a piece of shit that relies on constant polling, and they end up having to be rebooted about every half hour because it borks the connection and leaves the port it in inconsistent state. Basic rewrite of the printing module in C is more stable, but still needs work to get it fully implemented, so they are just sitting on the shelf for now.
>>
>>87474157
No, I remember wanting to buy one and knowing exactly what I'd do with it, but I'm poor.
>>
if they were like 10 theyd be justified but $140 lmao
anything you can make with them is going to be more expensive than what already exists
>>
mine is on a "le printserver" duty currently
>>
>>87481495
Also yeah, just buy a fucking pc at $140.
>>
>>87474342
>>87474184
Gonna second this and also bump.
>>
>>87474157
pi4 for retro gaming
>>
>>87474157
>remember when you bought it you had dozens of cool ideas regarding what to do with it?
Not really, bought it as a toy. Then it served as a VPN gateway for a few years until I replaced it with something that has Gigabit.
>>
>>87481502
the design for this thing is probably out there anyways.
how hard would it be to just copy paste this shit and have assembled in china lol
>>
>>87476086
appears to be something called 'flame'
https://github.com/pawelmalak/flame
>Flame is self-hosted startpage for your server. Its design is inspired (heavily) by SUI. Flame is very easy to setup and use. With built-in editors, it allows you to setup your very own application hub in no time - no file editing necessary.
>>
>>87481856
yeah i dont know. oh well atleast get an irange pi or sionething.
>>
>>87476685
>they are limited to PCIe X1
RockPi 4 has PCIe 3.0 x4, but for compute stuff you could probably get away with even a single link without affecting performance. That is of course assuming there's no problems with lack of space to map the memory region because of BAR issues.
>>
>>87474157
its a nice emulation box
>>
One serves as my home nas/backup
>>
>>87476776
Sounds like a job for µC.
>>
File: 6502_Monster_A1_1.jpg (336 KB, 1800x1200)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>87476685
I had hoped Raspberry Pi V would be here by now. Hopefully it will have more powerful GPU and IO when it arrives.
>>
Mine has gotten a lot of use. Kodi box / retropi arcade.
>>
File: B03-Pacman2.jpg (1.65 MB, 5184x3456)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>87476776
A Pi powered fidget cube?
https://youtu.be/O79Jcy9ZclM
>>
>>87474157
I'm using mine to make this post.
It's a desktop replacement. Outside of anything graphically intensive, there's nothing you can't do on a RPI4. Even saying that GIMP has great performace. It's even completely silent and boots in a few seconds.
Only having 32GB SD card is a drawback but I usually just store everything on a HDD connected via usb if I need more storage. That or I use my LANs nfs.
I'm even using my PI to allow blocked devices on the network i'm connected to connect to the internet with IP fowarding.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
>>
I use it as a spy cam to record my sister while she is showering
>>
>>87485000
There is always this one post ... also checked
>>
I monitor my cat's food with it.
>>
>>87485000
Would you mind sharing?
>>
Every time I come here there's somebody seething hard about those things.
Show me on the doll where SBCs touched you.
>>
>>87474157
yeah :(
>>
>>87474157
all mine run klipper
not a waste
>>
remember when u bought it it was cheap
>>
>tfw no ideas because I can use a VPS for 99% of what I would do
>>
>>87474157
It's true for the rpi 1 I got way back then, my rpi 3 is running my 3d printer
>>
>>87474225
Jeff is that you
>>
NERDS BTFOD
>>
>>87474157
>now it collects dust somewhere on your shelf doesn't it
yes but it's still running (however my sd card turned into read only after all these years)
>>
Id actually get another one and a piboy xrs. Id replace the screen with a touch panel and make a ghetto steam deck and add a desktop for docked mode.
Unfortunately raspberry pi scalpers have ruined it
>>
>>87474157
Thinking of using mine as a pihole.
Anyone got one? How effective is it?
>>
File: 1640626781463.jpg (45 KB, 464x701)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>87474157
did some experiment with it then sold it for higher than I bought cause of the chip shortage
>>
>>87485579
pihole i quite usefull for bllocking ads on all devices on your lan. but since it works on dns bases, not all ads can be blocked when the same domain is used to deliver content and ads like in the yt app.
i currently have just over 300k blacklisted domains on my list. from all the dns requests, ab 20% is blocked
>>
i use it to redistribute an open wireless network across my household.
>>
>>87485579
No, it doesn't block ads on YouTube.
It's great to block trackings domains, basic ads, maybe if you want to block a certain site.
>>
I use mine from time to time and I'm glad I got it but yeah it kind of sits on a shelf most of the time
>>
>>87474213
>pray tell more
I worked at apple in one of their retail stores last year. Was pure hell, the thing I remembered most was the mid 30's to mid 40's fat ugly white women would say this all the time to eachother in british accents. Fuck you for making me remember those whores.
>>
I'm using mine to steal cable from my parents that live 200 miles away from me.
>>
>>87474157

