[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1293682542867.png (2.23 MB, 2880x1920)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB PNG
>failed calc 3 for the third time because the ta caught me peaking at a note card during a closed note test
>kicked out of the CS department permanently for failing a requirement three times

holy shit can someone tell these departments to wake up. why the hell do I need to memorize some hundred year old formulas in order to get a cs degree and a software job? Mathfags are as hopeless as English majors, forcing their mental masturbation puzzles onto undergrads with no purpose outside of academic smugness
>>
you got weeded out. go be a webdev
>>
>>83830187
Vector calculus is stupidly intuitive, cope
>>
File: 1621956921312.png (573 KB, 703x834)
573 KB
573 KB PNG
>>83830187
>be brainlet enough to have to cheat on a test
>get caught
>complain on /g/
fuck off
>>
If you learn math you learn to use your brain
Everything is connected and there are always proprieties that let's you solve the problems in a smarter way
>>
>>83830187
>kicked out
well deserved, brainlet
>>
File: 1634057196197.png (126 KB, 1527x706)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>83830187
you're right anon. It's an intelligence test with little application for most programmers, let alone most people.
But that's no excuse to cry about failing it. Undergrad is not a test of merit as much as capacity for obedience. Play the game, or choose a different one to play.
>>
>>83830187
>he tried to memorize calc 3 equations
The reason they make you take calc 3 is to filter out retards like you.
You're supposed to understand the equations and learn where they come from. If you're trying to memorize the chart you posted, you're doing it wrong.
All those equations in each category are just small variations of each other.
The vector calculus section is mostly intuitive identities also.
>>
>>83831005
Aren't you allowed to bring equations with you anyway? My uni lets us anyway.
>>
>>83831033
because some unis give real degrees, yours gives toilet paper with a stamp on it
>>
>>83830187
Calc 3 was quite literally the easiest of the lot you fucking idiot
>>
>>83830187
>three integrals
SO how does that work, area under line, area BEHIND line and the third one is where?
>>
>>83831075
Time you dumb negro
>>
>>83831064
Why so mad?
>>
>>83831114
so how much cube happens during a time. cool
>>
>get caught cheating on a test
>blame the academic department instead of learning the content
>fail out of school
>>
>>83831064
My roll of toilet paper didn't cost $500K faggot haha
>>
anything besides the finite element method is ancient useless bullshit.
>>
>>83831033
No, there's no reason to.
If you understand the content, you don't need to memorize more than the basic equations in each category. Everything else builds on those equations and is intuitive if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>83830187
>memorize
There's your problem OP, the fact that you can't even understand the theorems and derive them from scratch means you're just another code monkey.
>>83831075
The way you think about it is in terms of higher dimensional analouges of volume (the proper name is measure) and generalising Riemann sums.
>>83831114
Fuck off zoomie.
>>
>>83830187
Calc 3 was the easiest of the calc classes, how?
>>
>>83831075
Area inside the line
>>
linear algebra and calc 3 are the two math classes you will need as a CS major if you are doing anything in graphics, robotics or neural nets. A lot of problems boil down to setting up a system with lots of variables then solving it by taking the Jacobian and going down the gradient.
>>
>>83831297
Math fags haven't solved a real problem in their entire (realistic) misserable lives. It's fascinating how they can keep on living by submerging themselves in (imaginary) detached delusions.
Imagine if programming was taught by doing leetcode for 12 years because "some day" you will get to solve real problems that somewhat resemble those fake problems, instead of just doing some demo apps.
>>
>>83831114
Wtf bro, I'm black and I didn't fail calc 3
>>
how the fuck does anyone not get an A in calc 3 after getting through 2?
>>
>>83830691
>It's an intelligence test with little application for most programmers
immediately contradicting yourself there. Math serves as a way to weed out any retards that think they'll just be playing vidya and earning 6 figure monthly salaries for sitting at a computer printing "Hello World!"
It literally serves as a way to bring SOME fucking prestige in this field of absolute retards, trannies and poos
>>
>>83832182
I just noticed I repeated a term twice in a row, I am who calculus is supposed to keep out of the field, and it still fails, imagine the types of subhuman cretins that would be trying it out if there weren't any Calculus classes
>>
>>83830216
fbpb
>>
>>83830187
retard
>>
File: 1633824671439.png (334 KB, 583x590)
334 KB
334 KB PNG
>>83830187
lol you moron, if all you wanna do is program vidya then calculus is actually really fucking important.
>>
>>83830187

