[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: N A I C.png (96 KB, 261x331)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIClssVcVoo
Discuss.
>>
I don't understand the outrage. His 1 month experiment perfectly encapsulated the normalfag experience with Linux and is, therefore, good criticism if distro makers want Linux to stop being 1% of the desktop market.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3.89 MB, 1920x1080)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB PNG
>>85222352
wtf is he saying. not even the captions can understand this faggot
>>
File: durga.jpg (144 KB, 1280x720)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>85222352
>gIClssVcVoo
sounds like Durga Sir making a OpenGL tutorial
>>
>>85222397
stfu, I don't want normies on linux, especially not normies who come from this linus retard tips
>>
>>85222397
freetards cannot accept the retardation of their desktop
>>
>>85222397
freetards will never let go of their "works for me" and "all criticism is FUD" mentalities. it's been that way since forever
>>
reminder to sage and hide youtube shill threads
>>
Linux DOESN'T need to be like Windows and MacOS, period.
>>
>>85222551
this is the real problem. all these retards expect it to be like windows, its not. fuck off.
>>
File: linuspression.jpg (180 KB, 720x720)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>85222352
Installing Steam on _Poop_OS_!_
>>
File: 1606151356842.png (149 KB, 422x357)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>85222646
>Yes, do as I say!
>>
>>85222352
I don't argue that Linux is shit but Windows 11 is even worse and since Windows 10 is deprecated I'm seriously consider Fedora GNU/Linux + GNOME for my shitboxes.
>>
>>85222485
good criticism isn't FUD
criticism of systemd isn't FUD
criticism of traditional package management isn't FUD (but anyone who says flatpaks/snaps/appimages are solution deserve to be stabbed in the face multiple times)
criticism of ext4 isn't FUD
criticism of the absolute state of hardware accelerated video in web browsers isn't FUD
criticism of X being insecure isn't FUD

But, criticism of manjaro not using apt is fucking retard. Copying instructions from a website like a robot and runnning
yes apt install obs-studio
when the previous line fails, and calling it an infinite dependency loop is retarded. Not being able to save files from github is retarded.
>>
>>85222862
>the only good criticism is criticism I agree with

do you listen to yourself?
>>
>>85222919
>the only criticism he considers valid is the only criticism he considers valid
do you hear yourself, idiot?
I still use all the software I listed for other reasons, but there are valid, good criticisms of that software.
>>
>>85222919
>>85223198
I find women with large tits beautiful, and I find wome with small tits ugly. Therefore, I'm going to call big titted women beautiful, and small titted women ugly.
Do you understand this analogy? If I don't find some criticism valid, then it isn't good criticism as far as I am concerned. Your brain works the same way too, btw, unless you are retarded somehow.
>>
>>85222352
>Discuss
no
>>
Why doesn't linux just make things retard proof?
>>
>>85222485
microshills will start screaming FUD when posts about TPM and the new pluton are being proven to be spyware chips
>inb4 n-no U
>>
>>85223335
gestaþolod
>>
LMAO how does this retard have so many subscriber

All those "fails" are not linux's fault, if game dev's, adobekike and hardware manufactures don't want to support linux, it's them who failed
>>
>>85222397
>if distro makers want Linux to stop being 1% of the desktop market
That's the thing. NOBODY WANTS THAT...
>>
>>85222352
i blame GNOME
>>
>>85223514
Good
>>
>>85222352
All of his points are actually valid because that is what a normie will have to deal with if they want to use Linux full time.

