[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]


Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: tranny.png (36 KB, 1200x800)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
Tell me straight , Is it worth learning Rust?
>>
No.
>>
>>84465698
NO.
>>
yes
>>
maybe
>>
File: KnowYourPlace.png (243 KB, 1756x2062)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>84465698
>>
>>84465698
only if you already proficient in C, C++, Java, Go, Javascript, Lisp flavor of your choice, Python, C#, Scala, PHP,
>>
File: 1637862400677.jpg (753 KB, 1212x940)
753 KB
753 KB JPG
>>84465698
cuck license
>>
>>84465793
and DEEZ NUTS
>>
>>84465698
Yes. Assuming you want to get into systems programming and already know C.
>>
>>84465698
Yes now that FAGMAN is financially backing it.
>>
>>84465698
No, not until they sort out their internal issues and iron out their complexity bloat.
>>
>>84465714
Yeah, C is more popular than C++, and VB is more popular than JS
>>
>>84465998
>>84465747
>>
>>84465698
>>84465747
you already know the answer and are probably a shill
all fields
>>
>>84465698
depends, but mostly no.
>>
let mut dilate!
>>
>>84465698
no - learn HolyC
>>84465747
>>84465795
Based
>>
It's worth it if you like learning stuff for the sake of learning stuff.
>>
>>84465698
na, why would you do that, we are programmers, lazy pieces of shit that do the least amount of work possible.
Rust is for schizos and it truly is.
Rust if for those that tape their webcam or delete their google account every year. Its the language for those that when someone says hi to them they think that it has to be some sort of ploy to have sex or its an actual micro aggression, like i said schizophrenics.
Security? dude like i dont even test my code... and sometimes but very rarely i may introduce some regression test just in case but wtf who gives a fuck about my code crashing its basically throw away program that wont be used in 2-4 years and be replaced by the next meme who cares.

The language is for spergs that develop an emotional attachment with their code like perverts that get attached to little girls because they are broken people with no emotional compass, they get so attached that will sabotage any contributors to their projects or try to bully other projects into adopting their stupid tech for no absolutely reason than them acting as absolute parasites.

>o hey you have to use this librarly because its so secure!!! USE IT
> 80% userbases is usable to use the new version
an for what reason do they act like this? Because they think that their software has a soul. This people probably speak with their code or even worse, have sex with it, i mean this is natural selection they already lost the game but hey it is what it is.
>>
>>84465698
Amazon is attempting to take over Rust and they actually know what they're doing, so yes
>>
>>84465698
yes, you also NEED a thinkpad with arch, a mechanical keyboard and a CRT screen. Don't forget to install the spyware browser on it so you can get some worthless shitcoin too.

now you're a certified /g/ brainless faggot.
>>
File: literallyOP.jpg (30 KB, 474x441)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>84465698
> BBBUT C HAS MEMORY LEAKS, ITS LITERALLY UNUSABLE
go home, take your meds and then kill yourself, trannie. use a real language like c or python
>>
>>84466260
You have made Rust sound much more based than it actually is.
>>
>>84466361
>python
People like you are the reason why half of open source software is slow as fuck
>>
>>84466260
>na, why would you do that, we are programmers, lazy pieces of shit that do the least amount of work possible
Speak for yourself pajeet/rangul/josé
>>
>>84466394
people like you are the ONLY reason why human evolution is slow as fuck
>>
>>84466260
>we are programmers, lazy pieces of shit that do the least amount of work possible.
>but if you don't want to dick with valgrind for hours to find a tricky bug then you're a retard
/g/
>>
>>84465698
I want to kick the shit out of this fucking crab it’s unreal. Ground stomp it to death.
>>
>>84466428
based
>>
>>84466414
> A pythonfag calling others slow
>>
Ignoring all the first year undergraduate posts before this one, Rust is objectively a decent language. Nice tooling, fast compile times, good generics, close to metal performance (not C tier though) and an exquisite type system.
Too bad cuckzilla got overrun by women and ""wo""men who let the project stagnate. The community is among the worst of modern langs and it barely has support.
Things could have gone better.
>>
File: keks.jpg (9 KB, 239x211)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>84466361
>real language like c or python
>or python
>>
File: typical rust user.webm (155 KB, 480x480)
155 KB
155 KB WEBM
>>84466428
>>
>>84466452
kill yourself trannie
>>
>>84465698
Memes aside? It's a niche programming language, that's it, it's like asking if you are should learn COBOL, it's a language that it's so fucking rare to find jobs, and those jobs that are available are usually in very difficult spots to obtain, example, you require certain nationality because it's for a defense contractor, or it's for a financial entity, a central bank or something similar, places where you need certain documentation in order to go there, so.... unless you're a fucking super genius, have some money and time to spare, go ahead and become a rust tranny, otherwise, I don't think it's that great of language career wise, the language itself ain't that bad, the syntax is an abomination, but it gets shit done, but then again... most corporations pick C or C++ just because they will find better developers, for cheaper prices, they know the (((kind))) of rust devs they will find, if they ever find one... so memes aside? if you like going for niches, you may as well go to COBOL
>>
>>84466497
>you need to be a genius to learn Rust
Is this truly the current level of /g/'s intellect?
I literally just read the handbook and it clicked. If you really call Rust's syntax an abomination then I wonder what you'd call something like idiomatic Scala.
>>
>>84465698
>straight
>Rust
No such thing
>>
Since trannies breathe air you also are a tranny if you breathe.
>>
>>84465714
The complexity can either be handled in the language or the application code. The difference is that knowledge of a language is transferable whereas you have to learn how (buggy) application code implements it every time.
>>
no. trannys are not human, don't treat them like they are
>>
>>84465747
Can't wait for Python to dethrone C and watch the entirety of /g/ seethe and dilate
>>
>>84466761
nah, i use both.
i don't really see the overlap of usecases with python and C.
>>
>>84466414
We currently have to write python for a client at my job.
We have a roughly 1 million lines long set of data in csv files, which need to go into a db.
Colleagues wrote stuff to do that in python+pandas+sqlalchemy. Takes HOURS for the dataset to be transferred. I think I roughly measured the time for ~25k rows. It was about 7 minutes, roughly 2 of which was a batch write to the db at the end. And the 25k rows were the very first ones. Performance was degrading for a bit at certain points.
It is somewhat comfy to write. But produces shit performance.

