[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2154321321.png (11 KB, 662x600)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
So Im planning on installing linux on my machine now that windows 11 is not compatible with my modern cpu (i5-3570K).

I was looking in Distrowatch that MX linux is the most popular but never heard of it. Should I pull the trigger? Or should I go with fedora?

Btw, not into ricing or showing off nerd skills. Just want a functional OS.
>>
>>83823156
poorfags be like:

>my modern cpu
>i5-3570K
>>
>>83823156
About to say Ubuntu but you already say Fedora, so go with it anon.
I still don't understand how MX Linux got so popular on distrowatch. Definitely still not a major distro.
>>
>>83823156
If you want your shit done, install Ubuntu LTS, Debian Testing or Fedora. Everything else is just garbage without QA.
>>
File: 71e.png (1.52 MB, 1400x932)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
>>83823182
>I still don't understand how MX Linux got so popular on distrowatch.
Bots.
>>
>>83823156
mx is botted on distrowatch
if you want stable/hassle-free go with debian/ubuntu lts/derivatives
if you want the cool new and 147357 technology yet mostly stable go with fedora/opensuse tumbleweed
>>
>>83823171
Ivy bridge is still a modern CPU.

>>83823182
I don't even know most of the distros in the top list. Is Mandriva still alive?

>>83823190
Seem like the only good optiones for now. What DE should I go with?
>>
>>83823156
Don't pay attention to that distrowatch chart, MX Linux got itself to number 1 with bots. No one actually uses it, and i don't trust it if it's willing to do such a dirty tactic like that.
The distros people actually use the most are Linux Mint and Ubuntu, use one of those instead and revel in the just werks environment.
>>
Distrowatch rankings are based on clicks per day, so chink distros like MX are always at the top because no one ever has ever heard of them and peope click to see what the fuck they are.

I recommend you to install Linux Mint or Arch via the archinstall command (only if you're smart enough to follow documentation),
>>
>>83823228
>I don't even know most of the distros in the top list.
See https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
>>
ubuntu if you want something that 'just works'*
mint if you want something that 'just works'* and is similar to windows
arch if you're able to read simple instructions and are a power user**

*"just works" only just works as long as you do basic shit like browse the web, listen to music, watch movies, play platinum rated/native games

**you don't need to rice shit just install a desktop environment after you install arch and you're done with it, and you've learned how to actually use your system along the way but it's very important you only choose this option if you are able to read and follow instructions or you'll have a bad time
>>
>>83823156
I have Ubuntu, it has a lot of issues with random kworker threads going amok. I would get fedora, I’ve heard better things.
>>
>>83823156
distrowatch is a meme
install linux mint
>>
Kubuntu or KDE Neon or maybe Arch or Fedora with KDE. Just use KDE trust me. GNOME is trash.

>inb4 im not a ricer tranny
KDE is still better than GNOME even with all default settings.
>>
>>83823237
How about using bots to make gentoo number one?
>>
>instead of buying modern hardware he becomes a freetard

pottery
>>
>>83823237
>>83823261
Going to agree with these guys and just install mint.
>>
I've been using since 2017 and i confess it just werks but don't expect much updated shit on it, it runs on previous kernel and based on arch but it has got everything you might need from stock os
>>
>>83823156
I have been daily driving MX Linux on three separate computers and so far I have nothing to complain. Ofc every distro is made for its audience, and that just means that I fit MX Linux.

I kind of wish you wouldn't ask though, since trying a linux is so simple with the live boot.

Go and see, the world is for you to explore.
>>
>>83823228
>Seem like the only good optiones for now. What DE should I go with?
GNOME, if you want to have stable, nice-looking desktop. It has that weird smartphone-like workflow though.
KDE Plasma, if you are customization junkie. It has saner defaults than GNOME, but it also feels rather unpolished.
Xfce, if your machine is low on RAM and you really don't care about gaming and GPU-heavy tasks. It feels Win95-tier old at times.
>>
use manjaro has high software compatibility and installs your drivers automatically
>>
>>83824431
KDE Plasma is more polished than either GNOME or Xfce, and it consumes fewer RAM than Xfce.
>>
>>83823156
>Just want a functional OS
Install Manjaro with Gnome or Tumbleweed with KDE. Trust me on this and don't fall fir stupid /g/ memes. All other distros are not desktop ready, you will lose time trying to fix random garbage instead of using your computer.
>>
Distrowatch simply counts page visits. Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Arch and Gentoo are the big ones out there.
>>
>>83823156
Ubuntu and its derivatives are the most used, most supported, easiest to fix distro's out there. Just look at desktop environments and pick the one you like the look of:

>Gnome
Pop OS
>KDE
Kubuntu
>Cinnamon
Mint
>Mac OS clone
Elementary
>XFCE
Xubuntu
>>
>>83823156
>Btw, not into ricing or showing off nerd skills. Just want a functional OS.
https://www.opensuse.org/
https://getfedora.org/
https://www.debian.org/
>>
File: disable-tpm-rufus-04.png (31 KB, 610x615)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
faggot
>>
>>83823156
Just use mint or pop OS
>>
>>83823182
>I still don't understand how MX Linux got so popular on distrowatch. Definitely still not a major distro.
they host their isos in sourceforge and they do the shilling bcs sourceforge.
it's a nice little distro desu, you get pure debian with some useful tools and you can choose if you want systemd or not. works great on ancient rigs, my moms dualcore/2gb of ram shitbook from 2011 is usable with it (she doesn't want to get a new one because boomer logic)
>>
>>83823156
Use Ubuntu
>>
>>83824611
this. these misconceptions need to die.
LxQt and LXDE are actual "lightweight" desktop environments, but only the former is actively developed. if you actually want lightweight you should use a WM (not recommended for a newbie).
Xfce and KDE have comparable performance. KDE is very actively developed and better imo.
MATE and Cinnamon are fine I guess but kind of heavy for what they are.
GNOME is a total abberation. some people swear by it but it's not a traditional DE and it feels more like a mobile app these days. of course you can install extensions but those tend to break each time it updates kek
>>
>>83823156
just try some live isos
whatever feels best for you
you dont need to install anything, dump the iso to usb stick and give it a try
>>
>>83823156
>no nerd skills
>Just want a functional OS.
windows 10 ltsc
>>
fucking fluxbox. they have to do xfce, kde and openbox. that's it.
>>
>>83823156
Install Windows 7. It just werks. You won't have any driver issues with hardware of that era.
>>
>>83823156
I have mx linux, I already tried all the distros /g/ recommends and had problems after install or few months after. Found mx linux and it works for my needs and my hardware.

Few cons:
Once I installed everything, I made a back up. After few months I updated and some stuff got laggy, load the back up and wait. It happened every time I update. The support for kde is slow. They said they focus in xcfe then kde.
Still I do everything in my good configured system. No need to update.
>>
>>83823156
Install Solus Plasma, thank me later.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.