You can be fully retarded and still be able to use Windows, but tell them that they need to enter some commands into the commandline in Linux and their brains will implode.
>>
>>85222352
Well he has me convinced, I'm going back to Windows.
>>
>>85222352
reminder that he signed the anti stallman letter
>>
>>85222397
Honestly this. If you want your product to succeed it has to be idiotproof
>>
>>85223574
You might as well say it's what dogs will have to deal with if they want to use Linux full time, they're not relevant...
>>
>>85222352
>encounters problem
>doesn't search for how to solve the problem and just throws his hands up and yells IT'S UNACCEPTABLE THAT I ENCOUNTER A PROBLEM THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SOLVE
goddamn linus is such an insufferable dunning-kruger, his face still pisses me off.
>>
>>85222352
ecelebs are not technology
>>
>>85223488
>ubuntu, mint, manjaro etc try to be more windows-like and retard-proof because they don't want to become mainstream
ok retard
>>
>>85223669
Linux is already succeeding. Growing its marketshare and attracting room temperature IQ normies to the platform would only make it less successful.
>>
>>85223739
How do how any of those distros "try to be more like Windows"? Please, be specific...
>>
>>85222352
Someone please post his racist, racial tweet. I would but on toilet
>>
>>85223825
Wait what?
>>
>nooo simple tasks are supposed to be annoying to do! It's the users fault for expecting the software to work out of the box!
>>
>>85222352
linux is a kernel
the freedesktop+linux operating system is flawed, yes.
>>
>>85223851
Jim telling people to not have white babies and interracial babies are more cute than pure
>>
>>85223814
>how do these "it just werks lol" bloated distros try to be more like windows, a "it just werks lol" bloated ̶O̶S̶ spyware
geee idk
>>
File: 1634209587303.png (568 KB, 943x943)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
>>85223825
>>85223851
>>85223880
>>
>>85223891
>>
>>85222352
distrowatch has ok interface expect ads but you should use adblock anyways it provides basic info what id the problem
>>
>>85223900
wat
>>
>>85222352
>the video starts
>a 1 minute sponsor message follows
Yeah, fuck this shit.
>>
>>85223918
sponsorblock
>>
>>85223891
>>85223900
Disgusting
>>
>>85223886
>idk
Obviously...
>>
>>85223918
>there are people on /g/ that don't have enough sense to use even the most basic of content blockers
>>
>>85222352
Only 1 reason needed
It's a server OS
>>
>>85222352
>1. apps
Yeah, there's no way Gimp can replace Photoshop at all.
Perhaps OnlyOffice can replace MSOffice for normal users, but retards keep pushing LibreFuglyOffice as if it's not complete and utter garbage.
Even then, most people won't switch just because of industry standards.

>2. games
It seems it will get there, but it's not there yet.

>3. hardware availability
People will ship Linux on laptops when Linux is good enough for any niche.
For instance, something like the Chromebook.

>4. choice
Mint Cinnamon. Simple as.
>>
File: 1641675612331.jpg (46 KB, 539x522)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>85222352
>4 areas where LINUS still FAILS compared to other men

HAVING A HUMAN WIFE
HAVING NORMAL WHITE KIDS
BEING RELEVANT IN TECH WORLD
BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY ANYONE WITH HIGHER EDUCATION
>>
Stop shilling these ads filled videos made by a retard
>>
>LTT shits out video shitting on Linux and why it's still not ready for widespread adoption and gets gorillion views
>Linux fags everywhere come out of the woodwork and start shitting videos agreeing trying to rack up view dosh
You fucking disingenuous faggots, people everywhere have been complaining about this shit for years if not decades, only to find themselves covered with "uhm ackshully loonix is fine as it is maybe it's a you problem?? works for me :)" every time they raise some kind of issue no matter the severity.
I hope now we can actually move towards having a decent Linux desktop and Windows can suck my dick for once.
>>
>>85223719
and he did, the actual solution was not using Pop OS faggot
>>
>>85224047
>implying anyone cares about college fags

>>85224101
Yeah. I still remember some dumbass saying it was a good thing that Linux applications were forced to use the library versions shipped by the distro instead of being able to choose, and that if they broke "iT's THe DevELOper'S faULt".
Then, I few years later, Flatpaks are all the rage.
>>
>The Linux Experiment
I don't have to listen to anyone who signed the petition to fire Stallman.
>>
>>85223968
don't know who you think you're convincing here but it sure as hell isn't me or anyone with a working brain
plenty of distros want the windows crowd to move in, period
>>
File: 1625467450372.png (150 KB, 242x353)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>85224377
>>
>>85223647
Jokes in him, I'm already on windows.
>>
>>85223814
Distros like Mint, Manjaro, Zorin, etc have Cinnamon or XFCE layouts akin to what Windows is known for. Start menu, bottom panel, desktop with icons. They're also designed to be user friendly, work out of the box, and be easy to maintain. You generally won't fuck these distros up unless you get reckless in the command line which you might not even need to begin with.
>>
>>85224042
>Mint Cinnamon
Based
>>
>>85225087
so what? you know why they're that way? because it's the most basic and intuitive design there is...
>>
>>85222352
1. Lack of niche software like Photoshop (no, tinkering with WINE doesn't count, and GIMP is largely incompatible with people's pre-existing project files)
2. Gaming outside of a small subset of games that Valve tries to make work on Linux
3. Hardware that ship Linux distros pre-installed
4. Choosing a distro is hard for newcomers, and popular tools like distro-chooser do not help and make the community seem clueless on recommendations.
>>
>>85222352
Today I had to copy files from an usb flash drive to windows and windows explorer froze when trying to open a folder on the usb. Later I got a popup that "Microsoft Windows" is not responding and then the entire gui crashed/restarted.
Is this the power of windows?
>>
>>85223488
cope
>>
>>85222446

