[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Goes to GitHub
>No huge in-you-face download button
>Panics in Windblows
>'Github sux cus bad user experience'

Is this some fine ass trolling or are they really that fucking backwards?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MreyOrYItr4
>>
>>83813699
I seriously hate the lack of download button. Fortunately most of the time the dev provides his own download button. If he doesn't i either wget the file or download the entire thing as zip. But really why isn't there a "download this file" option what the fuck.
>>
File: scylgo.gif (540 KB, 500x500)
540 KB
540 KB GIF
why do you retards keep posting every fucking video that he uploads?
>>
>>83813699
Linus is a retard, next topic?
>>
File: 1628361118124.gif (1.76 MB, 480x270)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB GIF
>Tech youtuber doesn't know tech
WOW! I'M SHOCKED!
>>
>>83813889
>But really why isn't there a "download this file" option what the fuck.
download what file?
git is not for downloading individual files
>>
>>83813699
Github is honestly fucking terrible
>>
>>83813699
Linus is a retard
>>83813889
Download what you retard?
The source code? There is a download button
The releases? Go to the release section if the dev made one
>>
File: et7cxmY[1].png (99 KB, 300x256)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
What is Linus talking about

I open a shell script. Hit the raw button. Save as.
It's a .sh file
????????
Is he expecting to Ctrl-S the page he sees?
>>
The whole point of this (and all other attempts) is just another episode of
>well linux is decent but as desktop? heh, just not quite there yet :) sorry
How new are you?
In the end they will probably both get those faggy hair dye jobs.
>>
File: Git hub.png (85 KB, 926x901)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>83813699
WTF did these retards do ?
>b-b-b-b- i never run a scripts
boomer in 1985 says
>b-b-b-b- I never installed something
Learn it retard. LEARN IT !

Did he not change the permissions ? Is this why it showed up as HTML ?
>>
>>83814021
>Is he expecting to Ctrl-S the page he sees?
Yes
He's peak boomer
>>
>>83814033
OK how do I contact these idiots I need to inform them.
>>
File: file.png (69 KB, 1899x898)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>83814019
>>83814014
There should be a "DOWNLOAD FILE" button here and yet it isn't. This isn't specific to ytdlp ofc. If i click on the file i want to be able to download it. I often don't need all the retardation, just a single file
>>
>>83814041
In a sense that wouldn't be much of a bad idea that it download the repository / file when your Ctrl-S in github. But I don't know if the browser let you hook on this event.
>>
>>83814084
this has to be bait
>>
>>83813889
See >>83814025 WTF are you taking about ?
You press code (be big green button) and then select save zip (you understand what a ZIP is right tech tuber ?)
>>
>>83813699
Linus dont have brain i guess
>>
>>83814084
>There should be a "DOWNLOAD FILE" button
no there should not
it would clutter the UI unnecessarily
>>
>>83814018
Motherfucker are you blind? You can literally download by hitting download. Or just
git clone <repo>

Fucking ios, proprietary using ass monkey
>>
>>83814084
Why would u want to download a makefile?
>>
>>83814146
Its still terrible. Navigating commits and prior versions is god awful as well.
>>
>>83814084
>git clone
retard
>>
>>83814087
after some research, it's impossible to intercept a browser Save-as event.
>>
>>83814181
>it's impossible to intercept a browser Save-as event.
you can intercept a ctrl+s keypress though
but it would annoy most users except in webgl applications and the like
>>
>>83813699
Honestly, he's being obnoxious to the fact that save link as downloads the page, literally, what else would it do?
I bet my ass that he didn't even took a look at the page properly and tried the save link as and seethed hardly when this didn't work.
>>
File: yt-dlp.png (1.11 MB, 1908x884)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>83814084
Are you all fucken mentally disabled ?
How the fuck do you manage to operate the internet you retards ?
Did your web ricing literally break usability on git hub ?
Its the big green button named code press that you dumb fuck its the most colorful thing in the page ! And disable your git hub ricing you fagot !

I can not literally believe people like you manage to upload videos to youtube yet can not see THE ONLY GREEN BIG THING ON THE PAGE !

Did you just fucken click yourself into the version history you dumb fuck ?!

If you are this stupid use the CMD and copy past the git hub link to clone it.
JESUS CHRIST !

You realize you are on the level of failing to use wikipedia right ?
>>
>>83814163
fine by me. you're never gonna make it if you can't just cope with github though
>>
>>83814249
We don't use github at my work so I dont use it often. I dread everytime I do though.
>>
>>83814237
>>83814179
Yea you fucking faggots I know, but what if i DON'T WANT TO DOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE FUCKING repository???
>>
>>83814163
What navigating WTF are you talking about?????????????

You literally click 2 buttons jeez
>>
File: ZIP.png (334 KB, 1005x501)
334 KB
334 KB PNG
>>83814237
>>83814084
Once more how fucken retarded are you people ?!
It is a fucken normal ZIP file ! That is downloaded !
Never in the history of humanity was a Hitler rant video more needed.
>>
>>83814276
THEN YOU CAN FUCK YOURSELF YOU WINDOWS FUCK
>>
File: sneed.png (131 KB, 1485x643)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>83814276
>raw
>save page
hurr durr so hard
>>
File: index.gif (278 KB, 512x512)
278 KB
278 KB GIF
1. Go to github page.
2. Scroll down to the install instructions.
3. ???????
4. s/make install/checkinstall
>>
>>83814301
It should download directly, not require the save page click
>>
>>83813889
there is a download file button for binary files. I dunno why they dont have one for text files..
>>
>>83814313
>right click
>save link
how do you even manage to use a computer? why are you on /g/ if you can't even use the right click button?
>>
File: 1nxz8j.jpg (54 KB, 580x350)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>83814276
THE ZIP IS LITERALLY LESS THEN 3 MB !
I HAVE LITERALLY NEVER SEEN PEOPLE WHO ARE MORE RETARDED IN MY LIFE !

> i DON'T WANT TO
WTF Do YOU WANT !?

DID ARCH LINUX AND CMD RICING ROT YOUR BRAIN ?!
Open it and take out what you need then delete the ZIP YOU DUMB SHIT ! DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW A ZIP WORKS ?!
LESS THEN 3 MB !
YOU FUCKING FAGOT !

Can your arch linux CMD not open a ZIP and take out its contents ?!
>>
>github a la Linus
>>
>>83814313
right click on raw, "save link as". I do kinda agree, it's weird that they don't give a direct download button. but then again, if I want some code from a single file it's faster to just copy/paste it to an editor
>>
>>83814331
Git Hub is not a scam website you do not avoid thee BIG DOWNLOAD BUTTONS !
>>
File: the smile.jpg (10 KB, 354x354)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
this entire thread is another example of why Windows users will never inherit the earth
>>
>>83814352
I JUST WANT TO DOWNLOAD A CONFIG FILE! GIMME MY BIG DOWNLOAD B UTTTON!
>>
>>83813699
lol he argues that doing CTRL + S on a web page saves the HTML document. Is it that hard to understand that he has to open the file itself by clicking the Raw button for his browser to understand what he wants? peak tech youtuber
>>
>>83814374
IT LITERALLY IS IN YOUR FACE !
IT IS LITERALLY THE BIG GREEN ONE !
THE ONLY BIG GREEN ONE IN THE ENTIRE PAGE !
ARE YOU BLIND ?!
>>
>>83814391
ITS NOT WRITEN DOWNLOAD NOW ON IT!!! ITS DOESNT DOWNLOAD FILE RIGHT AWAY!
>>
>>83814379
Ok tell me where I can contact linus to literally tell him this. I will tell him this and that he literally can not see the big green button on pages.

