[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Download.jpg (9 KB, 276x183)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Superlux Edition
How to request:
>Location
>Budget
>Open or closed
>Over-ear or on-ear
>Favorite music (artist or albums, not just genre)
>Preferred sound characteristics/intended use
>Anything else
>>
File: image030.png (397 KB, 624x373)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
Question of the thread: what are your favorite headphones first made 20 or more years ago?
>>
File: 1400421188.jpg (29 KB, 425x467)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>83816527
>>
If the akg k371 and hd600 cost $4000 everyone would say they have phenomenal technicalities.
>>
Friendly reminder that you can skip right to the ultimate end game by buying STAX
>>
File: HD650_1.jpg (190 KB, 1312x1312)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>2 years without dropping headphones once
>buy a new chair and the retarded design of the armrests has caused me to drop them 3 times in a month
I think the balance is off the left ear now, it just sound weaker to me. In terms of quality I don't here anything being fucked up, it just sounds like nothing is properly centered, everything feels like it has a stronger presence on the right side and when I compare it to my cheap shit apple iems they sound more "centered", albeit significantly worse in quality.

I don't know if my brain is playing tricks on me or not but I am annoyed. What are the chances that this actually happened?
>>
>>83816598
sigma balls
>>
>>83817132
And no one would buy them, just like the HD660S is said to have better technicalities but people still prefer the cheaper ones.
>>
>>83818555
Well yeah because of the connection. I mean if neither existed but were then released in a fancier housing at $1000 or $4000
>>
Will I immediately be able to tell the difference between a hd600 and my hd6xx?
I really want a hd600 for nonsensical reasons, always regretted not buying one back when $200 was a big deal for me, but I'm just curious if it will actually sound different.
I have seen some graphs of new pads hd650 2020 and hd600 2020 being effectively identical. Wonder if they cheaped out on the revisions and did make them identical.
>>
>>83818793
The HD700 flopped hard though, and it was the first (and last) of it's series. While the HD800 survived even though people had to mod them to have an agreeable tuning, because of the "technicalities". What makes them different if both had questionable tuning?

>>83818820
They have different tuning and most people can tell the difference. With EQ they are pretty much identical sounding though.
>>
>>83818857
I think you're missing what I said entirely. If none of these other Sennheiser headphones existed and they put out the hd600 at a very high price people would all of a sudden think it has better sound stage, detail, imaging, plankton, etc than they do today.
>>
>>83818894
And my point is that it didn't work for the HD700 (an entirely new design at a more expensive price), people didn't think it was better than it was. The HD600 didn't have much competition when it released so it could have sold well at higher price, but once stuff like the R70X or focal elex people would flock to it as a cheaper "endgame" (and since people who are more budget conscious will be more vocal since they have to assure themselves that they make the right choice since they can't go upper or test a lot of stuff it will take it's place eventually).

And it's not like headphones more expensive than the HD800(S) are said to have better soundstage, that's something that doesn't even seem to be related to price (for example X2HR is known to beat most headphones at a cheaper price, even if doesn't do good in a lot of areas).
>>
has anyone got any good open ear headphones that come to mind?
>>
>>83817168
I had these for like a decade and the same "off center" happened to me when I dropped them. The driver probably got popped out of its holder (the drivers are the little circular things you can see through the grills in the picture). They're made to be removable; no screws are involved. You should just need to pop off the outside grill and press it in again and they should be back to normal. Do both sides to make sure they're both seated the same.
>>
What's the best dac/amp combo for $200-400 to pair with the Sundara? I'm the guy from last thread that was complaining about the Xonar screech. I thought I fixed it but it happened twice in the last few days and I refuse to lose my hearing because some Asus shithead can't program drivers correctly.
>>
Should i get dts?
Do they do much of anything?
>>
>>83819737
The usual suspects apply as sundaras aren't hard to drive. So the JDS atom stack, Schiit magni and modi, fiio K5 pro and topping L30 and D10. All of these are good and you shouldn't be able to hear a difference between them.
>>
If you did away with the status flexing in how people arbitrarily rank headphones in price (low, mid, high-fi) people would be more objective about judging headphones. Too bad, people in this hobby are more interested in thinking TOTL in price has to be the absolute best, which just makes companies prioritize those flagships more and more.
>>
File: 800x-1.jpg (63 KB, 800x533)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
In January 2015, I went to help a buddy out with his booth at CES (unrelated to audio he was making a nanofluid for computer LC systems)

I went to the Sennheiser booth at the end of one of the days when things were winding down. At the time, the most expensive set of headphones I had listened to were some HD280 Pros.

Started shooting the shit with one of the booth dudes, he was pretty laid back, and it was late enough in the day he was just completely finished.

He invited me to the glass listening booth, and brought me straight to the headphones in the back left, and said, "Hey, listen to these, they'll blow your mind"

I didn't know it at the time, but he had lead me to a pair of Orpheus HE90 headphones, with tubes that had been warmed up all day.

I put them on, and they sounded good and all, but the music that was preselected was a recording of a live concert of the rolling stones. I was wearing what (at the time) were the most expensive, highest class headphones of all time, and (also at the time) Sennheiser's only offering of electrostatic headphones, and I was being forced to listen to a gritty poorly recorded boomer rock track from a band that was never known for sounding particularly good.

I have NO idea how good those headphones are, and I will never get the opportunity to listen to a pair of headphones that expensive ever again. All because of shitty audio.
>>
>>83820929
It is known that if a product is below a certain price audiophiles (or is it the fools? Hard to say) won't even consider a product. It benefits the smart buyer as chi-fi and these smaller operations have come in and made A+ gear at B tier pricing so one doesn't need to spend thousands of shekels to get high performing gear.
>>
>>83817132
and thats why the HD820s did so well right?
>>
>>83820999
>All because of shitty audio.
Its not easy to find technically good audio that
>was not recorded on a potato
>was actually a good performance
>was not stored and copied over and over on some lossy shit medium like vinyl or analog tape
>had not some lossy filtering done to it, like playing it through a fucking light bulb to get that "warm and fuzzy" (noisy and distorted) tube sound
>had not all the dynamic range mixed away to make the CD or iTunes version sound louder on mobile speakers
AND be some genre or band you like. It's a really sad state of affairs and really put the question of "which headphones are the best?!" into perspective. You don't really get much more of an experience out of it if you use 2000€ over 200€ headphones.
>>
>>83820999
>>83821052
Plus and yet people seem to obsess more over minor technical details, like if it's 24bit flac or 320kbps MP3. As if it makes any difference for listening (editing aside).
>>
>>83821083
dumbass mp3 is a 30 year old codec most people can hear its artifacts clear as day
>>
>>83821108
Troll or retard?
>>
>>83821117
Probably a bat. Beware of batposting in audio threads as they want to spread FUD.
>>
>>83821052
Yeah, but you'd think a company like Sennheiser would at least choose SOMETHING to show off the quality of the headphones. This was their preselected track.

I feel such loss thinking about how much of an audiophile I've become now, and all of the really GOOD recordings I've come across, and I can only think back of that experience with dread.

I would rather anything studio produced than some live performance where everything is so distorted and to choose something so old.
>>
>have E10k solely for DAC after doing an amp upgrade
>decide to get a better DAC
>find used atom+ DAC for a good deal
>hear a notable increase in sound quality
Notable, but not night and day. I was surprised by the fidelity increase (basically in my case some of the mids came to the fore rather than being recessed behind everything else) but I am pleased with the upgrade - especially as there is little reason to go any further outside of featureset (connections and the like) as the atom DAC is one of those units that is clean to human hearing.
>>
I think I prefer the HD 598 to the HD 600 and I can't explain why.
>>
>>83821005
Blows me away sometimes how certain products aren't even considered due to their price. Especially amps and DACs, for some reason. The prices of sources get absurd and people willingly shill for companies. Utter insanity.
>>
>>83821287
Does it matter? (hint:no)
>>
>>83821329
"If a 1000 shekel product sounds this good, what can you do for 2000?" is how these people think.
>>
>>83821337
It would be kinda nice to have an explanation for why I'm enjoying more expensive and technically superior headphones less than my old ones, if only to make it less galling that I blew 300 dollars for an entire new product when 20 dollars worth of replacement parts would've given me something I like better.
>>
>>83821108
Fuck you Zishan nigger
>>
>>83819045
Because they measured like shit.
The reason I said akg k371 and hd600 is because of how good they are.
If campfire released a Andromeda under a new name and look for $150 people would say it has inferior technicalities to the original Andromeda but "is good for the money"
>>
>>83821013
Measured like shit, was objectively a bad headphone.
>>
>>83820929
>>83821005
>>83821329
>>83821349
Name a piece of relatively cheap audio gear that is better (not just for the price, but in absolute terms) than a significantly more expensive alternative.
Hard mode: not the M40X.
>>
>>83819737
Even a E10K should do the job since they are quite low impedance.
Unless your integrated sound card is really shit, even that alone could be enough.
>>
File: 1616791923518.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1440)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>83816184
TL;DR - Comfiest full size cans under £40?