I bet the same shit in rust+pola-rs+sqlx or diesel, or even just replacing pandas with pola-rs in the python implementation would grant a significant performance improvement. Pandas has apparently about 2% C-code. But that is apparently not enough to offset how slow shit will get if you use python for everything else.

So that anon is right.
>>
>>84465747
>Objective C is dead
>but Swift is only #16
Checks out, every new Macintosh app is some Electron monstrosity theses days.

>lisp at #28
no heroes left in man
>>
>>84466775
>which need to go into a db
Are there triggers on inserts? If there are a lot of integrated systems (e.g. AD) those tend to be the bottleneck. There's got to be something seriously holding it back, because parsing a million lines shouldn't take more than a few _seconds_.
>>
>>84466979
It depends on the line format probably.
>>84466775
If you don't want neither python or C, then maybe try C# or Java, as they are still relatively fast and slightly easier to write
>>
>>84466777
Swift is a native language, people just don't use it much for MacOS. It's basically an iOS app DSL.
>>
>>84466452
Rust needs a specification if they want to be a proper systems language. You need a spec, so you can have people create multiple compilers, so that way compiler output can be compared for security reasons.
>>
>>84466979
No, it's pretty much csv -> pandas -> python -> sqlalchemy -> goolag cloudsql. Nothing other than created and updated timestamps being generated by the db on the db-side. That I'm aware of at least. And nothing else on the python side really either.
I haven't looked super deep into it. People that have written it are currently not available, so I was stuck with the task of actually running the import. I only fixed what was necessary to have it run in the background while doing other shit I have on the table.
Maybe I will have a look at it with a flamegraph or something if I have some time for it.

>>84467098
I'm comfortable with C, wrote it at my previous job. And like I said, with python as well. Just the performance that I have been observing is not very reassuring.
Java is fine, also used at my current workplace. And I was in projects using it as well in the past. Though I probably would prefer Kotlin, if I'm going JVM already. Though I have just very little experience with it.
We also use go, which I'm not super against learning. If a project comes around the corner where we'd have time for that, I'd be happy to take it up.
C# I am somewhat interested in, but had some bad experience trying to set it up on linux like 5 years ago.
But privately, I just think Rust has neat concepts, that I like to learn and apply.

>>84467233
I think there has been an effort to kick-start that. But I have no idea where it currently is. Probably nowhere, or still very theoretical/speculative. I think this is one of the first "serious" mentions of rust in safety critical applications, where a spec is needed https://ferrous-systems.com/blog/sealed-rust-the-pitch/
>>
>>84467321
Fair enough. I personally like using other languages more as I am so used to brackets at this point that I just write python slower than some other languages. I do use it for webscraping though. beautifulsoup is one of a kind
>>
>>84467321
sadly any effort to spec rust is (trying to be) blocked by mob-tier parrots screaming about the compiler being the spec.
>>
>>84466260
>Rust if for those that tape their webcam or delete their google account every year.
Literally me. I'll now learn your programming language.
>>
>>84466260
>t wtf who gives a fuck about my code crashing its basically throw away program that wont be used in 2-4 years and be replaced by the next meme who cares.
Tell us how you never held a job without telling us you never held a job.
>>
>>84467569
As it should be. If people want to use something designed by a committee, they are welcome to learn C++.
>>
>>84468655
you are the problem holding rust back from getting out of memegarten
>>
>>84466465
based
carbs > crabs
>>
>>84466521
I was meaning to the fact that I as a third world citizen will never get hired by Bank of America or the pentagon, unless I'm some kind of super genious in the computer science, not that rust is for geniuses
>>
>>84468890
>Bank of America or the pentagon
So the Jew or the Glowies? I think I'll be alright.
>>
>>84467569
There's also the fact that some people have pointed out a few embarrassing fundamental flaws, and writing a proper specification will force you to deal with those

