[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>Popular uses and easy setups
https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/home-server/

>Large Github list of services
https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted

>More of the above
https://awesomeopensource.com/projects/self-hostedvmtd0
>>
>>82639184
Thinking of setting up my own mail server, mainly just to learn the process. However I'm concerned that the possibly of me being rekt is quite high, if I want to actually use this server I will need to forward my servers ports for mail right? Would other email services even accept mail from me?
>>
>>82639184
Thanks OP, this is a good general. Question for anyone here with larger homelabs. Do you use iSCSI, FE, SMB/NAS or SATA to connect drive arrays to your VMs?
I'm planning out my homelab upgrade and can't decide on how to handle storage. My current setup is just a drive over sata to a bare metal ubuntu desktop but I want to upgrade to multiple VMs using proxmox and ZFS or LVM to pool multiple drives together.
Do I need to buy a motherboard with tons of sata ports for 6+ drives or is it better to start looking at iSCSI networking now?
>>
>>82639210
Nope. You need a reputable IP/Domain to do any type of email service. And res IPs, esp dynamic are impossible to do anything with.
>>
>>82639331
>Dynamic IP

Yikes, guess it's over for me before it began.
>>
Hi thread.
Thinking about approaches to copying backups from backup server to an external HDD (intended to be taken offsite afterwards). Server takes daily btrfs snapshots, should I send and receive those snapshots to the external drive, or would it make any sense to ignore btrfs and just rsync latest data to ext4?
Also recently I moved main server's backup and SnapRAID sync/scrub jobs from cron + window in tmux to systemd service and timer units. Feels nice, more "proper" for sure.

>>82639184
>didn't post the sticky
One job, anon.
>>
>>82639184
Anons, if all I'm going to use a discrete GPU for is PI-KVM, will ubuntu care that it's from nvidia?
>>
>>82639642
ZFS user here. Are btrfs snapshots sendable similar to "zfs send"?
Whenever I think about restores, I think "how difficult is it to get the zfs stack on here so I can zfs send from my backup".
rsync will take less time since it only sends the difference, but there's something to be said for writing a whole backup every time to make sure the backup media is still good...
>>
>>82639909
No, even the nouveau driver (presumably default on Ubuntu) should work fine.
>>82639947
Yup, they are. I should be able to mount the snapshots from external HDD on any Linux machine, since btrfs is in kernel already.
>rsync will take less time since it only sends the difference
Seems like btrfs send can do incremental transfers too.
I was thinking more about whether there's any reason to drop btrfs altogether for the backup copy stored on external drive. So far I have nothing, if anything it'd be better to use btrfs there too, as it would enable me to store multiple snapshots on external instead of just the most recent copy.
>>
>>82639420
You can always host it on a virtual server or use a vpn tunnel from a local box to a static ip.

If you just want a mailbox, check out dovecot it's pretty easy to get running.
>>
>>82640058
uhh yeah, zfs lets me send only the difference between snapshots as well, but I couldn't imagine trying to use them in a restore situation.
are you trying to backup existing data or offload from your main array?
>>
>>82640058
>No, even the nouveau driver (presumably default on Ubuntu) should work fine.
Thanks
>>
>>82640109
Sorry, what I meant is the latter - copy existing data (backups of other devices) from backup server to external drive.
>>
File: 76361306_0051311668.jpg (961 KB, 1920x1080)
961 KB
961 KB JPG
Is there any good amd64 hardware out there that consumes less than 10w idle that doesn't sound like a hair dryer?
>>
>>82639184
>her face when it’s self-hosted
>>
>>82640240
Define "good". Otherwise:
>Intel NUCs
>Lenovo Tiny
>Dell Micro
>HP EliteDesk/ProDesk Mini
I had good experience with a 3040 Micro, I could hear it when someone started streaming media with transcoding but it remained pretty quiet.
>>
>>82640865
Just use Xen
>>
setting up my first home domain so i am intending on making a virtual DC

