[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: n2cMzwP3UyTfFb6YJzWA5P.jpg (26 KB, 1200x600)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Is CS starting to become a dead end? Too many people are getting a CS degree with all the self learners clogging the job market. Should we move towards lower level programming or drop the programming aspect in general?
>>
Every job is going to require programming in the future, you are not special because you hyperspecialized in being a codemonkey with no other talents.
>>
>>85209708
Most coding is sterile dogshit and the degree is getting clogged by hordes of women that want to go into sales or project management but end up doing web dev because they have no real skills, everyone is doing the same shit
>>
>>85209730
coding degrees are the new liberal arts lmao
>>
>>85209700
Just do EE and learn to code faggot, you'll have better opportunities than a CS monkey
>>
>>85209730
>they end up doing web dev because they have no real skills
Post your FAANG offer since web dev is so easy. I'll wait.
>>
File: 1622772613265.png (502 KB, 874x466)
502 KB
502 KB PNG
>>85209735
>>85209700
are you retarded or something? it doesn't take much research to prove that you are full of shit.
>>
>>85209771
THe bubble will blow up soon. I dropped out of CS and switched to ME. CS is a meme
>>
>>85209700
Nope. The best thing about a CS degree is that you won't have any debt because you got into the field first. The degree only unlocks more money and fills in the gaps of your knowledge.
If you can't get into the field without a degree, you need to find a different career.
>>
>>85209793
Have fun studying magnetism, faggot. I make 150k sitting on my ass with a CS degree and half a year of experience.
>inb4 "tech bubble go pop" cope
>>
>>85209793
many people enroll, but you'd be surprised what % of the class won't even make it past the first semester. it's not really a bubble as nearly every tech job is going to require some form of coding, either now or in the near future.
>>
>>85209700
>is CS dead
well the pro scene is still very much alive, but more and more teams are leaving to valorant, and regular players are probably off playing apex or seige
>>
>>85209896
kek
valorant is unironically dead though anon, it flopped hard
>>
>>85209700
It's better this way because all the new people are absolutely retarded mongrels who get filtered by calc2, so don't be one and you'll succeed
>>
>>85209959
calculus is easy as fuck
>>
>>85209813
ME is more useful to society
>>
it has been a dead end since the mid 90s
>>
>>85209700
>Is CS starting to become a dead end?
Nope. Computer science as a field of study and a career field is more than "programming".

>Too many people are getting a CS degree with all the self learners clogging the job market.
Being a "self learner" and obtaining a degree in CS are not mutually exclusive. If you can manage to do both and get some real world experience (co-op/internships) before you graduate then you will have no problem finding employment.
>>
Its always greener on the other side. I did Industrial Engineering and I make decent bux to live (not american though) but its a braindead job and you have to deal with a lot of retarded workers you are supposed to organize and most of the work you do is actually useless, not web dev shit you consider useless because you don't like the technology
>>
Self learners most of the time end up as straight up code monkeys without any growth because they never had a means to learn the more complex concepts of actual computer science. What you learn with the degree is a different way of thinking how to engineer software and not just writing shit on javascript like a monkey
>>
>>85210076
And so are emebedded programmers but both still make less money than web-devs.
>>
>>85210068
not for these fags
>>
>>85210068
I failed trig last year but I'm too dumb to quit. Hopefully I can take Calc this summer.
>>
>>85210180
Easiest math you'll ever take lmao
>>
I did Computer Engineering so I could have access to embedded shit and still ended up in webdev with no experience and I'm doing ok. Embedded is a meme and its a closed circle currently.
>>
>>85209700
It's a dead end for pajeet bootcampers
>>
>>85210200
This,
>>
>tfw majored in economics because I didn't know what I wanted to do
>tfw stuck in some boring excel monkey analyst job
Meanwhile my friend who majored in electrical engineering is working on submarines. I wish there was some way to go from a useless degree to a real one after already getting duped into the useless one.
>>
>>85210187
Only thing giving me hope is a colleague who barely passed trig but went on to ace Calc 1-3 and Diffys.
>>
>>85209928
not the quoted, but how is this true if it has more players than CS? The developers are very active too, which should be an indicative that it's profitable. Not to mention the ever growing pro scene.
Don't get me wrong, anon, i think CS is the better game and i can't stand the overwatch bullshit with all those skills, but let's not tell lies here.
>>
>>85210296
cs has more players. the pro scene is also far, far bigger for cs. valorant only has NA orgs that open secondary teams while still primarily focusing on their cs or league teams. it has no EU presence
there's videos about how valorant is dying with analytics to back it up
riot constantly does all kinds of fag shit to try and boost their numbers. like how they forced people to watch streamers play valorant to hopefully get a beta key. and how it has that faggot drop system that further encourages people to watch it. and still people barely watch it.
according to riots retard analytics, there's like 12 million more league players than there are steam users, which makes zero sense to anyone with two brain cells. so even if they were to stop being cowardly and release numbers, they wouldnt show player count because thats not something they can boost in shady ways
>>
>>85209700
It will continue to drop salary wise. But it is still well over average and you have at least another decade or more before it drops to Mech E or Chem E levels.
>>
>>85209742
80% of EE tards end up in the CS field anyways. Big Sand is hard to break into.
>>
>>85209700
Levels.fyi and blind suggest you are wrong
>>
>>85210446
Level and blind are the 1% of software engineers. 99% earn far less.
>>
>>85210296
in fairness i only said people were leaving to play valorant or other games, CS is still very much the titan in the esports scene, but you can see its steady decline. tournaments are being held less and less, due to covid as well the prize pools are smaller, viewership numbers are falling as well. people just dont care as much anymore. playercount is still up there, but since it went f2p non-prime lobbies are just full of bots