So it's "the implementation is the spec" like other meme languages like Python, etc.
>>
>>84470042
python is not "implementation is the spec"
it has a proper spec process with peps and multiple implementations.
>>
>>84465698
No learn perl
>>
>>84470751
or just kys, it's faster than perl
>>
Honest question. With C++20, smart pointers and all flags enabled by default in the compiler, what makes Rust and C++ different? Are there any major differences? There are also plenty of tools for memory leaks testing and sanitizing like valgrind that are extremely easy to use. Because most of the comparisons between Rust and C++ are mainly focused in that direction, where it seems to me in 2021 both languages are doing the same way.
>>
>>84470796
Perl is better than what ever language you use.
>>
>>84470827
nothing beats kys in terms of performance
>>
>>84470819

>what makes Rust and C++ different?
All the same shit that was already different between the two. The borrow checker, better error handling being standardized throughout the language, a proper fucking package manager...
>>
>>84470851
Shit language desu.
>>
>>84465747
>0,56%
This index is wrong, it's clearly at least 41%
>>
File: 1637801027927.gif (1.98 MB, 260x152)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB GIF
>>84470874
trust me, once you try to kys, you won't come back. it's a blast!
>>
>>84465698
Si t'as le temps de poster sur ce forum de merde, t'as le temps d'apprendre Rust.

Si tu te poses la question... Ça dépend de ce que tu veux.

La popularité ou l'utilisation du langage sont pas des arguments, sauf si tu parles de travail.

L'ésotérisme du langage (il est spécial) peut te faire travailler intellectuellement (ce qui est jamais perdu).

En bref, si le langage te tente, essaie.
De toute manière, personne va éclater ta porte pour te forcer à finir si ça t'emmerde.
>>
>>84470915
Shit lang desu. Perl is super fast. Regex are a standard. Perl loves you and doesn't force you to indent.
>>
File: yuroldlel.png (267 KB, 485x485)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>84470945
kys is fast AND modern, everybody will arrive at it eventually.
>>
>>84471009
Perl is modern, people still use Perl. You threaten me because Perl emasculates your sissy language.
>>
>>84471034
sure just keep writing your multi line regex and sprinkled with archaic nonsense.
you're probably just a contrarian refusing to even try kys.
>>
>>84467321
I'd heard of the ferrous project and it frankly sounds like a good idea if people are at all serious about getting Rust into anything that matters. Specifications create measurable performance requirements and expectations that won't change and vendors have to demonstrate that their compiler / software tools are capable of meeting them. Like how could a Rust developer make any guarantees about what their software is going to do in 2 years if the Rust central committee can just change what the language does.
>>
>>84471096
>contraian
PCRE is the standard. Don't make me laugh.
>>
>>84471154
says who? the perl skeletons under your floor board?
>>
>>84471162
Come out from your cave boy, all serious regexers use PCRE 2 now.
>>
>>84471162
You are just ageist. Python has made your generation weak and lazy.
>>
>>84466416
If it takes you hours then that's on you
>>
>>84465698
Yes
>>
>>84471180
python is for plebs, i switched to recommending kys for everything perl or python failed to do.
>>
>>84465821
rust isn't a systems language
>>
>>84471228
Then you are truly lost.
>>
>>84471173
why would i want to use a bloated mess of regex consisting of nothing but edge-cases.

kys abstracts that all away. it's extremely intuitive if your brain is already messed up from bending sideways using perl.
>>
>>84470867
>a proper fucking package manager
Kek
This shit is absolutely cancerous and is the guarantee that you are dealing with a meme language that is not serious about supply chain auditing
>>
>>84471249
>why would i want to use a bloated mess of regex consisting of nothing but edge-cases.
confirmed for never have used regex before. YOu need to be taught.
>>
>>84465698
literally no, unless you are are required to by some job
c++ and c# have more opportunities anyway
>>
File: 1637582576405.png (611 KB, 592x715)
611 KB
611 KB PNG
>>84471277
teach me then, faggot
unless, you can't even write simple regex without stack overflow.
>>
>>84465795
bassed
>>
>>84466260
>Rust is for schizos and it truly is.
>Rust if for those that tape their webcam or delete their google account every year.

woah. wow wow wow. Are you actually serious that this is what you thought they meant when they said rust is a 'safe' language? that it's to protect you against malware? holy shit kek
>>
>>84471327

my $str = 'teach me then, faggot';
my $newStr = $str =~ s/faggot/senpai/gr;

Am I going to fast for you?
>>
>>84471368
owo way more boilerplate than kys
>>
>>84471396
kys is pure boilerplate.
>>
>>84471410
> never even tried kys
> REEEEE it's shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdIP3hyxi3k
>>
>>84466465
what was it standing on?
>>
>>84465698
It depends on what you're looking for.

If you just want to make money, don't bother. Focus on languages like javascript and python used by thousands of people at fagam to mass-produce webshit. Companies only use rust on small specialized teams that are hard to get hired into (waste of time to try).

If you want to learn about low-level development, c is far superior. Way simpler, there are more tutorials and examples available, and you'll learn what actually happens when you make mistakes like "out of bounds access" and "use after free" that rust tries to shield you from.

If you want to expand your horizons, learn lisp or forth or something. Rust takes forever to learn but is really just c++ wearing a brightly-coloured wig screeching at people on twitter. (and a few ideas from ocaml but if you want those just use ocaml)

If you want to make a game or something, find an engine or framework that does most of what you want and learn whatever language you need to use it. Ain't gonna be rust.

