[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a homeserver?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your /g/ skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: https://anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
https://old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
https://www.labgopher.com
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

Previous Thread >>82006712
>>
Bump for deleting most of my content then selling my HDDs to finally kill my hoarding problem.
>>
>>82016815
the only pitfall of hoarding digitally is the financial cost.
>>
Ok, so from what I understand K8s is primarily for clusters, so it doesn't make much sense if you have just one Raspberry pi being used as a home server. But I have 2 decent PCs at home (both dual-boot). Is it possible to hook them up and use them with Kubernetes? Maybe with some wake-on-lan magic to turn them on/off?
>>
Ever just crave fiber?
I've been watching fiber termination videos for 3 days now.
Absolutely no reason to implement it within my household though.
>>
i'm retarded. something doesn't click in my brain about containers. if i have a bunch of containers that are fighting over published ports (like 443), do i add additional network adapters/ips to the host? or do i need to add more hosts and cluster?
>t. it retard
>>
File: 1222.png (13 KB, 233x60)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
poc1 bby
>>
>>82017771
you can redirect ports when setting up containers or when using compose.
so you can have everything inside the container thinking they have connections from port 443, while you connect to your machine using port 1337.
>>
>>82017918
right, but what if I don't want to use non-standard ports?
>>
>>82018017
Reverse proxy with subdomains
>>
>>82015859
Don't really like these, I prefer LC UPC.

>>82017565
Yup, installed it for the internet facing FTTH and partway inside the home network. It was easier to utilize existing cable channels with the smaller cable and actually doesn't cost that much more if you just use finished cables and don't get a tester.

>>82016815
You will own nothing and YOU WILL BE HAPPY. [No you won't.]
>>
>>82017771
Generally no? Generally you map the "internal" port inside the container to different ports "outside" on the host. So some stuff now doesn't run on 443 on the container host even if inside each individual container it runs on 443.
>>
>>82017771
Each container's get it's own IP address, this is what CNI is for.
>>
>>82018675
>actually doesn't cost that much more if you just use finished cables and don't get a tester
Yup, that's why I'm having fantasies about it, but I haven't got any infrastructure like that around.

No secondary objects to run landlines to, no fixed fiber either. We run on LTE 'cause we're away from anything reasonable.

Fiber is cheap AF. You don't necessarily need a tester, but renting rates for a proper OTDR arn't all that bad either starting at ~60€/day.
>>
>>82018762
> No secondary objects to run landlines to, no fixed fiber either. We run on LTE 'cause we're away from anything reasonable.
So no streets/no wired phone/no on-grid electricity to your place?

>renting rates for a proper OTDR arn't all that bad either starting at ~60€/day.
I don't even know where I'd rent one over here, but it wasn't that relevant in the end. Relying on factory made cables works, LC-UPC connectors aren't that big so pulling them in too isn't usually a huge difference.
>>
>>82018976
>So no streets/no wired phone/no on-grid electricity to your place?
nay
They are pulling fiber, but given that we don't have grid electricity, we're probably off-the-radar for that.

There is a phone line relatively close, but we're too far from the DSLAM so we'd get maybe 3mbps downlink, LTE is definitively superior in both availability and performance.

If I were to pull my own fiber, I'd probably opt for pre-made cables & run them in a nice, wide conduit spanning between ground & 1st floor, just as a backbone. But buying more networking gear right now would just be wasteful, we're well within the capacity of what we've got.

At times I wish I had siblings so I could legitimately deal with actual network requirements at home.
>>
>>82018976
Also, I asked this in /sqt/ a few days ago, but could you perhaps clarify which technologies are even relevant in /fiber/ these days?

Formal education & various cert-related videos contain quite a bit regarding fiber, even stuff that isn't necessarily used anymore.
Looking at prices for singlemode vs multimode, I just don't see the purpose of multimode for SOHO scale projects. LC-UPC also seems like the go-to termination choice; why would one opt for a different sort of connector ever? (Aside from APC for PON I suppose? Though I'm not sure how often that's used either, just don't have the experience)
I had the pleasure of using a fusion splicer once during my formal education, it was nifty and all, but I've seen videos of "toolless" splices, how significant is the insertion loss with those compared to a proper fuse?

While I definitely can rent the OTDR, the same store only sells fusion splicers and boy they arn't cheap. Though honestly, they arn't that expensive either. Considering some wank fluke copper cable certifier costs ~1500€, paying 3-4k€ for a fusion splicer suddenly seems like a bargain if you want to get into that business.
>>
File: pi.jpg (192 KB, 1200x628)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
I want to run a static website and a jellyfin server from a raspberry pi 4 but I'm worried about the security of hosting these. I've heard that bots will sniff around the internet for websites and some are malicious and try to access your home network through the website.

I've read the sticky and have done other research but I just want to know how justified my fears are. I plan on doing some basic security measures but I've never self hosted anything before besides a Minecraft server when I was younger.

Also any tips on self hosting a website/jellyfin server would be appreciated.
>>
>>82015859
Hi again /hsg/
I came here a week ago for advice on building my first but couldn't of a solution that satisfied me.
Anon suggested asking IRC for suggestion but it's completely dead...

Things I looking for
>don't spend too much
>low power consumption
>a case with space for 4 drives
>share my files on the network with samba and whatnot
Things I don't care about
>raid
>>
where is the best place to get a ctemplar referral code?
>>
>>82016815
Well, you done it at the right time anyway.
>>
>>82020090
You should ask in >>>/g/pcbg as that's pretty much every non-gaymin pc. use pcpartpicker.com
>>
>>82019448
Get a router/switch that has vlan support and create a separate network for it. that's pretty much it.
>>82020650
not here anyway, try reddit
>>
>>82021227
But building a PC is going to cost me a lot, isn't it cheaper to just buy a prebuilt nas at that point?
>>
>>82020090
Odroid N2+ or RPi4 then? They actually can even do RAID if you want.

>>82021768
Prebuilt NAS usually cost ~2x as much as a PC with comparable (typically very low) specs.
>>
>>82021985
>Odroid N2+ or RPi4 then?
That's what we were discussing last time, but from what I understand it's going to end up messy
Even if I use a case and a psu to power the hdds, which are all connected by usb, I need to connect 2 ACs and leave the sbc dangling outside, is that right?
>>
Is ubiquity still any good for WiFi access points? Or is there a new brand in town? I remember seeing something about some key engineers leaving a while ago. What about that?
>>
>>82022327
Not really. It's two boxes. A dock/enclosure for HDD plus Odroid N2+ or RPi4 with either one shared PSU (Odroid N2+ can use 12V same as the dock/enclosure) or two PSU. Plus the short USB3 cable between them.