i think recent changes to valorant (namely a character that can move at the sped of light) are also killing that game, most people are also sick of the overwatchification of esports. especially in seige, where changes are made based on silver copper players posts on the bird app more than anything else.

gaming is dying and esports along with it. when fortnite became the biggest thing, you already knew we were past the point of no return.
>>
>>85211139
>gaming is dying
how?
>>
>>85209756
It’s FAGMAN fag
>>
File: 1617159064687.jpg (152 KB, 960x720)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>85209700
You did write your own compiler, right?
>>
>>85209700
Customer support is a pretty good job. Don’t need a degree for customer support, not sure what you are talking about.
>>
>>85209700
No you are just retarded and have no skill. You went got degree and thought that meant someone would just hand you money. Learn how to actually apply and not be a mindless drone. For working only when you were told you got exactly what you deserve. Nothing.
>>
>>85209742
>do EE
please don't. we have enough retarded helpers already. t. ee
>>
>>85211594
Lmao look at this kid thinking he's the next big one
>>
>>85210466
I thought /g/ was predominantly comprised of that 1% though.
>>
>>85209742
>Just do EE
Go away, we are full
>>
>>85210076
Who cares? I have hobbies. Hobbies are expensive. I need money. Being more or less useful to society means nothing to me. I'd wave my cock around on live TV if it's what paid most.
>>
>>85209700
>Too many people are getting a CS degree
Based on what?
>>
>>85209700
It's a double edged sword honestly, sometimes I wish my field was more crowded because then there'd be more people pushing the boundaries leading to a greater need to hire more developers to tackle the scaling complexity.
>>
>>85209700
No, saturation is a meme. Sure there are a lot of people trying to get in for the money, but most never will. If the market was saturated wages would go down, but they don't.
Most people can't learn how to program, no matter how hard they try, it's that simple. Programming requires you to create abstract models in your head and conceptualize how the data is flowing through the code, very few people can actually do it.
>>
>>85212017
There are probably some new grad hires on here with high TC, but I don't think we have the best of the bunch on /g/. At least, according to the kneejerk reactions when you post even a moderate salary here.

--

Also, who cares if everyone's getting into programming? Tons of people suck at their jobs, just be better than they are.

