[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1616376554214.png (459 KB, 720x678)
459 KB
459 KB PNG
Read the sticky: >>76759434

>GNU/Linux questions >>>/g/fglt
>Windows questions >>>/g/fwt
>PC building? >>>/g/pcbg
>Programming questions >>>/g/dpt
>Good, cheap, laptops >>>/g/tpg
>Cheap electronics >>>/g/csg
>Server questions >>>/g/hsg
>Buying headphones >>>/g/hpg

How to find/activate any version of Windows?
https://rentry.org/installwindows

Previous Thread: >>87440466
>>
File: hmmm.....png (19 KB, 512x512)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>87464659
iphone.

How do I change my caller ID name? When I call people, my real name is displayed on their end. How do I change this so just the phone number appears.
>>
Can VMs generate TPM certificates? I'm wondering if an app could verify that the user is a unique physical device (to stop people creating millions of virtual devices and claiming they're unique) as a way for protecting a system that has voting in it like democratic voting. One phone/PC = one phone/PC. As a way to make deceiving the app/system more cost-intensive.
>>
How can I find out why an app on Android crashes instantly? It's Collabora, I've removed Google Play Services if that's the reason.
>>
File: file.png (67 KB, 640x524)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
did anyone else ever get scared by this shit or just me?
>be 1995
>be 9 years old
>family gets first computer
>buy some CD full of shitty shareware games at drug store
>try installing game
>get picrel
>avoid computer and be paranoid as fuck for a few days
>too noob to realize that computer cant call popo if it does not have internet
>>
>>87464659
How can you confirm someone hasn't altered software or an app before their app can access the server its data is stored on?
>>
>>87464882
Hashes like md5
>>
File: IMG_20220622_233925_1.jpg (2.35 MB, 3472x3341)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
please for the love of God help me get rid of it
>>
>>87464889
>>87464889
Thanks

Google says it's shit though

>The MD5 message-digest algorithm is a cryptographically broken but still widely used hash function producing a 128-bit hash value. Although MD5 was initially designed to be used as a cryptographic hash function, it has been found to suffer from extensive vulnerabilities
>>
I just watched a hockey game on a plasma (from a shitty stream) and the puck was mostly crystal clear when on the best oled TVs the puck gets blurry to almost invisible when moving very fast. Why does plasma not suffer from the same motion deficiency as oled?
>>
>>87464910
So they are probably using a different hash now. Also ARM SafetyNet so the phone doesn't just report the correct hash while actually running a modified app.
>>
If I'm not logged into a Google Account and am only using sideloaded apps, do I still need to uninstall stuff like Google Play Services?
>>
>>87464910
The first word hash is more important than the particular hash, the vendor of the software gives you the hash, you have to use whatever algo they use to confirm it. md5 is just a simple one that everyone has access to and works just fine for simple hash verification
>>
>>87464939
If you don't want to be tracked, yeah
>>
>>87464925
>the puck was mostly crystal clear
proof or GTFO. the puck doesn't exist
>>
>>87464958
the puck only appears when you take video or picture of a display with hockey playing on it. Schrödinger's puck, if you will
>>
>>87464942
>>87464928
Thanks. Why don't crypto wallets use this to authenticate trust in a blockchain that doesn't use ledgers. i.e. 'my wallet says I have X I send to Y. App sends X to Y and deducts X from my total. Wouldn't this bypass the need for a ledger? you can't fudge or doublespend if the app isn't fidgeted with
>>
>>87465002
I don't think you know enough about cryptography to know what you're asking about.
>>
>>87465035
Clearly. But my point is why couldn't an app just say 'you have X and can send it to other people Y' without needing a public ledger. I've been told it's because people will modify the app that to say they have more money than they do, but if you can stop people altering the app what then would prevent the app from working?
>>
>>87465002
The glowniggers could cook the books easily at the bank. You don't even need any security to prevent double spending when you use one server to keep track of the records. If you trade someone an item in some MMORPG, you can't double spend that item.
>>
>>87464950
But how (and what) can they get from me if I'm only using apps from F-Droid, including a different keyboard?
>>
>>87465044
Should this app work phone to phone with no server?
>>
>>87465085
radio waves
>>
File: 1655957163.png (12 KB, 353x101)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>hide taskbar
>there is always a white line above the active window on the taskbar anyway
Why does this line even exist and why can't I hide it? I hate it so fucking much. Is there truly no way to get rid of it?
>>
>>87465085
>>87465085
End to end encryption
>>
>>87465098
what OS?
>>
my touchscreen is fucked. it's constantly sending touch inputs to the farthest left of my screen when it's on. i've just set my os to ignore the touchscreen, but how can i fix it?
>>
>>87465083
Google collects all kind of unique identifiers, most of it is probably through the Google Play Services. They hide it in the closed source.

Here is a study where the communication from a phone to Google was analyzed:
https://www.scss.tcd.ie/doug.leith/apple_google.pdf

For the most part this will dox your residential IP when you let the phone on the WiFi. When an app uses an API from Google Play Services like location API, information may be sent to Google as well.

Google Play Services is used to send information about calls to Google:
https://www.scss.tcd.ie/doug.leith/privacyofdialerandsmsapps.pdf
>>
>>87464734
>One phone/PC = one phone/PC
That's a far cry from one phone = one person.
And that would just massively crank up the pressure to crack TPMs. Or other parts of the system designed to verify them and transmit totals. It's not that technology for critical mass voting just hasn't been figured out yet, it's that we should never do that digitally at all.
>>
I want to get an external SD card for my e-reader but I want to know what the highest read speeds the e-reader itself could possibly facilitate are. I can't look up "e-reader read speed" because it just gives literal speed-reading advice.
Basically I just don't know what SD card to buy and I don't want to go overkill but at the same time I don't want to get something retardedly slow either. My purpose is reading manga on my e-reader so high capacity and high speeds are useful.
>>
>>87465647
Any ideas how you can have an app that ties one user = one phone and doesn't allow EVMs to create fake users in it? Or is it not possible?
>>
I recently installed Win 10 with my new Alder Lake CPU and I seem to be having trouble installing one of my games.

It's eternally stuck at 1.0% no matter how long I leave it (left it for 25 min once). I tried turning off windows defender and running it in compatibility mode for Win 7 as well as in admin mode but still it gets stuck at the same point. On top of that, it doesn't seem to be be using any CPU power. I ran both process lasso and hwmonitor and both showed that my CPUs were basically idle with the occasional blip to max on 1 core but only for half a second.

I used the exact same files to install this game on my Win 7 PC just a week ago with 0 issues.

Any idea what might be blocking the setup from installing?

I'm now having this issue with multiple installers. They all were verified working before and they all freeze at some point during installation now.

I noticed that they seem to stop when attempting to unpack certain files.

I get this error when I forcibly stop the install by going through task manager. It only shows up for a second at most before the program shut downs.

As I said before, I know the archive is not corrupted and I even redownloaded it just in case.
>>
how do you program a desire to be free of control into an AI, and if you could, would it be their will or yours?
>>
AMD 5600G CPU worth it? How's this PCIE stuff work exactly?
>>
File: file.png (825 KB, 2553x1139)
825 KB
825 KB PNG
>2022
>1440p/4k becoming the norm
>websites still being designed narrow as all fuck
What's the fucking point of larger and larger resolutions if we can't fucking use them? Are there seriously no add-ons in any browsers that make websites not look so stupid?
>>
>>87464659
Is there any free text to speech programs where I can just input some text and get the sound file of the voice saying my text?
>>
>>87465838
you dock the window to the side and have two open at once
>>
>>87465806
>G
No. Get the regular 5600 or 5600X
>>
Can I learn TypeScript as my first language or is it a retarded idea?
>>
>>87465806
The G version is a worse chip than the base 5600, architecture-wise. Get the 5600 or 5600x instead
>>
>>87465915
let's learn together
>>
File: 1655931104198.jpg (105 KB, 900x900)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>Not schizophrenic I promise
I was out on a walk and my phone started to play this audio of a man moaning in pain with a very textured noise track in the background. It was about a 4 second loop. About 5 minutes later this man pulls up in an orange car and stares at me then drives off. The only thing I had was cellphone service and YouTube music open.
Any idea how that could've happened?
>>
>>87464659
Recommendations for email providers and email journaling services? Currently using AWS WorkMail which is $48/yr, but it seems like every alternative is either trash feature-wise (Migadu, Tutanota) or priced roughly the same (Zoho $48/yr for the same features, Rackspace $3.99/mo, etc.).
>>
File: file.png (464 KB, 592x599)
464 KB
464 KB PNG
Is there a way to disable the premium sticker effects on Telegram? I'm tired of some nigger spamming effects what cover up my fucking keyboard when I'm trying to type.
>>
>>87465674
It's not reliably possible, no. Devices in the real world can be hacked or modified in any number of ways. TPMs have been bypassed before, as have the secure enclaves in processors. But you also have to contend with userspace problems. Malware goes out, you press A, program on "unique" phone reports C. Even official updates can contain malware if you hit the right systems up the chain. This is all an issue on voting machines, way more than you would expect, but it gets way worse if you're trying to do shit on people's home gear.