>Location
UK.
>Budget
<£40 (might be tempted up to £50 if there's nothing good at a lower price, but I can't really go over that)
>Open or closed
Prefer closed (or semi-closed).
>Over-ear or on-ear
Over.
I listen to pretty much everything besides classical and jazz. Primarily post-punky stuff, rock and metal.
I guess I would appreciate something more neutral sounding (monitor?) which lets me hear the songs as they were intended.
Intended use is just listening to music + watching movies and chinese cartoons at home.
>Anything else
My priority is having a pair of cans I can wear for long periods of time without discomfort. My current ones have pretty small openings for the ears, and the pads are thin, so they press on my ears and become painful during long periods of use.
I'd like some big cans with nice deep comfy earpads.
>>
>>83821858
Schiit magni is better than the RebelAmp.
>>
File: 1631199744916.gif (568 KB, 240x291)
568 KB
568 KB GIF
>he trusts "blind tests" when the average person cannot even distinguish pitch
>>
>>83822378
>Can't trust blind tests because people are useless
>Can't trust objective measurements because fuck you my coconut audio cable makes a difference
Is the only path to hit random item on Amazon and order the first DAC, amp and headphones that pop up?
>>
why is it that old headphone models from well over a decade ago are still in production and only getting more and more expensive with every passing year

in some cases they seem to have doubled or more in price vs 5 or so years ago
>>
>>83822491
no, the path is choosing what's right for you while ignoring trannime posters
>>
Does anyone use a rack or divider of sorts for larger amp/dac stacks like the Modius/Magnius/A90/D90?

>>83822528
Because people get tricked by hype and put the idea of a flagship on a pedestal. The DAC Stealth, Meze Elite, LCD-5 this year is proof of that. People actually want them instead of seeing how unreasonable it is. Your DT880 of years back still competes with many, many headphones that are way above its price range.
>>
>>83822491
>objective measurements
Literally the first thing they teach you on your very first physics class is that there is no such thing as an objective, exact measurement.

Of course, I don't expect science worshipers to actually know anything about science.
>>
>>83822528
Which models do you have in mind?
>>
>>83822673
For things like amps and DACs the measurements are accurate enough to determine if the device is within range of human hearing. Degree of accuracy motherfucker. Nobody cares - or can hear - the difference in 0.001264 or 0.00736% THD but both numbers tell you you aren't hearing it.
>>
>>83822673
This is what common core teaches you
>>
Shure SRH240A vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M20X?
>>
Man I hate when the chinks in Amazon sell earpads made with "protein leather" "synthetic leather" or any fucking sentence containing the word "leather" when there's no fucking leather in the product whatsoever.
>>
File: frequencyr.png (11 KB, 444x265)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
any headphones that look like pic related on a graph?
>>
low gain or high gain setting on the atom amp for DT770s 250ohm???
>>
>>83822658
>Does anyone use a rack or divider of sorts for larger amp/dac stacks like the Modius/Magnius/A90/D90?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087FBP91T
I used this as a divider for a while with my topping 90 stack, ended up causing too much annoyances whenever I tried to switch amps and I ended up ditching it.
>>
File: 1628918810599.jpg (46 KB, 369x271)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
what's a good amp/dac stack i can get for my hd599s? $270 max
>>
>>83824528
Use as low gain as is needed to get desired volume.
>>
>>83824604
I'm fond of the JDS atom as I like the small black box look.
>>
>>83824451
just use eq
>>
>>83822966
I have no idea what "common core" is.
>>
>HD600 now leave mark on my bald head
Hairlet bros how do I solve this?
>>
File: Sans titre.png (58 KB, 459x352)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
what does this mean? anybody tried it?
>>
>>83824809
It is a waste of time unless you are a bat or elephant. Windows uses 32 bit float before mixing down so any loss us far outside of hearing range. ASIO is a method of having exclusive lock on an audio device.
>>
File: 1632710889933.jpg (6 KB, 200x202)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>83824451
https://youtu.be/IMQTVQDHOPE
>>
>>83824800
Finasteride
>>
HD330bros? Should I uncoil my cable?
>>
>>83819569
Superlux HD330 is all I can recommend. I can hear music and anime sounds so clearly now.
>>
File: 20211014_102155.jpg (776 KB, 1209x1612)
776 KB
776 KB JPG
They came bros
>>
i can't tell if my 560s are unbalanced or if i'm just imagining it, it seems like most sounds are coming from the left side.
>>
>>83825712
You can try playing a mono sound and if the image isn't perfectly at center there is an imbalance. Or try to measure it. I occasionally think one side is not balanced even with speakers which is easy to adjust and measure, but it's good to know that it's just my imagination.
>>
File: 130745129727.png (71 KB, 238x202)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>83816184
>Location
Australia
>Budget
up to around $250
>Open or closed
Closed
>Over-ear or on-ear
Over
Hard to say, listen to too much different shit
Not very sound knowledgeable, all I can really say is that I'm wanted them pretty much purely for listening to music but I want headphones that convey deep/bass-y noises better than my current pair, which are too weak/light IMO, something where you can 'feel' low beats and bass, for lack of a better word?
>>
is this link from the sticky still the best way to learn what you guys are talking about?

>https://pastebin.com/TcTS8Tsn
>>
File: whichone.png (20 KB, 468x585)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>83824886
does it matter which one of these I select ?
>>
>>83825876
Not especially as long as it is a format your DAC supports. If unsure stick to 24 bit/44.1khz as that is supported by everything.
>>
Serious question: why do high end headphones use double input cables (one goes inside each can) but less expensive headphones tend to use just one, with the other being wired through the headband?

It doesn't make much sense to me, isn't the double cable, symmetric option less expensive to produce?
>>
>>83825577
Audeze nuts lol
>>
>>83826485
Because perfectly symmetric cans means there isn't any acoustic imbalance due to it's structure (plus vibrations going from one can to the other). Sure it's an inaudible difference, but the typical one they'll go in higher end products.
>>
>>83825822
ATH-M50X ($150)
beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO ($160)
>>
>>83826529
Thank you
>>
File: 1607273316102.jpg (982 KB, 1134x2016)
982 KB
982 KB JPG
Stuck some Brainwavz memory foam pads on AKG K371 - way way way comfier; my ears don't touch the drivers anymore and the shitty pleather was heating up my ears way too fast.
>>
Alright frens I have a question. I have a pair of HD599s, and they are great, but I use them for everything, including gayming, and the open back nature causes feedback and echo issues sometimes. So what would we recommend as some closed headphones?
>>
>>83826918
AKG k371
>>
>>83826869
Chunky ear pads are chunky.
>>
>>83827001
CHONK. The stock pads are so thin. My ears don't even protrude much and they still touched the drivers. The chunky brainwavz pads are mega comfy but I do feel like they changed the sound a bit (increased sound stage, instruments seem more recessed, higher volume needed).
>>
What wireless headphones are the best between the new QC45, the NC700, and the XM-4?
Doing a lot of flying around, want some NC headphones.
>>
>>83821365
you probably just like niggerbass and don't know it.
>>
>>83826869
do they change the sound at all?
>>
File: IMG_4086.jpg (657 KB, 1536x2048)
657 KB
657 KB JPG
>>83816184
>dragonfly black
>philips fidelio x3
pretty comfy setup bros
>>
>>83827108
Yes, see >>83827039
>>
>>83827039
That is caused by being further away from the driver.
>>
>>83827122
they didn't make them sound bad though right?
>>
>>83827122
>>83827138
cause one time i swapped pads on my m40x what fucking z said, and it made them sound worse, like way fucking worse
>>
>>83827084
Probably the XM-4: best ANC (although the Boses both have good ANC) and also LDAC if you are interested in that kind of thing. From what I have heard, the NC700 have better microphones so take that into account if you plan on using them for calls
>>
File: 81LkbsHIe1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (131 KB, 1219x1500)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Is there a chart with headphones at each budget/ear type?

