[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.
Before asking for help, please check our list of resources and FAQ or take a moment to do a web search.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux, you can do one of the following:
>install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a virtual machine
>boot into a GNU/Linux distribution from a live image without installing anything
>dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS (they suck though)
If you'd like to _use_ GNU/Linux, go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
$ man <command>
$ info <command>
$ <command> -h/--help
$ help <builtin>
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos <something>
Check the Wikis (most stuff applies to all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org
/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/1041843

FAQ:
>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com
http://cheat.sh
>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix
http://overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/maine-speech.html
http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/dcm.html

Previous thread: >>84440013
>>
Switched to Manjaro recently, here is my comfy desktop. Using Patrick Hand Regular for my default fault, it is easy on the eyes and makes me feel good inside.

The only thing I don't like is the shade of green used for folders in my theme is too bright. But I haven't found one with a darker green that is as good otherwise. Is it possible to change the folder color and keep everything else? I use Xfce.
>>
>>84454043
If I use a libre distro, will Android USB tethering work fine on it? Is only temporary, soon I will get long ethernet cable and wire my desktop PC to the router.
>>
>>84453890
help
>>
>>84453758
Anyone?
>>
Does conky support tooltips or is it non-interactive?

>>84454132
Did you try updating mpd-git first?
>>
>>84454159
If I had an update, wouldn't pacman -Syu update it, or am I misunderstanding something?
>>
>>84454307
It's in the aur so no, you either used yay or built and installed it yourself. If you used yay I think you need to 'yay --devel' or something to grab a new git build.
>>
>>84454116
that is not possible with i3 config, you can try to edit the source code
>>
>>84454361
Thanks amigo, looks like mpd-git just had a unresolved dependency, so just uninstalling it fixed it.
>>
on a musl-based os
does not having a locale per se preclude me from using strptime?

>>84453778
>>
>>84454080
There should be a color picker in the system settings.
>>
File: 1604889658276.png (1.4 MB, 1132x1136)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
>Just installed Slackware
>jpgs are now being saved as .jpg.jpeg files
>mp4s are not being saved as .mp4.mpg4 files
What the fuck package am I missing that would cause this?
>>
File: 1632368471063.jpg (466 KB, 1920x1080)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>Want to play a VN through Wine
>Virus total flags the exe
I remember years ago hearing about wine will allow viruses to function, what should I do here, firejail, vm, sandbox, how do I go about this correctly?
>>
>>84455478
find a copy without a virus in it
>>
>>84455478
It'd help if you could find a version of your VN seemingly without a virus in it, though I guess you -could- just firejail the Wine instance if you're feeling lucky.
>>
>>84455478
>>84455649
yea, firejail would probably do if you set it up so it has no write access outside of the wine prefix, and also disable network access if the game doesn't need it
there's still some things programs can do, like if you use X11 then that has no security to speak of, but of course you wouldn't expect a windows virus to touch X11 (not even really sure if it can from wine, but my guess is it can, because wine is a very thin layer and also is not a sandbox or a security measure of any kind)
running from a VM is easier to do "right", if you're not confident you can set up firejail appropriately
>>
I need help with jack/pulseeffects interaction. When I start up my PC I need to manually open qjackctl, then open pavu and set pulseffects as "fallback" (ie default) device. Then run some audio (e.g. clementine) in order for the pulseeffects stream to show up in pavu, and be able to route it to "Jack sink (Pulse Audio Jack Sink)".
Anyway, I'm rather new to GNU/Linux and I would like to know if any kind anon could provide a startup script to automate the above process. I only know to write #/bin/bash sleep 5s && start qjackctl.
I know running pulse through isn't ideal but it works rather well and I must use both as this pc serves both for everyday multimedia playback (pulse) and low latency audio processing (jack).
>>
>>84456204
pipewire supports both pulse and jack clients, it might be worth looking into rather than running both pulse and jack
>>
>>84456265
This. Install the pipewire-pulse and pipewire-jack packages.
>>
>>84456279
>>84456265
Thanks, I guess that's the proper long term way to do it.
>>
>>84456327
Fedora's using it by default these days so development on it is getting more steady compared to where it was a while ago.
>>
What happens if I run rsync on a directory containing an actively downloading torrent? Does rsync just grab a snapshot at that point in time or does it get stuck because the file keeps changing?
>>
Hey /g/uys, I posted this in another thread but it was archived pretty quickly. I installed linux mint on my 2017 macbook pro to "test" linux out before installing on my pc. I also tested linux mint on a vm on my pc and in both cases mint seemed very laggy / sluggish. Maybe app load time was the same but moving a folder/icon or dragging a window felt like it was happening at 20hz while my mouse was moving at 240hz across my monitor. Any advice? Should I just try a different distro or is this just a feature of mint. Thanks
>>
>>84456382
Try one of the alternative Linux Mint variations, MATE or Xfce. Both are a lot lighter then the base variant Cinnamon.
If it's still laggy with those then it might just be your hardware.
>>
>>84456361
it'll just read what is there at the moment the file is read, it might complain that the file changed while it was being read
this is safe to do, however the resulting copy may be a bit out of sync with itself, like the file that tracks progress and the file being downloaded may differ, so you'd need to either stop the torrent before rsyncing, or re-check the file you copied in the torrent client to get things back in sync
>>
>>84456407
Why can't you just stop the torrent for now and then just restart it after you've rsync'd?
>>
>>84456418
that's one solution i mentioned
>>
>>84456407
>>84456418
>>84456425
I could pause my torrents but I have a rsync at 1am so if I leave a torrent overnight I just want to make sure nothing gets all fucked up
>>
>>84456470
it's fine
the worse case is the resulting partial download has missing/extra blocks in it, which is easily fixed by just re-checking the file in a torrent client
>>
>>84456482
>>84456470
-- also, if you want to make sure everything is in sync at a specific moment in time, then make a read-only snapshot of the filesystem and then rsync that
you will need something like btrfs which supports such a feature of course
>>
>>84456482
I'll probably just wait for it to rsync the next day
>>
>>84456504
one thing i do for things like this is simply rsync it now, then when i'm ready to close up the running filesystem, i rsync it again once everything is stopped
that's one of the reasons for using rsync over cp, you can update the backup, only transferring files which have changed
remember to include "--delete" so it can delete anything that disappeared from the source during that time (in your case things like ".part" files or even the whole torrent if you have things setup to put completed files in another directory)
>>
File: DSC_0894.jpg (3.75 MB, 5984x3366)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
I've installed Arch meme after using Kubuntu for a while and I don't really know in which way I'd like to set it up, convince me to use your favorite DE or WM.
The only thing I REALLY need is being able to use several keyboards layout (italian; french; romaji to kana japanese with mozc or something; english or romaji japanese because they're usually the same) and I'd like to have proper global keyboards shortcuts to cycle through them (possibly alt+shift because I'm used to this after years of windows and nothing usually uses that in dumb shit like games because serious programs usually do allow to change any shortcut).
I've used fcitx with mozc on Kubuntu and it was janky as shit and I hate it, should I try uim, iBus or anything else next?
>>
>>84456614
Can't go wrong with KDE/LXQt for Qt DEs or MATE/XFCE for GTK DEs.
If you wanna look up program ideas, check the Arch Wiki's long list of assorted applications you could use.
>>
How do I turn off this atrocious A, D, C rows of shit sorting like this in dolphin?
I can't fucking find the option
>>
File: and3dx8dpfj51.png (634 KB, 718x713)
634 KB
634 KB PNG
How to let my touchpad comfy? I just installed mint on an old laptop and the touchpad just fells kinda janky, there is no gestures and I didn't find any config about it, also evince shows some gestures in the command list but it won't work so I idk if its a distro problem? or a drive problem maybe?
>>
>>84456614
KDE
>>
Manjaro vs Endeavour... is there a difference beyond theming and default apps?
>>
>>84456402
So ive heard that before but im running a 3800x with a 2080 lol, could it really still be my hardware?
>>
>>84456945
In addition to this, that just made me think, does linux "prefer" intel platforms over amd? or does it not matter
>>
>>84456925
Endeavour is pretty much vanilla Arch installed via a helpful GUI installer with sane package pre-inclusion for an instant working system.
Manjaro uses it's Arch based nature to basically try to be it's own thing, do differing successes. Touting itself in the same way Ubuntu use to when it came to being Linux but easy to install and use. Personally not a fan, I like vanilla Arch more.
>>
whats a good lightweight simple 32bit debian-based distro? With good netbook support and good support for semi-rare hardware