I wanted to use HyperV but then I found out I have to pay for a license with it when i can just use oracle vmbox and not do that? whats the point then??
>>
I'm looking at building a server for backups/media storage, are the virtual machines from TrueNAS good enough for
>Jellyfin
>some torrent client
>maybe a windows VM for some hacked bullshit
or should I just go with ProxMox?
>>
>>82640939
TrueNAS has jails, right? You could use those for Jellyfin and torrent client, less overhead. As far as VMs go, in brief testing I didn't like the GUI myself and went with Proxmox. You can always install both in e.g. VirtualBox and enable nested virtualization to see which one you like most. I'll mention that TrueNAS' goal is "file server with plugins", while Proxmox is more of a VM and LXC platform.
>>82640884
Maybe if your company is a Windows-heavy it would make sense to run VMs on another Windows box using native, blessed by Microsoft solution, instead of going with something 3rd party. I'd also assume Windows VMs on Hyper-V have better graphics performance than vbox/kvm, but I haven't had a chance to test this myself so far.
>>
What's the best service for streaming music outside my home? Subsonic and Airsonic have gave me troubles and I really don't want to deal with them
>>
>>82641091
Ampache, Funkwhale, Jellyfin + Gelli, Plex + PlexAmp, Samba + WireGuard + whatever music player you like?
>>
>>82641088
But would I be locked away from certain zfs options (like dRaid, or being able to give the serial number of the drives to the pool) in trueNas?
Ideally i'd have two separate machines, one for pure storage, the other for all kinds of services/applications, but I'm afraid that's not a realistic option right now (I mean, everything here is hypothetical, but even then I'd like to have an idea of what are my options)
>>
Any suggestions about just hosting a Minecraft or Gmod server? I assume just an older pc will be sufficient to act as a server
>>
I bought a FortiGate. I kinda like it even with the price.
>>
File: 1622811562298.jpg (37 KB, 474x656)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>82639184
How to make wireguard not shit on LTE connections?
So I have WG on my dd-wrt router and on wifi connections it's perfectly fast and fine but on LTE the connection is inconsistent
It works good for a moment and then it struggles and goes back to being OK and so on.
No real pattern to it, signal can be strong and it still shits the bed, disabling it makes things load again.
I set the keep alive to 25s if that matters
>>
>>82641846
If it's just some friends an old PC will do
Single thread matters with Minecraft the most so whatever you pick get the fastest thing you got. A 22 core Xeon would be wasted and shit compared to a quad core haswell with almost double the clockrate.
Gmod is the same way I imagine being such an old game.
Use an SSD too if you have one spare

That being said don't go out your way to spend a whole lot
>>
>>82642432
MTU? WG works out of the box on my machine, I recall OpenVPN sometimes having issues with SSH connections until I reduced MTU to 1300 or so.
>>
>>82639210
Don't bother, your ISP will most likely block you, but that isn't even the main reason to not do it. The list is long. Just no benefit to doing mail. It sucks
>>
>>82642695
MTU is 1460 which was the default
>>
>>82641220
Not sure, but since it's regular FreeBSD underneath you should be able to do those things via CLI if not via GUI.
>>
>>82642729
Try lower values. Off top of my head, could be the ISP on your LTE connection traffic shaping UDP packets which WireGuard relies on. Have you tried another provider?
>>
>>82642746
No all I have is t-mobile, but I will try lowering it.
Like I said on wifi it works great, literally no downside to routing everything on my phone to the home network, I even bypasses captive portals (atleast at the one hospital I've been in)
>>
>>82642828
Get a prepaid card or ask a friend to run a hotspot for a moment.
>even bypasses captive portals
kek, I've got to try this, must have been some badly configured network I suppose, letting all UDP just go through.
>>
>>82642887
>kek, I've got to try this, must have been some badly configured network I suppose, letting all UDP just go through.
Apparently it's a common thing and I wasn't just imagining that I was auto-connecting to hospital wifi with randomized mac without getting bugged or blocked.
Some people bypass paid wifi services
>>
Any reason not to put my home IP on a single letter subdomain of my personal domain? Easy to enumerate for DNS Dumpster and such tools, yes, but if my stuff is secure there should be no downsides, right? I have a few locations and it would be cool to have their IPs (some dynamic) organized in the same manner, instead of relying on freedns.afraid.org and memorizing the numbers (not that it's difficult for static IP).
>>
>>82639420
Look into ddns routers.
Let's you have a endpoint to point your domain too.
I ran a mail server this way and it worked great.
My isp doesn't block port 25 though
>>
>>82643005
Whenever I get paranoid about my home IP I check shodan and see what's visible.
Having a subdomain point to you home isn't anymore dangerous than having a public ip with open ports. Especially if DNSdumpster can't find your subdomain.
>>
>migrated my network to tailscale
>it just werks