If you're a proud member of the transgender community who enjoys screeching at people on twitter more than actually coding, or if you work for mozilla (but I repeat myself), rust is for you.
>>
>>84466761
Linux relies on Python and nobody cares. It's slow garbage but it gets the job done quick, no pointers to spend yet more time on free unpaid work.
>>
>>84471540
why
>>
Rust is a meme language. It offers nothing novel except something retarded, which is a half-baked static analyzer for a informally specified language, bolted onto the compiler.

It does not solve anything really difficult. All that energy would have been better spent either improving existing static analyzers for C, or improving the state-of-the-art in garbage collection. That's where the future lies, not in the middle where Rust currently sits. We will have 95% of the software written in GC languages, and a small core written in a very simple language, with formal proofs and static analyzers (the most secure and reliable software in the world is written in C, despite what Rust trannies believe).
>>
>>84471540
I think the only non-C dependency for the kernel is PERL lel.
>>
>>84471638
and rust is basically amazon disguised as a retard
>>
>>84471237
It is. It has manual memory management and zero cost abstractions, perfectly suitable for writing system utilities, drivers, kernels etc.
>>
>>84471755
rust's abstractions are only "zero cost" if you don't value your time
>>
>>84471755
kys can do all that and more
>>
>>84471755
It's a big language full of retarded gimmicks like C++ which precludes the use of any serious static analysis or formal proof tool.
>>
>>84471798
>>84471804
>>84471839
None of this implies that Rust is not a systems programming language.
>>
>>84471856
so is C, and you don't see cniles shilling C for anything that it's not.
>>
>>84471856
I suppose.
But I wouldn't use Rust to write avionics software, or a real-time kernel, or an embedded controller, etc.

That's what I mean by systems programming language.

But sure you can rewrite grep and top and other basic Unix utilities like the Rust community has been doing for the past few years.
>>
>>84471798
imbecile
>>
>>84471894
C is systems language just like Rust and people recommend it for pretty much same usecases. I don't get your point.

>>84471905
I would. The only reason why one might not use it for these things is some strict requirement of formal proof(rust belt is incomplete iirc, are there any C++ compliers with formal proofs?), but at that point you probably would be forced to use Ada or something.
>>
>>84466150
Underrated
>>
>>84465698
yes, cniles are seething
>>
>>84465698
I need a rust boiwife in my life bros
>>
>>84472300
In the Rust community, it's boiwives all the way down. Bon appetit.
>>
>>84472349
Merci !
>>
>>84472035
>are there any C++ compliers with formal proofs?

No at that's the point.
Formal proofs work with simpler languages like C.

There is a formally proven C compiler (CompCert, written by a team led by the inventor of OCaml) and unike the meme Rust belt stuff it's used for real-world applications.

Note that the Rust belt project has ended, and toward they end they published papers about other languages, once they figured out it would not work with Rust.
>>
If you're interested in what the state-of-the art in statically typed, GC-less systems languages looks like PL theory wise it's definitely worth a look. It's a true next generation language, even if it technically doesn't actually bring anything new to the table (not even the borrow checker), there is nothing else that combines the performance of C with a sound and coherent Haskell-like type system in the way Rust does. It's not an easy language, though, but the difficulty is somewhat overblown. The compiler is exceptionally helpful in the way it suggests turning broken code into working code.

Adoption among companies is aslo very high, just look at who pays many of the core team's salary. Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, all the big and not so big players have teams using it. There aren't that many jobs that explicitly ask for Rust, but if you're hell-bent on using it professionally there are enough options to do it if you look.

Downside is it comes with some globohomo social justice baggage, but personally I can easily overlook that. I have some github projects in Rust, contriubuted to some others and never had any issues with trannies stalking and cancelling me. In fact I've seen no obvious tranny at all so far. It's mostly straight (probably?) white males using it, as far as I can see, just like the Rust core team is 90% SWM, plus some chick and an asian guy. But I don't hang out on any gay-ass tranny discord channels, so YMMV. Their tranny CoC community governance team recently resigned because the core team wouldn't take theyr gay bullshit, too. I think that's a good sign.
>>
>>84467233
>Rust needs a specification if they want to be a proper systems language
Rust is for the most part defined by a set of RFCs, just like the Internet and its protocols.
The RFCs are on Github.
>>
>>84472468
Your post was almost good until you started this triggered /pol/tard seething

>globohomo social justice baggage
>trannies
>white males
>gay-ass tranny discord
>tranny CoC community