My ATH-AD500x's wire is getting frayed and one of the wing supports. Should I just buy another for $86?
>>
>>83822098
Also poorfag
From EU with 50€ max budget. What can I get?
>>
File: audioquestforaudiofools.png (1.35 MB, 3204x3116)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>83827116
Imagine being so fucking stupid you think you can hear the difference a dac makes, and going beyond that to buy an AUDIOQUEST product

Audioquest-- the company that makes DIRECTIONAL "tiers" of hdmi, ethernet, and toslink cables costing from from $500 to $10,000! Can't afford the diamond ethernet cable? Maybe go with the cinnamon tier for just $1500!

You can't pass a blind test with that thing, but even if you could its measurements are worse than a $9 apple usb-c adapter. Yikes.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-dacport-hd-and-dragonfly-red.5977/

>b-b-but trust me guys this ONE product is actually really good and not placebo

Great cope, anyone who buys something from this company should be euthanized, or at least stripped of the right to reproduce. Pathetic but not surprised bestbuy didn't clean up the audiofool bullshit when they acquired magnolia. This shit is supposed to fool dumb boomers with aged ears, but somehow this dac filth has made its way to young 4channers that have never bothered to do a blind test when the volume is the same. Your dragonfly dac is a cheap aliexpress generic rebranded--pure placebo--like all audioquest products
>>
>>83827441
hello sirs I need to know is it worth extra $1100 to get dragon hdmi or will firebird be okay? how much percent better is dragon, will it be enough for my vizio tv please help sirs

I have dragonfly dac but hope to upgrade one day, garbage in garbage out purest signal for my headphones
>>
>>83827149
>>83827138
I'll be honest, I don't have the the best hearing. I'm almost 30 and have tinnitus (bzzzzzzz eeeeeeee). I'm not an audiophile either, I just have fidelio x2hr and these akg k371s.

I did notice a difference in sound when I changed the earpads but I'm not sure if I would call it "worse".

Changing the pads was kind of a pain in the ass and I don't want to bother with putting stocks back on to compare.
>>
>>83827441
it only costed like £80 bongs. it's hardly a $5000 cable
i'll admit the difference between the internal chip on the laptop and the dragonfly isn't massive, but i didn't really know where else to start.
>>
Dreamt about the audeze crbn again.. damn i really need to hear it... 300 grams weight estat. Has subbass that doesnt roll off. Supposed to sound like hd650 in mids and treble.. endgame?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (431 KB, 3000x1836)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
>>83827542
Looks sick af too
>>
>>83827505
>>83827441
>>83827507
Contrary to the entire headphone "communities" on reddit, no one has been able to pass a blind test between the highest end, best measured amp/dacs and something cheap like a fiio when the volumes are the same (and eq applied if there are any defects)

The reason for this is simple--dacs are all able to do their job well below the threshold of human hearing, and amps are able to do their job within +/- 0.25db among the audible frequency range, which is also far below the threshold of human hearing

As a result you have entire cesspools of retards arguing about amps and dacs, "upgrading", "sidegrading", etc when this money should just be spent on better cans

Anyone that even claims they can hear a difference is mistaken, since human echoic memory only lasts a few seconds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory

Surprisingly a redditor caught on that amps/dacs are bullshit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/em2m4z/the_9_apple_usbc_to_35mm_adapter_performs_on_par/

It's known in the industry that amps, dacs, and cables have obscenely high margins. Consider that all schiit products sound acoustically identical to one another, and the cost of producing the different tiers is small. There are forums where some members have discovered a lot of the popular amps/dacs have ICs and circuits that do nothing, not even picking up current, just there to impress

__

A fair analogy would be if you were trying to get the most CPU performance out of your PC, but chose to spend your time dumping thousands of dollars into exotic and increasingly more expensive rebranded thermal compounds that come from 1 of 3 labs, and perform essentially the same--instead of just buying a fucking nicer cpu

If audiophiles really care about the best sound quality, they'd man the fuck up, learn the basics of human hearing and how to take and interpret measurements, bust out acoustic treatment, and learn EQ
>>
>>83827716
are you going to engage in conversation here or just spout pastas
>>
>>83816184
>>Location
UK
>>Budget
Possibly £200
>>Open or closed
Closed
>>Over-ear or on-ear
Over
>>Favorite music (artist or albums, not just genre)
Usually things with a lot of bass. Witch house, metal, EDM, all that gay shit.
>>Preferred sound characteristics/intended use
I will mainly use it for music and games. Mainly horror games and FPS.
>>
>>83827716
Maybe you replied to wrong post but I never said anything about amps/dacs. Cool post, though.
>>
>>83827716
>Contrary to the entire headphone "communities" on reddit, no one has been able to pass a blind test between the highest end, best measured amp/dacs and something cheap like a fiio when the volumes are the same

In the loudspeaker space, there was the classic richard clark amplifier challenge. $10,000 was given to anyone that could hear a difference in a fair blind test (volumes the same, neither amp pushing so much power there is clipping, EQ applied if any defects, any flagship loudspeaker could be used). Turns out no one could pass, and the results are essentially dead even 50-50 between a cheap $200 home theater receiver and a flagship audiofool dac -> preamp -> dual monoblock setup that can run upwards of $150k

https://web.archive.org/web/20130716171611/http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/2htd0d/richard_clark_10000_amplifier_challenge_faq_no/

^^^ Back when the audiophile board wasn't run by consoomers that mass downvote anything that challenges their precious purchasing decisions

When it comes to buying an amp/dac its actually quite simple--get something that can provide ample volume, and then consider any software features you may need.

(Do note that doubling rms wattage only gives you +3db, so the differences between 100 watt rms and 25 watt rms isnt as large as you think.)

If you're rocking headphones, plug them into your devices and verify that they get loud and there isn't any obvious electrical noise or beeps from a lack of internal shielding. These days, cheap usb-c adapters have great performance but might not get loud enough. Onboard audio now meets or exceeds the measurements of most of these schiit products anyway, especially in consumer devices like macbooks.
>>
>>83827736
fuck i totally replied to the wrong posts, guess im the brainlet after all
>>
>>83827824
>>83827807
>>83827824

>Maybe you replied to wrong post but I never said anything about amps/dacs. Cool post, though.

>fuck i totally replied to the wrong posts, guess im the brainlet after all

<|:^)
>>
>>83827441
if you spent your time at a job instead of seething about being poor on the internet, maybe you too would be able to afford a cheap dongle DAC
>>
File: 1633224703633.png (280 KB, 500x716)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
>>83816184
any cheaper alternatives to the brainwavz pads?

for increasing comfort on a budget pair of cans, it seems pretty silly to be spending almost as much on a pair of pads as the cans themselves cost
>>
>>83825843
please help is there a video I can watch that will explain all of this? i am so confused. bit depth, frequency, impedance, all of it
>>
File: 1630079924168.png (38 KB, 578x712)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>83827905
>>
>>83827966
They're like 15-20 off Amazon. What cans do you have that they cost around $20?

The only alternatives I know of are probably some chink pads off aliexpress; it'll be a huge gamble in terms of quality and fit.
>>
>>83827990
it's a normal compact DAC and headphone amp in a nice aluminum case sold at a reasonable price. why are you so angry about it? you seem unhinged.
>>
>>83827993
i was thinking of getting a pair of tascam th-02

here on amazon the brainwavz pads cost equivalent of $30 while the tascam cans cost $37.50
>>
File: 1634232167623.png (476 KB, 800x445)
476 KB
476 KB PNG
My dog dropped my Sundaras... God fucking dammit

How do I check for damage?
>>
>>83817132
Probably. I mean the focal utopia exists and is kinda like a hd600
>>
>>83828583
Listen to them.
>>
>>83828583
https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_index.php

Listen to the stuff here. I do the full sine sweep and the one that targets bass. If it sound normal then its prob ok.
>>
>>83828635
Seems fine, bass doesn't increase that smoothly though
>>
File: 1563996283499.jpg (16 KB, 325x236)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I love my Sundara
Sometimes I wish they were closed

Is my best bet an Aeon 2 Noire?

