[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1652489822044.png (143 KB, 1850x684)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
Workplace stories. Advice on how to progress in your career. Ask and give help on how to get a job. Discuss the technologies you use.
Making fun of NEETs is allowed and encouraged.

Previous: >>86909375
>>
How was everyone's week
>>
>>86930191
at least it's over
>>
>>86930191
Long day with MS over defender quarantining xhdxs on hvs after patching
>>
>>86930191

I did mostly nothing for the past two days at work so it was pretty good.
>>
>>86930191
I fucking hate Terraform, Azure DevOps and AWS. Also,, FUUUUUCK SECURITY GROUPS.
>>
this is the best thread on /g/
>>
>go to college
>get degree
>coof happens
>stay home to take care of parents
>get the jab
>apply to tech jobs
>"sorry we want someone with more experience"
>have to get a regular wagie job
at least i dont have any loans to pay off i guess
>>
>>86930357
nice revisionist history bud. all tech jobs went WFH 6 months into kung flu, including new hires
>>
I was given a pajeet linux admin to manage last year.. it's actually pretty badass
>>
say I lied on a job application about having worked on projects with xyz tech then forgot about it and now have to discuss this in an interview. how do i convincingly pretend like I haven't done nothing for the last year with a completely grey github commit history?
>>
>>86930527
say your projects are private
>>
>>86930527
Just read up a lil on any technology you put on your resume and what it's good for in case they bring it up, the only thing you don't want to do is completely spill your spaghetti and clearly have zero familiarity with it
>oh yea I worked a little on a react front end we were trying to add to a project but it's been some time I remember it was really good for state management
Not everything people do is versioned but if you really want to be devilish you can just make retroactive commits in a private repo and tick the thing on github that shows private contributions in your git pulse
>>
I have to support devs that are still stuck in the cvs days
>>
>>86930611
> Not everything people do is versioned but if you really want to be devilish you can just make retroactive commits in a private repo and tick the thing on github that shows private contributions in your git pulse
Nta, I’ve been coding for a while but newish to git, would this basically allow me to artificially inflate the git history that people see? Do employers really give it a lot of credence when hiring? Also, just how good would I have to even be for an entry lvl job? (I do actually enjoy learning and coding somewhat)
>>
How hard is it to become a Windows sysadmin? Is it true that it pays better?

I dislike Windows, so I want to make it my job to avoid ruining GNU/Linux for myself.
>>
File: EfXCE01UYAA8csO.jpg (41 KB, 798x644)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>2 months into new job
>Job description was front-end stuff with PHP, JS, and HTML/CSS
>Mostly doing IT work, setting up mail and DNS shit, setting up a physical server, have never learned any of this shit, have to google literally every thing
>have had regular meetings that start at night at 8:30 that going until 10:30, was told this was a one time thing, now it's 2 or 3 times per week because of clients in China
>Job said it was in EST time

Fuck this shit. Sent out 70 resumes in past 2 weeks, got two interviews scheduled and hope to god I can get out of this shit.
>>
>>86930647
Having a completely empty github history can be a red flag if you don't have any other verifiable work/dev experience. Having some github history will at least give the appearance that you have worked on something and have some familiarity with versioning and development in general. I don't think you'd even need to explain anything I put all my gay little practice projects that I still want to keep versioned somewhere in private because there's no reason to publish them to the world. Ideally you should have at least one public project where employers can see you have clean code and an organized commit history but some entry level applicants won't even fucking know what git is and explaining to a new dev versioning and merging branches and shit is a pain so you'll have a leg up on them.
Also don't confuse git and github that pisses off people with aspergers
>>
>>86930737
>Also don't confuse git and github that pisses off people with aspergers
it just outs you as ignorant
>>
was handed a new project to maintain. project is in very early and broken state but is deployed to customers as an early beta because modern web.

now my question: I was told to "just fix the current reported bugs" for a first release, however I can see major restructuring needed to get it to actually do its thing, because whoever created this was retarded. should I push for a preliminary refactor before starting work on this?
>>
File: 1599270858591.jpg (78 KB, 674x500)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>86930723
>2 months into new job
>Job description was building cyber analytics and data science
>Mostly doing front end work inside a bridged Docker webapp/postgresdb, have never learned any of this shit, have to google literally every thing
>deliver every ask within estimates and without any need for corrections, a lot of luck and late nights to test my changes
>finally decide to ask if I can work on analytics because that's what I want to do as a career
>in three hours my bosses have built a new role on the team specifically for me to do analytics, and my team lead says I'm extremely talented and the bosses know it
this is too good to be true... right?
>>
>>86931469
>my team lead says I'm extremely talented and the bosses know it
that might not mean anything if your team lead is the "good guy" type or just a flatterer
>>
>>86930191
pretty darned good, minor issues with our CMS but it was mostly small shit and spending time writing up new deployments
>>
File: 1641295427147.png (913 KB, 640x800)
913 KB
913 KB PNG
>>86931499
Yeah I generally assume the worst / least-noteworthy but that assumption is also cucked in a way.
>>
>>86931469
it's probably a good sign. it sound like the company likes you and wants to have you doing your job.
>>
I have 3 scrums a day on top of updating jira tickets and writing weekly status updates. Please kill my
>>
>release software i wrote
>big company wants to make large purchase order
>fuck yea
>they want me to navigate a massive amount of red tape before sealing the deal
>contracts, ndas, security audit, etc
goddamnit
>>
>waste 4.5 years of my life getting an associates and bachelors in comp info sys
>"experience" is just beginner level sql, vb, c++, html
>looking for a job for going on 8 months
>probably 300+ applications in scattered between everything from software dev shit to helpdesk
>less than 20 interviews
>only got to final round twice, almost always get ghosted by recruiters after the initial phone screening spiel
>couldn't land jobs with TCS or Revature either despite them hounding me
>can't get wagie warehouse or data entry jobs because no experience
your internship bro???? looks like you're fucked lmao try again next life
this is in NYC too, what the fuck am I supposed to do with these useless fucking degrees
>>
>>86930008
got a job as a tester out of the blue, looks like i am going to be some sort of outsourced pajeet lmao, anyone worked as a tester before ? any tips
>>
>>86931715
you should probably go to a psychiatrist.
>>
File: 1544565554979.png (50 KB, 255x204)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>land service desk job
>it's been years since my last tech job
>show up to first day
>no admin rights so I can't really do anything
>ok no problem
>fuck around reading some documentation
>replace a laptop battery
>multiple trips to the bathroom
>repeat every day for my first week
>still no admin rights