TLDR: Beginner friendly debian for old laptop
>>
>>84456739
GNOME and GNOME-based DEs have the highest touchpad support.
>>
>>84456978
AntiX or LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition)
>>
>>84454043
I tried to navigate to /media/kali/OS/Windows/ with a Kali live boot DVD on one machine and got the error
>Failed to open directory "Windows".
>Error when getting information for file "media/kali/OS/Windows/-notepad.exe": Input/output error.
I then tried to navigate to /media/Mint/Windows/Windows with a Mint partition on another machine and got the error
>The folder contents could not be displayed.
>Sorry, could not display all the contents of "Windows": Error when getting information for file "media/Mint/Windows/Windows/-bfsvc.exe": Input/output error
What's going on here? Please help me understand the underlying concepts, I'm trying to learn Linux.
>>
>>84457377
You gotta install the ntfs-3g package so your Linux system can interface with Windows files. Dunno what it's labeled as in Debian-based systems.
>>
File: 1616642410485.jpg (237 KB, 1280x963)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>84457395
>ntfs-3g package
thanks fren, looking it up now
>>
I've been trying to get a separate home partition working on Arch for a while and I finally got it working but I'm unsure if what I did is a stupid hack. I set the owner of the partition (and everything in it) to be me rather than root, so the filestructure is now something like
/ (owned by root)
/home (owned by me)
/home/me (owned by me)
/home/me/[all my stuff] (owned by me)

Which level is supposed to be the transition from root to my account ownership?
>>
>>84457454
What you've done is basically own the entire /home instead of just your singular user's /home, so yeah what you've done is a bit hacky. Making a new user will be troublesome if you ever do.
>>
>>84457454
/home is meant to be owned by root
/home/(you) is meant to be owned by you
>>
>>84456951
does not matter in my experience and I own both
>>
>>84457467
>>84457476
Cool, I just changed /home back to root and nothing broke. Thanks for the help
>>
>>84457522
AMD and Intel both have open source drivers so they should both work normally

>>84457526
Well that's great. Remember everything on the system is owned by root besides your /home folder.
>>
>>84457539
I have a media drive that I'm currently mounting to /mnt/media with media owned by me. Is that also bad?
>>
should i use aurutils or a pacman wrapper like paru?
>>
>>84457605
Because you mounted it it's owned by you. It would be owned by root if you used mount with sudo.
>>
>>84457640
I love paru. Go with that.
>>
I don't know what did it, whether it was Xorg, amdgpu, wine or whatever, but the latest Manjaro update greatly increased fluidity of motion on games, there's no more constant stuttering, and now I can even crank some graphics settings. It's really quite noticeable and I can't believe I It also apparently fixed an xorg/xrandr bug that made video playback choppy when matching 24p with 24hz refresh rate.
The fuck.
>>
>>84457661
The Linux kernel had an update recently that had a small emphasis on increasing gaming quality.
>>
Sharenix doesnt allow me to use sftp huh.
>>
>buy cpu with high core count
>put my VM isolated in its own die
>performance goes up
Wtf I have no idea what I just did but it worked
>>
>>84456978
second for antix
>>
>>84454043
mathfag here. i applied for a bioinformatics job (also have a degree in bio). during the pre-interview the hr lady asked if i had any experience with linux, to which i unfortunately had to reply with no. assuming i make it to the actual interview, how far can i expect to get if i go balls to the wall learning about it and using it (suppose two weeks time)?
>>
>>84457941
There's plenty of learning resources to read and free online Youtube courses to watch. Start with learning how the filesystem hierarchy of Linux works then learn about the terminal and it's many included commands.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lCgcXP4dc

all the command tutorial videos are done by pajeet
>>
>>84457941
It's probably going to be much easier than you would think. I would recommend starting out with installing a simple distro (e.g. Linux Mint) in a virtual machine and just playing around, starting with GUI tools and then working your way into basic terminal usage (e.g. installing packages, editing files with nano etc.).
It only took me around 2 weeks of pretty casual study going from 0 knowledge of Linux to daily driving it, so you should be fine.
>>
File: 1635894803138-lr.jpg (409 KB, 1920x1080)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>84457930
3rd for antix
test drive it in virtual pc if you want t feel for it
>>
>>84457998
I found learning more and more about Linux to be kinda addictive honestly.
>>
Anyone know how to set KDE's scaling % via the terminal? Looking to script scaling changes without using xrandr as it looks blurry when using its scaling.
>>
>>84458311
Can't you do that in KDE's own control panel?
>>
i want to switch to linux instead of upgrading to windows 11 and have been playing around with different distros in virtualbox

the only things i use that dont seem to have a native linux counterpart are
>sharex
>equalizer apo with peace gui

anons have told me for sharex that i can configure ffmpeg for screen capture and audio recording with hotkeys. anybody done this before, is it easy to set up?

and any recs for a good linux parametric EQ, ideally with a gui at least for the frequency response chart
>>
>>84458327
Yes but the idea would be to just have one shortcut to run instead of poking around in a GUI
>>
>>84457941
similar background here, did you get an MS in Math/Stats/Datafagging and what kind of stuff did you put on your CV, what do you think they're gonna ask you about in your interview? Graduating soon and thinking about going down this path as well.
>>
>>84458311
try changing
[KScreen]
ScaleFactor=1.5
in kdeglobals. you'll probably have to do some smart stuff or restart plasmashell to apply it.
>>
>>84458375
https://github.com/Francesco149/sharenix
Here's a Linux/BSD native ShareX clone.
>>
File: cat.jpg (41 KB, 680x680)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Is this a problem with just my computer or does ubuntu 21.10 seriously not have fucking vim available in their repo?