Was he thinking it is a joke or what ? WTF did he even do ?
How the fuck did he get HTML ?
>>
>>83814084
click on the three dots and the popover will have a Show as Raw button or something like that. Click it, watch the file itself open in your browser and CTRL + S. I hope they never introduce a download file button. No site should cater to braindead people
>>
>>83814427
he likely opened a file in the github UI and pressed ctrl s to save it. which obviously saves the webpage.
>>
>>83813968
gee_i_wonder_who_could_be_behind_this.jayyyPEG
>>
File: 1618847068096.png (434 KB, 1280x720)
434 KB
434 KB PNG
>>83814457
>go to webpage with script embeded in it
>press "save webpage" keybind
>it saves the webpage and not just the script
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>83813699
>IT HAD THE SH FILE EXTENSION BUT WAS HTML
the only way this should happen is he wrote the incorrect file extension himself, the default filename for saving a page (at least in my browser) has always been correct
>>
>>83814457
Does he understand how the internet and the web work ?
>HUR DUUR I did go to the download ROMS website and pressed CTRL+S on the web page why do I not have the ROM files ?!

Also what n00b user spams CTRL+S on web pages ?

>HUR DUUR I did go to the pirate bay and navigated to the movie I want and pressed CTRL+S on the web page why do I no have the movie files ?!

Also what n00b user spams CTRL+S on web pages ?
>>
>>83814412

My man got stuck in the evolution steps, what are you now? A monkey?

YOU FUCK ITS LITERALLY WRITTEN DOWNLOAD, THE ONLY ONE GREEN BUTTON FLASHING THROUGH THE WHOLE FUCKING MONITOR ARE YOU FUCKING BLIND OR DUMB FOUNDED? GET A FUCKING SCREEN READER TOOL THAT THE DISABLED ONES USE 'CAUSE YOU SURE AS SHIT CANT SEE SHIT FUCKING GORILLA
>>
File: 80d.jpg (77 KB, 887x1097)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>83814490
The real thing we want to see is a literally a 100% uncut screen recording of what the retard was doing. I do not understand how he got what he got and I was floating theories that he literally downloaded a troll git hub or literally downloaded someones github that is a HTML file.

>the only way this should happen is he wrote the incorrect file extension himself, t
Jesus christ !
>I changed the file extension from Matrix.png to Matrix.avi why is this movie not playing.
Jesus christ !
>>
File: VNkun.jpg (49 KB, 720x540)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>83814497
probably the same kind of noob who dedicates themselves to reddit spacing like religion
>>
>>83813699
>>83814084
unironically not wrong whenever i go on github for something and need to download something its different every fucking time and its just completely impossible to navigate anything like i click on one thing and it brings me to a directory thing with a bunch of files like what am i supposed to do with that? why isnt there just a button that allows me to click and then run an installer what the fuck are they expecting i really truly cannot understand it its a fucking joke and yet people here defend the idiocy that is github and others say scroll to the install instructions so i have to use some other bullshit like docker? why cant i just run an EXE installer and be done with it why is there unnecessary bloat as you faggots call it theres no need to have any of this bullshit just give me an installer that installs the program and allows me to use a GUI that functions rather than remembering 10 million different commands
>>
>>83814528
WHERE IS THAT DOWNLOAD NOW BUTTON!?
>>
>>83814482
>>83814497
dunno, dude doesn't seem too good with tech. I thought this was the zoomer problem with nobody understanding how stuff works but apparently it's everywhere, even in supposedly competent people.
>>
>>83814528
>THE ONLY ONE GREEN BUTTON FLASHING THROUGH THE WHOLE FUCKING MONITOR ARE YOU FUCKING BLIND OR DUM
I have run all possible theories and the only conclusion is that he literally has black and white (shades of gray) vision.
Literally every other color blindness will make the green stand out more then the white or black.

OR he literally is blind like blind blind.
>>
Wrote this as a comment and comment got auto-removed. retarded

lol do you understand how the web works? If you CTRL + S GitHub, then your browser saves the HTML document. How is your browser supposed to know that you want that specific embedded text content saved with this specific extension? This isn't anything specific to Linux too, this is related to how browsers work and each browser on every platform will behave this way.
Also, this is how you do it: GitHub has a "Raw" button which at the top right of the page. Click it, watch the actual file from the repo open in your browser and then your browser will understand your CTRL + S (or just right click the Raw button and use "Save as...").
peak tech youtuber
>>
>>83814556
You must be trolling I did see it even in the thumbnail.
>>
>>83814629
b-but that says CODE and not DOWNLOAD..!
>>
File: nobody will be saved.jpg (505 KB, 1280x2050)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
this thread cured my imposter syndrome
>>
>>83814600
>Wrote this as a comment and comment got auto-removed. retarded
From where ? Where do I contact him.
>>
>>83814629
retard i dont want the code i want an installer that is going to install the program for me
>>
>>83814648
you can't
>>
>>83814629
I SAID THE DOWNLOAD NOW BUTTON!!! ARE YOU RETARDED SONNY!?
>>
File: tptasOn.jpg (75 KB, 736x1080)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>83814600
>This isn't anything specific to Linux too, this is related to how browsers work and each browser on every platform will behave this way.
>Also, this is how you do it: GitHub has a "Raw" button which at the top right of the page
Linus confirmed to not understand how web pages work.
>Hur dur I go to government website to get PDF.
>I spam CTRL+S
>Why is this a HTML file ?
>Linux has a usability problem !
>>
>>83813889
>"download" a git repository
The absolute state of this board lel
>>
File: 1633657635897-0.png (118 KB, 256x256)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
>>83814580
Sometimes this shit makes me wonder how guys like these are even capable of using a computer
>>
>>83814656
>you can't
No he has a forum and twitter or shit. Where DO I post it so the most people and he will see it.

I can literally not believe this. Someone who supposedly can assemble a PC literally fails to click the only colorful thing on the page.
>>
>>83814686
you can download the full repo as a zip. it's sometimes convenient when you don't plan to develop on or update the repo but just need the code for something quick
>>
>>83814717
https://github.com/emscripten-core/emscripten
OK IF I WANT TO DOWNLOAD THIS PROGRAM I CLICK THE GREEN CODE BUTTON RIGHT? I CLICK ZIP IT DOWNLOADS RIGHT? THEN WHAT? I UNZIP IT? IF I DO THAT ITS JUST THE SAME THING THAT YOU SEE IN THE WEBPAGE? WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THAT?
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 259x194)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>83814696
>Sometimes this shit makes me wonder how guys like these are even capable of using a computer
Oh this is only the top of the ice berg.
Linus
>Spends good portion of his life learning what all the cables and connections in a PC are
also Linus
>Hur du this has a usability problem ! I'm not learning new things !
Is this dementia ?!

Does he not remember how he learned what all these parts of a PC are or what ?
Many such cases.
>>
>>83813699
ITT: classic programmers that dont understand anything outside of a shell. git hub is fucking retarded. this is why the idiot normies at work get promotions and you dont
>>
>>83814782
>>83814744
can you explain what i need to do?
>>
>>83814696
>>83814580
>OR he literally is blind like blind blind.
This would be the most impressive thing ever like a legitimately fully blind man managed to run a tech channel for so many years without anyone noticing, world class.

This would also explain why he so often drops things.

Or that linus managed to be a secret undercover mental retard all these years world class.
>>
>>83813699
They could streamline the releases feature but github isn't for Binary distribution anyway so they can fuck off. Github sucks ass but not for that reason
>>
>>83814287
ok and what do i do with the zip file? retard
>>
Linus is a glorified salesman. Why anyone listens to him for tech advice is beyond me.
>>
File: REtard test.png (21 KB, 500x1080)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>83814782
Retard test.
Press the download button.
If you fail then literally no web dev can save you.
>>
>>83814872
>ok and what do i do with the zip file?
Open it up and take out what you need.
>>
>>83814330
>Open it and take out what you need then delete the ZIP YOU DUMB SHIT ! DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW A ZIP WORKS ?!
not that anon and I do not think there should be download buttons
but some repos are several GBs even compressed
>>
>>83814084
What the fuck are you babbling about? If you want an individual file for whatever retarded reason, just click the raw button and wget the link/right click and save as. If you want the project then you should download it like a normal person with git clone and then make clean install.

