[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Read the sticky: >>76759434

>GNU/Linux questions >>>/g/fglt

>Windows questions >>>/g/fwt

>PC building? >>>/g/pcbg

>Programming questions >>>/g/dpt

>Good, cheap, laptops >>>/g/tpg

>Cheap electronics >>>/g/csg

>Server questions >>>/g/hsg

>Buying headphones >>>/g/hpg

How to find/activate any version of Windows?
https://rentry.org/installwindows

Previous Thread >>81994721
>>
if i sent my phone to samsung to repair can they unlock it and see my shit?
>>
File: puffy.gif (55 KB, 1000x650)
55 KB
55 KB GIF
Is there a good reason to use mksh over ksh?
>>
Whenever I push capslock I get this annoying notification, and when looking through google I couldn't figure out how to remove it, so I think it might be caused by third party software. Does anyone recognize this notification? It also pops up whenever I toggle num lock.
>>
why is the discord website (https://discord.com/login) so fucking slow for me?
im running arch with firefox installed and i dont want to install their shitty botnet client
i only have umatrix and ublock origin on my browser (umatrix is set to allow whatever bullshit they send, its not blocking anything on the discord site)
is this a way to keep people from using their browser version? what the fuck
it takes like 5 fucking minutes to load the page and login
it cant be my internet because i can load anything instantaneously, its just this dogshit website that refuses to load for me
what can be causing this?
>>
>>82022513
Anyone know how to export the Chrome browser history for iPad? Just lost 3000+ tabs at once and it ain't the first time either. And before the Sataniaposters come, I got this iPad from a bank promotion and I am resenting every moment of it.
>>
How hard is it to downscale videos? Like if my toaster can't handle certain higher video types or bluerays, could I just down scale it to something that's not as demanding?
>>
Any good passive desktop speakers? Also, I've got subwoofer.
>>
>>82022629
If they can, it's a company secret buried under government secrecy.
>>
How do I rip a DVD if it's a different region to mine?
>>
>>82022629
Believe me yes, but not easily
>>
How do I set up a Tor hidden service?
>>
>>82022513

How do I reverse engineer the following object? I want to take a look how a SU binary works. This is only the start of the lab because the next part involves taking a downloaded internet binary for a arm architecture and reverse engineering that to check it for malware. Anyway, what do I use to decompile this?
/bin/su: setuid ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
>>
File: 1609592085788.gif (1.89 MB, 462x427)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB GIF
Is there any way to see a complete list of all the people that put a certain reaction on a github PR? I suspect that someone is sockpuppeting to inflate the number of thumbs up reactions on certain PRs, but I can't tell because mousing over the reaction emoji only shows a handful of usernames.
>>
>>82023232
those are active speakers.
passive you need an amp for.

but to answer your question, yes there are good passive speakers.
>>
>>82023338
>how do I do my homework
fucking pay attention in class
>>
>>82023338
>Anyway, what do I use to decompile this?
objdump
it's not a fucking .NET binary with reflection built in
>>
>>82022513
Are there people that genuinely don't understand what the fuck the "cloud" is? Of course it's some server or database somewhere, do they imagine the data just floats around in the fucking air like some kind of magic static wifi signal?
>>
I read that in windows you can set it up so that a hard drive that isn't being used will turn off and then spin back up when you try to use it again. I haven't tried it yet but my question is realistically do you think that does anything to help with longevity? Let's say 90% of the time I'm using my computer, and then maybe once or twice a day I'll move some stuff I've downloaded onto the ssd over to the hdd for storage or just to access some video file or whatever is on it. Could I expect a significantly longer lasting drive from not being on as long, or is it more like a diesel engine and it can basically idle forever but the repeated starting and stopping would actually wear it out faster
>>
I have a domain name I use to point at a small media server, so its just domain . name -> my IP address, and then my router redirects all traffic from port 80 and 443 there. Well now I want to host another small media server and dont know how to do this using just the domain name I have. I figured there is some way to do like server . domain . name -> other VM address for getting to it but I don't know how to do this or what to google towards this goal. Any help would be great.
>>
Those of you who organize your books in folders rather than by metadata: what do you do if a book has multiple authors?
>>
how can i see the contents of a user password protected pdf if pdfcrack won't do it for me?
>>
>>82022513
Did anyone else get a Cloudflare error page when they tried to open any thread like a minute ago and why did that happen?
>>
how do u make photoshop cc faster on my gaming laptop I have all specs but It still run like shit
>>
>>82024736
Its a laptop. The only hardware you really control is adding ram/ssd. Try not to run a lot of programs in the background.
>>
should i contribute to open source
>>
File: ssn-boxes-per-letter.png (8 KB, 474x133)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
How the fuck do I make boxes like this in Microsoft word without using tables
Tables are slow as shit to make this and a garbage time waste, there has to be an easier way
>>
File: 1466007456926.jpg (84 KB, 540x509)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Windows 10 question.
So I'm an idiot and have a smiley in my user folder. It's like "Anon :)" Some game launchers now aren't able to run. I tried creating a new account with administrator access and renaming that folder to "Anon", but I wasn't able to sign back in to my main account after doing so. Changed the name back to "Anon :)" and I was able to sign back in.
Does anyone know if it's possible to rename the user folder to resolve conflicts like this? None of the guides I can find online are working.
>>
What is the library used to make DOS textUIs like in write.exe? Looks kinda like curses
>>
>>82025030
did you try changing the name of the "Anon :)" account from the other admin account instead of just manually changing the folder name?
>>
>>82025085
The account name, like when I go to sign in, is Anon Lastname. No symbols. I'm pretty certain the issue is the folder itself, I guess since it's such an important folder, everything references the original path name.
>>
>>82023806
Well more specifically, a "cloud-hosted" thing is technically supposed to be a virtual machine that's being passed around a cluster of a gazillion servers with purpose built CPUs that are specifically designed to do that. Conventional servers that more resemble PCs or a VM on a PC are not "cloud" but when they first started doing that the whole thing was hyped to normies on the mainstream media and they didn't even mention the cluster computing part, so it just turned into a synonym for server.
>>
>>82024020
It certainly helps reduce power consumption and thus heat generation. Also, a hard drive spinning up is basically one moving part, it's not going to wear out faster by starting and stopping.
>>
>>82022629
>can they unlock it and see my shit?
Can they? Yes, absolutely.
Do they? Who knows, but maybe.
>>
>>82024394
Create shortcuts?
>>
>>82022968
ffmpeg or handbrake can do this, but it's going to take time to convert the video to a lower resolution, and if you're doing that with a computer that can't play blurays at full speed already, you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>82024524
give it back tyron
>>
File: 07577e015055b55.jpg (11 KB, 360x360)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>82023257
https://www.amazon.com/region-free-dvd-player/s?k=region+free+dvd+player
>>
>>82024959
Insert > Text Box
>>
>>82025108
>everything references the original path name
You are correct.
>>
>>82025203
If possible, I'd like it to be able to work across multiple OSes, especially Android, as I'm thinking of getting an Android based ereader
>>
>>82022513
What fucking laptop should I buy that is NEW and gets ~16 hours of battery life?
>>
>>82025030
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-client/user-profiles-and-logon/renaming-user-account-not-change-profile-path
>>
I cant into topological sort
>>
I have a line on a lot of 128mb (MB, not GB, Mega Bytes) usb keys. they're free. It's an obvious piece from a lot of shit someone bought at auction and is flipping on craigslist.

Is there anything I can do with dozens of tiny USB keys other than use them as business cards?