Holy fuck man get a fucking grip, this shit lives rent free in your head. You cunts claim to hate social justice but you spend more time seething and whining about race and gender than twitter does
>>
>>84466497
>Memes aside? It's a niche programming language, that's it, it's like asking if you are should learn COBOL
Bullshit, Rust is not at all like COBOL. Unlike COBOL Rust has been picked up all over the industry for new projects, which isn't at all the case for COBOL.
>>84470042
There are a few holes in the type system. Encountering them in normal code is exceptionallly rare because triggering them reqiures a quite convoluted sequence of operations and even if you do trigger one what happens can't any worse than UB in C. Unlike in C however, these things are treated as *bugs* to be fixed, even if it's happening at a slower pace than I'd like. In the meantime it would be nice if there were some way to check for those soundness bugs using the linter or in the compiler itself.
>>84470819
>compared do C++
Stronger type system with lifetime tracking, trait-based generics, usable tagged unions (enums) and a more reasonable way to signal errors based on those enums, great pattern matching, comprehensible syntax, non-NULLable types using optionals instead (again, based on enums). C++ has some advantages though, for example the template system is somewhat more powerful than Rusts generics. When (if...) GAT/HKTs ever land in Rust that advantage would almost completely disappear, though. Of course, there's also advantages that aren't directly related to the language, like ecosystem, libraries and the like, but I can't say I have found Rust lacking much, but YMMV.
>>
>>84472620
>pol lives rent free in his head
>>
>>84470819
Useful error messages
>>
>>84472729
>>84466497
> rust vs cobolol
kek
>>
>>84472741
>post like a /pol/tard
>heh /pol/ lives rent free in your head huh
>>
>>84472620
The politics behind Rust get mentioned here constantly. It's a fair point to raise. Despite your post, he's arguing against the /pol/tard standard of dismissing something out of hand because of its political association.
>>
>>84472808
>The politics behind Rust get mentioned here constantly. It's a fair point to raise.
Nah it's not, 100% of the "politics" are retards like you seething about le ebil SJWs or some shit, who the fuck cares man just write the fucking code and stop trying to check if people on github have a fucking dick or not. Next thing you'll be telling me it's really about ethics in games journalism
>>
>>84472846
>Nah it's not
It is because it gets brought up all the time. If OP is asking about Rust on /g/, then he's bound to have encountered overblown criticism that makes out as though the language is about to go down the drain. Point out that this is overblown is a good thing.
>>
>>84472620
>triggered /pol/tard seething
I'm not at all seething. Did you read the post? I'm super hyped and bullish on Rust.
Sure, I don't like forced social justice crap, CoCs, opinion policing, virtue signalling, etc. in general (if you do, why the fuck are you on 4chan?), but I can ignore it for the most part if it's not at the of the core product and that product is technically appealing.
Just because I don't like to suck CoC doesn't meank I think about trannies or whatever all day, unless it's shoved into my face, which in the case of Rust hasn't been the case for me, but I only interact with other Rust devs on Github and by reading the documentation they're writing, either stdlib, or external libraries, sometimes I end up reading some blog while looking up something specific.There is some slightly gay shit in "the book" and on their homepage, but as a Rust dev I don't see that shit shoved in the stdlib reference and the like. If there were annimay tiddies I'd consider that just as out of place even if I like it. There was some drama a few years ago that involved actual trannies (not "trannies" in the colloquial sense like I used, you stupid nigger), but other than that I read about trannies on /g/.
However, Rust sticks out for me because it was one of the first projects (that I'm aware of) that put so much energy into social issues, sometimes to the point of being detrimental of actual language development. Like at some point Mozilla had dozens of "community manager" job offers open while there wasn't a single "Rust language developer" job or anything like that. What the fuck is that?
I still hate them (the SJWs and their army of twitter parrots) for what they did for RMS, tho. That wasn't just annoying like a furry, but actually harmful. That has nothing to do with Rust, however.
Still. CoC team gone? Good riddance!
>>
>>84472846
>Nah it's not, 100% of the "politics" are retards like you seething about le ebil SJWs or some shit, who the fuck cares man just write the fucking code and stop trying to check if people on github have a fucking dick or not. Next thing you'll be telling me it's really about ethics in games journalism
But that's exactly what I've beein arguing in my original post which you accused me to be a /pol/tard for?
I quote:
>personally I can easily overlook that
>I have some github projects in Rust, contriubuted to some others and never had any issues with trannies stalking and cancelling me
(did you take that seriously at face value?)
>In fact I've seen no obvious tranny at all so far
I couldn't even find a fucking tranny after getting pull requests and contributing to some random projects! And you think I worry about them all day?
If anything, I'm arguing against the *virtue signalling* and trying to bully and coerce me (with force even, and some of them mean it seriously) into having a certain opinion. That is, even if I actually *share* that opinion in principle. Like I give a fuck who wants to chop off their dick. Who am I to judge?
>>
>>84472468
I get what you mean but i wouldnt be to worried about the core team. As you said big companies have to gain from the language so either they threaten to stop funding or they fork it.
>>
>>84472933
>I'm not at all seething
>I don't like forced social justice crap, CoCs, opinion policing, virtue signalling
>trannies
>nigger
>trannies
>trannies
>I still hate them (the SJWs and their army of twitter parrots)
This post could not be less self aware
>>
>>84472933
BTW nobody "did anything" to RMS and nobody harmed him. There was no SJWs, no twitter parrots, no nothing. It was a fat pedophile defending other pedophiles as he was already doing for 20 years straight, and then getting himself cancelled by harming his own reputation. The saddest part of the whole story was that it took the media that long to notice he was a pedophile apologist
>>
>>84473095
> pedophile
that's why he's in prison now
right?
RIGHT?
>>
>>84473124
He should be in prison
>>
>>84473145
but he's not, and as such is not a pedophile.
just people claiming he is.
>>
Inshallah I will learn this when someone makes an alternate like scala is to java (horrific syntax)
>>
OK U FAGGOTS still noone has answered should I learn Rust? I'm looking for the best language that compiles to WASM
>>
>>84473188
Except he is and he just hasn't been caught yet. I'll never understand what possesses you pedophile apologists to defend this fat loser to the death
>>
>>84473229
the same thing that possesses cancel mobs that ostracize because random faggots told them that they are
>>
>>84473073
Oh, I'm not really worried about the core team. I mean I'd prefer if they were independent of corporate interests, but since those companies are using Rust themselves improving it is in their own best interest.
>>84473076
Wow, I used mean words and sweared (on 4chan!) and there is some stuff I don't like because of reasons I explained, even if using somewhat crude language, that must mean I'm seething!
I know that /pol/tards bring up tranny shit more often than is warranted and I see it on /g/ more often than anywhere else and that it's more annoying than the actual trannies, dumbass. I have a distaste for both sides if you didn't understand it yet. But I only care in so far as I'm reminded of them in ways that annoy me because they're obnoxious about it. That is, trannies (not literal trannies you stupid gorilla nigger), or /pol/tards if you like, but they're only found on 4chan and not compatible with mainstream opinion anyway, acting kinda like furries did in their heyday.
That doesn't change the fact that the Rust project (like everything out of Mozilla) is dosed with annoying self-fellating virtue signalling crap that is annoying, just as well. How much the actual devs really care about it I can't say.
>>84473095
He was slandered, got kicked out of his home (well, MIT office) causing him to become homeless for a while and was kicked out of FSF as a result of that shitshow.
It probably has taken a toll on his mental health too, people accusing you en masse of fucking children and being a horrible person and really meaning it probably doesn't feel so good.
Don't tell me that's nothing.
>>
>>84473229
How do we know you're not a pedophile that hasn't been caught yet?
>>
>>84473281
There was no cancel mob. He is responsible for ostracizing himself. It's really sad how you freetards talk about "freedom" all the time but can't accept that a pedophile apologist takes responsibility for his pedophilic actions