We were allow a cheat card.
>>
>>83830187
>cheats
>gets btfo
>would have passed had he not cheated
>doesn't learn, keeps failing
>whines
you failed the work ethic shit test that is college
you deserve to work on nothing more demanding than a cash register
>>
>not taking the hard classes at a community college
>>
>>83830187
nice, the system works
>>
>>83830187
>want to do compsci
>i hate math
look for another career you fucking moron
>>
>>83832574
I haven't encountered anyone using calculus in their day to day job. OK sure I won't be a neural network researcher but this hurts me getting jobs in general
>>
where do i teach myself calc 3
i loved calc 1, it was the most fun i'd ever had in school, and apparently calc 2 has nothing to do with calc 1 and it's calc 3 that actually builds off of it
>>
math? fucking retarded and not real
>>
>>83830187
go be a scientist or something, instead of playing make-believe with numbers all day. scientists are the real smart ones. there hasnt been a real use for math in centuries
>>
Take a year or two off and work. I failed out first year, did that, and close to graduating BS in Physocs at a different university now
>>
>>83832068
Math chads work with physics bros, creating models and numerical methods to solve real world problems. Think any design for aviation or nautical systems testing. These are real things that save time, money, and help people.

CS retards just make iphone apps so American teenage girls can get blacked by cdackheads.

I hate computer "scientists". The average mathematics graduate could take your job, like candy from a baby. Useless bag of fuck. You might as well have psychology degree, worthless.
>>
>>83833615
Cal 2 was just random BS. Cal 3 is like cal 1, but with multiple variables. I'm sure there's calculus tutorials on youtube everywhere. There's also MIT opencourseware and similar thing. >>>/sci/ has a math book chart somewhere
>>
>>83834328
CS is not code monkey.
>>
>>83830187
Why do I need to understand the fundamentals of my field? Can someone explain to these people that a college degree just exist to get a job, not proof of mastery of a field. Get weeded out. Should have studied more and not tried to cheat.
>>
Calc is fundamental to the field if you are doing anything beyond web dev. The web devs have dumbed it down with all their frameworks, but if you are doing AI you need to understand linear algebra and statics. If you want to do game dev. You need to understand vectors and geometry. The math although exist to prove O calculations and allows for proving that a solution actually works. If you want to build a system that provably works you need to be able to understand all that. A college degree is a certificate that you are capable of that. Its not just a license to go out and do web dev.
>>
Its over for OP, I hope you enjoy delivering sandwiches alongside 3rd worlders lmao.
>>
>>83835506
sauce?
>>
>>83835506
>>
>>83835538
On which part? The AI portion is all about finding mins and maxes of a continuous function. Its also about setting the correct values for change in behavior so that you don't fall into local mins and maxes. The idea is to find the global min or max to optimize your AI algorithm. It works by finding statically correlated behaviors. When talking about game dev the behavior of vectors become important for setting directionality and determining when collision happens. If I fire a cannon in a video game. The cannon ball will not instantly arrive at its destination. The vector will determine the initial direction the ball will travel while a global vector will pull that ball down until it hits the ground. Vectors can reflect direction and magnitude of things traveling. When talking about how to prove something you have several methods of proof one of those is proof by induction. This allows you to prove something is true infinitely. I could take a function and assume that it was true that the function had a certain effect. I would then prove this to be true for a base case(s) then I would prove that for any arbitrary number that the equation would be equal to my base case. I do this by proving that when substituting k for k+1 we get the same result. This allows me to prove that an algorithm will work for any arbitrary input in real numbers set. You can also use math for creating RTOS schedules. You should look up RMS scheduling.
>>
>>83835538
>>83835545
both AI and non-poobrained game dev rely on graphics programming and at least interacting with the GPU
go read about what shaders, OpenCL, CUDA, and other ways of programming the GPU actually entail you worthless morons

