[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dims.jpg (205 KB, 1600x1035)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
I want an eReader for manga and books, are these things actually good?
>>
>>83820398
tablet is fat better
>>
Luv me Kindle Paperwhite
>>
>>83820606
far*
>>
>>83820398
Don't buy anything kindle, there's far better chinese manufacturers for ereaders, and many of them are large enough to display anthology-sized manga at 1:1 scale.
>>
I have a kobo aura one and it's the bist item I bought last year. Koreade for maximum comfyness.
>>
Boox Max is great.
>>
>>83820398
Gross seriously.
>>
>>83820398

I've got one and it is good (and by that it means it is usable), My complain is the screen size could be bigger. I would get the latest model because they increased the screen size. You can plug it in and move your PDFs directly into the storage. You will have to compress some though, because sometimes they won't be processed unless you convert them into a smaller file size. And if you don't want to use the Amazon bullshit store, you don't have to.

I guess there are better brands, but most of them are expensive, second-hand only or you have to buy them at other stores like ali express or ebay.
>>
If you're going to read manga you'll want a bigger screen. I have two, a Kindle Voyage for books and a Nook Glowlight Plus for manga. I get much of my content for them from z library and library genesis.
>>
I was looking into these recently too. There's a company called kobo and they're releasing 2 new ereaders called libra 2 and sage. Not sure how good they'll be for manga, but if you can wait for reviews, they might be the one to get.
>>
>>83821004
Kobo's store is region locked so your selection for manga sucks unless you live in Japan.
Your best bet for manga is getting a model with Android that allows you to install whatever stores you want.
>>
>>83820398
How long till E-ink can refresh 30hz without seizures? Id love an ebook already by itself (if under 30 bucks since I only like a few books, but e-ink display 30fps and hdmi out then im halfway to an always-on real time webcam Kerbal Space Program. Could do the same with PC and real tv, but too wasteful for a coffeetable piece. Just'd be cool to have a space program running all day every day all year. Saw a color e-ink display once, not sure it ever took off or we'd see it everywhere.
>>
Why do you faggots keep on buying Kindle? Buy a goddamn Kobo for fuck's sake
>>
I guess e-reader might have the psychological effect of reading a book. It's hard for me to read books on my laptop for a long time since I constantly get distracted. But other than that I would say a tablet would be a better choice. Better resolution, better refresh rate, not as fragile as those e-screens. The new ipad would probably cost you a fraction of what an e-reader of same resolution would cost.
>>
>>83820398
I tried reading manga on my kindle oasis, it sucks balls.
bought a cheap samsung tablet and downloaded tachiyomi and don't have to go throught the hassle of either [spoiler]paying[/spoiler] for digital manga (lol) or converting it to a kindle format. you're always up to date, can browse new manga etc.
honestly anon, don't do it. an e-reader is for books only
>>
>>83821828
don't buy an ipad to read manga, anon. I used to read everything on my ipad when mangarock was still around, but after that got shut down there is not a single usable alternative. an android tablet is what you want, if you want to read manga
>>
>>83820398
Of you are reading manga than you wan min 10 inches and when I look at prices of 10 inch eReaders I bought 350€ s5e.
If had it today I would splurge on s7+
>>
>>83820398

>manga and books
Yes, they're good for hentai OP, you can just ask straight up.
>>
>>83820398
>eReader for manga
Just get a tablet, I'm using the cheapest base iPad with sideloaded Paperback app for reading manga and it couldn't be comfier. I also own an Kindle Paperwhite and it's garbage for reading anthing else than novels.
>>
>>83821875
Paperback sideloaded via Altstore works just fine
https://paperback.moe/
>>
>>83820398
Good luck getting the image numbering to work and showing page 2 instead of 10 after 1
>>
>>83822422
that is a viable option? I mean yeah, if you don't want to spend money on an additional device I guess you can sideload paperback, but I got tired of reactivating the altstore. and paperback itself on an ipad is shit. it's an upscaled iphone app. seriously, I refuse to read on that, when the ipad has the perfect screen to do two-page-view like it had on mangarock. god damn greedy fags have to ruin everything. the app was great and inkr is a joke
>>
>>83822212
But 10" ereaders are only €400.
Getting a 16:10 tablet for manga is silly.
>>
>>83820398
Tablet for manga
eReader for books
>>
>>83821358
>Saw a color e-ink display once,
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005002989854733.html

you can buy modules directly from e-ink but they only sell to businesses

https://shopkits.eink.com/product-category/color-epaper-modules/
>>
>>83820606
tablet lasts 7 hours at best while you can forget about an e reader for a week and it'd still have juice.

but if you're talking about the display then that tablet indeed is superior
>>
>>83821358
>then im halfway to an always-on real time webcam Kerbal Space Program
what
>>
I have a Paperwhite from 2018. Still works fine. Battery lasts weeks. But reading manga is a pain without an app like Tachiyomi. My next e-reader when this one breaks would be Android like the ones from Boox.
>>
>>83823717
How are tablet displays superior?
>>
The new/upcoming Kobo Libra 2 looks good, 32gb, decent screen size and price, physical buttons, USB C.