I have an amp calable of 1W at 32ohm and with quiet movies I sometimes push it towards 2'o clock which is near its limit for clipping, are the Aeon 2 Noire more hungry than the Sundara?
>>
>>83827716
>>83827808
"Blind tests" are a meme when the majority of the population is literally tone deaf.
Your stale pasta fails to take into account that the vast majority of people are shit listeners. Many can't even tell the difference between an acoustic and a classical guitar, how can you trust their ability to judge audio gear?
>>
>>83826516
kek
>>
File: HD300Pro-large.jpg (36 KB, 569x750)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Im looking for cheap hearpads for my hd 300 pro
can someone help me to find a set?
I'm in America
>>
>>83829488
>"Blind tests" are a meme when the majority of the population is literally tone deaf.
>Your stale pasta fails to take into account that the vast majority of people are shit listeners. Many can't even tell the difference between an acoustic and a classical guitar, how can you trust their ability to judge audio gear?

They don't have to identify what is what, they must merely be able to tell that two sound different (google how A/B/X testing works). This is nothing like telling an acoustic from classical guitar, and the differences would be trivial to spot in A/B/X conditions.

Testing is done with trained listeners and kids, there are benchmarks to determine test subjects that can distinguish more minute differences. Audiofools should do double blind tests to quantify the differences they're paying for. Once they realize all dacs (and practically all amps) sounds the same to them, but loudspeakers sound significantly different from one another, and room acoustics make even larger differences, theyll stop arguing about amps and cables and start doing shit to actually audibly improve sound. Just look at any audiophile forum and laugh at the poorly positioned speakers with bare brick walls... often powered by $100k placebo amp stacks... yikes

Anyone that understands the limits of the ear can automatically tell why amps/dacs are acoustically transparent. Considering the amount of THD that would need to be present, or how many db from linearity you would need in an eq band, makes it immediately clear that even the best listeners physically can't tell a difference since measured performance is often orders of magnitudes past what any humans has able to distinguish.

A double blind test is the golden standard for determining if two stimuli can be differentiated from one another, and you think consumer audio is magically different? Imagine thinking researchers don't sample to account for variances in human hearing ability... dunning-kruger in action
>>
$20 Koss + EQ is literally endgame.
>>
An interview with the man himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7vnKHxtVUE
>>
>>83829488
If you wanted to say you are an idiot you didn't need to use so many words.
>>
File: D0oYL_XU0AAMiG0.jpg (49 KB, 640x853)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>83830712
thank you mr olive
>>
Just coming here to say kph30i is the best headphone I've used so far. Owned DT770 Pro, CAL!, and a bunch of chinkshit like superlux, but this one lasts, and sounds amazing.
>>
>>83821365
Do you have an amp?
>>
>>83829488
>"Blind tests" are a meme... majority of the population is literally tone deaf.
>how can you trust their ability to judge audio gear?

jesus christ

>>83830725
>If you wanted to say you are an idiot you didn't need to use so many words.
This

>>83830233
>A double blind test is the golden standard for determining if two stimuli can be differentiated from one another, and you think consumer audio is magically different? Imagine thinking researchers don't sample to account for variances in human hearing ability... dunning-kruger in action
Unironically this
>>
>>83831298
Not a great one, just a Fulla 2. Would it be a big difference if I upgraded?
>>
>>83822966
No it isn't you dumb fuck. Understanding that you can pick and choose exactly how you make measurements is standard fucking knowledge, and scientists have to share EXACTLY how they made their measurements when writing a report otherwise people can't properly test if they get the same measurements or not. Retard.
>>
E-MU Teaks are breddy good. Think if i het something else in the future I'm looking at maybe LCD2/LCD4. I listen mostly to techno and house with occasional rock n roll. But so far the teaks satisfied my over ear urge after getting some comfy IEMs
>>
>>83822378
>>83822673
>Literally the first thing they teach you on your very first physics class is that there is no such thing as an objective, exact measurement.
You fucking stupid moron there's precision and margin of error. With an A/B/X test and a large enough sample size, it is possible to reliably quantify the threshold of human hearing. A/B/X testing is standard for determining what is and isn't placebo

>Of course, I don't expect science worshipers to actually know anything about science.
You retard this "dilemma" you've described is basic and accounted for

This has to be bait

>>83822789
>For things like amps and DACs the measurements are accurate enough to determine if the device is within range of human hearing. Degree of accuracy motherfucker. Nobody cares - or can hear - the difference in 0.001264 or 0.00736% THD but both numbers tell you you aren't hearing it.
Exactly

>>83831856
>Understanding that you can pick and choose exactly how you make measurements is standard fucking knowledge, and scientists have to share EXACTLY how they made their measurements when writing a report otherwise people can't properly test if they get the same measurements or not. Retard.
Lol you're a moron, they dont just share how they took their measurement and all is good. If following an agreed upon measuring procedure multiple independent people/groups produce similar results within margin of error, then a measurement is trusted.

This is all beyond the point, no one can pass an A/B/X test, and if they realized the differences were so small they're quite literally inaudible to the human ear, they'd stop wasting money upgrading their dacs and cables and just buy better headphones... or loudspeakers... or acoustic treatment--all of which produce measured differences orders of magnitude larger but more importantly produce differences that are AUDIBLE to the ear
>>
>>83832175
>what is and isn't placebo
but people actually experience the placebo effect. why are you trying to ruin everyone's fun? why must everyone use the most utterly cheap, ugly, flimsy gear for you to be happy?
>>
anyone know a good place to test out high-end cans in nyc?
considering upgrading into the ~$1k price tier so should probably try out all that I can
>>
>>83832517

better headphones isnt placebo

eq isnt placebo

acoustic treatment isnt placebo

better loudspeakers isnt placebo

dual subs isnt placebo

Fucking audiophiles always have the shittiest sounding setups. Any cheap speakers in a treated room honestly sound better. Timmys sennheiser headphone, $150 cable, and $500 schiit amp/dac sounds exactly like... a $200 headphone plugged directly into his phone. Coulda got some audezes or fostex 900s or whatever and have some fun, but instead dumped money on dumb shit

It's like paying $2500 for a custom rig you're so proud of, except it only has an i3 and a gtx 1050 and instead you spent $2000 of that budget on cooling believing that you've hit the peak of no conceivable performance gains
>>
>>83832757
but it looks better. you want me to have to look at ugly cheap third-world gear every fucking day so i can save a few hundred dollars that i'll just make in one morning before i've even finished my coffee. you literally are not going to shut up until everyone has the ugliest cheapest gear because you want to constantly scream about measurements. yes, it sounds the same. who fucking cares?
>>
>>83832777

>buying and setting up a useless external SCHIIT dac/amp with cable clutter looks better than just plugging it into his macbook and calling it a day

kill yourself
>>
>>83829507
can someone please help?
>>
>>83832855
give up, anon. you can't stop people from enjoying things by telling them there are cheaper things they could enjoy slightly less.
>>
>>83821052
are you retarded? i can get flacs of any genre of hardcore, dnb, hardtek, techno, lolicore, mashcore, complextro, dubstep, breakbeat, trance, frenchcore, gabbers, uk hardcore, hardstyle, porntek, construction, hyper denpa, edm, getty,
all fully digital
Refine your music taste. Grow up.
>>
>>83832906
You're just not getting it. It's not that cheaper gear exists, it's that people are buying extra gear thats unnecessary, cringe, clutter, and does nothing INSTEAD of buying nice gear
>>
>>83833095
what? amir's chart shows a whole row of DACs of utterly identical quality, and then three on the far right end that some people might be able to pick out as slightly noisier in ideal laboratory conditions.
>>
i love my cloud alpha, bought it 5 years ago for $100 and it still runs, only had to replace pads. dunno what i'll buy when it eventually fails in a decade
>>
File: kennerton-magni-fa.jpg (1.06 MB, 2000x1049)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
Just ordered Kennerton Magni, Bog Oak
>>
>>83821858
HD58X is better than the HD660S for a quarter the price.
>>
File: 2bGopnik.jpg (113 KB, 850x1020)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>83816184
Hello, asking for help from anyone that has repaired or modded their headphones
My current situation is that I am taking all my university courses from home, my loud and crowded home. I have two over ear headphones
>JBL Everest Elite 750nc
It was originally my younger brothers but he doesn't use them anymore so I'm taking them. I don't know what he did but no sound comes out of the left ear piece and the noise cancellation seems to be reduced as well. It feels very wonky and almost uncomfortable for long periods of time. Has anyone here opened up theirs and fixed similar issues?
>Sony mdr xb450
Really basic headphones that have lasted me a long time. They let in a lot of ambient noise so I was wondering of there is any way to mod them to make them closed? I'm not sure of the open/closed in headphones is because of the ear padding, housing, or electricals
If its hopeless I almost have enough saved for some new noise cancelling/closed headphones. Someone recommended me some Sennheisers but I forget the exact model.
>>
File: 2021-10-13.jpg (2.04 MB, 4032x3024)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
Monoprice dual THX dac/amp finally restocked
I've taken the cups off already and i'm going to have my sister who's in engineering college 3d print some open back replacements