Retard.
>>
>>83814744
>I UNZIP IT?
Wind rar and windows let you see the contents of the ZIP without unzipign 100% of it.

Ehh.
Looks like linus also never used windows in his life.
Windows after 98 that is.
>>
>>83814923
how do i know what i need when theres bloat in there? i just want an exe installer that will install it how hard is that to have?
>>
>>83814844
I just watched it, wtf he was trying to save a webpage as a script. Okay he's literally retarded
>>
>>83814962
>i just want an exe installer that will install
you are probably not going to find that on github if there is nothing under releases
>>
>>83814979
then what do i do? like why is it not standardized where do i find this informatino?
>>
>>83813889
Yeah I don't know why they don't let you download single files.
Seems like basic shit.
>>
>>83814992
>why is it not standardized
software comes in all shapes and forms, there are no standards. even each installer works slightly differently so we'd need to hold your hand on when to press next and whatever.
>where do i find this informatino?
there's usually a readme file that you read
>>
>>83814953
kek
>>
>>83814992
>like why is it not standardized
It is standardized.
git clone <rep>
make install

>but muh binaries
git isn't for that. If you want your shitty malware infected software go to sourceforge.
>>
>>83814953
doesn't that actually unzip it into some temp folder? or is the directory and file structure in a zip actually seekable (I always assumed not)
>>
>>83813699
>Be Linus
>Get linked to tool on GitHub
>README, nah I'm smart fuck that
>Fail for 20 minutes to figure out how to use a browser
>Fail at trying to copy paste text into an editor
>KATE I TO FUCKING HARD WHAT THE FUCK NOTEPAD IS SO MUCH EASIER
>Download HTML page and try and run it
>WHY IS SCRIPT NO WORK
>Co-host talks about how easy it was to install and use his distro
>Get angry and feel inferior
>This is not my fault it's those damn devs not knowing how to make computer
>Go back to shilling for software and hardware I don't understand.
>>
>runs a tech YouTube channel while at the peak of Mount stupid
>gets called out for his bullshit
>>Hurr muh toxic Linux community
This retard needs to fuck off.
>>
File: eminem rat.jpg (23 KB, 680x680)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>install ubuntu
>10 seconds later
>trying to manually download random-ass scripts off github

This is why I'm 100% against recommended ooboongo/forks. People claim it's "user friendly" but this sort of shit is what happens every goddamn time because installing apps and dealing with apt/ppas/git/flatpaks/snaps/etc is a huge pain in the fucking ass.
>>
File: bb.png (7 KB, 224x225)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>83814555
>>
b-b-b-b-but you guys don't understand, it's not obvious to NON TECH SAVVY PEOPLE who have to be able to run your hobby projects because it's uhhh important for their video games
>>
>>83815035
what are you even talking about? git clone <rep> what does this mean? whats a binary as well? (zoomer here sorry)
>>
>>
>>83813699
yeah it does though I should be able to just click a big download button not read your dumb ass fucking life story you cocksuckers
>>
File: ns.png (775 KB, 927x463)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
>...
>>
I actually think it's a good thing linux is running into these types of problems. It's brainlet-tier but these are the sorts of errors a lot of newfags make. So I think it's a good thing to show a more realistic first-impression for what an average pleb might deal with, so long as they THEN also explain later on why what they did was wrong and what they should've been doing instead.

But if at the end of all this they stick to their "waaaaaahhhh why am I having trouble downloading random bash scripts off github???? WTF linux sucks :( stop pointing out my error you're T O X I C" then they can kys
>>
File: penguin.jpg (25 KB, 500x359)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>This entire fucking thread
Good lord.
>>
File: confused travolta.jpg (54 KB, 366x366)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>it's secure because you can verify the code yourself
>LOLWAT HOW CAN YOU EXCEPT NORMAL PEOPLE TO CHECK CODE

then maybe you shouldn't be running unknown github scripts in the first place
>>
>>83815244
He's at the peak of mount stupid. He thinks that if he's too dumb to do it, then no one is smart enough to do it.
>>
>>83815294
Not only that, but he's just making things harder for himself. Like apparently he's the platonic form of soi with his entire house "techified" with IoT botnet shit and the latest cutting-edge crap. And I think he's running some kind of ubuntu clone, so of course all his latest-and-greatest shit isn't going to be supported because he's not using a rolling-release distro. So now he'll probably try manually finding drivers for all his IoT dogshit and end up in dependency hell trying to make it all play nice on an outdated distro.

That and they're complaining about their jewvidia drivers being trash, but linus has access to basically literally every piece of hardware in existence. Why the FUCK wouldn't you use an AMD card if you're doing a linux challenge?
>>
>>83814744

If you want to use "An LLVM-to-WebAssembly Compiler" and you can't figure out how to even download/build it for your target platform you are probably better off staying away from that entirely.
>>
>>83813699
Linus doesn't understand that github is a place to host code repositories not a file hosting service. For most projects there's not really a reason to download just one file since it probably won't work by itself anyways. We shouldn't bother listening to his complaints on github since it ultimately isn't designed for the use case he has in mind. If other people are using github incorrectly then it's not a fault of Linux or Github.

Thus is all ultimately going to end with Linus not being able to get one of the exotic pieces of hardware he gets for free working in Linux since the manufacturers don't provide a Linux driver. Linus will see this as the fault of Linux and not the manufacturer
>>
File: 1627739738613.png (339 KB, 800x450)
339 KB
339 KB PNG
>>83815426
>he felt for a shitposter continuing my shitpost bait
>>
>>83815198
>So I think it's a good thing to show a more realistic first-impression for what an average pleb might deal with
The problem is that his setup is anything BUT the average pleb's setup. As >>83815413 noted, he's got some autistic setup with a bunch of proprietary IoT shit, and he's running everything in his house through thunderbolt or something like that. He seems really offended and indignant at the idea of receiving any kind of help, even though it's sensible to expect that a new user would ask for help if they were trying to get some exotic setup like his to work. He's also complaining about really basic shit, like Linux handling filetype extensions differently, or not understanding how to run a shell script--like, no shit, it's a different operating system, of course it's going to handle things a bit differently. I get the impression he's bringing his ego into this, and it's getting hurt by the fact that he has no idea what he's doing.

>>83815413
>And I think he's running some kind of ubuntu clone, so of course all his latest-and-greatest shit isn't going to be supported because he's not using a rolling-release distro.
From what I've heard, people suspect he started out with PopOS. Supposedly he's running Manjaro KDE now, but Manjaro is its own can of worms. Honestly, with all the autism in his setup, he probably would have had a better time just installing Arch. I'm sure the AUR has 90% of all the random github projects he's trying to download, anyway.
>>
>>83815537
Speaking of Arch, I like when he bitched about being sent wiki pages when looking for basic shit as if that's a bad thing. When did we stop reading manuals, it's made this whole generation of computer users retarded.
>>
>>83815563
I really don't understand how he thinks this is all supposed to go down. He won't read wikis, he won't read readmes, he refuses to take any advice. So how does he expect to learn how to do anything then?