I use it to run a fileshare on my network. Plex is a fucking pain because it wants to have a UI like Netflix or whatever, so I use Kodi so I can play the video files that I want.
>>
>>87475962
>collect images from the cheap creepy chinese wifi cameras i have scattered around without granting them internet access
wtf do you have a dungeon or something?
>>
>>87474157
Nope. Mine's blocking ads running Pi Hole right now.
>>
>>87474157
I bought it cause it was a class requirement
>>
My original B runs Octoprint
Three RPi 3s run touchscreen displays for my zwave-based security system. One of those runs Home Assistant in Docker.
A B+ or whatever ran my TV but was too slow
>>
>>87486507
i wish! i want to finish my basement and turn it into a kink room. but no, i just have a house. i want eyes on every door and out to the garage and parking area.
i have some sketch people in my past and i want to have video proof if/when they show up to fuck with me.
the big camera systems are expensive and inflexible and have all these creepy-ass cloud connected features. the cheap chinese wifi cameras are easy to set up and customize but are all hard to secure and/or phone home to creepy-ass chinese bullshit.
so... quarantine network and proxy for the cheap shit it is.
>>
>>87486624
Run BlueIris and put generic chink onvif cameras on their own network that can talk to it.
>>
>>87486705
i mean, it's basically what i do with a pi and hostapd. it's its own wifi network just for the fuckers with no route to the internet.
>BlueIris
looks neat, but i already have the core functions of what i want in a trashy little react/node thing that was free!
>>
>>87474157
i'm running adguard home, a discord music bot, and a public xmr blockchain node that was routed through tor on a pi 4 anon. i even had p2pool running at some point. on top of that using the desktop version helped me learn linux and promted my full switch to fedora. it's quite useful unless you're lazy brainlet who impulsively exchanges currency for goods.
>>
File: EPuNfSaU8AA2NIc.jpg (2.76 MB, 3000x1800)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
>>87480179
>with a recycled ipad screen
Oh yeah, FYI,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001689746001.html
It's a 9.7" 2K monitor with 2ms latency for $50. Get on this shit.
>>
Ive always wondered what these would be like with a tiny ass low power gpu...something the same size as a pi
>>
>>87474157
I don't understand, why would you order one if you don't use it? You just collect them like Steam games? Doesn't make sense to me. I have one that runs my home automation.
>>
>just use it as a pihole
I don't want my family thinking I'm spying on them. doesn't it list all the websites everyone visits?
>just host a web server with it
I don't blog or own any websites
>just use it as a home server
I watch movies/tv shows on free streaming sites
>just use it for games from the 80s
not interested