>>84473289
He was not slandered, he was not made homeless, he was not kicked out of the FSF, and you know nothing about his mental health. Everything you said is a lie
>>
>>84473325
[citation needed]
>>
>>84473325
I was doing to reply with ywnbaw, then I realized that if you were a troon you'd probably be okay with child rape, so I'll just tell you to kill yourself instead.
>>
>>84473289
> people accusing you en masse of fucking children
Worst begin Epstein buddy or public defend Epstein.
>>
>>84473299
I am not RMS.

>>84473332
Citation is me. There was no slander, everyone knew exactly what he meant when he said those things. He wasn't homeless, his apartment lease ended and he needed to move to a new apartment. He was not kicked out from the FSF, he chose to resign from the FSF instead of apologizing for his pedophilic statements. This man never cared about your freedom, he only cared about his own freedom to defend pedophiles

>>84473353
Don't bother. You are a coward and a pedophile lover and can't face facts. Even in a world where everyone who opposed you killed themselves, you would still be a coward and a pedophile lover and you would be trapped living with the shame of your disgusting actions.
>>
>>84473289
>whinge about product dosed with annoying self-fellating virtue signalling crap that is annoying
>post multiple paragraphs full of rants about "tranny shit" "SJWs" and other stupid shit noone cares about
>actually thinks I care that you used "mean words" and I'm not just pointing out how you're a fucking idiot
I was wrong, this post is even less self aware
>>
>>84473416
you can't read, right?
>>
>>84473457
Least self aware post of the day
>>
>>84473325
RMS:
>“I am resigning effective immediately from my position in CSAIL at MIT,” Stallman wrote in a blog post, “I am doing this due to pressure on MIT and me over a series of misunderstandings and mischaracterizations.
>pressure on MIT and me
So he had no choice and was effectively forced to "resign". They basically just let him save (a bit of) face.
>>84473368
He lived in his MIT office.
People accused him of encouraging rape and child abuse when all he did was ask for people to not draw conclusions early and be precise in their use of language when it comes to legal terms.
RMS:
>“the most plausible scenario” was that Epstein’s victim “presented herself to [Marvin Minsky] as entirely willing.”
Which might very well be plausible even if just speculation on his part based on him knowing Minsky for a long time, it doesn't at all mean he's OK with little children, either.
There's also this
>Stallman also described the distinction between a 17 or 18 year old victim as a “minor” detail, and suggested that it was an “injustice” to refer to it as a “sexual assault.”
Which again, sounds reasonable to me. Fucking 17 year olds is legal tender on, like, over half the planet, even if you might morally object to it for some reason. But if fucking someone one day means damnation in hell, but the next day it's perfectly fine, what is that but an arbitrary distinction? And besides, if some hot girl who told you she was 18 or whatever (if you actually managed to contain your dick that long for even asking) and was seducing you by fondling your balls there is no reasonable definition of "assault" that would cover you dumping a big fat load into her. Who the fuck would think to ask for her ID card or whatever? She might very well have been forced and really unwilling, but not by that Minsky guy, or at least that's what RMS was suggesting. He wasn't saying there wasn't anything wrong with what happened. He was saying that the wrong guy was blamed for it.
>>
>>84473540
>He lived in his MIT office.

