[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1655931731871.jpg (329 KB, 1200x900)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>fossil fuels are fucked
>world is shifting into electricity to replace every "non-green" energy source
>lithium will become ever more scarce as demand for high efficiency batteries rise
>cr2032 batteries will be low priority and eventually phased out
So can we start getting rid of these batteries to store date and time already?
>>
>>87461334
No, I like them
Better than non-replaceable batteries
>>
>>87461334
Lithium is the 33rd most abundant element in the earth's crust, and is distributed fairly evenly around the world. I wouldn't worry too much about running out.
>>
>>87461614
>evenly distributed
Most of it is in south america
>wouldn't worry too much about running out
you will when every car is replaced by EVs with batteries that have to be replaced every 5 years
>>
>>87461334

anon please, i just replaced CR2032 in my car remote today. i was debating whether to buy the 4pack at my local hardware store just in case of just in case.
>>
the cr2032 could be replaced with fucking huge capacitor, but then user can not replace it as easy when it brokes

also cr2032 is already removed in new laptops, those use the internal battery
>>
>>87462730
Supercapacitors solve this problem
>>
>>87461334
Funny thing is those Lithium coin cells use 100x more lithium than rechargeable li-ion batteries, and they're still cheap as fuck.
>>
>>87463037
For now lol
>>
>>87462881
Do those even exist yet?
>>
>>87461334
>fossil fuels are fucked
We have enough for centuries.

>>87462055
>Most of it is in south america
It doesn't change the fact that it's still fairly evenly distributed. Despite your hard-on for third-world countries propped up by the US, most actual lithium is coming from China and Australia.
>>
if youve never taken it out of your motherboard you got no balls
>>
>>87462055
Doesn't matter where most of it is if there's loads of it everywhere. Lithium can also be recovered from recycled dead batteries.
>>
>>87463471
yes, they're not even that exotic
they're not really drop-in replacements for batteries though, i mean you probably could drop them in in some cases, but capacitors work quite differently to batteries, one major difference is that batteries tend to hold most of their voltage as they discharge until near the end of their capacity, while capacitors drop in voltage linearly with their charge, so as a drop-in they would have less usable capacity as they will drop under the minimum needed by the cmos chip or whatever other load before you've used most of the charge
>>
>>87463471
>>87464174
>>
>>87463530
>>87464044
It does matter where it is because we will need to massively tap into those resources soon
When that happens we will need to do away with the coin batteries for computer motherboards as soon as possible
>>
>>87465151
Using lithium for car batteries is the biggest waste of resources in history.
>>
>>87461334
>leave PC off for more than 6 months
>flash memory degrades
>motherboard is bricked
>>
File: img.png (195 KB, 396x633)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>>87462055
>Most of it is in south america
If by "it" you mean cheap labor you can exploit then yeah, South America is full of "it."
>>
>>87465205
Indeed, and it will eventually make our precious cr2032 batteries far more expensive in the near future
I really think manufacturers should use a different solution for time and date storage
>>
>>87462055
EVs that rely on batteries won't ever replace anything, they don't have the mileage. They are meme cars.
Volvo is making hydrogen fuel cell trucks that can go for up to 1000 miles on 1 fuel cell. That's much more likely to be the future.