Also why is /g/ so fucking terrible tonight?
>>
What is a good tool for detecting duplicate image files? Or a general-use file organizer with a similar function?
>>
>>82025481
Create a raid but thats not worth it
>>
>>82025557
well duh a raid isn't worth it. I was thinking something more like a gorillion puppy linux keys or doing a yubikey knockoff or something, but even that I think would have trouble fitting in ~100mb.
>>
>>82022950
>3000+ tabs
what in the fuck
>>
It's not "ethical" and it's old school (I don't think it'd still work, in all honesty) but you could put autorun programs on them and drop them around randomly to build a botnet out of local morons
>>
>>82025596
meant for
>>82025481
>>
>>82025596
Tempting, but my ebin hacking knowledge stats and ends with using Wireshark and Cardpeek, and have no real need or interest in zombies at this time.

Still, some autorunning powershell to enable RDP and phone home sure would fit within 100mb and most normies probably wouldn't know what to do about it.
>>
I've been running Firefox with privacytools.io config and now update 89 has made it so it crashes every 3 hours or so, watching video makes it worse. Machine is a Core 2 Duo laptop with 6gb ddr2 ram, I also have Pale Moon for sites that get totally broken by NoScript and the like but that's a bit on the slow side even with no extensions.
What browser should I upgrade to?
>>
How do i fix the speed of my pc? Everything takes like 1 minute to open documents and shit
>>
>>82025802
Get an SSD if you haven't already.
>>
File: 1613685744078.jpg (189 KB, 750x750)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>82023542
>>
>>82025811
alternatively, i could just uninstall stuff so my pc runs faster, right?
>>
>>82025854
explain the logic of how removing files from disk will make your computer faster? unless you mean uninstalling something that has a background process eating up CPU usage
>>
>>82025854
If that "stuff" is bloat that is directly affecting whatever you're trying to do, sure. But getting rid of installed programs or movies/music won't do much. Has your computer just become slow recently?
>>
>>82025892
Yeah it's running really really slow, it's becoming really painful to play games at it

>>82025888
Dunno but i usually uninstall and defrag my hard drive, but at this point believing that defragging is going to make my pc fast is just placebo at this point
>>
>>82025920
>defrag
what year is it? do you have your OS on like a 4500 rpm spindle drive? you don't defrag SSDs, or really even hard disks anymore
>>
>>82025920
I've heard of driver updates screwing with everything in general before. It might even be a virus though I haven't dealt with them in ages. Check the task manager and see if there's some unknown process hogging your resources.
>>
>>82025947
Either i defrag or i just go to the nearest shop to have my pc reformatted. i dont know what im doing
>>
>>82025920
what's your CPU usage like even with out any open applications? how much free memory do you generally have? if you're almost out of memory the OS will start swapping to disk, which can really slow things down. How much free space does your OS drive have? how old is your CPU?
>>
>>82026029
Cpu is more than 6 years old but is barely used until recently
memory hits 80% usage, but my ram is just 4 gb so i think i need to consider changing it to 8 gb ram
>>
>>82026118
if you're trying to run Windows 10, and games, with 4GB, that's your issue, that's way too little
>>
File: 1619712927844.jpg (40 KB, 967x365)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>82025204
Thanks, handbreak helps. Only thing I'm trying to figure out now how to bring over the subtitles. What do the Force, Burn In, and Default options mean?
>>
>>82026118
4GB is way too small for modern day stuff especially gaming, I even put 6 in my 12 year old laptop that I only spreadsheet and web browse on.
>>
Any advice on how to make USB ports look somewhat seamless and less janky? Specifically I'm retrofitting something and putting new USB ports in something.

The whole "dremeled rectangle with a stock usb female connector" look is pretty shitty. Pic related.
>>
>>82022711
Go to appdata -> local and then remove the "Roblox" folder.
>>
>>82026138
>>82026200
i can buy any 8gb ram for my computer, right?
>>
>>82026533
lolno, it has to be compatible with your motherboard, and you need spare slots to install it
>>
I need something to help me judge the passage of time and stay organized.
Smart phones don't work for me because they are too distracting.
I'm thinking about some kind of smart watch- but on the "watch" end of the spectrum.
All I need is for it to have some kind of a timetable, a vibrating function and a really long battery life
>>
Linux tards what the fuck is this? Where the fuck are my letters? How do I fucking fix this absolute bullshit. This is fucking cancerous. At first it begins innocent enough, missing "1" or "2" before inevitably progressing to full fuck you mode. Nothing is safe, nothing is sacred. Except QT applications. Those work fine. I can't even restart my X session because virtual terminals are fucked to. Everything is fucked. How can this possibly be so fucked. And the behavior isn't even consistent.
>>
>>82026550
i see people inserting 2 8 gb ram on their motherboard, i guess thats bullshit as well?
>>
>>82026877
what the fuck are you talking about? of course you can. but you can't go buy old DDR2 modules and put them in a DDR4 motherboard. and it may or may not matter to you what clock rate the modules you're buying are
>>
>>82022513
recenty got spectrum in my apartment with the 1 gig plan and tested the speed, only to find out I was getting 100 mbps. So I decided to go to the spectrum store to get another one, but with the new one, I'm only getting 230 mbps. My two options are to either call a technician and see what's wrong, or get my own modem. What should I do anons?
>>
>>82026950
did they provide a modem, or are you using your own? I would assume if they provided the modem it would work for the speeds they're claming.
are you confusing the modem with the router? what speeds do you get with an ethernet connection directly connected to the modem?
>>
a motherboard can hold 2 SSDs?
>>
>>82027063
yes. you can connect as many drives as you have ports for. my current machine has 2 NVMe SSD drives and 1 bigger HDD, and many more spare sata ports to connect even more drives if I needed
>>
so my mac from work signs into the local domain account the same way windows pc at the office, but if I take the mac home and connect it to my network the user I log into ( at work) doesn't even show up. The windows pc user works just fine . Is there a way to log in with the user from home?
>>
>>82026958
They gave me a modem for free, I just told them I already had a router. I tried to connect the ethernet cable directly to the modem, but it didn't recognize it, so I have to connect to the router instead. Like I said earlier, I tested my speeds and I still get 230 mpbs on a wired ethernet connection. I know 100% that the cable and the router are not the issues at all.
>>
Was 4chan down?
>>
File: 1618498154920.jpg (311 KB, 1536x2048)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
How to compress a 2:30 video into 3 MB for 4chan while still have decent quality.
It's a 480p video.
>>
File: 1615371265300.jpg (128 KB, 1080x1350)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
How to create a virtual monitor from a workspace in linux?
>>
File: 1597555861774.jpg (752 KB, 2048x1536)
752 KB
752 KB JPG
I'm using ffmpeg to make some webms, but i'm creating a lot of intermediary files, and some fail webms and I fear this would ruin my SSD.
Is it better to create those on /tmp?
Or better to make temp ram drive?
>>
File: Capture.png (4 KB, 364x180)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
I am trying to write a bash script to turn all .mkv files in a directory into audio files with ffmpeg.
When running the script ffmpeg returns an error complaining about the file name, so I added the ' ' symbols to encapsulate them
ffmpeg still complains about spaces and special symbols in the filename, however; If I just have the script echo the ffmpeg command out instead, and I copy paste it back into the terminal window it works without problem. like what the fuck? why can it not run the exact command in same command when it is in my script?
>>
Posting here because there's no /fglt/.

I have to get Linux for school/programming career and it's all very new to me. I understand how to install it, but I don't really want to dual boot it on my main laptop which then becomes a single point of failure for all my school work, all my future programming, and all my personal stuff.

So my options are as follows. Which would /g/ recommend?

> Install it on an external SSD which becomes a plug and play Linux boot/storage drive that I can plug into my laptop, school computers etc (is this even possible/reliable?)