He lived at MIT. But he was never a MIT employee. He was a guest who overstayed for some 30 years, because he was close friends with some famous professors there and was seen as doing good stuff (Emacs, the FSF, etc.)
>>
>>84473778

Basically Stallman is the greediest person on Earth. He squatted at MIT, demanded access to everyone else's source code and data (true story; he was against passwords on multi-user systems because he wanted to access people's files). Me me me, give give give. He always had outrageous demands when doing conferences. I suspect he was raised as a single child who was always granted everything he asked.

Contrast to people who wrote proprietary software but eventually decided to share it, without forcing anyone else in their ideology (Carmack, Linus, etc.)
>>
commercially, no.
>>
>>84472416
https://ferrous-systems.com/ferrocene/
>>
>>84466775
polars has a zero copy policy. i don't think that pandas even gives a shit about zero copy and probably allocates useless memory too.
>>
>>84473817
>General availability is expected by the end of 2022.

I don't even understand the concept of trying to do a qualified toolchain for a language that has no specification. They're probably just trying to cash in on the Rust fad.
>>
>>84473856
Rust doesn't have a formal specification yet because of various reasons, but it still has a reference and the nomicon.
https://doc.rust-lang.org/reference/
https://doc.rust-lang.org/nomicon/
>>
>>84473936
>yet

You mean ever.
>>
>>84473936
I also like how the first thing you see in those two links is a big warning saying it's incomplete.

Fucking joke of a language. And it's not because things take time or whatever. It's because it's the language of choice of people who use it and its package manager to write basic utilities that could have written in fucking Python.

Nothing wrong with that but the delusion of Rust being a serious industrial language is a bit weird if the Rust community is not willing to pay the price, which is to spend time doing a lot of difficult shit that the standard committees of other languages do.
>>
>>84473963
I think that it will get a specification, but not now. It's expensive, time consuming and kinda stops the evolution of std and the language itself. Also the name "Rust" is trademarked so they first need to remove that.
>>
>>84473963
>>84473856
the microsoft memory safe lang will overtake it. What was it called again? I don't remember, but it'll happen.
>>
>>84474025
No, Microsoft research team did that so other languages can learn from it. Rust inspired for two or three things from it. Also Microsoft is using Rust now
>>
>>84465698
Why even ask that question? You think anyone here actually bothered to learn it? Of course not. Just keep pretending to use C like everyone else.
>>
>>84473778
>>84473791
>Me me me, give give give.
He has contributed immense value to humanity out of his wish to help others. Calling him greedy is laughable considering he has given away everything he's ever worked on at no cost.
>He always had outrageous demands when doing conferences
This one is actually somewhat true.
>he was against passwords on multi-user systems because he wanted to access people's files
He wasn't against passwords, he was against a tiny minority of elites monopolizing the *root* password, giving them oppressive control over everyone else.
>without forcing anyone else in their ideology
What do you mean?
He doesn't force anyone to do anything. He's trying to convince and argues his point.
I guess he's been involved in enforcing the GPL a few times, like in the Linksys case, but expecting others to honor a contractual obligation they accepted upon using his property is hardly selfish. Even more so when that obliation is literally that you share your code the same way the code you built your stuff on was shared with you. If that's not exactly the opposite of selfish, what is?
The only reason Linus and friends have not taken any legal action against GPL violators is because once the GPL was confirmed enforcable by cases led by the FSF, so they were able to pressure companies into cooperating in a more diplomatic way. Without precedent that would have been a lot harder, if not impossible.
>>
>>84465698
only if you wanna become a trannie
>>
>>84466761
Not in the embedded world atleast, have fun ruining the world webdevs.
>>
>>84473977
It's not like C is fully defined, either, although it does make clear what is and what isn'd defined and to what degree, at least. The gcc Rust frontend effort will might help shake out most of the missing gaps, even if not to the point of a formal verification. But as far as I'm aware the biggest issues aren't in missing specification for the expected behavior, but in proving that the behavior is actually correct as far as the type system is concerned.
Also, if Rust is ergonomic and usable enough to replace Python, how is that a bad thing? Python also comes with a package manager, btw. So does C in a way, but it's called rpm/dpkg/etc. instead.
C didn't have a formal standard for decades either and that didn't stop adoption or use in "serious industrial usage". Formally specified languages are the exception, not the rule. That said, with the existing documentation an independent implementation is not impossible. mrustc for example exists proving just that. It's able to bootstrap a working rust compiler from scratch.
>>84474266
You are deluded. There are entire *companies* specializing in embedded Rust development. Most things nowadays are networked, so of course to some degree almost everything is "webdev", even something like Amazon's firecracker VM even though it doesn't get any more systemsy than that, but this is the result of the computing landscape as a whole.
>>
>>84465747
>[image showing Python is the most popular programming language, followed by C]
>>84466761
>Can't wait for Python to dethrone C
>>84474266
>Not in the embedded world atleast, have fun ruining the world webdevs.
>>84474386
>You are deluded. There are entire *companies* specializing in embedded Rust development.
the reading comprehension on this board sometimes, I swear
>>
>>84466775
Sqlalchemy is the bottleneck. It's 100x if not more slower than standard sql statements with python mysql connector.
>>
>actual troon language
no thx
>>
>>84474386
>So does C in a way, but it's called rpm/dpkg/etc. instead.
Sure it kind of works. If you only have one project to work at, or a consistent set of libraries+version across your projects. But if you have projects that require different versions of the same library you usually run into problems with these, since they work on a system level, instead of per-project like cargo and poetry do.
I guess nix would be more apt. Pun not intended.