I fucking love it. I will shill it to /hsg/ until the end of time.
>>
>>82639210
yes but you'll need a vps and will really need to stay on top of security updates
and for gods sake, lock your ssh right down, use strong passwords, strict iptables rules, fail2ban, and pentest to ensure that you haven't forgotten anything
i've used zentyal and opendkim for years and still worry that some skiddie is going to wreck my shit
>>82639272
i used iscsi out of freenas when i ran an esxi cluster but the whole thing was overkill and i've cut it back a lot
do whatever you like and make iterative improvements as you gain experience and identify bottlenecks
just ensure that your backups and documentation ia good
>>82640939
virtualization on truenas score isn't great but it's usable providing that you don't need pci passthrough or top tier performance
scale is rebased on debian and uses libvirtd so things should be much better but it's still in beta
>>
File: darling_bed.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>82639210
https://privacytools.io/providers/email/#selfhosting
>>
how stupid would be to use external USB (2.5") HDDs for backups, connected to a intel NUC ? I feel like, on one hand, it could be great as a low power NAS/multipurpose server, but OTOH, the USB drives should be even less reliable than normal desktop/laptop drives, since, apart from the fact that HDDs are not too reliable themselves, the USB connection itself would make them even less reliable, for multiple reasons (no SMART, potential USB driver or even cable failure, ...)
>>
>>82643433
Not stupid at all, people do that often, myself included. Make sure the drive has USB 3 interface though.
>the USB drives should be even less reliable
Maybe if you buy trash enclosures or try to power more than one 2.5" HDD off a Pi. I had no issues with 4x WD My Book (3.5") on a NUC-like, no dropping out from the system, etc.
>no SMART
Depends on the controller in enclosure, most non-shit ones have it working. Have fun, it's a good way to start for certain.
>>
>>82643469
yeah, this NUC has 4 USB 3.0 ports. I got 2x 4TB WD Elements that hopefully won't die on me too soon... no idea if these support SMART, though.
I plan on installing some linux distro (maybe a dedicated NAS distro) and using it for storing my stuff plus some 4 streams from security cameras (should be 2MB/s total at most).
>>
>>82643433
also, any suggestions on good distros for a custom NAS?

>>82643469
>>82643625
forgot to mention: thanks m8
>>
>>82643625
>no idea if these support SMART
They should. Keep in mind 2.5" WD externals usually have soldered USB adapter, while on 3.5" it's detachable - might become an issue if the enclosure dies but drive doesn't.
>>
>>82643652
I think it's usually OpenMediaVault or TrueNAS Scale if you want GUI, Debian or Ubuntu Server if you don't mind setting up things on your own.
>>
>>82643656
>They should
just checked another 1TB drive I've had for a while, and yes, it does support SMART. nice.