here
you can even have a look and try it yourself
https://www.shadertoy.com/
>>
>>83834328
CS is more than importing numpy, codelet
you will never be a programmer
>>
>>83830187
> Fail kiddie calculus
> THREE times
I hear mcdonalds is hiring
>>
>>83835661
stop calling "machine learning" "AI"
>>
>>83835661
and
>finding min or max
is an issue with performance. with unlimited computing power, this is pointless- bad, even. outliers are still data and its useful
>setting correct variables
this is science if anything, something else but cba
>>
>>83830187
I actually did cheat on all of my Calculus, but I didn't get caught and now I enjoy the privilege of having a Comp Sci degree.
>>
>>83830187
it's easy just use an extra integral and boom, calc 2 becomes calc 3
>>
>>83835738
Min and max is relative to what you are measuring. If you are looking for a formula that best fit the data this can be tricky to set the correct variables. Data can have patterns and you have to recognize those patterns and choose the correct algorithm to map it or create one that fits the pattern you then have to set your loss function correctly. This can be tricky and very finicky. If you mess up you can waste hours of time creating a useless model. There is a reason that those jobs pay so high.
>>
>>83830187
>memorize
>formulas

The whole thing is pretty intuitive, is not about memorization
>>
>>83835661
will k+1 turn into k for the next iteration?
>>
>>83835783 typed this out because my internet died so had nothing else to do desu but im bad at explaining, but you are wrong...
machine learning is not AI
everything in this post is machine learning if not the >if statements are ai guise
>
what is under/over the min/max is still data and youre wasting it, based on what you believe or want this "AI" to believe, going back to >machine learning is not AI,
same with you being what is finding the "patterns"
same with "choosing the correct algorithm"

you then go on to map this pattern you see with an algorithm you choose, using min/max you decide
>
>"set the correct variables"
this is once again what it should do. changing these variables or creating what would be a "control" in science - both - are based on i cant, its complicated but "communication"
actually a lot of it is the "communication"...

how many layers are you on?
with the min/max, with the variables,
it doesnt take it all at "face value". its all to be kept and the data/info is useful, just at different levels it can go through or keep, as it tries to prove it or find the pattern. what is shows is what it has, as it works through the other
>>
>>83835783
but min/max and not having very many levels, limits in storage etc, are mostly computing power i guess
>>
>>83833606
>I haven't encountered anyone using calculus in their day to day job.
Irrelevant.
CS is a discipline of mathematics. Also university is not a trade school.
>>
>>83836019
this, people confuse computer science for a programming degree
>>
>>83835882
Assumption:
4^n + 14 is divisible by 6
Base case:
4^1 + 14 = 18 / 6 = 3 valid
Assume this is true for n = k where k is an arbitrary number:
4^k + 14 = 6A where A is some integer constant
If I rearrange I get this value
4^k = 6A - 14
Now I plug in k+1 to the function
4^(k+1) + 14 = 4 * (4^k) + 14
= 4(6A - 14) + 14 substituted using assumption
=24A -56 +14
=24A - 42
=6(4A - 7) This is dividing by 6 thud proving equality.
Thus if n= k then n = k+ 1 plus we proved true for the base case of one this proves true for all positive integers
>>
File: 1625985612796.jpg (43 KB, 590x533)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
All this thread taught me is that I should go and review/relearn my math knowledge, but OP, you had over a year to pass Calc 3 since you retook it 3 times. You should've studied every goddamn day and kept practicing.
>>
>>83831297
Don't pretend like you could deduce all that shit from scratch. Cuz any theorem you try to use, you also have to prove.
>>
nobody itt actually has a cs degree, let alone a job in the field.