>>84475053
Just had a read, and you are probably right. Sqlalchemy says that using its orm for bulk inserts is bound to be slow. I don't think it's worth dumping time into that for the current task, since that is a one-off import. But we have another import to run three times a day in the future, with much more data which has to complete in ~7 hours. Don't have to worry about pandas on this one, since it is read from old db -> transform data -> write to new db.
Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>84472416
If C++ isn't formally proven and it's used for >>84471905 usecases, then the whole topic is irrelevant to Rust being systems programming language.

>>84473218
I've already answered you.
>>
>>84471486
C turtle
>>
Rust is the most basedest language
>>
>>84474386
C is fully defined
even UB is defined as in when it will happen

try harder niggy
>>
>>84476607
C++ has subsets that are proven, those are being used for aviation.
>>
>>84473540
The last time RMS lived at MIT was in the 90s. He was not homeless.

>People accused him of encouraging rape and child abuse when all he did was ask for people to not draw conclusions early
Wrong

"The nominee is quoted as saying that if the choice of a sexual partner were protected by the Constitution, "prostitution, adultery, necrophilia, bestiality, possession of child pornography, and even incest and pedophilia" also would be. He is probably mistaken, legally — but that is unfortunate. All of these acts should be legal" -Richard Stallman

"Dutch pedophiles have formed a political party to campaign for legalization.
I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children. The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on cases which aren't voluntary, which are then stretched by parents who are horrified by the idea that their little baby is maturing." -Richard Stallman

"There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that willing participation in pedophilia hurts children." -Richard Stallman

The man is a fucking sick pedo, you are defending a pedo, this is what "freedom" brought you and this is what you chose to associate with.

>>84474150
He has contributed nothing of value to humanity. Giving away communist propaganda for free is removing value from society.
>>
>>84478199
RMS is 100% correct.
>>
>>84478249
Thanks for admitting it's not just RMS, the FSF is full of pedophiles who agree with him
>>
>>84478311
Anyone with working a least half of the brain will agree with him.
All RMS did was provide some logically sound arguments for his views. You did not provide a single counterargument to his claims. All you did was merely quoted him and started throwing ad hominem on him and everyone around.
>>
>>84478444
>Anyone with working a least half of the brain will agree with him.
Shut up pedo. I don't need to provide a counterargument for someone literally saying child porn and pedophilia should be legal
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>84478543
>Shut up pedo. I don't need to provide a counterargument
>>
>>84478585
>Trolling by ironically pretending to be a pedophile
You've reached a new low, but it's not surprising for a low IQ freetard like yourself
>>
File: 18c.jpg (48 KB, 800x450)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>84478614
>>
>>84478688
Shut up pedo wojakposter
>>
>>84478761
>>
File: file.png (44 KB, 577x193)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>84478199
>>
Rust requires social media twitter mobs to intimidate people into using it / not criticizing it.
As the mobs power fades, rust will die with them.
>>
>>84466260
Wow, rust seems based af
>>
File: 1625694198007.jpg (686 KB, 1080x1036)
686 KB
686 KB JPG
The fact that Rust stirs up so much rage and insufferable whining should be a clear indication that yes, this is a language that will have massive influence going into the future.
Retards who learned C++ are afraid because they know it is superior and it will invalidate their years of autistic study.
It is still worth learning C. But Rust is the language of the future. Learn it.
>>
>>84466761
Pyshit is unnaceptable in software that matters
>>
>>84478825
Wow it only took 20 years straight of everyone pressuring him to admit it's wrong, and he still has it up on his website that the thinks child porn and pedophilia should be legal. This is what "freedom" brought you, this is the company you keep. This man is a liar and a con artist and a pedophile
>>
>>84465795
shut down your retarded b-0-t
>>
>>84472468
>It's a true next generation language, even if it technically doesn't actually bring anything new to the table (not even the borrow checker)
The borrow checker is actually novel. While it was inspired by regions in SML and Cyclone and access types in Ada, it is a different beast. In those languages, the scope of a reference is decided when the memory it refers to is allocated. In Rust, the scope of a reference is decided when you you borrow access to memory that already exists. Also, the borrow checker enforces the "shared XOR mutable" rule, which regions and access types do not address.
>>
>>84472468
>>84481610
The borrow checker was also influenced by fractional permissions from separation logic, but the accounting scheme is different; the BC trades away some flexibility, but it doesn't require as much annotation. This is why the formal model of Rust's type and lifetime system has been developed in the separation logic Iris.
>>
>>84465698
yes, all programming languages are interesting to learn but unfortunately time is finite and if you are a wagie like me time is even less
>>
>>84471588
>>84471685
Some package managers use Python instead of bash for some minor scripts. Try uninstalling Python in Ubuntu and tell me the results, kek.
>>
>>84465698
I tried to check out Rust in a "memes aside" way, but all I saw that it is unironically infested with trannies, so it's just the memes.
>>
>>84479316
I'm glad you are around, based reasonable anon.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.