>linux is my secret computer club where i can jack off to lolis in private
>>
>>85224042
>but retards keep pushing LibreFuglyOffice as if it's not complete and utter garbage

What exactly is garbage about it?
I'm convinced that if you sat normies in front of LibreOffice on a Linux Mint with the little corner switched to the Windows logo and a Windwos background 80% wouldn't even notice they are not using MS Office.
>>
>>85225397
>Hardware that ship Linux distros pre-installed
?
Hardware that ships Linux preinstalled often can't boot anything other than Linux.
>>
>>85222352
>has managed to make 5 fucking videos milking rage from neet linux devs
based
>>
>>85222352
This dude has some nice juicy tits.
>>
>>85223488
Every reasonable person wants it, you basement dwelling retard. Every reasonable person wants an alternative to spy-OS, a healthy competition. But you don't care of that, because you want to be left alone with your toys. Good thing is, people in charge don't care about you. There is enough demand outside of USA to push for mass adoption of Linux desktop for security concerns alone, so it will happen one day. And not on your terms.
>>
>>85226213
His criticism was a lack of hardware that already ships Linux. Normies buying computers at brick and mortar stores do not see any Linux laptops, and most of these normies will not be too thrilled to manually install a new OS when they have one already.
>>
>>85226213
>Hardware that ships Linux preinstalled often can't boot anything other than Linux.
Outside Chromebooks (if that even counts) I can't think of a laptop or desktop models that was came with Linux and wouldn't let you install your own OS. What are the others?
>>
>>85226274
No they don't, normies don't give half a thought to such things...
>>
>>85222397
i don't know if this is confusing to you tourist consumer faggots invading my board, but linux is FREE software. that includes monetarily too. linux distro devs do not care if you use their distro. there is no profit motive and nothing other than principal (that not everyone even subscribes to) to motivate a free software dev to care about what you install.

you could install linux for an elderly person to use, but if some """power user""" can't figure it out then who does that matter to? there is no fucking linux committee having debates over how to attract new non-paying customers and your mindset being so engulfed in profit motives and corporate interests showcases how braindead you are about anything that isn't a product being sold to you
>>
>Linux fails at being arbitrarily chosen by vendors as a compilation target for their proprietary software
>Linux fails at being arbitrarily chosen by game studios as a compilation target for their proprietary games
>Linux fails at being the operating system Microsoft chose to lock PC OEMs into
Fourth point is fair. The first three are utterly moronic. What is there that Linux could improve about itself that would magically invalidate Microsoft's contracts? What is there for Linux to do that would make Adobe hit the "Compile to ELF" button?
>>
>>85226314
>What are the others?
Right now I try to root a TV box. Amlogic ARM64, runs Android but can boot Debian theoretically.
Then, there are routers, smart home gateways with zigbee and zwave, lot, lot more. Windows simply cannot work on most of that hardware.
>>
>>85226274
Linux would just turn into another spy OS, or the software running on it would do all the spying by itself. Normies want their proprietary spyware.
>>
>>85222352
People whinging about criticism are as bad as iToddlers and should fucking rope. If you want Linux to reach non-pathetic levels of adoption it needs to make the user experience less painful to normies. In before some faggot tries to gatekeep their OS like a healthy well-adjusted person
>>
>>85224042
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIClssVcVoo

1- Vfio gpu passthrought exist so you could use a near native performance windows virtual machine on Linux
2- 80% work, vfio and game streaming by a windows gaming server is possible
3- Most hardware work on Linux so it's barely an issue (more hardware work than on Windows 10)
4- 5 main distros (Arch, Debian, Gentoo, Red hat, Slackware so everything else is mere flavors of them)
>>
>>85223982
This isn't a solution but cope that don't actually solve the problem, the proper way to deal with sponsorsblock is to close the video, that's it, you don't have to use shit because the problem just disappear, that's because if you think putting sponsorsblock in your video is ok then I think it's ok to close the video and blacklist your channel to never see it again, you literally can't argue against it.
>>
>>85227169
>If you want Linux to reach non-pathetic levels of adoption
WE DON'T
>>
>>85225397
gimp is not a compatability problem - the software is simply shit
>>
>>85222424
Solid remake.
>>
>>85227169
>If you want Linux to reach non-pathetic levels of adoption you need to somehow make a lot of companies treat it like an operating system that has non-pathetic levels of adoption already
And how do you suggest they get out of this predicament?
>>
>>85223891
>>85223900

This sniveling cuck should be beaten to death in minecraft
>>
linux should never be normie friendly
if normies love technology so much they should actually fucking learn the tools before they use them instead of being the retarded fucking consoomers that they all are
linus' experiment only outed him as a literal moron that can't read but instead only knows to press accept when installing shit
>>
>>85224042
Krita better than photoshop for drawing. I don't edit photos though
>>
>>85227368
for a casual user gimp is more than enough. it doesnt feel intuitive if you come from prior photoshop experience, but i dont think this is an issue you'd have if you learned gimp from scratch. a pro graphic designer would likely have different standards but that's besides the point.
>>
>>85226188
>interface looks like trash
>random buttons everywhere
>most gtk and icon themes make it look even worse
>letters merge together for some weird reason
>is barely compatible with M$'s formats

>>85227368
What do Windows and Mac users use instead of Krita?
>>
>>85227429
Krita, it is also on windows and mac. Photoshop. For drawing Chinese cartoon girls the popular tools are paint tool sai and clip studio paint. They are actually pretty good. There are countless specialized and second string softwares too of course. And some do still use gimp. For all the shit it gets, you can still make good art with it.
>>
>>85227429
>What do Windows and Mac users use instead of Krita?
Excel and crayons respectively, I assume.
>>
>>85227540
But is Krita the Gimp or the Photoshop of the drawing world when it comes to market share?
If the most popular drawing programs are not available on Linux, it would be the same as in the Gimp vs Photoshop scenario.
>>
>>85223739
>ubuntu, mint, manjaro
These are dogshit though. Mint is ..ok I guess.
>>
>>85227565
what does market share matter
why can you people only think in corporate terms
krita and gimp are free software
>>
>>85227601
Free software that most people don't want to use.
They want and many times need to use certain software that's available on Windows and even Mac, but not on Linux.
>>
>>85222446
When did normalfag turn into "normie"?
>>
>>85227565
There are some people who only draw on iPad because they just want to use ProCreate, none of them seem to care what the 'industry standard' is. I'm not sure it is that important what software artists use. they will just use whatever they want. If you work at a big game company for example, there may be some requirement that you use the same software as everyone else, but for most creators, it doesn't matter. You just send .png or .tiff for delivery. It wouldn't be the same kind of 'industry standard' that MS Office is. It is hard to say how many people use Krita. Their website says they have 4 million active users. How accurate is that? What does active mean? I don't know though I'd bet most of them are on Windows and Mac.