If it didn't have such a cool name, I would have never bought it
>>
>>87488326
You don't need to make it the primary DNS server for your entire network. You could always just point your devices to it leaving everyone else to use your gateway as primary DNS.
>>
>>87474157
Still use mine for the music player
>>
>>87474157
>remember when you bought it you had dozens of cool ideas regarding what to do with it?
not really, they were just really, really cheap computers to fuck around with
>yeah, now it collects dust somewhere on your shelf doesn't it?
two of them do, two are in use

seriosuly, my Pis have pretty much always just been another computer and I've never done anything fancy with them, except for one time where I got a Pi Zero for a class project at uni
would have just used my Pi 2 for that, which was my only Pi at the time, but it would undervolt pretty bad when I had the whole thing hooked up and running off of a powerbank, using the Zero fixed that completely and was cheaper than getting a better powerbank

my Pi 2 does just sit in a drawer now that I have a Pi 4 (which mostly just plays music and shows the weather anyway, with occasional web browsing -- I have multiple real computers next to it, but I don't leave them on as much)
and that Pi Zero also sits in a drawer too since I have a Zero W that runs as a server and I'll occasionally use it to ferry small files around the network

kinda do want to find a use for my Pi 2 and Pi Zero but like, eh
both would be vastly more useful with onboard wifi so I could stick them around the house as little terminals so I can VNC into a real computer (or even just the Pi 4 lol) -- but the connection is hilariously spotty with any USB wifi adapter I've had on them, and I've recorded a 20000+ms (yes, twenty seconds) ping lmao
>>
>>87474157
my 4B sits in a corner somewhere with 100+ day uptime completely forgotten until I need to test some kind of basedboy *nix application I can't run on my SysV and BSD machines
>>
So why the fuck are people scapling fucking raspberry pi's?
>>
>>87489400
To sell them for a higher price. It's called market efficiency.
>>
>>87474157
Pi Model B+ running pihole 24/7
Pi4 is a 3TB DLNA server / NAS
>>
File: final44.jpg (382 KB, 1159x1579)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
Today I will remind them
>>
>>87474157
Once upon a time, the faggot known as OP woke up one morning and was very sad. He really wanted a Raspberry Pi, but was tired of waiting in line behind the rest of the planet, who have all been trying to get their hands on just one of these things for nearly a year. Suddenly, OP had a fabulously stupid idea! The happy little faggot created a demoralization thread, in the hopes he'll single-handedly change the situation with a 4chink post. While OP was watching the thread, eagerly awaiting for more replies, his mother died in her sleep.
>>
>>87474157
Literally helped me jump from help desk to sysadmin by giving me a cheap way to host at home. Still use it as smb server. Lol
>>
>>87475962
How did you use your pi 4 as a router with one nic?
>>
>>87489755
i added 2 more. 2x tp-link usb3 gigabit adapters expressly capable of full duplex gigE. usb3 provides more than enough bandwidth for the two of them, and the cpu is plenty powerful to handle the extra load incurred by the USB adapters plus routing.
physical eth is wan, one adapter is trunked vlans to my main managed switch, one adapter is trunked vlans to my main wifi ap
>>
>>87489755
not him but i just bought a USB ethernet adapter for eth1 (to switch) and use the internal one for eth0 (to WAN)
>>
Mine powers my paintball gun robot that can be controlled in real time from anywhere in the world, check it out it's live pretty much all the time: https://remocon.tv/5fa8b5d8f5101758e9559665
If people want to upload their own robots to be internet controllable then reach out to the people on that site. There is an API and everything.
>>
why is it so heckin expensive nowadays
>>
>>87491002
Inflexible demand and limited supply.
>>
>>87474181
This. It's excellent to run as a cheap PC for your grandma. Or being a small server or node for some P2P client.
>>
>>87491002
they just produce a few at the time.
its more profitable to produce 100 pis and sell them for $140 each that make 1000 and sell them fir $10
>>
>>87492680
They made 7 million units in 2021
>>
>>87491002
Lots of demand, hard to supply (especially today).
>>
>>87474157
I have 5 running actively, and one plugged in for a kit project.