>Buy semi-cheap portable pc e.g. a used Windows surface pro 4, that I can connect to any monitor I want, and use this as my full time Linux computer

>Stop being a pussy and install it on my main laptop as a dual boot with win10 and hope that nothing ever corrupts

Cheers in advance
>>
>>82027831
>what are backups?
you could also use the Windows Subsystem for Linux
>>
>>82027831
Use a virtual machine. You also might want to try a live "cd" to see how well a certain distro runs on your hardware. I'm using Linux as my main OS and it was easier to install and maintain than Windows 10. Dual booting is shit.
>>
>>82026139
Forced are subtitles that are required for the movie, like for example if you have some chinese text in an english movie, there is a subtile for the translation. Few movies have them.
https://www.rev.com/blog/what-are-forced-subtitles

Burn in tells Handbrakes to write the subtitles IN the video, that means you can't remove them.
https://www.edgeware.tv/burn-in-subtitles/

Also, RTFM
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/advanced/subtitles.html

>>82023305
Take a spoon, you fucking baby.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=How+do+I+set+up+a+Tor+hidden+service%3F&ia=web

>>82024036
I didn't fully understand you but I think you need a reverse proxy.
I have a setup like that
nextcloud.mydomain.dick -> nextcloud
stream.mydomain.dick -> jellyfin
doc.mydomain.dick -> onlyoffice
All services are hosted on the same machine and I used a reverse proxy rule in Apache. Took some time to setup but it works well.
Don't forget to add your subddomains to your domain provider's DNS, nextcloud.mydomain.dick has to explicitely point to your IP.

>>82024842
Yes.

>>82025476
OK.

>>82026296
replace the female ports with low depths ones and add a cover.
Keywords on aliexpress seems to be "small board USB socket".
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000979236468.html
>>
>>82027143
Go ask IT at your company.

>>82027250
Yes.

>>82027831
Use a VM, it's the best way to fuck around with no consequences.
>>
What does the "you 'need' more" meme mean?
>>
>>82027858
>>82027864
>>82027910
Thanks anons

>>82027858
I've got another hdd on the way to make a full backup before I try anything, but I don't want to have to stress about losing data on a daily/weekly basis.

>>82027864
>>82027910
If I used a virtual machine would any files I saved to the Linux environment still be there the next time I loaded everything up? (This is /sqg/ ha) if yes then I'll take it from here and go research.
>>
>>82027858
(Also should have said I'm thinking about keeping personal computer separate so that I don't have to carry all my personal files with me every time i leave the house)
>>
>>82028131
>If I used a virtual machine would any files I saved to the Linux environment still be there the next time I loaded everything up?
yes.
>>
>>82024036
You want the same server to serve different content based on the domain used? It's called "virtual hosts" on your webserver's config.
>>
>>82027831
I bet they don't allow booting different drives with the school computers. Do they provide any virtualization software? Could just use the same and do your GNU/Linux business in a VM.
Pro tip: if all your usage is terminal only, setup a serial console. It rocks compared to the emulated VGA or whatever.
>>
File: mo.png (236 KB, 467x618)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
>>82022513
Whats the best software to do deepfake lip sync with facial expressions
>>>/wsg/3959908
Want this, but with mental outlaw's face (as in pic)
>>
Anyone know about this weird site that would take you to more lesser known sites. I wanna say it was a search engine but I dont think thats accurate. Somebody made a thread awhile back where people would use it and post results. I looked through my history and cant find it.
>>
>>82028360
Whoops, meant this one
>>>/wsg/3968188
>>
>>82028140
>>82028147
Thanks. Sounds like a go. Last question if I may... Is running Linux on a VM on Windows not going to double the requirements on my laptop? It's got a Ryzen 4500 with 8gb ram so not terrible, but obviously not high end

>>82028297
Fair point. I think for the most part we're expected to use our own computers anyway; haven't looked too much into it yet as the school is letting us do as much remote as we want so I won't need to know about their physical setup for a few months yet. Seems the common theme in these answers is VM though...
>>
Is switching to a trackball from a mouse a good way to stop killing your wrist?
>>
>>82028360
dammit anon, what is with /g/'s obsession over this guy

so he installed gentoo or whatever, but the obsession almost seems gay
>>
>>82022513
I saw a Stallman video, and Stallman said
>There is no cloud
and the other guy said
>There is only someone elses computer
and I forgot what Stallman said next, but it was something like
>no there are various computers for various things with various freedom respecting
I think he had a few more various in there, I wished I memorized what he said, cause it sounded cooler and more accurate than OP picrel
>>
File: download.gif (46 KB, 593x195)
46 KB
46 KB GIF
can I use qbittorrent for regular download like a download manager?
>>
i know this is a weird request, but i need to know which gay dating websites exist in my country ( italy) and are most popular, but all googling yields is trash paid top ten list of abandoned websites.it feels like i have no way to even know what exists.

best attempt so far was putting all the names in google trends; it would be cool if you knew of a website that does something like alexa rankign per country and per category.
thanks anons.
>>
File: unnamed.png (49 KB, 512x512)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
Can someone (like an admin or group-owner) see and check which files have been downloaded from MS Teams by the students or other members of the group?
>>
This morning I had 4 GB of free space on my SSD. I've been working on my laptop all day but I had to restart it not too long ago and now I have 12 GB of free space.

What the hell? How did this happen? Should I worry?
>>
>>82028662
>download manager
It's not 1999 anymore
>>
File: Grindr.jpg (46 KB, 1019x715)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>82028664
Use Grindr.
>>
>>82028720
probably just the browser cache flushing or some other temporary files
>>
>>82025696
Firefox ESR.
>>
>>82024959
Insert a field.
>>
>>82028745
eww
>>
>>82028730
and I still don't want to use a fucking browser for downloading
>>
>>82028766
I thought the same but I find it weird that I constantly had 3 or 4 GB of free space for the past few weeks, and now suddenly I have 3 times that.

That being said, I'm not that much of a pc expert so it might be possible I don't know.
>>
>>82028688
bump
>>
>>82028823
listoffreeware.com/free-open-source-download-manager-software-windows/
>>
>>82028131
>>82028147
>>82028404
A VM has a virtual disk stored in a file on your disk, everything is saved. You can even make a backup copy of it that you can restore if you fucked up.

The overhead of using a VM with a recent processor (less than 10 years old) is minimal. You can easily run several VM on a shitty laptop.
I used to run linux in a VM on a core2 duo macbook with 4GB of RAM.

>>82028124
That you actually don't need modern hardware/performance and that [insert shitty obsolete stuff] is sufficient.

>>82028366
maybe
>https://alternativeto.net/

>>82028521
It's worth a try. also search for ergonomic mousepads or vertical mice.

>>82028662
No.

>>82028688
I don't know but it is very likely.
Check :
>https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams
>>
>>82028688
SharePoint activity, yes.
>>
>>82028720
>>82028766
>>82028827
Maybe Windows deleted a savepoint or old update files.
In any case, don't worry about it
>>
>>82028865
Yes, I know the other download manager exist.
Just wondered if it could be used for torrenting and for ordinary download manager.
>>82028908
>No.
Thank you anon.
>>
>>82028913
>SharePoint activity, yes.

ayy that's unsettling news. thanks anon.
>>
File: asd.gif (2.33 MB, 320x180)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB GIF
I'm trying to parse some json to create a string and turn it into interactive shell.
Sport
Movies
Series
Entertainment
Kids

These are the string in each new line.
I want to assign the number to the word.
so when I use case it would be like this
case
1 word
2 word
esac
And when choosing it would use the number 10 for sport as variable for another string.
>>
Can anyone please link me to the webpage with the list of recommended sites. It had a picture of an anime girl on the right
>>
>>82029129
goodsites.tech
>>
>>82029035
OK.
I you don't ask questions, you don't get answers.
>>
>>82029160
Thank you anon, i love you
>>
>>82028908
>>https://alternativeto.net/
nah but thanks, looks cool
>>
File: taskbar.png (11 KB, 311x44)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Two questions:

My PC (Windows 10) just restarted on its own and when I logged back in it put this shit on my taskbar.