If you want you can also omit the enclosure for the SBC and put it somewhere on or in the dock/enclosure for the HDD if you have a good spot, sure. Whether this dangles in some way is up to you.
>>
>>82017565
I have a pair of 1Gb fibers as an LACP link between my rack and my desk switch.
>>
>>82022565
I thought they were the target of some major hacks recently?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember seeing some videos of some really bad vulnerabilities on them.
>>
>>82020090
Just buy a Qnap or Synology.
You're going to spend some money, but if you go the SBC route you're going to spend close to the same amount of money and twice the amount of time/headaches setting it up.

Only go the SBC route if you really want to set it up yourself and learn the configuring and everything.
>>
File: 1619718764184.png (382 KB, 919x656)
382 KB
382 KB PNG
>just deleted 2 terabytes of TV shows noone ever watched on my server
That's it, I'm switching my media server to "request content before watching" mode. I'll keep adding interesting movies occasionally, biggest premieres, etc., but I'm done with downloading TV shows or less mainstream movies beforehand and hoping it catches someone's attention. Don't worry, I kept the shows which had less than 5 seeders - hopefully at least some private tracker user will benefit from me storing them.
>>
>>82023988
And a follow up question: what do you use for movie/TV requests? Ombi v3 was comfy, and I really don't like how the v4 turned out. I don't need a replacement Jellyfin frontpage, I'm just looking for a simple search box connected to TMDB, Radarr and Sonarr. Even the latter could be missing, just some way to send a notification about new requests to myself (preferably Matrix) would be enough.
Right now I reverted to "message me if you want something", which kinda works, but my users say they really liked Ombi.
>>
File: 1623265028291.gif (1.22 MB, 1900x1425)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB GIF
>>82015859
Hey server bros,

If you wanted to host a video site kinda like YouTube on a home server, what kind of performance could you get on a home gigabit fiber connection? About how many users do you think could stream at the same time, with a 720p video?

Thanks bros.
>>
>>82024076
>About how many users do you think could stream at the same time, with a 720p video?
Varies with quality and codec, but let's just say you're not using AV1 yet and target ~5mbps on hevc or somewhat shittier h.264.

If you assume you can guarantee like 70% of that home gigabit connection to be available for upstream in reality - around 140 people I guess? However home gbps may be worse during peak hours.
>>
>>82024147
BTW that's also what Youtube considers SDR, HDR uploads are 6.5 Mbps. Or 9.5 Mbps with good (for video, so like 50-60fps) frame rates. Up to roughly twice as much data / half the viewers.

Would come down a bit again with better codecs.
>>
>>82015859
Considering I can host a local KMS server like KMS_VL_ALL, is there a way to run a KMS pirate server on my network for all my machines (DCs, laptops, workstations)? I basically want the same setup as a legit KMS, but I don't wanna pay out the ass for E5 or whatever
>>
>>82022565
They're alright. Perfectly fine for home use and you can get away with using them in enterprise. But there's way better gear. I personally don't like their controller software, or their ecosystem. Unifi is well known for having "coming soon (tm)" features that never come out, but their wifi gear is generally pretty good in that regard unlike their routers and switches.

>>82023671
I think it was only for their hosted controller. If you run your own (like you should) there's nothing particularly insecure about unifi. The hack was some boomer leaving open his lastpass on a compromised laptop with passwords to the shit they run.
>>
File: 1420745683998.png (34 KB, 272x287)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
OK someone explain to me how the fuck IPtables is supposed to work. Running a proxmox box behind a single public IP. My etc/network/interfaces file contains a line like this for forwarding port 6000 to the container with that IP.
All per proxmox wiki.

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p [tcp/udp] --dport 6000 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.10.10.100:6000

If I nmap from the host I get.

root@~# nmap 10.10.10.100 -p 6000
Starting Nmap 7.70 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-06-11 06:56 UTC
Nmap scan report for 10.10.10.100
Host is up (0.000059s latency).

PORT STATE SERVICE
6000/tcp open X11
MAC Address: (randomly generated MAC)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.57 seconds
root@:~# nmap (public IP)
Starting Nmap 7.70 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-06-11 06:56 UTC
Nmap scan report for (public IP)
Host is up (0.000051s latency).

PORT STATE SERVICE
6000/tcp closed X11

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.28 seconds

Host can connect to the outside world just fine. Can see other stuff on the subnet... but it seems unable to forward ports.
>>
>>82017445
You can have a single node cluster running on one machine, but yes, Kubernetes is typically for distributed work orchestration. Essentially 1 node is 1 computer. You could conceivably set up a VM to be a worker node, and that’s what you could do for your own server rack, but it’s still one point of failure and you’re fucked. Docker is all you really need for a single computer or even two computer setup. Once you get deeper into automating many tasks, then you’d move into Kubernetes world.
>>
>>82026004

People are turning against Unifi not because they are afraid of the hack, but rather the way the company handled it. Also I heard there are ads in their interface?
>>
>>82017445
It is an option even on one machine and you sure can just orchestrate two machines.

That said maybe the [typically quite a lot] simpler podman is enough?
>>
I'm a telecommunications engineer by education & starting my first proper job as a system engineer in July.

Got any pointers? I'm really not sure what to expect as it's a starting position without a fixed field; they're going to be training a bunch of young folk & placing us into positions we're best suited for.

In my CV and during the interview I've expressed my knowledge and desire for working with either Linux based systems or general networking.
>>
File: after_before.jpg (1.45 MB, 2880x1996)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
made a shelf so i could fit the big box inside the closet. now just have to figure out how to get some airflow in there (shit cooks the HDDs if i close it)
>>
>>82026004
>But there's way better gear.
Like what?
>>
>>82027906
> now just have to figure out how to get some airflow in there (shit cooks the HDDs if i close it)
Remove the doors or replace them with mesh doors, assuming you can find one in that size.
>>
I want to rewire my house. The plan is 3 ethernet cables to each room from a PoE switch. What should I do about the garden shed? One wire to shed with switch inside, or 3 wires from house PoE switch to shed?
>>
>>82028487
Does the shed have it's own electricity?
What's going to be running inside of the shed?