I can actually understand not wanting to his own personal live 24/7 tech support because that's not indicative of what a normal user would get. But there's no reason he can't ask for help on the typical forums and boards with a pseudonym. But also the idea of wanting the "normal experience" went out the window when he decided he needed to have his entire proprietary internet-of-things functioning on linux and just use a normal setup
>>
>>83815427
>Linus will see this as the fault of Linux and not the manufacturer
and then he will shill for intel

>>83815598
>>83815427
>>83813699
make computers hard again we don't want these normie scum coming in and shitting up basic purpose of use of these software tools
>>
>>83813889
learn svn
>>
>>83815630
>make computers hard again we don't want these normie scum coming in and shitting up basic purpose of use of these software tools
based, making computer available for the masses was a mistake
>>
>>83813699
i'm not mad he's successful, i'm just mad that he's never had the curiosity to try and learn anything other than surface level consumer hardware knowledge. How low does your level of personal development have to be to even want to learn about even the basic dynamics of software development
>>
Include me in the screencap, this thread is a fucking circus
>>
>>83813699
Actually this design is genius, because it leads users towards the correct usage:

Terrible:
>Click file to download
>File picker shows up
>You have to navigate using mouse, graphically, confirm to download
>Now you want to run the script
>Open a terminal
>Have to navigate AGAIN, but this time not graphically, but on the cli.. You ask yourself why did you have to navigate to the same place twice, in different ways
>Run the script

Correct:
>Click the file, details page shows up
>Right click the "Raw" link, press "copy link"
>Open up terminal
>Navigate to the folder
>wget [paste]
>Run script

And if you can't figure that out, you're a brainlet
>>
>>83814146
>want a single txt file
>JUST DOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE 100GIG REPO BRO
>>
>>83813889
I don't want non-technical users using my software.
If you don't know how to use git clone and make, get the fuck off github.
>>
>>83814084
Are you fucking retarded? It's a commit you wouldn't download a change.
>>
>>83815810
>what is the raw button
filtered by a Microsoft website, ngmi
>>
Github, a site for "developers", primarily maintained by microsoft, has a SHITTY UX? woah this is totally linux's fault everyone.
>>
File: Linux (BP).png (192 KB, 350x350)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>83814084
And with this post loonixcucks once again prooved why their meme toy will never exceed 1% market share
>>
No download button? Copy it, open a text editor and paste the contents?

Sound working weirdly? Just paste this config and manually reload sound service through terminal

GPU not working? Open the executable in terminal and paste theese magic numbers before.

Every time
>>
>>83816065
You realize we're all talking about a website?
How does it have anything to do with Linux?
Does GitHub offer a Download button for files if you're on Windows?
>>
>>83816163
Sorry, the only thing im seeing is some linux kiddies trying call me a retard because i dont create unnecessary entropy
Also, how do they manage to post with curl without javascript?
>>
Step one isn't download or clone the repo, step one is read the install instructions.
If it's a script, they often have two lines of code you can copy paste to curl and chmod it.
>>
>>83816163
A website made by Microsoft, nonetheless. Even if this is somehow an issue (which it isn't unless one is a retard), it has absolutely nothing to do with Linux.
>>
>>83816152
let me guess, you """need""" more?
>>
File: 1629163858155.png (364 KB, 828x752)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
Im gonna play a devil's advocate and say that he is unfortunately right about this whole confusion for new users and general notion that users expect things to work without them knowing anything about how they do it.
Windows is so popular mostly because it panders to most tech illiterate users, those that have not a single clue how the tool they use daily for work operates. They want hand-holding, they expect someone or at least some software to guide them through and essentially do everything meaningful for them, leaving them with just the most basic, mundane and auxiliary things to do, like clicking buttons next in an installer. The same goes for every problem they may encounter, they go online, download problem_solver.exe, click yes on that applet that pops up asking something about administrative privileges or whatever and expect it to just work
I remember my shock when I got to know that there are people driving daily for hours not knowing a single thing about what propels the car, what the engine is or what exactly does clutch do.
The same things go for computers, except to even bigger extent since at least boomers know what displacement their engine is but neither then nor zoomers can tell what is wrong about changing .docx file extension to .pdf and expecting it to work
you may not like it but it is the reality we have to bear
>>
>>83816387
>there are people driving daily for hours not knowing a single thing about what propels the car
those are morons honestly, Linux shouldnt have to pander to literal toddlers
>>
This thread is 50% bots lmao
>>
>>83814682
>>Hur dur I go to government website to get PDF.
>>I spam CTRL+S
>>Why is this a HTML file ?
>>Linux has a usability problem !
fucking lmao, i've seen people do this way too many times.
>>
this isn't a criticism of linux, it's a criticism of github because it's not this easy to use, but it isn't how it's supposed to be used. if you wanna use it in another way, you gotta have to learn how to jump through some hoops. on the other side, it wouldn't be hard to add a download button, so why not?
looking forward for anthony cringing with everyone
>>
At 13:00 he laughs at having to assess scripts before running them, but I guess running blackbox .exes as admin is fine, i guess.
>>
>>83816387
Why do we care about new users anyways? If they're too dumb to figure it out then maybe it's not for them. I don't really care about "year of the Linux desktop" anyways
>>
>>83814301
>>83814327
>something needs to be 2 clicks instead of 1 for no reason other than to own the normies who just want to download their shit and move on with their life
these are the same people who can't comprehend the success apple and ms are having
>>
>>83816876
>wouldn't be hard to add a download button, so why not?
DOWNLOAD WHAT?
>>
>>83816956
DOWNLOAD THE BUTTON FAGGOT
>>
>>83816945
to be fair, you’re already lost the game if you require some normie to download and run a script himself. a download button makes little difference at that point.
>>
>>83816876
It's not even really a criticism of github. Linus Sebastian Torvalds, CEO of GNU/Linux, is trying to use github like it's some filehosting site like fucking filehippo or softpedia. The vast majority of the time end users, particularly normie-tier end users, should not be downloading shit off github in the first place.
>>
>>83814084
Download what file?
The changes? The new file? The old file?
>>
>>83816928
Because he’s a fucking idiot. He's a salesman. He gets his information from manufacturers and has zero hands on experience. He's right on the peak of mount stupid.
>>
>>83816945
Normies don't download raw source files retard
Fucking kill yourself, you're the fucking cancer that's causing the web to turn to shit
I bet you enter your email when you get the popups to register to the newsletter
>>
>>83813889
You are retarded.
>>
>>83816065
you do know github is run by Microsoft right?
>>
>>83813699
it's a source repository you're supposed to download the entire project lmao.
fucking retard.
>>
>>83817836
yes but how do i get the program then?
>>
>>83817842
you use git, git clone the repository, and then follow the build instructions.
It's not a random file host.
>>
>>83817857
where do i get the instructions?
>>
>>83815109
Fine, I'll bite. I'm bored enough.

>git clone <link to repo>
basically downloads the entire repository (git's way of saying "project folder") and extracts it; more convenient version of downloading the ZIP from GitHub and extracting it.

>what's a binary
There are 2 main ways to install a program. You either compile it yourself from the source code, or you download binaries (executable files) which the developer has already compiled for you. The main drawback of the latter is that you cannot verify that it's actually been compiled from the same source code and that the developer didn't put anything sneaky in there.
>>
>>83817863
it's usually on the homepage lmao.
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom#sources
https://github.com/realnc/dosbox-core#compilation
etc.
Also it's for developers by developers.
>>
>>83813699
Not sure if someone already posted this but this will have everything you guys need.
>https://docs.github.com/en/get-started
>>
>>83813699
This is hilarious purely because their only argument is "It's not retard proof for retards like me so it's bad."
>>
>>83817863
>./configure
>make
>sudo make install
>>
>>83816152
meanwhile on windows
>sound working weirdly? reinstall
>gpu not working? reinstall
>>
>>83817945
>being this autistic instead of just clicking an install file
>>
>>83813699

He's not wrong though.

>uhmmm here's your program_gpl.zip, program_lgl.zip, and program.zip (10x the files size of the others)

Trannies were a mistake.