>Keep in mind 2.5" WD externals usually have soldered USB adapter
yeah, I know. I did some research and found about that, which is why I'll use them through USB in RAID 0. the NUC it's small and only supports one drive, the NUC will have its own internal SSD anyway

>>82643676
no need for GUI but still would be nice to have something that comes with multiple tools preinstalled, some niceties and shit. a web interface would be good.
>>
>>82643745
>RAID 0
I'm just going to assume you meant RAID 1.
As for distro choice, OMV and TrueNAS have the web UIs but they aren't that much necessary in my opinion, aside from maybe initial setup, but that's still ez pz doable via terminal.
>install OS
>configure data drives
>install services (perhaps using Docker/Podman)
>update OS and services once in a while
You could always try those distros and something classic in VMs beforehand to see which one works best for you.
>>
>>82643798
>I'm just going to assume you meant RAID 1.
yeah, RAID 1 lel

>>82643798
>OMV and TrueNAS
will evaluate them, thanks.

>>82643798
>>configure data drives
>>install services (perhaps using Docker/Podman)
honestly I don't know how to setup a drive for RAID. maybe this would be a good time for learning about storage management under linux, but otoh it could be risky...
and speaking of which, I just realized I don't even know what FS to use. I've read about them in the past, and from that I know that ALL of them have their pros and cons...
on another topic: I also worry about security of my data and of that NAS. guess I'll have to look for info on encryption and stuff also...

quite a lot to learn for a simple NAS lol
>>
>>82643872
>quite a lot to learn for a simple NAS lol
That's part of the fun, actually. Premade distros just make some of the choices for you - it's fine to start there and switch to something else if you find a reason to do so.
>>
>>82643933
>That's part of the fun
sure. only problem is that I have so much stuff to do and so many little details to think about... lel. but I'll do this anyway.
thanks for the advice
>>
>>82643991
Well, there's a wiki page about home servers, which was always linked in sticky that OP forgot this time: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server
Pretty much goes through all things you should consider, might be a lot to read but I really like it.
>>
File: 1395115274493.jpg (26 KB, 288x265)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
So I got out of CGNAT hell, but still couldn't forward ports. After breaking my head over it for a week I figured it out. For some reason UPnP is bonked on my router. It shows that it forwards the ports but it doesn't actually do that. When I manually forwarded the ports it started working.

Is there any decent router that supports L2TP Wan connection?
>>
What security implications are there for hosting Minecraft servers? The only two steps I take are whitelisting (within Minecraft) the usernames that join, and running Minecraft as its own Linux user. But that's all I do. The domain isn't published publicly but anyone who portscans me can find it.

Have there been exploits in Minecraft that allow people connected to the server to take over the host?

Are Minecraft connections encrypted? Does it use TLS?

Any other steps I should consider taking, besides hiding it behind a VPN?
>>
>>82644225
Turn off upno all together please.
>>
>>82644309
Just put your minecraft server in its own little vlan and away from everything else on your internal network and you'll be alright. Worse that could happen is it turns Into a ddos botnet.
>>
I'm wanting to update my freenas 11.3 boxes to truenas 12. I haven't got a complicated setup, I just want my plex jail to survive if possible. I have all data backed up on another freenas box that will also need updating later. Anything I should look out for? Is it advised to go straight to the latest truenas build from 11.3-u5?
>>
>>82646137
export your settings first (it's literally just a tar or freenas-v1.db and pwenc_secret from /data so you can script this and add a cron job for ongoing dr purposes) in case anything goes wrong
i've never had a problem with vms when upgrading but with jails ymmv
i think upgrading through the built-in updater could be a long and tedious process, so consider clean installing the latest version and restoring your settings
>>
>>82646448
>export your settings first
This has been standard procedure for a while, it wouldn't be the first time I had to roll back to a previous version.
I'm planning to set a day aside just in case because I fucking know if I think it's a one hour job something will crop up and take me hours to fix.
>i think upgrading through the built-in updater could be a long and tedious process, so consider clean installing the latest version and restoring your settings
I don't think it's ever taken my server longers than 20minutes to upgrade, even major releases plus I like the option of having previous snapshots available until I'm sure everything works.
>>
What's a good self-hosting container/app for hosting text? Preferably in markdown.

