[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why shouldn't I buy LG gram?
>macbook M1 tier battery life
>x86-64
>upgradable enough for the dimensions
>>
File: 20200322_164050.jpg (3.13 MB, 4032x3024)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
>>82023571
Get a SP7 if you need a thin device.
>>
>>82023571
>2.43 Kilograms
good if you intend to use it as a blunt weapon to kill somebody with I suppose
>>
>>82023628
It is 2.43 lbs, or somewhere about 1 kilo I recon. The 15 inch one
>>
>>82023760
it says 1.9 kg for the 15" but assuming it's actually less the only reason you wouldn't buy it is because the intel cpu will scorch your balls
if you're okay with that—go for it
>>
>>82023813
I had enough of weird issues with AMD CPUs like freezes so I would bite the bullet and go for intel. 20% performance difference dont matter.
>>
>>82023571
flimsy piece of garbage that'll break in your hand in 2 years
>>
>>82024295
You probably meant zenbook or idk, swift acer or HP something
>>
Just buy macbook
>>
>>82023571
>upgradable enough for the dimensions
what's with you faggots and (((Upgrading))) everything?
>>
>>82024295
>>82025511
iTards
>>
>>82023571
>that trackpad
kek
>>
>>82025621
((Upgrading)) is caused by bloatware, which forces you to have more RAM (hello Firefox), more cores, more storage (hello Windows updates).
If your laptop has two m.2 slots and RAM slot, this is easy enough to buy a stick of RAM and M.2 stick and extend life of that laptop more.
If it is soldered, well... Are you comfortable with hot air? Can you get RAM chips? etc. Which makes it "uuuhh... fuck that 2014 macbook air, 4 gigs of ram aint enough ay need new machine".
>>82025723
Idk, seems OK to me. Not macbook tier, but good enough i recon.
>>
>>82025767
>((Upgrading)) is caused by bloatware, which forces you to have more RAM (hello Firefox), more cores, more storage (hello Windows updates)

Are you implying that you are forced to upgrade because you use nothing but bloatware? It sounds like the root cause of all of your issues is (You). Use better software and stop falling for memes. Also there's no excuse to run of storage in the year 2021 of the on-going Julius Caesar larp. Use cloud storage ya dingus
>>
>>82025881
1. Cloud is unacceptable as cheapest SSD is 500 mbyte/s and fastest internet you can usually get is 1 gigabit, or 125 mbyte/s
2. Bloat is happening everywhere. Chrome, Firefox, fucking Windows, Visual Studio, etc etc etc. You can't just pick software that is not bloat, as who fucking needs VB6.0 app in 2021
>>
>>82023571
>x86-64
What are you doing on a thin and light that you can honestly say you N E E D x86 for?

Spoiler: you dont, this is literally what RISC was built for
>>
>>82023571
>horrible multi-core scores
>worse screen than macbooks
>worse thermals than a fanless macbook air
>shit-tier trackpad
just get a thinkpad, whats the point of going that thin if you're just gonna get btfo by itoddlers
>>
>>82023571
its not M1
>>
I've been thinking of getting this too, OP, but I keep seeing that they majorly gimp the performance to keep it the noise and temps in check. It really underperformed compared to, say, the XPS 13 and that's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.
>>
>>82023571
I upgrade my laptops every 3 years, experience with Dell, Sony, Lenovo. The LG Gram has been by far the most enjoyable laptop I've owned.

Bought the my first one in early 2019.
Bought one for my partner in early 2020.
Going to buy a new one for me early next year.

Pros
I's a 17" High Res screen, in a 15" body.
It weighs in at 2.95 lbs.
The boot time from pressing the on button (with built in fingerprint reader) is 13 seconds. That blows me away.
It's fast enough, it has 16G of memory and a 512 M2 drive.
It's easy to service and there's a 2nd M2 spot.
Battery life was stellar, for the first year, never carried a charger and lasted over 10 hours.
Year 2.5, it gets 8hrs +/- which is still fine.