Got this error:
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
vim : Depends: vim-common (= 2:8.2.2434-3ubuntu3) but 2:8.2.2434-3ubuntu3.1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>
>>84458480
>ubuntu
>broken packages
classic
>>
>>84458480
21.10 does have vim in it's repos.
Maybe remove vim-common and then try reinstalling vim and see if that fixes it.
>>
>>84458506
Okay, that worked. Thank you
>>
>>84457007
>AntiX
sounds good- oh wait
>https://antixlinux.com/
they say they're "anti-fascist", whats this political message for in a linux distro? lmao
>LMDE
how do i find the 32bit edition
>>
>>84458836
>Not using a distro because you don't agree with their politics
You're choice I guess. There's 32-bit download links for LMDE on this page.
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=279
Be aware it's based on Debian 10 with LMDE5 which is being based on Debian 11 releasing in the most likely coming months.
>>
>>84458859
i mean as long as it doesnt affect the functioning i guess its okay, but having some kind of political message in the frontpage of an OS is a red flag for me
>Be aware it's based on Debian 10 with LMDE5 which is being based on Debian 11 releasing in the most likely coming months.
i have no idea what that means but thanks
>>
>>84458869
Well then just ignore that then and get LMDE4.
By the way AntiX is a great Debian spin that's super lightweight. Pretty much made to make old computers work again while using up to date Linux parts.
>>
>>84457970
>>84457998
thanks fellas. i'll give it a go
>>84458421
i actually dual majored in biology and mathematics. i really wish i would have chosen something a bit more practical right out of the box. from my experience thus far, employers don't care if you have to capacity to learn something, or know the theory behind it. those days are long gone. they strictly want people that can immediately bring results.
as for the cv, i luckily had undergrad research under my belt, and some experience as a lab assistant. to beef it up, i added a section called "Relevant Coursework" or something like that, and included all of the statistics and computer science classes i've taken. make sure to put your github prominently on your resume and invite the hiring manager to visit it in your cover letter.
the position i applied for is sorta weird. it's called computational biologist. most positions like this require a master's, but this required only a bachelor's. my guess is because, few people know all biology, statistics and CS, and those that do don't stick around in bio all taht long (moving to more lucrative data science / machine learning jobs). i have no idea what they're going to ask me in the interview, but i definitely want to demonstrate that i've bcome at least acquainted with linux. i think they also mentioned something about clustered computing, so i'd read up on that as well.
>>
>>84456614
Check out dwm. You can install a prepatched version from GitHub if you don't want to add a bunch of patches, and then tweak the keybinds. Most comfy WM out there. Once it's set up it's truly set it and forget it.
>>
>>84456382
>>84456945
>>84456951
Shameless bump, but can anyone help me out?? Should I just switch to pop! debian? or can I fix this problem fairly easily
>>
>>84459109
>to beef it up, i added a section called "Relevant Coursework" or something like that, and included all of the statistics and computer science classes i've taken. make sure to put your github prominently on your resume and invite the hiring manager to visit it in your cover letter.
That's really smart, I can add my stats and bioinformatics coursework. Thanks for all the info, I think we have very similar backgrounds (bio/math, bachelors only), and goals. I was thinking about ML engineer type stuff or maybe trying to look for positions in biotech/bioinformatics related to it as well. Btw fwiw Shell/Bash is probably what they're talking about w/r/t Linux and it is piss easy to pick up and extremely handy. I used it in one of my classes on genomics and then spent the summer fucking around with some basic projects that also made use of shell and python and it was much easier than I thought.
>>
>>84459150
Give Pop! a shot and see if it fixes your problem.
>>
>>84459180
are mint and pop similar enough that I wont be missing anything?
>>
>>84459152
https://dev.to/awwsmm/101-bash-commands-and-tips-for-beginners-to-experts-30je
I love this guide. I learned so much about the terminal from this.

>>84459194
They're both derived from Ubuntu LTS so they're pretty much the same under the hood.
>>
noob here when I google "most popular linux distro" every website gives me a different #1.

STOP YOUR SHILLING AND GIVE ME THE REAL ANSWER
>>
File: 1537469671304.gif (912 KB, 500x320)
912 KB
912 KB GIF
Is this the right place to ask about wine/proton?

I'm having some weird issues with fallout 4 and custom proton GE. I got a dump of the the exact command and variables used to launch the game, intending to tweak this to launch Mod Organizer within the same environment. But the game refuses to launch this way, even from a fresh unedited dump. It only launches via steam.
This method worked perfectly for Skyrim, though that was using an official proton version, and it's a 32bit game.

If I can't figure it out I might just make some scripts and a mess of hard/symlinks to serve as a "mod manager" lol
>>
>>84459237
Well personally I think the best Linux distro is Arch, but it all comes down to preference and it's quite subjective. Best Debian/Ubuntu-derived distros would be Linux Mint and Pop!_OS. Best rpm-based distro would be Fedora.
>>
>>84459263
And the best built-from-source distro would be Gentoo.
>>
>>84459263
I don't want BEST, I want most popular.
>>
>>84459274
Well the most popular outside of the /g/-sphere would definitely be Ubuntu LTS. Some people think that's just what Linux is.
>>
>>84459274
The most popular is Ubuntu and it's no real contest. They've been making some real questionable decisions in recent times though.
>>
easyeffects doesn't work in background with i3
wat do?
>>
>>84459206
this a good place to start

https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

this a good place to get into the dirty details. they have a lot of bashism stuff there but there's a page that distinguishes what is and is not kosher for general shell on the same site.
>>84459274
Ubuntu is the most popular and what most people in academia and Windows VM use from what I've seen.
>>
What's a comfy static release distro? I used to exclusively use rolling (still use Arch) but realized I don't wanna update as oftenly anymore
>>
>>84454043
how do you use VSTs in lanuks?
>>
>>84459420
Has to be either Mint, Pop or Fedora.
>>
>>84454043
I need to write a small script. I do this all the time and want to be able to just execute a script from my personal ~/.bin directory.
I need to convert a string that was created by someone else for echo into a format for printf.
Can anyone tell me what characters need to be escaped with printf?
I know % needs to be escaped with %% but I don't know the full list of characters that need to be escaped.
Pre-thanks /g/.
>>
is linux mint or manjaro more beginner-friendly?
>>
>>84460555
linux mint is the easiest to use distro if you’re low iq
>>
>>84460555
manjaro, then arch
u wont regret
>>
Why the fuck everyone hates gnome? It's the only usable DE for me, even KDE feels wrong.
>>
File: image_2021-11-25_090336.png (41 KB, 1232x994)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>MUSIC PLAYER
>NO SOUND/VOLUME CONTROL
the power... of linux
>>
>>84457377
you shouldn't get input/output errors unless there's something wrong with the disk/volume
is there something wrong with it? or does windows access it fine?
>>
>>84459237
>most popular
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity
>>
>>84460838
>distrowatch
yeah ok, the literally who "mx linux" is totally what everyone is using
this page is really useless
>>
>>84460555
Mint is more user friendly. Manjaro is very easy to break.
>>
>Use transmission, right click any file and"open folder", always worked
>Install catfish in the meantime
>Now when I try to "open folder" it opens catfish
What the hell? I'm using xfce4 and debian 11, this doesn't happen with deluge as i tested it after. What's going on here?
>>
>>84454110
...no answers?
>>
trying gnome for a month now after switching from KDE (Fedora)
popping a couple extensions on and getting used to the flow and it's like
jesus this is so much better
more functional applications primarily, you get shit for code on the majority of KDE apps, while gtk just werks (with some assembly required)
>>
>>84461060
nvm fixed it with
xdg-mime default thunar.desktop inode/directory
>>
First time linux user and trying to use Garuda, tried Pop! OS and i hated it, Garuda seems a lot more straightforward for my tiny brain. All I want to do is get this easytether thing working so i can use my only decent internet which comes from my phone. I got an answer on a thread yesterday but I completely forgot to screencap it so i'm back to square one.
>>
>>84461090
Would you consider Android libre? Probably not.
>>
>>84461156
Gnome with a couple extensions becomes quite a fetching DE. Though that's the rub, to make Gnome actually good you gotta fill it up with addons.
>>
>>84461269
Vanilla Android? Of course not. Replicant I would consider libre.
Let's say I tried to tether my Replicant phone to a pc as network device.
Could that work? Are there drivers for it in Parabola?
>>
>>84460555
Linux mint. In fact, it is the best first distro for a windows user wanting to try linux.
>>
File: image.png (890 KB, 3840x2160)
890 KB
890 KB PNG
fucking hell why?
nothing works