If this scares you because you're a low performer who thinks they can get by because tech is too specialized for normies, well...
>>
>>85209700
>self learners clogging anything
1. ask for CS or CE degree
2. problem solved
retards.
>>
>>85210123
The market rewards people who are good and efficient with tools. Most problems are already solved, your job is just to apply the solutions. If you're developing commercial software a degree and CS theory is mostly useless.
>>
>>85210092
>Computer science as a field of study and a career field is more than "programming".
Sure, but "programming" is what the market needs more people for because software is required for almost every aspect of modern life. For every 1000 programmers we need maybe 1 researcher and 2 guys to keep servers running.
>>
>>85212491
Any country thats not the US does this.
>>
>>85212225
You people make less than the least skilled CS grad with no experience shits HILARIOUS
>>
I have a friend who's been "learning 2 code" for years, he just can't get his head around it. I tutored him a bunch of times, he just can't.
I can't tell him to drop it because what the fuck else is he going to do? This is the only good blue collar job left, that's why people flock to it, but most will never make it, that's why it pays so well. Low supply high demand, and it will stay like this maybe forever, software isn't going away.
>>
>>85212595
Yup, if CS degrees can barely code then imagine the "Self-taught bootcamp" crowd. They can get one job as the lowest level junior monkey but they end up crashing out of it once they get burn-out
>>
>>85209708
Are you insane? If anything it'll become less.
>>
>>85209700
Do CE and you can apply to EE and SWE jobs anyway, it filters out the CS wannabes with the math shit
>>
>>85209700
It's still only a very small percentage of the population who can do this mentally
>>
>>85209700
Only people saying the field is saturated are those that unironically got filtered
>>
>>85212699
I know people that have liberal arts degrees and when they didn't found a job they took a bunch of bootcamps and have jobs now. It's a fucking joke
>>
Every fucking industry requires software now dumbass and those jobs actually require degrees for the coding that you need to do in those positions.
>>
>>85210092
> Being a "self learner" and obtaining a degree in CS are not mutually exclusive.
True, the education I'm getting in my college is dogshit so I'm complementing it with OSSU CS
>>
High level coding is dead. It will be made by AI.
>>
File: 1508636254496.gif (1005 KB, 280x141)
1005 KB
1005 KB GIF
EE = ME >> CS
>>
>>85212944
Even CE is better. Anyone that applies math during college will develop sharper coding skills and be more versatile. CS graduates end up running away from coding praying to get into shit like sales with zero charisma. It's the degree for all those losers that think they can code games and it will be a fun thing to do.
>>
>>85210076
That's a cope and what every single underage b& used to say back in the say. You sound like me when I was 15 lmao.
>>
>>85210068
^^
If calculus is easy for you, coding shouldn't be a big deal, the end.
>>
>>85210068
Math is a skill. Anyone can learn it.
>>
>>85213898
then why do retards fail out of college algebra after multiple attempts, clearly some people just aren't as capable
>>
>>85212795
And for them. CSS and HTML can be done by anyone.
Good luck to them on the backend though.
>>
>>85213992
Because they don't pay attention. Get over yourself.
>>
every job is a dead end job if youre unhapph with your life and yourself
>>
>>85214041
nah theres a fuck ton finance kids that will pass every other class but will college algebra + calc will hold them back from graduating. I don't buy the "they just dont pay attention" excuse.
>>
>>85209700
How is it even possible to think that CS is a dying career? We literally cannot hire enough people. If you even halfway know what you’re doing and you’re willing to move to CA or WA you will get a good job
>>
>>85214170
Automation is going to nuke the market.
>>
>>85209756
>Amazon
230k base + 180k stock + 75k bonus

Web dev will die, and it is a meme, but by God, will I milk it.
>>
>>85209700
Just be top 10% and have skills that are not common and be better as all the monkeys? I don't see where the problem is, just profit.
>>
>>85211594
>implying OP finished his education
>>
>>85209813
BS or Masters? Was debating on going back for masters. Still cant get at a real high paying one
>>
>>85209700
I've been doing a lot of recruiting for my company lately, you wouldn't believe how many people pretending to be "senior frontend developer" failed to write a dead simple CRUD in react during live coding challenges.
If you're a half-decent developer, I wouldn't worry about the job market.
>>
>>85209742
> Just do EE
You really don't want to get laid, do you huh?
>>
>>85214177
programmers are the ones doing the automation
>>
>>85209959
This. Only the bottom half has to worry (this probably means you though). Programmers with knowledge and experience will always be in demand.
>>
>>85212518
Lol. You are the people who will be filtered first and complain about whiteboard interviews. You just know the tool, no insight, no adaptability.