Cons
It isn't a gaming PC, though we play fortnite on it all the time.
The case is some type of nano fiber that's supposed to be metal but feels like plastic.
The 16G memory is shared.
-One thing I don't like is the touchpad is placed in the middle of the laptop and not in the middle of the space bar. So when cranking on it, it highlights a random section and I delete the text. Moving to a wireless mouse and turning off the touchpad resolved this.
You should buy it from an outlet like Costco, assuming there is one by you. They double the warranty from 1 year to 2. If you use the Costco credit card, it goes from 2 to 4.
>>
>>82023579
>fanless
>>
>>82023571
It looks dope man. I'd get the 16.
>>
>>82026082
>thinkpad
Thinkpads have absolute dogshit screens that belong to $200 celeron laptops.
This one at least has 100% sRGB coverage and 900:1 contrast.
Sure it is fhd, not retina which kinda sucks.
>worse thermals than a fanless macbook air
It has ARM with low power cores and high performance cores, so comparison is not exactly fair.
>horrible multi-core scores
Would be interesting to compare this to like idk, intel based macbooks.
>>
>>82026082
-Scores are meaningless for typical day to day use. Makes a difference on a gaming PC or one for graphics but surfing the web and typing papers it doesn't matter.
-I like the mac book screen, the screen on the 17" LG is excellent. Watch high res videos without issue. And I save a $1000 by not buying the mac.
-I can watch video for hours and the fan doesn't even kick on. Playing fortnite gets the fan going on low after a while but nothing like the lenovo I owned.
-The touchpad is fine, the location sucks, but if you play games or really use a laptop you're going to use a wireless mouse.
Nothing wrong with what you're recommending but it doesn't change the Gram is an awesome laptop.
>>
Just buy a Surface laptop. Light. Great keyboard. Long battery life. 2:3
>>
>>82026134
If it's low heat enough to do it then fanless is fine.
>>
>>82026110
I wonder if you can, idk, change fan curve or smth to get those turbo speeds back.
Not something I'd like to try on a new $1000+ machine tho.
>>82026125
Interesting
>>
>>82023579
Surface fucking sucks. If it gets hot the display starts to turn on and off. After 3 years of use you have less than 3 hours battery life its fucking garbage.
>>
>>82026670
I have 1h of battery life on my MacBook Pro after 3 years of use, whats your point?
>>
>>82026670
>>82026685
I get 30 minutes battery life on my LG gram after 2 years of use. Avoid like the plague.
>>
>>82023571
Build quality is ass. That's the sacrifice for lower weight. Other than that, it's not a bad laptop I guess
>>
>>82023571
Actually nice laptops. They could perform better for the price and the trackpad should be centered. LG should make a performance line instead of portability.
>>
>>82026740
Oh, so you cooked the lithium too? I feel you, bro.
>>
>>82026082
>thinkpad
Ah yes, overpriced ordinary shit laptops with eye cancer displays
>>
>>82026184
Nice laptop, the only downside is retarded keyboard placement. I fucking hate numpads.
>>
>>82023571
Because it's no thinkpad
>>
>>82026685
Wtf did you do to that poor macbook?
>>82026740
Wtf did you do to that poor LG?
>>82026778
Idk. All other laptops seem to be made out of plastic wrapped with aluminium foil. This seems to be made out of metal, though not as thick as, idk, original macbook air.
>>82028155
Fuck thinkpads. Better get a MacBook. At least you get a nice screen OOTB. And now you even get revolutionary phone CPU
>>
>>82023571
>>macbook M1 tier battery life
with windows only using their bloatware on a good day, the second you put a distro in that you will cut the battery life in less than half of what they claim now. Just buy an m1 and not a downgraded copycat
>>
>>82026685
you either plugged it 24/7 for 3 years OR you're not using mac os. I'm still getting 4-5h from a MBP I've used 8-10 hours a day since 2015 and I would get more if I would format it once (never had to)
>>
>>82029539
This will be the ultimate way to prove Linux is a piece of shit. Because I'm pretty sure I'd have to turn off different hubs and ports and such to get windows power consumption.
>>
>>82029539
>>82029654
Nice meme. I consistently get way better battery life on Noobuntu with tlp than on Windows 10, even in power saving mode.
>>
>>82029771
not a meme ofc, most likely you get that with a notebook that didn't come with windows 10 installed and/or not having a dedicated GPU nor any features besides the basic ones
>>
>>82029771
It really depends on hardware.
MacBook was getting way better battery life on windows than on windows.
My current throwaway laptop just doesnt last on windows or linux
>>82029791
dGPU is haram in laptops. Unless, it is real deal with thunderbolt enclosure
>>
>>82025621
You wouldn't believe what I did a couple weeks ago iToddler.
Okay so I bought a T490 2 years ago with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD, yeah dumb right? But a couple weeks ago I bought a 16GB stick and a 1TB Evo 870 SSD, upgraded my laptop and now it's running like mercury.