even alt+f2 => r
>>
File: image.png (868 KB, 2396x1564)
868 KB
868 KB PNG
accept
>>
File: 1627707649674.png (130 KB, 354x310)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>84462257
>>
>>84462112
let me guess, an extension is breaking the overview screen?
>>
Wanted to try opensuse and there is option for online image installation. Is this allow me to pick want packages I want or not to install, or it will just download rest of the 4gb while installing, no questions asked.
But if it's pick what package you want to install how bad can I fuck it up?
>>
>>84462323
maybe, but what extension? i dont even know how to find it out
>>
>>84462464
it was dash to dock
lol why
>>
Is there a way to automatically change the output sound device for applications moved to another screen on the virtual desktop? I have my TV hooked up via HDMI and want audio to be output there if an application is moved to the screen and otherwise output audio on my PC speakers.
I run pulseaudio. Is pipewire any better at handling this?
>>
>>84460555
mint. It's honestly my favorite distro. It's stupid how easy and enjoyable it is to use. I respect manjaro and there's a lot of users (you get to use the AUR which is fantastic) but it always felt wonky to me, Mint is kind of a cozy boomer distro.
>>
>>84462562
The way Manjaro's in-built GUI for pacman deals with AUR packages infuriates the Arch team. They constantly have to ban it from downloading from it.
>>
>>84462602
To be honest with you I'm planning on taking a look at endeavour in the next few weeks as I've heard a lot of praise for it, it looks clean and simplistic to me which I really like, and apparently has a lot less of the wonk as it's closer to Arch proper.
>>
>>84462351
You can choose the packages during install
>>
>>84462637
Endeavour is just vanilla Arch with a great GUI installer. Manjaro tries way too hard to be it's own weird Arch offshoot.
>>
>>84462602
How so? The shitty GUIs in Manjaro/Arch for package management were part of the reason I stayed with Debian after testing both in 2015. Nothing I saw could hold a candle to aptitude.
>>
>>84462783
Basically searching the AUR through Pamac was like DDOSing it if there was enough requests.
Pacman (and AUR helpers like yay/paru) are made to be run through terminals. Pacman GUIs all suck ass compared to apt's ones like Aptitude or Synaptic.
>>
>>84454043
is there a way to make discover work with pacman and the aur?
pamac works and bauh works better but the ui fucking sucks
>>
>>84463323
Discover can just update your installed packages iirc. Please just install yay or paru and forget about these shitty gui front-ends
>>
If one has the nvidia optimus thing of both an intel integrated chipset and an nvidia gpu, what is one to do? Everything runs already, I haven't a clue on how to start testing if intel video acceleration is better or not. The void doc pages just offer info on the possibilities.
>>
>>84463426
but I like discover, because it shows pictures of the software and also user reviews...
>>
>>84463519
pacman packages and the AUR aren't like software stores, they don't have screenshots...
>>
>>84454110
Yeah probably, it just gets recognized as external network card (i used it on both arch/manjaro and debian/ubuntu, but as long as you have networkmanager/iwd or whatever it should work)
>>
No audio in programs
This throws up in the cli
Changing from sdl2 to openal throws the same error and results in no sound.
'c != NULL' failed at ../pipewire/pipewire-jack/src/pipewire-jack.c:3242 jack_client_close()
>>
File: ksnip_20211125-075856.png (410 KB, 1368x1381)
410 KB
410 KB PNG
How do I stop this? It's every single click of my g602 in arch. Can I filter it? Fix the error? The mouse works fine. Searching online I see old posts that all say it's fixed in the current kernel, and it most certainly is not.
>>
>>84454043
I'm trying to dd a linux .iso onto a usb flash drive, but when I try to boot from it, it boots a windows 10 installer.
The computer does not even have windows installed.
>>
>>84463773
Logitech: Not even once
>>
>>84454043
Best distro for tablets?
>>
>>84463819
what's the exact dd command you're using and what output does it give you
>>
File: 1637852923079.jpg (63 KB, 720x720)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>84463519
Stop crying and install yay!!
>>
Okay frens I think latest kernel versions are simply incompatible with my hardware. I'm getting freezes and stutters out the ass. Everything worked fine when I was on Ubuntu LTS. I'm on tumbleweed right now. Should I go for Kubuntu LTS or Leap? Other suggestions welcome.
>>
>>84463610
I see, thats sad...
>>84463879
I already have yay, thats why I cry
>>84463917
install an older kernel buddy, I dont think theres a compeling reason of why to not stick with an old kernel, if it works it works
>>
>>84464012
ughmmm.. why are u crying then??
>>
>>84463826
I'm open to just buying something else. Gotta have 10+ buttons though. Picrel works great but my tiny hands just don't fit on it.
>>
whats the main difference between terminals? i tried terminator, alacritty and gnome-terminal and see no difference
>>
why am I getting rate-limited on youtube-dl but not yt-dlp
and how do I temporarily use yt-dlp on mpv?
>>
>>84464211
--script-opts=ytdl_hook-ytdl_path=yt-dlp
>>
>>84464211
Wait. You can use mpv with a downloading app? How does this work?
>>
>>84464211
mpv defaults to yt-dlp in recent revisions

>>84464229
it's been an integrated feature for a long time now
>>
>>84464260
Ok. Well, I am pretty new to linux, and DT pointed out that MPV was a better video player than browsers, so I just use MPV by right clicking a video and playing it in MPV.

How can I download video with MPV? Is that the command
--script-opts=ytdl_hook-ytdl_path=yt-dlp
?
>>
>>84464382
the idea with mpv's ytdl integration is that you can open youtube links with mpv and stream them in mpv without needing to download the whole file beforehand
this also is not a linux thing, it's an mpv thing
>>
>>84464402
Ok. So it is yt-dlp that is the downloading part. I am curious why that would be necessary for use of MPV, then.

I have found MPV to just pop up after a moment and play video. What is the use of yt-dlp in this case?
>>
>>84464512
yt-dlp is a fork of youtube-dl
>>
>>84463773
blacklisted logitech-dj for now, generic hid works just fine
>>
>>84464527
I do understand that, but still do not understand it's function with regards to MPV, since I have not lacked the stream to MPV yet. Is it to actually download to retain video, and then associate them with MPV for playback, or something else?
>>
>>84464229
>>84464575
you can pipe anything that outputs a video to mpv and it will display it.
>>
I CANT USE TILING MANAGER
>>
>>84463873
sudo dd if=distro.iso of=/dev/sdc

15605760+0 records in
15605760+0 records out
7990149120 bytes (8.0 GB, 7.4 GiB) copied, 4991.77 s, 1.6 MB/s
>>
>>84464787
Ok. I don't understand why there is any need to pipe anything to MPV. All I have to do to watch a video is right click and choose MPV from the dropdown menu, but I'm a nub and willing to accept I do not understand many things.

Thank you for your attempt to explain it to me.
>>
I can't seem to launch files in wine independently. I have wine-staging installed. I can even launch games and programs through steam, but when I try going through the terminal and using "wine [file]", it doesn't work. I'm not sure if I need to reinstall wine or anything, but at the same time, I don't want to make things worse. What should I try?
>>
>>84464938
7.4gb? what

try this one dd bs=4M if=path/to/iso.iso of=/dev/sd(your usb letter) conv=fsync oflag=direct status=progress
>>
>>84465162
>7.4gb? what
I thought that was an issue with how I was running dd, but I looked at the iso, and for some reason it is actually 7.5 GB when it's supposed to be 2.6GB.
I'm redownloading it to see if that works.
>>
i just installed i3 coming from xfce, and i have really bad screen tearing issues. on xfce it had no issues at all, but here on i3 it does, and enabling full composition pipeline makes the screen feel like its going at half the framerate. any help?
>>
>>84465118
did you install anything but wine? like, dependencies for what you want to launch?
>>
I'm trying to use mpv with its --wid= option to set a n animated wallpaper. I can get it to work if I disable my compositor(picom), but that's obviously not ideal. If picom is enabled it obscures the entire root window with a grey plane. Is the a setting in the config that I missed or do I have to use another compositor?
>>
Is Docker worth using or is it a meme?
>>
>>84465162
I got it to work. Somehow my iso got corrupted and was 3 times bigger than it should have been.
No idea how it became a (broken) windows installer though.
>>
>>84464973
the reason is that you don't have to download the whole file if you want to watch some section. you also get some cache to be able to rewind livestreams (although there's a rewind userscript that works better). two reasons why i sometimes use mpv for youtube is to be able to screencap with a hotkey, and to be able to clip some moment with mpv-webm. and it also has about the same use cases and firefox's picture-in-picture
>>
>>84454043
i must express my deepest gratitude for getting of the loli train with OP pic.