Q1: How can I get rid of this

Q2: How can I prevent these automatic restarts in the future?
>>
How do I convert a pdf file to mobi so the page numbers and chapter/book title isn't repeated every few paragraphs
>>
File: thanks.jpg (74 KB, 1600x948)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>82028366
>>82028908
Found it
https://wiby.me

>>82029160
Thanks lad, trying to remember the site was driving me crazy
>>
>>82029164
Sorry.
I'll try to rephrase as best as I can.
I'm trying to make an interactive shell and parse data from json file with jq.
The first set is like this
Sport
Movies
Series
Entertainment
Kids

My idea is to have case/esac list
Sport
Movies
Series
Entertainment
Kids

to choose from, and by choosing I get the value corresponding to the word.
for example sport is 10, movie is 11, etc.
>>
>>82028664
https://europa.eu/european-union/index_en
>>
>>82029202
Right click on it, I've forgotten which option it is on the menu that appears, but it has a name that doesn't match what it looks like at all. Uncheck the options until you find the right one. Not sure how to stop automatic updates apart from selecting "let me choose when to install updates" to delay them.

>>82028908
>The overhead of using a VM with a recent processor (less than 10 years old) is minimal
Thanks anon, reassuring. HDD just arrived so I'm backing up now before I give the VM a go. Cheers for your help
>>
i have an audiofool usb dac whose output is far too loud for my headphones, what kind of device can i put between them to reduce it and maybe have a physical knob to control the volume?
do headphone amps do this or can they only make things louder?

>just reduce the volume
can't get it down to comfortable/safe levels on freebsd + it's like giving the computer a gun and trusting random programs not to shoot me with it
>>
>>82029244
I have a clear view about what you're trying to do, there just no question.
Do you need help ?
What do you want /sqt/ to help you with ?
Do you want us to write it for you ?
Do you want to know the algorithmic complexity of this problem ?

>>82029350
>Cheers for your help
You're welcome. It's always nice when people come back and thank us.
>>
>>82029211
>https://wiby.me

>>82029451
a resistor.
also :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32700312329.html
>>
>>82029493
I apologize.
I guess, I want to auto generate case statement?
That's dependent on the array acquired from that.
another question, is how to insert a variable into the array.
I mean instead of echo "${arr[@]}" it would be something like echo "${arr[$i]}"
and $i would get the desired array.
>>
>>82029546
>>>82029211
>>https://wiby.me
I meant to thank you, I didn't know this site.
Time to waste a few hours.
>>
>>82029546
>https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32700312329.html
thanks, i'll try ordering one
>>
>>82028720
If you're on Windows it's probably the pagefile.
>>
>>82028688
Possibly, by using Teams you're not only giving all of your activity data to Microsoft - as usual - but but it is also visible by your own professors, employers or organization-managers, as long as they are above you in the sort of account-hierarchy.
>>
>>82029619
I'm shit a js, I hope another anon can help.
You can't "generate a case statement". Self modifying code is advanced stuff and 99.99% of the time NOT the way to go.

I think a map is what you need.
>https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Map
>>
My compuiter keep bluescreening at the same time in the morning and im small brain. Does anyone know what this means?
>>
>>82029670
I just searched 5s on aliexpress and don't endorse this particular item. Search for a better one.
>>
>>82022513
>X200
>4GB RAM
>120GB SSD
>£105

>x220
>6GB RAM
>500GB HDD
>£120

Which one should I get bros? The storage would be nice, but it is an HDD instead of an SSD.

And with the 200 you can libreboot later I suppose.

Any major advantages tot he 200 over the 220?

I am so confuse.
>>
>Single person household
>Heavy torrent user of everything
>1080p only

My ISP is increasing the price of my 65mb fibre from 26 to 28.50. On their website they offer 150mb fibre for 32 a month. Since I'm facing an unavoidable price increase for the same service I'm wondering if it's worth jumping to the more expensive package, however I am happy with my current speed and never really needed anything faster. I am a heavy torrent user but everything downloads to my NAS in the background, I'm never in a rush for anything. I can't think of a reason why I would need the faster speed, however the gap is pretty small for such a difference. I guess it comes down to would I rather my internet be twice as fast or an extra 42 pounds a year.
>>
>>82028973
They are very different things.
>>
>>82029864
I'd take the one with more RAM in an instant. Both the hdd and ssd on those things are worthless, just get a new half or full terabyte SSD in it's place.
>>
>>82029897
Is replacing this pleb friendly?

Can't you also upgrade ram in this stuff too anyway?
>>
I have a Mi Notebook Pro from ‘18 (i5 8th Gen) and a problem with this usb-c dock that I just bought: https://www.amazon.de/i-tec-USB-C-Metall-Docking-Station/dp/B086T6QLDG/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=usb-c+metal+nano+dock+itec&qid=1623417550&s=computers&sr=1-5
Without charging all connected devices work flawlessly, but as soon as I want to charge it the dock completely disconnects and reconnects repeatedly.
Some other people also seem to have problems with this specific notebook:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/fvuh73/usb_c_dock_with_power_delivery_for_xiaomi_mi/
However I was using this 4 in 1 dock before and had no problems with display output through usb c and charging. Therefore I doubt that it is general incompatibility.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topoint-ink-topoint-USB-C-Adaptor/dp/B075FQWNX6
Does anyone have an idea what I can try to make my new dock work? I tried with Win10 as well as Ubuntu.
>>
why cant i disable javascript in brave?
>>
>>82029877
>happy with what he has.
>wonders if he should change.
>asks no question in /StupidQuestionsThread/
Is that right ?
>>
>>82029954
Would you rather increase from 65mb > 150mb or have an extra 42 pounds a year
>>
>>82029877
Use the money to buy silver instead anon :)
>>
What's the Windows equivalent of the unix/linux ps aux? I'm specifically looking for something COMMAND-LINE based that doesn't require installing anything (can be done on an arbitrary Windows Server install), and prints CPU and memory usage output in Percentages.
>>
I bought some cheapo 10m led strip and the thing doesnt turn off properly, a couple leds emit a very faint light even when its off, can I do something about this?
>>
File: 1619653801912.jpg (82 KB, 500x371)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
is it a bad idea to blu tac my external hard drive to the desk so it doesn't move about?

it's in an enclosure
I'm serious
>>
>>82029973
I've had 1gb in the past, now 35mb. If your heavy torrenting needs are satisfied with 65mb, don't upgrade.
>>
>dlhost using 14 gigs of ram
AHHHH fuck send help
>>
>>82030093
Why would it be? Worst that can happen is that it moves a bit.
>>
>>82029877
call customer service, if you bitch even a tiny bit they can easily offer discounts
>>
File: caca.jpg (39 KB, 500x375)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
I want to scam the scammer. Gonna order some of those fake GPUs from ebay, get the evidence those are fake, file for ebay Money Back Guarantee and then keep the cards becuase fuck paying to shipment, get to keep the cards, reprogram the BIOS, keep some and sell some. What do you think, ne/g/ros?
>>
I have a question about Floating Point representation.

Assume the following 24-bit floating point format with value = (-1)^s x 1.F x 2^(E-255)
E=000000000 to represent zero
and E=111111111 to represent infinity.