Though an Onyx Boox or something might be better if you want to use an Android app for manga instead of sideloading
>>
>>83825085
Not OP, but that sounds perfect. I just pre-ordered it. USB-C, great storage size, adjustable brightness and temperature, and all those file types supported sold me on it. Not a bad price either, when comparing it to my Kindle Oasis. Time to get out of Amazon's walled garden.
>>
I've been in the market for tablets for manga reading. The only modern android tablet with a 4:3 screen I could find is the chuwi hipad plus.
It's got a decent screen and build quality. However the chipset is some low power piece of shit that lags on 4k video playback.
Unless some major manufacturer comes out with a decent 4:3 screen tablet anytime soon I guess I'll settle for something with 16:10 since theres a much wider offering that don't compromise on performance.
Then again 16:10 may be the best compromise between reading and video viewing and I should just get over my 4:3 autism.
>>
>>83825156

yeah I'm tempted as well. I have an old Aura HD with a dying battery, might be time for an upgrade
>>
>>83820398
They are good for books but slow as shit for manga. For the latter a tablet is much better
>>
>>83825186
Onyx Boox and Boyue Likebook use 4:3.
Just watch videos on your computer or TV.
>>
>>83824116
Refresh rate, color, responsiveness
>>
>>83825283
You're reading. You shouldn't be worrying about refresh rate unless you're a reading who's tapped into the speedforce.
>>
>>83825415
>go to next page
>shitty "ereaders" take 10+ seconds to erase the current screen and draw the new one
>actual tablets do it fucking instantly
Eink ereaders are fucking trash, get a fucking real tablet.
>>
>>83825215
I've already considered those but ultimately decided tablet is the best fit for my use case.
I don't have a tv and watching anime in my bed is much more comfy than on my pc monitor.
Admittedly manga is mainly black and white so I'd get an e ink reader if that was my only use case. I also haven't had the opportunity to read on an ereader so I wouldn't know the positives of it firsthand.
>>
>>83825283
Haven't had any problems with responsiveness. Note taking wouldn't work otherwise.
>>
>>83821797
somo Kobos arent sold in most of the world, ano most of those buying Kindles are in america. So it makes sense
>>
>>83825415
>>83825782
Look guys, I have ereader, I wish we could have better eReaders, but just switching from one page to other is painful.
It always feels like it goes garbleh-draw instead of simply switching.
>>
>>83820398
Yes, although for manga you'll want one that's at least 7.8 inches. And you'll probably want android so you can run tachiyomi. Aside from more obscure brands that narrows your choices down to boyue or boox devices.
>>
>>83820606
Only if you need to zoom in and if you have a big enough screen you won't have to. Tablets have shit battery life, are heavier and don't have e-ink displays which are miles better for reading.
>>
>>83820398
Just buy pic related. I've used a Paperwhite and I like it way better for regular novels but for magazines or anything else where detail and color actually matters a tablet will be way better than any e-ink device.
>>
File: 1.jpg (96 KB, 686x642)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>83820398
I use both, the eInk display is great for text i.e. books, but for manga a tablet is the superior option.
Trying to use only one is a big compromise and you'll hate it.
>>
>>83826007
how do you cope with bringing more devices for you to carry/charge? Not having a laugh here. I really want to try and minimize what i carry.

Hell i'd even go for one of those 2 screen phones (with an e-ink screen on the back)
>>
>>83826082
The eInk reader weighs half as much as the tablet and you won't need to charge it if you're going on a week long vacation, it's not going to make that much of a difference honestly.
Or are you asking about EDC stuff? If so then I only carry my phone and listen to audio books since I don't walk around with a backpack.
>>
>>83823717
Tablets are also better for the interface and general reactivity for input. E-readers are slooooow.
>>
>>83825903
That's not a matter of responsiveness. The reader will begin initializing a new page as soon as you touch it.
>>
>>83825580
They are tablets.
I have my PC monitor next to my bed so watching it from bed isn't an issue.
>>
>>83826164
If you get one of the new Boox readers with Android 10 you can use screencast or similar screensharing and realize they aren't slow at all.
Even with the E ink display they are reasonably fast if you use the faster modes.
>>
I have the Onyx Boox Nova 3 and its amazing, battery lastts for ever i can go and browse 4chins on it, and go to libegen and dl books right from the ereader...
>>
>>83821828
>I guess e-reader might have the psychological effect of reading a book.

Have you ever seen e-ink?
>>
>>83827252
>It's hard for me to read books on my laptop for a long time since I constantly get distracted.
Anon, the amount of time and words youve spent reading shitposts on this place for a week would easily replicate on a book regardless of the device you read with.
Fucking hell, i probably read about as much as 2 encyclopedias with the amount of time i spend last week on 4chan
>>
>>83827338

You are extrapolating the reply to things I didn't highlight. I'm asking if you were serious, e-ink is a whole different thing. It does not give a psychological effect because it is a different technology.
e-ink is to prevent eye strain, if you have to ask people why they would use e-ink instead of led screens, they you don't read that much or you don't care about your eyes at all.