If you have electricity in there I'm biased towards just running fiber between the house & shed, mitigating lightning-related damage to your network. It's also cool as frick.
>>
>>82028487
>giving access to your home network from outside your house.

I hope you will put this line on an isolated network.
>>
>>82027316
>>82027545
Makes sense, thanks.
Maybe I should describe what I want to do. I'm thinking about running an CoCalc instance (primarily for Jupyter/Python kernels) and I want to be able to use my main PC for heavy computations. But most of the time the Raspi is enough, so I want to do it only when I have to. So, I was thinking about setting up some way to remote boot my main PC, sync the CoCalc instance and redirect there. But now I'm reading more into the problem and I might go with a remote kernel solution instead.
>>
>>82028469
would like doors on for some noise reduction, but i dont think they're standard width unfourtunately, or at least not the most popular standard.

i was thinking of drilling out some holes in the bottom lip that hangs out over the floor, and maybe up into the little space on-top, and i could remove or replace those little doors instead.
>>
How can I learn to hack my home server, I want to learn its flaws so I can fix them.
>>
>>82015859
My ISP keeps changing my public IP. Every time I need to change the IP what the domain points to. Any idea for fixing it?
>>
>>82028785
Dynamic DNS
>>
Is there a good light monitoring suite? A full Grafana stack is a pain in the ass, and CheckMK is overkill for a handful of hosts (and gobbles a dumb amount of memory).

Something like Monit with SNMP would be great.
>>
>>82028785
call them and ask for a static ip or do this >>82028804
>>
>>82028572
I'm planning on a Wifi AP, Cisco phone and a CCTV camera in the shed, both of which would be PoE. If I only have one cable or fibre I need a another PoE switch for the shed.
>>
>>82029140
How far away is the shed?
The requirement for a phone and WiFi AP makes my distance sense tingle. Be sure you're not exceeding 802.3af/at distance limitations of 100 meters (328 feet)
>>
>>82022973
>enclosure
I need space for four HDDs

Can I connect the odroid to a regular PC PSU?
>>82023702
How big of a price difference are we talking about?
Are there disadvantages of NAS compared to the SBC/NUC approach?
>>
>>82029394
around 50m. I think it is the combination of walls that causes Wifi problems
>>
>>82029426
I'm still biased towards fiber as once again, it's cool as heck & lightning mitigation
But between running one run of copper & a second PoE switch vs. running 3 lines of copper and keeping your existing PoE switch in-house, I'd definitely opt for the latter.
>>
>>82029458
>>82029426
Oh and if you do opt for copper & a "long distance" PoE run, be mindful of the cable you're buying.

Do *not* buy CCA and purchase the thickest wire gauge cabling you have available. Less resistance on your runs, less losses on your PoE
>>
>>82029531
i'd just run a single cable and use a POE switch at each end... running more than one cable thru the walls sounds retarded.
best long term solution would be to run optical (glass or plastic) to each room.
>>
>>82029713
I was referring to the shed job specifically.
Pulling three cables through a relatively straight conduit isn't much harder than pulling one, hence House <------> Shed route seems reasonable to just run three lines. Heck, even if he opts to put a PoE switch in the shed, why not pull extra infrastructure while he's at it?

Obviously there's more to it than just the landline. If OP has his PoE switch in a central room of the house, on the top floor & has to bust through 20 walls to run the cable out, then the practicality of multiple lines diminishes since the task becomes a bit of a bitch.

But we don't really know that yet.

I'm still with the fiber gang.
>>
>>82023988
>hosting for anybody but yourself
seems like a huge pain in the ass
>>
>>82029857
Not really, if people come and say what they want it's easy - add the movie to Radarr, start auto search or pick a release manually, done. If you use a request frontend like Ombi and have great sources, it can run 100% unattended. The hard part is what I mentioned - trying to guess what people will like before they tell you. There's big money in such recommendation systems to be honest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix_Prize
So yeah, my own streaming service might not be better in all aspects than commercial ones, gotta acknowledge that and stop trying to prove otherwise.
>>
>>82019448
virtualize your internet exposed service and you should be fine. Also monitor your packages, your service and the libraries it depends on for new CVE vulns. I highly recommend you subscribe to a CVE rss feed or subscribe to the debian security mailing list.
>>
Hi, me and my friends want to create our first home server to self-host Matrix with Element for maximum 50 people (probably less).

We wanted to first try with an old laptop, but if it works, do you think we could keep it at least for a year or so ? or should we replace it quickly with a SBC to be able to use it for a long time ? (We plan to first test out on the laptop by using Debian)

We were also not sure if it really was necessary to pay for a domain name. Isn't it a bit useless since we can just use the IP adress ? (yeah i know we're cheap fucks) Are there any potential security issues ?

Is there anything else we have to be cautious about ? Any tips will be greatly appreciated, it's the first time we do something like this.
>>
need some advice. I have an older intel 1U server (S2600GZ 2x e5-2560 48gb) attached to a sas jbod. Works great for my torrents, plex, etc shit like that

However, recently I started needing a few windows VMs for research, and the performance is quite poor (especially over rdp). It's not the disks - I think the compute is just too old. I want some cheap hardware that will be able to get decent windows perf in VMs.

Should I get a pussy nuc and just use it for VMs over NFS from the 1u+JBOD , or should I cop a completely new server to replace this ancient sandy-bridge era pos. preferably under 1k usd
>>
>>82030337
you can get around paying by using a service like DuckDNS.
And no you won't be able to avoid this by just using IP address because your internet provider changes your IP somewhat often and that would lead to connection problems. A domain basically is an easy-to-remember and fixed address that something like DuckDNS will update automatically to the IP of the server when clients attempt to connect.
>>
anyone got any clues as to why random windows stop responding just from switching tabs inside a program (even just the resource monitor etc) on my TrueNAS box?
The pool is on a NVMe and shit got 8 first gen threadripper threads and 24GB RAM that's barely used...
Tried googling but i just get unrelated shit about hard freezes.
>>
>>82030456
you can get free ones from places like Afraid FreeDNS
>>
>>82030467
fuck, forgot to say it's a Windows Server 2019 VM
>>
Do you guys recommend NixOS for my server? (rasp4B)
>>
Is it worth colocating or just renting a server instead?
I want to host some stuff but my internet is pretty bad so thats just stopping me from keeping everything at home
>>
>>82015859
Seriously, who's still using SC?
>>
>>82030522
servers aren't just for hosting external services. it can be local only.