I forgot how much I love office jobs.
>>
I am just trying to get better at web devving so I can get a job.
Sometimes I am crying inside while delivering food or practicing while waiting for the next order.
>>
>>86932261
because I can't find a fucking job?
>>
>>86932682
There is clearly something wrong with you if it's that tough bro. Getting rejected from Revature? You gotta do some inner work.
>>
>>86931715
if you cant get a job at revature you might be fucked anon
>>
>>86932569
kek had a similar situation at my job
the instructions they gave me to setup my computer were painfully incomplete and I basically couldnt even start doing the tasks they gave me

just barely got it setup on friday, basically fucked around until then
>>
File: 1652204704683.jpg (297 KB, 1200x800)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>86931715
it's probably your resume, lie or exaggerate a little more, maybe use one of those resume makers.
>>
>>86932698
>>86932741
qrd on revature for eastern euro
>>
>>86932764
gulag for people who can't get a tech job
>>
>>86932741
for context the recruiter wanted me to redo the video questions for the technical assessment because it flagged the exam with an error due to me not submitting an answer for a question because you only get two attempts to record an answer
thanks for the valuable input though it was really helpful
>>
>>86932764
It's a last resort option to getting an entry level tech job. Mostly pajeets go into it. Revature sets you up with a job and takes most of your salary, basically, on a contract. If you break the contract, they sue you.
>>
If you are +30 how do you explain never having a job? Neets of the world I need your wisdom.
>>
>>86932791
LIE ON YOUR RESUME ABOUT ANYTHING THAT IS
1) unprovable to be a lie
2) you can bs your way through, or better yet actually learn
>>
>>86930008
OP, every day I convince myself to keep going on the single thread of mental strength due to:
>4 months ago: Saw my wife's Mom almost die of a car crash, the wreck was like a movie, and her Mom had blood running down her fucking head. But no major injuries and only a concussion but the car was fucking wrecked. Totally her fault for not looking left and going straight.
>3 months ago, I take a week to see my Mom and Bro in a different state, end up having huge arguments but leave on OK terms afterwards
>Come back after trip, same day to my wife's Dad having a stroke and in hospital for weeks on end
>One night when waiting for wife and her Mom during later visiting hours, I almost got carjacked by some Puerto Rican hoodrat that tapped on the window --> slammed on the gas and got out of the fucking parking lot, hands and body shaking out of fear
>Have to do errands like getting meds, car rides to doctor appts while lying to work to say its for my own doctor appts
>My own back becomes crazy bad and have had to do physical therapy twice a week
>Drive my wife home from Dad's medical appt the other week and wait at intersection to take left near rental house. Dude on left should not have gone but goes anyway cause black. I then take a left, only to my horror that another car is coming and I SLAM THE GAS only to barely miss the passenger side getting rammed.
>Shitty technical support job keeps getting jewed with forced assignments for escalated tickets from faggot demanding clients who don't realize work is backed up and management is too fucking stupid to hire more people
>Same job has literally 4 people who hired each other from some other company --> Nepotism to the max
>Only project at work that could maybe land me a Dev job is being gatekeeped by my actual boss, and the guy who made it who won't release Zendesk tokens.
>Only thing keeping me going is the web dev bootcamp I'm doing

It's safe to say to say my life is hanging on by a thread.
>>
>>86932854
Say you were taking care of a family member who had been sick for a while (older, etc). Seen this happen before, and you can do it.

That, or get some bullshit retail job for the time being and slam applications for tech support or help desk bullshit in the meantime.
>>
>>86932609
Start using a better CSS stylesheet framework.

Copy 'good' existing menus in terms of layout and colors. Copy color palettes. Examine the sites that do the same action as your app so you can steal ideas.

Fork existing projects and build upon them / call them your own.

You can do it Anon.

t. dude who's doing a web dev bootcamp, and basically everything is just a fork of a lesson.

You can even find all bootcamp coursework on GitHub if you look hard enough.
>>
File: 1651338353810.jpg (37 KB, 657x527)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>86930191
bit shit
- blocked finishing a feature because the back end guys take an age to do anything and then their results need amendments anyway. i was a full stack dev before and i know that what they do isn't as hard as the time it takes them do it but they get a free pass to fuck around for a week. no one seems to hold them accountable for anything
>you guys still going with x?
>yeah
>ok
- organisation of work to do/backlog is a complete mess
- given piece of work to do in the meantime without a proper a spec that has a hard deadline. any progress i make halted because someone doesn't like the way i've gone about implementing a vague task
>why does it work like that? we should make it do this and that and work like this
>ok but we don't want to waste time doing shit when this is fine, right?
>yeah but lets do this anyway
>ok..
- have to deal with incompetent annoying team member that fucks stuff up all the time but is seemingly given a free pass as well. he's been stuck on something for at least 3 weeks that i would describe as trivial. he makes an awful pr with code copied from package that he pretends he wrote and then we kick it back and then 2 weeks later he is still doing it and everyone's just like "this is not fucking normal" but then we all just ignore the problem
it has dawned on me the attitude at this company is extremely lax which is good i guess? it pays well too but i don't like the way the feeling of not caring is bleeding into my own work ethic
>>
>>86931392
No, focus on main deliverables and that's it. Anything on top of a 'working state' product would be considered a feature request.