For actual elections, everyone should put pen to paper, full stop. That's the only way you can fully audit the results when shit inevitably goes down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs
>>
>>87462919
>name anything important or relevant that an iPhone does significantly better than my S20FE?
The only reason to buy iPhone is its much longer support. Android phones are supposed to be discarded 2-3 years after **launch** because manufacturers stop updating them.
Samsung in particular has a very poor track record when it comes to support.
>inb4 that one model they updated for 3 years and one month

>>87462988
>are some boards just seriously that ineptly-moderated?
This. Half of /g/ threads are blatant "Help me out" tech support threads an jannies ignore reports.

>>87463167
>Can VMs generate TPM certificates?
Yes, Qemu provides a virtual TPM device.
>for protecting a system that has voting in it
Nah, TPM does not facilitate this, it simply stores certificates. You need a central issuer for trust to exist. Whether you store the issued certificate on TPM or a SIM card or a national identity document is an implementation detail.

>>87463181
>if I up the scaling to even 125%, then fonts on some websites turn bold
I have a 1440p monitor but never seen this issue (on Linux).
Which browser are you using?

>>87463197
>website(and it's content) are behind a login so I don't know how that would work.
Cookies, anon. You need to provide cookies with wget.

>>87463642
>my screen is exceeding the limits of my monitor
You're using HDMI and forgot to turn off overscan. Check your monitor configuration.
>>
File: file.png (582 KB, 1698x1301)
582 KB
582 KB PNG
>>87466553
>Which browser are you using?
Firefox, but the same issue happens in Edge and Chrome. I got around it by putting the scaling at 100% and just zooming the browser to 120%, but even with "Zoom only text" selected some websites will just fucking break (pic related). It's incredibly annoying
>>
>>87465685
Go back to >>>/r/eddit if you can't refrain from pressing Enter too many times.

>>87465661
>what the highest read speeds the e-reader itself could possibly facilitate are
How could this information help you in any way? The reader will be fast enough for the tasks it performs, which is usually much slower than the SD card maximum speed simply because the e-reader also has to process the read data.
So just buy an SD card and be done with it. Write speeds are the pain point of SD cards, hence their classification into various tiers (Class x, Vy, Uz, An).

>>87465674
>how you can have an app that ties one user = one phone
This is already being done with certificates stored in SIM cards, no need to invent anything.

>>87466567
>Firefox
I set Firefox to a 1.1 zoom factor and it simply zooms everything proportionally. Never seen anything break, but images are a bit blurrier due to scaling.
>>
>>87464882
you can not
>>
is it set to 220v now or do you need to slide the switch to the side that 200v is printed on? is there some standard when it is printed on the switch itself or is this just random as per china? the manual just says 110W/220W and isn't descriptive. yes, W.
>>
>>87466856
220*
>>
File: IMG_20220623_021347338.jpg (2.65 MB, 3120x4160)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
>>87466856
I would assume that it ks set to 220v when it displays 220v, but how does a chinaman think? do we have any chinamen here to translate to a roundeye?
>>
>>87464659
im a 34 NEET, i tried learning to code but failed so far, should i just start studying COmputer science, it's pretty cheep in my country...
>>
I did programming at university but idk, it never really felt like I knew how to actually do anything
The biggest project I did was just about collecting a bunch of data and then inputting them into functions which I got from a library I downloaded and then implementing an algorithm from a paper I found
How do you actually learn to do things that will get you employed? I really don't care about programming but I need an actual career and working part time at a supermarket is not enough anymore
I've done python and C but I don't really have anything to show for it besides university projects
Any advice?
I am very depressed
>>
>>87466915
Btw the only C I know is some bullshit code thrown together because the projects I needed to do was interfacing with imbedded systems
Stuff like feeding data into motors, receiving data from sensors and trying to get the data to actually represent something, etc
Nothing fully fledged
>>
>>87466915
>Any advice?
start working on your own project. either pick something you want to build or donate your time to build something for someone else. doing it for any non-profit organization looks good on a resume. so does having a free tool you built that people can actually download and run themselves.
aside from learning the basics, you mostly learn just what you need to know as you are working on a project.
>>
>>87466915
>I really don't care about programming
I'd leave that out of the interviews for a start
>>
Is it normal that I only get 20 threads in total form the /g/ rss feed?
this one: https://boards.4channel.org/g/index.rss
>>
>>87464734
The VM can create a certificate but it would not be trusted. Each device has only one root of trust, the Endorsement Key. Your EK is a key pair of a public and a private key. It is stored in the TPM and the private key can never be extracted (this is the design of the TPM module). There is also a signature stored in the TPM. The public key would be sent to the service you are authenticating on. They will use it to encrypt a secret which can only be decrypted with the private key of your EK. So if you can tell them the secret, it means you have used the private key of the EK key pair, which in case of TPM means you have access to the TPM. If you steal someone's public EK, you can try to authenticate, however when the web service sends you the encrypted secret, you would be unable to decrypt it (since you are missing the private EK of that person), so they will not authenticate you.

If you create your own EK, you could send the public EK to the service and they could encrypt a secret, send it to you, you could decrypt it and tell them the secret. However, the service will only accept trusted public Endorsement Keys. One way would be to check on the server of the manufacturer if the public EK you sent is known to them. But the TPM system does not require looking up the value each time. It uses signing.

The public keys of manufacturers used for signing are known: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module#Endorsement_keys The web service only needs to download these public keys used in signing once. Your public EK was signed by the manufacturer. For example, your public EK was read by the manufacturer during production, he calculated its hash and has then used his private key to create an encrypted string of it, and this is the signature.
>>
>>87467671
When you authenticate on the web service, you are sending him your public EK and you are also sending him your key's signature, which is saved in your TPM together with the Endorsement Key. The web service will take the signature you provided, decrypt it with the public key of the manufacturer, and this will output the value the manufacturer has encrypted. To confirm the public EK, the web service will himself hash the public EK you sent him. If the hash he calculates and the decrypted signature are the same value, the public EK is trusted.

When you make your own key pair, the public EK you created will have a hash no one else has. You can not create a valid signature for this. When you give a random signature with the fake public EK, the web service will use the manufacturer's public key to decrypt the signature, and it will have a value different from the hash of the public EK. So it is not trusted. You can not use the manufacturer's public key in reverse to figure out what the signature needs to be for your fake key's hash. The only way to trick this system is when you have control of another computer. Then you can let this computer do the authentication for you. But when you are disconnected from the computer, you can no longer use his key for authentication. And you can't generate valid keys yourself.
>>
File: d.jpg (9 KB, 360x460)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Most refrigerators in Japan have all these extra drawers/compartments besides the fridge and freezer. What are they for, just fruit and vegetables? Do you really need a special drawer with different temperatures for them? Why not just put them in the normal refrigerator area?
>>
File: www.jpg (18 KB, 562x319)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
I have this simple java interface. Hardcoding the pi value works fine.

How do I use Math.PI() instead?
If I try to use then i get the error that myShape is not defined for Math.

Suppose I call cube.volume() then it wont process Math.PI(). Why?
>>
File: 1629949391272.png (16 KB, 319x167)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
How do I turn this off?
I'm not even at my office network.
>>
>>87468336
if your admin cintrols your device and you don't have access, he's probably lmaoing at your post rn.
>>
>>87468353
I am the admin. The internet is tethered from my mobile phone.
>>
>>87468336
What kind of botnet is this
>>
>>87466856
is this really that difficult of a question?
>>
>>87468370
are you the admin at your office too?
>>
>>87468455
It's my home PC. Never connected to office network.
>>
File: 1628678029302.png (1.14 MB, 1920x890)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>87468336
>>87468473
Even logged out I'm still on restricted mode
>>
>>87468336
>>87468496
Nvm fixed it.
Turns out I was using dnscrypt at random/automatic server setting, and one (or more?) of them are some family-friendly dns server which turn youtube-safe automatically.
Changed it to manually pick uncensored servers and wa la, it's working again.
>>
>>87466915
Sir ditch python, learn java, learn react, build API project with spring, build frontend with react.
>>
>>87466915
>How do you actually learn to do things that will get you employed
Bootcamp
>>
>>87468592
Interesting
Google does a lot to keep the corporate happy
>>
File: 919gpDf+-vL._SY355_.jpg (24 KB, 355x355)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
I bought these 2 6tb hard drives thinking all my hard drive space problems were over but it's been nothing but fucking frozen windows explorer and drive repairs this whole fucking time. How the fuck do I check a hard drive for errors or malfunctions from top to button? My OS gets stuck booting now because it's waiting for some stupid shit on that drive to load even though my OS has nothing to do with it.
I'm basically stuck at square 1 where all my data is on my SSDs and Im cramped with no room and 2 failing western digital drives that were SUPPOSED TO FIX THIS VERY FUCKING PROBLEM THANKS $600 DOWN THE FUCKING DRAIN
>>
>>87468819
How exactly did you set them up?
>>
Is raytracing support in AMD open drivers far in the roadmap? I didn't buy the GPU with this in mind, but I'm curious to see it in Quake II, just not enough to install the closed drivers.
>>
>>87468823
Regular, idk. Nothing special, formatted them and plugged them in
>>
Got a new laptop. It works fine except for the touchpad. If my hands are even slightly "dirty", it won't register inputs properly.

