[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1643593070215.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Why didn't Solar Roadways come out yet? Like even a tech demo.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU
After watching the reddit as fuck intro video on the subject from 2014 i looked into it further to see what happened since then:

the first public installation was in Jeff Jones Town Square in Sandpoint, Idaho. It opened to the public on September 30, 2016, as a pilot installation for a pedestrian walkway.[13] This installation consists of 30 Solar Roadways SR3 panels, covering an area of roughly 150 square feet (14 m2). The cost of this installation was roughly $60,000, with the majority of the money coming from a grant from the Idaho Department of Commerce ($47,134), and a $10,000 grant from the Sandpoint Urban Renewal Agency.[14] A webcam was installed to broadcast a view of the installation.[15] The 30 tiles in Sandpoint generated power which was fed into the electricity meter at Jeff Jones Town Square, averaging around ¼ kWh per day during their most productive month, August 2018.[16] For comparison, a typical home solar panel produces 1.45 kWh per typical day.[17]

In December 2018, Solar Roadways shut down the SR3 pilot installation in Sandpoint after some problems started to emerge. LEDs in certain colors started to fade unexpectedly, and snow caused problems for the heating elements because of the metal strips which cover the gap between the panels. Scott Brusaw said Solar Roadways would install their newest SR4 prototype in 2019 at no cost to the city. SR4 is due to have rubber strips to mitigate problems with heat distribution.[18]

In June 2019, Solar Roadways announced a second pilot installation in Baltimore, Maryland. It will be a 36-panel display of the new SR4 model installed at the Inner Harbor tourist destination. The company has also made a deal with a manufacturer to increase production which was limited to three panels per day.[19] [20]

bascially sneed.
>>
Solar is a fucking meme in aus you get fuck all credit back like 12kwph and I have a 10kw system barely paid for itself
>>
>>86936301
>Like even a tech demo.
One did.
They did a small installation in a town where people could walk on it and it failed spectacularly.
So bad that the people behind it shoveled snow off and then posted a photo claiming that the heating in the tiles was keeping the snow clear, clearly forgetting the live camera pointing at the installation they were caught on.
>>
There's a scam waste of money
>>
>>86936301
Because Thunderf00t
>>
>>86936301
They did
https://www.businessinsider.com/worlds-first-solar-road-turned-out-colossal-failure-2019-8
>>
>>86936301
>an_average_american_road.jpg
>>
>>86936301
they built one in france and it managed to be even shittier than what the critics had predicted, no small feat
>>
>>86936554
all grid-connected solar is
>>
>>86936301
Have you ever seen bumps or holes in the road? Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to maintain asphalt road? Now imagine having it made from fucking solar panels. Now imagine all the dirt and filth that is covering the roads. It isn't enough that solar doesn't work during the night or winter, now after a week or two it would be covered in dirt.
RETARD tier scam.
It would be magnitudes cheaper to just build regular solar roof over existing roads.
>>
File: 20220405_0048b.jpg (3.35 MB, 5184x3456)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
>>86937137
meanwhile in Europe...
>>
i heard solar tech sucks because battery tech sucks and we should rely on nuclear energy instead since you can build it in a ton more places
>>
>>86937137
yup that's shartland as i know it. actually that's a relatively nice spot since it actually has a sidewalk
>>
>>86936378
Keep my states name out yo mouth
KEEP MY STATES NAME OUT YO MOTHER FUCKIN MOUF
>>
>>86936301
Let them do a fucking proper asphalts road first, I swear it feels like a shithole
t. leaf
>>
>>86937217
>i heard solar tech sucks because battery tech sucks
the panels suck too
>>
>>86936301
Too expensive. You can't use regular glass because it cracks, you can't use plastic because it scratches very easily. Miles of thick tempered glass is extremely expensive and the smooth surface of it would create dangerous conditions for cars which mostly use melons as tires.

