[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1651345425686.jpg (31 KB, 474x481)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Holy shit it's happening
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-open-sources-linux-drivers
Hell has frozen over
>>
>>86937709
>https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-open-sources-linux-drivers
thanks to intel
>>
>>86937729
It all started with AMD though, I'm just grateful that by the end of the year of 2022, we don't have to fight with graphics drivers anymore.
>>
>>86937709
What the fuck took them so long? It's about damn time. Finally we can all just buy what we want and not have to bitch and argue over nothing. Thank you hacker group.
>>
>>86937787
It was Intel and AMD that are forcing their hand. Amd started the whole thing, then Intel is releasing their new gpu as open source. Nvidia just doesn't have a leg to stand on. Businesses are sick and tired of fighting with nvidia GPUs in their workstations and servers. Of course the trickle down effect will happen as GeForce GPU drivers are still in alpha. By January we should have no more proprietary drivers for GPUs in the Linux kernel
>>
>all low end gpus on the market are fermis, pascals, and even some keplers
>no driver support even in loonix

What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>86937821
>>86937787
>>86937746

That is, if you guys are using the newer cards. 1080ti n under can suck the green nvidia dick
>>
>>86937787
I don't think it was the hacker group. Maybe a cost incentive? Idk, but I do know evil has been losing a lot recently, and good has been winning. There is hope.
>>
The long awaited "Year of the Linux Desktop" is finally here
>>
>>86937709
It's only the kernel modules. All the userspace and graphics code is still proprietary. All this changes is that you can update your driver without rebooting.
>>
>>86938072
To be fair, AMDGPU also started like that and eventually they added support for older GCN cards. I hope nvidia does something similar.
>>
>>86938713
Mesa can add support for the new driver.
>>
>>86937709
Nice. At least it's a start.
>>
fuck you geeks, we're still gonna inflate the prices unless you stop buying our products
just like old intel did with cpus

thank God there's competition in american companies, unlike the korean cartels who've been price fixing ram and hdds since forever

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.