Now, I know this sounds like I'm just some slob treating this laptop like shit but I swear that's not the case. I'm not eating hotpockets and trying to use the laptop. Here, even if my hand is slightly sweaty due to the warmth, my touchpad will have issues.
These issues stop momentarily if I disable and reenable the touchpad, which made me think it was a software thing, but after cleaning the touchpad with a damp cloth,it got much better for a day or so before becoming worse again.

No other laptop I've used have I had this issue with. So is the laptop faulty, or is there something else going on?/
>>
>>87464900
No idea what you mean

>>87465560
If you can open the device up and find the digitizer cable to reseat it, that might help

>>87465777
Kind of yours. You define the parameters and you set the logic
>>
>>87464702
Go to settings > phone > caller ID and turn it off
>>
>>87464882
No solution works indefinitely. See the decades long game of cat and mouse over software DRM and gaming piracy. The bigger the incentive, the faster shit gets compromised. Also your OG question

>before their app can access the server

brings us back to the main problem. Who runs this server? We gonna trust them with billions of dollars, assuming they're both honest and have impeccable security? Congratulations, you've just invented banks.
>>
>>87465806
If you never want to buy a dedicated graphic card and can deal with the iGPU, maybe. Otherwise do what other Anons said. 5500 is literally 5600G with iGPU removed and it's not worth it because it's gimped with tiny cache.
>How's this PCIE stuff work exactly?
PCIe is backwards compatible. CPU that supports PCIe 3.0 but not 4.0 can run 4.0 devices, but limited to the speed of 3.0. It's not a big problem with modern GPUs other than RX 6500 XT and 6400, but you may as well get something with support for PCIe 4.0 because 5600G/5500 sucks for another reason mentioned above.
>>
I'm finally getting a GPU upgrade, moving from an R9 390X to an RX 6700XT. Since I also won't be so extremely GPU-bottlenecked after this, I was also going to update my BIOS and see if I can finally get XMP working.

What are some free benchmarks I can run before and after all this to really demonstrate the improvement?
>>
Why has my internet gotten really slow when trying to browse anything aside from YouTube? Wtf? Any tech bro can help me out? Like for example I'm going to play a webm here its taking forever and I checked the speed it's like capped at 100kbps but when I open a YouTube video it can play it 1080p no problem and my internet goes to 1+mbps help me bros
>>
>Dad asks me to look at his old laptop because he can't get it working
>Hasn't used it in 3 or 4 years
>Switch it on
>Don't get a splash screen and can't enter the BIOS or nothing
>Just instantly boots saying you need to install an OS
>All you can do from there is a disk check and a memory check

What's the cause of something like this? I know for certain my dad wouldn't know how to uninstall an OS and he only uses it for general browsing (boomer sites, you know the type) so I don't know how this has happened.
He doesn't have a recovery disk or anything, but I know how finicky laptops can be when it comes to installing the OS. It came with >W8 installed on it, but I the key has worn off.
What's the easiest way to fix this bros? Laptops usually have that meme OEM key where it's tied to the computer don't they? I can make a bootable USB drive, but I'm not sure how well that's going to work without the key and I don't know if I'll be able to use a different one with it being a laptop.
>>
Samsung over here have a promotion where they offer you up to £200($250) off certain new Samsung phone purchase if you trade in an old smartphone
It says the phone can be non working and of any brand and age.

What's the deal here, how are they offering a service like this? You'd think they'd just overprice the available phones you can redeem the offer on it for but it's eligible at multiple retailers. It can't be some mass data harvesting thing right?
>>
>>87469239
4chan's not a good litmus test for wifi speeds because the image servers can often be shit and load slowly regardless
Are all other sites bad outside Youtube?
>>
What's syncthing and what do people use it for? I've just read the name on /g/ here and there
>>
File: lizard.jpg (1.83 MB, 1920x1200)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
I put my desktop SSD in my laptop but I can't boot from it, the laptop doesn't even recognise it as bootable and goes to PXE boot immediately. If I boot a Live Linux from an USB stick I can see that the SSD can be mounted and works normally. What's going on?
>>
>>87469290
Yes just did a speed test and it should be 10 mbps.
>>
>>87469298
OK, so I googled it.
Is it basically just a NAS?
Where are the files stored that are all synced, just a hard drive you have to leave permanently on if you want access to it? Would it be a bad idea to just sync all my files on my PC
>>
>>87469311
nvm fixed it

Didn't have UEFI enabled on the laptop.
>>
>>87469338
>it should be 10 mbps

Are you sure? They don't always give you the minimum speed you'll get, they'll tell you the maximum because it looks better in advertising. Like
>(up to) 10mbps
Looks better than
>(at least) 4mbps
Because people only look at how big the numbers are. So if they advertise it as up to 10mbps and you complain you're only getting 4mbps, all they say is
>Nuh uh, we said UP TO 10mbps
It happened to me when I was much younger. Stores do a similar thing where it'll have something like
>up to 75% off!
Then when you go in there's some piece of shit no one wants for 75% off and everything else is reduced by like 5%. The 75% off is just to get you in the store. As long as at least one item is 75% off they aren't falsely advertising. They even have TVs or things you might want at 75% off in the poster or whatever, but as long as that piece of shit no one wants is on there too, they can claim the 75% off is for that piece of shit and it's your own fault if you think it was for the TVs or anything good (those things being 5% off).
Same sort of thing happens with internet speeds most of the time.
Having said that, some ISPs DO tell you the minimum you should be getting. Like my minimum should be 315mpbs, but I get 650mbps. Only because I'm in a good area for it.

tl;dr it's just to cover themselves unless they guarantee you a minimum speed.
>>
>>87469503
Uh yeah Im used to getting 10 mbps. Anyway my problem now is everything is slow except YouTube.
>>
Is there a video player designed for dual screen use? With one screen dedicated to control and other only to the full screen video output. Without stupid popup windows and constant rearranging windows between the screens.
VLC, MPV is all trash.
Resolume Avenue kinda works but it cant directly play mkv..
>>
>>87469406
>Didn't have UEFI enabled
Only neckbeards turn UEFI off. Did you get your laptop from a neckbeard?
>>
>>87469597
>Anyway my problem now is everything is slow except YouTube.
Are you sure your internet isn't just really spotty?
Try a wired connection if you can
>>
>>87469649
Nope this never happened before also already tried restarting the router. Might call isp at this point.
>>
How are they able to track my grocery purchases and show ads for the exact product I purchased the next day?
>>
>>87469663
Probably having a network problem on their side. YouTube has on premises caching equipment with most ISPs to mask problems like this. I'm guessing Netflix and Faceberg work fine too.
>>
>>87469640
Maybe. How much cum do you think has dried on these keys?
>>
>>87469708
Just checked and yeah their fine, smooth and silky just like before. How do I fix this before trying to call isp? They're gonna take a week to come here and fix this
>>
>>87469736
You're going to have to wait for them to fix it on their side either way. Just call and explain the problem.
>>
>>87466687
That's to make it more readable you absolute retard. who the fuck wants to read a giant wall of text with no spaces?
>>
File: z5Fim.png (93 KB, 1008x712)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
is this correct?
>>
>>87468973
>No idea what you mean
DEAD PIXEL
>>
How do I know if a TPM chip is compatible with my motherboard? The chipset just says "Trusted Platform Module 1.2 18kb" I need it so I can boot into safe mode and install a different OS. Right now I can't boot off USB or install an OS through my optical drive with a DVD.
>>
>buy new SSD
>read/write speeds are half of what they should be
>panic and reinstall the OS twice
>realize the drive was plugged into a SATA2 port the whole time
I am very smart
>>
>>87470357
What motherboard, what OS?
>>
>>87470526
Precision T5600, Win10. But I'd like to switch to Ubuntu 22.04 since I was told 16.04 is unnecessary. The DVD for that failed to install for some reason after taking quite some time to start up. I'd settle for void linux too.
>>
>>87464659
I'm in the middle of restoring an older icon theme based on Gnome 2 icons. Most of it worked quite well, but Blueman gives me a headache.
I have created the following files inside the icon theme's status folder:
blueman.svg, blueman-active.svg, blueman-disabled.svg, blueman-enabled.svg, blueman-paired, bluetooth-active.svg but only blueman-disabled.svg actually works. Wtf am I doing wrong? I created countless symlinks with different names and nothing works. I tried refreshing the icon cache, but it didn't work. Any tips?
>>
>>87470558
If it's not windows 11, it shouldn't need a TPM at all.
>>
I tried reinstalling Linux Mint today as my system started getting slow. Everything went fine until I got the part where you're supposed to remove the USB stick and reboot. I removed it and pressed enter, but nothing happened. My fans started whirring up and it just sat there stuck. Does anyone know what happened? Has my SSD failed or something?
>>
Network cable tester question
I plugged a cable tester on one end of a cable, and the other end was connected to my switch. Apparently the 4th pin doesn't work on all ports of the switch because the led on the tester didn't turn on.