I want something like pastebin that I can self-host. I don't want privatebin though because the URLs look like shit.
>>
>>82644225
You should be port forwarding them all manually and turning off UPnP anyway.
>>
>>82644225
>UPnP
cringe
>>
>>82644022
oh, nice. thanks a lot m8
>>
>>82644225
UPnP is basically "let any device in your LAN be connected from Internet if it desires so", so like the other anons said it's a terrible security practice. If necessary for some game clients or whatever, I'd at least restrict the devices allowed to request UPnP forwarding to the PC/console.
>>
>>82643225
>i used iscsi out of freenas when i ran an esxi cluster but the whole thing was overkill and i've cut it back a lot
>do whatever you like and make iterative improvements as you gain experience and identify bottlenecks
>just ensure that your backups and documentation ia good
I see what you mean by overkill, I'm mostly trying to imitate production environments from work (junior linux sysadmin) for learning/tinkering. SUSE Leap instead of SLES for the distro. LDAP, certificate management, monitoring software with dashboards, etc. Only one server will have connection to the internet, and it will be a repo mirror for all the other servers to get their updates.
I believe setting up an imitation full enterprise stack will help me learn my work stuff faster, but I don't have 20k+ to build a real one. So I'm cutting corners where I can, I just think skipping scsi routing is removing a lot of learning potential.
Agree 100% on the documentation front. I'm building an entire dokuwiki dedicated to it. And backups will be 3-2-1 if I can find a second site to host.
>>
Looking into poweredge server (r510 mainly)

If I get one with 8 or 12 x 3.5" bays will they directly support SATA drives ? Do I need an HBA adapter ? How are the hot swap connectors working ?

Also what kind of power consumption / noise can I expect when idling ?
>>
>>82650952
>will they directly support SATA drives
Yes
>Do I need an HBA adapter
No
>How are the hot swap connectors working
What?
>what kind of power consumption / noise can I expect when idling
High and high
>>
>>82650988
well how are sata HDDs connected to the mobo ?
most r510 online have h700 but that's a RAID controller and I need direct access to the disks

If the caddie are connected to that HBA I will have to get another one right ?

Also high is not very precise
>>
What are those retarded netflix ripoffs to set up at home? You guys know any of that?

I'm about to use a netbook, that i have laying around, to set up my home server, mainly for file storage and video streaming, now i want to ask, what else can i do with a homeserver?
>>
>>82651448
You mean jellyfin/ plex/ sonarr/radarr?
>>
>>82651455
Yes! Thanks, i didnt know what to search for
Now, what other cool stuff i can do with my server?
>>
>>82651193
>If the caddie are connected to that HBA I will have to get another one right ?
No. Why would you?
>>
>>82651645
I am having an hard time understanding how the drives are physically connected to the motherboard ?

If they do not use a raid card why do they sell r510 with h700 raid card ?
>>
>>82651847
Just to be clear, you're aware that SATA drives connect just fine to SAS ports, right? SAS is just SATA plus some optional pins.
>>
>>82651499
It's in the OP dude, third link. At least put in the bare minimum amount of effort. There's a lot of shit you can do.
>>
>>82651937
Yes I am aware of that but that does not explain how the SAS ports are connected to the mobo
>>
Say I have one server that runs a cronjob every 30 minutes that runs a script with about 5 other scripts in it. I now need after it is done with the first script to connect to another server, start a script there and disconnect. Is there a clean way to do this? My naive thinking tells me to just ssh in and run it on a detached screen or something.

Bonus points if there is a way to "join" the script, making the first server wait at some point(i.e. before running the 4th script) until the second server finished. Ultra mega bonus points if there is a way to scale this to more servers.