Unfortunately it'll take a decade or so for it to happen.
>>
>>87461334
PROTIP: A CR2032 is nothing but a 3 volt battery. There's enough space inside a PC case that it doesn't need to be an actual watch battery. There is nothing stopping you from running your computer clock and CMOS chip off a couple AA batteries wired to the contacts of the battery holder - I've done this before on one computer that used some weird proprietary potted battery module that plugged into the motherboard. Of course if you use AA or similar batteries you'll want to set them in some sort of tray in case they leak.
>>
>>87465230
You say these things, yet the old Pentium 2 system my family had in the late 90s to early 00s still worked perfectly after being put in a closet for a decade. Similarly with the Athlon 2 x64 motherboard I had in a box for years before getting it out when my home server/NAS box broke, to make it work again until I can get a better board for it. Both of these boards have an upgradable BIOS and it survived being unused, unpowered and on a board sitting in a box for years.
>>
>>87461334
Lithium batteries will be replaced by sodium batteries.
>>
>>87461334
>>lithium will become ever more scarce as demand for high efficiency batteries rise
Lithium is one thing we don't have to worry about running out of.
>>
>>87467076
Or, for low draw applications like watches and BIOS batteries, we could replace them with betavoltaic cells and not worry about changing them for the next few thousand years.
>>
>>87462881
Well, sort of. I have a clock that uses a supercap to store time when the cord is unplugged, but it only lasts for about two weeks. That's to keep a little quartz crystal ticking away. Your computer battery needs to not only do that, but also power a megabyte of CMOS storage.
>>
File: _w8a0658.jpg (175 KB, 1280x720)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>87465205
Unfortunately lithium is the only way to make electric cars that can approach fossil cars in performance, or enough so to not be an enormous downgrade for the average person.
The alternatives to lithium batteries are all inferior in weight and capacity. The reality, I fear, is that the wealthy will get to drive electric cars comparable to modern cars, while everyone else gets stuck with tiny shitboxes with a ten kilometer range at 60km/h and no AC.
>>87466613
>hydrogen
Absolutely useless fuel. You either need huge pressurised tanks to store it, at which point the weight is such that you'd get more efficiency with lead-acid batteries, or you need cryogenic tanks to store it, which is a whole other type of ridiculousness.
>>
>>87467476
a megabyte? i doubt the cmos sram is even a kilobyte
it doesn't store the bios rom itself, only settings
>>
File: file.png (801 KB, 800x462)
801 KB
801 KB PNG
I'll be drawing with wood gas, fuck everyone
>>
>>87467585
s/drawing/driving/
>>
>>87466613
>EVs that rely on batteries won't ever replace anything
Do you want to bet on that? Tesla shills and most politicians think and will act otherwise
If someone really cared about the environment we'd have moved to nuclear powered hydrogen production years ago, we have the technology for it and it'd make the world go carbon neutral in less than 15 years
>>
File: wat.jpg (41 KB, 374x374)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
People thinking EVs save the planet are delusional. What happens to the old vehicles? Yet more waste on the planet? How much CO2 is wasted on manufacturing EVs? Why do teslas keep blowing up? If people want to live in cities, why do we need cars there at all, considering there's many more efficient options for transport.
>>
>>87467523
Sodium batteries have same/higher capacity but less charging cycles.
>>
>>87461334
>>world is shifting into electricity to replace every "non-green" energy source
Yeah, that's why Europe is restarting its coal plants.
>>
>>87467523
Ammonia might work best as a means of storing and transporting hydrogen, at low pressure it has energy density better then liquid hydrogen and can then be cracked back into hydrogen if needed or used in direct ammonia fuel cells.
>>
>>87467778
Or you could just use direct ethanol fuel cells.
>>
>>87467666
>What happens to the old vehicles?
Same thing that would if you got a gasoline car. Old EVs can be crushed for scrap once the battery and electronics are removed and recycled.
>How much CO2 is wasted on manufacturing EVs?
I'd expect fairly similar amounts to what's involved in making any other car.
>Why do teslas keep blowing up?
Because new things and rare things are both much more likely to appear on the news. You don't see gasoline fires in crashed cars on the news because it's so commonplace.
>If people want to live in cities, why do we need cars there at all, considering there's many more efficient options for transport.
Now this makes good sense. A lot of, not all, cars driving around in a dense city can be eliminated by a good public transit system. Even just a website to help people organize carpooling and a PSA campaign to promote it could cut back on traffic. But in rural areas, cars make more sense for local travel, though longer distance travel would probably be better served by buses or trains.
>>
>>87467812
Or you could convert existing ICEs to ethanol.
>>
>>87467812
>>87468182
The problem with ethanol is it requires fossil fuel to grow and harvest crops, hydrogen only needs electricity.
>>
>>87461334
>green energy push will sideload carbon footprint tracker
>social credit score implemented worldwide
kys niggercattle why can't you just fucking die
>>
>>87461334
>>world is shifting into electricity to replace every "non-green" energy source
Have you read the news lately? Greens are pro-coal plants.
>>
>>87461334
>make alkaline, NiCd, NiMh, etc. CR2016s
>problem solved
>>
File: file.png (730 KB, 1200x628)
730 KB
730 KB PNG
>>
>cr2032 batteries will be low priority and eventually phased out
lol nope

