[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Daily reminder that thinkpads are junk with chinese spyware protected by bootguard. (Otherwise, why would they enable it on low end models????)
If you don't want to get an eye cancer, but also want a sturdy laptop, please consider LG Gram, Dell XPS, and HP Spectre.
>>
M1 Macbook Air is better
>>
>>82647807
>M1 Macbook
>>
>>82647807
Yeah. M1 macbook is better than Thinkpad.
M1 is better than LG Gram in sense it has better screen.
LG Gram is better than M1 is that it has two M.2 NVMe slots, and older models even had RAM slot.
>>
Based LG enjoyer
>>
>>82647807
based applechad

btw the op is right, modern thinkpads are literally the worst computers in the market
>>
dell laptops are absolute fucking shit
>>
>>82648511
Dell laptops are 10/10.
https://youtu.be/cUvnuG9rYuk?t=1026
>>
I don't use laptops much but no trackpoint is a dealbreaker for me.
>>
>>82648591
LG has good touchpad
Trackpoint is a meme
>>
>>82648603
I disagree and very much prefer trackpoints.
>>
>>82648636
Trackpoints suck. They lack touchpad precision
>>
>>82648645
It just takes some practice which I have. I'm very precise with them, I can even do pretty well in a first person shooter with one. I used to play CSGO on a trackpoint for a lark and didn't have major issues.
>>
>>82647767
>Dell XPS
Nah, get a Latitude.
>HP Spectre
Not in a pink fit.
>>
>>82648591
>>82648636
I bet you have never used Apple's Force Touch Trackpad.
>>
>>82648742
I've never used any Apple product except on a VM to test if a tool I've made works on a mac.
>>
>>82648826
Apple's trackpads are probably best thing that Apple ever made. It's huge, comfy to use and Force Touch is a cool feature to have. Small trackpads on PC laptops are useless in my opinion. Also, ThinkPads have buttons for trackpoint, and it makes trackpad are even smaller on ThinkPads.
>>
>>82648734
>Latitude
It is made out of plastic, and thus it belongs to trash
>>
>>82648873
XPS laptops are worse than Macbooks sold at the same price, Dell somehow managed to produce a laptop series more overpriced than Apple, fucking kek.
>>
>>82648848
Doesn't matter to me, I've always just disabled trackpads and used the trackpoint with the buttons. I'd prefer for the trackpad to be as small as possible or not there at all to not waste space.
>>
>>82648912
Makes sense, in my opinion:
Mac Trackpads > Trackpoint > PC Trackpads
Using small trackpads is fucking cancer, I disabled trackpad on my old Thinkpad.
>>
File: gZot4fZJKDUIjDHq.jpg (212 KB, 1600x1200)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>82648892
XPSes are nice, they have magnesium plate.

Screen+Case+Battery >>>>> Specs
>>
>>82648928
>Screen+Case+Battery >>>>> Specs
Don't Macbooks sold at the same price point have better displays? Cheaper XPS's still have 1080p displays. Also with Apple M1, Macs don't have any rival in terms of battery life.
>>
>/g/ shilling applel
Truly a tragic sight to behold
>>
>>82648953
Macbooks have weird CPU that doesnt support anything and soldered SSD.

>Also with Apple M1, Macs don't have any rival in terms of battery life.
LG Gram + Linux
But yeah M1 has good battery life, because applel didnt just suck money during 2020
>>
>>82648997
XPS's also have soldered SSD, also M1 can run most x86 apps without a problem.

I'm not comparing M1 Macs with LG Gram btw. I'm proving XPS's are bad machines to that anon.
>>
>>82649016
>XPS's also have soldered SSD
Then XPS kinda belongs to trash kek
>>
>>82648997
>LG Gram + Linux
How many hours of battery life are you having on that machine on daily use, anon? I'm having 11-12 hours for daily usage on my M1 Macbook Air. LG Gram seems based, what specs does that machine have?
>>
>>82649057
7-12 hours of realistic workload in Windows.
7-15 hours of realistic workload in Linux.
> what specs does that machine have?
i5 10210U. 8 gb soldered, nvme 256 ssd.
Waiting for ram and ssd to arrive.
AFAIK newer grams have RAM soldered, so yeah. Fuck you LG.
>>
File: Untitlede.png (125 KB, 996x873)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>82649084
Idk. It reminds me of A1466 macbook air. Except screen. Screen is nicer, but still FHD (though newer have 16:10) and not-that-bright
>>
>>82647767
What battery is that?
>>
>>82647767
man why dont they make the ryzen version 14"
>>
>>82649249
They make 13.3 Ryzen.
Ask LG kek. Unironically. Their marketing dept is so shit, they need fucking ideas.
>>
>>82649290
They should have hired a /g/ tard unironically.
Their smartphone dept would be alive if they did this.
>>
>>82648990
the entire site is dead, what else is new
>>
>>82647767
>If you don't want to get an eye cancer, but also want a sturdy laptop, please consider LG Gram, Dell XPS, and HP Spectre.
>HP
HP does the same shit, they even check the firmware at boot and if the checksum doesn't match the latest signed firnware version that was flashed the firmware gets overwritten with a fresh backup copy. So you can't even use a programmer to write a modded firmware image. Or you can, but it will get overwritten the first time you boot it. Only way out seems either fucking with even lower level shit or maybe something like a bait-and-switch timing attack.
HP even does this on the chaepest gaymen consumer laptops.
>>
>>82647767
>an eye cancer
>please consider
sir please do the sneedful
>>
>>82649398
>HP does the same shit
They aren't chinese company, and their BIOS isn't as bad as Lenovo BIOS
> if the checksum doesn't match the latest signed firnware version that was flashed the firmware gets overwritten with a fresh backup copy.
You can't back up firmware, if you don't have flash with it. And ITE ECs don't have EEPROM.

