[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ojd8hjwy2qb41.jpg (186 KB, 1080x1350)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>look up some tutorials for how to make a simple web server
>"okay first we need to install these 20 packages"
>"we're going to have to install a framework"
>"we're going to use this template engine"
>"we're going to use git and push this shit onto the internet even though it's completely fucking unncessary"

Is this really what it's all about? I learned the basics of creating a page with javascript/html/css when I was in school. Why all of a sudden I need to install gigabytes of shit and learn like 50 different tools just to make a website?

Is this really how people develop web applications these days? And if these are "beginner" tutorials, what years was it in exactly that babies started being born having a mastery of javascript and git?
>>
what's his name?
>>
>>81448642
if you want it quickly up..
install apache2
mv /my/code/* /var/www/html/
>>
>>81448642
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dIVesHEAzc&
>>
>>81448642
My theory is that it's a form of gatekeeping, adding complexity for the sake of complexity to make it seem like websoys are the only ones that can do the job the do.

There's really no justification for having to install so many different dependencies for a simple website with a backend.
>>
>>81448642
https://golang.org/doc/articles/wiki/
>>
All my personal stuff is just html, and setting up a server for that is dead simple.
>>
>>81448642
https://flask.palletsprojects.com/en/1.1.x/quickstart/
>>
>>81448642
>man nginx
>>
>>81448642
>Why all of a sudden I need to install gigabytes of shit and learn like 50 different tools just to make a website?

Because HTML, CSS and JS are all open standards they are essentially unsupported outside of a few foundations.

The money comes from """"""""""""open"""""""""""" frameworks with botnets, built in trackers, and backdoors embedded in them. The only incentive major corporations like Google and Facebook have to develop on the web it to make it an """""""""""""""""open""""""""""""" framework that they are the only ones who understand how they work under the hood. Then they flood the market with tutorials and shit so it seems like that is the only way to do it. W*bdevs are fucking retards and thus they all fall for it.
>>
>>81448642
>install wildfly
>deploy war package
>bind ip to 0.0.0.0
>???
>profit
>>
>create new project in visual studio
>select Web project
>click ok
>done
>>
>>81448642
python -m http.server, and whatever dir you're sitting in is now your web root.
You said quick and easy not configurable or good.
when you realize you need that other stuff I recommend you quit. A pajeet with an attention span longer than a crack head deserves the web dev job more than you.
>>
>>81448753
it really reduces the complexity for building a project with web applications which is why they're used; in contrast to building a site with servlets which are mostly falling out favor you can just use spring boot with maven instead
>>
>>81448642
1 look up nginx or apache or srh else
2 look up certbot
>>
>>81448642
slap nginx on your webserver and dump your webcode into the root directory listed in '/etc/nginx/something.conf', if you wanna be real fancy you can even add a location to that conf file so that the base link takes you to a landing page and another subdomain takes you to the actual webapp
yes that is how people really develop web applications these days because instead of doing things the simple way everything needs to be pointlessly complicated
>>
Why is Microsoft able to do this with a couple clicks and an easy to follow wizard? How come others aren't capable of doing the same?
>>
File: 1618497197262.jpg (324 KB, 1242x1203)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>81448642
be me
>need to get a ssrver up with the following functionalities
>email
>socket connections
>database management
>authentication
>tons of crudshit
>.xlsx and .docx report generation
>etc.
>install framework
>glue packages together
>done.
>have free time todo hobby shit or do """real programing""""

be ctard undergrad
>need to do the same
>day 400, currently doing the html templating engine for dynamic emails, stuck handling ie8 css edgecases
>die
>>
>>81448642
webdev got infested with retards, women, and diversity. They are literally unable to avoid creating these architectural compost piles, they are just not very smart. God help you if you've chosen that as your career and will have to work with them all day long for the next several decades.
>>
>>81448642
It's all BS. Even most of those website hosting platforms like squarespace of godaddy end up being more complicated and buggy than if you just use basic html code. Gatekeeping on gatekeeping with a bunch of smoke and mirrors to trick people into handing over their money.
>>
>>81448682
>apache2
that's a weird way to spell nginx
>>
People actually still use Apache? Jesus, it's like 15 years obsolete.
>>
>metal utensil with nonstick pot
why are modern women so garbage at being even women?
>>
>>81450535
"web" "" application"" is a biggest cancer infesting the internet. Nothing but a scam run by data stealing corpo kikes.
>>
File: 1612339146293.png (55 KB, 480x406)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
This semester I'm taking a web development class. I now know how to use APIs, Bootstrap, JS, and Node.