Could you do that? No.
>>
>>82030130
nah but nvme on macbooks are 10x faster than your shitty ssd, also, 16GB of ram is the bare minimum since 2018 so wtf are you arguing on? bragging that you cant afford mbps?
>>
>>82030163
The nvme on your Mac isn't better than a 970 or 980 also I have 24 GB ram and the whole point I'm making is that I can upgrade. And I can upgrade without a corporation holding my hand.
>>
>>82030130
enjoy ur shitty eye cancer display
>>
>>82030130
He can do it, but it would require soldering and getting specific RAM chips, not just common ramstick.
>>82030163
It was cool in 2014, but now every laptop has nvme m.2 which allows you get same speed as your intel mac. If you get a fast SSD of course.
Plus you don't always need real fast SSD, one can be good nvme with Windows on it, other can be cheapo slow TLC on 1 tb sata.

Bragging about not having slots is pretty dumb. And LG laptops kinda prove that you can actually have some upgradability even on thin laptops...
>>
>>82025709
have sex
>>
>>82030285
>Plus you don't always need real fast SSD, one can be good nvme with Windows on it, other can be cheapo slow TLC on 1 tb sata.
You rarely need one. Ironically the only thing most people do that it helps with is the swap file when your 8GB ram runs out.
>>
>>82030420
>You rarely need one
Store shit on it?
>>
>>82030486
Hes talking about for speed. For most people a HDD would be fine for day to day
>>
>>82030567
Um no. Windows 10 doesn't work on HDD at all. It is unacceptably slow. Especially in laptops where u have 2,5 inch 5400 rpm shit drives
>>
>>82030587
What are you talking about. Most people just need chrome to run facebook and their pics of little jimmy and sally. A HDD while yes slow, unacceptably slow for you, it will still work just fine.
>>
>>82023579
FUCK YOU YOU STUPID FUCKING SHILL THE SP7 WAS THE REASON THAT I SWITCHED TO LINUX AS SOON AS YOU TRY TO DO MORE THAN BROWSING THE WEB THE SCREEN BLACKS OUT AND YOU NEED TO RESTART IT PLUS IT GETS SCRACHED BY THE FUCKING AIR
>>
>>82023571
>No RG-45
Useless
>>
numpad
reflective display
soldered RAM

next.
>>
>>82030745
It comes with USB-C dongle
>>82030622
It is just unacceptably slow and with current SSD prices is just unacceptable on laptops. Better have 256 sata ssd than 1tb hdd they put in all cheap laptops
>>82030750
Older ones had half-soldered ram. Newer ones are not.
>>
>>82030778
Dongles for everything. No thanks, I want to connect my Console cable directly
>>
>>82023813
no its 1.17 kg
very light weight
>>
>>82030868
At least they have included the USBC ethernet u know.
>>
>>82030622
I don't know many elementary school kids and I don't know any HS school kids who don't do Office work on their laptops. You literally need an SSD for using Windows 10 or else it's unusable.
>>
>fan go brrrrrrr
m1 is the only choice now
>>
>>82023571
I doesn't have MacOS
>>
Can someone please explain the appeal of premium priced Windows laptops now that the M1 Macbook Air/Pro exist?

The advantages of using Windows are
>Games
These laptops have integrated graphics so no games. Literally the biggest reason to use Windows. There is NO point in getting a Windows laptop if you are getting a Tiger Lake with integrated graphics. Gaming on a 144hz display is the biggest advantage Windows laptops have over Macs and the main reason why x86 will still be relevant for now.

>Cheap prices
These laptops cost just as much as a Macbook Air if not more. If you want a premium thin and light laptop, just get a fucking Mac you faggot. Windows laptops are still there for poorfags but a LG Gram isn't a poorfag laptop.

>Versatility
These are just regular clamshell laptops with the same screen resolution as the Macbook Air/Pro. No 4K, No OLED, No 2-in-1 design. But they still have an absolute garbage trackpad that Apple BTFO them with.