S is one bit
Exponent is 9 bits and the fraction is 14

what are the limits of what I can represent here? what are the maximum and minimum positive and negative numbers?
>>
>>82030087
There is some leakage, LEDs will light up with a very small current.
If that bothers you, change your switch.

>>82030093
Does it move about on its own!?
If that's the case, it is concerning, otherwise, nothing to worry about.
>>
>>82030134
Price is increasing due to inflation, happens across all ISP's and no way to avoid it
>>
>>82030215
They usually don't only modify the bios; they do some fuckery to them to the point they become unusable
>>
>>82030215
If this >>82030294 is true then you can still perhaps do it to scam the scammer, you won't get free junk, but you will cost them money, which is king move in my opinion. Gotta rely of their money back being ironclad though.
>>
>>82030215
Doable if you're sure they are fake but I guess if you do it too much, ebay will smell fish and fuck you over.
Never assume people are completely stupid.
>>
>>82029795
>js
This is shell.
>>
>>82030275
>Does it move about on its own!?
Nah, it's just that I don't want it to accidentally get knocked or anything, know what I mean?

>>82030126
I don't know, I know hard drives are fragile so though I should ask in case it's retarded. I'm going to put it on the 4 corners
>>
>>82030393
It's fine, you can tack a regular back up drive under the desk or something if you want, they aren't that fragile.
>>
File: 1585528497697.png (268 KB, 500x474)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>82030294
I have seen countless videos and some articles regarding it, and pretty much ehat they do is to reprogram the BIOS chip onto the GPU to report back that it is another GPU, usually better, than it actually is. Sometimes they kinda fuck with their VRAM that they report or bus bandwidth, but otherwise I got to know and spot fake models and which is which on sight, just have to keep a GPU-Z tab open and then the spec sheet from Nvidia and you can tell which is which card.
>>82030323
I have seen some people simply just file a report that it is fake, they get no response since the seller knows he is fucked, 3 days pass and then ebay fucks the seller and gives you money back without any other issues. It's just that it's my first time doing this and a bit skeptical that I may not see my money back because I don't know how to do it properly.
>>82030355
Well, not too much, but I want at least one so I could upgrade my old HTPC for free (for the cost of a USB reprogrammer which is obviously way cheaper than a GPU). Plus it would be fun to tinker with the part.
>>
>>82030441
Thanks bro
Blu tac it is
>>
>>82030290
tell them you had another ISP offer a lower price for the same service, or better service at the same price.
customer service monkeys are there to keep you subscribed, if you accept a discount they get a good boy point for convincing the goy to stay
>>
>>82030393
>I don't want it to accidentally get knocked
They are pretty solid but if that make you feel better, tack it. It won't hurt.
>>
>>82029035
>>82029619
Don't know what the json looks like, but sort it properly so the keys come first and use an associative array
declare -A x=('Y' '10' 'Z' '11')
echo ${x['Y']}; # => 10
>>
>>82030465
>I have seen some people simply just file a report that it is fake, they get no response since the seller knows he is fucked, 3 days pass and then ebay fucks the seller and gives you money back without any other issues. It's just that it's my first time doing this and a bit skeptical that I may not see my money back because I don't know how to do it properly.
Ebay are more sophisticated than you might think, so if you keep doing it, one day they will catch on an fuck you in the ass. I got my account cancelled for not responding to feedback fast. Undertake at your own risk, but once should be fine.
>>
>>82029937
because it is a horrible shill software which gets astroturf'ed to workaround ad blockers for the shitty ad branche. ofc js is needed to deliver their shitty ads.
>>
>>82030261
depends on the bytelength you use for serializing the float.
>>
Are there remotes you can buy or software you can use to control your monitor instead of the built-in controls on the unit? I want to set some presets instead of having to manually change the settings every time.
>>
>>82030798
It really depends on the monitor. Sometimes monitors support things like that, but if they do, they'll usually come with it.
>>
>>82030215
Some fake GPUs can fry your motherboard.
>>
>>82028745
aids fucking festering shit app full of shit people
>>
>>82030833
Where would I find that info? I have an LG 27GL83A-B.
>>
>>82030756
Well, I am off to try it. One thing to note, seems like a search on ebay lacks these GPUs for some reason, lol? (I guess most got caught and don't wsnt to scam people on ebay anymore).
>>82030849
Eh, socket 775 mobos are very cheap, I don't care that much.
>>
>>82026296
maybe a flush/panel mount usb port?
>>
>>82027396
4chan has a 2 minute limit
>>
>>82031032
Not on /gif/
>>
>>82029816
what is happening in your home at this time? Is there a microwave running, are you turning on a space heater, opening a certain program? Those times aren't exactly the same so it's not a time related bug or something, it's related to what's happening around you.
>>
The 1080ti I have is specified on the website as having a maximum power consumption of 250W. The motherboard can provide 75W, and its 2 8-pin can provide ~250W each. Why does it then need ~600W worth of potential power? Are manufacturers retarded? Not even a 3090 can do that much.

inb4 power spikes meme. Doesn't spike +300W
>>
File: cupwojacks.png (129 KB, 900x729)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>82025481
pLEASE respond
>>
File: neutrik-usb.jpg (46 KB, 647x600)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>82026296
>>
>>82031400
>instead of cutting a rectangular hole and atually using teh chassis ground properly, it's mounted in a tube that will inevitably get full of smegma and the port itself will dangle and break off some day

jesus fucking christ
>>
>>82022513
I built a gaming PC for my family using my old parts. Can I sign into my steam account on it and still use my steam account on my home network? Obviously not playing at the same time, but will steam get angry that I am signed in on multiple networks and log me off?

Or should I get them to make their own steam account and I set up family sharing?
>>
>>82031421
Dunno about the first part but I would say family sharing should not take anything away from you at all and they still have access right?

They also can't edit your shit and use your credit cards that way either.

What have you got to gain from giving them your steam?
>>
File: MUSBR-4193-M0.jpg (32 KB, 640x640)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>82026296
Something like this?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/amphenol-icc-commercial-products/MUSBR-4193-M0/7386149?s=N4IgTCBcDaILIFUDKAhASgWgCwEYCcAzBnAAwgC6AvkA
>>
File: 15.jpg (44 KB, 500x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>82031419
>the port itself will dangle and break off some day
nah …
>>
>>82031474
then theyd have access to the libraries of the people I am family shared with, also for simplicity's sake. You are right, I'll just get them to make their own account.
>>
Anyone have issues with WinCDEmu lately? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it can never access my isos.
I thought maybe my collection got corrupted, but I installed Daemon Tools Lite and they mount and run fine. I really don't want to use this ad-riddled bloat though.
>>
>>82031491
And here's a single port version if that matters to you
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/amphenol-icc-commercial-products/MUSBR-3593-M0/7386148
>>
>>82031493
I AM GOING TO FUCKING VOMIT ANON

>>82031491
now this is a proper mount

>>82031421
>>82031474
>>82031497
Let them make their own account, but there's a feature in Steam as it is where you can share your library with a certain number of people. A buddy of mine who has six gorillion games did this with me when we were still college homies.