thank you.
>>
how to stop using dash to dock fuck
>>
>>84465586
Can you do productive stuff with it? Yes. Is Docker an optimal solution for anything? Not unless you're running a server farm.
>>
Why does this happen multiple times a day? It's a photo because everything is frozen. How to debug I'm retarded.
>>
>>84465895
I wanna dedicate this song to you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts
>>
Is upgrading to a new distro revision by altering my sources and letting apt handle the rest a bad practice? I tried it and it broke pihole
>>
>>84465586
i use it to run dev stuff like DBs. like, i don't need DBs to run constantly on my system and i'd like to be able to switch between versions. for a personal server that only runs like 3 services and doesn't give a shit about versions you might not need it, but i'd use it for unpackaged shit from github with dependencies that are unavailable in distro's repos.
>>
>>84465895
and whatever Transmission-gt is, get rid of it.
100% cpu usage yeah nah
>>
>>84465741
there's also a sponsorblock script
>>
It's transmission retard, it's downloading a file. It's also not the cause. Top shows 100% cpu usage even if it's only 1 core at 100%. I think it's systemd journal and/or aerdrv.
>>
>>84465895
Looks like a hardware problem. Does anything interesting get written to journalctl -e after the lockup happens?

>>84465995
>journald 96% cpu
>kernel irq handler 94% cpu
>steam 91% cpu
Yeah, get rid of all that shit.
>>
>>84465895
you seem to be verifying all your porn torrents bro
>>
>>84465961
That's the thing with Docker though. You can do all that with bwrap or just feed a dockerfile to podman. Full fat Docker only makes sense if you need to automatically alter provisioning across a network.
>>
>>84466043
>Warning: cpu random number generator is failing
>some errors about not being able to open a film even though I never tried to play anything
>some kde and qt errors
I have no idea
>>
Is there a way to boot a live image from an HDD? I'm stuck on a PC with a single HDD and no access to any kind of flash device
Wanted to replace this windows install with arch
>>
>>84466278
Burn the iso to a dvd
>>
>>84466373
Don't have blank DVDs or CDs around
>>
>>84465741
Thanks! I appreciate being less clueless.
>>
>>84466378
your gonna have to run a VM for linux then
>>
>>84466011
Does that bypass when someone is talking about the VPN service that sponsors them and stuff like that?
>>
>>84466425
not him, but yes it does.
>>
>>84466444
That is pretty neat.
>>
>>84466418
nigga what?
just use usb or sd or PXS netboot or ...
>>
Having some issues with Dolphin under awesomewm.
First, the integrated terminal doesn't load the Fish shell correctly.
For instance my aliases are not recognized.
It's like it's not reading the config file.
Also, the icons (breeze-dark) are not working.
I use qt5ct to set a theme, and it works except the icons.
This happens on Dolphin or Audacious.
Any ideas?
>>
>>84466603
he said he didn't have a flash drive. Not sure what a PXS netboot is, I assume that similar to a PXE (pre-installation environment) didn't hear him say he had a network of pc's either.
>>
>>84466672
yeah sorry, i meant PXE
>>
>>84466656
try using a real wm and terminal
>>
File: 1636496250111.jpg (152 KB, 1024x1019)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Happy thanksgiving anons! I'm thankful for you and the help this thread has to offer.
>>
>>84466723
Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Anon, and I also am grateful for this thread and the kind help of good people.
>>
>tl;dr: What can I do to get the actual current size of a file that's being downloaded by qBittorrent?

I want to wait for a torrent download to be complete, then have the script do things.

i tried stat but it returns the complete file size as soon as the last piece is downloaded, even if those before have not.
du -B 1
gives a closer file size, but once the torrent is complete the size on disk estimation will differ from the actual file size reported in the .torrent file.

qBittorrent does have the option of keeping files in a separate directory while they're incomplete or changing their extension while they're incomplete but that is not ideal for me because I'd like to be able to read the torrent files while they're being downloaded, to rename/move them would cause a disruption.

qBittorrent does also have the option to run a script on torrent completion, but it applies to all torrents.
>>
Could someone explain to me what exactly happens when arch breaks?
Like, I understand that usually when people say arch broke, they're referring to doing pacman -Syu, and the dependencies fucking with each other, but I don't really understand how it happens?
And on this note, I've been using arch for a couple of months now, maybe three, and I basically update every day, how much of a chance is there that it'll break for me?
>>
I've just created a very small and simple script to
take a screenshot of a selected area using scrot:
#!/bin/bash
scrot -zs 'Screenshot_region_%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S.png' -e 'mv $f /home/ilprof/Pictures/Screenshot_regions/'

notify-send --icon=/home/ilprof/Pictures/Icons/camera-solid.svg 'System Info' 'A new partial screenshot is ready!'

If I execute the script on the terminal it lets me interactively select a portion of the screen, like it's supposed to do, but if I set this script to a keyboard shortcut and I press the keys, the command doesn't work, although I still get the notification message. Do you have any idea on how I could resolve this issue? I'm using GNOME 3.36.8.
Oh, in case you need to know, a similar script with scrot works just fine.
>>
how to set up grub when installing arch?
>>
>>84466874
did you try creating an "EFI" directory in /dev/sda1? (which i'm assuming is your efi system partition aka ESP)
If it exists the grub-install tool probably can't detect your ESP for whatever reason, nudge it in the right direction with the --efi-directory command line option. Set it to wherever your ESP is and it should work fine.
>>
>>84466874
lel
>inb4 arch users telling how noob friendly arch installers are or just use manjaro kek
>>
>>84466901
>wherever your ESP is
wherever it is mounted, i meant.
>>
File: screen.jpg (15 KB, 813x85)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Why doesn't japanese characters display properly on my Linux terminal? Tried on st and Alacritty.
They show up in Firefox and Chrome.
>>
>>84466723
Cute goth child
>>
>>84466931
use a unicode font with support for CJK, like unifont or noto
>>
>>84467037
I did it, but it doesn't work. Moreover, if it was a font issue, wouldn't I've got triangles with question mark?
>>
>>84467037
Oh, it doesn't happen if i press tab after typing ls (using bash if it matters), but if I type ls and press enter it become like >>84466931
>>
>>84455237
install gentoo
>>
File: 1613972208914.jpg (512 KB, 1541x1151)
512 KB
512 KB JPG
>>84467213
>>
>>84466129
>Warning: cpu random number generator is failing
amd? https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/how-a-months-old-amd-microcode-bug-destroyed-my-weekend/
>>
New to linux. Installed mint. Any decent video editors?
>>
Anyone in here bought a Tuxedo notebook?