>>83818820
i bought the HD6XX and haven't taken them out of the box since the weekend I got them. I was thoroughly unimpressed.
>>
>>83824809
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

>>83824886
windows audio mixer is fucking trash
>>
File: IMG_20211015_000456.jpg (2.79 MB, 4000x3000)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>83834780
man that's ridiculous, I even use my ath m50 with hyperx cloud pads, from 2009, at least once a year for shits.
without EQ they're very fucking good, not hd600 good but good, and with EQ they sound great.
My other headphones are LCD2F, hd660s, hd650, he500, dt990 250, ath m50(not x). That's in order of most used to least. Haven't used any without Harman EQ in years.
What exactly is wrong with them to you? The distortion is inaudible at safe listening levels, even with bass shelf, they're light.
Problems are that they're very insensitive, I basically use my magni 3 at 100% high gain with them. Too much subbass makes them physically vibrate to the point of distracting from the music. Shitty bass extension with no EQ.
Really nice amplifier btw, love all amps with screens.
>>
just bought some monoprice BT-600s, they come in tmr, how badly did I fuck up
>>
File: 2021-10-14.jpg (1.84 MB, 4032x3024)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>83835308
i haven't been running any EQ though I did experiment with using some parametric EQ settings from [spoiler]reddit[/spoiler] when i first got the hd6xx
your post made me realize I'd only listened to them through my surround receiver and phone, which have shitty and mediocre headphone ports respectively.
connected to the monoprice amp they sound much better, very close to the M1060C in fact, but with far less punchy bass (though more even vocals, less sibilance) and significantly less volume, like 20dB difference for the same volume through the amp (though the amp does have lower output for non-balanced cables)
the HD6XX don't sound bad per se, but they were the first 3 figure pair of headphones I'd bought and I expected them to be more... exciting I guess. perhaps I underestimated how much bass I like.

tried the amp in analog mode, sounds great despite not being a true analog amp (it does ADC > DAC for EQ purposes, though I'm not using them currently)
turntable is a technics sl-1300 my uncle trashpicked, with the original Stanton 681eee cartridge. I imported a replacement stylus from JICO. preamp is a Schiit Mani, which I was previously not very happy with as it seems to pick up some RFI, but the adjustable gain turned out to be very useful as it was triggering the clipping protection on the amp at anything above the lowest gain level
>>
Measurements are only as good as the people looking at them. A DAC with 15% 2nd order distortion 0.5% 3rd order distortion will be audibly transparent but a DAC with 1% 2nd order distortion 1% 3rd order distortion won't be despite having higher SINAD. A 5W headphone amp with 120dB SINAD may still hiss with IEMs. And don't get me started on headphone measurements. If you know what to look for you'll have some insight but those big beautiful numbers aren't all what they're cracked up to be.
>>
>>83834780
>>83835454
the cable is from hart audio btw, i'm very pleased with it

>>83835448
>wireless
>active noise cancelling
now what I'd buy but report back with what you think

>>83835464
tangentially related but harman target curve is fucking stupid and sounds bad, especially the later revisions
>>
NTR is unironically the best reviewer in the hobby.
>>
Why don't they make usb c headphones since all the headphone jacks are gone from phones now
>>
>>83835966
some phones have an analog headphone output mode on USB-C.
>>
File: 47186945cf94.jpg (88 KB, 640x514)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Convert to speakers before it's too late, anons!
Tinnitus awaiting you at 30! Balding from headphones is real!
Repent you headphone ways!
>>
>>83835719
ASR is the only online reviewer you can trust and yourself. Any "hey these aren't fun sounds duuude" is a shit review.
>>
>>83835464
>A 5W headphone amp with 120dB SINAD may still hiss with IEMs
why would you? basically you are saying " if you are a clueless retard you deserve what you get" thanks sherlock
>>
>>83835485
>harman target curve is fucking stupid and sounds bad
it doesn't. strongly depends on your hearing in treble, if you are very young it sounds great, I'm old so I really do not like that bass bump
>>
Aeon X Closed is on sale for $379 if anyone cares.
>>
>>83833128
The trick to Amir's charts is understanding the presented data. The red stuff is "will probably hear distortion when pushed hard", the green is "unlikely to hear distortion" and blue is "never going to hear distortion". From that point it is much easier to make informed decisions on rather than worrying about the measurable but irrelevant difference between 120 and 100 sinad.
>>
>>83836746
no, green is also "never going to hear distortion". he uses the charts to tell lies.
>>
>>83836799
>can spend $100 on a 100 different DACS
>purposefully choose to spend money on a DAC with flaws
perfect choice costs absolutely nothing extra
>>
>>83836822
not content to have me agree that your DAC is right for you, you simply must insist that mine is wrong for me. this is mental illness.
>>
File: 1617821049638.jpg (133 KB, 900x900)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>83832175
>>
>>83830233
>>83831459
>>83830725
G-ddamn the anti-audiophile cult is real, GUTB was right all along.
>>
>>83829395
>Sometimes I wish they were closed
They wouldn't sound nearly as good if they were closed.

Why is everyone here so obsessed with closed headphones? Just get IEMs at that point.
>>
>>83836842
mental illness is denying physics. you are simply butthurt your choice wasn't objective, I bet you pretend you can hear DACs too.
>>
>>83836220
nah just look at fr charts after you've got a bunch of headphones and find qualities that you like. it took me awhile to realize i like headphones with exaggerated upper mids that some people find "shouty/honky" and a bit of recessed treble (think audeze tier treble) and a nice subbass boost at under 60 hz w/ flat 60hz to 250 hz.

asr puts too much emphasis on harman curve which i think sounds fine but i don't prefer it over the tuning of my fave headphones with the characteristics i stated earlier. not a bad sounding curve tho overall just stating what i feel.
>>
>>83837124
no, i said the opposite. his DAC chart tells what i am telling you: the vast majority of DACs sound utterly identical. but after making the chart, he writes stories about his DAC measurements that contain lies. one example of his lies is the green category, which is utterly identical in performance to the blue category. you believed that lie. the reason he lies is because he's corrupt, and he's paid by manufacturers to describe differences that don't exist in his measurements. it's an extremely cynical website.
>>
i bought harmonicdyne poseidons
what decent dac/amp should i get along with it that wont make me much poorer than i already am
>>
>>83837206
if you do not understand the data it's on you.
all he is saying why buy something worse for same price.
>>
File: 20211015_041228.jpg (2.23 MB, 4032x1960)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>>83837222
Try on the computer first. Seems to be as efficient as a focal utopia which sounds fine on my phone and pc. I even have a rme adi-2 dac(w/ built in amp) that measures well to compare and i spot no difference.
>>
>>83837259
you seem to be missing the point. he tells you that something's worse for the same price, while his data shows that it's the same for the same price. it's fair to say "if you don't understand the data, then that's on you" with a web site that merely presents data, but he instead uses the data as set dressing for stories he tells misinterpreting the data. he does this on purpose to deceive people.
>>
>>83837329
you realize there is hundreds of people who know how to read the data and agree with the data?
there is no story, only the data
he says himself dac is the least important part of the equation.
>>
>>83837193
>and yourself
thanks for agreeing with me. any audio reviewer who operates on "muddy and silky" is not worth listening to.
>>
File: 1609544974679.jpg (155 KB, 1500x1000)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Anyone know if any of the Brainwavz aftermarket pads fit on the Koss UR20?