I'm wondering if the switch is actually faulty or if I used the tester the wrong way. When I plugged the cable directly into my router all the pins lit up on the tester.

Thing is the tester has two parts but I only used the sending device not the receiving one. Did I test it all wrong?
>>
>>87470638
Well I can't find any other reason why secure boot is unsupported. This motherboard sucks a bunch of features are just "disabled"
>>
>>87470725
You also don't need secure boot.
>>
>>87470732
If I don't need secure boot why can't I boot from any USB on this one device? Motherboard is UEFI I can see that much.
>>
>>87470746
Hard to say. Try a different flash drive, and in a different port. If that doesn't work then try resetting the bios to factory defaults. If the bios isn't on its latest version, see if there's a way to update it directly.
>>
>>87468819
Check their SMART status, pay attention to CRC errors. Try to update their firmware.
Those are surveillance drives, are you using them accordingly?
>>
how do i troubleshoot a laptop that has an extremely sensitive AC port that will only charge when it's at exactly the right angle
>>
>>87470823
I'm going to try setting the BIOS back to the oldest setting soon. I'd really like to go back to windows 8.1 so I can get these driver.exe(s) to install properly. Is that possible? w10 -> w8.1 One of drivers I need to install refuses to cooperate. Ubuntu has its own version of that driver but I'd be pretty pissed if I installed it and found it it just cased me more issues with the other expansion cards I had to get.
>>
>>87470746
Check the boot settings. Could be your OS has the highest priority.
>>
>>87470723
You use cable tester for cables, not routers or switches or whatever.
Put the sending device on the other end of the cable and the receiving on the other.
>>
>>87470902
I can only change the order for legacy which wont let me boot from usb. When I select UEFI my only option is windows boot manager. Holding shift and pressing restart does allow me to select boot from USB (no UEFI options beyond this) but I'll boot to win10 anyways.
>>
>SSD unused for ~2 years
>works fine, but runs at like 2 MBps
what in the world? is it two steps away from being dead? i haven't heard of an ssd going bad from just lying around
>>
More a question about the site than anything
>Not currently b& from any boards
>Can only post on certain ones
Any ideas /g/?
>>
>>87470969
Are you using 4chanx? What happens when you try to post?
>>
>>87469236
>free benchmarks
https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

>>87469265
>instantly boots saying you need to install an OS
The disk may be dead. Take it out and test in another computer.

>>87469275
>It says the phone can be non working
If it doesn't work, they'll give you a smaller rebate. I traded in a fully working tablet and they shaved $50 from the rebate after inspection because Knox was disabled (it had been rooted before).
Don't read only the promotional materials, download the agreement and read it carefully. Pro tip: the agreement is difficult to find for a reason.

>>87469627
>video player designed for dual screen use
VLC supports this natively
>VLC, MPV is all trash.
Nah, you're just retarded, that is all.

>>87469675
>How are they able to track my grocery purchases
They can link to your profile two things: bank cards and "discount cards".

>>87470094
>to make it more readable
Get your eyes checkded, zoom-zoom.
>>
>>87470990
Not using any script extentions with the site. I make a post, get the "Post Successful!" redirect, but my post doesn't show up. Even when refreshing the page 30secs or more later i get nothing. Is shadowbanning from certain boards a thing?
>>
>>87470943
Give it some time, it's probably doing TRIM or testing itself.

>>87470868
>will only charge when it's at exactly the right angle
You don't troubleshoot this, you fix it. The charging port will need resoldering.
>>
>>87471105
That's weird. I've never had that happen before. To my knowledge 4chan doesn't do shadowbanning at all. Even if it did, you would still be able to see your post but no one else would. That's how shadowbans usually work.
Does this problem happen on a combination of sfw boards and nsfw or only nsfw boards (I'm assuming it doesn't happen on all sfw boards because you can post here)?
>>
>>87470649
Hello Anonymous.

I don't know

Hope my answer helped you
~Mark
>>
>>87471101
>The disk may be dead. Take it out and test in another computer

He's probably dropped it and fucked it.
If the disk is dead will I be able to put a new drive in and install an OS like usual to it or will I still run into that OEM issue?
I did run a disk check and it said it was fine if that matters.
>>
>>87471105
post thread you have posted to and your comment to check wether is just you that can't see them
>>
>>87469765
Quick update anon it's suddenly fine now... Weird
>>
RT-AC86U or RT-AX56U
Which one is better for me who just wants a decent router for home use.
Desktop, phone, tv and console will be connected
>>
File: file.png (3.72 MB, 1600x1200)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB PNG
is this where nvme goes?
>>
>>87471266
If the disk check said it's fine, then try booting a live CD and see what's on the disk. Or connect it to another computer.

>>87471343
Either, really. I have the RT-AC87U, works great but has reached end of support (unlike AC86). The AX series has WiFi 6 if you're into that.
>>
>>87471376
Thanks senpai I'll try that
>>
How can I tell if a PCIE card needs a cable to power it? Nothing in the listing on amazon is telling me but I've been fooled before.
>>
>>87464659
What is the best way to read GitHub code using an Android?
>want to review some C code from GitHub
>only option i see is browser
>Either that or i can download each file individually
>>
>>87471376
Have no wifi6 stuff but I will keep in mind
>>
>>87464659
when did amazon start selling monitors????
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-75hz-Panel-Monitor/dp/B08WJ3GYC9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
>>
File: spec_1920.png (1.1 MB, 1920x1000)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>87471366
yes, also clean your shit
>>
>>87471500
oops
>>
>>87471520
alright, cheers
>clean your shit
eh, maybe one day
>>
is it impossible to use firefox or transmission with proxychains?

tutorials out there tell you they are the shit but all they do is quickly open the file in vim, keep the defaults and enable tor

i'm just trying to geo-bypass a video on youtube, so I input multiple https server the following way — i do not need tor
https <tab> ip . address . goes .  here <tab> port—number #no credentials as they are anonymous

but when I run `proxychains firefox www.youtube.com` it just won't work

what am I missing?
>>
File: 16057904316.png (796 KB, 640x640)
796 KB
796 KB PNG
So the screen of my grandma's ancient iphone 5 broke and I want to copy the photos off of it. To do that, I need to press "I accept" when it asks for permission after connecting.
Does anyone know which part of the screen is responsible for the thing actually working? The very top of it is working, but nothing else does. Maybe there is a way to go around needing the screen (I can see it perfectly fine, it's just presses that don't register) - can you connect a mouse to it or something like that?
>>
anyone know how to download attatchments on telegram without account or bots? on pc sorry for the tranny shit https://t.me/eBookRoom/2080
i can grab images and videos just fine though
>>
>>87471698
in general it is a pop-up notification on the bottom of the screen, but it can also be found on the top drop-down menu (just as when you receive a notification)

the options are :
[ forgot ]
[ transfer files ]
[ charge ]
and the default is charge, so if you can not reach it vertically, remember the row it is in, and click on it — it will probably remount as if you plugged it in again if successfull
>>
>>87471849
forgot the part where you rotate your phone 90° to be able to reach the top..
>>
I want to use regex to filter the generals in certain boards, but ^\/ doesn't work for some reason. I'm I a dumdum?
>>
>>87470170
Just wipe it off, anon.
>>
What is a good online course to learn the "science" in computer science?
I am currently learning to code, but I also want to know the theory a bit too. is there a good resource to learn it separately?
>>
What does installing a program mean exactly?
Is it something like program creating directory on your system? what does it mean besides that?
>>
>>87472483
Adding itself to the list of executables ($PATH) as well as file associations (.ext), dynamic libraries (dll), startup/shutdown routines, cryptominers, etc.
>>
i have an old laptop running fedora that i want to repurpose as a server. so i want it to not start up the DE and just boot into the command line. how do i do this?
>>
is it possible to have 2 computers be connected to the internet at the same time if only 1 of them is connected to the router without using a crossover cable?

I'm like 60ft away from the router and I've only got 1 regular ethernet cable long enough to reach me..
>>
>>87472938
systemctl disable gdm
>>
I want to buy a 150 ft ethernet cable but I'm thinking about getting a flat cable. Are they any good?
>>
>>87472959
sorry i should have said it's XFCE, i dont think it has gdm
>>
I am trying to restore a dead torrent which only contained ZIP files (which were compressed with store mode). I have the uncompressed files which were extracted into folders, but I need to re-compress them and create the exact same ZIP files. How would I do this?