t. worked in multiple companies (not in Dev) but have seen Dev teams push this shit as the norm.
>>
>>86932969
I've worked in those kind of places, and while it's comfy for a while, it ends up demotivating everyone and output becomes utter shit. The clever people leave or become full-on slackers, the ass kissers get promoted, and the company stagnates in mediocrity.
>>
>>86932976
thanks, will do that.
>>
File: 1650653393753.jpg (729 KB, 840x854)
729 KB
729 KB JPG
>>86933023
i've only been here for barely 3 months and i'm already worried. it seems like it'd take a herculean effort to get stuff on a different track and the obvious fear is that people are so entrenched in kind of just chugging along in a way that's moderately successful. it's all so strange because the product manager is a charlatan i think and looks busy by talking a whole lot but everyone seems annoyed and resents him and i'm also assuming that state as well now
i would say i'm already demotivated already but i'm inclined to take a wait and see approach to it as now someone else has been brought in to assist the product dude and pick up the slack on all his shit.
how soon is too soon to be considering looking for a new job..
>>
>>86932943
Would that fly? Also I was under the impression that current market would hire almost anybody, am I wrong?
>>
File: 168347537482354.jpg (49 KB, 600x683)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>86932925
you can work through it anon, dont give up
>>
>>86932925
Avoid cars in the future. Also, be glad you at least have a wife and are not a max loner.
t. max loner.
>>
>>86930357
>>get the jab
That's how I know you're a gullible idiot
>>
>coworker says he will do something on standup
>wait on it
>he does not do it
I wish I could be as irresponsible
>>
File: 1602956463261.jpg (5 KB, 252x161)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>86934716
every goddamn day
>i'm doing x
>should get a pr up by the end of the day
repeat ad infinitum
>>
>>86934730
it doesn't even have to a large task. it would be understandable if it took more than what you expected and you were not able to finish it (although even in such case you should update other people if they are waiting on you)

I am talking about small stuff that will take 5mins. People either have memory of a fish or they just don't care. I am tired of chasing people around
>>
I completed a Data Analytics certificate on Coursera and I'm wondering what I should do next. One item on my to-do list is making a project I can actually proudly show off to people, but besides that I have some questions.

If my goal is to get a job should I go wide and shallow, i.e. learn a bit about every major technology used that are usually listed on job postings, or should I just pick something and go deep on that, like for example Python, R, or Tableau. Also, should I aim to get better at every step of the analysis process, or should I focus on something I feel I might be good at, like data visualization.

Also, as far as I've seen there are more techy IT data gigs and ones that are framed more as a business support role and use Excel and PowerBI for example. As a person with an unrelated degree would I be able to transition to a role with a bigger tech stack down the line if I keep learning or would they just say my experience is irrelevant?
>>
>>86934716
>>86934730
>>86934771
They probably do barely any work and browse the internet all day
>>
Anyone here a Palantir employee? (Past or present)
>>
I've been in my current job for 2 months and done no work, nobody has noticed or cared. Only thing I have to do is sit in on some teams meetings and maybe say a few words. I've asked my boss for things to do but he never comes back to me. For the first few weeks I used the time to learn things but now I have just devolved into vidya and cooming. I've even started doing this during the meetings and just not paying attention. Last week I blew my load just as someone asked me something and I just pretended to be stuck on mute.

I can't do this anymore so I have interviewed for another job, got 2nd stage face to face interview on Wednesday. The new job is £80k compared to my current £55k and it will mean commuting an hour each way for maybe 2-3 days a week instead of 100% WFH like I am now.
>>
File: 20220331_083320.jpg (53 KB, 807x767)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>I will not get the certification
>I will get the job anyway
This can happen I'm sure.
>>
>>86930357
Have you done any certs? Have you got a decent portfolio? Have you contributed to any FOSS projects?
>>
>>86934969
Keep learning things until you find a better job offer.
>>
>>86930649
Dude if you want to move to a position that gives more $$$ (assuming you are already a sys or net admin), do some security certs. You should be able to use the certs (Sec+ & CySA+) to get into a /comfy/ cyber sec role.
>>
>>86934969
At some jobs or levels, people expect you to find to stuff to work on. Dont you have unassigned tasks, short term goals? Find a task that aligns with goal and work on it.
>>
>>86931715
Get some certs, do a code boot camp and try to contribute to some FOSS projects. That’s should at least help a little bit with getting your foot in the door.
>>
>certs certs certs
I would assume shilling but there are no links. What is you faggots obsessing over certs? Graduation debts are not enough and now americans continue paying even post graduate?
>>
>>86934815
I mean what sort of area in tech do you ideally want to work in?
>>
>>86935184
Dude CompTIA Network+ is like $380. Breddy cheap. After doing it, you can do Sec+ for around the same price. Under $1000 for both. If someone is stuck in help desk hell and wants out, Sec+ & Network+ is a good start to getting into infosec
>>
>>86935184
the trick is not falling for the college scam in the first place
>>
File: 20220425_063435.jpg (97 KB, 1242x1005)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>86935184
>You've got one piece of paper that says you can do this job,
>BUUUUT
>Do you have TWO piece of paper that says you can do this job?
I hate the certichrist.
>>
>>86934815
I got a job like that without a relevant degree, and I think you definitely want to learn SQL, Python, and BI tool like Tableau. I eventually want to work as a developer, but it seems this is a great place to get closer to tech.
>>
File: IIB_Best-In-Show_1276x2.png (504 KB, 2552x1680)
504 KB
504 KB PNG
>>86935186
Long term I'm kinda fascinated by machine learning and predictive models, but I feel like getting a job like that might be a bit of a stretch as a liberal arts graduate. I've always been a computer guy despite my degree choice, and I learn new skills quickly, but I think it's going to take 6-12 months realistically to up my math skills so I don't feel embarassed applying to jobs that want math/finance/cs majors (but there's a chance they'll still throw me out if I don't have a degree, dunno).

I figured getting a Junior Data Analyst position would enable me to potentially work together with Data Scientists and other more theoretical people, and then I could get more info on what I want to do specifically + the experience would be somewhat transferrable.

I like the problem solving aspect of it all, the fact that it's both an art and a science, and I feel like it could be a good fit for me. I guess I could also aim at a more vanilla code monkey job or even do a bootcamp, but I have the impression that positions like that are a bit more monotonous compared to what a data analyst might do. Am I wrong?
>>
Looks like my desk job is looking for some Excel work turning excel sheets into more robust-ish tooling, except I don't think we've got the auth to use actual 3rd party programming langs.
I guess that'd mean VBA or are there some other alternative for that kind of work nowadays?
>>
>>86935030
What certs are there for programming
>>
>>86935223
Wait really? I’m a helpdesk cuck at the moment, what should I search for on indeed if I get these two certs?
>>
File: 1652534651339.jpg (156 KB, 1400x969)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>86935522
Thanks for the reply. I already know the basics of all the tools you listed, so I guess I'm on the right path. Did you have a portfolio when you got your job? Did you get quizzed on the technical stuff?