Don't think others do what you do. If you think having an e-reader is not good enough because you could do much more with a tablet, laptop or desktop, fine, but others can read way more for different reasons and led screens are to bright, consume way more power and cause eye strain in the long term. This is /g/, not /basement dwellers/.
>>
>>83821828
iPad has a resolution of 2160 x 1620
The standard 10.3 E ink panel has a resolution of 1404 x 1872.
The difference is minor and for manga it's not relevant since you are most likely going to get stuck with x1200 or x1600 images.
>>
>>83827462
No, this IS /g - basement dwellers/
>>
For me, it's waiting for a color e ink tablet that doesnt lag when reading PDFs and costs less than $400
>>
>>83827501
this. Plus, several sites downgrade the resolution when translators upload the content. That if they didnt ripped it from other chink websites that raped the quality already.
>>
piggybacking off this thread, what e-readers are decent for actual books (no color needed) that are easy to add torrented files to? i heard the kindle makes the process more complicated than some other models.
>>
>>83827603
kindle if you want the cheapest
kobo with koreader if you want the most custom experience
the rest are the same as kobo with different perks. It all comes down to Calibre being able to transfer your files.
It better if you can do it all in a single device like this anon >>83826816. But paying more than $150 for an e-ink reader feels stupid imo.

Personally, id go for a cheap kindle with a USB Type C for faster transfers/epub converts
>>
I want a reader that I can put in pirated books into seamlessly with just drag and drop from PC to reader. Is there something like that? I heard kindles are stuck with the books only from amazon.
>>
>>83827681
Kindles allow you to sideload books via USB, but they are limited to azw, mobi, pdf and txt. You can use Kalibre to convert other formats and handle synchronization.
You can send books via email and they will be converted for you.
Most other readers will handle common formats like epub, mobi, pdf, cbz and so on. Proprietary formats like azw or doc may or may not work.
Boox offer the most flexibility, not only can they be used for piracy on their own but you can also transfer via bluetooth, WiFi or whatever protocol you want in addition to USB.
>>
>>83820398
Get eReader if you're living in wilderness and have no access to electricity.

Otherwise, get a Tablet or phablet or larger phone.
>>
>>83827971
Just checked them out and damn, they're way too expensive. Any budget tier version of them that go under $200?
>>
>>83828453
Poke 3 is $190.
Alternatively you can get a Likebook P6.
Kobo Clara HD is the lowest you should get.
>>
>>83828453
Boyue likebooks (mars, p6, p78, p10 etc.) if you want android, kobo stuff if you're fine not having it.
>>
Inkpad 3 is nice
>>
>>83827971
I should add that pdf aren't going to work well on entry level models. Their hardware is too weak to render complex vectors and the software can't help you with the small screen size.
>>
>>83827660
>>83827971
thanks for the in-depth information, i agree that the pricier models just seem ridiculous to buy under most circumstances. i'll look into the kobo to see if any of the features are worth the added cost (mainly because i would love native epub support) but i may just end up dealing with file conversions for the cheaper kindle.
>>
>>83828631
is there any metric to look for when determining whether an e-reader can handle pdfs well?
>>
>>83828735
from shit to shitter? e-ink devices arent really great with pdfs. At best, maybe check ones with at least 512 RAM or more
>>
>>83828539
>>83828565
Is there a quality difference between kobo and likebook? Seems like the likebook would be pricier because it's more "open" due to being android, but kobo seems more expensive overall.
>>
>>83828735
The 10"+ models tend to do a good job.
For the smaller ones it's mainly the more expensive ones like Boox. The new Kobo Sage is also promising a better experience than the old Forma.
>>
>>83828788
Kobo is considered more polished and has a better track record for support.
Kobo mainly competes with Kindle, they don't really get much pressure from Likebook. Likebook meanwhile needs to be cheaper than Boox and offer more than Kobo.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Kobo-Touchscreen-Waterproof-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B09HSRGZRL/
Anyone follow ereaders for a long time? How is the sale for kobos? Should i wait to get this on black friday, or do these not get a price discount.
>>
>>83828888
They get discounted regularly, often at the same time as Kindles.
>>
>>83828942
Cheers. I'm looking to read light novels in epub format. It's easy to sideload them on kobo, right? I'm probably going to get this one on black friday then.
>>
>>83821358
why would you want e-ink to be 30fps, doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Is it supposed to only change the pixels that are moving so the black of space is effectively 0fps?
>>
>>83828995
I'm used to getting light novels in Aozora format, though you can convert them to epub.
Kobo supports vertical text fine. They have a Japanese dictionary but you need to set the device to Japanese to input Japanese.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.