>>83813968

4chan is now one giant ad for e-celebs and Twitter.
>>
>what if i DON'T WANT TO DOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE FUCKING repository???
Then you clearly don't want to do anything productive with the file you are downloading. Fucking cunt. Git is for hosting codebases. One file in a codebase is often going to be useful without other files in context. Nobody wants to deal with some faglord who downloaded x.py from their Github, wondering why it's giving them an import error for another file in the same repository.
>>
>>83814330
>THE ZIP IS LITERALLY LESS THEN 3 MB !
NOT
RELEVANT

I ONLY WANT ONE FUCKING FILE NOT THE WHOLE GOD DAMNED REPOSITORY YOU AUTISTIC FUCK
>>
>>83813699
>no one reads eulas so no one should be expected to read the scripts they willingly download and run on their computer
Then you have the option to not use it Linus (^:
>>
>>83817992
IT'S A SOURCE REPOSITORY, NOT A FILE SHARING SITE YOU FUCKING RETARD
IF YOU CAN'T SAVE A FUCKING FILE THEN YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS RUNNING IT
>>
>>83817986
Retards that can't clone a git repository (a.k.a. You) are why Coraline Ada managed to stuff his CoC into every good project.
>>
File: 1634164326738.jpg (60 KB, 1071x1070)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>83814163
>>83814084
this motherfucker is on a trolling spree
>>
>>83818018
THEN WHY IS IT USED LIKE A FILE SHARING SITE RETARD ? I CAN SAVE AN EXE INSTALLER JSUT FINE STOP YOUR IDIOTIC CLAIMS FAGGOT BUT EVERY SINGLE TIME HAVING TO DO DIFFERENT STEPS TO INSTALL SOMETHING IS CANCEROUS OK? THERE ARE MANY USEFUL THINGS ON THE SITE AND THEY USE IT JUST LIKE A FILE SHARING SITE OK PAL
>>
>>83818066
THEN LEARN HOW TO USE IT YOU FUCKING RETARD
>>
>>83813699
I wish this guy would just FUD linux to death because I honestly despise him and his entire audience
>>
>>83818072
>learn how to use it
>it changes every single time
wow im honestly in disbelief at how stupid you are the point of wizard installations is simplicity that you can learn and use forever and ever you cant learn how to install SPECIIFIC FUCKING THINGS EVERY UCKING TIME BECAUSE SOME TRANNY DECIDED TO DO IT DIFFERNTLY
>>
>>83818103
It's not trannies who did it. Look at almost every other git repository site and it works kind of the same. It's YOU who is the fucking baby duck retard.
>>
>>83818103
Yeah we get it, saving files is hard.
This problem is actually on us, for expecting that much from Wintoddlers.

Isn't it time to take a nap? Want me to tuck you in?
>>
>>83818114
no sir its you that is the retard I KNOW THAT PEOPLE CAN BE INFLUENCED BY TRANNY RETARD WHEN THEY ARE WEAK IN THEIR CONVICTIONS BUT HOLY CRAP SOMEONE NEEDS TO CHANGE IT its redicilouos and doesnt make any sense just fix it
>>
>>83818142
I'm not opposed to downloading a file manually you fucking nigger.
>>
>>83818142
>I don't have the mental capacity to understand how it works so YOU NEED TO CHAGNE IT WAAAAAHHHH
>IM NOT A TRANNY WHO DOES THIS SHIT DAILY FOR EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF SOFTWARE BY THE WAY
>>
>>83818103
>changes every time
bro just run
>./configure
>make
>sudo make install
this works 90% of the time, and if it doesn't, the developer has probably already provided the way to compile that specific repo. literally learn to read, retard.
>>
>>83818161
how can i run that on windows?

>>83818154
>>83818151
so you admit it is manual and thus unnescary you know people are moving to automation because it is superior? github needs to follow or it is a failed platform
>>
>>83818183
>a fucking git repository service needs to have a download button because right clicking is too hard
>>
>>83818183
>compiling on windows
NGMI.
>>
>>83818194
>>83818195
>right clicking doesnt work it just downloads it fancier so you still have to search through 10 million files
I WANT BINARIES I WANT EXES I WANT INSTALLATIONS WIZARDS I DONT WANT TO COMPILE
>>
>>83818183
That "automation" is called "git pull".
You can download sooo many files automatically with it. It's crazy.
>>
>>83818213
>expecting binaries on a website designed to share source code
NGMI.
>>
>>83818223
dude why do i need source code do you look through every single line that you use? no thats what i though fool i need it to work and run i dont want to work for it i want it to work for me
>>
>>83813699
Yes it is user error not knowing how to use github. Github is made for git. If you don't know how to use git then learn how to use git.
>>
>>83818240
Then what are you doing on GitHub of all places? Go to SourceForge if you want pre-compiled binaries.
>>
>>83818240
Then don't use git, dummy. There's "git" in the name because it's for git.
>>
File: spoonfeeding.png (306 KB, 597x366)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>83818213
>open github: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/
>click "Releases" in the right side
>find EXE
>click

There you go, faggot.
Also nice bait.
>>
>>83818278
evveryone uses git for useful things dummy so we are forced to

>>83818271
i very rarely use sourceforge but yes it is ok alternative not everything is on sourceforge

>>83818284
why would i want telemetry? you say you compile things but audacity has telemetry hidden in for 6 months without people knowing fool
>>
>>83818322
>evveryone uses git for useful things dummy so we are forced to

Then learn to be useful to yourself and learn how to run git clone. It's not made to be your personal pastebin.
>>
This retard is farming (You)s, just stop replying.
>>
>>83813699
I'm more upset about how he complained kate was hard to use. Like, are you serious, does this retard not understand what a text editor does? How is it hard to use, you write text and save fucking files. It's like the most basic OS tool there is.
>>
>>83818223
Binaries are super common on Github kek
>>
>>83818334
not my point retard my point is that it should be fixed so it doesnt operate like that it should operate functionally not be dysfunctional with a million commands and locations you have to remember
>>
File: 1591996812161.jpg (89 KB, 585x280)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>83813699

>Trannies can't accept their bodies
>Yet they want people to accept their obtuse programs and websites

Wait, that makes perfect sense.
>>
>>83818360
It's not broken. Github is for git projects, not your personal pastebin. It's in the fucking name
>github
>git
>git
It's for devs to share their git projects. Not a fucking pastebin. Not everyone else's fault you misuse it.
>hurr durr why is this straight porn site not showing me gay tranny furry porn?
PEBKAC
>>
File: niceinstructionsretard.png (135 KB, 1917x971)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>83818284
nice instructions retard

>>83818379
ok then why can only some things be found there for the average joe if it is required for everyone when developers use it? they share it there i dont care what you think it is for
>>
>>83818379

>make and develop program
>No way for people to use it

Makes perfect sense.
>>
>>83816945
>these are the same people who can't comprehend the success apple and ms are having
wait till you find out who owns github
>>
>>83815040
In Windows 7 sp1, it treats the zip file like a folder. I don't know about Windows 10 or 11 since both looks like shit.
>>
File: 2021-10-13_17-40.png (219 KB, 1786x896)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
@83818390
>click "Releases" in the right side
Was that too complicated? Here, I can give you a picture that might make it easier.
>>
>>83818456
i did retard image shows that
>>
>>83818390
They share their git projects there. They expect you to know what you're doing.

