[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So../g/.. how does it feel coders ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57914432

So much representability
>>
>>84472916
>Why coders love AI that could put them out of a job
Because the industry is a hellscape, please for the love of God let them take over so I can go back to programming for fun instead of destroying my favourite hobby day in day out
>>
>>84472916
> it makes you feel like youre in a matrix film
I fucking eish, ask me how I know she does nothing.
>>
>>84472916
GPT4 will render career programmers, journalists and writers obsolete. Companies will just have a small staff of editors that fix minor mistakes and remove offensive output.
>>
>>84473010
thank god i'm in ml lol
>>
Im still surprised no-one has sued because copilot violates licenses.
>>
>>84473067
it's complicated™
>>
>>84473067
RMS said that no license could legally stop a neural network.
>>
>>84473010
What in the hell is GPT4 ? I only knew about git copilot because of the reddit crowd making memes on "tech" subs.
>>
File: matrix.png (24 KB, 752x687)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>
>>84473192
Github Copilot was built on GPT3, a language model AI.
GPT4 is 500x more powerful than GPT3. Most programmers will become obsolete overnight when Copilot shifts to GPT4.
>>
>>84473192
it's a compacter version of gpt-3 kek
>>
>>84473238
it's not 500x more powerful... its basically gpt-3 with compacter computation making it more compute intense but not larger.
>>
>>84473231
> 15-week bootcamp
> im like, in the matrix bro
kek
>>
>>84473231
>>>but found it "a bit repetitive and superficial".

So, she started teaching herself to code after work, followed by a 15-week coding boot camp.

>>On the boot camp's last day, she applied for a job at cyber-security software company, Avast.
>>And started there a week later.
>>"Two and a half years later, I really think it's the best decision I ever made," she reflects.
>>When she started at the company, she was the first woman developer working on her team. She now spends her spare time encouraging other women, people of colour, and LGBT people to try coding.
>>For programmers like her, she says the most interesting shift recently has been the rise of artificial intelligence (AI) tools which can bite off increasingly big chunks of programming all by themselves.

you cant make this shit up
>>
>>84472999
Nice trips
>>
>>84473007
This, she's been dabbling with some visual drag and drop language for retards
>>
>>84473007
tell me
>>
>>84472916
>no job becuase ai
>make new tech
>ai cant into new tech
>now have job
such is life
>>
>>84472916
Judging by her comment, it doesn't sound like she's doing any serious work.
>>
>>84472916
AI will never be able to program anything complex, cutting edge, or innovative. The most it will ever be able to do is regurgitate templates with rearranged details for common software types. There will always have to be someone programming the AI to do more stuff. Yes, even ML requires human handlers.
>>
>>84473231
ABSOLUTE FUCKING KEK

The industry is hiring diversity hires like her, so Github (Microsoft) invented an "AI" trained on open-source code which is quite simply a form of license laundering. That entire deck of stack collapses if you don't have smart (but retarded) autists writing open-source code for free to train the AI.
>>
>>84473539
tell this to the diversity hiring crowd and HR. All this FUD will only serve to lower wages anyway.
god i fucking hate hr and thiis shit so much.
>>
>>84473554
This is evidence that tech is in a massive bubble right now. Tech companies are hiring low quality employees for diversity points because that helps them get more investment money. This snowballs to a point where the majority of the company is made of up low quality employees. Eventually, the high quality employees would leave in frustration and the house of cards collapses.
>>
makes you feel smart -- and a fucking absolute idiot retard and resentful of your dogshit coworkers who put 0 effort into their code.
>>
>>84473010
>Companies will just have a small staff of editors that fix minor mistakes and remove offensive output.
AYO DATS RAYCIS, we need mandatory 45% niggers and 45% trans muslim in your workforce.
>>
>>84473539
>AI will never be able to defeat human Go players
>AI will never be able to write a coherent story
>AI will never be able to write a song
>AI will never be able to make a painting
>>
>>84472916
programming is a means to an end, if I could have AI do it for me I would be more than happy to sit back and relax. You could outsource parts of your program to AI just like you can use libraries now to abstract away complexity.
>>
>>84473106
It's just meta data fucktards. Die.
>>
I hate how machines have "took our jebs" for countless times in the past 100 years and I still have to wake up for work in the morning.
>>
>>84473270
Prime example of 'diversity hire'

Meanwhile some white or asian guy has to work harder to make up for her lack of competence, it's such a shit show.
>>
>>84472916
Because most programmers are too autistic to apply logic outside of coding. They'll cheer on the machine that will eventually replace them because today it makes their job more easy. They'll ignore that it is made by stealing from open source and is blatantly trying to fly by on technicality that is legally dubious as best.
>>
>>84473648
AI still can't safely drive a car
it can't tell the difference between a cardboard box and a boulder in the road
AI was supposed to replace truck drivers a couple years ago and it didn't happen
The entire shipping industry is collapsing because the elites thought they could replace truckers with AI during their plandemic and that failed spectacularly

Specifically, co-pilot cranks out pajeet tier copypasta that is inefficient at best and wildly dangerous in many cases
It doesn't escape url query parameters
It doesn't guard against sql injection
It also can pollute your code base with viral GPL licensed code
>>
>>84472916
last people who will be replaced by AI is programmers
>>
>>84473956
LOL
>>
>>84472916
> "AI" that could put them out of a job
What these fake intellectuals call "AI" isn't really AI.
No, it can't replace what a human can do in most cases.
>>
>>84472916
>>84473231
Man, wtf is wrong with the fonts?
>>
>>84473231
I hate this world so fucking much.
>>
Even robots that autonomously do shit, like put cars together, still have people watching over them to make sure they don't make big mistakes and service them.
Coding AIs will still have people checking on them to make sure the code is right. The bootcamp hires probably think it'll save all that time going to find solutions on stackoverflow, when really they'll be the people replaced by the AI while the senior programmers will be kept to make the unit tests and ensure the code is coming out as it should.
>>
>that could put them out of a job
Projecting. Been using Copilot as a COPILOT for a straight month. It helps me code faster and only replaces the faggot in the office who "cleans the code".
I like to call these code janitors.
>>
>>84474683
No anti-aliasing
>>
File: based dpt.jpg (57 KB, 424x398)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>84472999
fpbp
fuck code monkey life
>>
File: 1620328660195.gif (2.36 MB, 495x525)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB GIF
>>84472916
>coders
and nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>84473231
This is soviet union style propaganda, but instead of kulaks ("wealthy" farmers) they target white middle class.

How fast it goes, just a year ago I was still pro american, but now I am rooting for China. Let chinks defeat this trans cabal and then we can have a new world that is less fucked up.
>>
>>84475636
i heart those chink waifus, but the deck's already stacked against getting in there. i'm rooting for russia now.
>>
>>84473639
cant be muslim if youre trans bud
>>
>>84473648
>AI will never be able to defeat human Go players
wow a game with a finite win condition was solved? congrats
>AI will never be able to write a coherent story
>AI will never be able to write a song
>AI will never be able to make a painting
I've never been shown an example that wasn't absolute trite, sure it ""can"" do it but the output is just above beginner level and is completely uninspired/boring

>it'll get better though!!!
AI is just a mathematical model that guesses what function will provide the desired output. you can teach that creativity

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.