I've been on one technical interview so far and I had to show my excel + powerpoint skills on some mock data. Excel macros was like the one thing I didn't know so I guess I should study those too.
>>
Is it possible to get a remote part time dev job? Ideally not webdev. I'm a student in europe with 1 yoe.
Most jobs here look rather boring and the pay is pretty garbage by dev standards.
>>
>>86935984
You're on the right path, I agree. It was an internal transfer, and I have yet to learn a lot. I demonstrated my skills with projects, so definitely create a portfolio of whatever programming or analysis you're interested in. I got some questions on databases, but nothing major, we mainly talked about my experience.

And yes, Excel macros are pretty useful to know for any job that has to do with data, and they're not particularly hard. I just had another job interview this week, and they were interested in my VBA knowledge too even though it was for a different position.

You should demonstrate your competence and your passion. It's nice that you know the syntax of Python or whatever, but what real world problems have you solved with it? How would you organize your data if you were to develop an application? How is your knowledge useful? You should be the one to answer all this, you shouldn't wait for them to ask. Maybe you don't know Excel macros, but you developed this cool web app that scrapes data from APIs into SQL and visualizes it. What really matters is what you can do with your knowledge. You don't have to be a guy who already knows everything, you should be one who can learn the tech they use on the project and applies himself in the real world.
>>
File: 1633580044274.jpg (89 KB, 728x1024)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>86932925
your year sounds like mine anon: constant stress, danger, and bad news with no remit. hope it gets better for us, praying for you
>>
>>86930191
i took the day off for no reaaon turns out hr roastie and boss both took that day off too, i got off without telling anyone haha.
also i found out my supervisor who sucks my boss dick and despite saying how easy X task is and he would get it done in minutes pushed it on me on 7 pm, i sneaked away and took day off he had all day but still didn't do it what a fag, but not just that he didn't make single commit in any of the repo. after all i am the one who did it, hes paid double my salary fuck nepotism
>>
>>86930008
> write solidity smart contracts and full stack apps for shitty nft projects
> make 80k a year

how the fuck do i get on the promised 600k/year for solidity
>>
>>86930191
realized that I'm in a failing project (team lead doesn't care) and it's gonna be unpleasant
>>
>>86934771
>>86934730
>>86934716
tell us more
I've been the guy saying "pr probably today"
>>
>>86937618
Youare paid the same.

At least that is my excuse
>>
File: 1635309969301.jpg (99 KB, 960x953)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>86934771
>I am talking about small stuff that will take 5mins. People either have memory of a fish or they just don't care. I am tired of chasing people around
me too brother. i had to do a tiny tweak on something the other week and i needed like to know 1 line of information to do it so it's like
monday
>hey anon, can you pick up this? should be quick. i'll send you the deets after the call
>ok great
tuesday
>anon, did you do x?
>no you never sent me the thing
>oh ok, great. i'll send it to you ASAP
>*wait 10 mins*
>no details
>ping him message on slack
>no reply
wednesday
>anon, why hasn't x been done yet? it should be really easy
>...you've yet to send me the requisite stuff
>ok you should speak up if you are blocked
>>
>>86937647
I will fart on your coffee cup you son of a bitch
>>
>>86934730
lmao didn't know my senior dev browsed /g/
>>
>>86930352

I feel you man.

I had to dick around with AWS security groups for a while. It is so fucking retarded and complicated.
>>
Me again >>86924606

>Problem
https://leetcode.com/problems/two-sum/

>Java
https://wandbox.org/permlink/OMWCPabpIKqU3DdE
>C#
https://wandbox.org/permlink/CUZXAFJODxBDe3uy
>Python
https://wandbox.org/permlink/uQbsQCn9vMErqB5d
>JS
https://wandbox.org/permlink/j1frJzKK0pqyl4HR

Fuck js
>>
>>86931715
>what the fuck am I supposed to do with these useless fucking degrees
you wanted to be a coder and picked a non-CS degree, you deserve it for trying to take the easy way.
>>
>>86935223
>Sec+ & Network+ is a good start to getting into infosec
what infosec roles in particular? Those certs are just vocabulary brain dump quizzes, even the PBQs don't weigh heavily into your score.
>>
>>86931715
>he forgot to do personal projects during collage
>>
>>86938101
>o(n2)
Thrash
>>
>>86938101
Next

>Problem
https://leetcode.com/problems/roman-to-integer/

>Java
https://wandbox.org/permlink/XDSqKxGt6KHGhyZJ
>C#
https://wandbox.org/permlink/VWlCfDOzuz643e0a
>Python
https://wandbox.org/permlink/hDOMKMZjBhRFq5vc
>JS
https://wandbox.org/permlink/5daoTZxe1VVTioKd

>>86938721
Post your body.
>>
>>86938761
>if elses that can be replaced by switch
Thrash
>>
>>86938411
the college I got my Associate's at didn't have CS as a degree and after I transferred for my Bachelor's I would've had to take another year for CS which would've put me in debt
guess my only option left is certs, I just want a fucking job to get enough money to escape New York
>>86938676
>your personal portfolio of 20+ projects???
>your internships???
>your 10 professional references???
>your 3 years of experience???
>>
>>86939597
>the college I got my Associate's at didn't have CS as a degree
that's your fault for not doing research. do your geneds and transfer to another university that has a CS program, most universities in regions (i.e. new england) have an agreement to guarantee in-state tuition to transfers who didn't have their degree program in-state.
>your personal portfolio of 20+ projects???
>your internships???
>your 10 professional references???
>your 3 years of experience???
internships and 1-2 solid projects are all you need. your fault. have fun at revature.
>>
>finally on a company/team that doesn't do daily standups
I never realized how retarded that shit was. Unless the work is completely trivial who the fuck is going to have an update every 24 hours? If you have a blocker just slack a teammate. it's dumb as fuck waiting for the next standup to announce your blocker. One status update at the end of the week, absolute bliss. My ass is in the gym in the morning instead now.
>>
>>86939726
my first week was horrible with this
>the entire team goes around to say what they're doing
>how are you getting along, anon?
>erm, setting up the project
monday through friday I hadnt written a single line of code
>>
File: 0ms.jpg (120 KB, 1617x623)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>86938101
>can't even get reproducible timings or mem usage
pajeet platform
>>
>>86930191
>on site sysadmin through a consulting firm
>manage two sites, educational institutions
>one of the schools are trying to steal me from my firm
>interview on Wednesday, went well, principal told me I can expect an offer from them soon