The main limitations are that you can't both play the same game at once, and only the person who bought it can do Account Stuff to is (returns, etc.). It's also reciprocal but not recursive so you can't do it to hoard or pirate games really

I think also that purchasing DLC for games that aren't yours is wonky, but you can just buy it as a gift for the host account and sidestep that issue.
>>
What's the best format to store and play audio files? Ideally I'd like to be able to play these audio files on my Android phone
>>
>>82022843
pajeet code, nothing you can do
>>
This is shell question.
I have $VAR, that have about 8 strings.
When I use printf '%s\n' "$VAR"
It list it like I want it, each in new line, but I want to have number before it like 1. , 2. etc.
How do I do that?
>>
>>82031491
>>82026296
Speaking of this kind of thing, I have a couple of old PCs. Would it be worth it to heat gun the mobos and take all the passives and ports and shit off or should I just throw it the fuck away and bring it to the local e-waste place?
>>
>>82031371
install malware on them and leave them in corporate parking lots
>>
>>82022689
Pretty sure most distros link ksh to mksh.
>>
>>82031666
see >>82025668
>Tempting, but my ebin hacking knowledge stats and ends with using Wireshark and Cardpeek, and have no real need or interest in zombies at this time.
>Still, some autorunning powershell to enable RDP and phone home sure would fit within 100mb and most normies probably wouldn't know what to do about it.
I don't even know what kind of attack would be useful or interesting beyond that point. I guess it'd be a fun story for job interviews but that's about it.

Also the parking lot thing has happened like once ever anyway and was a more distributed failure of IT/IS policy than just "lol free usb key"
>>
Why should I use Docker over VM's other than storage space?
>>
>>82032032
Docker is a big meme among startups so you can put it on your CV. IIRC it's not open source but its license is "better" for home users.
>>
>>82032061
I really don't get the appeal, they just seem like lightweight versions of VMs. I have a fairly strong computer and multiple VMs running at once with no issue but I routinely see Docker being shilled but nobody can explain why it's better.
>>
>>82032091
It's a meme u dip

just like K8s and Zoom. normies latch on to the thing that gets shilled first and hardest and it gets self-reinforcing from there
>>
dumbass here, never done a windows install on a usb drive. what kind of performance can you expect out of something like that? say win7 over 3.0. is that usable? what about if its over usb 2?
>>
>>82032392
Basically any OS will perform about as well as retrieving stuff off the key will normally. It'll be noticeably slower when accessing files (which windows does A LOT) but just for recovery ops and such it's totally sufficient.

You'll probably start to get annoyed if you use that key as your daily driver OS though
>>
>>82028662
just use jdownloader
>>
Say I have a webservice (node based in this case) I want to run and I don't trust the developers of that service to be good enough at security. Is there some way to secure it further without a VPN? I'm imagining something like a wifi captive portal except just for accessing the server through https.

I'd hope to trust that portal more than the service itself of course. But even so having two layers and obfuscation what service is behind there would be the best.

Ideally it would be something I can just set up on the server without having to do any extra configuration of the node service. But if it requires me to change which ports the node service uses that's fine.
>>
Anyone here ever worked with WooCommerce? I am looking for a plugin that will automatically mail out tax reports to the admin email weekly. If there isnt a plugin how would I go about making something like that? maybe use node?
>>
My TV is connected to an RX 5700 with an HDMI 1.3. TV and GPU supports 60hz and 4K. should I upgrade cable?
>>
>>82031300
I have a program called MAcrium Reflect backing up my hard drive at 8am. The "Last Result" says it is still In progress. This seems like it might be the issue when it is trying to finish a backup? I've had it for years so it seems strange. I guess I will see tomorrow since it does not run on the weekend.
>>
best way to record my gameplay?
>>
File: Intel_D8086_CS.jpg (2 MB, 6000x4000)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
What is the biggest overclock ever applied to an Intel 808k?
>>
>>82032838
OBS
>>
>>82032838
OBS
>>
>>82032838
definitely Camtasia.
>>
File: marvin (1).jpg (38 KB, 600x553)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>82027569
bumping this again because I cant figure this shit out
why can I manually run the example command
cp '[ass] filename (with bunch of fucking symbols and whitespaces)' file1.mkv
in my terminal by typing it and pressing enter. but when I add the same line to a bash script it refuses and gives an error. why?
>>
>>82032838
If you're asking here you just like to watch yourself. Use the graphics card vendors solutions like shadowplay. Most likely you'd just like to snap the highlights anyway.

They have virtually no performance impact while OBS does cause issues sometime. Much more well adapted for streamers or more structured content recording.
>>
>>82033095
bash scripting is primitive and bad.
>>
how do I insert those neat looking code snippets into my posts
>>82030594
>>
>>82033122
read the sticky
lurk moar noob
>>
>>82033140
thanks
>>
>>82032032
Containers don't need to be at the sub-OS level. Docker is sort of half-assed solution though. Linux needs to be reworked in order to have proper containerization.
>>
>>82033104
OBS can use stuff like shadowplay. You might just have to set it up to work properly.
>>
Fuck all y'all good-for-nothing linux faggots. I will see you in hell where I will personally take away all of your letters. I will scoop them out of your brains until you can no longer see letters. I will find and replace them with nothing. Just a void emptiness of nothing. Fuck linux, fuck jannies fuck this stupid meme. Fuck thinkpads fuck lenovo. They probably use illegal immigrants to steal all my letters what the fuck.
>>
>>82033111
what do I do instead
>>
>>82033191
#JustKDEThings
>>
>>82033191
They left your window title at least
>>
>>82033196
powershell, nigga
>>
There's a burned resistor on the input board on my guitar amp. Tiny surface mounted resistor on the bottom right of this photo. Vox doesn't provide a parts list in the service manual for this board. Is there any way to know what resistor to replace it with?
>>
>>82033190
They can use NVENC and whatever AMDs equivalent encoder is. Both are very low performance impact. But that's not the main problem still. OBS just fucks things up sometimes. It's much much rarer than it used to be but it still might happen. So if he's a casual he'd much rather have shadowplay just because it's more stable to use.

To me it'd be worth it if it's just once. And the more consumer oriented features are nice.
>>
File: oi.jpg (11 KB, 299x450)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>82033333
faggot aids programming ölamguiage
learn c and microcontrollers yngmi
>>
File: default_Boompro-flying-01.jpg (122 KB, 1365x2048)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>82022513
How do I keep a 3.5mm jack plug from turning in its socket?
For reference, I got a V-Moda BoomPro mic (pic related) and don't want to keep readjusting it as the mic swings around due to gravity.
>>
>>82027569
Don't escape the quotes.
>>
>>82022513
If u and v are linearly independent why are w = 2u +3v and z = u +v also linearly independent?
>>
>>82033400
you need to contract aids, then you design a shitty connector with ms paint and show us. Its just low power dc faggot
>>
>>82033386
Good goy
>>
>>82032847
7ghz
>>
>>82033508
I don't follow. Anon is going to have an AMD or Nvidia GPU. What's wrong with using the features he has installed?
>>
>>82033430
? I don't have problems with it falling out or anything, it just turns left and right a little too easily in my opinion.
>>
>>82033333
Ask someone with the same device. I wouldn't guess. If a resistor has blown it could be a 0ohm resistor and something else is shorted. In which case guessing is pretty bad.
>>
>>82033525
>FUDs the FOSS version
>For me it's the ShadowPlay© Experience™
>"Replay the Game Right"™ with ShadowPlay©!
>>
>>82027569
this: >>82033418
remove all backslashes
>>
>>82033617
>FUDs the open source alternative
Do you use OBS for recording games regularly anon? Have you done so for years?