Oh hey anon there right me a new tool to replace the one you learned soon. Better start studying.
>>
>>85212536
You have it backwards. We actually need a few programmers making new software and tons of server admins at each company writing scripts and combing software to fit business use.

If money is what you are after, the Linux systems is the lucrative and stable job.
>>
>>85209700
No, and it will never happen because we will always have more shit that needs automating.

>Too many people are getting a CS degree with all the self learners clogging the job market
Shit devs create more problems than they solve, which means more work for the rest of us. If you're good you'll literally always be in demand.

I've seen people with CS degrees who can't program at all. No amount of degrees/bootcamp/self study is going to turn a retard into a good dev.

>tldr: if you're good you have nothing to worry about, if you're shit you will still get jobs writing shit code because retards hire retards
>>
>>85214177
you've never worked a tech job in your life if you believe this
>>
>>85217489
No one CS gets laid but you def have the chance
>>
Everyone in this thread thinks they're some sort of programming jesus I didn't know every senior dev was posting on 4chan
>>
>>85210443
As an EE who moved to Software Engineering, i find that being boiled down to CS work degrading. Mainly because fuck you, CS is easy, it's telling others why we need 3 backend dev, 2 front end devs, an embedded guy, and etc while I maintain the architecture of the project is what really is worthwhile.
However I got my Master's in SwE, not CS, so I guess that's different too
>>
>>85221266
>I didn't know every senior dev was posting on 4chan
that's because this is 4channel, not 4chan
>>
>>85212491
>>85212577
lol, i get approached by recruiters all the time and i dropped out of CS college back in 2012.

work experience > degree

retards.

literally had two amazon recruiters hit me up for a job in the past 6 weeks
>>
>>85221296
The majority of fucks with no degree can't code anything beyond javascript, you are an exception, not the rule
>>
>>85209742
Nope, I regret this everyday of my life. I should have done CE instead at least. I wasted 5 years doing a really difficult EE program only to end up working at some shitty industry where the management is insanely retarded demanding production all day so no time for design or testing, just make sure the workers get the shit done in time.
>>
>>85209700
>Is CS starting to become a dead end? Too many people are getting a CS degree with all the self harmers and trannies and gays and blacks clogging the job market. Should we move towards lower level programming or drop the programming aspect in general?

Move toward lower level programming
Giving up means you leave it to a few white men
taking up the challenge means you JOIN the few white men
>>
>>85221390
>>85209700
listen to this RIGHT NOW
only a true programmer could create this
http://www.uzic.ch/tek.m3u
or
http://www.uzic.ch/
>>
>>85214041
As someone who graduated from undergrad as an EE, I can't fully agree with this. Sure, there's many cases where people don't just pay attention in class or whatever, but I think there's a lot more to it. Calculus is a huge weed out class because it does require a bit of natural talent to keep up, I think. As well as being able to remember past techniques from past courses. Not to mention when you're tested, especially in a standard calc 2 class, you have to be more than comfortable which all the integration and derivation techniques and know them well, while also being quick with them. That usually could be refined with practice, but from my experience, there are people that no matter how long they practiced it, they never fully "got it". Why? Maybe it's natural talent, maybe it's a bad foundation of math, maybe combinations of all of that. But i think being good in a class really just comes down to "how much of a natural learner is this person?" And that's really the biggest discernable measure of performance that cannot be practice, but I'd built from a foundation starting at age 0. It's a learned characteristic that takes years to fully develop and in a sense can't be built further upon past a certain age, maybe
>>
>>85209700
>Record 40%+ YoY growth industry
>dead end
>>
>>85221357
It's never too late to change, take it from me, as I'm >>85221289
I'm much happier after pursuing more software, but i always had an interest in it from the start when I learned C. Probably would have gone with CE but I got a bad first experience with coding in python prior to college. And then I was too stubborn to change major because I wanted to be unique (kek)
>>
>>85221433
sod off fagbreath
I too am a graduate and you sound like a whining gay to me
>>
>>85212944

EE you have to be paranoid your design doesn't kill anyone plus professional organizations can suck my dick with their yearly membership fee.
>>
>>85221425
fuckin WOW!
>>
>>85221467
CE is a more unique major than EE. I should have switched too.
>>
I'm fully self-taught and found it pretty easy to get a job. In the US if it matters.

