[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DirectoryOpus.jpg (464 KB, 1338x879)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
It's 2021. Still no shortcut to simply END PROCESS. Alt+F4 simply *requests* that the application close. A game hangs, and you're stuck in a black screen where sometimes even the task manager (with always on top set) doesn't show. Yet Microsoft continues to push operating systems that have absolutely no improvements worth upgrading, packed with the same issues from the last two decades, and its rabid fans insist you need to upgrade. And I don't want to hear about workarounds, that's not the point.

I stayed on windows 7 for years until I came to windows 10. Security? Security my ass. In all my years I've had nothing worth concerning myself over; not during my over extended stay on XP, nor my over extended stay on windows 7. If you continue to improve the current operating system and its flaws, security isn't an issue. It's not a valid reason to upgrade. The only reason there would be security issues is due to abandoning support for the old operating system. I would argue new operating systems that have been considerably rewritten are more at risk. I understand the need to innovate and that requires starting from the ground up at times, but what we are getting is not something I'd consider re-invented or innovative!

Windows Explorer: I don't even want to get started with this shit. If you've ever used Directory Opus(pic related), you'll see what I mean. It's got a host of features for managing your files and viewing/comparing them. The customization options alone are unbelievable. I have shortcuts with unique icons that take me exactly where I want. Tabbed folders, etc. Why is it Microsoft refuses to actually improve the PC user's experience? Stop appealing to fucking phone and tablet users who are NOT going to migrate. PCs are not made for browsing facebook on the road. So why would you aim for that? I'm a developer and I need an operating system that improves my work flow.
>>
Make it yourself op...
>>
Unsubscribe
>>
>>83388445
good morning sir
>>
>meanwhile on Linux
>The SIGKILL signal is used to cause immediate program termination. It cannot be handled or ignored, and is therefore always fatal. It is also not possible to block this signal
>>
>>83388445
FOSS OS don't have this problem
>>
>>83388445
My Task Manager is set to auto open at "Details" tab. Pressing delete while a process is selected there is a instant process kill, not a request.
I can just press Ctrl+Alt+Del and type the first couple letters of the process and press Del - Enter and boom, dead. Even when I can't see the screen.
>>
What I don't get is why Microsoft doesn't just make varying branches of Windows.
Windows Home could be their simplified, dumbed down Windows they've always wanted to make.
Windows Pro could be current Windows 10.
Windows Server could easily have held on to the XP interface. There's no reason that Windows Server should have Windows 10's start menu with tiles and the taskbar transparency.
With Windows 11 coming out soon, that means Windows Server will get Teams integration, a bloated taskbar, a bloated Explorer and context menus, and the rounded corners
It's just silly
>>
>>83388524
Good luck fucking opening a terminal when Linux doesn't even attempt to restrict how much memory a program should use. Lol.
>>
>>83388537

Believe me, I've considered Linux many times, but I'm stuck in my Windows ways. I simply don't feel confident enough to make the jump with such a wide range of old and new, finicky and custom applications I use. Then there is gaming. I know it's made major strides in playing games, but I don't think it's there yet.

My main complaint is that Microsoft has the resources and potential to do so much more -- innovate like Linux has -- yet it refuses to do so.
>>
>>83388524

Unless the process is in the D state.
>>
>>83388560

I'll keep this in mind, thanks.
>>
>>83388590
Just switch to a different getty faggot
>>
>>83388445
windowfags btfo’d
>>
>>83388445
Kill -9
Or taskill on windows
You can bind either on their respective platforms
>>
>>83388576
>There's no reason that Windows Server should have Windows 10's start menu with tiles and the taskbar transparency.
Because Windows is absolute spaghetti, everything's tied together in knots that can make men go man
>>
>>83388606
Doesn't work either. I know this by experience. I've had situations where I couldn't even SSH into a server because a process went nuts
>>
>>83388445
>Her OS crashes so much she needs a shortcut to save it
Also of course there's shortcuts to do it, just like in Linux you have a shortcut that calls a 3rd party program that does it, so does Windows.

DOpus should be illegal to use for retards like you. Such a shame.

>also implying that normies should use DOpus
You're a retard, don't even care about the ad hominem, you seriously think average user would need DOpus over a Android level file manager? No, it would cause massive outcry.
Hence why 3rd party file manager and even explorer shell replacements are a thing and a feature Microsoft officially supports, if you need it, use it, don't complain that the file manager the OS comes with is targeted at normal users.
Every other OS needs 3rd party programs for advanced features too, be it GNU/Linux with a specialized distro or macOS. That's how it works, if you're too dumb to download one yourself, you probably too dumb to need one.

Honestly ridiculous, but considering your autistic outcry you either won't even read this post to the end or just miss the point anyways, have fun with your retarded OS shitposting, use the OS for the job and quit crying.