I can't believe I thought the cool and interesting things web devs were responsible for are literally just run of the mill templates and code SOMEONE ELSE CREATED that they copy and paste into sites.

Image carousel? Someone did it, just look it up. Oh wait, React or whatever fucking framework you're using probably has that already.

FRAMEWORKS. These people literally use FRAMEWORKS that simplify everything they do and they speak about it like it's some complicated shit.

HOLY FUCK , use "let" instead of "var" in functions is honestly the most complicated topic in JS and shit about closure loops was just about the tip of how complex web dev has began.

I sincerely can't believe there is an entire thread on /g/ dedicated to web dev. What do these retards even talk about? What do web devs actually do?

At this point I can't even fucking believe I'm over here breaking my brain trying to into low level assembly, automation, security tooling, and system design. You know, actual engineering. while these baseddevs graduate and make more than me by literally copypastin code someone else made.

Holy fuck yes I'm mad. And the audacity of them to taunt it like they're doing real computer science, or real coding. And yet, despite how PISS EASY all of this, you still have dog shit websites that don't load correctly, etc.

fuck web devs
fuck javascript
fuck big tech
fuck diversity
fuck jannies
>>
$ mkdir www
$ cd www
$ echo '<html>Hello World</html' > index.html
$ sudo busybox httpd
$ w3m -dump 127.0.0.1
Hello World
$

Servers up brah.
>>
>>81448642
Who's this goblin? I need to coom
>>
>>81451078
You're on /g/ and can't reverse search an image?
With that being said, Isabela Merced
>>
The younger generation of developers love using new shit just because it is new, even though it overcomplicates shit. There is nothing wrong with setting up a simple apache web server if you want to make something simple.
>>
>>81448724
this guy is a retard who can't build his own ecommerce store because "backend development is just so annoying" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUldo_jJq7A

le epic based techblogger who can't actually use tech lmao
>>
>>81451060
oh look a student with no published work is being elitist about tech stacks.
you'll fit in perfectly
>>
>>81451194
>front-end dev is full of bad overdone minified CSS
>backend development is annoying
>no I'm not going to use an alternative protocol like gemini because what's the point, the web has already won
>but I make my living off YouTube
what is this guy's agenda even with regards to the web
>>
>>81451300
And yet everything I said is still true. Yikes.
>>
>>81448854
meds
>>
>>81448642
The more you learn about web development, the more you'll understand the niche each of those tools fill. You'll learn also likely come to appreciate frameworks, since there's no point reinventing the wheel for all your backend boilerplate. There's definitely a problem with too much bloat in some frameworks, especially for front end stuff

That said, I would skip all the frameworks if you're just trying to learn the basics. Anons have outlined 20 ways to serve static files locally to test. If you're doing database work or need some backend processing, php is probably the simplest to get up and running, but I don't particularly recommend php
>>
>>81448642
This is why learning C is so important. Creating a web server in C is not difficult, but it probably gives you more knowledge that 99.9pc of the web shitters.
>>
>"we're going to use git and push this shit onto the internet even though it's completely fucking unncessary"
Using a version control system is ALWAYS necessary.

>I learned the basics of creating a page with javascript/html/css when I was in school.
That's nice. Simple HTML and JS with no libraries doesn't scale well to making large, complex web applications.
>>
>>81450821
Based and true. People use these frameworks because they provide useful shit that nobody has time to reimplement for themselves. And if you let yourself get filtered by git, the tech world is better off without you.
>>
>>81450535
>in contrast to building a site with servlets which are mostly falling out favor you can just use spring boot with maven instead
>squibbly goobeldy gabbeldy goo
Throwing around buzzwords is peak midwit, it's what corporate middle managers do. You're not a corporate middle manager, are you Anon?
>>
>>81451704

>Creating a web server in C is not difficult
Ahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha. Even with a backend framework to handle most of the HTTP routing, writing any web application in C is going to be much more tedious than any other language, even Rust.
>>
>>81448642
All you really need to setup a server is software that can send and receive on a network port. You can write firmware yourself in C for this purpose if you really want to. Hint: you don't.
You don't NEED a multitasking operating system abstracting access to the port (e.g. linux), a background service implementing http on that port abstraction (e.g. apache), an efficient data storage and lookup solution to facilitate the provision of accounts and privileges for remote users (e.g. mysql), and a scripting system for server response automation (e.g. php), but good fucking luck without them you dense fucking retard.
I look forward to seeing your bare-metal x86-asm reinvention of the wheel, that boots on network hardware and serves data on port 80 without any preexisting component of a lamp stack or similar.
I'm sure it will revolutionize the industry.
Holy shit, imagine being this stupid.
>>
>>81451042

Web applications are what corporations want. You either sell them what they're buying, or you don't make squat.
>>
>>81451060
> I now know how to use APIs
Uh oh retard alert. Man learns to count, now has opinions on how the entire field of mathematics is stupid.