Laptops like the LG Gram/Thinkpad X1 Carbon/Dell XPS/Surface Laptop 4 offer NOTHING over a Macbook Air because they try too hard to copy Apple and not playing into Windows' strengths. Fuck the laptop industry for going out of their way to make their laptops Macbook clones so the moment Apple BTFO the industry with the M1, they all became obsolete.
>>
>>82031894
cont.

>but muh Loonix

macOS is the final redpill.

If you want a professional Unix environment that Just Works, you need macOS.

Nobody in the real world gives a shit about your riced loonix DE. People have actual work to do. Be glad there's someone actually making the money for your NEETbux.

macOS
>runs stable for years without a restart needed
>has millions of programs available written for it
>these programs all work
>has a well organized appstore
>is more secure than loonix or windows
>gets used by chads and other smart people

Loonix
>runs extremely unstable and needs a several restarts per day
>has a worldwide userbase of 5 people (that happen to spam /g/
>is generally PROVEN to be a tranny loonixOS since only trannys and gays use this non working shit
>no working programs available
>has no app store (that actually works
>has security flaws that don't get fixed since years
>has a shit ton of other issues that make it obsolete no matter what
>gets used by neets, npc's, gays, trannys, sjw's, mommy-basement dwellers and other punkass and poorfag lowlifes
>>
>>82023571
pros
>you can upgrade the ram and hard drive
>has a good selection of ports
cons
>worse screen than competitors
>worse thermals than competitors
>priced higher than competitors
>>
>>82031894
>Can someone please explain the appeal of premium priced Windows laptops now that the M1 Macbook Air/Pro exist?
Non-soldered SSD, x86-64, less probability of getting robbed as it doesnt have apple logo.
If compared to Intel macbooks, they don't run as hot and CPUs are clockd way closer to nominal frequency.
>>82031957
Final redpill is Windows. Everyone uses it, not only gay hipster faggots and gentoo neets.
macOS is very unstable. How unstable? Fucking Linux is more stable.
Idk, maybe M1 macs dont have stability issues, kernel panics, etc when suddenly you use swap, but idk.
>has a well organized appstore
Imagine fucking paying for apps. When I used mac, 90% of apps were either installed via copying .app folder or package installer. Only app i got from apple was xcode.
Just way more convenient to drag-drop apps from third party. Not as convenient as typing "install shit i want" in terminal, but whatever.
>gets used by neets, npc's, gays, trannys, sjw's, mommy-basement dwellers and other punkass and poorfag lowlifes
I think macs are pretty used mainly by SJW filth, as mac is a synonym to "snowflake rare PC" (while in reality it is not and some Dell XPS Gram would be way more snowflake as 90% of people dont see reason to buy a windows laptop when they have enough money to buy apple)

As for M1 mac, it is an interesting machine. But I would not buy it, as it is their first ARM laptop, and ARM in laptop is a new concept, and other companies like Microsoft have failed at making ARM laptops a thing. I mean, if I buy one, I can't install Windows 10 ARM (Apple provides no bootcamp) and I would have to use some VM like Paralllels which isnt as good as running shit natively. Or even worse use Linux, which would definitely suck, as Apple isn't Intel or AMD who would patch kernel eventually to work with their shit, so it has to be done by copying shit from apple's kernel (which is FOSS I think, but idk). So I'm stuck with fagOS, and like idk, I dont like fagOS.
>>
>>82032655
>macOS is very unstable. How unstable? Fucking Linux is more stable.
What? That's fuckng wrong lmao I'm using M1 Macbook Air for a month and I've never encountered any serious bug. macOS is far more stable than Windows.
>think macs are pretty used mainly by SJW filth
Also open source community is full of SJW's, just reminder Rust and Firefox. Fedora and Debian devs tried to cancel Stallman because they claimed RMS is "transphobic". SJWs are literally everywhere.
>>
>>82032795
>What? That's fuckng wrong lmao
I don't know, but on 2014 MBA I had some issues in 10.9, 10.10 I think, where like if you accidentally start using swap (like idk, it is pretty easy to exhaust 4 gigs of RAM) it causes kernel panic. So I switched to Linux and it was pretty stable, except broadcom WiFi.
>SJWs are literally everywhere.
True.
Sometimes I wonder if those Rust/Firefox ppl are actually sent by Microsoft and such to make FOSS shit. Like idk, if you compare Firefox, to even fucking safari, a chrome installer, it is pure garbage with memory leaks such. But then u realize they aren't getting paid, so no wonder they are braindead ppl that cant code for shit.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.