>I stayed on windows 7 for years until I came to windows 10.
Windows 7 was never good, Windows 10 was less shit than 7 pretty much from the start. People are just dumb luddites parroting after each other.
>>
>>83388631
>3rd party program that does it, so does Windows.
taskkill is built into windows anon, just bind a explorer shortcut to a key combination for it
>>
>>83388445
>Stop appealing to fucking phone and tablet users who are NOT going to migrate.
They already use the OS. They wouldn't if it didn't work like their phone and tablet though.
Have you looked at home OS market share? Windows still leads by huge margins.
>>
>>83388631

Windows explorer is part of the operating system, dumb shit. When you're improving software, you improve it in every aspect you can. Else what's the point of the next version? Please enlighten me as to WHAT has been -- in terms of user experience -- the biggest leaps from windows XP to windows 10? Don't talk to me about security and network shit behind the scenes, I'm talking about user interface and improvements to their experience. Translucent fucking taskbar?
>>
File: oh no.png (33 KB, 720x349)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>83388631
>Windows 7 was never good, Windows 10 was less shit than 7 pretty much from the start
picrel
file explorer doesn't get a free pass just because it's deliberately designed for the lowest common denominator either, there is no fucking excuse for it not having basic features like tabs when virtually every single default file manager on linux does. even fucking finder has tabs apparently, microshit has no excuse
>>
>>83388713

No doubt it won't have them in windows 11, 12, 15, 34 either. I believe even IE didn't have tabs until firefox did it, no? Yet so quick to repackage the same shit and sell it.
>>
>>83388590
>what is ulimit -v
>>
>>83388590
Yes it can, why do you feel the need to talk about something you have zero experience with?
>>
>>83388445
>Still no shortcut to simply END PROCESS
You mean ctrl+shift+esc?
>>
>>83388817

Even that doesn't work. At least in my experience with specific games.
>>
>>83388757
tabs were officially added to mozilla 0.9.5 in late 2001 (https://www-archive.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla0.9.5/) and ie didn't get tabs until ie7 finally came out in 2006, so that's a bit of an understatement
i would also argue that file explorer in win11 is actively worse than it is in 10 simply because of the newer, dumbed down fluent design ribbon bar and the awful modern context menu, but it's not like it wasn't already dogshit before so
>>
>>83388835

I hadn't been following anything regarding windows 11's explorer. Not surprised, but definitely pissed that it seems to be getting worse. I mean, I'm going to use Dopus regardless of the operating system, but what bothers me most is the push from Microsoft fanatics to upgrade every time we get a new release. They take the old car, repaint it, and insist yours is going to break down if you don't buy this one. All the while they add absolutely nothing that would benefit me, and in fact, often remove features or break functionality with software I actually use. I can't think right off hand, but there was something I liked regarding the start menu in windows 7 that I could no longer do in windows 10. Also, I still have some oddball apps for specific dev projects that don't function correctly anymore despite every attempt at getting them to. I've had to dual boot windows 7 when it comes to working on those projects.
>>
File: demoralised.jpg (95 KB, 1036x627)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>83388524
i3 I use has a shortcut to softkill a program and I never needed a hard kill because I don't use programs that hang or make me want to hang myself.
>>83388445
I hate windoze users but you made me feel bad now.
Here's some spoonfeed so you can fix it.
>inb4 why do I have to do this myself
because you chose to use a system where users didn't get pissed by lack of such feature and already fixed it themselves, be a better person, build small program that listens to shortcuts and allows you to kill the program with keyboard, and make windows better for everyone
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winuser/nf-winuser-getforegroundwindow?redirectedfrom=MSDN
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winuser/nf-winuser-getwindowthreadprocessid?redirectedfrom=MSDN
After you got a PID, open it with
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/processthreadsapi/nf-processthreadsapi-openprocess
like this:
const auto proc = OpenProcess(PROCESS_TERMINATE, false, process_id);
TerminateProcess(proc, 1);
CloseHandle(proc);

goodluck anon, hope you make it.
>inb4 toddler cries out in pain after given actual advice from a freetard
>>
>>83388825
Try to type first symbols of process name and press Del to terminate it.
>>
>>83388934
>try to do something retarded
its sad how writing what I posted in >>83388909
would be simpler and faster to do, at this point you may aswell just open a task manager like a cuck and rightclick on a process, despite you wanting to simply kill a program that's right in front of you.
Not having a feature to rightclick a window and press close is quite baffling to me.
Just imagine if windows GUI had native support for that.
It would be like windows on freetard systems, except you can use your mouse to do it without spooky keybinds.
>inb4 rightclick->kill on window would be bad because it would just be okay?
>>
>>83388445
On the subject of forcing a process to end. I recently "upgraded" to windows 7 from XP. It seems that XP has a feature where it allows you to kill hung windows, but it seems to have been removed from 7.
>>
>>83388627
>Because Windows is absolute spaghetti
Stop perpetuating this bullshit, windows is the way it is not for any technical reason, but because they want it that way. They cannot allow you to escape their vision by using the server OS.
>>
>>83388445
On GNU/Linux it's just kill -9
>>
>>83388713
> tabs
To be fair, explorer has restrictions which no other file manager has
A large amount of 3rd party software depends on the internal architecture of explorer. So every change they make is like walking on egg shells.
>>
DONATE TO REACTOS FILTHY WORMS!
>>
>>83388445
>A game hangs, and you're stuck in a black screen where sometimes even the task manager (with always on top set) doesn't show
win+tab, switch to another desktop, open taskmgr and kill it from there
>>
>>83388713
why would you put tabs in the explorer when you have tabs in the task bar ?
fucking morons man
>>
File: are you retarded.jpg (36 KB, 378x198)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>83391369
>giving money to mentally ill people
>>
File: 1631721702979.png (60 KB, 1285x749)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>83388445
How add Styles tab on DO?
my setup
>>
>>83388445
>He didn't write a window hook dll that terminates process behind currently active window if ctrl-alt-backspace is pressed
ngmi
>>
THIS THIS THIS SO MUCH THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>C-X K
C-X K
>C-X K
C-X K
>C-X K
C-X K
>C-X K
C-X K
>C-X K
C-X K
>C-X K
C-X K
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>83388445
>https://stefansundin.github.io/superf4/
>>
>>83388524
What is SIGTERM?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.