[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: brazil.jpg (43 KB, 449x449)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Been trying to get deep into Java, and it just doesn't stick; I keep trying get going into a full gonna learn mode, and after a week, I am bored as shit.
How do you all fight against this? And could the problem be the language?
>>
>>81452239
I think it's just a personal thing.
with mathematics (which I also study, know I need but absolutely can't get along with) I really have to force myself to study, I absolutely don't want to do more than I have to.
But with programming I can just do it for hours without notice, with programming it's breaks I have to force myself to take (usually to overcome tunnel vision when something doesn't work) and even then I have an itch to jump back in.

I just really like doing it, maybe you just not all that into it? in which case yeah, programming would be miserable.
>>
I know EXACTLY what you mean
Haven't found the solution though, I just concluded that I'm not born to do this shit and switched to the server side of things
>>
>>81452294
Maybe you’re right. Just out of curiosity, what language do you work with these days?
>>
>>81452389
"work with", I'm a CS student on my first year.
In high school I did C# (VERY weird choice on their behalf) and right now I'm doing Python.
Are you trying to teach yourself? I unironically had fun with the tasks we were given in into to CS, so maybe your issue is that you're just trying to memorize stuff and should try applying them to solve a task or a problem?
Or maybe you're just as ADD as I am and you're not too hot with studying by yourself.
>>
>>81452239
Why is this lil nigga so shiny?
>>
>>81452453
Come to Brazil and find out
>>
>>81452453
He's foil rare.
>>
>>81452239
it's not for everyone.
somebody has to flip them burgers, too
>>
>>81452239
Have you tried being autistic? Works for me.
>>
File: 1613903491091.jpg (496 KB, 650x762)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
>>81452239
I do get burnt out. Programming just DOESN'T stick with me and I get so bored I find myself reading the same lines over and over without retaining it. I'm currently in a C++ class and it's my final class before graduation. I'm literally googling the answers to my problems and changing variable names. I'm fucking done with IT and programming.

Just going to drive an 18 wheeler or a fork lift until the robots manage to replace me.
>MFW going to have a Bachelor's of Science in Information Technology
>MFW not going to use it because I've come to hate technology
>>
>>81452579
Just get into assembly in some industrial machine building company and work your way up into a desk urchin.
>>
>>81452598
Honestly man I just want some land. I don't need much to be happy. I'm just going to work like a good wage salve at blue collar jobs that I know pay $50k or more a year. I'll work my ass off so I can pay off my mortgage before I'm 40, make a nest egg, and just chill.

It truly is a sad day when you come to the realization and acceptance that you're just mediocre or average at something. I originally wanted to get into security, but I just don't have it in my to pour over change logs, security patch changes, program changes, firmware zero days, etc. I just like gaming and hanging with the boys.
>>
>>81452532
I would rather not get killed.
>>
>>81452239
I play videogames and don't do personal projects when I have programming assignments from uni.
>>
>>81452239
>How the fuck do you people not suffer burnouts during programming, or trying to study it?
For me, it's probably autism.
>>
>>81452239
>I am bored as shit.
>How do you all fight against this? And could the problem be the language?

programming doesn't have anything to do with the programming language.

if you want to learn programming just do a project that you think is fun, and you pick the languages that work best with the tools you need to get the job done. what makes this (or any project) easier is if you have a buddy or a team that you can work with so y'all can mutually motivate each other.

now if you want to git gud with java (on an OCPJP level or something) you should be able study for that in 2 weeks (one for oca, one for ocp) - but that doesn't teach you how to program, that just teaches you the language.
>>
The key is to program actual software instead of being an educational excersise retard.
If you don't get any enjoyment from that programming is not for you.
>>
>>81452239
>Been trying to get deep into Java
Learn FreeBasic, and get your teacher fired for teaching such a shitty language
>>
>>81454158
>FreeBasic
>>
>>81452239
>filtered by java
>>
>>81452239
>Been trying to get deep into Java, and it just doesn't stick; I keep trying get going into a full gonna learn mode, and after a week, I am bored as shit.
How does your full learn mode look? Do you actually program something or just watching/reading stuff?