I can actually code though, I studied algos and some CS concepts in addition to making my own projects. I feel like IQ and aptitude are the real limiting factors and degrees are only kinda useful as signals outside of the top schools. You can tell when another person can code or not, it's jus that simple.
>>
>>85221722
>You can tell when another person can code or not, it's jus that simple.
yeah usually because who they have worked for and where they have a phd or not
>>
>>85211241
Gamers are going through burnout. The industry is stagnant and is less and less competent each year.
>>
>>85209700
Only if you’re a low-tier dev. Strong developers will always be in high demand no matter how hard globohomo tries to push down wages through diversity hiring and outsourcing
>>
>>85211241
What game is there to play?
Elden ring looks cool sure, a few other games probably but I have not bothered touching an online game for years. They're completely ruined.
>>
File: drive-pic.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>85209700
I literally finished an embedded bootcamp and found a job writing drivers. Only the AI/ML developers are somewhat safe, and even they get to see bootcamp faggots like me with 2 years experience switching over to their field.
If you REALLY want to be safe, go to EE and develop actual hardware. You can't teach EE in bootcamps (ever. period. You have better luck teaching medicine in a bootcamp.)
>>
>>85219019
>You just know the tool, no insight, no adaptability.
You presume a lot about me.
>>
>>85219019
Also, insight and adaptability has nothing to do with CS theory.
>>
>>85212518
>If you're developing commercial software a degree and CS theory is mostly useless.
t. Spring Boot codemonkey
>>
>>85223356
No. Any language you throw at me codemonkey. What is your job?
>>
>>85210076
>more useful to (((society)))
based poster, I'm sticking to pretend work.
>>
File: sswjTmp.jpg (367 KB, 1920x1080)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>85223262
It's much harder to find hardware jobs though so that kind of offsets any advantage. If you don't make it you are toast, you can't just freelance or work for some small business for a while and then use that experience to get a better job.

That said if you get an interview it should be fairly easy to get the job, I got to a state school and applied to a trading firm and got an offer to do FPGA work.

The interview was relatively easy, they just showed me some code and asked me what it does and then I was asked to write a multiplexer in verilog.

Meanwhile if you want to get a software position you have to first take the hackerrank coding quiz, then do one of those automated video interviews, then a couple more rounds of interviews each of which is leetcoding and if you fail one you're out.

I actually talked to the recruiter about this and asked him what made them pick me because realistically they could just get someone from MIT and he told me that they get very few worthy hardware candidates. On the other hand they get so many software applications that they just drop anyone who's not from MIT, CMU or some other top tier school.
>>
I'm shifting to CS. How hard is the math? I've gone full parkour from Pharmacy to CS.
>>
Is it better to study electronic engineering than CS? EE is dead with barely any job growth but CS is oversaturated as fuck.
>>
>>85209700
yes it's a dead end, fuck off we're full
>>
>>85223606
depends on the country and where you want to work
>>
>>85223580
Depends which university you go to, in general it's one of the hardest math related degrees that is not math,the algorithms course is especially a pain in the ass.
>>
File: le bbc face.jpg (10 KB, 272x272)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>85223606
>what one do i choose? one is dead but the other one has jobs
>>
>>85223664
More jobs but you need to compete with 6 gorillion pajeets and need to master 1000 languages by age 20
>>
>>85223657
shut the fuck up, algorithms are hardly difficult. The hard part is statistical machine learning (not meme learning) and signal processing.
>>
>>85223694
Thank fuck im not american
>>
>>85223694
if you can't differentiate yourself from a sea of pajeets, that's your problem
>>
>>85209700
>with all the self learners clogging the job market
stay mad you paid for a meme degree you dont need
>>
>>85209700
Self learners are a non issue
HR just cans their resume 99% of the time
>>
>>85209700
no
>Too many people are getting a CS degree with all the self learners clogging the job market.
maybe for entry level jobs
>Should we move towards lower level programming or drop the programming aspect in general?
no
>>
>bro the market is becoming oversaturated
>just two more weeks and youll be out of a job!!
>>
>>85209700
The stats show that self taught and bootcamp grads make way less money that BSc graduates which makes less money that MSc graduates. Every field within CS is expanding. Computer security, robotics, cloud, web, fintech, ML + CV just to name things off my head.
>>
How many people in this thread have actually graduated?

