[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Get it here:
>https://releases.ubuntu.com/impish/

Use This thread to discuss the release.
>is there any redeeming qualities?
>is gnome 40 good or gay?
>will this revive Ubuntu's popularity?
>inb4 faggots, trannies, troons & sjw
>>
>ubuntu
>with gnome 40
oh so an even worse ubuntu than before
>>
>>83827101
I updated my Xubuntu to 21.10 about three weeks ago, so yeah, not much to do on release day now.
>>
>>83827135
i like it. it feels snappier & more responsive than before. the new look feels weird but overall it's definitely a step up from gnome3. i still wonder who the target audience is, besides from the gnome devs themselves...
>>
>>83827293
>i still wonder who the target audience is, besides from the gnome devs themselves...
the gnome project has been controlled opposition/competition probably since its inception and those devs are saboteur agents
>>
>>83827420
meds
>>
>>83827101
>>is there any redeeming qualities?
yeah but its under the hood stuff
>>is gnome 40 good or gay?
extremely gay but i didnt like gnome before. the PopOS version is also pretty shit. i havent lost hope yet, but i will stay with KDE or xfce for now
>>will this revive Ubuntu's popularity?
its probably at its peak right now if you include Ubuntu based distros
>>inb4 faggots, trannies, troons & sjw
i dont care about that shit
>>
>>83827135
this, Gnome 38 was the last tolerable release of the DE and that's really saying something considering how fucking long it's taken to fix the file picker bug
>>
>>83827553
i like the idea of having a desktop environment that doesn't follow the windows paradigm and that tries to create something different, but i seriously doubt that gnome will become synonymous with the linux desktop
>>
>>83827695
same here. i do like the general idea of it, which is why i keep trying it. but after gnome 40 is yet another garbage version after promising so much im not very hopeful
>>
>>83827493
can meds help anyone fix the filepicker bug?
>>
>>83827135
>ubuntu
>with gnome 40
oh wow only a full release behind what I'm currently running, I better run out and switch to Ubuntu post haste!

GNOME is based BTW
>>
>>83827723
What makes it garbage?
>>
Why do you guys dislike gnome. Is it because of it’s similarity with android?
>>
Will they change the hairy balls desktop background now? Or was that in a previous version?
>>
Ubuntu is doomed to a life of being shitty software relying on snaps as its package manager. Basically being a toy/mobile OS. And GNOME sucks as always :/
>>
>kernel 5.13
bruh. that's been EOL for a month
>>
>>83827877
Canonical backports security patches.
>>
Tried it out in a VM and GNOME 40 feels better than I thought it would.
>>
>>83827851
oh snap!
>https://gitlab.com/lol-snap/lol

"lol is a variant of snap with support for a custom snap server. It's in beta, but you can daily-drive it. We'll be making it
easier to publish snaps and be adding support for multiple repos."
>>
>>83827984
>snap is awful
>you can use snap with a different name and a different server
tfw the server was the only thing that wasn't a problem with snap, it's everything else (slow to launch applications, randomly updating when the server tells it to even if it's in the middle of something, etc) that makes snap shitty.
>>
File: warty-final-ubuntu.png (1.98 MB, 4096x2304)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB PNG
>>83827836
New default wallpaper
>>
>>83828021
i'm running 21.10 as we speak. the first startup of a snapapp is slow as a snail. then it's pretty fast, at least compared to the last time i tried it (19.10). and the permission settings is definitely something i miss on flatpak. still technically inferior to repos.
>>
>>83828095
Is the firefox .deb package still maintained?
>>
>>83828176
yes
>>
nvidia just released beta driver with gbm support
>>
>>83828391
next ubuntu version is going replace the deb with snap,
>>
>>83828086
I am genuinely sad, why can't Ubuntu choose a good fucking theme or wallpaper. Last version it was testicles with hair, now a fucking thing that looks directly into my soul.
>>
>>83828466
Just add the Nightly PPA.
Why wouldn't you use Nightly anyway?
>>
>>83829517
Meant for >>83828698
>>
>>83827101
Been using ubuntu for years since it just gets out of my way. With 20.04 pushing snaps so hard, it's no longer getting out of my way. Fuck it. Going ot move to debian or arch or something.
>>
>>83827101
Seems pretty good but it's just standard Ubuntu; polished, works well out of the box, a bit bloated and a bit boring. It installed propriety Nvidia drivers out of the box which removes a click and a reboot I guess. The defaults need a bit of tweaking for my tastes but from what I can tell that's par for the course with Gnome.
>>
>>83827101
okay bros this is my experience as 1080ti user that will never sell his card and clearly never afford a new gpu ever again
>gnome 40
>nvidia 470
>enabled wayland shit
>4k display

this is what i saw
>tiling firefox to half size on my 4k display made firefox lag as fuck making browsing horrible
>chrome can run in wayland, its better than firefox but still clearly reduced performance compared to windows/mac
>half life 2 launched, but when i clicked options ingame it crashed
>but it did ran accelerated xwayland
>fractional/normal scaling works quite well
>but when i make windows larger they start lagging, like nautilus clearly renders at 5 fps when maximized
>watching youtube or twitch is okay, until you full screen then the video runs at 30

bros i... i... i give up
there is no point to this anymore
>>
File: 1600816245067.jpg (40 KB, 800x450)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>83830042
>4k display
literally why
>>
do the server and dkestop ISOs have access to the exact same repos? what's stopping me from downloading the server one and just throwing xfce on it
>>
>>83830191
Yes, you can.
>>
>>83827877
>even debian is on 5.14
embarrassing
I've come to the conclusion that there is no good distro
>>
>>83827101
>gnome 41 is out
>ubuntu only has gnome 40
>>
>>83830042
see
>Most exciting with the NVIDIA 495.29.05 beta release is GBM API support! After years of waiting and NVIDIA wanting to pursue an alternative API instead after years of pushing EGLStreams, NVIDIA's proprietary driver has finally adopted the Generic Buffer Manager (GBM) API. This greatly enhances the Wayland support for NVIDIA's proprietary driver stack and makes it compatible with a lot more Wayland software. For example, the likes of Sway should now run fine with this new driver.
>>
>Ubuntu XX.X: Transexual Tiger
>>
>>83830447
And RHELs on 4.9 faggot it isn’t just about numbers
>>
>>83831157
the driver will not enable gbm on ubuntu 21.10 cuz it needs newer mesa.
will probably work great on arch when the driver reaches aur.
sway has the only working Wayland compositor, as in it works and is not a laggy piece of shit.
>>
File: smiledog.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>83827101
damn the default ubuntu wallpaper is kinda cool ngl
>>
>>83827195
And you told me to install chrome from a ppa where the automated builds have been failing for the last 6 months. Infact their isn't a single successful build for 21.10 so who knows what you were bullshitting about.
>>
>>83827737
My sides kek
>>
>>83831207
>And RHELs on 4.9 faggot it isn’t just about numbers
It is when you use an amd video card and are dependent on kernel updates to get newer versions of mesa.
>>
>>83827737
It is probable
>>
>>83829770
moving to debian myself around 22.04 when firefox gets moved to a snap.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.