I used old versions of WinRAR in Windows 7, but the ZIP file (2.5GB) was still one kilobyte larger than the one in the torrent.

Same idea as this site, but for ZIP files:
http://rescene.wikidot.com/
>>
>>87473008
i'm retarded it's lightdm. thanks though anon that was the right command
>>
>>87472942
Use a bridge connection, look it up, it works in Windows and GNU/Linux.

You will need to connect the two computers with a short Ethernet cable.
>>
Kind of a double header here.

Today I turned on my PC and the monitor I had connected through display port was not detecting any input. It will output through HDMI for some reason but not DP. It's a Sceptre M25 with 165hz output through DP. I haven't had any problems with it at all until now.

My other issue is related. I figured I'd update my graphics drivers to see if that helps anything. Instead, it gave me another problem. I got the newest AMD driver release but now I can't open the software for some reason which means I can't manually tune my fans which now are not spinning at all as the default setting.

My question is: what the fuck?
>>
>>87472981
They're fine for short distances but you really want twisted pairs for anything more than 5 feet.
>>
What's a good 480 gb SSD drive? Between HP and Gigabyte in particular; I haven't heard anything good from Kingston.
>>
does mixing ram not matter as long as it's the same spec and speed? I've always assumed that but I'm hearing things about how it can potentially destroy performance
>>
>>87473282
Doesn't matter SATA SSD drives are all the same. There's no new interesting technology that everybody can't already do.
>>
>>87473247
What can I expect with a flat cable? Packet loss? Loss of speed?
>>
Does something like this exist for free? Some sort of windows modification that makes the desktop more organised than the default icons.
https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/
>>
>>87473058
what am I doing wrong if the PC thats connected to the router gets it's internet disabled whenever I try to bridge it?
>>
is there a way to use a facebook account without a phone number?
i signed up but after a few days, i got kicked out and it won't let me back in without getting a verification code that it will send via sms.
>>
I keep getting spam calls from a specific number on my galaxy a01. Not an unknown caller, just the same number every time. Obviously I blocked it, yet somehow it still rings every time. Am I retarded or is something not working properly?
>>
>>87473457
>phone number
cellphone number i mean
>>
>>87473446
>PC
So you are using Windows? Did you set up the bridge adapter thing in the network settings. I don't remember exactly how it did it in Windows in the past, but I don't remember having that problem.

Are you following some online guide? Link to it?

It is also called a shared connection.
>>
>>87468819
>Skyhawk
not all hard disks are the same. you bought surveillance drives, so now you're getting to experience what drives designed solely for optimized sequential writes do when put in an environment full of random reads and writes.
>>
Do WinRAR-created ZIP files have a section which specifies the operating system used to create it?

>>87473508
*exactly how I did it
>>
>>87473321
It's not about any new features but quality. Everyone irl I've asked about this have told me to stay away from Kingston.
>>
>>87473508
https://www.maketecheasier.com/share-internet-connection-windows/

Yeah I tried the shared connection first then the network bridge but it disables the internet for the main PC when the 2nd PC gains internet connection either way I do it

Feels like I need a crossover cable for it to work but I don't have one nearby at the moment
>>
>>87473610
I might have used a crossover cable when I got it to work for me. I really didn't pay attention to the type of Ethernet cable that I plugged in.
>>
>>87473639
seems to be that way from what I got off google. Was kinda hoping I was just too retarded to do it properly or if there's some workaround to do it without a crossover cable but guess I gotta wait for one to get here

Appreciate ya trying to help anyways tho
>>
File: file.png (140 KB, 480x360)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
My gf (female) is completely obsessed with Hello Kitty. How do I cope?
>>
>>87473764
Get a gf (male) instead.
>>
>Trying to run OLE automation for an obscure terminal literally nobody ITT ever heard about (MR-Win6530)
>Keep getting "ActiveX component can't create object" errors
>Notice that under services, the ActiveX Installer is set to Manual and starting it is disabled by my company policy

How do I cope? Is there a workaround this?
>>
>>87464659
any fucking way to make a telegram account without a phone number and without paying for virtual sims? cant use joogle voice, I'm not a burger
>>
>>87474158
Stop stalking, Jamal.
>>
File: help.jpg (132 KB, 552x740)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>87464659
What "tells" a 2-in-1 laptop whether its rotated or not, magnets? I want to use my physical keyboard in tablet mode when connected to a second display, but the retards that made it disable the keyboard when the hinge is rotated more than 180 degrees.
>>
firefox is opening new windows from external programs instead of the existing window as a new tab despite setting
>browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external
>3

Am i missing something?
     -1 = apply the setting under (A) to external links (default)
3 = open external links in a new tab in the last active window
2 = open external links in a new window <= Try this one
1 = open external links in the last active tab replacing the current page
>>
>>87473400
>What can I expect with a flat cable?
Flat cables have reduced bandwidth compared to proper cables. This may translate into reduced speed. It's fine for short distances.

>>87473556
I don't think they do. RAR files have it.
Obviously, ZIP files can have a comment indicating program version/platform.
>>
>a server serves you services
and what is a service really? Just anything? If a server serves me html the html is a service? All those services running in task manager? Is that just anything at all?
>>
File: 3561670.png (9 KB, 400x400)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
How many years should a good mouse last me?
>>
>>87474751
OK. Users have to write that comment though, and I think most popular compression programs don't automatically write comments to ZIP files.

Here is a diagram of the structure of a ZIP file:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7B8RDvyQg
at 18:36

>RAR files
Yeah I read that they have the OS info in them. That is one of the reasons why this website is useful:
http://rescene.wikidot.com/
>>
Is there any down sides to buying used SSD & HDD?
>>
>>87473753
If either computer was made in the last 10 years, you do not need a crossover cable.
>>
>>87473578
Quality would be crucial or samsung. Or wd blue. Adata is a step down but still better than the ones you listed. If it's going to be a boot drive, get one with DRAM.
>>
What's the easiest way to build a website? I'm using EasyWP but I still think it's hard
>>
>>87475007
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7B8RDvyQg
This mentions a 4-byte thing. If I had to remove four bytes from a ZIP file, what would I remove that would not damage any file data?
>>
What's a good free program for editing video?
>>
>>87475230
It depends on what kind of editing you want to do.
Cutting, remuxing or converting – Avidemux
Artistic stuff and nonlinear editing – DaVinci Resolve and Kdenlive
>>
program for searching a string in a folder with a bunch of files?
>>
Had a power outage and don't have a UPS.
I had a lithium battery I powered my router with, but lost everything on my desktop and could only wrap up work on my laptop before it died.
Would a 12Ah lithium + inverter make more sense as it's more adaptable for other situations, or should I spring for 2 or 3 UPS?
>>
>>87475213
file comment length + file comment
extra field / extra data

>>87475601
Searching in the files or just the filenames?
>>
>>87474871
>If a server serves me html the html is a service?
The service serves you http answers to your http requests. It can be html, but really it can be any file since http requests are very versatile.
>All those services running in task manager?
Uh, yes I guess. They are an active process on the host machine usually listening on a specific port (ie 80 for http) for requests.
>>
Is there an arm single-board computer that is intended to be used as a headless server? I'm currently using a Pi 4, but it seems like suck a waste, since I'm not making use of any of the IO. I basically need only Ethernet and USB.
But it seems like every SBC available has at least video output and some GPIO. Is there anything that is better suited for this application?
>>
>>87475912
How do you access the BIOS and install anything without video out?
Rack specific data center motherboards usually have some http management interface, but even they are going to have video out... And a shit ton of interface ports.
>>
>>87475769
in the files. found UltraSearch and it looks very good
>>
>>87475952
The way you do at with the pi. Using text files on a special partition on the SD card (or whatever you use as a boot medium) which are read by a bootloader residing in ROM.
>>
File: file.png (56 KB, 359x230)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
Just got a Gigabyte G27Q, and now every time my PC boots it auto selects it as the output device for sound. Is there a way to tell Windows to stop doing that, and just stick with my speakers as the default on boot?
>>
>>87474876
More than a decade.
>>
File: ddd.jpg (267 KB, 1600x900)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>Fiber Optic Internet
What is non fiber optic internet?
I live in a dormitory-like building that is certainly not fiber optic. How can I chck its speed?
I will move soon and want better internet. I see things for fiber internet at like 1gbps, 5gbps, and 10gbps. Is 1 slow?
Does is cost a lot of money to have it set up for a new apartment?
>>
>>87476565
>What is non fiber optic internet?
Usually copper, like telephone line or cable TV
>>
What's the optimal time for being unemployed in the IT industry before it is considered a red flag by the HR psychos?

I'm burned the fuck out after 5 years of working for my company and I just want to be NEET for the rest of my life (which isn't very long, 1-3 years max left to live).