>>83818394
It's not made for end users, it's made for developers. If you want audacity binaries get them from a package manager. Github is not a package manager, it's not for releasing applications. It's a source control system for sharing source code.
You are essentially walking into a church and demanding to know why they don't sell dragon dildos.
>>
>>83818456
nevermind just tried it again sorry sir
>>
@83818467
You image has "Code" still highlighted. You didn't bother going to Releases.
>>
Why isn't there a rule that makes any kind of bait a bannable offense? These shit threads get constantly made and it's all just bait, /g/ is practically unusable due to the amount of bait.
>>
>>83818476
>>83818482
argument still stands if they want end users to use their application (as is the point of developing it) why is it so hard for them to download it and get it running?
>>
File: 9eb.jpg (18 KB, 400x400)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>83818505
>>
>>83818528
>i am retard dummy
no real reply ok thxs
>>
>>83814313
What if you just wanted to view it raw, without downloading?
>>
>>83818505
Your argument is shit, it's only hard for you and the tech illiterates
>>
>>83818573
your argument shit only for devs make no sense
>>
>83818543
>I'm a stupid nigger that just wants to troll and acts retarded
>>
>>83818587
you literally can't refute my argument
>>
>>83818505
Apparently you don't understand the concept of programmers writing tools and applications for other programmers.

Let me put it this way. Let's say your car just broke down and you need it fixed. So you walk into an auto parts store... Then you ask them why they won't install parts into your car.

That's not what auto parts stores are for. They're for mechanics and amateur mechanics. Github is for professional programmers and amateur programmers. Some assembly required.
>>
>>83818595
then why are nonprogrammer tools put there as well? can you at least admit misuse of the site then if not outright the site not being for that entirely and needs a download button?
>>
>>83813699
He gonna love compiling shit like boost because the distro's version doesn't work.
>>
>>83818505
I only want the smartest users using my applications so I don't get stupid support tickets created.
>>
>>83818693
>admits he's artificially trampling on his user base and user growth for his tool
ok we disagree you're an idiot
>>
>>83818729
The gate is there for a reason and it's to keep retards like Linus out
>>
>>83818615
Yes, the site is being misused. Some people are releasing binaries on it too... but in the end it's a source control/project collaboration tool. If you want to build bleeding edge shit, you'll have to learn how to use git and how to build projects. If you want public releases you'll have to look elsewhere.
>>
>>
File: Index-1.png (28 KB, 540x266)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
I'm pretty sure Linid thought he was looking at pic rel
>>
Has there been any word when his Linux series will hit his channel?
>>
>>83814325
>I dunno why they dont have one for text files..
they do though

>click raw
>hit ctrl-s in your browser

how retarded are you
>>
>>83813699
>user comments full of people REEEEEING about "toxic" userbase
Great, now Linux is going to fill up with even more SJWs.
>>
>>83813699
To be totally fair, Linux user experience is bad. There's always something to fix. And while fixing shit isn't hard, having to step out of your workflow to fix something is far from a great experience.
I love Linux and hate windows but we all gotta admit Linux is far from a seamless experience.
>>
>>83813699
I have to admit this whole thing is actually pretty smart of him from a M$ shill standpoint.
>pretend to give linux a real try
>pick literal retard proof just werks out of the box os
>intentionally fuck it up by deciding you need to run some random fucking script for no reason
>get filtered by github
>rant about file extensions
>unironically bring up the zoomer file structure meme as if that's supposed to mean anything when the entire point of these videos is helping your supposedly tech inclined audience decide if they should use linux
>the online discussion turns into people arguing about ui instead of anyone questioning why you are fucking with random scripts when your os works perfectly well out of the box
>omg linux is so hard
>npc viewers never touch it because "even linus cant use it"
>>
>>83813699
Talking about poor documentation on Linux? Has never happened.

Try looking for Windows documentation or fixes. It's non-existent and just loads of useless spam and retards on Microsoft forums.
>>
>>83819466
let's not focus on win11 shortcomings and instead highlight how Linux would still be a non viable alternative
>>
File: pepe hammer.png (40 KB, 900x623)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>have issue on linux
>tons of documentation out the ass, extensive wikis, literally every question under the sun has been asked and answered and a simple google search will almost always find an exact solution for you

>have issue on windows
>all search results lead to "answers" from MS pajeets telling you to kindly reinstall all your drivers and OS
>>
>>83813699
I respect Linus for trying Linux and appreciate his feedback as a fresh user. My major problem is that when he compares it to the Windows UX he doesn't take in to account that he has a ton of experience with Windows. Installing Windows on a blank drive is much more difficult than installing almost any Linux distro with a GUI installer at this point.
Another problem is he often wants things to just work like Windows, often it is a deliberate decision not to make certain things work "like Windows"
>>
>>83814021
Right click file, click save as. Save some dumb fucking html instead of the file
>>
>>83814490
Github serves html files with the extension of the source file but the text/html mime type.
Right-click save-as https://github.com/oknozor/onagre/blob/main/src/main.rs and you will get an html file with a .rs extension.
>>
I'm sure /g/ is a great safe space for you to be pretentious and smug, but this is exactly why Linux is not taken seriously outside of server use. Don't know why you fucking dorks are talking shit to anyone if you sincerely believe in your ideology. Should be happy people are trying to get involved with the community. Reminds me of this video for some reason... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ZK0t9-llo Can't imagine how pathetic your existence has to be if using Linux is your validation in life.
>>
>>83813699
What is up with all the retards in the comments agreeing with him? How is it so common for people to mistakenly download HTML files off GitHub? Are they trolls? Linus' alts? Bots he bought? Could they really be real people?
>>
File: save_link_as.png (165 KB, 714x962)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
You fucking chimps...

He didn't ctrl-s the page, he was browsing the directory tree on GitHub and he right clicked the link to a shell script, clicked "Save link as..." thinking like any one of you mongoloids would that it would save out the raw file. GitHub's UX is fucked up, face facts.

I know, listening and comprehension is hard. You'll get there champs
>>
>>83820029
>website doesn't hijack the browser context menu pretending to be a gay fucking "app"
that's a good thing
>>
>>83820029
ok now tell me why he needed this script in the first place
>>
File: 1631061564841.jpg (205 KB, 560x461)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>83814482
Kek, someone make an edit of Linus as DSP
>>
>>83820124
hes a script kiddie, i wont defend that
>>
File: dsp-stress.png (9 KB, 105x48)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>83814482
>Oh my.. it just keeps coming up with error
>I'm clicking and pressing buttons, it's doing nothing!
*SNORTS*
>I'm telling you, this operating system is the worse,
*GLANCES TO SUPERCHAT*
>What do you mean read? Are you fucking stupid, I don't wanna face the TAWXIC linux community and reading is for tools!
>Mods ban this dumbass for spamming chat
>Fuck this, I'm going back to Mac OSX
>>
File: brainletwojak.jpg (18 KB, 474x535)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>83820067
keep trying anon
>>
>>83819988
Github is not for your average person, which is where Linus absolutely is wrong in saying it should be normie friendly. The company and Microsoft deliberately markets Github as a developer website and a specialized tool in the same way Adobe Suite tools like Premiere and Photoshop or Autodesk tools like AutoCAD or Solidworks are not for the average user. The only thing that is different is that some of the functions that Github has with managing your code CAN map to a web browser so you COULD access things and it is free and anyone can access it. Thereby, there is no reason why there should be any expectation on or from the average user to be capable of using it. Github does make things easy though but apparently, it can filter properly thinking "adults".
Frankly, I don't give a crap about if Github is accessible or not to the normal person, and whether any tech is accessible to the normal person. Skills are skills, and I get paid for knowing how to and using them especially in tech where they are in high demand because the world in the background depends on it. Stay mad and being technically retarded and financially insecure faggot.