they are more ubiquitous than you as a zoomer think
>>
>>87461334
Can we just go nuclear already
>>
>>87461334
an electric car battery uses 600000 times more lithium than a cr2032. if we replaced every single cr2032 in the 80 million pc's shipped per year that would be enough lithium for only 130 electric cars and that's globally per year. I'm thinking not worth it
>>
dallas chips should make a comeback
>>
>>87461334
Just use caps for time and store settings on a NAND, solved.
>>
>>87461334
>So can we start getting rid of these batteries to store date and time already?
I replaced all mine with super caps
>>
>>87462730
I'm not sure capacity helps with self discharge all that much, we just need low leakage caps. Like a week would be cool for most devices
>>
>>87461334
>people keep buying those in droves because pretty much everything small and cheap use those things
>factories keep manufacturing em because it's profitable
>>
>>87470879
Capacitors are shit at storing charge
Even super caps get daily dosed by one of those bad boys.
And i don't think computers use the battery to keep the settings anymore.
>>
>>87472521
they do, you can still clear CMOS by removing the battery instead of using the jumper (if your mobo even have a jumper)
>>
>>87462055
>you will when every car is replaced by EVs with batteries that have to be replaced every 5 years
I think you're underestimating the difference in thepower needed to propel a 3000 pound vehicle to highway speeds for 300+ miles, vs the power needed keep your motherboard's clock running for a few years. One single Tesla battey probably has more lithium than 100k CR2032s
>>87467001
>There is nothing stopping you from running your computer clock and CMOS chip off a couple AA batteries wired to the contacts of the battery holder
good point, it's refreshing to find someone with a brain around here
>>87462730
>the cr2032 could be replaced with fucking huge capacitor, but then user can not replace it as easy when it brokes
is there some technical reason why socketable capacitors are impossible?
>>87467038
>Both of these boards have an upgradable BIOS and it survived being unused, unpowered and on a board sitting in a box for years.
To reinforce your point, there are sub-1GB USB flash drives in my parents' kitchen drawer that still have my school assignments from the early 2000s saved to them
>Unfortunately lithium is the only way to make electric cars that can approach fossil cars in performance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acela
go ahead and tell me traincars aren't cars
>>
>>87467523
>The reality, I fear, is that the wealthy will get to drive electric cars comparable to modern cars, while everyone else gets stuck with tiny shitboxes with a ten kilometer range at 60km/h and no AC.
That's an american problem. I live within cycling distance of all the infrastructure and services I need. Moreover, the people who make these calculations for a living know that the endgame is liquid fuel reserved for emergency vehicles and aircraft, and electric public transit for everyone else. Lithium batteries will never be anything more than a transitional technology.
>>
>>87467666
>missing the most obvious question
What generates the electricity used to charge the batteries? Electric car proponents probably think it's all from solar, wind, or I dunno, vegan farts.
>>
>>87473251
You'll have to forgive me for not getting excited about your dystopian fantasy.
>>
>>87473181
>I think you're underestimating the difference in thepower needed to propel a 3000 pound vehicle to highway speeds for 300+ miles, vs the power needed keep your motherboard's clock running for a few years. One single Tesla battey probably has more lithium than 100k CR2032s
That's the point
Lithium will be in far higher demand because of EVs, and eventually most of the cars burning fuel will be replaced by them
When that happens things like our "beloved" cr2032 batteries will be low priority for the lithium market
>>
>>87473181
>is there some technical reason why socketable capacitors are impossible?
Just that the capacity on them is small enough that it would be lucky to last a night, much less the weeks to months people expect their BIOS to retain settings for without power during shipping, moving or storage.
>>
>>87475099
Good supercaps can last long enough for those use cases
>>
>>87467038
based, only true oldfags know the hassle of using a msdos startup disk, flashing a bios update with afudos, the bin file and a diskette
>>
>>87475161
Unnecessary if we just switched to super caps
>>
>>87476276
omg we think alike, wanna make out? :3
>>
>>87476411
Yes but not with you
>>
>>87465205
cars are the biggest waste of space in history, lets get rid of most of them
>>
>>87477133
humans are the biggest waste of space in history, lets get rid of most of them
>>
would a chip that receives GPS time be cheaper?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.