It's 1,000X better to simply install solar panels on car roofs instead. Hybrids would get like 100 MPG and EVs would require less charges per month.
>>
>>86936301
>Like even a tech demo.
There was a demo, but it sucked. Unsurprising, since the concept was retarded.
>>
>>86936301
Solar roads are the new flying cars: an idiotic idea that completely falls apart if you think about it for more than half a second, but it keeps getting brought up because of retards.
>>
>>86937893
but jetpacks are legit
>>
>>86936301
Roads get dirty, wet, worn, and they aren't angled. Solar roads are a terrible idea.
>>
>>86937350
Yeah how as North America not figured out asphalt yet?
Even in countries with huge temperature swings like Norway roads look fine.
>>
>>86938203
We don’t maintain them because of government corruption
>>
>>86937893
I would buy a flying car if I had millions to burn.
Don't see what's wrong with it, just not something you can have the plebs get their hands on or the airfields and skies would get too busy.
>>
>>86938249
flying cars are called helicopters

we've literally had them for over 70 years
>>
>>86938259
Helicopters typically aren't allowed to land in residential or commercial areas.
You can't use them for door-to-door transportation.

You could drive a regular car to your local airfield, hop in your helicopter or plane, and fly to an airfield close to your destination.
But then you need a rental car, a taxi, or to take public transportation for the last few kilometers.
Having a "helicopter" (autogyro, but whatever) that's also road legal fixes this.
>>
>>86936301
Imagine how much fucking lithium it would take to implement this on even a moderate scale. Imagine having to dispose of it all even more frequently that regular solar panels because of the constant wear from being driven on. In short, whoever thought this was even remotely feasible or a good idea was a drooling retard.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (168 KB, 1280x720)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
On a related note, solar powered EVs are now completely viable but only for the Japanese. You could essentially outfit picrel with a ~100 HP electric motorcycle motor which only consumes around ~4kW (normal EVs consume ~10kW) at highway speeds and use a 400W solar panel to generate about 1kWh per day from the sun. Such an EV would be able to travel 10-15 miles from sun energy alone and a great deal of japanese travel less than 10 miles a day especially in city areas. With the exception of bad weather and long trips, charging would be eliminated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol6ndCRt7yo

https://www.lg.com/us/business/neon-r/lg-lg440qac-a6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_domestic_market
>>
>>86938519
If you live in the city you probably don't have a parking spot that gets plenty of direct sunlight.
Plus AC home/roadside charging is cheap and simple so why even bother?
>>
>>86938654
Almost free "fuel" for the entire year, the tree huggers get a woodie, less reliance on big electricity, and your EV would now double as a solar generator (ie see 12V AC inverters) in power outages. Everybody wins.
>>
>>86937211
>random shitty sidewalk vs major road in every city
>>
File: startups.png (466 KB, 817x1200)
466 KB
466 KB PNG
>>86936301
Because they were a startup scam like millions of others. They just happened to get a bit more publicity
>>
>>86936556
Amen.
>>
>>86938734
Or you could just put the solar panels on your roof and have all that for much cheaper.
I'm not against solar panels but putting them on vehicles is nearly as silly as putting them on roads (except for a small panel to keep the 12V battery topped up, which even some gas powered cars have)
>>
>>86938860
It's the most practical since bolting down a solar panel on a car is exponentially more affordable than installing them on a home which is going to become less and less common as you know who push for a "you will own nothing and you will be happy" future.
>>
>>86938931
wat?
>>
>>86936378
>fricking
>freakin
>frickin
>freakin
>frickin'
god my soul
>>
>>86936556
unironically this

dude literally murdered them multiple times over

the second their finger would hit the keyboard to type out some bs press release, thunderf00t would have a 6 hour video prepared ripping their whole operation to shreds

despite how fucking annoying and autistic tfoot is, it was actually pretty entertaining
>>
>>86937217
nuclear FREAKING roadways?
>>
>>86938984
Houses that used to cost only a couple hundred thousand dollars now cost half a million dollars or more. Owning a home is going to become less and less common so we're all going to start living like fucking rats in apartments soon.
>>
>>86937137
Michigan is a shithole
>>
>>86936301
road made from cells are a terrible idea.
Solar paint is a option but manufacturing isn't solved yet and pretty sure yield will be very low. Also questionable environmental effects.
>>
>>86937217
Pumped hydro batteries