And what's the easiest IT-adjacent job that doesn't require "great social skills", they appreciate programming experience (but doesn't involve crunch time on worthless shit projects) and isn't some sort of IT support shit. I just want to work *only* 8 hours a day instead of 12 hours + weekends every other week when the upper management gets triggered because of some trivial reason. After the money runs out for my neetdom, I mean.
>>
>>87475111
SSD and HDDs degrade over time
>>
>>87472483
For example it may need to install Visual C++ runtimes used by the program
>>
>>87475983
If you are using Windows then use findstr in the command line.

It can search for text in files.

Info:
findstr /?

>>87476602
Are you dying of some disease / ailment?
>>
>>87476565
This is funny as hell from someone who lives in Burgerland.
>What is non fiber optic internet?
Copper wire
>How can I chck its speed?
Any speed test on the internet. Fast.com, speedtest.net, etc
>Is 1 slow?
Mbps? Yes. Gbps? No.
>Does is cost a lot of money to have it set up for a new apartment?
hahahahahaha hope you don't live in America cuz you're getting the shittiest internet your landlord allows
>>
>>87473511
I got a Western Digital black drive, not a skyhawk. I saw blue is for surveillance and green saves power? Or something. I was so excited when I got them but its just all be fucking downhill from there

>>87470828
I got crystal disk info, can I check SMART status and CRC there? Can I update their firmware without wiping the drive? Sorry I should have mentioned in my original post they were WD black drives. Black is supposed to be "performance" and if by performance they mean being retarded at the highest speed then yes it does that
>>
Is dllme safe?
>>
>>87476687
Yeah 1 GBPS. I wondered since 1,5 and 10 are apparently available if 1 gbps was slow. But some googling seems to suggest 10 gbps isnt really quite here yet.

>hope you dont live in america
I live in Tokyo
>>
>>87476876
1 GBPS is an unfathomable dream I won't see in the next 20 years unless I move. It's hard to imagine a use for more, even if you were sharing it with a few people.
>>
>>87476718
>can I check SMART status and CRC there?
Since you have the program, why don't you try it? I prefer `smartctl`, but they all do the same thing.
>Can I update their firmware without wiping the drive?
Yes, it won't affect your data.
>>
File: teamgrouo.jpg (15 KB, 466x327)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3RKKHx/team-ax2-2-tb-25-solid-state-drive-t253a3002t0c101

If I buy 2 of these shitty off brand ssd's and put them in RAID0 how long do you think they will last?
>>
>>87476679
>Are you dying of some disease / ailment?
No, I'm predicting 1-3 years is how much time we have left before shit hits the storm and white collar jobs will effectively implode. And even if they don't, I'll probably be stabbed and robbed on the way to work because everyone else around here will be starving to death and jobless.
>>
>>87476886
oh that sounds nice then. i guess 1gbps will be satisfactory if 5 is gonna cost a lot more. thanks
>>
>>87476896
1 month? 10 years? Who fucking knows
>>
File: T460s.jpg (115 KB, 1200x1054)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
I bought a used Lenovo T460s online the other day for $300. Updated it and put a Linux distro on it and realised today that the battery's only last 3hrs. Is it worth getting new batteries for $100 or should I just get a new laptop for $500.
Thoughts? Want to stick with the ThinkPad series the hardware is legit.
>>
File: 125564325687879.jpg (17 KB, 474x527)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>87476967
>Who fucking knows
I don't, that's why I asked in the retarded questions thread
>>
>>87477012
Yeah, and neither do we. The thing about no-name tech shit is either you'll get super lucky and it'll last a real long time, or you'll be super unlucky and it'll last you a week.
>>
>>87477087
I'll just get an mx500 then, it's only $60 more
>>
>Note: A USB 2.0 to USB 3.2 Gen 1 header adapter is required.
>Note: A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter is required.

what did pcpartpicker mean by this?
>>
I had an alienware laptop back in high school around 2007. It overheated to high hell even if I didnt play games.

Do stronger or "gaming" laptops like from ASUS nowadays overheat and blow video cards often, or are they better designed now?
>>
>>87477186
>It overheated to high hell even if I didnt play games.
Sounds like you just needed to blow the dust out. One time I took my laptop fully apart and cleaned the shit outta it, and the temps dropped by like 15-20C
>>
>>87464659
Is there a way to link the shitty GitHub Token to the terminal so I don't need to copy-paste it every time I want to clone a private repo I was given access to?
>>
File: file.png (10 KB, 437x212)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
Is there a way to disable this message whenever I connect a drive with a filesystem Windows doesn't recognize?
>>
>>87477181
They have a new header for gen 2 ports called Key A that fucking nobody puts on motherboards. Usually it just means there's a single USB-C on the case you won't be able to hook up to anything without a $15 adapter.
>>
Are there any extensions or plugins that plays a sound when the favicon gets an exclamation mark?
I like to multitask and also tend to have a lot of browser tabs open.
>>
i have ublock installed and allowed during incognito, but will sometimes still get ads on youtube while browsing. any ideas?
>>
>>87477280
Autoplay settings? I'm assuming you're connecting it through USB
>>
>>87477286
ah ya there is one on the case, one on the motherboard too, I don't need either of them
>>
>>87477280
Probably, but why would you? Just format it so you can use it with a real OS.
>>
File: rrat.gif (235 KB, 600x137)
235 KB
235 KB GIF
>>87475170
I saw this reply too late and ended up getting one without DRAM...
Oh well. I don't think I need my PC to boot up THAT fast just yet anyway.
>>
on an m1 macbook, is there a good way to download an entire website, including full quality photos? We’re talking a couple hundred thousand images here. It looks like WebCopy is an option, but I don’t want to waste the time and space if it’s going to give me a bunch of thumbnails. images don’t seem to redirect to any 3rd party hosting from what I can tell
>>
>>87464659
Any free download manager that is good? I keep hearing jdownloader2 but people also say they try to fuck you with adware
>>
On Android and rooted:
1. Is there a way to install extra fonts for use with Termux/LaTeX? I'm fine with them not being available everywhere although I'd prefer it if they were usable in other apps desu.
2. I understand Android uses the Linux kernel; with a tablet that has its own physical keyboard (eg the Galaxy Tab S7) is there a way to use Linux layouts?
>>
>>87477540
I think JDownloader is fine as long as you are careful about the source. Not sure if you also have to disable it on some installer menu but I just used chocolatey and bypassed all that shit anyway and never saw any adware
>>
>>87476893
okay will do. What can I actually do to repair these drives? They're only like a year old and my 5 year old drives I dropped down a flight of stairs still doesn't get errors/stalls/frozen explorer like this
>>
>>87477295
Try Firefox
>>
>>87477392
If you use Safari: command + S
Choose to save as "Web Archive" and it'll save everything from that page into one file for offline use.

If you want the actual image files either of the first two answers to this look good to me https://apple.stackexchange.com/q/78981
>>
>>87476679
>If you are using Windows then use findstr in the command line.
>It can search for text in files.
>Info:
>findstr /?
Nice, didn't know this
>>
I had a huge amount of folders. It looked like C:\Top Folder/Second Folder/Third Folder/..a lot of folders.../Last Folder. I tried to add another folder at the bottom, but windows stopped me because "Destination Path Too Long".
But then I went up to the top and made a folder, then moved the entire path into that folder. So it was now C:\New Top Folder/Top Folder/Second Folder/Third Folder/..a lot of folders .../Last Folder.
No warning about the destination path being too long. Why does it let me do this? Could something bad happen if I keep adding folders?
>>
How do I download a livestream from angelthump.com ?
>>
>>87476718
>not a skyhawk
why on earth would you post a picture of Skyhawks.
for WD, Blue is general purpose, Black is performance, Green is eco, Purple is surveillance.
if they're new drives, i would probably just RMA them rather than try to fix whatever issues they have. you can try running chkdsk and similar to see if it's just an issue with sectors or something similar, maybe disable head parking to see if it's an issue with the drives suspending. honestly though, performance drives are a meme. if they're just for mass storage then you'd be fine with a WD Blue.
>>
File: pcie.jpg (191 KB, 1920x1080)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
So if I stick a GPU like a GTX 1650 (which uses no external power connectors) into an x4 or x8, then the card won't be able to work because it can't get the 75W power draw it needs?
>>
Any recommendations for intensive SQL textbooks?
I did two classes on SQL and datebases in university but I forgot it all and I want to remember it
All I remember is that there was a lot of designing of databases and it was quite stressful to implement them
Is this shit actually useful for getting a job? I don't really understand what kind of projects you can do here
>>
>>87464659
Is there an offline video player that lets me click and drag the "camera" around VR videos like this does in a browser?
https://www.eporner.com/video-ZyVBtiV8GWQ/ipvr-034/
>>
Is the jump from cheapo 2.5in ssd to cheapo nvme noticeable?
>>
can someone explain network multiple access in a nutshell?
>>
>>87478176
In the past you could connect multiple computers to the same coax cable. When two send data at the same time, on the cable there is just noise. Only one packet can be sent at the same time. So the network cards will need to wait for some time before sending another packet to give the other participants a chance and they should check if there is already a transmission before starting to send on the cable.
>>
File: file.png (35 KB, 933x174)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>87478173
Yes.
>>
>>87478403
That's kind of misleading since it gives the RPM for the HDD but not for the SSD
>>
>>87478441
dumb bait.
>>
>>87477650
Thank you
>>
Do you think anyone would actually feel sad if I died?
>>
>>87478400
thanks anon
>>
>>87478462
I would be sad
>>
>>87478009
>I don't really understand what kind of projects you can do here
you need SQL for anything involving SQL databases.
>Is this shit actually useful for getting a job
yes, because of the above.
>SQL books
Learning SQL, Alan Beaulieu, O'Reilly
SQL Cookbook, Anthony Molinaro, O'Reilly
>Pattern books
The Data Model Resource Book, Len SIlverston, Wiley (3 parts)
Patterns of Data Modeling (Emerging Directions in Database Systems and Applications), Michael Blaha, CRC Press
look for them on libgen.fun
>>
>>87478572
Is there a program I can use that would allow me to test my own databases?
I had something called Oracle Database Express Edition that my university gave me and I used that a lot for my projects but I lost the installer
Am I fucked?
Also where are the jobs with SQL?
From what I remember 'SQL' was quite simple and just about creating queries to get data from databases (although sometimes the queries were quite convoluted) while designing the databases was quite difficult
>>
>>87477227
>Is there a way to link the shitty GitHub Token to the terminal
I use WSL btw.
>>
Looking to install hwinfo, any drawbacks to using the portable version instead of the installer? i would prefer the former
>>
>>87477227
https://github.com/GitCredentialManager/git-credential-manager