Also it's on your fucking computer why do you think it makes a difference if he also downloads OBS? There's no way anon has actually purged his computer of that stuff.
>>
>>82033206
It's the GTK file picker. The one without image thumbnails. The one that can't have image thumbnails. AAaAaAaAAaaAAAAA
>>
>>82033645
I use OBS a fair bit. Just Werks for me.
>Also it's on your fucking computer
It's not on mine.
>>
>>82033666
Fair enough. I don't think anon is using Linux if he's asking how to record games.
>>
If I point my router's dns to a pihole and vpn into my local network using an openvpn server hosted on my main server, will that vpn connection use the pihole as it's dns?

result i want is to be able to block ads on my phone across any network by always staying connected to my vpn. but i'm not sure if extra configuration is requried beyond just setting both up.

i ordered a pi but it isn't here yet so i can't test myself.
>>
Because of work with normies they want me on a gorillion different zoom-esque groups and demand I get on fb video chat and shit.

my camera doesn't work. that's not the problem though.

what's a good voice-only or camera-agnostic (i.e. it'll let me join without a camera and do audio-only) alternative to these normie "collaboration" apps? I'm starting to get tempted to just install a fucking Slack server on my machine and strong-arm people into using it, but something free (as in beer) and that runs in a browser (for portability to the frequently rotating normies I work with) is much more ideal

inb4 discord FUCK discord not because furries or trannies I just really really hate its UI
>>
BUDGET: $500, but really I'm going as cheap as possible. Willing to go used.

NEED: A GPU for encoding/decoding x265 @ 10-bit 4k (right now I'm at 1080p, but I want the future proofing). It will also be running waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan, to upscale old anime/hentai/cartoons.

AMD is preferred for the better Linux drivers, but if Nvidia brings me my goal in a better way, then I will go Nvidia.
>>
>>82033939
1660 super
>>
>>82033893
I don't know for certain, but I'm heavily leaning yes, given that the router is the gateway in that situation (barring a program going around it, like dns over https or something).
>>
>>82023542
https://docs.github.com/en/rest/reference/reactions#list-reactions-for-a-pull-request-review-comment
>>
>>82027421
what do you mean by virtual monitor?
maybe Xephyr?
>>
>>82034089
I mean when using application that share my screen, like m$ team/Google meet/zoom
The active workspace is being detected as the current monitor, what I'd like is to have only one workspace being shared as the active monitor instead.
So those application would get my workspace as monitors.
If it is possible.
>>
On Android phones, should battery optimization be turned off for GPS logging apps? Like uLogger and OsmAnd?
>>
>>82028913
>>82029790
What can they see as well?
Can the see my desktop?
>>
>>82027441
Anyone?
>>
>>82027441
You don't need to worry about SSD lifespan unless it's an old drive and it's scripted stuff that runs all the time. But if you're trying to maximize things, it would technically reduce SSD writes (also, occasionally speed) if you utilized a scratch drive for temp content.
Also, cute fire muscle girl.
>>
>>82033908
Mattermost has Jitsi integration, you can deploy it with docker pretty easily especially if you don't need TLS
>>
File: 1597431908179.webm (1.86 MB, 1280x720)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB WEBM
>>82034331
fstab reports that /tmp is tmpfs.
So does this mean it uses RAM as ramdrive?
Because I'm thinking of downloading /gif/ thread on it, for faster viewing webm.
>>
>>82034368
You misunderstand. I need something that's accessible to normies and doesn't require I personally maintain it (and if I were to personally maintain it, I'd just use Slack)

>Jitsi
wtf is jitsi and why should I care? My core issue here is teleconferencing with normies who have a panic attack if they don't see their coworkers' faces when calling them.
>>
on wangblows and my cursor keeps getting in my way; can i disable the cursor on key press somehow and renable on key press? I just don't want to see it on my screen

Also: ctrl f in browser highlights a tiny amount and i can't see it most of the time; anyway i can get a massive arrow that points to whatever ctrl f highlights?
>>
Is there a newpipe-like program for windows? NewPipe is a lightweight frontend for youtube. Looking for a dedicated program, not newpipe and bluestacks.
What is the best? TOMYO?
>>
>>82034551
Yes, afaik, just make sure you have enough RAM because excess will roll over to SWAP.
>>
i made some phonecalls for new ISP today, i found the good one for my area, but hughesnet said they would tunnel my pipe 50-75% if i was using a VPN. i said that should be illegal and hungup
>>
File: happy-clouds.jpg (43 KB, 835x522)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>82022513
WebTorrent is the real cloud.
>>
>>82034731
I have 8GB.
/tmp is set to 4 GB what does it mean?
and always empty, even when my ram is usage is high.
>excess will roll over to swap
I know still better than completely using SSD.
Q. if the system started swapping, but I still have some free ram.
Does it assign the new data to the free RAM or to the SWAP?
>>
>>82034867
Swap partition is basically VRAM if it didn't work.
>>
>>82034125
Using workspaces as virtual monitors might not be possible easily, but you have two easy options:

1) Use Xephyr, run a WM, your browser and every app you need to share in it:

Xephyr -br -ac -noreset -screen 800x600 :1
DISPLAY=:1 gnome-shell
DISPLAY=:1 firefox
DISPLAY=:1 etc

2) Use different TTYs as "workspaces", using CTRL-SHIFT-Fn.
You might have to start up X in that shell, depending on your distro, like so:

startx gnome-session -- :1

Then you can switch TTYs with CTRL-SHIFT-Fn

I highly recommend the first option, although learning the second one is pretty fun too.
>>
>>82034867
When you do most things, it uses RAM. When it needs to write things, it writes to the drive, either the program/user directory or if it's garbage, temp files. If your temp files are using ramfs, then that's using RAM too. If it tries to use RAM that you don't have or if your temp files go beyond your 4GB capacity, it will write to disk.

Again, SSDs are okay for daily usage. I've used my constantly for ~5 years and it is still in great shape. Early SSDs were much worse than modern ones.
>>
How do I prevent my computer from re-enabling Remote Registry for automatic start after I've disabled it?
>>
>>82034948
Even early SSDs had a service life that, while a lot less than conventional drives, lasted about the *real* service life of a hard drive anyway.

It's mostly bitcoin miners and shit who were using huge amounts of VRAM who wore out drives so quickly. That and home server operators. Not like "muh anime serv" but actual internet-facing stuff. These days, they're as reliable as platter drives.
>>
Semiconductors are just materials used to build electronic devices and components right?
So it would be retarded to say "your car has a few semiconductors in it" right?
>>
>>82035022
IT HAS MORE THAN A FEW but yeah it's one of those "not wrong" statements. It's not incorrect, but it doesn't convey any useful information, either.
>>
>>82035022
Not all electronics use semiconductors, but some non-electronic things do. Substances fit in 3 categories: conductors (eg. metals), semiconductors (eg. silicon), and insulators (non conductors, eg plastics).

All this is moot though as modern cars are full of computer chips made from silicon.
>>
>>82035068
>semiconductors (eg. silicon)
I may be and probably am wrong, but doesn't "semiconductor" also include passives that only conduct some of the time based on some external factor, and change that conductive ability meaningfully in its operating range? Light-sensitive diodes, magnetic relays, tubes, that kind of thing.
>>
>>82034925
>1) Use Xephyr, run a WM, your browser and every app you need to share in it:
How does this work as virtual monitor?
>>
>>82035068
I guess there is also super conductors, but as your car isn't near zero kelvin, it hardly matters.
>>
File: Capture.png (24 KB, 832x491)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>Open an HTTP port of 9556 in your router settings
Fucking where?
>>
>>82035110
I haven't heard it used that way, but that mean too much.
>>
>>82034570
Jitsi is just self hosted zoom. If you don't want self hosted then why aren't you just using zoom? Doesn't require a camera, doesn't need an account, normies love it. Do you just want a hipster reskin of zoom so you don't have to admit that you use it?
>>
>>82035110
afaik semiconductor technically refers to materials, not devices. For instance you can have thermionic diodes, made from a vacuum tube, or semiconductor diodes, made from silicon.
>>
File: 1621964172180.gif (280 KB, 128x128)
280 KB
280 KB GIF
I was thinking of getting a 3080 for 1800/2000 euros (not from a scalper, either from a local shop or amazon), I don't NEED it right now but all news points towards things getting worse and I'm afraid that if my 1070 dies I'd have to stick to a 670 while prices gets potentially worse.
I'm in the EU queue for one since november so I probably won't get one for another several months
>>
>>82035147
Literally right there.
>>
>>82029202
Like the other anon said right click the taskbar and select weather and news, also do the same with the people icon, As for question two I have no idea, I've hit stall updated to 60 days and the damn thing still updates when it's in sleep mode
>>
>>82035311
How often do you play AAA games? That's such a bad investment. If you need to use a 670, use that to your advantage and play old games or pick up a new hobby until prices go down. By the time you get one, the prices will likely be approaching a drop back to normal. In three years, things will be back to normal. In two years, things will probably back to normal. Thinking long-term, I'd say it's a bad investment. I'm assuming that was your question.
>>
>>82035260
Semiconductors are more then just Silicon, but is probably the most commonly used.
>>
>>82035232
nah I want an alternative to FB Messenger that'll work on my chinkbook.
>zoom
>normies love it
I live in a deceptively conservative area, and my office is mostly pro-government people who distrust zoom for being a chinese botnet. not that I don't too, but it's a reason to not use zoom