The stock ones look like shit (pic rel) which is putting me off buying them.
>>
File: 1629712778755.jpg (57 KB, 878x1488)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>83837508
Another pic for the shape of the cans.
>>
>>83837508
At face value any pad of the same size can be made to fit.
>>
>>83836243
But that's the thing, they also may not hiss. Amir started doing a test for that some time ago but SINAD alone won't tell you that.
>>
File: maybeideal.jpg (41 KB, 1391x338)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>83837500
no prob anon. pic related is maybe what im hearing after eqing my fave headphone a bit (the red are the corrections) and my ideal fr for now. just minor touch up altho it still sounds find even with the midrange "V" dip in its stock form.
i won't know the true results tho unless I get a measuring rig for myself;-;
>>
>>83837618
I had a veeery slight "rumble" when GPU load was over 30% on my dac, it annoyed the heck out of me.
If you use something for 2h a day, sure, it's not a big deal, but if it's 10h+ the factor is important.
>>
>>83837622
that's around hd600/650s which is 9/10 on harman graph, I think
they can't do the lows that well though, I think one of chinkfi planar headphones in $1k range has this curve
>>
File: 1634289517271.jpg (363 KB, 792x1056)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
Has anyone tried out the vector finesse headphones? Having access to all the parts and the ease if self repair is really appealing.
>>
>>83837280
thanks for ur advice cutie :)
>>
>>83837698
damn the closest one i found was the lcd-3 but that thing is 635 grams in weight. Its actually almost identical just doesn't have bass that rolls off so less eq required and doesn't have the uplifted 1-2k hz. lcd 3 ranks at a 65/100 for harman curve according to oratory and that jaak dude.
>>
>>83837876
Ur welcome anon =]
>>
blu tack mod is the most stupid meme
>>
>>83826869
I did too, but I noticed that the top part would hurt my ears. The AKG k371 are terribly uncomfortable even spending extra money on pads, couldn't wear that shit for an hour.
>>
>>83838224
Its not
Helps when eqing bass higher. Sounds good for electronic music. Stax can actually have planar tier bass with a good seal.
>>
File: dt770.png (384 KB, 629x652)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
I fucked up and scratched a small hole similar to this on my DT770s. Think it'll be too much of an issue?
>>
>>83828052
is there anything out there that could beat this setup (both in sound and comfort) for under $70?

or is this as good as it gets at the poorfag tier?
>>
>>83816184
Please, just name the good ones and let me pick, request are always so limiting.

Can't you guys just make a chart and also sort each tier by best followed by price?
>>
>>83839030
"best" is highly subjective, past $30-$60 choices are largely up to personal preference regarding aesthetics and sound coloration, and availability can vary a lot depending on geographical region. even if someone did make a chart it would be outdated in six months.
there is this tho: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Headphones
https://pastebin.com/CCQCUv5e
>>
>>83839030
There aren't any good ones.
>>
>>83839080
Thanks, anon. Still a chart would truly guide others to what they should be looking for.
Surely there's a middle ground for headphones that are worth ordering in certain price range.
>>
File: 1624970358167.jpg (178 KB, 1024x1024)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
Refurb. Sony WH-1000XM3
or
Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2
>>
Might need to replace a set of Audio Technica AD-900X (cable is falling to bits, it's like 5 years old).. what's the move? Would prefer new set to have detachable cables.
Just seen the new BEYERDYNAMIC DT 900 PRO X come out, wonder if that's where to go.
>>
>>83839125
I need one.
>>
File: 1615338972923.jpg (82 KB, 964x1331)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
seen takstar pro 80/82 (not sure if there is a difference) consistently mentioned as being the best headphones available on a budget but they're basically impossible to get hold of in my country

what i can get my hands on however are some hyperx cloud with obnoxious playstation branding plastered on them for the equivalent of ~$55

are these likely to be rebrand takstar pros as i have read in the archive that the hyperx clouds are? confusingly i have seen some posts claiming that cloud 1 (what these seem to be) are the takstar pro rebrand, whereas others state it is the cloud 2 (cloud 2 in my country are $110 for comparison)
>>
>>83840271
btw does anyone know of any other takstar pro 80/82 rebrands besides the hyperx cloud (2?), cooler master mh752 and gemini hsr 1000?
>>
>>83827542
I got mine two days ago. They're the best headphones I've ever heard.

My only gripe is the portal stax energizer doesn't put our enough power to fully drive them, but that's stax problem.
>>
So for my budget I got recommended these three options: Sennheiser HD 559, ATH-M40X, and AKG K52. Which one out of these do you think is the best bang for the buck?
>>
>>83835454
>>83834780
so is the HD600 worth the extra $60? i'm thinking about getting the 6XX but if the 600 is really that much better i'll go with that. if not is there any thing else in that price range you would recommend?
>>
>>83841224
nvm I opted for the samson SR850 instead.
>>
>>83816184
>Location
BR.
>Budget
R$260 tops.
>Open or closed
Both.
>Over-ear or on-ear
Over-ear but I also accept other suggestions.
I guess I'm weird, none. I just want the music to sound good.
General use, focus on music and games.
>Anything else
Superlux hd681 sucks and always break, there's several reports and I also experienced it firsthand. Perhaps fake ones are taking place around here.
>>
>>83837488
amir is a lying subhuman sack of shit. he is filth and you can replace him with someone else to plug DACs into an analyzer and then copy the reports onto a web site.
>>
how do you test if your headphones are working correctly?
>>
>>83841468
>samson SR850
the earpads on these are really shitty quality

the problem is specifically the fake leather bit which attaches the pads to the cans which quickly deteriorates and starts flaking off (fabric pads are pretty gross and unhygienic anyway even without this issue)

also the box comes with a lovely warning on it about how the headphones contain some material or other which is known to cause harm to your reproductive functions
>>
>>83842340
>also the box comes with a lovely warning on it about how the headphones contain some material or other which is known to cause harm to your reproductive functions
for california by any chance?
>>
>>83842569
yeah
>>
>>83842340
> the earpads on these are really shitty quality
fugg, I already placed the order. I don't know why it got such stellar reviews, I've seen a bunch recommending these over the HD 559 that were my first choice. Oh, well. I'm going to get another ones in a year anyway.
>>
>>83816184
>>Location
USA
>>Budget
under 100, could do 150 but i'm a bit tight-fisted
>>Open or closed
closed
>>Over-ear or on-ear
over
>>Anything else
I'm looking specifically for bluetooth head phones. i'm not an audiophile or picky about having some specific sound quality, just something considered generally good quality that wont stop working after 2 weeks
>>
>>83842935
It seems though that you can replace the earpads so it's not a big deal, right?
>>
>>83842025
Listen to things. If you are checking for an imbalance listen to something mono as if there is an imbalance it will become audible.
>>
>>83842935
pads on headphones at the price level of sr850s are all trash in one way or another (build quality at this point sucks in general so you're lucky to get more than a couple of years out of them before one side of the cans stops working or something)

with similar stuff like the superlux range it's commonly recommended to swap the stock pads out with those chunky brainwavz ones for comfort and seal improvements but i can't personally vouch for this being the case as i haven't tried them

my ears are not big and don't especially protrude or anything but with my sr850 my ears press up against the driver constantly which gets painful during long sessions and leaves them with red marks when i remove the cans (i also find i have to rotate the stock pads now and then just to try and find some way of orienting them that doesn't cause constant pain to the tops of my ears)

were my pair likely not so near to the end of their life i would definitely take the risk and fork out on the brainwavz pads in hopes of making them comfortable to wear but since i will be replacing them soon (hopefully with something that actually provides some isolation from the endless whirring of my computer fans) it seems like a waste of money (i reckon i will fork out for some brainwavz pads to fit my next pair though since i am sick of cheap shitty headphones that hurt my ears and it seems you have to pay a fortune to get a pair of cans with decent comfort as stock)
>>
>>83843166
>my ears are not big and don't especially protrude or anything but with my sr850 my ears press up against the driver constantly which gets painful during long sessions and leaves them with red marks when i remove the cans (i also find i have to rotate the stock pads now and then just to try and find some way of orienting them that doesn't cause constant pain to the tops of my ears)
btw i had these same problems with multiple headphones with this akg style round can design, among them a proper akg model so it's not just limited to the chinese knock-offs