To those of us who use it, increasing Krita's market share would have little benefit except increasing the amount of user-made brushes and textures available. Donating to the development would be much more beneficial.
>>
>>85222397
/thread
>>
>>85222352
not everyone wants freedom
>>
>>85227627
that's fine, they don't have to. those people aren't developers or contributors anyway so i don't see what the loss is.
>>
>>85226166
Windows has better lolis anyways. Freepedos blown the fuck out!
>>
>>85227202
..........what?
>>
>>85227709
>When did normal turn into "normalfag"?
ftfy
>>
>>85227966
Around 2006, I think.
>>
>>85227966
normie*
>>
It's a lot more idiotproof than Windows. At least Mint is.
>>
>>85223669
>>85229142
>>
>>85222352
>installing steam uninstalls the fucking desktop environment
how did these retards let this garbage ship?
>>
File: 1642011769877.jpg (86 KB, 892x784)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>85229142
Wrong. It migtve been my SSD failing(I only bought it in 2018) but after about 9 months of use the package repository or whatever you call it got corrupted. Also means that my drivers keep falling off for some reason, meaning I had to go through a lengthy process of figuring out how to install new drivers without using the driver manager because THAT stopped working. I finally got fed up and went back to Windows 10. I do plan on going back some day but my entire instalation basically exploded due to no fault of my own.
>>
File: 83835-1.png (127 KB, 400x444)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
>>85227866
but linux bros can fap to cunny because their os doesn't report it to police but this only matter for shit countries were lolicon is illegal
>>
>>85227111
The whole video is clearly about computers - he talks about how ones in walmart etc. don't have Linux preinstalled, so those are obviously outside scope.
That said, Windows does run on ARM, so if you can unlock the bootloader and it is an standard ARM chip then there's nothing that's stopping you from installing it, though it will probably involve a shitton of workarounds for that platform. It'll probably ruin your TV somehow though since Windows was not meant to run on TVs kek.
And even then Windows is not the only Linux alternative. BSD will happily run on your routers, home gateways and other devices. As long as your device has an unlocked bootloader it will work. Having closed bootloaders is an artificial limitation that imho does not apply when talking about devices not being able to run anything but Linux imho, since the platform can run other things, the devs just won't let you to - at least until someone finds a privilege escalation exploit which happens all the time.
>>
>running a software on Windows
*click next*
*click next*
*click finish*
*run program*
>running a software on Linux
*spend 3 days reading a wiki*
*enter countless command lines*
*nano edit 10 .conf files*
*build file for 10 hours*
*it doesn't work*
>>
File: ITS MINE.jpg (120 KB, 1244x799)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>85231411
>(and that's a good thing!)
>>
>>85231411
>running a software on Windows
*click next*
*click next*
*uncheck "install crappy toolbar"*
*click finish*
*try to run program*
*MSNIGGER.DLL not found*
*scour the internet for the right thing to install*
*eventually get it to work*
>running a software on Linux
*nix run github:the-developer/the-software*
*no installation required, guaranteed to just werk*
>>
>>85222397
GNU/Linux is free and open source. The issue is that people complain about Linux distros, but they aren't willing to help code, or donate money to a project. Lots of people code for Linux distros or write software that runs on Linux, but they don't do it full time as they have another job that pays their bills
>>
>>85231515
>This post violates United States law.
>>
>>85231515
Based schizo
>>
>>85232424
There's bounty to make an option to completely disable mouse acceleration. Still no answer.
>>
>>85222352
look at that mouth. It could be a sensuous cock loving mouth

look at those eyes, the dead eyes of a man who realises he sucked so much cock he is not going to heaven

look at that "jizz up my nostrils" nose

Thats the kind of sex parner Ant and Dec want
or the kind of sex partner Elton Toilet wants
>>
>>85223661
>>85224189
Did stallman got fired or is the thing still going?
>>
>>85222352
he's right; making so much of the software i use and the games i play work on linux is too much of pain (if it's possible in the first place)
until i can at least play my degenerate vns without a problem it's unusable
>>
>>85222446
MUH SEKRIT CLUB
>>
the only thing linux needs is a better documentation system
manpages should be as universal and accessible as microsoft's helpdocs are
a large amount of linux software don't even use manpages at all, and those that do often write terrible ones with no examples or use cases

there is no benefit in catering to "normies" who can't even read a manual for their essential tools
those people are better served on iphones
>>
>>85223488
Whenever someone ends their statement with an ellipses I know they're a cum-drooling faggot who shouldn't be taken seriously.
>>
>>85222352
>the website looks straight out of the 90s! no way anyone wants to browse that!
>>
>>85222446
this
>>85234811
shut up retard
>>
>>85227311
>Never fucked a qt minority woman
ngmi
>>
>>85234605
he got kicked out of fsf but later got returned back through the stallman support letter but he's no longer the leader
>>
you
*clap*
WILL
*clap*
use
*clap*
the
*clap*
transminal
>>
>>85224591
>Some retard is using ad mormones as an arguemnt outside of reddit.
Kill yourself
>>
>>85224042
>Cinnamon
Out of date gnome 3 fork.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.