nothing on my server is publicly exposed.
>>
>>82030456
>>82030476

Thanks a lot ! We didn't know it changed regularly
>>
>>82030729
it doesnt, it's irregular.
>>
>>82030852
yeah I get it, that's not what I meant
>>
Torn between buying a NEW notebook with a pentium N4200 processor from a store VS. buying a USED notebook with a I3-4000M processor from the internet.
What would you do?
>>
>>82031005
post my fucking budget to get actual fucking advice that's relevant, that's what i would do
>>
>>82031005
>>82031044
Both options are around the same price, around $400 (using a converter). I've been looking at options below $500 because I'm on a tigh budget, but I'm concerned about about the long run and I read anything below i3 or ryzen 3 may not last too long.
>>
>>82031166
you can get a used thinkpad with a newer chip for that.
>>
>>82031166
>>82031205
also yes you should be worried about longevity, those two options you posted are not great in this day and age and not even very power efficient.
look at refurbished thinkpads, elitebooks etc.
>>
So about to rebuild the NAS moving from a 10 based NAS (I was studying HyperV and needed it at the time) and looking to move to TrueNAS. So far I have it up and running well on my test bed machine since I am waiting on the HBA to come in to replace my RAID card. Looking to have this box seed, run VMs, and set up like my windows box was, etc.

Anyone have any good to know info, things they wish they knew when they first set theirs up? Been around the TrueNAS forums, vids and reading the documentation but always open to more good info.
>>
>>82031237
dont run it on a USB.
pool scrubbing takes down everything while running.
The VM interface says you have no available RAM after a while despite having plenty.
If you want to add more drives to an existing pool you'll have to add an identical amount as you already have.
>>
>>82031205
>>82031232
Thanks a lot.
>>
are there any serious privacy concerns with TLD's registered with a five eyes country like a british carribbean island TLD? As long as proper encryption is used are there any concerns?
>>
>>82019448
Put the webserver in a DMZ network segment so that even if it gets compromise, they can't get to the rest of your network. Some routers have firmware that makes it really easy.
>>
>>82031297
Sweet! Good info and yeah with the USB one going to have it on a 120GB SATA SSD. Ask for the RAM I'm hoping I'll have enough I'm running 48 gigs so I mean that should be enough for 16.5 terabytes. Have to ask is the SLOG worth it? I have an M.2 coming in for it today but is it worth using or not?
>>
>>82027804
Don’t be like the lazy shit boomers who are training you. They do a bunch of busy work diagrams and design to make it look like they’re really doing a lot, but in reality, they’re wasting company money. The more you kick ass, the more the other departments will appreciate you specifically. Fuck System Engineers, lazy fuckers.
>>
>>82028729
Pen testing tools and OWASP analyzers are a start.
>>
When the fuck are “server” motherboard manufacturers going to support Ryzen Threadripper gen3’s? I saw a great deal on a 2970WX, but perusing SuperMicro and a few other manufacturers, no one supports the TR4 socket, just AMD EPYC.
>>
>>82032176
> gen3
Gen2*
>>
>>82030644
I am aware of that but I want to host stuff on the internet
>>
>>82018723
>>82018693
>>82018415
ok I had a feeling that this is what I was supposed to do but thanks for confirming
>>
How hot do 8-10TBs drives run? I don't have AC and don't want them to melt.
>>
File: Proliant_G6.jpg (195 KB, 1200x900)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Would you buy this?

HP Proliant DL380 G6 w/ four 36 GB 10k SAS HDDs and four 146 GB 10k SAS HDDs, 8 GB RAM

I'm getting the above plus a G5 (unknown RAM, eight 72 GB 10K SAS HDDs) and a catalyst switch for $300 from craigslist.

Does anyone know if these are decent servers? Are they very loud? Good for virtualization?
>>
>>82016815
Send me your hard drives.
>>
>>82032406
About the same as any 3.5" device, they produce a bunch of watt waste heat.

>>82032540
Power inefficient trash, that's why it was decommissioned. Don't get this kind of a machine for server 24/7 operation. If you turn it on a few moments to do something, that's different.
>>
>>82032540
It's not bad but know that you will max out at 12c/24t total. I ran a 710 till last when I moved to a 720 same thing just Dell vs HP. For 300 that isn't bad, I would ewaste the G5 so fast! Hot, slow, power hungry, etc 771 isn't worth it the 2950s are infamous for their loud proud and power hungry nature.
>>
>>82032540
Fuck no it'll get outperformed by a fucking office PC with a TB SSD.
>>
>>82032764
>>82032727
>>82032717
okay but if I upgraded the RAM in the G6 to 96 GB and then put proxmox on it and over time upgraded the SAS drives...
>>
>>82032855
No
Just get literally anything else.
>>
>>82032877
okay let's say you have a $500 budget, what would you recommend for a virtualization server
>>
>>82033025
https://xtremeownage.com/2020/07/24/closet-mini-server-build/
>>
>>82033025
Nothing that pointlessly burns 150-250 money units on power costs yearly while delivering processing power like an i3 or APU Ryzen or something, that's for sure. Better just build an i3 or APU Ryzen or something, heh.
>>
>>82015859
Proxmox or something else if I want to set it as VM lab primarily?
>>
>>82033335
proxmox, and put everything you fuckin' can in a lxc container.
>>
>>82032540
its ewaste anon,
>>
>>82033915
;_;
>>
>>82033362
not the best advice, LXC containers have more security concerns than VM's. Worth doing some research to learn what makes sense to run on LXC vs. VM
>>
>>82034124
politely disagree. proxmox has solid defaults for its lxc containers.

if you choose to go outside of those defaults, it's as easy as defining a new apparmor profile and setting it in the /etc/pve/lxc config for the container.
>>
>>82033915
>>82033178
okay I told that lady to figure something else out, I'm not buying that stuff.
>>
>>82019448
You could check out using something like Cloudflare's argo.
>>
Have NAS
How to make NAS animu be available outside home
>>
>>82034712
define "available"
>>
>>82034822
mount the samba share so i can access the files
>>
File: E3cNb81WQAYVSyp.jpg (111 KB, 1123x842)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>having 2 network cabinets in the building.
>summer comes
>added a new server and a new cisco into secodn cabinet.
2 days ago I was wondering if I go further with the same solution as with the 1st cabinet:
- Pico ATX PSU
- 220 to 12V power supply
- 2 fans
It works fine like this for 7 years.