for my next set of cans i will shoot for something with an oval design and hope it's a better fit for me
>>
>>83843166
>>83843211
Ah, thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear that. Wish I weren't so quick to buy them. I guess it will be a lesson not to cheapskate on headphones in the future.
>>
>>83828583
Do the john carmack thing
>>
>>83843166
btw, was the sound at least ok or even remotely as good as audiophiles praised it?
>>
>>83841574
At that price range and outside of superlux, samson and disposable gaming headsets you'll probably have more luck with IEMs (which you can also risk on aliexpress since products below 50 usually, but not always, don't get taxed - there are options from kz, blon, moondrop all with replaceable cable). Even budget headphones popular worldwide that are well done but not great in build quality will cost no less than R$600 (stuff like akg k361 and shp9500).
>>
>>83816184
I want a headset with a mic. I mostly game, but like doubling it down as listening to music
Budget is 200, not doing headset/amp
>>
>>83835454
sorry I passed out after posting that.
a lot of their hype and reputation is carried on from way back in the day when the only competition was shit like the beyer Dt and akg sets compounded with being $200 and not the $500 they were listed for when I bought my 990 in 2013.
The vocals are really good because there's basically never sibilance like you said. A lot of my music has female singers singing through their fucking nose so it sounds sharp on other headphones. I'm almost certainly imagining it but it almost sounds like there's this nice texture to voices on it.
>>
>>83843386
most expensive pair of headphones i've ever owned was the sony v6 (i recall finding them harsh in the highs, and they were unreliable to boot and died on me pretty quickly), and that was over 10 years ago, so my opinion isn't worth much

imo the sr850 sound fine - i wasn't blown away when i put them on for the first time but nor did i find myself thinking "god these sound atrocious i want my money back"

they have enough bass for my taste and are not harsh in the highs but i can't really give you any better description of how they sound than that due to lack of experience and primarily only ever owning poverty-tier trash

my main complaints are as mentioned build quality, comfort and (lack of) isolation (they are probably described by most as 'semi-closed' cans like the similar superlux models and the akg k240 which they both rip off but they may as well just be open as far as any protection from outside noises goes)
all these issues apply to the several pairs of superlux hd681 i owned as well (superlux have really poor reliability and will not last you long which is why i rolled the dice on the samson sooner than buy another pair)
my akgs were pretty reliable by contrast but also suffered from the same comfort and (lack of) isolation issues that the samsons and superlux do due to shared design
>>
>>83835448
>>83835485
theyre ok lol
they are WAY smaller than they appear from how they look and even the ear cups are pretty small but also iv never had anc cans before so it might be something to do with that. the case they come in is pretty nice and they actually sound really good out of the box. the ANC seems to work great as well as the controls both buttons and touch.

my verdict is that theyre ok and most of the review sites that put these on their "100 dollar headphones that sound like 400 dollar ones!!" are kinda full of shit lol. Probably going to use these until they break and if I like the anc stuff then I'll get some bose quietcomforts or something
>>
File: 1616961595284.png (669 KB, 1920x1080)
669 KB
669 KB PNG
Sup /g/ after years of faithful service I broke my 598cs by running it over with my chair. Its only the band that's broken and not the actually driver. Anywhere know where I can get a replacement headband. If it helps it broke right where the adjusters for headband length are.
>>
>>83843682
post a pic of the damage, it might be salvagable with glue.
>>
>>83843610
Thanks again!
At least there's that.
> due to lack of experience and primarily only ever owning poverty-tier trash
You and me both. What kind of headphones are you aiming to buy?
I'm thinking of DT 990 PRO as they're the most recommended headphones and if I get the job I'm aiming for, that's the first thing I'm treating myself with.
I had the same experience with superlux which were shilled hard but always fall apart within months.
>>
>>83843404
Not that Anon, but are IEMs actually a solution for home use where you might just sit with them in your ears constantly for long periods while sitting in front of your computer so as to save constantly removing and re-equipping them as needed? Seems like it would become painful.

I'm also kind of put off IEMs by hygiene and worries about what sort of damage blasting noise directly into my (sealed-off by the IEM) ear canals would do to my hearing.
>>
File: broken.jpg (259 KB, 1536x2048)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>83843705
>>
>>83843750
Tf nigga your ears are getting blasted by sound waves no matter what. If you can hear it, youre being hit with sound waves. What matters is the decibels whether the headphones are over your ears or you have iems
>>
>>83843742
>What kind of headphones are you aiming to buy?
unsure right now, besides leaning towards something closed and oval shaped

a lot of guides out there are made with the american market in mind and prices in my country differ wildly from those being suggested with many supposedly budget cans coming with considerable pricetags in excess of $100, so i'm having a bit of trouble finding something decent within my price range

all i know is that i don't want any more superlux because i know i'll be back in the market for a new pair of cans again in a year when they inevitably die on me
>>
>>83843791
You could probably glue or tape it together if nothing else is broken.

A quick fix could be to just tape it together. But you could also try gluing it together first and then applying some tape to it afterwards. Id recommend Gorilla glue and tape for both.
>>
File: e65e56546.png (93 KB, 600x507)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>buy amp and DAC that isn't pure potato for my headphones
>listen to slam by pendulum
>mfw
The bass at the start (before the song really kicks in) used to sound just like a single slam but now I hear it more like a rain drop that lands and scatters on impact giving so much more than I thought there was.
>>
>not making your own dac and amp out of coins and an apple
i feel sorry for you losers
>>
>>83843902
> Id recommend Gorilla glue
Anon would have to properly clamp it in place as gorilla glue expands unlike traditional super glue. Plus scraping any excess off is a real motherfucker (can't knock gorilla glue though - it will glue anything to anything else).
>>
>>83844089
But NwAvGuy was assassinated buy Big Audio for causing so much market disruption.
>>
>>83844119
You are correct gorilla glue does expand, there probably is a better glue solution for this but it was the first one I could think of. Gorilla tape though should be good.
>>
>>83831559
Nah that's more than powerful enough, just give yourself a week to try the 600 if you just got it and if you don't like it sell it or return it
>>
>>83844242
>here probably is a better glue solution for this
Honestly for actually fixing it rather than being concerned about the visual finish you'd be hard pressed to find a better adhesive - as long as enough pressure can be maintained at the point of contact while it sets (two clamps will do it on a bench for example) one just needs to scrape the excess off with a knife once set. I'm never a fan of tape on headbands as headbands tend to be put under a lot of mechanical stress when repeatedly jammed on your braincase and removed and tape will always allow movement and thus eventual separation of the joint. I'm not overly familiar with the 598 but a 10 second google search doesn't give much in the way of a full yoke replacement so your suggestion of glue remains the most prudent imo.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (15 KB, 400x400)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
what's this general's opinion on koss portapros
>>
>>83839178
Pretty please?
I'm too much of a child to make my own decisions.
>>
>>83838397
No it's unlikely you could hear that, it's just in the damping not the driver
>>
>>83839178
What color is your skin?
>>
>>83844643
I'm white as fuck
>>
>>83844676
Sony
>>
couldn't find the thread for IEMs so I've come to ask here if the TIN T2 Pro is a good IEM
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32828514347.html

Going to use it for the phone
>>
>>83844724
get tin t2 plus
>>
>>83844420
Overrated meme just like older ThinkPads, but at least it's reasonably cheap.
>>
>>83844041
>"audiophool snake oil" turns out not to be snake oil after all
Remember: the situation in audio is equivalent to a world where 95% of the population is myopic and 4K is considered "snake oil" over 480p.
>>
>>83844724
Ear rape.
>>
>>83844775
>"audiophool snake oil" turns out not to be snake oil after all
That is a misleadingclaim as there is a definitive improvement - that can be measured - from potato to units that measure transparent to hearing. The snake oil kicks in when you go further from that point. Yeah you'll hear a difference between your E10k vs a schiit magni and modi but you won't hear a difference (assuming for the example the magni is powerful enough for your headphones) between the schiit stack and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M and THX 788 combo. The point in this context is that many "budget" units can exceed human hearing and thus indistinguishable from srs bsns priced units.

