[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Vim.png (113 KB, 1280x1282)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
I just need a /comfy/ IDE that I can use for learning how to program, i've used Atom in the past and that seemed alright. Are there any better alternatives?

>Is Vim based as an IDE or autistic?
>>
>ide
You spelled text editor wrong.
>>
vim is a text editor, nigger. you can however add vim key binding to IDEs
>>
Vim is a text editor. You build a development environment around it.

Emacs can be turned into something resembling an IDE but I can't recommend it because I never used it as one.
>>
>>84464439
Listen here you fucking flintstone, I have it on good authority that VIM can be an IDE, Luke Smith said so and he's never wrong
>>
>>84464489
That makes sense. Yeah the whole building of the DE turned me away from it, I just want a decent IDE man
>>
>>84464528
VSCode was made for people like you. Personally don't like it but hey to each their own.
>>
File: moleman.jpg (20 KB, 480x360)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>84464507
I was chanting Luuuuuuuuke.
>>
>>84464388
I can recommend emacs. The problem with emacs is that it has a steep learning curve, and getting it how you like takes time. You can try something like doom emacs for more of an out of the box experience. I personally based my own config on yukimacs, and it's very /comfy/.
However, If you liked atom, maybe vscode is what you're looking for. It's better than atom and you can get up and running with the language you want in just a few minutes
>>
Just use Doom Emacs. And don't listen to faggots who say to just make your own emacs config, none of them are able to replicate the autistic lisp man hours the doom team dedicated to making doom emacs run as fast as it does.
>>
>>84464388
Just use VsCode // atom or buy jetbrain shit.
>>
Vim is very intuitive and streamlined. I recommend it. And dont tell anyone I told you, but I unironically recommend Kate as well if you want a visual text editor with efficient hotkeys
>>
>>84464388
For what language?
>>
Try Eclipse. Vim and Emacs just aren't IDEs they are mere text editors with quick-buttons.

Also, usually IDEs are language specified. You cant get wrong if you decide to use the most used free IDE for that language.
>>
There are people on this board who think the power of vim is in which keys you use to move the cursor.
>>
VSCodium is alright
>>
>>84464847
Kate is based. There's a C/C++ IDE built-around Kate (also supports Java, I think, and has basic syntax support for like every language) called KDevelop.
>>
>>84464388
QtCreator + QBS.
Its all I use.
I am self taught.
It has FakeVim intigration.

Best of all worlds.
>>
File: deb_DE_mini.png (38 KB, 876x684)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>84467526
vim is powerful. Look at my neovim experience. power in simplicity
>>
Fucking hell. Nonses still going on about Vim and emacs. Vscode boofed both of them years ago. It's the only relevant editor now. Kiss my anus autists.
>>
>>84464388
Vim is the only productive non-ide program out their for programing. Emacs is a waste of time and is slow. The only thing hard about vim is learning it's buffer system and fixing or finding and alternative to netrw.
>>
>>84470679
and by buffer system, I don't mean just regurlar use of the buffer rather. Finding al the weird shit that can happen as it fucks up b/w automaps and functions, folds, and cursor postions.
>>
>>84470177
wrong
>>
>>84464388
>Is Vim based as an IDE or autistic?
Les deux. Si tu veux un IDE avec Vim (ou un équivalent), tu vas passer du temps à faire des trucs d'autistes comme éditer un .vimrc de 4 pages.

Mais fais-le, si ça te fait plaisir. Si t'as le temps pour poster sur ce forum de conflits de bouliers t'as le temps de te préparer un Vim confortable.

Le meilleur IDE, c'est celui qu'on utilise.
>>
For learning, I'd pick neovim a lot of support around it, and you will get over a lot of hurdles later down the line.

Personally, I think all beginners should just use a plain boring text editor to used to improving your coding accuracy, and go through the growing pains in troubleshooting your own faults without a program to hold your hand.
>>
>>84471010
>Personally, I think all beginners should just use a plain boring text editor to used to improving your coding accuracy,
I admit that I'm prejudiced, since my first programming course used FORTRAN on punch cards, but you do have a point. Part of the skill set for a decent programmer is the ability to find the problem when none of the automated tools can pin it down; and you don't learn that by relying on the automation from the very beginning,
>>
>>84464388
Dont use vim
Use neovim its like 999999 times better and you dont have to deal with niggerscript
If you want to see whats possible with neovim check out lunarvim
>>
jetbrains + vim plugin is the only way
>>
>>84470177
Actually making vscode is what killed vscode since it gave birth to lsp
>>
>>84472307
>Dont use vim
>Use neovim its like 999999 times better and you dont have to deal with niggerscript
this man can't use bash, laugh at his lack of productivity.
>>
>>84464388
bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.