How is the quality? I need to upgrade my thonkpads
>>
Can someone explain to me or point me where to read about how distos not based off something big like arch or Debian get software? Like even Ubuntu doesn’t have all the Linux software I would want so how does some independent os like void or mix stand a chance?
>>
>>84467528
Kdenlive
>>
>>84467528
blender if you have the time to figure out it's interface.
>>
>>84467528
shotcut. its not amazing but its leagues better than kdenlive
>>
>>84466820
>I want to wait for a torrent download to be complete, then have the script do things.
use transmission, then use transmission-remote in a cronjob to check if niggy.torrent is 100% or not, and run the script if it is
>>84466863
known problem niggy, i don't remember what exactly was fucked but
basically you either need to add a delay or use a better keybind daemon
so you either bind shit like sleep 0.2; scrot -s niggy.png or put this in sxhkd
~ctrl+period
$HOME/scripts/take-screenshot.sh

~ at the beginning is essential, see man sxhkd
>>84467213
did you get that directory by unzipping?
post result of
printf "%s\n" 'チルノのパーフェクトさんすう教室'

>>84467574
they just build it nig
>>
>>84467482
I was getting errors at boot about this too. Thanks I'll try and see if msi has an update.
>>
i cant connect to the internet...
np-applet systray just spins and sometimes connects but mostly just spins and cant connect to internet
ip a shows that my interface is down...
3: wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 18:d6:c7:1b:16:d9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

but when i connect to a wifi hotspot its fine
3: wlp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 18:d6:c7:1b:16:d9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.43.164/24 brd 192.168.43.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlp3s0
valid_lft 3077sec preferred_lft 3077sec
inet6 2a00:f41:843:4837:bfb3:e166:7dbc:2da/64 scope global noprefixroute
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 fe80::678b:ea24:fc4c:eeae/64 scope link noprefixroute
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

and it works fine
>>
>>84467811
so it works fine,
what's the problem again?
>>
What exactly do the multiple distros do? Is it just a bunch of pre-installed things for different types of people on top of the GNU/Linux foundation? Like what really is the difference between using Fedora versus Debian? Or Ubuntu versus Arch Linux? Can't you accomplish the exact same thing on any of these? Basically, just what you want pre-installed for convenience?
>>
>>84466874
show fdisk -l
>>
>>84467844
no
i want to connect to the wifi from router, not mobile hotspot from my phone
but i cant
i have laptop with the same distro (debian 11) but here wifi works fine, just another name of the network device
>>
>ping 4chan.com
>>
>>84467917
repositories, location of system files, default software
some default software is integrated very tightly and you will not be able to remove it without fucking the system
>>84467929
maybe some logs niggy
>>
File: 1491371592506.gif (1.93 MB, 235x240)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
>tfw you realize GNOME is actually good
>>
This might be a super specific question, but do you guys know how to control a cnc router on linux?
The router comes with a sub drive with the software and driver but it's only for windows. The linux software I could find, linuxcnc, can't even be installed on Arch and it doesn't operate cncs via USB and candle doesn't even recognize the cnc qhen connected, likely due to the need of that one windows only driver that came with the machine.
The control board uses GRBL if that helps.
>>
>>84467929
maybe your router is bailing out
>>
>>84467961
>logs
how?
>>
>>84456614
vanilla gnome is the only serious answer. Any other desktop is just hobby shit.
>>
How do I run the same ffmpeg command on this folder (or any folder with an arbitrary set of files I want to run some operation on?)
Is there a generic Python script someone has handy that I could use?
>>
>>84468081
find ./ -type f -exec path/to/script.sh {} \;

>>84468004
>>84467961
sudo dmesg
[ 2106.509517] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 1/3)
[ 2107.822659] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 2/3)
[ 2108.750623] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 3/3)
[ 2109.742522] wlp3s0: authentication with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 timed out
[ 2137.761406] wlp3s0: authenticate with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87
[ 2137.774804] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 1/3)
[ 2138.828171] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 2/3)
[ 2139.519137] wlp3s0: authenticated
[ 2139.520007] wlp3s0: associate with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 1/3)
[ 2140.812035] wlp3s0: associate with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 2/3)
[ 2141.771935] wlp3s0: associate with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 3/3)
[ 2142.763878] wlp3s0: association with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 timed out
[ 2170.004059] wlp3s0: authenticate with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87
[ 2170.017543] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 1/3)
[ 2170.762434] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 2/3)
[ 2170.870383] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 3/3)
[ 2171.754367] wlp3s0: authentication with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 timed out
[ 2175.895477] wlp3s0: authenticate with 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87
[ 2175.909147] wlp3s0: send auth to 82:2a:a8:b1:fc:87 (try 1/3)
>>
>>84468081
>>84468081
meant this set of files

Serial Experiments Lain - E01 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E02 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E03 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E04 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E05 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E06 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E07 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E08 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E09 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E10 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E11 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E12 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
Serial Experiments Lain - E13 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv
>>
>>84468117
or
ls * | xargs -I{} ffmpeg -i {} output_{}
>>
>>84468104
>>84468149
do these 2 commands run ffmpeg consecutively?
>>
If Linux requires Pulseaudio to play multiple sound sources, how come I can use speaker-test and aplay at the same time without installing anything else?
>>
File: 1621294233003.jpg (435 KB, 740x480)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>>84467963
>...for me to poop on.
>>
>>84467695
Why the fuck is msi like this?
>put update on stick
>go into m-flash
>Black screen
>Reset button doesn't work have to hold power button to shut down
>won't boot at all now only black screen
>have to remove cmos for it to work again
>now mflash boots fine
>>
What is the best tiling WM extension for a normal desktop environment?

I like the Pop OS shell but I don't really like Gnome or Pop OS that much. Is khronkite any good
>>
>>84468104
just use a glob
for f in ./*.mkv
do
ffmpeg -i "$f" [...]
done

if you want to run ffmpeg in background, finish the command with ampersand &
>>84468149
the fuck are you doing nig
>>
File: 1555784952295.png (206 KB, 450x295)
206 KB
206 KB PNG
I remember there was a page on xfce showing how to set up a script to show thumbnails on folders with Thunar but I can't find it anymore
>>
>>84468289
Good Lord, I just checked my bookmarks and found it, but it was deleted: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/tumbler#customized_thumbnailer_for_folders
WHY
>>
>>84468223
Oh and I can't get into my DE now fucking great
>>
sudo apt-get install steam
>>
>>84468200
KuckDE, nobody asked you
>>
>>84468289
>>84468309
You can check the old revisions of the page with the link on the right. Here's the last revision before it was deleted
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/tumbler?rev=1598774013
>>
>>84468372
Stop shilling worthless bloat.
>>
>>84468326
And my home folder is now empty. WHAT THE FUCK.
>>
>>84468190
because nobody said that ever
>>
>>84468190
The selling point was that the sources could be controlled independently, so you can adjust the volume per source, instead of system-wide
>>
Are snaps big enough a deal to warrant switching away from Ubuntu? Ive used a ton of distros and I still like Ubuntu. I just don't know if its a meme.
>>
>>84468392
This time I made a proper backup, thanks.
>>
>>84468634
you don't have to use snaps (yet), once they push lots of packages on snap, id switch back to debian.
>>
Are any of the Id Software game sources good learning material for Linux system programming? I realize that they are old, but I don't want to waste time on shit abstracted through the roof with SDL and whatnot.
>>
There was this image ( 4chan screenshot of a post ) of some guy saying that foss devs sometimes are purposely doing stuff wrong or not doing stuff to fuck over free software can someone post the image? It's a post from back in 2013 or smth.
>>
>>84468850
it's a game, not system programming...
so they probably are not a good example, except if you want to learn how to do dos/realtime programming
>>
Trying to switch from systemdboot to GRUB, and the Arch Wiki has the following for its second step:
>Choose a bootloader identifier, here named GRUB. A directory of that name will be created in esp/EFI/ to store the EFI binary and this is the name that will appear in the UEFI boot menu to identify the GRUB boot entry.
What is a bootloader identifier? Is this something you do while partitioning your boot drive? The videos I've seen of GRUB installation all skip this step.
>>
>>84459550
you can have native VSTs
but LV2 and LADSPA plugin formats are also popular
>>
>>84458836
>they say they're "anti-fascist"
are you not?
>>
>>84469130
systemdboot?
wats dat?
>>
>>84459550
use something like carla.
https://kx.studio/Applications:Carla
>>
>>84468910
System as in interfacing with it, not actually creating it.
I guess it would be the equivalent of learning WinAPI.
>>
>>84469152
>>84469340
thank
>>
>>84469152
with
>>84469340
you can even use windows VST mostly ootb (uses wine-asio)
>>
>>84469324
No I'm a nazi
>>
File: 93202889.webm (1.59 MB, 1414x1000)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB WEBM
I found a project I am interested in on github that basically acts as man in the middle between a certain program and the servers it connect to.
The thing is it works with python:
curl <url of the script> | python