The existence of expensive amps (and DACS especially) is twofold - 1) for audiofools and 2) for additional features like connections and interface but not higher fidelity. As long as one isn't retarded the entry for hi-fi is no longer a need for a super expensive audio chain, but rather entry amps, dacs and other shit (cables etc) with the remaining budget pumped into what matters like headphones and speakers.

tl;dr i'm not disagreeing with your overall message, just how it was articulated.
>>
>>83844041
He's just listening at a higher volume without realizing it. Assuming his old amplifier wasn't like 40db sinad
>>
>>83845160
What if I told you in that exact scenario the DAC was swapped later than the AMP so listening volume did not change?
>>
>>83845569
What if I told you DACs change volume?
>>
>>83845600
I suppose going from 1.5vrms to 2vrms output would account for this yes.
>>
File: 1634332019128.jpg (169 KB, 1280x720)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
Why don’t people like the Verums anymore?
>>
File: 1590279218757.jpg (84 KB, 658x662)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Are there any over-ear headphones that are durable enough to be dropped on the ground repeatedly?

My little brother is quite autistic, usually when he gets up from his PC he just shoves his headphones off of his head without considering that it will destroy his stuff. Is there anything that will survive this kind of autism?
>>
>>83845873
I used to work with adults with autism. Took me 3 months to train a guy to put on a pair of gloves if it was cold outside.
Perseverance friendo
>>
File: 1634332220978.jpg (42 KB, 500x500)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>83845873
Berringer hpm1000
>>
Should I buy AKG K361s for £40
>>
>>83845855
If you care about audio they are decent. If you need to win internet points they are unforgivable because the dude said mean things and my twitter friends don't like it :(
>>
>>83845160
>he is just sitting closer to his monitor
>>
>>83845906
Those don't really look durable as much as just "so cheap it doesn't matter if they break." That's the strategy I already use and it works fine but the headphones are so bad in that price range, naturally.
>>
>>83843750
If you have noise around you can have lower volumes with IEMs because of their isolation compared to open back (the issue is that you lose reference and may end up using louder than if you were to use speaker, but that's true to headphones, especially closed back, as well).

Some people may not find comfortable using IEMs for long periods (I'm one of those), but the original question only involved "I just want the music to sound good" and no mention of using it for all purposes all day. Sound x price performance at very low price range (below 50 dollars) will strongly favor IEMs (and cheaper chi-fi stuff is easier to get in Brazil).
>>
File: 1634332571825.jpg (61 KB, 465x607)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>buy a fioo portable dac and some akgs
>realize I dont even like music and dont know any artists
>I just enjoy wasting money
>>
>>83845955
To add to this point, the kid is so autistic that he literally starts REEing if I throw his old broken stuff out, so I really want to find something that will just survive the fall.
>>
File: 1445406303733.png (486 KB, 526x700)
486 KB
486 KB PNG
>>83845952
How does one sit closer to headphones?
>>
>>83845923
Given they are up on amazon for £80 from a quick search £40 is a breddy gud price.
>>
File: 1634332702117.jpg (60 KB, 425x721)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>83845955
They are not that cheap but they buy them for schools because they are hard to break apprently
>>
>>83845982
You are now realising every single song is just a remix of a sine wave sweep
>>
Based npc consoomer normie
>inb4 post consists entirely of buzzwords
>>
>>83846003
Do you know if they are good, seeing as they are the predecessors of the hyped K371s
>>
>>83845984
I would just buy 10 pairs of kph-30i and swap them when he isn't looking if they break
>>
>>83845982
Spotify is pretty good at recommending me stuff, I just listen to daily mixes most of the time
Hoping spotify hifi finally comes out soon
>>
>>83846025
I do not - just seeing the price difference made me think "fuck it, why not" as £40 is peanuts in the grand scheme - just lay off the Maccy D's for a week.
>>
>>83846026
That's basically what I'm planning on doing if I can't find anything very durable, lol. Those specifically would probably annoy him because of the foam on the ears though, autists are insanely picky about texture.
>>
>>83846085
Ok well thanks and don't buy out the eBay listing
>>
>>83846118
There's a cheap set that looks like shooting earpro that's commonly used as demo phones in record stores because they're near indestructible but I can't remember what the fuck they're called, some random german brand I think
>>
>>83846229
>don't buy out the eBay listing
I won't anon - I would not deprive you from an upgrade :)
>>
>>83845982
>I just enjoy wasting money
Capitalism loves you, rich anon, it wants more people like you.
>>
>>83846318
In a socialist country I would just waste money on beer
>>
>>83846377
With beer you can have a good time and form bonds and memories with comrades. Capitalism is just possession of passing trinkets.
>>
>>83846314
Very kind, but if you get there first you have a good bargain
>>
>>83846310
If you can figure it out please do, I wouldn't know what to look up.
>>
>>83846377
In socialism you would have good enough healthcare to keep wasting your money on alcohol and not die of hepatitis.
>>
>>83846399
>>83846438
Fun to see americans explaining to someone from an ex-commie state how good socialism is
Your hippie teachers did a good number on you
>>
>>83846409
It was these
https://www.german-maestro.de/Englisch/Products/Logic/Headphones/
Top two and bottom
The bottom one even has an armored cable option, but no idea where to buy or how much they are
>>
>>83846482
Not a burger lol but from a nation with multiple centuries of drunken history.
>>
>>83846482
Communism isn't the same as socialism, ex-commie friend.
>>
>>83846485
>6485>>83846409(You)
Damn 175 euros. I was thinking more like $30-50 range. I don't need any really decent stuff, just want something a step up from the $2 dollar store shit my brother currently uses.
>>
>>83846534
I can't think of anything fullsize that's that cheap and I would trust getting thrown to the floor
Look for some used studio headphones that are already beat up
>>
>>83846571
I'll check classifieds. It's not getting full tard rage thrown to the floor, just dropped casually from ~4 feet occasionally, which some semi durable headphones should be able to survive. It's a shame I got rid of my old Sony XB-500s, those things will survive anything.
>>
File: 1634335158057.jpg (73 KB, 570x720)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
How much worse is the Meze 99 Neo compared to the regular wooden 99?
>>
>>83846118
im autistic and i like kph30i with grado pads
>>
What are the best quality wireless earphones you can get on a budget? Amazon seems to have a ton from $24 to $35 to choose from but I don't trust its reviews. Am I being too cheap?
>>
>>83843902
>>83844119
>>83844242
>>83844356
Thanks guys. I was considering glueing it but it seemed like a bitch. I tried tape already and what anon said about it is true. It eventually comes apart . And yeah I can't find anything to buy either for replacement hence why I asked here
>>
>>Location
mobile phone, possible bluetooth off soundbar or tv set for 2 people?
>>Budget
$25 - $100+
>>Open or closed
open
>>Over-ear or on-ear
in ear
boomer parents, watch yt on their smart phones and crank my tv up in my living room while I retreat to my bedroom
>>Preferred sound characteristics/intended use
yt, tv w/ bluetooth if possible?
>>Anything else
For my boomer parents, they come stay at my place every week or so, they're on my couch right now in my living room, I'm barricaded in my room, they have my tv on stupid loud in the living room and I can hear everything, would be fantastic if I can get them in-ear bluetooth headphones they can use to watch tv or yt on their mobile phones. Both have android phones.
>>
BUDGET FAG here.
Question is for those who tried BOTH.
SOUND IMPRESSIONS ONLY

PreSonus HD7
vs
OneOdio PRO-50,

can get either for same price.
Give me your comparison and experience regarding sound only pls.
Thank you.
>>
Honestly if it did not appear on top of the pops it is trash tier.
>>
>>83838244
Worse them for 7 hours straight yesterday with new pads and no pain so not sure what to tell you.
>>
File: tigbitties.jpg (73 KB, 750x750)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
any recs for:
>over ear
>closed
>bluetooth
>under $150
>>
>>83846702
thanks
>>
File: 1632611287418.png (255 KB, 538x557)
255 KB
255 KB PNG
So what's the general opinion on the DT 700 Pro X? I just got my pair and they sound like a tin can. Very little bass and the treble makes my ears hurt.
>>
>>83848908
who cares what other people think if you think they're shit
>>
File: 1631950314458.jpg (61 KB, 671x682)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>83816184
Been using Sennheiser HD598 for years. I like them but the cups are starting to fall apart so now seems like a good time to upgrade. I'm an audio pleb so not really sure where to look.

>Budget
$300-400 maybe? Flexible.
>Open or closed
Open
>Over-ear or on-ear
Not a strong preference, but over-ear
>Favorite music (artist or albums, not just genre)/Preferred sound characteristics/intended use
Too mixed to really just pick one thing. Stronger focus on watching stuff rather than listening to music. Something with a bit more bass than the HD598, but otherwise I quite like their sound.
>>
>>83849197
audeze LCD 1?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.