Also soon ready to sit the ITIL foundation. Then I'm thinking of doing CCNA. Also started looking at a course for RHCSA but really what are the chances of finding a job where I actually get to work with loonix ;_;

Week went well I guess.
>>
>>86940926
It's entirely random. You can get higher personal bests by just running the same solution over and over.
>>
>>86930191
Busy week of back to back 4 am's to finish a uni project, a parallel Othello player in C with MPI. Lots of fun though.
>>
>>86930191
Got things done. But my story was assigned to a QA tester that has no idea wtf she's doing (indian, external, woman). Bitch kept it under "testing" state for three weeks and is only now doing anything because is now pinging me daily just to try to get the environment set up, which she could ask literally anybody else about. What the fuck
>>
>>86932925
You're like a Odysseus bro, I might not be suffering like you but I am always grateful to men like you and I'm sure your wife is as well.
>>
>>86933812
>>86934336
>>86936633
>>86941151

Thanks dudes.

Yeah I really get scared to drive these days, especially the main road near me for physical therapy appts twice a week honestly. The amount of NY'ers moving to this area in Florida from NYC is nuts, since most of them are crazy bad drivers, especially on these rural roads etc.

I really can't wait to move out, but my wife's parents are figuring out to sell their house and get a duplex in Texas so that they can live near my wife's sister instead.

I was kind of relieved when they told me about this plan since I got married in February of this year, and I just don't have the ability to juggle elder care ontop of all of this right now.

To be fair, my wife's sister's husband for the longest time was being flaky in terms of where we all should settle down, leaving my wife and I to try to figure out next steps for her parents. Taught me that even I hate dealing with in-laws, as much I never thought I'd come to that conclusion.

Honestly dudes, I sometimes break down and cry at times when my wife isn't around.

To be more positive, I think once her parents figure out next steps aka by August or September when they move out of the area, then I can finally pick any area in the US to buy a house in.

Most likely will not be moving near her parents, as evil or mean as that may sound, but I just can't do it man. It was just a preview of what might happen, and I'm just not settled yet both mentally, and in my career.

Looking forward to slamming applications for web dev stuff in October though since my bootcamp is up in January. Honestly, the assignments have been pretty comfy, and the help from instructors has been pretty good.

I know I can make it, but mostly, I just wanted to let you guys know that if you ever debated doing something similar, you can always fit the time even with work etc.

Its just having the right mindset to pace yourself and kick ass to keep going.
>>
File: 1647793300737.gif (2.19 MB, 960x540)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB GIF
>>86930008
I want to work in a place that doesn't do k8s, aws and other magical "cloud" bullshit. Why can't people just be normal.
>>
>>86930357
at least you won't have to endure it all for too long, if you got the right batch.
>>
>>86934336
If I can offer any advice to you, I found my wife on OkCupid, and took her out on a few dates before dating her for a long time.

Depends on your interests too but honestly, this is probably one of the best ways since most people are very online based, and only trashy non-wife material women hang out at bars.

I've learned some years ago that you have to make the first move, and any woman will appreciate that.

I also dated a few women before that too, and RIGHT before I found my wife, I vowed I would never try to look for another woman in NYC ever again since they're all the same, just way too career orientated without any soul whatsoever.

Luckily, my wife is from the midwest so this counterbalances things out.

If you're in a city like NYC, look for out-of-towners in comparison and save yourself the grief.

Hope that helps with that side of things. Also, even if family sucks, at least try to hold onto someone in your family if you can since that helped me, even at my lowest parts when I struggled making absolutely nothing pay-wise month to month since a call home sometimes gave me the motivation to keep going in life.
>>
>>86941819
To be honest dude, had my last job that was totally Docker based etc.

You need to read the job description or at least ask about it next time. I know what you mean though. As cool as containerization is to some extent, troubleshooting stuff that depends on it is another level of hell.
>>
>>86934969
dude.. i'd take your current job over the other any time in the week. just saying. fuck doing shit.
>>
>>86933411
You might get lucky, sure. I'm just giving you the prepared answer in case they ask about the 'employment gap' itself. This is always something you can say in the future, and just wanted to pass this kind of advice onto you man.

I'd say make a website, put your GitHub projects on it, and go from there. I did this when I first got into tech support and management was impressed that I was able to deploy so many things by myself that they assumed I could handle the work even though I didn't even have a degree that was remotely close to it.

Only thing I would like to say is that if you ever do anything similar to tech support, be absolutely sure you want to do it --> Biggest thing imo, make sure you meet the boss and like them as a person.

My very last job back in June to Nov of last year was hell because my boss didn't know jack shit about the product, and was completely clueless in terms of how to manage anyone, let alone help me schedule 1-on-1's to discuss difficult tickets / scenarios.

Read the room effectively bro.
>>
>>86934446
Depends if the dude's got kids or needs the money / food badly. I think anyone in a desperate scenario would do it.

Honestly, the people I know that DID get both jabs are pretty fine. I think its hype and nothing to worry about.
>>
>>86934730
>>86934716
Call him out on it to the boss or supervisor, especially if it EVER gets handed to you.

You've gotta 'manage up'. It sucks, but I've been there. If you don't feel comfortable saying it directly in a meeting with the dude in question being present, tell your boss about it.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (740 KB, 844x586)
740 KB
740 KB PNG
>>86932969
imagine anon having work ethic. You should take advantage of every situation anon. How will you take advantage of it?
>>
>>86935523
>DataDog in pic rel
That platform gives me nightmares. Had to use that at my last job, and its UI hell.