calculus is used very little in reality, all these memes about it being super duper important have no basis on reality and only exist to prolong university courses.
no, this isn't sour grapes, i graduated top of my class from a highly respected university and i'm happily employed.

reply to me a lot and make up some bullshit to feel better.
>>
>>83831064
Math is not about memorizing equations. If you really believe so, it's your university that failed you, not his.
>>
>>83830187
>Kicked out of CS department
makes sense
>for failing a requirement 3 times
Surprised you didn't get kicked out of university for fraud
>>
>>83830216
This. Fuck off you cheating brainlet nigger
>>
>>83836625
memorizing equations helps tho. especially trigonometry
>>
>>83830187
>filtered by vector calculus
How is this even possible
>>
>>83836390
Do you know what an axiom is?
>>
>>83830187
kys
if you have to memorize formulas you're doing it wrong retard
>>
how do i learn to read these moonrunes
>>
>>83830187
>A+B = B+A
This has to be bait because im shit at math and i know half of your pic
>>
>>83831075
High-quality shitpost, well done.
>>
>>83838023
there are cases where this isn't true
>>
>>83830187
>took 100% online classes
>can cheat to my heart's content because we use ALEKS and it has no safeguards against changing focus from the window
>still learned how to do it all because the final exam is a wild card considering how my accelerated finals had special shit enabled
Dilate, campustranny.
>>
I got a CS degree 2 years ago and never did this shit. Max was calc 2 in my university.
Did i get a meme degree?
Does it matter?
Am i missing out by not having done that high tier math?
Should i learn it on my own time?
>>
What kind of CS course even has more than one semester of math that goes beyond basic calculus?
>>
>>83830187
You are being thought by the bookworms. The same obedient spineless cucks that were the teacher's pet in highschool. The same mindlets that the public educational system was built from r in the first place. The wagie that want to be nothing more than a cog. These people are incapable of problem solving and mindlessly regurgitate information like a machine.
You should learn to cheat better as well
>>
>>83830187
I feel you OP. I've failed Algebra 5 times and might just give up on college at this point
I already have a job. College just feels like being bullied by teachers who know fancy math. ):
>>
>>83830187
>why the hell do I need to memorize some hundred year old formulas
retard, the goal is to understand them not to memorize them. if you cannot understand something of such a complexity then you will never be able to make any useful software so fuck off and go be a webdev
>>83830216
fpbp
>>
>>83838286
I would recommend at least learning calc 3, diff q just to understand them.
>>
>>83830187
Good. Fuck cheating niggers
>>
>>83838957
You're the yard. No one tests you on understanding anything. It's all about reproducing what you read in a textbook down to the grammatical errors.
>>
>>83830187
Filtered big time. Maybe now you will learn some discipline and apply yourself or you can accept your place as an effeminate subhuman and become a web developer tranny.
Mathematics is the gretest science and the best retard filter ever concieved.
>>
>>83830187
lol, do amerilards really?
>>
>>83830187
>why the hell do I need to memorize some hundred year old formulas
wut
>>
>>83831005
Exactly. facts are the enemy to understanding
>>
>>83830187
>>failed calc 3 for the third time because the ta caught me peaking at a note card during a closed note test
get fucked cheating nigger
>>
>>83830187
>cheat in a test and do it badly enough to get caught no less
Enjoy your new job as a janitor. It's what you've earned.
>>
>>83838371
Where the math department has the political power to shoehorn themselves into other majors to siphon students to justify their existence
>>
>>83836757
>Cheating bad
>Can't program without searching the web for solutions to your own fuck ups
The absolute state of scriptmonkeys
>>
To all the subiq chuds ITT:

