[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hn.jpg (12 KB, 700x250)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
What made you realize this site is a midwit wasteland?
>>
The fact that /g/ copypastas so many of its "articles".
>>
Links are gold, comments are manure
>>
>>86937188
the comments are even more retarded than on reddit lmao
>>
when I posted me penis with a gravis ultrasound and only got like 10 updoots
>>
>>86937188
when i fell for the Lisp meme because Paul Graham says that it gives you superpowers, and if you don't use it you're a brainlet

Then when i got into it i started realizing that this language is an unreadable piece of shit

even the R*ddit founders gave up on Lisp and started used Python, even though they built the site with Lisp at first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq7DEUhr7o0
>>
To me, it's the endless "Show hn" threads where somebody fires up their first express app and makes a todo list app with a theme the makes it sound like the airbnb of todo list apps. Some shit like "TØDo is a revolutionary focus based mindfullness experience that puts developer integration in creating digital stories". For a site that every second article is shitting on crypto they sure love their scams and ponzies.
>>
>>86937226
I find Clojure pretty easy to read. Maybe you're just retarded, like reddit.
>>
>>86937256
>I find Clojure pretty easy to read
You're probably the one that's retarded.
>>
>>86937226
The guy in the video is making the most retarded argument ever, he just sounds like a lazy fuck
>>
>>86937347
>wanting something that's easy to read = laziness
>>
>>86937364
>literally does not want to get off his desk
>doesn't want to even read anything, just squint
>not a lazy fuck
>>
>>86937232
Bitcoin is the single largest carbon emitter in the world!!! Terribly inefficient
>>
File: 1652543472372.jpg (51 KB, 576x432)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>86937188
I just hate all the comments. Everything is meta for no reason and has 10.5 billion anecdotes that are barely relatable to the story. I bet comments would drastically improve if it removed usernames cause most dipshits are creating an online persona to look good for companies/hiring/ego.

Which is why I like 4chan. You could talk shit and be arrogant and forget about it the next day cause it's all anon and we're just shooting the shit. HackerNews is like talking to coworkers but worse and you can guess the comments before you open them. Can't trust any retard on there to not get sand in their vagina too. Here, if the OP is being a retard, we just call him a fag and move on. HackerNews? Ummm sweaty you need to form a coherent argument and comment back and forth like you're cross examining in a fucking court.

Just a bunch of virtue signaling fags that pretend to care about society, the world, climate change etc while not actually doing anything. Literally all talk and no walk those limp wristed masturbators. Faggots I tell you.
>>
>>86937188
they should really rename it 'yuppie news'
still better than 4chan tbqh desuwa
>>
File: EXRchKVXsAELe6d.jpg (68 KB, 680x678)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>86937436
>I bet comments would drastically improve if it removed usernames
Yeah, cuz that's worked JUST SO WELL for 4chan.
>>
File: 1652543837176.jpg (67 KB, 400x294)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>86937461
It does work well. The only thing to improve here is randomly generated user IDs for each thread posts so you know who is samefagging. What else more do you need?
>>
>>86937496
>:this_is_just_fine.gif: - the post.
>>
>>86937496
Which /pol/ (and a few other boards) do.
Isn't /pol/ such a great board? Truly, a sight to behold for its quality of discussion.
>>
>>86937617
>>86937461
>>86937601
Fag
>>
>>86937632
>i have no counter argument
Your unconditional surrender is accepted. Bend over bitch, and prepare for your "treaty".
>>
>>86937188
which one do you mean anon, /g/ or HN?
both are midwit wastelands anyway
>>
>>86937188
Reading it. Lel.
>>
>>86937436
Could you please read the guidelines? How is this post informat-
>blah blah blah I want to ban you for having opinions I don't like blah
That's the site.
>>
I don't really have an issue with it except for those few comments which are just boring anecdotes or people desperately trying to chip in
it's also too bay area focused but that makes sense

overall I kinda like it, just read comments with a grain of salt, there's some interesting articles pasted, and I've read a number of useful comments from own experiences
it's fine
a lot less useful if you're not american tho
>>
>>86937643>
physically cringe
>>
>>86937226
They switched to python because they wanted Reddit to be powered by an easy to use and already existing web framework, turns out that all the python frameworks they considered using sucked and they had to write their own anyways.
So much for switching to a lesser language out of convenience.
>>
>>86937896
A submissive bitch too? My favorite.
>>
As if 4chan /g/ is any better.
I've been here long enough to see 3 generations of people.
My conclusion is:
Nothing changes rapidly enough for even a thousand years to matter.

The same 16 yr olds (who were me in 2004) today are operating on the same lack of accumulated knowledge, making the same posts, running on the same type of behavior loop.

>what made you
30 years of being an observant introvert.
You're not special and are making the same mistakes we all have for thousands of years.
>>
>>86937454
>yuppie news
That's actually a good thing.
>>
it's ogre
the self-aware 30 year old guy is here to tell us wassup
>>
HN is a marketing forum, not a technical one.

>>86937196
>Links are gold
Many are links to company blogs where they shill new features. Others are links to braindead projects; the developers submit them, hoping they'll get some recruiter action.
>>
>>86938028
a) 34 this year
b) oh haha so funny
>>
>>86937188
Regardless of what it really is. It's several times better than /g/.
>>
>>86938119
To be completely fair, so is your average public toilet wall.
>>
>>86938119
>>86938139
yeah but both of your moms are whores so I'm right and you're wrong

Now queue up for the 15000th "how does linux work?" thread
>>
>>86937188
what are some alternatives to it?
>>
>>86938156
If your comeback generator never developed beyond the third grade, then /g/ is probably a better choice than anything else, yes.
>>
>>86937256
i like lisp when i use it (mainly custom emacs tools) but there's no denying that it takes getting used to.
>>
>>86937226
why didn't they use java?
>>
>>86938177
Oh man youre so young you dont even realize that grade school insults are the best, always. Forever.
>>
>>86937617
Well yea, it is actually a nice place for discussion, so is most of 4chan. In fact, substantially better than any other forum I've used (and most of them are dead now).

I think you've got a stick up your ass over "far right" nonsense and it's clouding your ability to look at anything objectively. If /pol/ has a problem it's that it gets spammed constantly by trolls and bots, not that posters have ID's
>>
>>86937188
I don't know I could just feel it
>>
>>86937643
Clearly didn't read >>86937436 :
>Can't trust any retard on there to not get sand in their vagina too. Here, if the OP is being a retard, we just call him a fag and move on.
Guessing you have sand in your vagina lol
>>
>>86937188
yeah as opposed to totally retarded, here
>>
>>86937461
pro's and con's, certainly. without names and points there's less incentive to just regurgitate the groupthink. Of course, then people aren't really held accountable for the dumb bullshit they say unless a mod gets offended, are almost encouraged to post dumb bullshit by the shield of pure anonymity.
>>
>>86938315
>without names and points there's less incentive to just regurgitate the groupthink
lol
>what does /g/ think of...
>what do we think of...
>let's blow this admitted pedophile's cock for another 350 posts...
>>
>>86937188
this planet is a midwit wasteland
>>
Paul Graham's latest rant - paulgraham.com [3924 points]

Launch HN: Wheelio (YC W420) - Reinventing the wheel for the 21st Century [promoted]

Why it's in $Corporation values to breathe and drink water - blogspam.corporation.com [412 points]

[flagged]

Actual interesting technology read - someguy.github.io [13 points]
>>
>>86938243
>>86937461
go back
>>
>>86938508
I will, I'm going to pack my bags.
Goodbye anons, I will miss you :'(

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.