>>83820165
Shell scripts aren't necessary to do things in Linux in the same way Windows .bat or .ps scripts aren't necessary. The primary purpose of scripts is to automate the execution of tasks that would otherwise be performed individually by a human operator. That's it. They are useful but it's not the end of the world if you had to run commands manually. And it's not like for the average computer user they would understand what is going on whether the commands are being ran in a script or they are typing out and entering each one of them by hand as long as what happens does what the user wants in the end.
>>
>>83820357
What?
>>
File: 1671514526324.webm (887 KB, 512x288)
887 KB
887 KB WEBM
>>
>>83820389
my point is that catering to the average person is as wrong as catering to a group of fringe "hardcore" users the only solution is to cater to everyone equally as inclusiveness is our strength

if 4chan has made great strides in achieving this (and it of course will continue to do so) then so will Github
>>
>>83820317
You don't want to start this
My wojaks collection is infinitely larger than yours, there's is only one possible outcome to this battle
>>
File: 1634069490888.png (735 KB, 1000x837)
735 KB
735 KB PNG
>>83813699
Fuck this racetraitor subhuman
>>
>>83813699
linus is a retard that doesn't understand even what git is, so he should be ignored. he's a windows faggot that just talks about MUH CPU POWER FOR MUH GAMES. he's tech trash that should be forcefully pushed out of tech forever
>>
>>83814655
hahahah look at this windows retard. DUHHHHHH I NEED TO BE SPOONFED BECAUSE IM A FUCKIN WETARD
>>
>>83820452
You should kill yourself instead you subversive kike, sure your friends have already killed the site. But I'll continue to spit and laugh at you untill this site goes down.
>>
File: 1634145843444.jpg (283 KB, 677x822)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>83816809
>fucking lmao, i've seen people do this way too many times.
Yes. However how many of them are Tech tubers ?
How many of them can assemble a PC ?
How many of them know the difference between SSD. HDD and M.2 ?
And how many of the people who know this will conclude with
>I'm not fucken learning new stuff !
You either are a Tech Tuber where YOUR FUCKEN JOB ( !!! ) Is to learn new tech shit so you are up to date or you fucken embrace boomer/zoomer retardation and never learn anything and stop being a Tech Tuber.

Also like pointed out this has nothing to do with Linux it is 100% related to websites a website that works the same on all operating systems and Linus does not understand how to operate it. The UI does not look cryptic the button is colored for you.

If wrote in the chat
>How the fuck do I download shit from git hub ?
People will tell him this in 1h or 1 day max.

So he is simply stupid and lazy.

>fucking lmao, i've seen people do this way too many times.
Only a tech tuber is not allowed to be this stupid he does not get to say this. He spend so much time learning about cables and how CPUs work and GPUs and what all the connectors are. Is he to retarded to do the same for a website ?

Also does the retard not have Anthony ? Because according to legend Anthony knows linux and shit. I say legend because I doubt Anthony can cd cd cd.. cd out of a directory even if his life depended on this.

Linus
"I fucken build a complicated RAID 1 Petabyte server with multiple configurations"
"however refuse to ask people in chats etc where the download button is"
Everyone !
>>
>>83820317
LTT shills out in full force today I see.
>>
File: DgjXRD3UwAAZBDo.jpg large.jpg (160 KB, 1079x1268)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>83815198
>make. So I think it's a good thing to show a more realistic first-impression for what an average pleb might deal with, so long as they THEN also explain later on why what they did was wrong and what they should've been doing instead.
Like pointed out Git hub has nothing to do with linux its a website unrelated to linux I bet it also hosts script files for windows only.

He can literally not use a normal website.
The only thing that should be confusing him are the names since its
>CODE
Not
>Download

This makes sense because the websites HOSTS CODE.

OR "Get Raw"
Because this is talking about RAW CODE.

I like him try to get a windows configuration file from github on windows and then cry how unintuitive windows is and how windows uses code embedded in HTML files.

Git hub is a website unrelated to linux !

Someone know a github that has windows scripts or windows configuration files ? I love to throw him a link and say get this windows configuration file form github is he can not then windows must have a problem by his logic.
Screen record 100% of the operations you do and then do the same for the linux scripts you where unable to get. The results will be interesting.

>But if at the end of all this they stick to their "waaaaaahhhh why am I having trouble downloading random bash scripts off github???? WTF linux sucks :( stop pointing out my error you're T O X I C" then they can kys

Basically this, he fucked up hard then cried that linux is to blame, and refuses to learn.
I'm interested to know why he does not throw temper tantrums like this when a manufacturer gives him a connector he does not know ? HOW THE FUCK DOES HE LEARN NEW THINGS !?

If people say he is only a hardware guy I remind you he knows how to configure a RAID setup.
>>
>>83813889
just use google someone already asked that
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7106012/download-a-single-folder-or-directory-from-a-github-repo
>>
File: Strip119.gif (101 KB, 886x450)
101 KB
101 KB GIF
>>83813699
Here is what Linus must do instead of showing his hobo face to the camera he takes screen recording software (we know he knows how to use one) he makes a 100% unintorupted screen recording of what he tired to do step by step and posts this he also needs to show what repo he tried to get.

The results of this will be fascinating.

>>83815427
Bzzz this is not he problem. I need to know HOW THE LIVING FUCK did he manage to end up with a script file inside a HTML file.

There are only a handful of answers that do not make linus look like a retard and one of them is someone gave him a link to a troll repo to troll him.

Picture related.
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EVEN GET THIS FROM GITHUB ?!
Pic extremely related.
>>
>>83820029
>Big green button
VS
>Right clicking on text to download it

What was his tirade against normies having problems using this again ?
>>
File: ac7.jpg (57 KB, 680x661)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>83820230
Achievement unlocked:
>Self filtering yourself from learning anything new

>NO I'M NOT LISTENING TO PEOPLE TELLING ME HOW TO DO THIS !
>>
>>83820498
Looks like the rice burner just made himself look like a retard to 20% of his audience.
Keep tanking yourself you rice farmer !
>>
>>83818414
I know how it's displayed to the user. I'm asking if the actual files can be read from a zip out of order.
>>83819982
not on windows+firefox at least, the suggested filename has a .htm extension. but sure, that depends on your setup then
>>
File: eFBfFU7J.jpg (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>83820729
>hahahah look at this windows retard. DUHHHHHH I NEED TO BE SPOONFED BECAUSE IM A FUCKIN WETARD
The most funny thing is that Git Hub is owned and operated by Microsoft.
>>
>>83813699
>Linus makes good points
>GitHub fags are mad that everyone is agreeing with Linus
Face it, you shit stinks to high heavens. If you don't want to use codebase or fork it, GitHub is horrendous to use.
>>
>>83814313
fucking nigger why should it??????????? why would you want a download file on individual code files??????????????????
>>
>>83821920
Because it's the most relevant part for me, I don't give a shit about anything else but this code file.
>>
>>83813889
t. Linus
>>
>>83813699
comedy gold
>>
File: ZIP in Win RAR.png (62 KB, 516x527)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>83821890
>I know how it's displayed to the user. I'm asking if the actual files can be read from a zip out of order.
What ? Do you understand how a ZIP works picture related what I downloaded from Git Hub.
>>
I mean he is probably not wrong by saying that adding a "download" button to ever file wouldn't hurt anyone, but he also says a lot of dumb shit. Especially for so called techtuber
> "file extensions on linux are not like in windows they only hint on what's inside the file!!"
uhh yeah that's how file extensions work on windows too, hence why you can rename .docx to .zip and open it to look at file structure.
Also
>presses the wrong button
>downloads html instead of .sh
>"WHY WOULD GITHUB DO THIS
>>
>>83814025
He literally just right clicked on the script he wanted and used "save link as" causing it to download the HTML file.
>>
>>83822309
>but he also says a lot of dumb shit. Especially for so called techtuber
Yes the other thing that takes the cake is that he bitches
>Huuurrr Duuur DE What is this Huuurrr Duuur
Excuse me Linus why did you not go
>Huuurrr Duuur SSD What is this Huuurrr Duuur
or
>Huuurrr Duuur File System What is this Huuurrr Duuur

These are things a tech tuber is not allowed to say, learn it like you learned what a fucken file system is you retard ! And there are console gamer who look at PC gaming like this
>Processor ?
>Graphics card ?
> RAM ?
>I only wanted to play games! Everyone normal will give up at this point and get a console.
Here is the thing a tech tuber can not say these things.

