[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: d41.png (289 KB, 600x572)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
I haven't needed to boost my computer speed since the 5th grade because I stopped installing shit and really only used it for youtube and certain games. My friend asked me how to boost his PC without having to add Ram/ other parts , just straight up delete shit for more memory. So I told him the tactic i used back in the day. Check Control Panel and uninstall useless shit , do a disc cleanup , msconfig to remove unneeded startup programs , delete everything from temp, %temp% and prefetch, but it sounds retarded , are there any real good methods to do this?
>>
install gentoo
>>
install ltsc
>>
>>84464614
I basically just re install windows.
>>
put windows on an ssd and put 8 more gb of ram if you're only running 8 for whatever reason
literally all there is to it
>>
>>84464614
It's worth it going through the AppData and LocalAppdata folders and removing older stuff that's sticking around, it's not going to make the computer go any faster but it's possible to get a couple of gigabytes back this way.
Other than this you could
>disable realtime windows defender
>disable spectre/meltdown mitigations
>disable unneeded services in services.msc (best to consult the internet on this)
>run
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

and then go Control Panel>Hardware>Power Options and enable "Ultimate Performance"
>buy ssd
>>
tell your friend to run this script
https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater
>>
File: smartbun.jpg (46 KB, 500x500)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>84464614
uninstalling 4chan does wonders for your computer speed
>>
install gentoo but unironically
>>
>>84464614
Install CloudReady
>>
>>84464614
download more ram
>>
I remember being a poorfag with 2GB memory and doing all of this shit.
>>
If you want to keep Windows, run a Debilitating script. There are plenty of guides, just look up "Windows 10 debloater." Generally speaking, you would also want to turn off animations as well...

Wbut as Windows gets more bloated, I will advice that you at least make efforts to switch to Linux. Ubuntu is actually going to have Microsoft support to the point where Microsoft uses it to run it's support. It is also compatible with proprietary cards so it is a good just works distro. You can also learn to configure WINE to run your Windows Apps...

If you are still not sure, just partition your drives and have the best of both worlds.
>>
>>84465978
I fucking hate phone posting.

Debloater*
Microsoft uses Ubuntu to run it's servers"
>>
>>84464614
reinstall windows every 2 years or so
>>
>>84465651
this, been using gentoo for 5 years now and my speed has been unmatched.
>>
https://calypto.us
it's focused on latency, but alot of the advice like debloating and disabling unnecessary services will apply generally.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.