[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Sheet music.jpg (167 KB, 632x502)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
programing and music composition are essentially the exact same thing where in the code tells the computer what to do just like the sheet music tells the instrument.
what stops the musician from learning to code or vise versa?
>>
>>85228608
>programing and music composition are essentially the exact same thing
it's literally not, you're an idiot. have you ever composed anything of worth? do you even understand what it takes?
>>
>>85228608
>what stops the musician from learning to code or vise versa?
The big difference is that music is the language of the soul and programmers only create piles of bugs.
>>
>>85228625
it takes an understanding of trying to quantify a feeling into a physical form
>>
>>85228608
How do I write functions to loop and automate entire parts of my score in sheet music?
>>
>>85228660
you've never composed anything of value. come back to us when you composed something the likes of bach or rachmaninov. you can't and won't. die a virgin
>>
>>85228625
>>85228657
>>85228660
>>85228674

Literal fucking brainlet takes. Learn some goddamn music theory. The fact that you can mathematically arrange all notes and create reliable structures of chord progressions and scales proves that music is the first programming language!
>>
>>85228674
segno and coda
>>
>>85228701
WOW AWESOME, anyway i await you pasting your compositions, paste the link to them. can't wait to laugh
>>
>>85228693
yeah so. smoke on the water is still fun
>>
>>85228608
nothing
back in the day you could be a composer and programmer at the exact same time
https://youtube.com/watch?v=DiPdjbsiQqM
>>
programming is retarded and doesn't even compare to composing. programmers would love to think they are in the same realm as composers, but they aren't. they are just bugs repeating the same garbage over and over. if you think programming is the same as composing then show us your compositions. oh, you won't? that's what i thought.
>>
>>85228674
There are literally symbols to repeat sections and jump to other ones.
>>
>>85228738
>pastes link of a guy talking and never showing or playing any compositions
lmao
>>
File: man fuck you.png (293 KB, 392x464)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
>>85228608
>he doesn't use ER diagrams to craft his beautiful compositions
>>
the difference is that nobody ever got there dick sucked for being able to code smoke on the water.mp3
>>
>>85228701

Autist can't understand ineffable/sublime qualities of music that machines can't produce (yet)
>>
>>85228751
Goto and labels?
Sounds fucking terrible.
>>
File: shuffle.webm (2.24 MB, 912x1060)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB WEBM
>>85228715
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik
>>
Music theory and computer science are both rooted in mathematics, but that's about where the similarities end. If anything, it just shows how broad of a field mathematics is. A musician certainly can become a programmer, or vice versa (as someone who grew up playing guitar as a teen, and now is pursuing a PhD in computer science, I can attest to this), but that doesn't mean your knowledge of one skill is going to translate strongly to the other.
>>
my argument is that the underlying skill is pattern recognition and the difference is only output.
>>
>>85228819
oops forgot the link
>>85228857
>>
>>85228819
music theory isn't rooted in mathematics
>>
>>85228812
who is this semen demon?
>>
>>85228865
what are fractions again?
>>
>>85228857