My parallel and distributed systems class only covered parallel systems and I just realized that.
>>
probably a stupid question.
But how does filerun work exactly that it uses a filerun domain to send shit to and from my server without a reverse proxy?
I want to use it for conveniently linking people files and having them send me stuff without them having to download resilo. And I don't mind settings up a reverse proxy to do so.
But filerun has it built in using their domain and it makes me wary.
>>
>>82653358
>has it built in using their domain
What? I just used it with my own domain and haproxy.
>>
Is there a list like awesome-selfhosted, but for non-web services/software? I'm sure there's plenty of cool things that I don't know I want to run yet.
>>
File: 1626749630928.jpg (115 KB, 1163x1200)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>82639184
created(?) an ftp server in my host A , can access the folder if I type in browser(host A):
>ftp://ip_address
get asked for username and password and then can see the files.
The problem comes when I try to connect from host B(a device in the same network?), It returns connection time out when attempting connection.

I can ping host B from host A and the other way around too, so I assume they are are both in the same network.
what do I have to change in order to acces the ftp server from host B or any other host in the LAN?
followed this tutorial till the "connect over the internet" part.
>https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/setup-ftp-server-windows-10-87-locally-internet.html
>>
>>82651193
>>82651847
>>82652252
PERC H700 connects to the backplane of the R510
It's RAID, you don't want it, you could replace it with a card that supports IT mode, but you would be better off forgetting about the R510 all together because it's literal ewaste
If you're that poor then stick with a sbc or desktop
>>82650988
>>82651645
>>82651937
You're retarded
>>
test
>>
if I have occasional power outages, what's the fastest filesystem I should use for a media server? I only have one drive.
>>
File: 20190430_015753.jpg (910 KB, 1920x1080)
910 KB
910 KB JPG
>>82641846
other anon is right, minecraft servers need 3GHz minimum, any less and they start dropping ticks, like it takes 160 ticks to grow a plant or whatever
here's mine, built the thing and then every time minecraft updates itself on my computer I have to reinstall the server's whole os because I'm a pleb who can't figure out how to update, so it sits in my rack unused
>>
>>82639184
nigger cable management fuck that cunt
>>
>>82652278
single synchronous
ssh -t user@host /path/to/script

multi synchronous
servers=(host1 host2 host3)
for server in ${servers[@]}; do
ssh -t user@$server /path/to/script
done

multi async (i generally use wait -n in a loop so i can do stuff with the exited pid while waiting for its siblings)
servers=(host1 host2 host3)
pids=()
for server in ${servers[@]}; do
ssh -t user@$server /path/to/script &
pids+=($!)
done
wait -f ${pids[@]}
>>
>>82657309
jesus fucking christ are you not running mineOS? retard
>>
File: file.png (393 KB, 800x453)
393 KB
393 KB PNG
>>82640308
I feel so bad that I missed a $80 bid on a 7060 Optiplex Micro (USB-C front) with 256GB NVMe drive in it.
>>
File: IMG_20210331_065213543.jpg (2.34 MB, 4032x3024)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
>>82639184
at the moment i'm using an external HDD as my boot drive due to only having 4 sata ports.

i've currently got an i5 4460 and h81 board.
as i see it, my options are to upgrade to a higher end board or sell the whole thing and grab a workstation motherboard bundle from ebay.

any recs?
>>
>>82657816
>$80
That's good, usually they go for $300 in my country.
>>82657921
Maybe add an HBA card instead?
>>
bump
>>
Running OMV5 in VirtualBox and it's pretty cozy. I just wish it could run separately as a different user or something. I'm using the host as my daily driver desktop system and I've been testing Steam+Proton, so when something crashes badly enough I have to log out which kills my VM.
>>
>>82659266
You could move to KVM with libvirt - this way the VMs will be independent from your desktop session. Or, you could just move the services to containers on host, why have the overhead of a VM in the first place.
>>
>>82659266
i used pihole before on Vbox works perfectly without graphics

>>82657921
>not using ssd
just get one dude they are cheap now
>>
>>82656924
Thx for this answer, What is wrong with the r510 (other than it is 11 years old ?) what should I get instead ?