Now how many of you have actually graduated with a CS, CE, or EE degree?

Now how many of you have actually gotten a decent paying job from this?

Bonus question, how many of you have actually graduated with your Masters?

These are the filters I wish I could turn on in this thread.
>>
>>85224865
i got a decent paying job programming with no college or degree fag
>>
>>85224875
CoL and Salary?
>>
>>85209816
This, at least 50% switched majors.
>>
>>85209700
Depends. Here in Germany CS is amongst the most popular degrees yet only has a graduation rate of 30-40%. No one wants to hire self learners unless they have really solid experience.
>>
File: 1623821344830.jpg (242 KB, 900x900)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>85209708
>Every job is going to require programming in the future
Most programming jobs don't even require real programming
>>
File: growth various.png (98 KB, 1223x600)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>85224865
Graduated >100k total comp.
>>85224810
>>
>>85224909
Only the american market is beyond clogged because they don't have job security and there's hordes of 50 year olds and liberal arts dropouts that all want to learn how to code because they were told its the goldmine. Every other country it feels like a safe future
>>
>>85211544
Checked. And I did.
Though I miss this white man like you wouldn't believe.
>>
>>85221266
All you need to do is program a lot and read some books.
>>
>>85224865
>How many people in this thread have actually graduated?
me
>Now how many of you have actually graduated with a CS, CE, or EE degree?
CS
>Now how many of you have actually gotten a decent paying job from this?
Define 'decent'.
>Bonus question, how many of you have actually graduated with your Masters?
Bachelor only. Got so burned out from my bachelor degree that I didn't want to go back to uni again after graduating.
>>
>>85224947
Good thing about non-English speaking countries is that they can't outsource your job.
>>
>>85209700

This post is part of Anon's posts.

Anon's posts are free software: you can redistribute them and/or modify them
under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published
by the Free Software Foundation, version 3.

Anon's posts are distributed in the hope that they will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
See the GNU Affero General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License
along with Anon's posts. If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>

No, I think many more jobs will be created
>>
>>85224898
CoL is very cheap because I bought land and work remote, salary started at 60k range but gradually increased to $100k in less time than most people spend on a meme degree
>>
>>85225086
That's not bad actually. Pretty impressive.

>>85225006
Nice

>>85224927
Robotics and automated robots in general are becoming BIG now that companies are trying to downsize since "muh $15 an hour" is catching up with them
>>
>>85225143
Thats why I'm trying to get my masters in robotics so I can join a startup and get bought out after a 100x increase in valuation.
>>
File: 1612209231332.jpg (11 KB, 444x425)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>85225143
Thanks anon I appreciate it
>>
>>85222266
This. I find it super hard to have fun with games. The only game I've had actual fun in a while was Demon Souls.
>>
>>85223063
Online gaming is just a walking zombie. They're not many good online games and you will have tough time finding new cool people. Over the past 3 years I've friended so many people but I only keep contact on the daily with 2 people. So you can't even use it to build online friendships anymore unless you get super lucky.

Most online games now boil down to
Battle Pass
Loot Boxes
Shitty Skins
Intrusive Anti Cheat that doesn't do jack shit
Toxicity ( and not the fun one where you just have friendly banter actual toxicity where both parties feel awful after it ends ).
>>
>>85209700
no because there has always been a massive shortage of actual computer scientists
companies are dumping money on people who can actually design solutions rather than copy from stack overflow
basically, don't be a code monkey and you'll be fine
>>
>>85210096
Switch to ME. I did the same thing and want to get a Master of Science in ME specially Computational Fluid Mech. Industrial is makes you semi good at stats though even though my uni course was about 70% ME with classes like Elasticity, FEM.
>>
>>85213992
>then why do retards fail out of college algebra after multiple attempts, clearly some people just aren't as capable
you will crash hard, thinking you have some innate edge over these losers who drop out, it's just pure luck what style of thinking you were exposed to at the right time(s) in your life, nothing more nothing less. These people just lack time and probably the will to work out what exactly their hang ups about higher mathematics are.
>>
>>85209700
it's not the degree that matters, it is whether or not you are a retard
>>
>>85214495
I woke at Amazon, this is not true
>>
>>85226924
>woke
manlet detected
>>
>>85227097
Actually I'm 6"3
>>
>>85223698
Why does everyone have such a hard time with dsp? I genuinely don't get it, I mean ot was quite a bit to learn, but nowhere near statistical machine learning and not out of the ballpark of algorithms albeit still harder(if we're talking about excellence and not competence)
>>
>>85209700