>>86937384
Concentrated solar

There you go, both problems fixed. Anyways, none of those issues had anything to do with the failure of this scam. Turns out building solar panels on the ground is a horrible idea, and using them as roads is 10x worse because cars will be constantly covering most of the panels.
>>
>>86939181
Hydro batteries have a relatively slow startup time
>>
>>86939198
Does it really matter when you have all day to charge them?
>>
>>86939218
It matters when there's sudden demand bump.
>>
File: mpv-shot0013.jpg (88 KB, 640x360)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>86936301
wth
>>
>>86937640
solar panels aren't as effecient as you think' panels on car roofs are mostly useless. i forget which, but one car with a roof panel only uses it to run fans to keep the interior from ovening in summer
>>
>>86936378
>150 square feet (14 m2).
>The cost of this installation was roughly $60,000,
isn't that way too much? That would be like ~13 normal panels which is roughly 4000€.
>>
>>86939283
Tesla has already achieved 15 miles per day on an EV truck that would mostly likely exceed 10kW of power consumption in highway speeds with solar panels or roughly 3kWh per day, albeit with a very large array, also see >>86938519

https://electrek.co/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-solar-roof-option-add-range/
>>
>>86939060
>nuclear FREAKING roadways
Nice, fuck roads.
>>
>>86939292
Normal panels aren't rated for 13 ton loads
>>
>>86939283
Yup, there are little solar panels you can buy for your home or log cabin that only run a couple of vent fans to ventilate it so it doesn't get damp and moldy if it's not in use.
>>
>>86938397
What we do in my country is have a car at each end of the railway or by each airport.
>>
>>86939349
tesla's ev truck thing is a complete meme my dude, do you even understand how fucking heavy semi trucks are and the volume and weight of batteries required to achieve usable ranges? i work at a diesel truck dealer and just finished training on our soon to be released electric box trucks, the battery pack requires special lifting apparatus as it weighs several tons and can't even do 150 miles reliably in cold conditions
>>
I doubt even purpose-built reinforced solar panels could withstand the concentrated cyclical loading that regular low speed road usage incurs, much less high speed freeway usage.
>>
>>86936301
It is the absolute stupidest choice. Building a solar roof over roads is far more practical.

Cars block sunlight and tires stress the road and an accident will cause major damage to the road. Plus you have tire marks and automotive fluids and greases.
>>
>>86937217
Nuclear energy is amazing and cost effective even without subsidy. But the government is doing its best to NIMBY.
>>
>>86939622
>solar roof over roads
Also an idiotic idea.
>>
>>86939554
Battery tech will improve but the main focus point of the tesla truck is the first practical example of a solar car for people who drive less than 15 miles per day who will rarely have to charge their EV. The $40k msrp is more than compensated for by the near $0 in "fuel" costs, again only for those who drive less than 15 miles per day.
>>
>>86939428
>150 square feet (14 M^2)
>The cost of this installation was roughly $60,000
Isn't that way too much? That would be like between $300..$500 of asphalt depending on location.
>>
>>86939741
Even if you spend $250 a month on gas you will only save a max of $3000 a year in fuel, that's BEFORE you cut out the extra electricity you have to buy.
>>
>>86939045
His editing style is pretty lazy, but it is funny that he releases a new video every time they (being anyone he's made a rebuttal to before) make any public statement.
>>86937137
Well-worn, an indication of a vibrant economy and a vestigial government. Now imagine how many of your local tax dollars would be wasted if you let the government give cushy million dollar road repair contracts for pouring $1000 worth of asphalt on the ground.
>>
>>86939833
asphalt cost is not the sum total of a road cost
either way this shit was only 14m2 of a WALKWAY and it was garbage in practice
imagine if cars had to drive on it
don't know if they used the full "car rated" technology cost for that test
>>
>>86939919
Sorry, meant to say installation, not asphalt.
$300..$500 is the total cost of INSTALLATION and MATERIALS.
>>
>>86939741
cybertruck is the solar roadways of cars
>>
>>86939622
as a first step, they could put solar roofs over every walmart in the country, that would already take them a decade and is actually feasible TODAY with TODAY'S technology

solar roadways is just a scheme to feed buzzwords to retarded politicians and siphon off as much taxpayer money as possible
>>
>>86939622
Yeah the weird part is not only does it have all those obvious issues that would make the project stop, but it doesn't have a single positive to push people forward.