Frontend web dev is a grind and I'm glad someone else is doing it (not me). And modern day software dev means using a fuck ton of 3rdparty libraries and tools all over the place even if you're not a frontend dev - it happens in distributed systems too (which is what I do for work). The reason for this is that modern software gets built much faster and does much more than software did back in the olden days of Thompson and Ritchie. No company can afford to pay you to implement everything from scratch, so you use something that's already been implemented whenever possible. This is a different challenge than the kind of stuff you do in your undergrad degree, but building an actually useful piece of software on top of a bunch of open source libraries is still a challenge. You just need to broaden your view - individual pieces of software are now much more boring, but they're often pieces of large complex systems. The architecture of those systems is where the interesting work is.
>>
>>81451300
Agreed. People like this are as annoying as the Code of Conduct harpies. Both contribute nothing, and live to suck the blood of actually productive people.
>>
>>81448642
>I learned the basics of creating a page with javascript/html/css when I was in school. Why all of a sudden I need to install gigabytes of shit and learn like 50 different tools just to make a website?
JS, HTML, and CSS are just the frontend of a website. They constitute the document to transmit.

I assume you're aware of how the internet works on a basic level.
There's your machine, the client, and out in the cloud somewhere is the machine storing the document you want, the machine storing the JS, HTML, and CSS, that's going to send it to you. That machine is the server.
The client submits a URL to a specialized server called the DNS, domain name server, which uses its cached knowledge of what other servers are out there to translate your URL into an IP address.
The client then gets the IP address back and sends a request to it. The request says, "can you give me this web page." Relaying the same URL to the destination server so the server knows what page we're asking for.
The server is pinged with the request, processes it -- generally looking up the URL on its local filesystem to find the page we want -- and replies with the content of the documents we requested.

This whole communication protocol -- whereby a client requests JS, HTML, CSS, and other such frontend documents from a server, which then replies with the documents' contents -- is called HTTP, or hypertext transfer protocol. This protocol is not handled magically for you for free. The server needs a specialized background service installed for it, which, confusingly, is also called a "server."

When you make a webpage on your PC, you don't need an HTTP server installed to load the page, because the physical server is the same as the physical client; it can directly access its own filesystem to lookup documents. But as soon as you want to send those documents over the Internet to a separate client, an HTTP server program becomes necessary.

Auxiliary packages then facilitate working with it.
>>
>>81451704
There's no advantage to C over Go or Rust.
If you think using inferior tools makes you smart, think again.
>>
>>81451960
I agree that you shouldn't use C where it's not appropriate, but if you read the Linux kernel mailing list posts recently where they're considering adding Rust support, you'll see that there still are places where C is better than Rust. For example, if I understood correctly, Torvalds said Rust doesn't have a way to allocate memory in a way that is safe if it fails. That's necessary for the Linux kernel.

If your building a web backend, Go is better than C. If you're building a high performance application, Rust is usually better than C. But for operating systems designed to run on bare metal, it seems like C still has a niche (though improvements to Rust might eliminate this niche over time).
>>
>>81451621
He's right though.
>>
>>81448642
Use a real porgramming language like Go or Rust and escape the botnet of JS
>>
>>81448642
sudo apt install nginx

Use HTML and write web page. Save as “index.html”. Put it in the correct directory.

Done.