or buying a https://www.amazon.com/ELUTENG-Powered-Controler-Receiver-Computer/dp/B08CRHMQ4M

I finally chose the expensive solution:
https://aliexpress.com/item/32816006065.html
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B001W3UYLY/
+ 2 PWM fans
+ ESP8266 +DHT22 + some mosfet to raise and lower the fan speed depending of T°.
+ an electrical box to hold the shit and prevent short circuits.
Awaiting parts now.
>>
>>82034866
are you asking how to setup samba or make it available from outside your lan cus they're very different things and the latter is not really how you're supposed to use samba and you should just install plex or jellyfin instead...
>>
>>82034302
Good decision.

>>82034712
IMO Jellyfin / SMB / sshfs -either or all- via wireguard for security and privacy.
>>
>>82034866
>mount smb
>over the internet
Don’t do this, but the easiest way would be to set up a vpn.
>>
>>82035268 (cont'd)
Oh and also afraid.org / duckdns or other method to make your server reachable under the same domain name if your IP isn't static (on IPv6 it might be, on IPv4 that's less frequently the case).
>>
>>82035284
>Don’t do this
Sure do it? It's basically no problem at all via wireguard.
>>
Monke question but is it possible to set up some NAS/Homeserver that can stream 4k to my Smart TV?

I want some way to _torrent_ 4k movies and watch them on my 4k TV without moving it onto an seperare Drive.

Nigger
>>
>>82035409
>Monke question but is it possible to set up some NAS/Homeserver that can stream 4k to my Smart TV?
Yes, in most cases smart tv support a jellyfin/plex app or upnp dlna which also can be streamed from the aforementioned plus from readymedia and kodi and other services.

*that said I hate most smart TV operating espionage ad delivery systems that are abandoned after 2y and pretty much always would recommend using your own HTPC ASAP
>>
Should I be virtualizing everything?
Currently running all must services on bare metal.
Never looked into virtualization and I dont understand how to setup nginx with multiple docker shits without getting port errors n stuff
>>
>>82035738
>Should I be virtualizing everything?
No, the virtualization meme is actually mostly dead except in specific niches. Running a full computer simulation to run each service (or group of services) is wasteful, inflexible, and more difficult to handle (e.g. for backups or migration to make use of free resources among a group of servers).

What's really quite practical is running containers. Podman/docker/lxd/k8s or whatever it is for you. For me it's podman and podman or docker-compose to have declarative configs rather than scripts.
>>
>>82033178
thinking about trying to build my own tiny 1 or 1.5U rackmount virtualization server instead. I've never built a computer from scratch before but I used to work at a computer repair shop so I've been inside of plenty, although nothing recent.

I think I'll probably run into the limits of RAM on some of the motherboards though, but if I can find something that'll at least go to 64 GB I should be fine.
>>
>>82035738
>I dont understand how to setup nginx with multiple docker shits without getting port errors n stuff
This is rather simple though. The ports IN the container usually can't collide. You can run 1000 instances of a nginx servers nginx-wise configured with ports 80 and 443 and it's all fine.

Meanwhile the "external" host side port assignment is explicit anyhow. So you do 1515:80 and 1516:443 if you want to to map the ports.

Of course particularly for HTTP and such, it's common to just have some proxy / cert management instance (nginx, traefik, cargo)... running at 80 and 443 and redirecting to other servers.
>>
>>82035796
>I've never built a computer from scratch before but I used to work at a computer repair shop so I've been inside of plenty, although nothing recent.
A halfwit can do this these days, almost everything is color and shape coded and pretty much everything is compatible (plus it's easy to check what should be compatible). Once plugged in, pretty much every piece of hardware auto-configures to reasonable settings.

> I think I'll probably run into the limits of RAM on some of the motherboards though, but if I can find something that'll at least go to 64 GB I should be fine.
64GB is quite easy to get even on a mATX build. Not that I say you likely need 64GB.
>>
File: 1619872522846.jpg (557 KB, 800x1131)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
I was fiddling around with an old raspberry pi 3b i had laying around, but the version of raspbian that shipped with noobs was a huge pain to deal with, apt was being really annoying. I tried the arm port of arch and was able to get stuff working, but still run into issues with systemd. Any suggestions on how to get my 3B running a distro that just werks?
>>
>>82035901
> raspberry pi 3b
IMO not worth the time, but my guess is that armbian or arch might work best, yes.

>still run into issues with systemd
Like what? This should basically configure and work the same on ARM as on x86_64.
>>
>>82035875
yah it seems like things are easier, modular power supplies, no need to muck around with DIP switches, configurator things online tell you if things are compatible.
>>
>>82035901
Man, I want to suck Satania's breasts.
>>
>>82035942
i recall often getting systemd core dumps appearing in stdout.

the 3b is pretty old, but it should at least function as a pihole or email server right?
>>
I know fuck all about networks. Is there a good book or something or there for people like me?
>>
>>82036028
>i recall often getting systemd core dumps appearing in stdout.
Not very specific. So wasn't it possible to simply ignore them?

>the 3b is pretty old, but it should at least function as a pihole or email server right?
Yes, it should. Of course you can also do this on the spare resources of just about any more current device, but go for it.
>>
>>82036104
There is generally more like one book or one series of books per networking protocol (these are layered, quite a bunch of layers until you're at what a web server does - and the protocols the web shit uses are also a few thousand pages of specs).

Also basically one book per OS firewall/networking stack when you get down to it.

You probably need to identify what specific part you want/need to learn for what protocol and go from there. IPv4 != IPv6 != TCP != QUIC and so on and so forth.
>>
>>82036185
damn, really a can of worm then eh.
thanks.
>>
>>82028403
Ruckus makes excellent shit. I've heard good things about Meraki/Cisco too, just that their licensing model sucks. But Ruckus for sure has a better controller, and better antenna tech than Unifi. The highest end Unifi stuff doesn't cut it in high-density high interference environments. Again, NOT your house I'm strictly talking enterprise. If you can justify the price/license of their hardware controller, you can pick up cheap used APs on ebay and get a cheaper better performing Wifi network than Unifi if you use 5 or less APs.