>lets put solar panels on roads to not waste space
>But there isn't lack of space for solar?
the end. IF there was desperate need for space it would be a discussion where you could place solar panels, but there isn't. So why didnt they stop?
>>
>>86936301
They were an even worse meme than solar panels in general. On top of being extremely expensive they would need regular replacement, even ignoring damage caused by normal use of the roadway, not to mention potentially reducing the integrity of the road surface which might mean it has a weight limit now, and then you're only generating power for a certain part of the day and only if the weather is clear. And then you have to transmit that power, which means you're going to lose some of it. Solar roadways just don't make any kind of sense.
>>
>>86939914
You say lazy, I say holdover from old youtube
>>
>>86936378
>all that cost
>a quarter kwh per day on a good day
Lmao holy shit!
>>
>>86940703
https://bird.trom.tf/christina_bobb/status/1347596278583197698
So would you like to apologize?
>>
>>86940748
It's very convenient how the camera pans over to the opening door so as to protect this anonymous cop from being seen.
>>
>>86939069
>Houses that used to cost only a couple hundred thousand dollars now cost
only a couple hundred thousand dollars more, no biggie.
>>
>>86937211
using belgium as an example is cheating
>>
>>86938397
>Helicopters typically aren't allowed to land in residential or commercial areas.
>You can't use them for door-to-door transportation.
And if you make a car into a helicopter, you'll get the same restrictions.
>>
>>86936301
It was a bad idea from the start and a money pit. I think one of the few installs of it was in a northern US state and it produces jack shit for power.
>>
how come we dont put turbines on ocean currents? how come california doesnt use desalinization plants to source its water? how come we dont just build a bunch of nuclear power plants?
its because its an absurd world we live in m8
>>
>>86942315
Friends of gov don't have access to the tech to do that so we waste money of solar and wind farms where gov money flows like wine.
>>
>>86942375
>>86942396
>>86942427
can you fuck off back to pol now
kys if you arent bots because you might as well be
>>
>>86939741
And what if battery tech doesnt improve?
>>
>>86937137
i've lived in other states than the one i'm in now (oregon) for years and everyone everywhere - without fail - bitches about their roads. they're usually right.
oregonians bitch about their roads constantly, too, but holy fuck - they have no idea how bad it is elsewhere. we have periodic shallow potholes and drainage problems and everyone here is wailing about like "oooh it's gonna break my car!!! can i sue odot when my car gets a flat??"
faggots, drive down to california and say the same shit. you cross the state line and your cupholders start shaking out of your car. drive up to washington and it's like you're driving full time on those side-of-road noisemakers. i actually haven't been to idaho but i figure it's gonna look like your pic.
>>
>>86936301
Roads take an insane beating, some of them every single day.
Roads are highly engineered for strength and resilience, and they still get fucked up. Why would you put a solar panel in one?
You might be able to put solar panels above the roads, but that's a different entirely than a "solar roadway".
>>86937211
>>86937137
OP:
>Ahh yes! Perfect spot for muh heckin' solar panez
>>
>>86942604
>Everyone in Washington brags about low income taxes
>Drive across the border from BC to WA and the infrastructure and roads regress 50 years as soon as you get off the I5
>>
>>86943234
>the I5
is it just an oregon thing to refer to the highways as just "i5" instead of "THE i5"? LA people do this too
>>
>>86936301
Only works with car centric shitholes that are completely paved AND care about the environment. Which is an empty set.
>>
Putting solar panels flat on the ground and driving over them is fucking retarded.
>>
>>86936301
if you had a pen and paper you could easily do the calculations of how bad it is. based dave (eevblog) has a few videos on it. they're an incredibly bad idea in every way they can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM50P4K9UVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpwx-8s1M38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZds
>>
>>86937137
That's somewhere up north that get a lot of snow damage. Though, it's not too far off.
>>
aren't solar panels extremely nerfed for (((reasons)))?
What's the status of ion harvesting?
>>
>>86943268
Oregonfags have no rhyme or reason to it. It's I-5, 205, 84 or Banfield, 26 or Sunset, and so on.
Califags add "the" to their freeways. That's how you can spot one when they move there. And the fact that Oregonfags light their cars on fire.
>>
>>86945118
>What's the status of ion harvesting?
Looked it up and probably DoA.
>>
>>86945190
>and probably DoA.
why's that?
>>
>>86945203
Because I found the site advertising the technology and about half way down they're like "it's been demonstrated with batteries, televisions, computers, music systems, power tools and fans!" but none of the images show any form of collection system delivering power to those devices and when you scroll further down you find an actual test setup where you have two 130ft ion collector poles powering a single LED bulb.