Why are you retarded?
>>
>>81448642
>metal spoon
>on teflon coated pot
enjoy the cancer, faggot
>>
File: 1616240872731.jpg (38 KB, 334x506)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>81451777 (checked)
based and redpilled
>>
>>81450996
Why is nginx better? Also, wasn't nginx proprietary/costs money?
>>
>>81451021
A light Teflon seasoning is an acquired taste anon, I wouldn't have expected you to understand.
>>
File: 1620058448344.png (360 KB, 566x328)
360 KB
360 KB PNG
>>81453091
>>81451021
>mfw been using scratched teflon pan for 5 years now and only JUST NOW finding out about this
>>
>>81453277
Nginx is free and open source. I believe it has better performance for serving static files (whereas apache is better for php) but don't quote me on that lol
>>
>>81450996
nginx is the cyrillic spelling of apache2
>>
>>81453374
>open soars
so its shit
>>
>>81448642
python3 -m http.server
>>
use docker...
>>
>>81450523
This is how I transfer files at work. They disable the USB but I can still transfer files with a makeshift HTTP python server.
>>
>>81453780
just install docker and configure and port map and etc pp ....
>>
>>81451305
he's just autistic
>>
>>81451830
that's not what op wanted, retard
>>
>>81448753
This. Webshitters, consciously or not, know the end is coming so this is just increasing job security. Just make people think that it's all so complex and hard and you're set for life.
>>
>>81453531
>>
File: 1620092755968.webm (1023 KB, 720x1274)
1023 KB
1023 KB WEBM
>>81448642
echo "<h1>nigger</h1>" > index.html
python3 -m http.server 8080
>http://localhost:8080/
>>
>>81448642
>I learned the basics of creating a page with javascript/html/css when I was in school.
>>81448753
>My theory is that it's a form of gatekeeping
>>81453991
>Just make people think that it's all so complex and hard and you're set for life.

well see, back when I was in school when we had wood shop we used to get a jigsaw and a chisel and we would make all sorts of stuff out of balsa wood! I don't understand why you would need a lathe and a cnc machine and robots and all that stuff to build a car, can't you just do it with a hammer and a drill? I think all these people are just making things unnecessarily complex just to gatekeep and for personal job security

t. you
>>
yes, there's a learning curves to these tools. yes, they increase your productivity once mastered. no, you don't need to be insecure about it
>>
>>81451140
*Moner
>>
File: 1611915582224.jpg (75 KB, 640x960)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>81450535
Listen man, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I don't really give a fuck what a servlet or a spring boot is. I need to make a website using nodejs. It has to be node because the library that my application will use is only available for python and javascript.

All I want is a front end webpage which also displays some data, which is being computed or fetched from the web by the server.

I'm also trying to find out some other things like how to achieve parallelism in javascript (I want the server to handle requests while simultaneously making API calls every second to fetch data from the web). No concrete explanation of this except vague handwavy answers from "pros".

>>81454414
Usually when you're trying to teach them something, you show the theory behind how it works before overwhelming them with new tools. I've yet to see a tutorial that shows you how to build a website without bullshit like express (or at least using express, but without using the express generator). It makes me question if even the "pros" know anymore how to just build something from scratch because at the press of a button they can automatically generate the entire website skeleton. This shit is terrible for beginners and I refuse to use it because I don't want to have some bullshit code show up that I don't know what it does yet. I'm just not the kind of person that blindly accepts that.
>>
>>81448642
Read less shitty tutorials
>>
>>81454920
My advice is to not use Node. A lot of this is due to the Node and JavaScript ecosystem just being really shitty. Also, Node is awful to program in compared to alternatives.

>I want the server to handle requests while simultaneously making API calls every second to fetch data from the web
This is like the #1 thing people do with Node. If you can't figure that out I don't know what to tell you. But I recommend not using Node.

In pseudocode (I don't really know Node), you'd just write some function like

async function backgroundFetch() { while true { fetch and store data; sleep(time); }

Then just call backgroundFetch() (without "await") from anywhere and it'll run in the background forever asynchronously / concurrently. (You probably mean "concurrency" when you say "parallelism". Google "concurrency vs. parallelism" to learn the difference)

(I think you might need to use setInterval or something instead of sleep because JavaScript is dumb and doesn't have sleep. Don't know.)

As for handling requests asynchronously, any Node server should do that automatically by default
>>
>>81451755
What if I don't want to be part of the "tech world" you s-o-y infused faggot? Why on god's green earth do I need to push my code to shithub when I'm the only one working on the project and I'm the only one looking at the code?
>>
>>81454920
>All I want is a front end webpage which also displays some data, which is being computed or fetched from the web by the server.
use php with javascript "ajax", or "asynchronous http requests", on the frontend.
>>
>>81454987
Thank you this is actually helpful.
>>
Any site which is more than just HTML and non-bootstrap CSS is pure cancer.
>>
It's nonsense. Install nginx, set it up, then just put HTML files in the right folder and there's your website. PHP only requires like one more download and a few lines in nginx's configs.
>>
Imagine being filtered by git
>>
>>81451060
>this semester
>breaking my brain trying to into low level assembly, automation, security tooling, and system design.
oh hahahahahahahahahzhahzhzhzhzhzhzhzbshshahahahahahahhshshs
>>
>>81448642
for an extremely simple web server you just need to open a socket and react to GET you stupid cunt

