[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: riscv_social.jpg (305 KB, 2400x1260)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
This was supposed to be savior of hardware, GNU/Linux of ISAs etc. So I allocated $150 from my shitcoin stash just to buy some dev board to fuck around with some RISC-V assembly coding for hobby. Guess what? You can't find any dev boards to order directly. And if you request one -I mean getting in queue for it- from Beagle or any company, they require you to be some company employee in order to acquire. So it's yet another toy that is just available to corporate faggots. Linux of hardware my ass. Those corporate shits first stole R&D departments from universities&academia, now being a hobbyist is also a corporate luxury. Fuck RISC-V. I will get some MIPS or SPARC board for funz.
>>
>>81455128
>GNU/Linux of ISAs
its closer to the gnu hurd of ISAs. the linux of ISAs is IBM Power
>>
patience its just another cpu next trick is riscv powered gpu's cause we still lack it in the free realm
>>
File: laser7.jpg (76 KB, 960x540)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
howbout our own display port? isnt hdmi proprietary too? do they really have to pay whoever owns the rights when they make a device with it and buy their chips? i remember hearing raspberry pi going through licensing hell for all the shit the only break they got was from broadcom with cheap chips no one was really using at the time and depreciated
>>
>>81455128
get an FPGA and build your own devboard with risc-v cpu
>>
>>81455242
yes. just look at FTDI. they have a motherfucking monopoly.
>>
>>81455128
I've never understand the point. You cannot easily verify that the board is built with their source and you can't built it yourself unless you own a factory.
>>
>>81455343
>You cannot easily verify that the board is built with their source
but you can easily verify that whatever the factory shipped you satisfies all the properties of the source
>>
>>81455343
>the factory is going to redesign you CPU
OK schizo
>>
then make one
faggot
>>
yeah ive been freaking out lately really getting the grasp of the sizes of devices in modern day silicon circuits (ryzen is built with 12nm features) if anything we need privacy legislation that can sue the pants of companies if they knowgly sell us spy tech
>>
>>81455128
wait for ESP32-C2
>>
>>81455128
>he fell for the open source ISA meme.
OP you are dumb.
>>
id settle for fast cheap fpga's
>>
>>81455128
It is. You're just 5-10 years early.
>>
>>81455548
who made that pic? Its fucking wrong.
>>
File: gookbench.png (12 KB, 1276x216)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
This is just going to be another meme cpu architecture we joke about in the future like ARM. We're just too balls deep in x86's AVX to move onto something else, AT BEST 10% native meme cpu architecture software and 90% x86 emulation.
>>
>>81456545
>too balls deep in x86's AVX to move onto something else
the fuck you smoking, everyone is hyped about RVV
no more retarded rewrites every time intcel decides to bloat its isa with another version of SIMD
>>
>>81455128
if you want to pay $600 the SiFive Unmatched will come out in June
>>
>>81455128
>This was supposed to be savior of hardware
It could still be. I could even see phones (including Apple) using ARM only temporarily, and most ending up here.
>>
>>81455128
OP is a missive faggot. You can order a cheap board today from Sparkfun:
>https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15594

Board list here:
>https://riscv.org/exchange/
>>
>>81457761
>Speed: 256 MHz (default), 320MHz (Max)
>Memory: 16 KB Instruction Cache, 16 KB Data Scratchpad
So these have a CPU that's fast enough to do cool stuff with yet they gimp it with so little memory it can't even run NetBSD. Great.
>>
>>81455128
Is RISC-V right now like ARM in the 90s?
>>
>>81455128
>This was supposed to be savior of hardware, GNU/Linux of ISAs etc
noone serious said that, you hyped yourself for no reason
>You can't find any dev boards to order directly
lurk more, it's very easy to find
>And if you request one -I mean getting in queue for it- from Beagle or any company, they require you to be some company employee in order to acquire.
stop being poor, it's every easy to make money in 2021
>So it's yet another toy that is just available to corporate faggots.
No.
>Linux of hardware my ass
again, self-hype.
it was never about coomsumer choice but manufacturers, are you a manufacturer?
>Those corporate shits first stole R&D departments from universities&academia
>stole
they stole nothing, riscv has always been a project between industrials and universities, it never was about hobbyists
> now being a hobbyist is also a corporate luxury
>50€ is luxury
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> I will get some MIPS or SPARC boards to fill my drawers
ftfy
you wil never use them, you clearly has no fucking clues what you're talking about, i doubt you wil ever be able to use anything else than your garbage x86 acer laptop your mom bought when you were in highschool
>>
>>81458008
This board is basically an Arduino UNO, which has 2KB SRAM.
You don't need much more to do embedded stuff.
>>
>>81456545
>comparing a high efficiency low power mobile cpu to a 500 fucking dollar desktop/workstation cpu
>ryzen 5800x tdp : 105w
>apple m1 : <40w max under heavy load
yeah no shit the ryzen comes out ahead, its a fucking desktop cpu that requires air/water cooling and still draws over twice as much power as the m1, which is passively cooled. considering the power draw and cooling, its a fucking miracle it came so close on the geekbench benchmark. arm has never been about outright performance, its been about efficiency, which always seems to go over the heads of smoothbrains like you.
>inb4 apple shill
apple products are overpriced crap thats full of TLA backdoors, I couldnt care less about them. The cpu itself is pretty cool though, just a shame about the stuff its attached to.
also
>arm
>meme architecture
daily reminder that there are more arm cpus than intel and amd combined being sold every day.
>>
File: mips the rabbit.png (22 KB, 161x188)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
How do I start a hobbyist oriented RISC-V production and sales business?

If the problem is not the technology, but the lack off availability, let's just go.
>>
>>81458252
Yeah and those embedded boards are shit for anything a RISC-V hobbyist would care about. If you're only trying to make LEDs light up then the ISA doesn't really matter. I want a native OS and C/C++ compiler, not a fucking Arduino clone.
>>
>>81458664
Well how do you plan on getting chips made if there's a worldwide shortage on semiconductor ingredients?
>>
>>81455128
>You can't find any dev boards
Had you instead used the /aig/ which is for exactly this kind of things, you would have seen how to get a board - for free.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.