How can I make my local server run this script on start? Is wrapping that one line in a shell script and then using systemd enough? And what if I want to check the terminal output to see if it throwing errors without me knowing?
>>
>>84469130
The name that shows up in the UEFI when you go to change boot order or select boot device. You can name it whatever you want
>>
>>84469520
just download the script and daemonize it
why would you want to run the curl line every time?
for output just redirect the stderr to a file
>>
Trying Q4OS in a VM. TDE looks fucking great with modern fonts. Pity more things won't use their fork of Qt3 for graphics.
>>
>>84469589
>redirect the stderr to a file
Would that badly affect my server? I called it local server but in fact it's just a raspberry pi. I fear I might damage my sd card by writing output all the time to a file. Am I being too cautious?
>>
>>84469556
So I'd change that with efibootmgr, I presume. Thanks, bro.
>>
>>84469675
Yes, you're being paranoid. Literally every daemon does this by default. A few megs a day of logs (which is exceedingly large for a logfile) is nothing for an SD card's life.
>>
>>84468260
shit this is way nicer than those other 2 methods, I prefer it when things are readable
thanks anon, this is exactly the kind of thing i was after, even better that i don't need to rely on python
>>
>>84469698
Thank you for your tips. While trying to set everything up I bumped into an issue. The console outputs an error saying
Chain 'MASQUERADE' does not exist

While looking for solutions I found that iptables is being replaced by nftables. Should I simply swap program? It is the first time I mess with networking and routing and I am lost
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s <local_ip> -o <device_name> -j MASQUERADE
>>
>>84469777
Nevermind I am dumb. I obviously need root permissions..
>>
>>84454110
Try one or many using Ventoy by dropping some .isos on a USB drive to find out.

Ventoy is insanely nice. I Ventoy'ed a spare SSD and boot that externally for data rescue and rescue .iso testing.

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

It didn't work for two WinPE spins but every Linux .iso I threw on it booted perfectly. I previously used mkusb and Balena Etcher which I keep in case of need but Ventoy effortlessly makes multiboot drives.
>>
>>84455478
Many cracks are flagged by AV despite being harmless. Being lazy I run all my Winshit in snapshotted VMs so I can revert to a clean install if a crack doesn't work or if dislike the application.

Warezing since 1999 with zero problems long before VMs. (I used separate hdd with swap racks back then.)
>>
>>84468104
you can try changing to iwd like the guy says here https://superuser.com/questions/911635/wifi-authentication-times-out
>>
>>84459150
I'd download a bunch of prebuilt VMs from osboxes.org or similar and compare them. Beats loading your own just to test. (I'm lazy therefor efficient.)
>>
>>84459237
Real answer is pick a common STABLE distro and use it as a host and get comfy with Linux commands. DEs are secondary and noobs (and most oldbs) don't need bleeding edge shit for a main. VMs are where to distrohop efficiently.
>>
>>84461224
I've tethered effortlessly to various 'buntus for many years. Pick an LTS and stick with it. You can add or swap DEs as desired.
>>
has anyone here succesfully replaced jack with pipewire? is it good enough already? how's the latency compared to just jack? also what about midi?
>>
>>84469589
>for output just redirect the stderr to a file
Would something like this do the trick?
python3 myscript.py >/tmp/output.log 2>&1
>>
>>84469921
thank you for your service
>>
>>84470073
that redirects both stdout and stderr to the file, and it will truncate every time your file is opened for writing and then closed
to redirect only stderr to file with appending
nig.py 2>>/tmp/output.log

file descriptor 1 is stdout, 2 is stderr
you can add a shebang and make the nig.py executable to just call it directly
>>
File: I_got_this.png (76 KB, 400x400)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>84466043
>>
>>84470118
I think the service is working because I managed to connect but I think I also need to add stdout to the logs because that's where the debug lines are showed. Can I somehow merge stdout and stderr in the same log?
>>
>>84470306
well yeah just use the same line you did, but with >> instead of >
nig.py >>/tmp/output.log 2>&1

is basically redirect stdout to write-append to file, and duplicate stderr into stdout
you can think of file descriptors as cars on lanes of sorts, at least i like to think of them this way
so here we put a car stdout into /tmp/output.log lane, and then we say that the car stderr goes onto the same lane as stdout. so logically, both cars will pass the same tunnels for example, but are still two separate cars
>>
>>84470370
Am I doing something wrong?
ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 myscript.py >>/tmp/myscript.log 2>&1

The output file is empty but the output shows in journalctl
>>
>>84454110
Ya I used to do it on my mint laptop when my Wi-Fi card died, should be good.
>>
>>84468081
personally like doing something like this
find [dir] -type f -iname "*.[file ext]" -print0 | xargs --null --max-procs=0 -I{} sh [shell script] {}

shell script expects just one file, but with max-procs it does multiple files in parallel. typically use this to convert a mpd playlist from flac over to opus so i can move it to my phone. have some big playlists so not doing it in parallel would take too long.
>>
>>84470453
you can't redirect things in systemd shit like this
unfortunately herr poeterring demands that everything systemd is written to journal, i don't think there's a way around that
you could maybe write a shell script that has this python line in it, and call this script in the service instead. but then there would be no log in the journal. you could also duplicate the file descriptors in that script so it goes to output and files simultaneously i think. not sure if you want that
>>
>>84469481
Why?
>>
>>84468634
Canonical are slowly more and more testing the waters when ti comes to making a majority of it's included programs Snaps by default. First it was when they made apt only install Chromium as a Snap and now they did the same thing to Firefox with 21.10. Who knows how much more of the system they're gonna make into Snaps later on.
>>
>>84470562
As a workaround I think I can just use journalctl sorted by new and read it like that. Is there any way I can make it auto update so that it can act as a 'watch' command?
>>
>>84454043
Is it possible to use AwesomeWM as a floating window manager? I like the idea of floating window managers but they all seem to have stopped getting updates.
>>
File: 1607667267537.png (159 KB, 882x758)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
My resume from suspend function won't work. But it will work within the first 5 seconds of booting up. Meaning, I can successfully resume after suspending. But after 10 seconds, I try again and I just get a black screen when I resume and nothing in the journalctl logs. No "resume" in there at all.
I've tried different kernel versions, different Nvidia drivers, not running any programs on startups. Not sure what else to do.
Anyone have any ideas? Shit is driving me crazy.
>>
>>84470739
I believe in Biology.
>>
>>84466931
>>84467213
It's a locale issue. Any utf-8 locale should fix it. But if you may want to get english and japanese ones. For example I find it useful to set my LC_COLLATE to japanese locale, otherwise the english one ignores japanese characters when sorting alphabetically.
>>
>novideo
lmao
>>
>>84470920
>Is it possible to use AwesomeWM as a floating window manager?
That's what I do. You can edit the config file to remove unwanted tiling stuff. I tile some windows manually with my numpad, like meta+3 would be bottom right corner etc.
>>
>>84470875
well if you wanted to have it saved to separate file, you could do
#!/usr/bin/env sh
/path/to/nig.py 2>&1 | tee -a logfile.log