One is fine server/dlna/vpn, one is octoprint/vpn, one is cameras/girls, one is for my garage door opener, and one is for cute flask side projects. I also have one which is powering an autonomous RC car a la DonkeyCar project. I have three more Zero Ws in reserve currently, and am glad because they now are worth 80-100 dollars each.
>>
>>87474157
I've bought one, had a lot of ideas what to do with it, and now that they are expensive I can't choose which idea to go with since committing locks me out of the other ones.
>>
I can't find this shit for a reasonable price anywhere, kill me.
>>
>>87485511
>Jeff is that you
fuck off Joe
>>
>>87493110
Get an old smart phone instead faggot
>>
>>87490924
that's a creative use desu, godspeed anon
>>
i hope the recession rapes you stupid consumercattle in the ass. Buying pokemon cards and nfts and shit
fuck you
>>
>>87474951
Good thing it has power pins and you can solder.
>>
>>87474157
it's powered on for my self-hosted anime server but last time I access it like 2 months ago
>>
>>87493110
What do you want to do with it?
>>
>>87494175

Ironically setup an automatic purchase server so I don't have to have my regular PC on all the time.
>>
>>87494222
If you can do that with not a lot of resources, look at old thin clients.

I have a Dell WYSE 3040 thin client running as a VPN gateway. Bought it because it was a) available b) cheaper than a Raspberry Pi c) did Gigabit. 55€ shipped on Ebay.
>>
>>87494257

I suppose something like that would work, but unfortunately most of these niche products are hard to find and/or expensive in Europe (or maybe I just don't know where to look).
>>
>>87494286
Go to Ebay, search for "thin client" or something, filter by location: Europe.
>>
>>87494319

Thanks man.
Maybe a Dell Wyse 5060.
I assume there's no issue running arch/ubuntu on these right?
>>
>>87494415
I'm running Debian on my Wyse 3040. It was a bit of a pain in the ass to get running because of UEFI shenanigans, but possible.
>>
>>87474181
You mean your wife's son, right?
>>
File: 1606453961365.jpg (167 KB, 1600x827)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>87474157
>what to do with it?
These threads come up often. Time to make an entry on Installgentoo Wiki?
>>
>>87474157
I bought it to host Nextcloud and that's exactly what I'm using it for. I added openvpn and gittea
>>
>>87475890
hey anon what dashboard is this?
>>
>>87474157
i never had any ideas of what to do with it, but i was excited about it none the less

i have like 5 raspberry pi zeros laying around
>>
>>87474157
I realized that it's not worth it to run it 24/7
I have a pi1B and that one has a high power usage than most other pis
I sometimes use it for risc os though
>>
>>87474342
>>87481718
not that poster but an old thin client is much better
An Igel M340C can be had for 20€
>>
>>87474157
Projecting is not healthy bro, I have several being used daily for:
- Torrent Server for all clients in the network using the Deluge Browser Extension on each client
- NAS and Plex server, aforementioned Torrent Server stores all downloads on this NAS
- PiHole, DNS Server and Web Server
- Wake on Lan Server
- RetroPi with Netplay in a Arcade Cabinet I build
Grand total of 5 Pi's, only the RetroPi has days where it is not used, all the others are used daily.
>>
>>87497680
>Torrent Server for all clients in the network using the Deluge Browser Extension on each client
Are RPis fast enough to properly act as seedboxes?
>>
>>87474157
I use it to pirate and use windows like a good boy on my main rig.
>>
>>87476408
>mt32pi
it's awesome stuff
>>
Uh, i'm not gay but i'll suck you if you have one (or more) of those collecting dust in Paris
(Ye ye french here la baguette ah ah camenbert oh oh)
>>
File: Cat_and_Ladybug08.jpg (134 KB, 1920x1080)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Good news: plenty of industrial Raspberry Pi MCUs
https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/manufacturing/embedded-world-no-shortage-industrial-raspberry-pi-mcus-2022-06/
>At Embedded World today, Raspberry Pi was giving away its Pico development boards to all comers, to emphasise that there is no shortage of its RP2040 microcontroller, which was recently qualified for the industrial -40 to +85°C temperature range – previously it was to -20°C.

I hope they soon will say the same about RPi 4 and also launch the RPi V.

>>87498298
>Uh, i'm not gay but
Ah, the French...
>>
File: trash1.jpg (3.94 MB, 4000x3000)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB JPG
>>87474157
Now a Pi Zero is selling for 100 USD. Why aren't you selling yours, anon?