>>82035311
as soon as there's a new DX level or meme technology that the card doesn't support, your "investment" will be gone. wait until you are both in a place to be buying a new card AND have games to play that require it. consider just getting a second 1070 when it dies

>>82035361
crypto bullshit venture crapitalism is here to stay my friend
if anything, you should look into streaming game services for SP stuff and just resist the urge to play valorant for now
>>
>>82022513
Is 4chan slow as fuck lately for anyone else, webms and images take ages to load?
>>
File: tiresome.jpg (109 KB, 1200x858)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>82035361
well, I pretty much only play AA / AAA games though aside from Elden Ring there isn't a particular one I'm interested about coming in the future that looks graphical intensive, unless for some reason Tales of Arise will be heavier than other AAA games despite being an Anime game with cell shading, it's just that even those from 2019-2020 I try to play at 1440p are showing the age of my card, even if I play at medium with AA disabled all the time. but yeah I can see how it might, or rather, surely is a bad investment, but you know it's hard having finally a steady income and not being able to use it because the market is fucked

>>82035391
>consider just getting a second 1070 when it dies

it would be impossible and it already is, there are more chances of getting a 1660 at """"reasonable"""" prices
>>
>>82035125
It's not a virtual monitor, it's a virtual display server.

If your browser runs in it, when you share your screen, it should only see what's also in it.
>>
>>82035444
>it would be impossible and it already is
You just need to buy a new PC with a 1070 in it, it'd probably be cheaper than the price you're planning on paying for the 3080.
>>
Does anyone have a neat way to switch between github tokens for multiple accounts when pushing/pulling from their repos? I got projects that can't go on my public account so I need multiple.
>>
>>82035315
But it's only TCP and UDP.
>>
>>82035552
And?
>>
what happened to the guy with the public virtual machines? are they still up? if so could someone post a link to the site
>>
>>82035444
just get a console my man
pc gaming is not worth it anymore
>>
>>82035147
i think youre getting memed on by a retard but i think most http things use tcp. just fill in the same port for all of them and see if it works

tcp and udp are lower level than http
>>
>>82035520
>I got projects that can't go on my public account
probably misunderstanding but why not just make the repos private on the public account?
>>
>>82035656
Because github can still see that shit. I also contribute to NSFW projects that are public
>>
>>82035391
KYS faggot. There is nothing wrong with Zoom!
>>
>>82034150
I don't think so, unless you share your screen, and if you do they might have the option to control another mouse on it as if it was a second user. But I believe you have to let them do so first.
>>
>>82035444
>well, I pretty much only play AA / AAA games
consider getting better taste
>>
>>82035775
what do you play, indies only? AA is a pretty broad category
>>
>>82035744
Does using it on linux by flatpak offer any protection?
>>
>>82035458
I see, like a monitor within a monitor.
Or just VM machine that's the same as my current system
Why was this made?
What's it's use case?
>>
File: sourcetower.png (594 KB, 1054x874)
594 KB
594 KB PNG
>>82035788
these days, nothing but Cataclysm:DDA, OpenTTD, and Freelancer. Sometimes I'll fuck around with Source SDK when I wanna play digital legos
>>
>>82035721
t. chinese nsa agent
>>
>>82035888
>sourcenigger
kill yourself
>>
File: 1622243867239.jpg (230 KB, 1000x1000)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>82022513
Yo I'm on Win 7, using Shadowplay. The program works perfectly fine for recording and everything, but I want to keep it in the background for the replay feature. I just like it because in case something happens and I miss it I just hit the hotkey and it records the last 15 seconds.

The problem? If Shadowplay is on in the background and I close a program that was producing sound, the last portion of sound is going to hang.
So for example if I'm watching a movie on VLC and there's a guy saying "Hey, how about going to the movies?" and I close VLC while he's midsentence, I'll hear "Hey, how abBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" and this will literally continue until I play another sound.
It's an actual earrape. The only ways to not have this is by turning off Shadowplay which I do not want to do. How do I fix it?
>>
>>82035888
why the fuck is this allowed
>>
>>82035888
big cringe
>>
>>82035858
I remember I mentioned that on some thread a week or so ago; yes it definitely does.
I use a FOSS client (https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams-for-linux), it's written in Electron and apparently it works almost as if it was a browser, and configure it with Flatseal (https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.github.tchx84.Flatseal). That way you can limit the access the client - which isn't Microsoft software itself - has to your machine, including which user directories it can access and other things such as whether it can or can't use the X windowing system. Also, a tip, to have audio working, I believe it is needed to enable the PulseAudio server and have PA running. It was a total hassle trying to get it to work, on my machine at the very least.
Also, note that it helps that way, limiting what the program knows about and can use of your machine, however, what is done inside Microsoft Teams - the same would be as if you were using it in a browser - is still being "recorded" by Teams itself, sent to Microsoft Servers and some of it available for your administrators to see. That cannot be changed.
>>
>>82035888
holy based
checked
>>
>>82035888
DELETE THIS
>>
File: file.png (941 KB, 768x1024)
941 KB
941 KB PNG
couldnt the cops just search the database for license plates that only contained only B, 8, or B and 8?
wouldnt this number plate just make things easier?
>>
>>82036348
they're slightly different. the plate is "88B8B8B"
>>
>>82036430
but its just 8s and bs... couldnt the cops regex for plates that didnt contain any other letters and numbers besides those 2?
>>
can somebody explains me this:
>>> a=[[]]*3
>>> a
[[], [], []]
>>> a[1].append(1)
>>> a
[[1], [1], [1]]

why?
>>
>>82036771
that is Python
>>
where do I go for cracked versions of paid software? I'm looking for PowerISO if it helps
>>
>>82036839
google "<software name> free download" and click the least sketchy looking one. adblock is recommended for this.
>>
>>82036568
His point is that the cops woudn't treat it any different than a regular plate because every letter and number is readable. And a regular cop has never even heard of the word "regex"
>>
>>82036871
they all look pretty sketchy. looking for an alternative
>>
>>82036901
actually my point was that if someone was trying to recall the number plate they would probably say or remember it as a bunch of 8s or a bunch of Bs so wouldnt that just make things easier for the cops than if someone remembered 2 characters of a more ordinary plate number?
>>
File: file.png (2.25 MB, 897x1200)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB PNG
>>82036901
another example, if someone witnessed this car in a drive by shooting they would just need to remember that it was a bunch of 8s and Bs and the csi people will figure out the rest.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.