and just use that script in the systemd unit
but again your python script would need to have a shebang (which i believe it would already have)
>>
>>84470933
cringe
>>
>>84470924
suspend to disk?
if so, check your boot config
>>
File: JC.png (155 KB, 400x242)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>84471023
Jesus Christ would like to disagree.
>>
>>84471107
do you just mean having
resume=UUID={uuid}
on my grub cfg or something else? cause that's set correctly
>>
>>84471004
I looked at the script properly it is already saving logs to temp files apparently. The journal is only showing the first lines though. I opened an issue on github asking the author what's going on. Hopefully I can fully resolve this issue within journalctl. Thanks for all the help so far. Really appreciated
>>
File: mpv-shot0002.jpg (199 KB, 1920x1080)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>84454673
>>84463439
Anyone?
>>
>>84471156
that and maybe any boot options that might conflict. just talking out of my ass tho, would have to read up.
>>
>>84471190
just run shit with optimus and without?
i dunno what your using but something like optirun or priumusrun

regarding musl:
should default to C locale tho?
>>
>>84470453
>> and >& are shell operators and generally don't work in programs which aren't shells.

>>84470875
journalctl -f _SYSTEMD_UNIT=<your service here>
>>
>>84455237
I would look for the problem around the programs you've used to "save" those jpg files.

As you probably know, Slackware is special in the sense that dependencies are up to you. So if we discard human error at the point of writing filenames or a bug in a single program, I can imagine that sorting dependency hell has left you with two programs that communicates expecting slightly different types.
>>
On Arch on a desktop. Using i3 but I also have Mate installed. If I'm watching a movie or playing a game or anything that doesn't involve typing or moving the mouse for more than about 30 minutes straight, the screen goes black until I do one of those two things.

I tried Mate's settings in case they were somehow messing with things. Nothing. It doesn't seem like something i3 would handle directly.

What the fuck else could it be?
>>
I have installed Arch Linux on my PC and it runs fine, but how do I get DHCP ethernet working? I can ping the gateway, but no Internet? How do I set up persistent DHCP networking on this? Thanks.
>>
>>84471510
If you install a network handler like networkmanager or connman you don't need to worry about it because they handle DHCP internally. Just download it and enable it's service.
>>
>>84471553
Thanks, I used a chroot and installed networkmanager and used this command.

sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager.service

Should be fine now.
>>
File: 1n2ol9.jpg (26 KB, 640x360)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Waiting for dev-qt/qtwebengine to compile pic related, just as well I did enable ccache for this package...
>>
>>84471553
crap...

>>84471750
do

sudo systemctl enable dhcpd.service

I think if you do ip link and note the interface, you can do like

systemctl enable dhcpcd@enp5s0

just replace enp5s0 with the one you use. But remember to remove networkmanager because it will conflict.

pacman -Rs networkmanager
>>
How do I make this into a general script?
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -an -vf "scale=iw*.5:ih*.5" -c:v libvpx -b:v 1.88M -threads 3 out.webm
specifically I want to give it any *.mp4 and have it spit out *-webm.webm
>>
>>84471750
Are you using wired or wifi btw? Because if using wifi then you might want wpa_supplicant. I could talk you through that in the next thread when ever someone bakes new if you like.
>>
>>84471872
Wired.
>>
>>84471865
using vim

vim script.sh

press i to enter insert mode and paste in the code

#!/bin/bash
ffmpeg -i $1 -an -vf "scale=iw*.5:ih*.5" -c:v libvpx -b:v 1.88M -threads 3 $2

save file in vim by pressing escape and entering :wq

make it to an executable using
chmod +x script.sh

args $1 and $2 will be fed into the script like

./script.sh 'in.mp4' 'out.webm'
>>
>>84471878
then just install the dhcpd package or what ever its called and use the command I wrote

>>84471832
sudo systemctl enable dhcpd.service

it will try every interface connected to a router when the machine boots. Your router will lease on ip and you will be connected.
>>
>>84469324
i made my own group, we're called the anti-baddies
if youre not with us you're a baddie
>>
>>84471878
networkmanager is bloat, but it is nice though for those just wanting easy mode, its up to you which you use. I just like a more minimal approach for less bloat and less attack surface vs potential security vulns
>>
>>84471878
and speaking of security you could well do this once you have a bootable system because last I checked it won't work from live

pacman -S ufw
ufw default deny
ufw logging on
ufw allow from 192.168.0.0/24

ufw uses iptables, the above will setup a basic firewall
>>
>>84472010
>pacman -S ufw
make that
pacman -Sy ufw

just so you update the local database because it won't have been updated if its a fresh install, otherwise it will error.

You might want to also check the arch wiki on how to setup a firewall using nftables instead which is easier and for most replaces old iptables. nftables is also in the linux kernel and will probably replace iptables https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/nftables
>>
>>84471479
xset -dpms s off
into the command line nig. also add it to your .xinitrc or something
>>
File: arch.jpg (442 KB, 3440x1440)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
Network Manager got my Arch network running, now I have a much faster desktop than bloated Ubuntu.

But I will implement the security measures. Ubuntu 20.04 is so slow compared to Arch.
>>
>>84472122
Arch is super lightweight. Enjoy anon!
NetworkManager's pretty much a "just works" solution when it comes to network stuff. Setting up ufw is super simple for some quick and easy firewall security as well so it's a good idea.
>>
>>84471479
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"

EndSection

works for me using gentoo.
>>
>>84471479
also its xorgs screen blanking or something, its different from suspending your monitor. if you setup like I did >>84472154
then it will never turn off, so you will have to manually turn off your monitors power if you leave your machine for extended period of time to save power. Or alter the settings to suit you, 0 means never.
>>
>>84472122
fluxchads everywhere lately
>>
New thread: >>84472191
>>
arch is THE shit damn
nothing to be scared of
>>
>>84471917
that works, thanks.
>>
>>84471479
also i think arch because it uses systemd has other ways, i'll dig it up for you from my arch install.
cat /mnt/etc/systemd/logind.conf

#  This file is part of systemd.
#
# systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# Entries in this file show the compile time defaults.
# You can change settings by editing this file.
# Defaults can be restored by simply deleting this file.
#
# See logind.conf(5) for details.

[Login]
#NAutoVTs=6
#ReserveVT=6
#KillUserProcesses=no
#KillOnlyUsers=
#KillExcludeUsers=root
#InhibitDelayMaxSec=5
HandlePowerKey=suspend
#HandleSuspendKey=suspend
#HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
HandleLidSwitch=ignore
#HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=suspend
#HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
#PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#SuspendKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#HibernateKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=yes
#HoldoffTimeoutSec=30s
#IdleAction=ignore
#IdleActionSec=30min
#RuntimeDirectorySize=10%
#RemoveIPC=yes
#InhibitorsMax=8192
#SessionsMax=8192
>>
>>84472250
I think this was for my laptop, to setup so it don't turn off when i closed down the screen lid. I think you're best doing the xorg.conf file >>84472154
>>
>>84472122
>Ubuntu 20.04 is so slow compared to Arch.
So glad you made it to our side anon, yes arch is a fast one, pacman is super fast also when installing stuff. You can make arch even fast with i3 mind, just takes a little getting use to, only problem is once you grow to love tiling window managers you will never want to use anything else due to how much faster and productive they are.

Gentoo is every faster but its a bitch to learn and even more a bitch doing large compiles of packages and setting those up to actually work..
>>
>>84472357
EndeavourOS has an i3 profile that gives you an i3 desktop already fully configured which is fucking nice of them.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.