>no u
I'm using mine as a gaming handheld
>>
File: 1572027902017.jpg (15 KB, 441x411)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>87474478
You don't *need* to be browsing this image board.
>>
lmao literally
>>
>>87474186
That's such a neat idea. I always wanted to do something like that. What sort of camera did you connect to it?
>>
>>87481146
you are a fucking idiot

they run raspberry pi os which is the best fucking distro by miles

you are a fucking idiots
fuck off
go play with your windows prole.you will never achieve anything, worthless idiot
go flip a burger
go do your moronic sales job idiot
>>
>>87476949
Yup, it's cool to know that 4GB is still usable. I was dailying a Thinkpad X201 with 4GB up until a couple of years ago. I ended up maxing it out to 8GB and use it exclusively for working from home now.
>>
>>87478954
This is less about not knowing to do with a PI and more about not recognizing opportunity. Your vodka operation could be accomplished with lots of old computers, but it's your drive to accomplish things that got you here. Too many people buy a PI just because it seems neat and then let it collect dust.
>>
I replaced it with Mac mini
for purpose of tv PC
so it is sitting in a box in my closet lol
>>
>>87474157
Currently using it as a modem for my Dreamcast
>>
>>87474157
nope its literally a nas i use daily
>>
>>87498112
Bump. Need to know this. Running a tor relay on my raspi 4B and wondering if I should buy an external HDD to use it as a seedbox.
>>
>>87474157
POST IDEAS
>>
>>87499159
https://magpi.raspberrypi.com/
>>
>>87499159
>POST IDEAS

Do it yourself
>>
>>87494415
what would the limits on this be?
could i do a plex, torrents, email, and nextcloud?
>>
>>87498112
Yes
>>
>>87474157
I use some for klipper
>Voron v0.1
>Creality cr-10s pro

Now with chip shortage I bought 4 orange pi zero 2 and one is being used on my creality ender 3 with klipper on it.

I do have 2x Rpi 0w which will get used on more 3d printers in the future.
>>
>>87498112
>>87499128
>Are RPis fast enough to properly act as seedboxes
yes and no.
i have ran a seedbox on a pi4 as a temporary solution since i was still upgrading my main server and was missing some parts.
i ran qbit in a dockercontainer with a 1tb hdd to store the torrents and shared the folder over the network with a smb share.
idk if it was qbit or the smb share or the pi but transfering the files over lan was painfully slow. the highest speed i got was around 20MB/s. and if it was downloading something it really had a hard time keeping up.
i think it was slow because i used a 2.5" hdd with a sata to usb but mayby you get better speeds with a ssd and use ftp instead of smb
>>
>>8749954what the fuck, why would you use docket for that? It's completely overkill
>>
>>87474157
Currently mounted in an old 70s video game case that sits nicely on the shelf, along with a 5T drive and controlled with an air mouse using Kodi. I can sftp into it to transfer over whatever I download. Works like a charm, never a problem.
>>
>>87474157
Pi3 is running pihole, pi4 runs a desktop for the family, but yeah I have 3 original pis and an odroid u2 in a drawer like everyone else
>>
>>87485000
Does she do anything naughty in the shower?
>>
>>87474157
I always wanted to get such and make a live webcam with playback function inside a growbox
Unfortunately I can't fullfill such up to this day due to legal reasons
#noplantshouldbeillegal
>>
I'm thinking of buying an orange pi, cause raspbery pi's are expensive in our country. Are orange pi's good?
>>
File: Flea_Ohm_rev_A2_nice.jpg (52 KB, 437x322)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>87474157
This, but an FPGA board instead.
>>
>>87474157
I have a great idea, but I don't have 200 dollars to buy it.
>>
>>87474342
>Which better solutions did you find?
An actual tv box. If you just need it for Kodi you should look into LibreELEC and CoreELEC.
>>
File: 1656189005217.gif (64 KB, 596x800)
64 KB
64 KB GIF
>>87498839
>you are a fucking idiot
>
>they run raspberry pi os which is the best fucking distro by miles
>
>you are a fucking idiots
>fuck off
>go play with your windows prole.you will never achieve anything, worthless idiot
>go flip a burger
>go do your moronic sales job idiot
>>
>>87500310
Aren't FPGAs insanely expensive?
If you could cram one into a Pi Zero sized-board I'd buy that for 100 bucks, but there's a reason the MiSTer nerds picked a subsidised learning platform like the DE10 Nano for their vidya cores- and even that little $200 thing has developers run into the upper limit on logic elements.