In my opinion, Unifi is only worth it if you're buying into the whole ecosystem with routers and switches, or you need a shit ton of APs for cheap and don't want to deal with licensing.
>>
>>82036274
How much testing was done to come to the conclusion that either of these is particularly good?

I never really noticed high density routers holding up much better than the faster open sauce firmware powered consumer routers. By how they also have MIMO and most possible methods to try and reduce the impact of congestion and what not.
>>
Why can't I use Windows as an OS for my anime streaming box?
>>
how powerful does your server need to be to run a mail server ? for whatever reason I can send mail but not receive it. gmail reports back: The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect (timed out).

ive tried everything to get it going and now im wondering if my VPS isn't powerful enough? sorry if this is beyond the scope of the general.
>>
>>82036404
>How much testing was done to come to the conclusion that either of these is particularly good?
Professional experience from working with both. I've been in situations where Unifi is faster to fail, or doesn't perform nearly as well as Ruckus when interference is high. Be it from electrical equipment or areas with lots of other pollution from shitty wifi (commieblocks, office complexes). But in the typical faggot's household, it's generally not a factor.
>>
>>82034994
Latter, I don't about those media suits, file explorer is enough for me.
>>82035268
How hard is it to setup this wireguard thing for a complete noob? Do I have to buy a subscription?
For reference I know just enough to install and configure Samba.
>>
>>82036550
nobody is stopping you
>>82036591
a potato can run it. very likely a configuration issue.
>>
>>82036591
Next to no resources at all by current computer standards. But email is a system where burger and indian spam companies produced so much spam that most servers basically whitelist (autoblacklist) rather than allow mail to just work. You get automatically put into spam or completely refused by many. Ip range bans for whole countries and vps hosts, domain/server whitelists...
>>
>>82036727
Just wondering why Gentoo flat out says "Don't use Windows". How limited is it?
>>
>>82036741
>>82036727
I figured as much...I've been stuck on this for days. I was following luke smiths guide. In addition to the guide:

I got an SMTP unlock from the VPS provider
I changed my iptables settings to open up the various ports.
i opened up /etc/nginx/nginx.conf to change a setting (listen localhost: 143 to 993)
TLS settings seem good in nginx.conf too
>>
Do any of you guys use Ombi?
>>
>>82036716
>How hard is it to setup this wireguard thing for a complete noob?
Depends on how well you can follow tutorials and whether you know the networking basics.

Generally it's pretty straight forward, you set up a config for an ip address/subnet and key (on either end) and then that brings up the wireguard interfaces. Open up the wireguard port at the actual physical interface if it's firewalled and traffic can flow. WG tells you status information if you ask it.

This can be done on practically any operating system, even on your OpenWRT router (but also BSD, Android, whatever).
>>
>>82036716
>Do I have to buy a subscription?
Oh and no. It's just open sauce software. Unless you want some external machine to redirect traffic, you don't need a subscription.
>>
>>82038231
>Depends on how well you can follow tutorials
I can!
>and whether you know the networking basics.
Eeee... I know how to connect with ssh I guess.
Do I need to enable some special firewall configs?
>>
Anyone here familiar with Linuxserver's Swag container?

I'm trying to figure out how I can get it to renew certificates for my XMPP server inside a VM. I think it's mainly designed to only renew certs for containers on the same docker network.
>>
>>82038424
>Do I need to enable some special firewall configs?
No, not special. Just expose the single port Wireguard needs, UDP 51820 by default (as with many services, it doesn't matter much if you pick another port).

[You also can't block the virtual wg0 network card's ports, but since that interface will just be added as WG runs only the stricter configurations would do that, maybe you have to unblock nothing there.]
>>
>>82035875
idk for work I have to spin up VMs pretty frequently and because one of the apps is coded in java the system requirements are like a massive amount of RAM, like 72 GB recommended. Hypothetically I won't need that much because I won't have any production data going through it but idk it might be necessary to simulate the throughput.
>>
>>82039275
> work needs 72 GB of RAM for a Java application
That sounds like one absolutely shitty monolithic piece of crap. Do you work with boomers that just can’t comprehend Separation of Concerns and Single Responsibility principles? “One server application is all we need!” That type?
>>
File: Capture.png (37 KB, 1903x1053)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
I might have broken something here......
>>
File: Capture.png (120 KB, 1915x1073)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>82039684
well I think it might be time to reinstall on that box.
>>
>>82035781
I see, is there any particular container I should be using? Was taking a look around and lxc doesn't seem to be too bad. Probably docker I suppose since everything uses it
>>82035824
Ok that makes more sense, I was trying to overthink things then. Shouldn't be too hard to get used to
>>
im getting this error in my mail.log ...for a mail server. perhaps the reason im not receiving mail

warning: TLS library problem: error:14209102:SSL routines:tls_early_post_process_client_hello:unsupported protocol:.../ssl/statem/statem_srvr.c:1661

I've changed my TLS settings to include TLSv1.2 and everything prior... wondering what i should be doing next since im still not getting mail
>>
>>82039825
>I see, is there any particular container I should be using?
You probably pretty much always use OCI compatible containers, but as the thing to manage them I prefer podman and podman- or docker-compose [it can use the latter].

Docker is almost the same. I think they're even adding userspace containers at some point? Podman already has them and better output and systemd service integration (which can also auto-update containers) and stuff and things and generally is cleaner and more verbose - so I prefer it.
>>
>>82038471

I think you can renew a cert and have the subdomain/subfolder point to other devices within your local network. Just change the proxy conf to point to the VM’s ip and port?
>>
>>82019257
Everything enterprise is going to LC. ST is still used a fair amount in telecom/long haul. Most APC connectors I've seen are SC.
ST/SC is more durable than LC.

Multimode is useful for short run high speed applications, especially when you have lots of nodes, like a server farm. A 100Gbit multimode SFP is ~$100, the shortest range single mode one is $200. That makes a big difference when you're buying 2000 of them for your server farm.
Inertia is the other thing keeping multimode going. My org uses fiber to the desktop, and we're sticking with multimode in the walls (from switch to desktop) for this coming refresh. The cost to replace hundreds of NICs and media converters with single mode ones is huge and unnecessary. The existing OM1 will support 10G if needed in the future, and by the time that isn't enough, the buildings will be due for a full remodel.