- Most people cheat on these exams, especially East Asians
- There is nothing "intelligent" about learning superfluous information
- "Weeding people out" is classism, moronic, and has lead to the current problems in the West. Enjoy widespread poverty and eventually being invaded by foreign countries
>>
>>83842428
coping with your failure
>>
>>83842437
Respond substantively to a point instead of spouting memes like a mongoloid
>>
>>83830187
>calc 3 was a requirement for CS at his college
OH NO NO NO AHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>83831064
Caltech does this, exams are take-home and open note. Guess I'm just a retard coping with their failure though, lmao
>>
>>83830187
truth: why dont you study? im an engineering major, ive taken calc 3 before and i barely remember anything from it because ive never used it. most of this shit is like some iq test. truthfully, almost anyone can program, they put shit like this in there to filter people, and even despite their best efforts, so many people get degrees anyways. seems like society is mostly ranked on intelligence (the more int, the more you get, which is somewhat justified). just study it i dont care if you hate it or dont need it, just study the damn thing so you can get your damn degree.
>>
>CS degree
>2k21
How about you get a useful degree like accounting or engineering and learn programming on the side.
>>
>>83830243
why is the car angry
>>
>>83842519
>engineering
if OP got filtered by calc 3 they definitely wouldn't be able to complete an engineering degree lel
>>
>>83830187
Mathlet BTFO
Quit bitching CS is already baby tier compared to other stem subjects
>>
>>83831075
n integrals = n+1 dimensional volume
>>
>>83830187
>for the 3rd time
Maybe you're the problem and not the hundred year old formulas? Whether you like or not you can't deny that math it's one of the most important things in human history. At least try to use your brain.

You're now a certified code monkey, congrats!
>>
>>83842428
>"Weeding people out" is classism, moronic, and has lead to the current problems in the West. Enjoy widespread poverty and eventually being invaded by foreign countries

NOPE! You have never worked for or with incompetents that don't understand the basics of their field. If it's a coworker then you end up covering for their mistakes, complain and you are not a team player. Managers are worse, because they try to lead what they don't understand and end up filling the team up with incompetent lairs. The only solution is to find a new job because whatever project those people are on is doomed.
>>
>>83843194
You went on a non-sequitur rant. The evidence you have provided seems to indicate that you work with idiots is because of the system that is currently in place.

People have no need to learn the basics in their field. They need to route memorize tons of useless information. This benefits mathematicians because they need to eat. Once there, your coworkers just make stuff confusing on purpose for job security. Perhaps if exams were open note and open book, the questions and content would actually need to be intellectually insightful, instead of merely going through the motions
>>
>>83843241
It isn't just universities though. If anything they are the least corrupted. The worst is the educational system for children. Fire all educators and replace them with machines and we will all be better off. Most educators are reactionary midwits at best - malicious psychopaths at worst - larping as ideologically progressive
>>
CS degrees shouldn't be technical degrees.
You're not learning programming. You're learning a hard science. At good universities, you're being taught to be a professor.
Do most people need that type of degree? No. But that's how it is.
>>
>>83843258
>At good universities, you're being taught to be a professor.
This is never the case. A small group of people are groomed, usually for reasons completely unrelated to the actual subject.
>>
>>83830187
Sorry but you are just not intelligent. Accept it and move on with life
>>
>>83830187
lmao imagine getting filtered by simple multivariable calculus

You don't need to memorize shit. Almost everything in your pic is trivially proven from a couple of other notions and results.
>>
>>83834328
based
>>
>>83834328
Mathfags are too retarded even for fucking Python.
You will never be an operating system kernel engineer.
>>
>>83830187
I didn't do game dev because I thought it's just a bunch of automated shit in an IDE, but there's actual math involved? Damn I missed out on that, it would actually be really fun.
>>
>>83830187
How the fuck do you fail Cal 3? Are you some kind of sub-midwit?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.