Would like to DIY myself a nice video scaler though.
>>
>>87499542
You're fucking something up because I get 108MB/s writing to my Pi4s 2TB external HDD connected with a USB3 to SATA cable via SMB. You're using a powered USB hub? You got it plugged into the USB 3 port?
>>
>>87500187
RPis are better because they have their own Linux distro and its well supported by the manufacturer and community.
>>
>>87476644
I do this for pianoteq and it's fucking tight
So much less friction to just have an always-on device that's super stable running pianoteq, it basically transformed my VPC1 experience. Would recommend.

Also have a few that I use for audio. One is a streaming source for my hifi system, and the other runs an audio interface to do ADC for a couple of record players, performs RIAA in the digital domain with camillaDSP and then sends this audio across the room via wifi (a bit of latency but that's nice to keep my more sensitive record player from being able to pick up anything from the speakers) so I don't have any cables. I think I have four total and only one isn't currently doing anything?
>>
>>87475962
>pi3
>with a wifi dongle, isolated wireless camera AP to collect images from the cheap creepy chinese wifi cameras i have scattered around without granting them internet access, then re-hosting just the images onto its ethernet-side interface for me to get at safely
Please post details, only reason I don't have proper cctv around the house is because I refuse to use chinkshit botnet cameras that store everything on fucking aws and require botnet app to access.
>>
>>87485563
What's the point of this? I didn't think running a dedicated server would show up as normal cs:s on steam. Otherwise I have no idea why you'd need to do this.
>>
>>87501479
i didn't make a build log or anything, but the basics are:
i drunkenly bought 1 unbranded who-knows-what chinkshit ipcam for cheap from wish in a series of bad judgements. it was really rudimentary - powered up, it had a web interface to access the picture on - in the form of a JPG that updated once every quarter-second upon inspection, lol - and was making all kinds of mysterious requests to external services that i was not ok with. well, i bought 5 more after seeing this and thinking i could "manage" them.
pi3 got a tp-link wifi dongle, and i used hostapd on the pi3 to emit an AP i connected the cameras to painstakingly with my laptop. i later discovered they had a config file you could edit and put onto an SD card to slot into them. do this.
wrote a totally homebrew node app to pull the JPGs from each camera every second or so unless i was watching on another totally homebrew trash react app's as a web panel, where it would speed it up to the same 1/4s it generated the frames at. it saves the last 50GB in named folders so i can look back if needed.
it's really ghetto but it serves my needs fine. i can ssh in to my router and jump to the pi3 to remotely view from anywhere.
and if some undesirable folks come up to my house (or do more) i'll have clear evidence, which is what i cared most about.
i know for a fact there are open source projects camera manager projects that would probably serve me way better, but i like the duct tape and spit kind of systems if it means they can be 100% me and 100% understood
>>
>>87491002
Just buy a used thin client. You can get a device that’s just slightly bigger than a pi and that’s way more powerful for a fraction of the cost. Raspberry Pis are just for redditors to circlejerk over.
>>
>>87501956
Except no, thin clients are still expensive used (in Australia) whereas I bought an RPi 4 the other day at RRP (in Australia).
>>
>>87501727
Nice, thanks for the write-up. Good to know this is possible to do, it's how I roughly imagined it but couldn't be bothered to try out in practice to get disappointed.
>>
>>87502027
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154988621805
Literally took me 2 minutes of research
>>
>>87502096
>ancient piece of shit that doesn't have gigabit network speeds
And this was supposed to be proving something?
>>
>>87498837
>What sort of camera did you connect to it?
The official Pi camera module. I see they have a HD version too now but that didn't exist back then
>>
Use it as a Plex media server and cancelled all my subscriptions
>>
>>87501434
>You're using a powered USB hub? You got it plugged into the USB 3 port?
no it was a 2.5" drive so i just used the usb port.
yes it was connnected to usb3.
i think i was the drive bc it was an old SG from a laptop. and the consant r/w it did ontop of the transfer
>>
>>87474181
*Uses
>>
>>87474157