Or do you want to install a web server? Just install nginx or apache, it's easy
>>
>>81454920
>python
use flask
>>
>>81448642
>Is this really what it's all about? I learned the basics of creating a page with javascript/html/css when I was in school. Why all of a sudden I need to install gigabytes of shit and learn like 50 different tools just to make a website?

you can continue doing webdev has you have done it, today. fucking retarded faggot and your retarded takes belong in the >>>/trash/
>>
>>81448808
>flash
>not bottle

do you like bloat or something faggot?
>>
>>81456273
>use flask
where do you dumb faggots come from?
https://github.com/bottlepy/bottle/issues/1158#issuecomment-526602488

Flask was made to cope and shill a shitty web framework. it objectively has the same critical flaws as bottle + some gay and unnecessary WSGI framework.
>>
>>81448642
https://golang.org/dl/
here you go
>>
>>81451060
>this semester
We should ban all Zoomers.
>>
>>81455013
You don't need to be part of the tech world, but don't be surprised when people who provide tutorials for free don't pander to your niche needs.
>>
>>81453277
Nginx can handle more traffic before dying and it's free and open sauce.
>>81453531
>>>/v/
>>
>>81456350
>>>/onions/
>>
>>81456705
Why is the tech world full of faggots who want to feel smart by overcomplicating their work instead of getting shit done?
>>
>>81456856
because quick and dirty solutions don't scale well
>>
>>81455013
If you don't understand the use for git (you can set up a small local git server), then you either write incredibly shit code or you have the worst backup system if you want to revert changes.
>>
Golang OP. All you gotta do is serve HTTPS with a cert bound to a port then do whatever you want. Don't even have to fuck around with web frameworks and the like, just roll your own like God intended
>>
>>81456833
nice rebuttal cuck. no is stopping you from doing perl cgi using apache2 httpd. go upload your .htaccess and sources via sftp on your shared host.
>>
>>81453374
Nginx is leaner and faster. Apache has more features. More to it obviously but that is the basics.

For a quick example in apache you can enable .htaccess files which per- directory configuration that is read for every access. Slow but convenient.
>>
>>81448642
like 90% of the reason i gave up on switching careers from accounting to web dev. i learned a lot and made progress, and none of it was truly that difficult. but the state of modern web development is blatantly fucking retarded, gluing together a dozen fucking frameworks and packages with their own clusterfuck of idiosyncrasies, configurations, and dependencies, just to get a meme single page application full stack project to host locally, let alone pushing that fucking mess to a remote server or """""""the cloud"""""""" so people can actually use it.

embedded looks a lot more fun but it's not realistic to self teach, and i don't feel like spending another 2-3 years in school.
>>
>>81451060
Every field of development uses frameworks and libraries you fucking retard
>>
>>81458168
>t. frontend monkey
>>
>>81458168
Yeah except if you want to make say, a simple desktop application (I mean just a simple tool, maybe to automate some task at work), you might import like 3 libraries related to what your app actually does, plus some kind of gui library if you want to get fancy. With webdev you're expected to npm install 20 packages and a framework before you can write "hello world" and then most tutorials just assume you know everything from that point on and don't actually show you the structure of how a website should be built. You are either retarded, or lying, if you don't see a problem with this workflow.

Tell me, isn't the purpose of a framework supposed to be that you have all the tools you should need "out of the box"? Doesn't it then defeat the entire purpose of using a framework if you STILL need to install 1000 dependencies?
>>
>>81448642
Basically yes but if I would create my own personal site I would just go with server side rendering w/ Spark or something similar. Also elinks support would be based.
>>
>>81448642
>install apache
>get on with your life
do smoothbrain pedos like you reallY?
>>
>>81451305
Really terrible takes in contrarianism. He should have stayed in university and stick with making latex videos.
>>
>>81448793
this
>>
>>81458425
> Simple tools require few dependencies
> Complex projects require many dependencies
> REEEEEEEEEE
seethe.
>>
>>81448642
Switch to Windows server and use iis.
>>
>>81448642
All this shit is for dynamic web "apps." Websites the way you learned them still work just fine.
>>
>>81458974
Why does it need to be dynamic bro? Why you can't just send your homepage to the user and have the current oil price displayed in realtime? Why you must use express, react, ejs, fgt, ngr, git, shit? Why I need to handle every time user is typing in url? What kind of shit is this? Why I must use javascript to draw all of my html on the page if I can just write it myself?
>>
>>81458914
Listen to me you fucking nerd, I can beat the shit out of you. Let's see how smug you are when I stick your LED gaming mouse in your asshole.
>>
>>81448680
it actually has a real, genetic, XX, vagina.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.