Looks fun for a fucking product manager, absolute hell to figure out what the fuck you need from it half the time.
>>
>>86935766
If you can help it, you should into enabling the given spreadsheet with automation. I forget the exact terms, but you basically have to enable the spreadsheet for VBA, and you're pretty much golden.

However, I tried this at my job three jobs ago and IT said no because "MUH SECURITY" so its a risk.

You could also do some Python scripts against Excel spreadsheets as well as a workaround, just an idea.
>>
>>86941895
I've been doing Docker and K8s for years and this has only reinforced my belief that their designs are unnecessarily complex. All these auxiliary components and configuration just to get a basic application running.

Anout AWS, it's just plain expensive and on the top of it there's also the vendor lock-in. Do these numbers add up compared to other companies and on premise? I doubt and even so that doesn't excuse people from investing in security because "the cloud" doesn't make your data magically safe.
>>
>>86940926
>>86941005
Leet code is in general a joke
>>
>>86942044
If they don't even let you use macros, they will abso fucking lutely not allow you to mess around with Python. But you can usually use VBA, so that's your best bet.
>>
>>86932569
Be careful, at some point they will give you admin rights and expect you to do real work. Not only that, they will consider you "experienced" by that point and will expect you to do more work than the new hire
>>
>>86941873
online dating always seemed so cringe to me, obviously tinder is a no-go but there's no women at my work and idk where else to meet them so maybe I should try it
>>
>>86944410
Why would it be cringe? You open yourself to a whole new pool of people who are much more likely to have things in common with you. It's just sensible.
>>
I am currently doing pentesting but some company wants to hire me to be an IoT product security engineer. If I move into product security how hard is it to move back into pentest consulting?
>>
>>86941819
you don't want to work in a place that does that because they are usually shit, there's a reason Cloud based solutions are the standard now, you don't have to deal with some incompetent retard fucking up the infrastructure.

Also best thread on /g/
>>
>>86943907
>>86942044
Excel, and the rest of MS Office, is just a compressed .xml file. If you really want then in theory you could read the .xml into the browser using JavaScript. That's more effort but there's nothing IT can do about it assuming you have a browser
>>
do most workplaces have you using something like vs or vscode, but with all the compiler, libraries, and other shit you would need to otherwise download connected through a cloud that allows you to do everything on their server through your computer, or do you do everything on your computer and then put everything into the server
>>
>>86935523
>I like the problem solving aspect of it all
Problem-solving in software means you know how to design (plan) the implementation and operation of a program that solves the problem.
>>
>>86945752
You do whatever you want
>>
>>86945836
ok but do most places have the option for what i said
>>
>>86941804
>I really get scared to drive these days
Get a vehicle with higher mass, so when NYCers hit you they get demolished.
>>
>work as security guard
>work up to site manager
>okay salary, but I think I've spent all my upward mobility
How can I meme myself into a tech job bros? I remember trying to study web development years ago and getting bored as fuck. I know people who've had success with coding bootcamps but I don't think I'm disciplined enough to study like that. Is cyber security or IT comfy?
>>
>>86945880
Use tech within the scope of you current job, for instance set up an inventory system or an admin panel for the cctv (or a motion detector using the camera stream).
Leverage what you do now.
>>
>>86945853
Yeah
>>
>>86930008
Got fired from my job like a month ago cuz on accidentally sent a lewd loli picture to the team instead of my group chat, still trying to find an interview
>>
>>86944410
OK Cupid was the best one imo. Tinder is just... not what you want to use for wife material. That's all I'm gonna say. To each his own.

I'd say give it a shot. And if it doesn't do anything, you didn't really lose anything.

To be honest, after a few dates, I really started gaining a ton of confidence.

I know this is over analyzing things, but really treating each of those dates like a conversation that should be focused on really getting to know the other person and vibing should be the main goals honestly.

If you can't hit it off, then what makes you think you'll ever hit it off long term.

Believe me, I've had one relationship where it was all about the sex, but I'll give you the craziest truth, that woman died. Its weird as fuck, but I found out later on a few years after I dated her, and it threw me for a shock.

Even had to call the college she was going to since she was JUST about to finish her degree. I was so disappointed.

I get the sense that she killed herself, but I can't really tell honestly. That girl had problems though and some serious Dad issues.

Life is weird man.
>>
>>86945880
IT etc is comfy sure, but bootcamps are a meme and best avoided
>>
>>86945856
Not a bad idea bro.

No lie, I was thinking to get a van for the future kids anyway, so this might be a great idea honestly.

You know what's funny though. Its always black dudes in racing cars that pull crazy shit, or the random woman in some fucking SUV doing all of the bad decisions in terms of driving near me.

Great point about the size of the car. Time to get rid of the sedan shitbox in that case.
>>
>>86945880
I'm doing a web dev bootcamp right now. Honestly, if you pace yourself and find one that goes for 40 weeks part-time, you can pull it off. However, if you do it for shorter times, you need to have money saved and a complete sigma alpha mindset because they can only help you so much as much as you need to help yourself learn the material.

I personally am glad that I took the 40 week route.
>>
>>86945971
i live in the uk and i'm increasingly getting more and more anxious about the roads. the number of cars seems to be ever increasing and the number people doing retarded shit is pegged to that. i was driving my mother somewhere the other week through some small town roads at like 20-30mph and this car came flying out of a junction without stopping and almost t-boned me
i got a shitty audi a3 because it's very economical but it'd probably crumple like a can in a wreck
i'm thinking of getting a giant lump of metal too though i'm thinking like a giant pickup or a jeep or something
>>
>>86946028
Good idea Anon. Honestly, I'm grateful for whatever Anon woke me the fuck up to stop buying sedans. I'd rather be in the bigger car than deal with that bullshit.

Truck sounds good, van too. I'm not sure about SUV's personally since I see flipping videos all the time. Having driven one as a rental recently, they're super fucking fast for how medium weight they are, so common sense tells me that this is probably why they're prone to flipping, etc.