No,
>he doesn't buy it first and think of an idea later

Yes, since it's bought
>>
mine is running a file server, a media server for my autistic son, openvpn, my webserver. It backs up my family photos. It is an essential backbone to my household
>>
>>87500310
I had hoped the next RPi V had a built in FPGA, at least for the educational value.

>>87500981
>Aren't FPGAs insanely expensive?
Price varies enormously, depending on features, speed grade and number of gates. DE10-Nano is not too shabby and therefore very popular. sorry, cannot link to source, system thinks it is spam.
>>
>>87494319
thanks just got a wyse client
>>
>>87504989
>Price varies enormously, depending on features, speed grade and number of gates.
The Altera V FPGA on the unit has 110k LE if I recall. But the DE10 platform is notable because it comes with an ARM processor for handling auxiliary functions. I don't know what that's worth in terms of raw parts, but it's probably more than $200- and Terasic used to sell it for $105.

Which is to say, I think it'll be a good while before those people ordering them for retro video games get a new platform for some kinda future MiSTer 2.0.
>>
>>87499056
I was around in the time when 64MB RAM was amazing. 4GB on a lightweight OS on a thing the size of an Altoids can still feels like a miracle to me.

The only reason I really want an 8GB CM4 is so I can use it as one of the development boards in my cyberduck (and daily drive it with a different OS on a different micro SD card), but everywhere I look online that model is sold out until Feb 2023 and the CM3 is sold out until Feb 2024. Unfortunately I might not be able to make code for either of those for a while.
>>
>>87474157
nah, just one. and it still serves its purpose.
>>
>>87474157
I plugged in a couple of external harddrives, and setup some cron jobs to automatically rsync gzipped backups from webservers i manage for business clients
it literally sits in the cupboard under my stairs and i get paid a bunch for "automated backups solutions"
it just keeps the last X days of backups, which usually also includes sql dumps
depends on the client for the number of days they want
>>
>>87474157
well yeah, i don't clean it
that's the point: you just set and forget
>>
>>87474157
Mine runs:
VPN just in case I need to use public/wifi where there's no mobile signal.
Print server to make my old reliable laser printer wireless and printable from any device
Nextcloud server so any photos I take immediately get backed up at home.
>>
>>87505327
What printer are you using? I'm tired of these bullshit DRM chip ink too low bajillion dollars for some magenta ass shenanigans.
>>
>>87505356
A Fuji Xerox laser from 2007 for color prints and a Brother H1110 for black and white.
Toners for both printers are around $10-15 on ebay
>>
>>87500925
Whats the upgrade then? The raspberry pi 4 runs libreelec, can be controlled by my TVs remote, and can play h265 video.
>>
I have a 3+ I turned into a little cyberdeck-esque portable computer. It's encased in an old screw container I had lying around with a small screen and bluetooth laptop. It was a fun little challenge, that at the time I used as a remote desktop to my main pc. It did that well enough, however it wasn't reliable in terms of charging or un time- things I'd find important if I ever had it away from home. My own design flaws made it hard to turn on and off.
It was a fun little project, but literally any laptop would blow it out of the water and i wouldn't feel like a fuckwit or a terrorist pulling it out at a coffee shop. It's been gathering dust ever since.
I'd like to find a better use for it, or at least the pi itself, but I already have a few laptops [hooked up to the tv, data backup and travelling] and am too dumb to code.
>>
>>87476387
Even the CEO of Microsoft would never say that.
>>
File: xt.webm (440 KB, 720x1280)
440 KB
440 KB WEBM
>>87474157
I have two. I use one as a server all the time. I use the other one occasionally. Last time I used it to drive my xmas tree lights, and it was pretty dope (picrel).
>>
File: case-pi.jpg (67 KB, 843x726)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
It sits in pic related with Emulation Station set up on it and a bunch of game ROMs. Connected it to a TV and hooked a wireless 8bitdo SNES style controller to it.
Still collects dust because I barely ever touched the games on it, but it looks nice next to my other consoles.
>>
File: mem_revI_build_1.jpg (364 KB, 1794x1316)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>87505241
>I was around in the time when 64MB RAM was amazing.
Once upon a time, 64 KB was amazing. Legendary times, when men were men.
>>
>>87474157
>remember when you bought it
Jokes on you, I stole every single one from work.
>>
>>87489755
Router on a stick configuration
>>
>>87474157
where can I buy one for a non-scalper price bros?
>>
>>87474157
Yeah cause linux is retarded
>>
>>87474478
Go back raider
>>>/v/
>>>/s4s/
>>>/bant/
>>>/vg/
>>>/a/
>>87476949
>avatarfag is a turd worlder
>>
>try to watch youtube
>cpu and ram usage spikes to 90%
>have to choose between libreelec and having a browser
webdev has become so bloated you need the 8GB pi4 now just to run chromium.
>>
>>87476349
All on that list on the same RPi machine??
>GPS PPS NTP server
I'd like to see more about this. What receiver? Also, are you that anon that runs his own atomic clock?
>>
File: Screenshot (15).png (81 KB, 870x316)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>>87474157
How is this shit thread still going after 3 days?
STOP PUSHING AND LET IT DIE.
>>
redpill me on RISC-V
>>
>>87508457
yummy pop tart
>>
>>87508457
Ten years of promises, not much delivered.
>>
>>87474157
I always thought they were stupid. I have lots of half-broken laptops and shitty prebuilts that serve the same purpose.
>>
>>87474157
>VPN for bypassing network TV provider limits
>simple server for files and stuff
>webshit testbed
Soon:
>Net TV Box for when DVB-T2 renders my already shit decoder and antena useless
Or
>Screen next to door that shows bus and e-scooter positions around my house