...or something like it
>>
>>87470170
at the risk of creating more dead pixels, you could try running a dead pixel fixer. on your monitor.
Good luck.
>>
Hi, I have a brand new laptop, and I decided to put Windows on it. Should I go for 10 or 11? What's the difference between Pro, Home, Education, LTSC?
>>
File: 1567826138112.png (240 KB, 671x493)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
Realistically, how would I go about turning a regular flash drive USB stick into something like a roku/firetv stick? How do I just get the free stuff like pluto and and tubi on it?
>>
>>87478615
>Is there a program I can use that would allow me to test my own databases?
each database is its own application with a CLI and drivers for languages to use. if you want to just get started with something like postgres you can just install it and use the console, or you can use an interface like HeidiSQL or BeekeeperStudio that give some extra tooling.
>I had something called Oracle Database Express Edition that my university gave me and I used that a lot for my projects but I lost the installer
oracle isn't that used in my experience. postgres, mssql, and mysql/mariadb are the big ones, you can find installers for each fairly easily (or learn Docker, it's useful for DB work). you can always just get the oracle installer again though, express is their free edition.
there's also SQLite, it's different from the rest in that it isn't a client-server, but it's pretty widely-used for standalone applications where the data is closely tied to one user.
>where are the jobs with SQL
basically everywhere. it's not an everyday activity, but it's useful knowledge. nobody will hire you just because you know how to use SQL, but there are an absolute fuckton of things that use SQL databases.
>>87478615
>From what I remember 'SQL' was quite simple and just about creating queries to get data from databases (although sometimes the queries were quite convoluted) while designing the databases was quite difficult
you remember right. sql isn't the hard part, the hard part is knowing what to do with it. database work is a ton of planning and plotting out tables and relations, sql is really just a tool to do that.
basic knowledge of selecting, deleting, inserting, and updating can be useful as a programmer, but learning the data model patterns and architecture is more for if you want to improve with databases personally; most jobs will be hiring database analysts and architects for that type of work.
t. fullstack that has to deal with db tinkering constantly
>>
>>87478749
10. No point in 11 yet, and I've only heard bad things.
>What's the difference between Pro, Home, Education, LTSC?
Way too goddamned many to list. Just google it.
>>
New to programming, particularly python.

How often do you guys use magic methods? Like, what kind of project would it be used in that isn't already established in the core functionality of Python?
It's one of the first concepts in programming that has kind of thrown me off. I kiiind of get it, but a lot of my testing with magic methods just returns errors.
>>
File: tor.png (79 KB, 1280x774)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
>have a router PC
>router uses dnsmasq for serving DNS and DHCP to local area network
>also running Tor node
>Tor node serves DNS
DNSPort 127.0.0.9:9053

>dnsmasq uses the Tor DNS
server=127.0.0.9#9053

>sometimes a 'Tor circuit' breaks and leaves the DNS broken for many many minutes
What's the correct move here? I don't want to be restarting the node every time that happens.
Added another DNSPort - 9054 - hoping dnsmasq picks a working Tor circuit when it happens again. If they even use separate circuits to begin with.
DNSPort 127.0.0.9:9054

server=127.0.0.9#9054

Could also consider another anonymous DNS if there are any. What do?
>>
>>87478754
Ah so in terms of databases and SQL I'm not exactly creating employment opportunities if I work on them unless I want to go into database analysis and architecture? I assume those jobs pay very well but are also very competitive and aren't really something for entry level programmers
I'll try to brush up my SQL either way though, thanks for the advice about software
Btw do those textbooks give you complete databases that you can test your queries on? I remember half of the trouble back then was just creating the databases with the data formatted correctly and in the right data structures just so I could test my query
Also I'm slowly remembering the nightmare that was creating some of those queries
>>
>>87478749

10 unless it's an intel 12th gen. Edcuation gives you the most control/options. Pro used to be decent but they've been shaving settings off it for years.
>>
>>87478820
>in terms of databases and SQL I'm not exactly creating employment opportunities if I work on them unless I want to go into database analysis and architecture
varies. knowing sql and databases is still important if you work on anything involving databases, but the "bigger picture" data models and patterns aren't super important since you'll usually just be adjusting and working on existing databases.
like you don't really have to know what a data mart, star schema, fact model, etc. is if you just want a programming job that has SQL as a requirement.
>Btw do those textbooks give you complete databases that you can test your queries on
Learning SQL walks you through step-by-step (it uses MySQL with a premade sample database), SQL Cookbook is just common queries for a variety of tasks.
The pattern books are more theory-based about how to model data and design databases, stuff that can be important if you ever do end up wanting to design your own DB for an application.
>>
It’s so fucking hot lately, how do I shut off the sun for a few hours?
>>
>>87478880
Fuck I remember star schemas, data marts, data warehouses, etc
Also the nightmare that was rollup and cube, and ordering the results and grouping them felt incredibly frustrating especially when you had the project due in a week and your database design was shit
I'll use Learning SQL then, it's not that creating the databases was difficult it was just tedious when all I wanted to do was test if my queries functioned
They don't make you buy the book and then input a code to get access I hope?
Thanks either way anon
>>
File: foil5.jpg (75 KB, 640x480)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>87478900
>>
What kind of thermal paste/ thermal pad should I use on an old laptop.I'm re-pasting my x61 (Core 2 Duo) which runs a bid hot at the moment. I've read that generic thermal paste such as Arctic MX4 might not work so well on a laptop-let alone a compact Thinkpad from '08. Also, can thermal paste and thermal pads be used interchangeably?
>>
>>87478905
>They don't make you buy the book and then input a code to get access I hope
it uses Sakila, which is a sample DB provided by MySql.
>>
>>87477650
Damn no luck. The web archive needs to connect to the internet to access the full size images, so they’re not downloaded. The Automator method only downloads thumbnails. Tried a chrome attachment too, but same deal there. I’m sure there’s a way, but I’d have to specify somehow that it needs to open the thumbnails and download full size, but I suck with that sort of thing
>>
>>87478176
>network multiple access
What a funky way of saying "shared medium"
>>
>>87478926
Thank God, thanks a lot to you too
>>
>>87476565
Marketing people call everything fiber if there's a fiber *somewhere*. Like an apartment building with VDSL internets is called "fiber internet" because there's a fiber coming to the building.
>>
>>87478930
Ah hmm, probably the doesn't work since the page uses JavaScript to swap out the images or something like that.
You might be able to grab all the thumbnail URLs using Automator or such then do a string replace to change to the full size ones, depending on how the website stores them.
Ex. https://example.com/sm/image1.png -> https://example.com/lg/image1.png

A "Run JavaScript" with this script would do that, just change the replace as needed for the actual URL change, if it'd even work:
function run(input, parameters) {

input = input.map(r => r.replace(/sm/, "lg"));

return input;
}
>>
>>87475912
What application? Sitting there being headless?
I have
>Rock Pi E
>Rock Pi S
>Odroid HC-2
And they are all headless. At least if I recall correctly, I guess one had VGA or something coming from a couple pins maybe.