That output is a huge fucking difference, dude.
>>
>>85228701
the only thing that still uses music theory for complete compositions are either nerds who pretend to be japanese making video game music for their shitty indie games or industry faggots who create earworms like the garbage you hear overplayed on billboards like k poop or jpoop. everything else you use music theory to breakdown other people's creations giving written meaning what is being played in sections of the song. if you actually want to start mixing programming with music start learning about making dynamic music. its so underrated only a few people bother with it and even less people notice it when its done properly.
https://youtu.be/-2PhpyZBjao
https://youtu.be/UpoOsaTwH44
>>
>>85228788
I bet that dude who made the Fade To Black gif got laid a lot
>>
>>85228907
yes
>>
>>85228608
>MIDI and music sheets are essentially the exact same thing
ftfy
>>
>>85228943
>midi will never sound like rea people playing instruments
FTFY
>>
>>85228608
Time.
>>
>>85228608
interpretation is a thing anon
>>
Feels good to be shit at both
>>
>>85228608
This is some Commie tier logic.
>>
>>85228701
Post your music
>>
is music turing complete?
is a self-modifying score possible?
>>
>>85228608
Nothing, I program and make music. Just one thing has NOTHING to do with the other
>inb4 muh musik theory & mafs
Go fuck yourself, no musician ever took a pen and paper out and started writing formulas to get the perfect progression, and if you did, you're a retard and your music sucks
>>
>>85229361
you just dont know the syntax.
lots of musicians can hear the music in their heads and then write it down.
>>
>>85229603
And what exactly does that have to do with programming you retarded cocksucker?
>>
>tfw time deaf and can't appreciate music
>>
>>85228865
It literally is you retard.
>>
>>85228911
>seething at the mere mention of music theory
>linking gutter trash that is worse than what he is making fun of
Pitiful, but hey, music composition is not for everyone. There are other things you can do even if you are low IQ, just believe in yourself!
>>
>>85229038
MIDI is just a file format. You can always convert it to music sheets and get "real people" to play it.
>>
>>85228608
I take it you know how to program? Let's see you write a classical music score. Basically the same thing. Go ahead.
>>
>>85229665
>time deaf
what?
>>
>>85230052
I assume he can't appreciate rhythm/tempo/etc., think like tone deaf but for timing rather than pitch
>>
>>85230113
i can understand being tone deaf but not being able to understand tempo is unheard of. basically like saying you cant count at a steady rate.
>>
>>85230161
I mean I've never heard of it before but I don't see why it couldn't happen. Tone deaf baffles me but I still accept that it exists
>>
>>85230052
>>85230113
>>85230161
he's shitposting. humans have evolved with a very intuitive sense of rhythm
>>
>>85230174
humans have evolved with various senses, doesn't mean some people aren't broken
some people can't see, some people can't smell, some people can't taste, etc
there's countless mental issues, i wouldn't doubt there being people who have trouble appreciating regularly timed patterns
>>
>>85230198
I had a dream that our sense of sight and pattern recognition evolved to spot snakes. It was like I was flashing through a bunch of lifetimes in various time periods and places and the patterns of the snakes scales would pop-out against a similar looking backdrop of rock/foliage/etc. and then I felt a sense of knowing that this is one of the reasons our eyesight and pattern recognition are as good as they are.
>>
>>85230221
...and then I looked it up and it is a real theory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_detection_theory
I have no interest in biology and I don't watch anything on TV that would have led me to that conclusion or to even think about stuff like this.
I think everything is going to be ok, my dude. The source always exists and we are part of the source. I was lucky to get a glimpse of it.

Uh.

I'm on a computer all day for work, so I don't feel like sitting at a computer to make music at home, but hardware is such a pain in the ass...
Does the Polyend Tracker feel like a computer?
It seems like it would be fun, but not really worth it because you could get a cheap laptop and run a tracker on that for much less and the laptop would have more features available (although more features doesn't always mean better -- paradox of choice and all that jazz).
>>
>>85230221
it's things like that which account for details such as men's eyesight/visual processing being more sensitive to movement than women's
how we process depth information is different as well (which is related to how more women have trouble with vr headsets than men, headsets only solve the issue of stereoscopy, while women favour other depth cues such as lighting)
>>
>>85229988
Okay, let me train this neural network real quick.
>>
>>85230505
That's not how that works. A musician would have to throw musical theory and associated topics out the window and learn how to computer while you just get to throw some Bach at a NN you made over the weekend. Write the piece yourself
>>
>>85228807
Modern languages are the same just with different terms for those things
>>
>>85228608
>vise versa
>>
>>85228608
t. beginner who hasn’t produced anything in both domains for more than five years
>>
>>85228865
You also don’t need music theory to make high quality songs. Anything else is midwit cope by beginners who think they are smart now because they got into classical music.
>>
>>85228674
You can actually write words in music scores, the contemporary retards even write words for the pianist to shout out at times
Thus music notation is turing complete because you can just use regular human language in it
>>
>>85228608
FYI the first automated "computers" were music playing machines.
>>
>>85228740
programming is harder than non classical compositions though
>>
>>85228693
>comparing rachmaninov to bach
nigger
>>
>>85228740
composing is retarded and doesn't even compare to programming . composers would love to think they are in the same realm as programmers, but they aren't. they are just bugs repeating the same garbage over and over. if you think composing is the same as programming then show us your programs. oh, you won't? that's what i thought.
>>
>>85232381
no one did this, retard
>>
notice that the anons in this thread that think that composing is just like programming can't paste links to their compositions. just notice this. they never will, this is how you call them out on their bullshit
>>
>>85228660
based and truepilled
> b-b-b-b-b-but it needs to be hard to play o-o-o-o-o-otherwise-
shut the fuck up
>>
>>85233538
I would write a composition right now but I can't figure out musescore
>>
Music is my passion but I’ve also become fascinated with computer science in the last few months since I started my crypto deep dive.
Could someone point me in the right direction where I can start learning code applicable to creativity or more generally practical things like software engineering? Any advice is appreciated, I want to change my life.
>>
>>85234222
https://common-lisp.net/
>>
>>85234222
see >>85234252, it’s good advice
but also go fuck yourself
>>
>>85233749
>i'd compose by some dumb excuse
>i n-n-need software to write music
no you don't, retard. you can write music on literal paper. you're an absolute fucking idiot
>>
>>85234252
>>85234264
Thank you
>>
>>85234320
that's what you think but I don't know how to map sounds in my brain to notes yet and I have no instrument to test my music on. plus I'm a zoomer so I need instant feedback
>>
>>85234348
>but I don't know how to map sounds in my brain to notes yet
yeah, that's called not being a composer. composers have the music in their head and can put it down on paper, they don't need instruments. a lot of composers can't even play instruments very well. this is how dumb you are
>>
>>85234627
you need to know the sound of the instrument you're writing for unless you have perfect pitch, retard.
>>
>>85234636
you will never compose anything of worth and you don't know anything about music. that's pretty much the end of the argument.
>>
>>85234669
you are mentally retarded and probably think vidya music is of a high quality.
>>
>>85234681
>you are mentally retarded
oh please tell me how in detail
>vidya music
no idea what this is
>>
>>85234694
>oh please tell me how in detail
>composers have the music in their head and can put it down on paper
you clearly have no idea how any of this works or you've been doing it for so long you forgot the learning process. If you don't have perfect pitch and or knowledge of an instrument you will not be writing music like this