They are pretty cheap and I just need a server for storage + a few vms, low traffic kind

With only one 40w CPU and 1.35v ram I figured it wont consume that much power on idle (250 maybe ?)
>>
Recomend me a cheap device, it doesnt have to be really powerfull, an old laptop would actually be pretty good because i fucked up mine (an old notebook serving)

What should i look for? Some kind of dell? I'm pretty poor rn so sub 200€ wpuld be great
>>
>>82661185
They are fine. You can pull a CPU if you want and use bios options to lower power consumption but even then they really arent too bad. You really just want to put it somewhere where the heat and noise can be managed, but 250w would be with things running not idle.
>>
>>82661185
>it wont consume that much power on idle (250 maybe ?)
250W would be a ridiculous amount of power for idle usage like a small HPS grow light sort of amount of power, and old xeons do be like that
They're also loud as fuck, "b-but it will go in a cupboard" I hear you say, yeah now you need to get rid of the heat too
Just don't buy ewaste, I guarantee your needs would be met with any modern oem desktop, or a sbc
>>82661283
t. ewaste salesman
>>
>>82661331
Alright I get your point

Right now I already have an SBC (odroid HC4 with btrfs raid 1) But I need to expand and I just can't...

Are they any servers equivalent to an r510 but with less heat/power consumption/noise ?

If I go with a different SBC what I am supposed to do ? Connect my drives with usb3 ? Looks kind of weird and pricey (bays and all)
>>
>>82661626
Maybe some highish core count build with used consumer parts?
>>
>>82639184
I always found the idea of being able to stream a 4k hdmi output from a server in another room anywhere in the house for gaming porpoises pretty cool. VNC and other software solutions seem to be too high of latency though.
What device could I use to capture and convert the hdmi/displayport input and send it over ethernet with the lowest possible latency?
>>
>>82662962
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+ethernet+4k
>>
>>82639184
Does anyone has a good schematic or idea for a low powered JBOD? Wanna hook up like 50 HDDs in an array with little power usage and keep it online. Also any luck with no frills colocation providers?
>>
Has anyone setup synapse/element with either authelia or authentik?
I'm having a hard time getting authentik to work and would appreciate a guide
>>
>>82639184
what is the best web based mongodb manager?
>>
File: 20210723_123511.jpg (1022 KB, 1080x1920)
1022 KB
1022 KB JPG
comfy plebstack coming through
>>
Someone please shill me on wireguard. I have Emby configured with SSL, and my own port forwarded router bridged to a cucked ISP router. Everything works. 1080p Emby and a LAMP environment are all Im going to be setting up. Why would I need a WG VPN? Wouldnt that destroy my network speeds when playing 1080p videos? Doesnt the SSL I set up protect my traffic?
>>
>>82665290
I tried to use wireguard to reverse proxy traffic, but i ended up using hamachi instead because i couldn't get it to work
>>
I need a router, bonus points if it's rack mountable.

I'm thinking of getting Dream Machine (not the pro since I don't need the other feature) since it has a nice UI. But Ubiquiti has a lot of bad rep.

What do you guys recommend?
>>
>>82656107
without knowing anything about your setup
>make sure firewall is letting ftp ports communicate with local network
>make sure the server is listening on address 0.0.0.0 (if it's listening on 127.0.0.1, only connections from the same host can reach it)
>could be AV
could also be a firewall in the middle blocking traffic, but that's unlikely if you're on a home network
>>
currently have
unraid
x570 board
16gb 3200
want to get a new cpu for it. i data horde and run a windows 10 vm with gpu passthrough for gaming over network
what cpu should i upgrade to?
do i go big and get a 5950x or is there something cheaper that would be just as good?
>>
>>82665290
You might not want Emby and LAMP stack to be always exposed to anyone who correctly guesses the domain/IP+port combination. I use it to avoid exposing SSH of my server, Radarr, Sonarr, etc. - things that only I use, plus I connect to other devices in my LAN while being remote this way. Public facing services (Jellyfin, Nextcloud) are just reverse proxied through haproxy checking for correct domain names.
>>82666174
>wireguard
>reverse proxy
Uh, that's not the right tool for this job anon.
>>82666332
Build your own/Chinese boxes with i3/cheap real server + OPNsense. Nice UI and it just works.
>>
>>82666563
internet -> VPS -> VPN -> LAN