It's a fucking tiny computer which consumes zero energy. If you can't find a use for it something's wrong with what you do or how you live.
>>
>>87474478
You don't need to have multiple brain cells to post here, but it helps.
>>
>>87508845
>shows bus and e-scooter positions around my house
the s°yest thing I saw today
getting excited by monitoring communal wheeled pods and horror-inducing electric faggmobiles
>>
>>87508457
This is only Pi zero 1 without many projects
>>
>>87504245
no retard
>>
>>87495916
Anyone?
>>
>>87486624
I deal drugs and I'm less paranoid then you.
Cameras don't stop the batteram
>>
>>87486453
Based parent abuser
>>
Pi4 for Plex, NAS, Sonarr/Radarr/Ombi
Pi4 for OpenVPN, qbittorrent seedbox
Pi400 for general use and Python projects.
>>
>>87511069
no they don't stop shit, but they do provide proof of things. if a year ago i had photographic proof of my insane ex's new boy crossing state lines to pound on my door with a gun about stupid shit that went down 15 years ago, i could have done something about it - from proof for criminal charges to evidence for self-defense. as it was, i could reasonably do nothing because i could prove nothing. i won't be caught off guard again.
>>
>>87474157
Kinda because I dont have time for projects. I do have one running an opensprinkler instance for irrigation, one for a 3d printer, another is gonna be used for circuitsetup (monitor energy usage). I dont use them for servers, I have some beefy machines serving web pages, jellyfin, etc
>>
>>87511291
I don't believe you without video evidence sorry.
>>
>>87474157
yeah, it was a waste of money
i used it to flash the firmware on my thinkpad though and installed that libre bullshit made by some tranny though. i guess i figured if there was a backdoor in the firmware, then i'd rather trust some random tranny than gill bates
>>
>>87474157
nah i put arch on it and ssh into it to play interactive fiction games at work

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.