>no idea what this is
touch grass.
>>
>>85234681
>chrono trigger
>>
>>85234726
>incidental music
>>
>>85228701
found soulless textbook/theory player
>>
>>85228819
Finally someone who makes sense in the thread
>>
>>85234742
found the videogame OST "composer"
>>
>>85234710
>will never post any compositions
you /g/ know nothing do nothing fags will never be composers. keep talking about video games, that's all you'll ever talk about you low effort nobody
>>
>>85236478
touch grass and meds
>>
>>85228891
not math, but arithmetic
>>
>>85236495
YWNBAC
>>
>>85236542
YWNBAW
>>
>>85228608
I write music and I like to believe I'm decent at it
I can only program shitty scripts in python
>>
Learning music requires a lot more repetition of the exact. Same. Thing. Over and over and over.

You don't learn to program by writing the same program 50 times in a row.

This is why programming is more fun, although music is cool too.
>>
>>85228608
>not knowing about Demoscene
>>
>>85234710
>perfect pitch
oh? can you identify 7282.976623Hz?
>>
>write music
>dance architecture
fucking nonsense, this thread
>>
>>85228608
since i am absolutely shit at music any AI analyzing popular songs and making a new one out of them would do better than me. Literally even something lightweight that can run on a pentium.
I tried to make a few songs, recorded fart noises, random vocal chops, used some fancy waveform functions and it absolute sounded like shit
>>
>>85236635
this
>>
Lol no it totally depends on what you're writing. Sure if you write some faggy virgin autist loser electronic music ( not implying all electronic music is bad, but a lot of it is written by losers), sure it's essentially like programming.
My dad was in a psychedelic rock band, and he would constantly smoke weed, do lsd , get drunk etc.
A lot of songs came to his head while coming off his drug highs or doing random shit with his guitar while coming down.
Now sure, i've written a lot of code on lsd and pcp ( probably the reason why it's so bug ridden lol), but it's just not the same thing, totally different vibe, it just feels tedious. A lot of music can be written just by "letting yoruself guide by the vibe", but of course, tedious 4chan autists who need mountains of tediously specified rules won't understand this thought process
>>
>>85228608
This thread is dumb as hell. Is the rest of g as dumb as this? Is it just that I don't know enough about programming to see how full of shit the posters are?
>>
>>85228608
sheet music tells the musician what to do, not the instrument, and there's significantly more ambiguity than you might think because of that. tempo markings are usually subjective descriptions rather than a specific number of beats per minute, and dynamic markings are always subjective. it's more like human language than it is like programming.
>>85234710
>>85234636
perfect pitch doesn't have anything to do with it. you need to understand the sound of the instrument you're writing for, period. pitch isn't the only characteristic of sound and people without perfect pitch still are typically capable of perceiving relative pitch, so they just need one known pitch to get their bearings.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.