But yes, they enable bootguard
>>
>>82649481
>They aren't chinese company, and their BIOS isn't as bad as Lenovo BIOS
So it's the glowniggers spying on me instead of the CCP, great.
>Yes you can back up firmware.
Yes, you can read it from the running host system even. Even if you couldn't you can download old versions from HP's support pages for your model. They keep a full history.
Problem is, you can't downgrade it.
>And ITE ECs don't have EEPROM.
I think that would depend on the model. Some appear to use flash memory, too.
At least it's not always read-only.
See: https://8051enthusiast.github.io/2021/07/05/001-EC_legacy.html
>>
>>82648997
>ARM
>weird CPU
>>
>>82650122
>So it's the glowniggers spying on me instead of the CCP, great.
Yes, but their backdoors are more stable.
>Problem is, you can't downgrade it.
I have AMD Athlon HP shitbook (14-dk1003) and I was able to downgrade BIOS with HP official tool.
AMI bios.
Idk. But thing is HP bios isn't making me angry like lenovo bios.
>>82650138
ARM is really weird. I wonder if Samsung Galaxybook Go can run Linux tho, because I think it has ARM CPU
>>
File: 1623350706591.png (56 KB, 220x221)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>82649016
at least my xps 15 2020 has two nvme slots
>>
>>82650189
>I have AMD Athlon HP shitbook (14-dk1003) and I was able to downgrade BIOS with HP official tool.
Across how many versions?
They don't necessarily lock every single vesion, but if the update contains something they consider "critical" they lock it, making downgrades below that impossible. Sometimes you still can do some kind of "rollback", but if it works it only allows rolling back to the last version you had. Arbitrary downgrads are severely restricted.
Also not everything is necessarily downgraded. For example, on Intel laptops the ME firmware is not rolled back. Same goes form microcode, IIRC.
>>
>>82650392
>Across how many versions?
To first one, which was 46 or 45 ithink.

Idk. I really don't get why can't you just use a flasher and flash 100% legit dump from same laptop from, idk. vlab.su
I'm pretty sure bootguard even wont care much, as key is flashed only once
>>
>>82650432
I know. I think you're confusing with Dell, which has like update only (i.e. not full image)
>>
>>82650432
Maybe it's because on AMD there are no "critical security" patches, so they don't have to lock downgrades. On Intel it's basically impossible because almost every update fixes some vuln that makes them lock it.
>Idk. I really don't get why can't you just use a flasher and flash 100% legit dump from same laptop from, idk. vlab.su
I guess that might possibly work if it's unmodified. But it won't work if you try to flash modded firmware with a picture of your waifu as boot logo, or with unlocked settings, VBIOS, etc. etc. That will get overwritten by a backup. Not sure if that backup also gets updated in lock-step when you do a firmware update.
But again, that doesn't necessarily downgrade everything. Some components that have their firmware updated along with the regular system firmware might stick to the latest version anyway. Example is for ME on Intel which never downgrades. Maybe PSP on AMD is like this, but I don't now.
>>
>>82648997
TIL the Intel Core i9 is a "weird CPU that doesn't support anything."
>>
>>82650522
>But it won't work if you try to flash modded firmware with a picture of your waifu as boot logo, or with unlocked settings, VBIOS, etc. etc. That will get overwritten by a backup.
First of all, it won't let you flash it, as flashed checks signatures AFAIK.
So you would have to flash bios chip.
Once you flash bios chip (and we assume there are no other flash chips and EC controller doesn't have a copy of a bios), laptop would just not boot, as bootguard is probably enabled in verified boot mode.
>. Example is for ME on Intel which never downgrades.
I think ME lives on CPU. And there is also an ME region in ROM, which you should remove, because it causes issues if you don't (especially when you replaced SoC, since this can enable bootguard, and most repairshops don't enable it)

Idk. All I know is that Dell has 10/10 homosex with BIOSes.
>EC has decryption code inside (eFUSE), so if EC blows up (for example when somebody dicked around with LCD screen while battery was plugged it) you have to get a used part, as new one won't have proper eFUSE decrypt code inside.
>no BIOS images available, so you have to steal them from questionable sources

>>82650553
Intel macbooks are kinda bad. M1 is good. But M1 is a weird CPU.
>>
>>82650606
>Once you flash bios chip (and we assume there are no other flash chips and EC controller doesn't have a copy of a bios)
That's exactly it, there is a copy of a pristine virgin vendor signed firmware image that gets written over anything that doesn't match what the vendor signed.
They call it"Boots for sure" or some shit.
Right, here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06216928
>I think ME lives on CPU
But the firmware doesn't. I guess if you use a flash programmer that will reset the ME firmware, too, but I wouldn't bet on it. Could very well be stored somewhere else.
>>
>>82650656
Pretty interesting.
>>
>>82648489
They are literally not but they still are praised way too blindly by a lot of faggots. Also is there a low end thinkpad or is op talking about ideapads or something like that?
>>
>>82648734
>Shititude
new ones heat up like a motherfucker, shit tier laptop desu
however bad stinkpads may be these days, they're still one of the better laptops available
buying them used basically boils down to paying the same price for a thinkpad with all the build quality you get from them or you can get some gayming shittop that will have a powerful gpu but the keyboard keys will fall out in 2 years, the hinges will shit the bed in another 2 years if the whole laptop won't die from heat before any of that
>>
>>82650912
low end thinkpads are probably the E and L series, they suck major ass and only share the visual design
keyboards flex, hinges are crap, battery is crap, everything is shit

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.