If you're looking to get into fiber as a career, I'd recommend getting in with a local company to get experience, and then starting your own business. Experience is absolutely crucial in this field.

If anyone wants to know more about fiber optic anything, ask away.
>>
>>82030522
Be realistic about what you're going to host. If your internet is shit then realize that you're not going to be hosting videos, but other services may be possible as a single user or two thing.
>>
>>82035580
Thanks I'll look online about that topic
>>
>>82037378
I did use v3, dropped after v4 happened. Now searching for something that looks like v3, while every other request system seems to be a v4 clone. What the fuck man.
>>
>>82027294
>OK someone explain to me how the fuck IPtables is supposed to work
No one actually knows anon
>>
>>82032176
Threadrippers seem to be more of a prosumer thing, servers use EPYC.
>>
File: 1622258332321.gif (34 KB, 350x350)
34 KB
34 KB GIF
>>82031835
not to say diagrams are bad.

your people will lov e you if you document and diagram well. nobody hates people who record everything except coke-heads who think its a waste of time.

i work at an isp and at every fucking step i have to figure out what the fuck the prior guy was thinking to break it so bad.

my trick is i document IN the configuration files.
>>
>>82035303
smb protocol sucks over the internet, is why. its built for lans.

you'll get better performance with sshfs or an ftps or something.

my knowledge could be out of date.
>>
>>82039721
that looks liek a problem with the terminal

don't cat/grep binaries.
>>
>>82039865
is your openssl up to date? does your openssl support the TLS that your SMTP server does?
>>
>>82039971
to put it into perspective:
docker company went under and were bought out and i haven't checked but there's not been a huge improvement in a while

podman is made by redhat. let that sink in.

alternatively, lxc/lxd is nice.
>>
when writing pf rules, when do you block packets IN and when do you block packets OUT? cannot wrap my head around this because I can't think of a scenario where you would choose to defer blocking a packet from until its going OUT of the firewall.
>>
>>82041358
I was the (You)
I appreciate your input! Very helpful content.

I happen to also be >>82027804
Essentially I intend to have an afternoon business paired with my day job (not immediately, but in the near future). Getting a contractor license with a day job would only tax me for ~70€/month and I reckon if I were to take it seriously, I could bring home a *currency* or two extra to boost the whole my-own-house fund.

I first need some property of my own of course, since you need it as a guarantee when self-employed.
>>
>>82042956
What's wrong with v4 bro?
>>
>>82046577
I described it in >>82024033. Maybe not wrong, just personal preference - I'd call it bloated.
>>
>>82015859
What license agreement should I look for if I want to deploy a foss app for my business?
>>
>>82047136
AGPLv3+NIGGER-only
>>
>>82045855
I think you're misunderstanding the rules, out means packet originating from a network that the firewall is a part of, in means packet coming in from an outside network.
>>
File: 3lccRv8.png (268 KB, 2047x1291)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
How do you feel about Unraid?
>>
anyone experienced the mouse cursor just stop working in a truenas VM (except for ubuntu last year it's not the same issue as im running windows server) ?
>>
>>82047756
>out means packet originating from a network that the firewall is a part of
firewalls are part of two networks, son.
>>
>>82047893
For me it's worth the money, it's easy and it works.
>>
>>82047893
The UI you posted looks nice, I like how it combines VMs, Docker containers, and storage in a single panel. I prefer free solutions though, so I rolled my own software setup instead, with the added bonus of learning the underlying tech.
>>
File: meditate.jpg (638 KB, 1280x1112)
638 KB
638 KB JPG
hi /hsg/ i have two stupid questions about about local ips

1. the amount of sbcs running servers in my possesion has grown, is there a "standard" method for organizing ips? should i keep servers in a specific range or just use whatever address dhcp gives.

2. i recently setup a pi hole, which can manage dhcp itself. i want to get a dd-wrt router soon but am currently using my isp provided modem/router. which would make more sense to use as my dhcp server between the pihole or the isp modem?
>>
File: MILF.png (93 KB, 1100x1050)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
What sites does /hsg/ host?
>>
File: 1623508290314.jpg (431 KB, 1996x2662)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
What can I use to torrent?
Is it okay to just get a raspberry pi that can download something in the background while hooked up to 1-2 drives?
>>
>>82048723
generally you would like to have static addresses with DNS records for your servers so that it all resolves correctly and consistently

then you have your dhcp subnet for clients or if you have flat network you just carve out small set of dynamic IPs for laptops, tvs and whatnot

you can use Bind on Linux server if no desire to have your homelab in AD but I do have all my stuff in homelab.local windows domain

Now when you graduate from single subnet you can do some segmentation to have your client, server,management, storage, vmotion networks in their own subnets
>>
>>82049639
pretty much anything depending on the client you use and the amount of torrents you will have active.
RPi is more than fine for that. My old box was a Pentium D with four WD Greens in a Raid5 running qbittorrent on Debian.
>>
>>82049639
>What can I use to torrent?
>Is it okay to just get a raspberry pi that can download something in the background while hooked up to 1-2 drives?

although I am running full blown docker vm, you should be able to use raspberry pi with docker and qbittorent
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/qbittorrent
nordvpn with SOCKS5 set to Atlanta seems to be working just fine for me
>>
>>82049639
>What can I use to torrent?
Windows or a Linux-based distribution?
>Is it okay to just get a raspberry pi that can download something in the background while hooked up to 1-2 drives?
I wouldn't use a raspi, because it's so easy just to do without it. I'm sure you could use a raspi with a VPN/proxy and some configuration, but it's up to you.
What is that drink and why do you have so much of it?
>>
>>82047893
good entrylevel into containers thanks to user friendly gui
thinking of getting another hardware server (supermicro, cisco c240m4) to feed all of my mixed size harddrives and use it as some sort of cold storage for backups and testbed
>>
>>82049687

>What is that drink and why do you have so much of it?