vps = nginx reverse proxy
vpn = wireguard / hamachi on vps
lan = my home network server

does it not work anon?
https://lexpublicus.com/
>>
>>82666332
I use a mikrotik rb4011, it runs great and can easily handle my symmetric gigabit connection on IPv6 (I had an edgerouter 4 before it). Also has rack mounting available. But it has a steep learning curve compared to ubnt.
As much as I'd love to go full Tik in my network, their wifi stuff is lacking, so I have secondhand ruckus r510s, which blows unifi out of the water
I've heard good things about Aruba for wifi
>Ubiquiti has a lot of bad rep
One of my coworkers had the udmp, he ditched it because for basically any non trivial setups, updates deleting or breaking stuff is disappointingly common. And that was before the breach and attempted coverup.
>>
I have a proxmox setup with a network adapter passed into an OPNSense VM. The issue is I can't access the OPNSense IP from proxmox and thus can't connect to the internet.

Setup is like this:
Proxmox: 192.168.1.100 -> connected to network switch
OPNSense: 192.168.1.1 -> connected to the internet and the network switch

Proxmox can ping any server in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet except 192.168.1.1. All other servers I have running have no issue connecting to OPNSense.

ip route:
root@pve-1:~# ip route
default via 192.168.1.1 dev vmbr0 onlink
10.0.0.0/24 dev ibp4s0v0 proto kernel scope link src 10.0.0.2
10.0.1.0/24 via 10.0.1.1 dev vmbr1
192.168.1.0/24 dev vmbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.100

The 10.0.0.0/16 subnet is infiniband and I have no issues with it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. This issue started months ago and I haven't been able to update since.
>>
What is it with boomers and patch cord spaghetti?
>>
>>82664597
>C4510r turned into a cabinet
neat
>>
what is better for a home server, ryzen 7 1700 vs ryzen 3 3200?
I want to host plex, kodi, omv, and stuff like that.
I have a dedicated gpu for the 1700, and can get one or the other for free
>>
>>82667192
>>
>>82661244

ThinkChad
>>
>>82666607
Okay, this now makes sense, I used something like this for a while but had miserable experience streaming video through it.
>>82667192
Hi, I have the 1700. It's cool, lots of cores are nice if you want to e.g. temporarily isolate a few of them for a gaming VM, software encoding works alright with x265 -> x264 transcodes, but beware the https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683 issue.
>>
Is it worth to fix an old third gen i3 laptop with a broken keyboard ($18) or should I buy a pi4? I want a low powered server for some basic stuff like adblocking and jellyfin (for now)
>>
>>82668798
just plug in a usb keyboard and set up ssh on the laptop and then spend the $18 towards the pi 4
>>
>>82666457
sounds like a fun project anon.
far too technical for me with graphics cards, but it could be something worth the monetary cost if you enjoy it
>>
>>82639210
Mail in a box on a vps is probably the most sustainable 'self'-hosted solution.
>>
>>82639272
>one 2u server with 6 SAS drives
>one 1u drive chassis with 4 SAS drives connected via external cable
>server running proxmox and the drives in zfs pools
>create new drive in proxmox for each guest
>wa la
>>
>>82651193
dells are a fucking pain in my asshole. the dell PERCs were locked to the backplane slot in my r710 and you literally cannot put a non-dell HBA in that slot, you have to put it in one of the expansion pcie slots instead. plus when you start putting in non-dell hardware, the fans tend to go fucking insane. and idrac? fucking pain
>>
File: file.png (68 KB, 762x283)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
:3

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.