CS is fine. it's just that everything is moving to online shit. actual programs will just be websites
>>
>>85224909
True but if you stay at home well paid jobs are harder to find
>>
>>85226889
Lmao bro. People and their abilities are not all the same. Next you will tell me that nigger athletes break the 9.8 second barrier because they practise
>>
>>85209700
There is a over saturation in all engineering job markets.
However there is still a huge need for engineers because there are a lot of incompetent engineers out there.
>>
basically everything is over
>>
Don't bother with CS.
>>
Every day I thank Russia China and North Korea for keeping security engineers employed forever
>>
>>85221357
>management is insanely retarded demanding production all day so no time for design or testing
oh boy you’d be in for a huge shock if you worked in software engineering
>>
>>85226924
>im a jr at Amazon. I didn't know how to negotiate, so I took all my salary through rsu in the hopes spaceship man doesn't fire me within 4 years.

Grow up manlet.
>>
>>85221357
You must be young or new
>>
Your degree doesn't matter, it is simply a signal to the world that you are capable of socializing, following instructions, and conforming. You do not need a formal CS education to code or work in tech. Stop listening to memes on the internet or self proclaimed 'gurus' who claim they know everything about how the corporate world works.

t. works in tech, make over 200k, have a general studies degree
>>
>>85209742
That or CE
>>
>>85227486
Indian software "Engineers" Are part of the reason why there's jobs, someone needs to step up and fix their code
>>
>>85224865
Grad with CS 70K AUD, no masters
>>
Remember, boys. Work is work. Do it, get paid and go do something else. Work doesn't need to be the best thing in your life.
The real fun stuff happens in the free time. Your company is not your friend and your work is not your leisure.
>>
>>85219043
Are you a server admin?
>>
>>85227486
Programming isn't like burger flipping where anyone with a pulse can get hired.
>>
>>85209700
>Is CS starting to become a dead end? Too many people are getting a CS degree with all the self learners clogging the job market.
CS is safe because it's a hard filter. You cannot bullshit your way through getting a program to run. Than again, Big Tech seems to have no problem hiring people that can't code for CS roles based on sex/race, but that's a separate issue.
>>
>>85231175
That is why I prefer small companies (< 100 people) at least 10 years old.
They can't afford to keep paying useless leeches.
And they aren't on seed funding life support.
>>
>>85224865
Bachelors in MIS (management information systems, meme business degree), that's it. Make a little over 300k as software engineer at Amazon. I'm not the other guy in this thread but basically same offer, he's misrepresenting RSUs as they vest over 4 years and you get only like 10k of it the first year. Still, comes out to like 315k. This field is a gold mine as long as you are able to get the right jobs. I don't have a github, don't know C or C++, and am mostly self taught, would consider myself a decent programmer but that's it.
>>
>>85231196
Still not a safe bet.
>joined a new agency 7 months ago
>management is terrible
>worked on 10+ sites for clients
>even now, not a single on is live
>multiple clients (rightly) threaten to pull funding
>company is losing revenue
>starts expanding dev team with remote third-worlders
>get laid off with a bunch of other devs
The only case I think a company would truly be safe in is if the CEO is an ex software engineer.
>>
>>85231285
Depends on the industry. I've found in finance there are a surprisingly large number of small companies making some obscure software that for some reason single bank in the world pays for.
As long as you are okay working with legacy systems™ then it's a pretty comfy gig.
Government job like hours, software engineer pay.
>>
>>85231241
>misrepresenting rsu.

Nope been there multiple year's now. That is what I get in stocks per year, not what's added per year.
>>
>>85210199
Same. I majored in embedded systems as a Computer Engineering fag but all I'm doing now is hardly related to what I majored in. I now work as a sysadmin for a major telco.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.