What this suggests to me is that while it is possible to harvest electricity this way, it's not very practical and the energy density is low. Kinda like you CAN harvest energy from wireless networks, it's a tiny amount that's not worth it except in some limited use cases (like NFC).
>>
>>86938747
>random shitty nobody city vs major metropolitan european city
see? I can do it too
>>
>>86936301
Roads are made out of the most dense and heavy stuff that comes out of oil manufacturing mixed with rocks for a reason.
You need them to be very strong. You don't make roads out of anything like thick glass that'll cover the solar panels because it'll eventually crack.
>>
>>86945266
In addition to this, I decided to look into Dr. Philip Metzger whose report is referenced in the site and is listed about half way down the "Team" page, and he seems to never talk about this technology. His website doesn't mention it at all. He doesn't mention his affiliation with the Ion Power Group on his website.
And it's a similar case when you look at other PhDs listed on the team.
Their Facebook has no technology updates in over two years (more selfie updates than technology).
>>
>>86945475
People also forget that with constant vehicle traffic, the molded "grips" they formed in glass will get worn to silica dust, and end up in the lungs of pedestrians and drivers with their window open, leading to widespread pulmonary fibrosis.
>>
>>86943234
no one who actually lives in Washington brags about taxes
>for our newest school levy, everyone in King County will now pay for half the other county's schools too! Isn't that great?
>>
So thoughts on small wind turbines for domestic use? The kind of thing Campers/RVs might use.
I know it's not exactly going to power your whole home, but I think of renewables are kind of a "every little helps" kind of solution.
>>
>>86946593
Get solar water heater, because heating water is most of your energy needs. You need hot water both in winter AND summer.
>>
>>86939673
At least it would have some actual benefits, like keeping the road free of snow.
>>
imagine the upkeep
>>
I mean, Nuclear is obviously the most practical to solve energy needs but I do think relying on a single source has it's problems, I think France is having blackouts because several of it's major reactors are having maintenance done at the same time for example.
So yeah, having ubiquitous solar and wind energy backed up by water batteries would help take the pressure off nuclear power a whole heap.
>>
>>86946946
nuclear is stable and improves your nations energy security relative to using gas, you still need to import the fuel but you only need very little. If you make nuclear popular again the fuel price inevitable rises and thats bad, it also will eventually run out. I
ts most expensive way to make electricity, mostly due to upfront costs related to safety. Finland didnt plan the budget its new reactor ended up costing most of which had something to do with strict nuclear building standards.
>>
>>86947004
Use solar power to re-enrich nuclear fuel. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>86936301
Ever since I first heard about the idea of Solar frickin' Roadways I've wanted to see a high speed vehicle collision on a road made made of this stuff
Even just someone rolling over in a Fiat Panda would cause insane amounts of destruction that would put the road out of commission for days if not weeks while it's being repaired, let alone something like a tanker truck losing a tire and then flipping over at high speed

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.