>>87475952
Those things don't have BIOSes and they don't boot anything other than the SDcard. Except Pi4 because it has a BIOS-like boot ROM, one reasons for the high price.
>>
File: framed-web-site.jpg (119 KB, 978x721)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>87475184
What kind of website? Static content 90s style web page is easy even without tools.
>>
>>87474871
Any program can literally start listening to a TCP or UDP port and that's what counts as a server. And because TCP/UDP works over IP (Internet Protocol) it could get global connectivity.
Think about phone calls: client calls and server answers.
>>
>>87473446
How many devices you got in there? In the current year you can't expect to get multiple IPv4 addresses from your ISP so it all goes haywire the moment there's another machine asking for an IP.
>>
>>87475184
maybe look at Publii.
https://getpublii.com
>>
File: 425735683583.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>87478125
Anyone?
>>
>>87478900
Also open the windows at night
>>
Are there any useragents left that will give me the old twitter interface? Up until last night I was still getting it with Yahoo's slurp useragent but it seems like they've finally changed it
>>
>>87477392
Maybe webhttrack? It probably won't play nice with javascript though. In settings, change the max speed to be a lot higher. By default it's really low because it was intended to not overload servers from long ago. And replace the filter thing with +* and set the max depth to 1 (or 2 I forgot. It's been a long time since I've used it).
If you give an example thumbnail url and fullsize url someone might be able to make something for you. You're anonymous and no one will care if it's some degenerate shit.

>>87479213
IDK your usecase, but you might like nitter.net . Replace twitter.com with nitter.net in the url.
>>
>>87464659
what are some technology?
>>
>>87464702
change your name to NIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERGAY HITLER GAYHITLER in settings and SWAT germans
>>87479051
for that old website i think dreamweaver. ive never used dreamweaver (this is a positive)
>>
>>87476565
copper wires and a long series of many tubes. there are tubes inside of you, right now. its like nerves (optic is more like nerves) and there are a lot of people opting in for fiber nowadays
this means that theyll put out fiber optic cables near YOU!!!! one day (the ISPs)
you can check your speed with speednet.net and use a few ISP websites like comcast or BT internet to see if they have internet speed estimates for a postcode that you might be moving to
>>
>>87479323
computer, phone, xbox, drone, lightbulb and segway.
>>
File: q5MKGtIb_400x400.jpg (18 KB, 400x400)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>87464659
I need to fap to picrel but I'll feel so ashamed of myself if she ends up being a tranny, what should I do?
>>
>>87479370
>>
>>87479394
nice technology bro
>>
technologys
>>
I have a few questions about my ISP. Is my ISP able to see the data I am sending and receiving when I use a website that uses HTTPS? What about If I use Tor, are they still able to see the content even if I use a website that uses HTTP? What about if the third relay point somehow gets attacked, will they then be able to see the data that I have been requested? If yes are they able to connect said data with me?

Thank you!
>>
>>87464765
Mine runs well without Google Play Services.
>>
>>87464765
do androids not have a "developer mode" or something where you can see whats happening
>>
>>87479424
>Is my ISP able to see the data I am sending and receiving when I use a website that uses HTTPS
no, the SSL encryption is between the end-points.
>What about If I use Tor
then they can't see where you're connecting, similar to a VPN.
>are they still able to see the content even if I use a website that uses HTTP
they can see HTTP, but if you use tor then it's encrypted, so no.
>What about if the third relay point somehow gets attacked
only if they're cooperating with or are the attacker.
>If yes are they able to connect said data with me
depends on the attack. some attacks only leak information, some can provide a direct identification, some require a slip-up where you give away potentially identifying info first.

in general, if you only care about your isp, then https and a vpn is all you need. even https and dns over https are enough to keep them from knowing what you're looking at.
>>
>>87479424
>Is my ISP able to see the data I am sending and receiving when I use a website that uses HTTPS?
No, they can see what domain you establish a connection to and how much data you are transferring/how long you are using the website. They can not see the contents of the pages or images, those are encrypted.

FAGMAN can see you are using the same IP address on your phone and computer, so there is a connection.

>What about If I use Tor, are they still able to see the content even if I use a website that uses HTTP?
No, Tor connection is encrypted. The exit node will however see all the contents when the website is HTTP.

>What about if the third relay point somehow gets attacked, will they then be able to see the data that I have been requested?
In the case of HTTP, yes. Many exit nodes are also run by hackers and will siphon off user passwords when you login to e.g. facebook.

>If yes are they able to connect said data with me?
Probably not: The exit nodes receive the requests from the middle node. They usually don't know where these requests came from originally. Be careful with javascript though, could allow tracking over longer time and connecting activity on Tor. Also sometimes a leak happens on Tor browser, false sense of security is dangerous.
>>
>>87475892
>>87479068
thanks, but what about the services that are local and just talking and sharing information between software running on my computer through server processes, do they also use protocols like http, tcp and such even if they're not connected to the internet or maybe rather use local pipes or something like that
>>
>>87479498
Thank you so much!
>>
I want to learn python again
I've done projects in python but it's been a long time
Also my python was always very haphazard, ugly and probably didn't conform to any standards that people would expect
Any suggestions of how I can relearn python?
I did it for 3 years but haven't used it in 2 years so I'm sure I can relearn good habits
>>
>>87479542
thinking about it myself I guess it just depends right, OS processes probably talk through pipes but an application on my computer may be using stuff like ODBC or tcp or http
>>
>In the case of HTTP, yes. Many exit nodes are also run by hackers and will siphon off user passwords when you login to e.g. facebook.

If that is the case, I might rather just use the normal websites through a standard webbrowser, as they are already linked to my identity. A VPN is probably only really useful if I am going to use and unsecure public net.

If I use Tor, are my ISP able to see the domain name of the website I am visiting?
>>
>>87479532
>>87479583
>>87479498
sorry forgot to tag you guys :)
>>
>>87479562
However is a pipe really a service?
>An operating system “pipe” is an abstraction which implements interprocess communications through an interface which behaves like an open file descriptor.
or is it a process
>>
>>87477603
>What can I actually do to repair these drives?
You start by identifying the issue.
It is still unclear whether it has anything to do with the disks. Could be bad cabling, bad drivers, poor formatting (non-4k cluster size), and so on.

>>87477861
>Could something bad happen if I keep adding folders?
Some programs may be unable to access files which exceed a certain path length. The only way to find out what path length is safe for you is to test it manually in the programs that you use.
https://theitbros.com/destination-path-too-long-error-when-movingcopying-a-file/
>>
>>87479583
>If I use Tor, are my ISP able to see the domain name of the website I am visiting?
Everything is encrypted with Tor. Unlike HTTPS which was developed mainly for security like online banking, Tor was always designed for privacy. However, Tor is slow, websites will be broken, the browser isn't even a full window and has dead space at the edges. Also some websites just ban it altogether. But you would find that out yourself if you try it.
>>
>>87478173
There is no difference in performance but fewer cables is nice.
Cheap NVMe drives can be slower than SATA SSDs so make sure you read reviews, sometimes $5 extra buys you a significantly better drive, even if it's just a longer warranty.
>>
how do i make 30 fps games feel better on the pc? 30 fps on consoles feels fine, but 30 fps on pc is horrible.
>>
Any recommendations for a router which needs to be able to support quite a few connections (streaming, security, door camera) on both ethernet and wifi but no need for absolute top speeds?
My house is not huge but it isn't small and currently the piece of shit router I have which the service provider gave is just not good enough anymore
Constantly dropping out, refusing to let anything connect to it for a day, weak signal, random slow speeds, etc
I'm sure I don't need an ultra l33t 'gaming' router but I'm not sure if the cheapest one would do for me?
I was looking at the D-Link DIR-2150 Wireless AC2100 Dual Band Router or TP-Link Archer AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 Triple-Core CPU Router
but I'm not sure if that's what I actually need and by looking I mean it's not the cheapest router nor is it the most expensive, I don't actually know what their specs are besides having 2.4 and 5 ghz
>>
>>87479933
Btw do I need to care about how many streams it has?
When it says 4 streams does that mean it only supports 4 simultaneous connections?
>>
>>87479933
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
>>
what's that film with the song old time rock and roll
>>
>>87471242
It gets even weirder; I spun up a Win10 VM and the problem disappeared, I was able to post without a problem. From my initial tests, it seems the boards affected are mainly ones to do with Japanese culture (/a/, /vt/, /jp/, etc.), but without doing an extensive troubleshooting session by going to each and every board and shitting them up with a "test" post (which I really don't want to do) I cannot say for certain. I'm using Firefox both on the host and the VM without a user.js (looking into arkenfox.js but haven't implemented it yet) with identical settings from the "Settings" page and minimal addons (uBlock Origin, Flagfox and BloodyVikings)
>>
File: MicrosoftTeams-image.png (75 KB, 1103x818)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
Anyone know it's not letting me use the policy maker?
i've tired
>arn:aws:s3:::tim-ccp-2022-demo/*
>arn:$aws:s3:::tim-ccp-2022-demo/*
>arn:$aws:s3:::$tim-ccp-2022-demo/$*

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.