Thankfully it's not mine.
It's some poison people drink on reddit.
It's called onions.
Just found the image.
>>
>>82049671
I see.
Currently just got PIA but that also should be fine.
Mhmhmmmmm thinking about Deluge to torrent.
>>
>>82049952
heard deluge is better at seeding. i barely get any upload with qbt
>>
File: 2021-06-12_19-56-54.png (36 KB, 379x569)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>82050541
it depends on the kind of proxy\vpn you are using I suppose.
deluge as a docker consistently stalls for me

pic related qb recently setup with nordvpn proxy
>>
>>82050771
im not using proxy or vpn.
>>
>>82050795
>>82050771
and im not using containers or anything.
>>
>>82015859
Finally, a thread that didn't die before 100 replies - good job OP.
>>
>>82050795
you are torrenting without vpn, good for you, where you at? Here in US you will get letter from your ISP if or when your IP is scraped on some of the popular movie\series uploads
>>
>>82050873
Sweden. My ISP are bros, they're one of the few that actually give a fuck about online privacy and have lobbied for it and against copyjews.
>>
>>82050886
>>82050873
also helps i almost only get stuff from private trackers.
>>
File: 1621070477244.jpg (30 KB, 346x574)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
What distro is good for a Linux beginner to learn not only Linux but also provides flexibility with server related software? I'm attending classes for IT related programs in the next year or so, I just want a head start on learning Linux and getting the hang of it. For personal projects I want to host private websites just to mess around with and probably a PLEX server later on to stream movies/shows to friends and family remotely. Besides those two, what are some good easy projects someone with little experience can try and do that don't require me to spend tons of money? Anything would help greatly, thanks anons
>>
>>82051156
Never mind on half my post, I'm blind lmao, OP has a github with tons of info on projects that would cool to try out. Still curious about what distro to go for though.
>>
>>82051175
"easiest" distro is ubuntu; if you want a little less handholding try debian which ubuntu is based on
>>
What are some essential Unraid containers?

https://unraid.net/community/apps

(scroll down a bit to see them)
>>
>>82051186
debian seems good, I want something beginner friendly but at the same time will actually provide something valuable to learn. Thanks!
>>
>>82051238
Debian is solid, have fun anon.
>>
>>82050873
Im in the US and not once have I got a letter.
>>
>>82051156
Ubuntu Server
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 (you get 16 free enterprise nodes with free subscription)
SUSE

working at one of the largest financial companies in US, one of Fortune 30 companies and those 3 distros are main flavors used on ~30k servers

>>82051463
while I lived in Orlando, Spectrum turned off my connection until I called and told them legend of my passwordless guest wifi that was so rudely exploited by neighbors.
All for Frozen and Wreck it Ralph in good quality for my kid
>>
>>82049337
Does anyone here host public sites on their home connection anyway? I thought it's mostly private ones - streaming service, cloud, maybe some communicator.
>>
>>82052954
I do host couple of personal websites and landing pages for my 4 LLCs over my Verizon Fios connection in northern virginia

something along the lines
https://github.com/evertramos/docker-wordpress

all ssl auto renewed
python script in an hourly cron job checks if my public ip have changed and does Route53 API update for domains

on a backend it all runs in an Ubuntu VM running inside of Vmware DRS cluster on 3x Cisco C240M4S
>>
>>82052954
I think most residential ISP's don't allow you to do such things. If it's low traffic it probably won't matter, but I imagine something with thousands of daily visitors will eventually trip their radar. Typically you have to upgrade to a business line if you plan on doing things of that nature.

To answer your question, no I don't host anything. My upload is too shit for it anyway. I thought about publicly exposing some services so I can access them from my phone, but it feels pointless and not worth the increased risk.

My server is basically just:
1. mass file storage
2. network camera
3. home automation
4. torrenting
5. plex/local streaming
>>
I'm giving my accounts the role to access my ftp server, but it doesn't let them in till I restart my whole network

Would a gpudate /force fix this? Don't want to restart everything every time
>>
>>82031348
there are no privacy concerns regarding any tld because if you have privacy concerns then you're doing something illegal and all you need to do is not put your real name and address when you register the domain and follow your regular opsec procedures
the only concern with domains is how quickly the registrar is going to kill it when they receive an abuse complaint
>>
>>82024033
>>82046631
>>82042956
Why not just pull an older docker image and not update it?
>>
File: harnas_2.jpg (35 KB, 601x743)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Hi guyz.
I have a RPi3B+. I wanted to attach 2 cheap 500gb HDDs in RAID1 and eventually replace one if it fails.
But the thing is I've read that RPis usb current is not enough for 2 drives and also the ports will heat a lot.
What do you use with your RPis? I don't really care much about r/w speed since I'll just dump few GB shit there once in a while.

I'm fucking poor btw.
>>
>>82055143
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Splitter-Y-Cable-Inches/dp/B00L1K1OIA
Something like this + seperate USB charger?
>>
>>82055143
do you have one with perła?
>>
File: tyskie.jpg (41 KB, 600x750)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>82055164
I also thought about something similar to this after browsing hardware thread:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HD2B/dp/B0759567JT

Not exactly it 'cos expensive af.

Wouldn't it be better to buy 'external usb hdd' or just a hdd with sata to usb cable?

>>82055174
sorry, only tyskie
>>
Anyone here used Kopia with GDrive and big (multiple TBs) data pools? Is it super slow on subsequent backups just like restic? https://kopia.io
>>
File: fuk jbzd.png (384 KB, 577x846)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>82055143
People tend to use powered USB hubs, though I sold the Pi (Pi4 in my case) and just bought a thin client for the same amount money instead.
>>82055174
Here you go anon.
>>
>>82055053
>publicly exposing outdated software
This and Radarr connection being broken on last v3 version.
>>
how people get to know kubernetes? the scope of this is so big that i don't even know where to start
>>
File: image0-1-2-1.gif (967 KB, 200x200)
967 KB
967 KB GIF
>>82053855
This is on Windows obviously

Someone pls respond
>>
>>82053855
>restart my whole network
What do you mean by "whole network"?
>>
How the fuck do you mount a nfs share so a user can rw to it? I have a Pleroma instance on a VM and I want to dump the images and DB to a bulk storage device. No matter what options I put in the /etc/export, fstab or systemd-mount it fucking uses the uid and gid of 1000 so the pleroma user cannot write.
>>
>>82052954
I have a dingy prototype site that is public-facing. basically a static page that self-refreshes every day after running a new report.

the "front-end" server is on a dedicated vlan which isn't permitted to talk with anything else on my network, except for ro access to a single NFS share on my reporting server.

Occasionally i'll host games for nieces/nephews

Otherwise all of my other shit can only be reached remotely if I connect to my vpn.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.