>>81452579
>I'm literally googling the answers to my problems and changing variable names.
Lot's of companies are same, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
>>
>>81452239
Everyone learns differently.
Personally, I think working in a team is the best way to learn. Every single line of code you write will get looked at by someone who is either dumber or smarter than you. The smart guy will tell you what you can do better and the dumb guy will ask you how it works, which ensures that you yourself actually understand what you did there.
>>
File: 1617231618333.jpg (59 KB, 750x750)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>81452239
>Java
What the hell else did you expect kek
>>
>>81452239
>I am bored as shit.
Found your problem. If programming doesn't excite you, forget about becoming good because it ain't happening. First you have to love programming, then you can properly study it.
>>
>>81457002
It's not really possible to get excited abou Java tho
>>
>>81457123
Of course it is. Your problem is that you view the world through the lens provided to you by /g/ and society at large. So if everyone says Java sucks and you have to hate it, that's how you view the world, without ever actually giving it a proper unbiased investigation yourself.
>>
>>81457123
The tech stack doesn't matter, it's more about the project and the people you work with,
>>
>>81452431
C# is a great language, but probably not the best for absolute beginners
>>
>>81452239
I suffer more from being stuck on the "oh this is cool" phase and mistaking that for work. I swear, I've spent the last 10 days looking at every front end JS framework for a project.
>>
>>81452239
Are you learning coding for a job or are you learning it for fun? There’s a massive difference. When I’m chained to beginner projects when I first learn a language I want to kill myself but as soon as I learn the language syntax and start becoming more competent and taking on higher level projects I cant stop
>>
>>81459386
Sort of both. Every job in this part of the third world, for some reason requires you to learn java. I don't get, what makes java so special?
>>
>>81452294
im completely opposite ;-;
i can study mathematics for hours without eating or sleeping but i cant seem to focus on anything else. I kinda wish id taken mathematics instead of computer science because in cs everyone is trying to spread their asscheeks for corporate overlords.
>>
Java is quite verbose. Could be that the amount of words you have to type and/or to read to do something is too big. Sure, if you are gifted you can see the structure in word mess, but if you have trouble with it yourself, no biggie. Just use a more ergonomic language like Python and you will see, you can do a lot more with less effort and see the structure of your programs a lot faster. When it sticks, you can go back to Java if you want.
>>
You cant, First tip is dont ever watch tutorials, Instead join communites, Thats how i leanred languages fluently, You jojn a coding languages discord/forum and then you will learn it.
>>
>>81452239
>burnouts
That is mostly a question of the luck of the draw in the genetic lottery. I am pretty immune to burnout but I remember many of my fellow programmers were wrecked after a particular brutal crunch time lasting 6 months. Essentially we lived at work, 6 and later 7 days a week, plenty of overtime pay, no chance to spend money.

At the end of this many were burned out. I was not. Pure luck on my part.
>>
>>81452239
By taking pre-defined breaks every now and then (on for 30 off for 5, on for 60 off for 10, etc).
> I am bored as shit.
If you're not enjoying it then perhaps you chose the wrong field but at too stubborn/retarded to admit it to yourself.
>>
>>81459817
De facto language for big companies.
>>
>>81460849
>you chose the wrong field but at too stubborn/retarded to admit it to yourself.
Not op, but I totally feel this. I'm just too fucking old at 30 to do anything else. I guess just have to accept it and become as proficient as I can while trying not to rope myself.
>>
>>81452239
focusing on the language/writing code itself is what makes programming boring. what you should focus on are the actual problems that can be solved by programming

so don't think in the line of "today I should learn parsing XML using Java's XML DOM API" because that's just dry and goalless, instead try something like "today I should work on generating some XML data that I can later use in some web service or application configuration"
>>
I want to kill myself every single day I work.
>>
>>81461157
>. I guess just have to accept it and become as proficient as I can
Or do what I did in IT and get promoted in to a comfy position where I "work" only about 1/4 of the day and just coast from there.
>>
>>81452239
you're just not made for it
>>
assuming it's a hobby and not a job, just take a break man. Take as long as you need to get the itch again. Some days I just don't give a fuck and do something else
>>
>>81452239
How about realising that you want the status of being a software engineer, and you dont actually like the job and would be better sticking to something youre good at
>>
>>81461675
That's easy for programming types to say, because they don't realize how hard it is to make a living without those types of skills
>>
>>81452239
I fight against this by telling myself that I'm going to get fired if I don't do what I'm supposed to do.
If I don't have a real Damocles Sword hanging over me I won't do shit

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.