>presses the wrong button
>downloads html instead of .sh
>"WHY WOULD GITHUB DO THIS
Correction he did say

>"WHY WOULD LINUX DO THIS
Despite this having zero to do with linux.
>>
>>83822591
>He literally just right clicked on the script he wanted and used "save link as" causing it to download the HTML file.
Then it is literally only a Linus problem.
Normies will click the only colorful button on screen.

People who are advanced will know what to do. This is a 100% Linus only problem. The fact that he ignores people telling him this or wanting to teach him this even the distro devs themselves is his own doing.

I think git hub should add a Linus mode where the JS detects if Sebastian Linus is browsing github (this is not difficult from all the spyware he has installed) and literally lock everything on the page and give big moving and pointing arrows to the big green download button while writing on screen
>Hello Sebastian Linus press this.
>>
>>83817987
Fuckung retard, github is a programming ecosystem with wikis, ci/cd, automated builds, issues, collaboration and bunch of other shit with git taped somewhere on the side
The ability to easy download separate files or releases is not an option, its a fucking requirement for such project
>>
>>83813699
Not watching the video, what exactly did he do?
>>
>>83814992
But it is very much standartized -
Repository for code.
Releases for binaries.
Sometimes people misuse Git and put binaries in the repo. That's just people not understanding how this shit works.
>>
>>83813699
Github is a front-end for a developer tool. If you're not a normie that doesn't understand the tool you shouldn't be complaining about the front-end, since you're clearly not the one it's meant for. It would be like starbucks baristas complaining about LHCs controls being a mess or something. Fucking retards.
>>83823007
He's salty that he couldn't find the "Raw" button on Github and ctrl+s'd a random github page and then tried to run it (the saved html page) using bash.
>>
>>83813699
He may be dumb, but he's right. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to directly download individual files without CLI.
>>
>>83823318
>There is no reason you shouldn't be able to directly download individual files
Why don't you download a individual file form any program and tell me how that one worked out for you.
Do you even computers ?
>>
>>83814084
>should
why?
too much handholding is a bad thing, we definitely don't need to spoonfeed people even more, learn the git/github ways, if you don't want to then gladly fuck off back to where you belong, you won't be missed.
tools are supposed to be understood (to a certain point obviously, we can't be expert at everything) before used, we definitely need less big buttons everywhere in order to start moving our civilization forward again...
>>
>"DOWNLOAD FILE
that's not how git works at all, go back to window and stay there, we don't want you
>>
>>83813699
On one hand, I want to see Linux become mainstream but when I see this, I really don't want it.
>>
>>83824533
exactly because if linux becomes mainstream the entire planet will become the stupid questions thread and YOU will become tech support for retards 24/7. i hope linux stays as unpopular as it is right now, the perfect amount of unpopular
>>
hardware>software
>>
Fucking github can replace master slave but cannot put a fucking download button
>>
>make an .exe installer

Guys, i just wanted to say that Github's purpose is for people to upload opensource software, then the users of it can build it by running a few commands or a particular file like installer.sh, well you know what i mean.

So with all due respect, to the ones who say that they want an .exe installer, just go to sourceforge or whatever its called, (a place full of programs with a backdoor running in the back-end), github wasnt made for 7 year old kids, and stop saying "make a download button", theres literally a "code" button and when u press on it you can see download .zip :o

Extract the zip and you got it.

Or just copy the repo's link and run git clone <repo> in your terminal.
>>
>>83813699
Didn't watch the video
Is he actually too retarded to see the download zip button and the "releases" tab on the right column ?
>>
>>83824436
But I am not forking the thing nor contributing to it, I am just downloading a file.
>>
File: file.png (271 KB, 1235x3922)
271 KB
271 KB PNG
>>83826090
No one has time for this shit just provide an exe schizo
>>
>>83826263
click the raw button then ctrl + s
that was hard indeed...
>>
>>83826299
Ok
>puts bitcoin miner in the exe
>>
>>83813699
>even the creator of linux thinks git is bullshit
neckbeards btfo
>>
>>83826299

get off github, you're wasting bandwidth
>>
>>83826360

Linus Torvalds is also the creator of git.

I guess you meant "github" but you're too stupid to know the difference.
>>
>>83814084
I agree 100% unironically
>>
>>83813699
Any idea why Luke responded with, "Oh no..." at the mention of Ubuntu?
>>
This whole thread is full of idiots. As an actually employed software developer I have never in my whole career needed a "download" button for a single file. If it's a single file you can just copy/paste the code but in 99% of use cases you need the whole repo anyway.
>>
>>83813699
Reminder that he got filtered by popos
>>
>>83826405
because ubuntu fucking sucks
>>
>>83826419
How would he know that?
>>
>>83817974
>meanwhile on windows
>sound working
>gpu working
Why live like this?
>>
File: file.png (5 KB, 1790x45)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>83826377
No
>>
File: bsbiw5i8a3521.png (1.23 MB, 912x905)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>83813699
In that video he was ALREADY like "YOU SAID YOU'D BE THERE FOR ME, BUT NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME WHAT TO DO!!!" as though helpful instruction constitutes a criticism of his technical aptitude. I cannot fucking wait until this video series alienates him from his entire audience.
>>
>>83814084
I know this is bait, but how are you gonna download a diff, retard? What are you downloading, the old file or the new one? And why would you need the Makefile without the rest of the fucking repo?
>>
>>83822591
What file was he even trying to download? Why would he need a single file from a repo anyway?
>>
>>83815810
If you want the text file you can just copy paste it, retard, you don't even have to go to the raw page for that
>>
>>83816945
no normie has ever needed to download a raw source file, so the only conclusion is that you're a fucking retard
>>
>>83815198
his problem literally isn't even tied to linux at all though, the dumbass tried to download a website via ctrl + s. Every single OS and Browser combo behaves the same in that regard
>>
>>83817974
This meme about sound not working on loonix hasn't been relevant for about a decade at this point, I don't get why it's still mentioned
>>
>>83816387
why would a non-dev go to github though? Shit, why the hell would they be fucking around with random files in a github repository?
>>
File: file.png (26 KB, 388x310)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>83818390
nice bait faggot, the releases are right there
>>
>>83826470
it is not his first rodeo with loonix, Linus as well... they are just trying to pull more tards that are over the fence to loonix side because of Steam Deck.
>>
>>83814084
this question surely riled up some faggots but they cant seem to give a solution to download a diff file from git, kek
>>
>>83827313
What the fuck do you expect to happen when downloading a diff, exactly?
>>
>>83827408
you realize diff files are a thing?
>>
>>83826299
You dont got time while living at your mom's playing league of legends the whole day and watching tiktoks? fucking shizo cant use a fucking pc you fucked up dumbass gorilla fucktard
>>
File: stupidmonke.jpg (499 KB, 1920x1200)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
>Why is there no download button?

Because theres a fucking "download zip" and you can just git clone or copy paste the code

>Github sucks, boo hoo

Dont like it, dont use it fucking kiddo

>I want an .exe installer shizo

Why dont you just download a malware sample and run it on your fucking windows machine? The result would be the same, stupid kid cant fucking git clone.

>Linux sucks 'cause i cant install anything, windows better and easier

Windows is supposed to be thrown out through the window and you just cant admit that you're too much of a retard to use opensource software without bill gates being up your little 14 year old ass, go cry on your moms

>How do i install the software on github

read the fucking README you fuck, you should've learnt how to read way back

>I DONT HAVE TIME TO DO BUILD IT AND INSTALL IT SOMEHOW

Bitch stfu, my man chillin at his mom's basement busy asf, pretending to be some software developer and not able to run one damn script to install, github aint for your ass if you cant take 15seconds to install something from it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.