Either way, I feel for you Anon. I had some crazy shit happen to my wife's family this year, so keep your mother close to you bro. You're being a good son by looking out for her, man.
>>
File: 1475683558077.jpg (83 KB, 715x720)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Is there any point trying to get a tech job as a 30 year old permaNEET or is it merely a fruitless endeavor at this point? And yes, as per the OP you may laugh.
>>
>>86946040
yeah i've seen a few vids of people working on old range rovers or old cherokees and they look like are designed to fail immediately as they roll out of the dealership. i like them for the practically and the visibility though like it's harder for someone to drive into you if you are in a giant box
trucks seem to be really expensive here relative to cars though but i guess it's worth it.
>>
>>86946073
An old van is bulky too. Personally, I'm looking for old school conversion vans (No, not the fucking trust funder $100k+ vans). Just the old 90's GMC Safari type vans with the elevated roofs.

If I could find one fixed man, I'd be a happy man. Those things run forever dude like a fucking Toyota.
>>
>>86946044
I'm not gonna laugh at you bro. Depends on your situation. If you've decided "What" you want to do in life, then I'd say take steps towards it, and map it out. Write down your goals, and see what's available in your area.

Do the math too in terms of expenses. If you don't have the degree required, either bullshit it with an online degree, or if its a dev route, try a bootcamp that doesn't pay until after you get the job.

Whatever you do though, try not to land in tech support. Though I paid off my student loans with my last job in literally 6 months of working there, I also feel chained to this fucking line of work. All I ever get is hit up by recruiters on LinkedIn for more of the same.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is if you can beeline it to whatever your dream is, do it. Otherwise, its a long hill to climb if you have to work along the way.

t. burned out tech support dude who does a web dev bootcamp on the side
>>
>>86946044
I started programming at 36 (training paid by job center), got my first job at 37 (like a few days after I ended my training), been working there for a couple of years now.

I plan quitting for something else (I get offers) but I want to learn a bit more so I give it a few months before I do (a colleague left, I ended up getting like 15 projects in old languages I don't know).
>>
>>86946104
>Depends on your situation. If you've decided "What" you want to do in life, then I'd say take steps towards it, and map it out. Write down your goals, and see what's available in your area.
I guess this would be the first thing to give me pause, since I don't think I even really understand that "what". I'm pretty sure I've used the same thought process some dumb 18 year does when they decide on a college major (haha I like computer and know a little about it, so I work computer and make money) except instead of being motivated by the prospect of a 300K salary when you're 26 or whatever I'm motivated by the dread of being 40 and broke. So right now it's just sort of a vague idea.
>If you don't have the degree required, either bullshit it with an online degree, or if its a dev route, try a bootcamp that doesn't pay until after you get the job.
If degrees are gonna be necessary I'll have to factor that in, since all I've got is a 7 year old degree in an unrelated STEM field and I doubt it's worth much now.
>Whatever you do though, try not to land in tech support
Duly noted
Well, if nothing else I'm not discouraged from it yet but I'm definitely going to need to put more thought into it.

>>86946122
That's encouraging. Were you starting from nothing or did you already have a background?
>>
>>86930357
a portfolio prevents this from happening
>>
>>86946164
I started from nothing. Sure I did know how to use a computer, but 0 notion of programming of any kind.
>>
>>86946179
Well there's a little hope, then.
>>
>>86930008
Can we share pajeet stories?

The one on my team just got fired. I hope he gets deported. It took him 3 hours to write one line of SQL.
>>
I bought an ASUS Zephyrus laptop awhile ago. I know, but it was on sale and I wasn't really into computers. I just wanted something that ran and could play CSGO. I want to completely wipe it and re-install Windows 11. There's just too much bloatware and I can't seem to get rid of it. I want a fresh install for when my new ram arrives, and when I start a cybersecurity program in September. What's the best way to keep some files? I have some movies and documents I'd like to keep. Is there also some sort of guide on what I'll need to download again, like which drivers?
>>
>>86946342
Woops, this was meant for /sqt/. Discard.
>>
>>86946313
>It took him 3 hours to write one line of SQL
How? I don't doubt you, but what was the process?
Did he just sit there pressing buttons for 3 hours?
>>
>>86946313
The senior data scientist lady pajeet at my old company couldn't properly use excel. The company did nothing to replace her of course.
>>
>>86946235
I work very hard. Be prepared to work hard.
>>
>>86935815
You probably get a get a junior cybersec analyst role with Sec+ Net+ certs, cloud certs (azure/AWS) and help desk experience.

I’d also advise you study the NIST framework like it’s the bible.
>>
>>86946386
I would give him an assignment to add a column into the data and he might get back to me half a day later.

>>86946388
This is a good one. More please.
>>
>>86945752
Use VIM
>>
>>86938840
>clutters are the place with 'breaks'.
>>
I wanted to learn C++ because it seemed like a cool language, but I ended up learning JS + React because there were more jobs available in webdev.
Every day I dread my work, webdev is such a boring and unfulfilling career, but I need money, and I have no better options.
Misery.
>>
>>86940926
Looks ugly as hell, god I hate rust.
>>
>>86941948
Thanks, I don't know how I would be able to lie (or not to lie) in my circumstance. But definitely I can show shit that I have done on github, hope that's a plus.
>>
>>86946391
Better than not working at this point
What do you do?
>>
>>86935523
If you don't have at least an MSc in STEM, any 'modeling' you will do will just be plugging data into a pre-made from some python library and you'll have no idea what you're doing. You will be doing meaningless work.
>>
I got a job as a frontend junior.
For now I only signed the NDA and supposedly get paid 25 AUD/16€ the hour.
Still better than nothing and I will probably ask them to pay me in crypto.
The experience I can use to find a better paying job in Germany perhaps and finally move out of this shithole before putin drops the A-Bomb like it deserves.
>>
>>86944515
I was rised in a time when the internet was a no-no place where to put your pictures for everybody to see, and I cannot shake that view. Also I'd feel silly if someone I knew found out. As if I could not sink lower.
>>
it's sunday
time to work all day
>>
>>86945880
We are full.
>>
>>86946569
Does the German tech world actually pay better than the Aus tech word? (assuming you are Aussie because you used AUD). I thought pay was pretty low everywhere in the west other than America?
>>
>>86946175
Anons who work in HR say it doesn't matter because you can fake it.
>>
>>86946605
It is low. I live in germany.
I want to leave and this aussie dude has started to give me hope.

I hope he likes a passionate romantic as a coworker, because I really feel indebted to him for making this possible lol.
>>
>>86946667
If you stay in front end for a while I know Palantir has an Office in Zurich (I’m not sure if they still have a office in Germany). From what I’ve heard Palantir is a cool place to work (great benefits for employees) and they have offices all over the world (so you could probably transfer to a role in Australia, America, Abu Dhabi etc. if you got a job there).
Although you will really need to git gud… Palantir looks to hire the best they can find.
>>
>>86946712
Hopefully. I really want to leave this shithole lmao.
With or without a degree
>>
>>86946566
That's what I thought, and I wouldn't be against getting more degrees down the line, but it's a big time commitment.

I'd like to think that you don't have to get a CS degree to understand how the premade algorithms work though, there are so many books and courses on the topic.

I've heard the CS equivalent degree in my country doesn't even really contain statistics, so it wouldn't even be completely relevant to data science. Also, I have the notion that it's better to get a degree that deals with the theoretical side of this kind of work, as it's easy to learn the practical aspects of coding, dealing with databases, etc. without a classroom, but harder to get inspired and get feedback for when you're working through a math book alone. Some don't even have answer keys.

Going to college again would also mean learning a bunch of stuff I won't need inevitably. I'm not against this per se, and I enjoy learning for its own sake, and even if I don't use some topic it could still give me a broader perspective of things than if I never learned about it. But this is the point that makes me feel like I could just maybe get away with picking and choosing the topics I cram into my head on my own, and in the end still make it to a place where I can maybe make something new
>>
>>86946642
the implication is that a portfolio normally provides access to the source code of your projects, which a company may then assess
>>
>>86946712
Do you need any specific degree to work for them? Do they hire self-made chads like myself?
>>
>>86946823
I know, but I don't work for human resources, that's what some anons say. If you can fake it, then it is without merits.
>>
File: 2022-05-15_2111.png (117 KB, 701x674)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
What the fuck do I wear to work? Got my first job at local council and when I went to my second interview I notice a lot of people are suited up and wearing gay leather shoes. That's not going to fly with me. I was thinking of just going with a Louis Rossmann approach and got some polo shirts. I guess it's "business casual" or whatever. I'm from a poorfag background, self educated, etc. Basically I'm nigger tier but I'm a sperg about playing ctfs and computer shit so I landed the job.

Basically, can I turn up wearing a hoodie as long as I have a collar on my shirt and wear nice pants? Also with the pants, I notice many men look like homosexuals and are wearing tight pants. What's up with that? Even some of the people in my team had cropped pants and gay socks. How do you dress at work anon? Please help me out, I am not a metrosexual.
>inb4 ask effay
I'm a sperg not an autistic mess
>>
>>86930191
Every day is soo fucking stressful @ MSP

8 hours (+ calls after work) of apologizing for the dogshit software we peddle for our vendor overlords
>>
>>86946937
>Shirt and jeans
>t shirt and jeans
That’s it
>>
File: 016.png (69 KB, 714x574)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>86930191
Job hunting. Got some interests from linkedIn despite my 2 years employment gap. I sperged out and sent the recruiter my first draft resume.

Gonna have to contact them this Monday.
>>
>>86946858
ahh, i see
yeah, i won't argue against that lol
>>
>Get first internship
>Surrounded by faggots and trannies
>Talking to other roastie intern
>Probe her for based levels by saying I'm gonna pop out for a fag
>Corrects me sayings it's cigarette now
>Realised it probably wasn't a good idea since she's wearing rainbow fag band on her keycard
>Next day cautioned by HR

Fuck fags fuck trannies
>>
File: 1641346564639.png (193 KB, 398x376)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
I recently got a job as a Jr. level front-end developer, and it feels like 99% of the actual work I do revolves around calling an API, and displaying the data in a user-friendly manner with HTML/CSS.
This is boring. When does it become "fun"?
Should I just enjoy the easy work until I eventuall move to mid/senior level roles?
Should I switch over to full-stack? Or back-end work?
I really do not enjoy front-end web development.
>>
>>86947054
backend is even more boring
you'll be calling the database to get the data and send it to the frontend and that's it
>>
>>86946987
Seems reasonable. I kinda dress like a sperg though, I wear the openbsd shirts and shit like that. Cargo pants, etc.
Just as long as I wear plain colors and get some shoes that are a popular brand I will be fine right? I only had one outfit for the interview, I bought a plain olive-ish button up shirt and some slacks. I felt so uncomfortable and weird wearing that.
>>
>>86947054
Worthless talenless maggot
>>
>>86947086
I used to code shaders in OpenGL with C++ and eventually became bored with having no job. Most programming is useless. Now I'm getting paid a decent salary for relatively easy work. What's the issue?

>>86947070
Oh well. I can tolerate the work for now. Thanks for the insight.
>>
>>86945955
Lol
>>
File: 1647068969564.jpg (90 KB, 828x944)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>86930008
I am a neet who's spent the past few months learning unity/c#.
There's little to no gamdev jobs in my cunt so i'd have to try and get a web dev job.
But would i be able to get a webdev job with no degree? Am I aiming out of my league? Unity feels like babby programming. What are some small webdev projects i could make for a portfolio (if that matters)?
>>
>>86947272
you don't need a degree for webdev
>>>/wdg/
>>
File: 1652072282520.png (2.46 MB, 1080x1056)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB PNG
>>86946313
i got 2 pajeet stories
last year i was job hopping and had an interview with what seemed like a chill setup and chatted with the cto and got on with him. the next step of the interview was a tech test with this indian guy who was a "wizard" and he was going to grill me on random js questions. the only problem was i could barely understand a word he was saying like
>please for me could describing how we use async in javascript
slightly embarrassing having to ask this poor dude to repeat the question 3 times because his accent was so thick. and to then get asked as a question in a senior dev interview about async and promises made me facepalm and want to eject from the interview process. not to mention half of the tech team was based in india as well..
the other pajeet story is this guy rajesh joined the company and signed his contract, had his induction and greeted by everyone and appeared in a few stand ups at the start of his week and got sent a brand new macbook pro. by the end of the week, he had quit and handed in his notice because he got a slightly better contract offer somewhere else
>>
>>86947934
based rajesh

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.