[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: wineabout.png (52 KB, 800x600)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
http://overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/962927

IRC: #sqt on freenode
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>81428248
>>
Guide me GNU /g/urus.

Have a Pi4 running Wireguard 24/7 (torrents, etc). But want to install Pi-hole in it as well, to block ads, trackers, sites, you know the deal.

Question is: would it cause DNS issues if I run Pi-hole? Want the Pi to always use the VPN but also want to block ads and such.

If I get this correct, Pi-hole would be the dns server to have all traffic forwarded to for blocking and such, but what happens to the VPN running on the Pi? Will it have to connect or use the Pi-hole DNS as well instead of the one used by the vpn provided?
>>
Your VPN could use either pi-hole or vpn providers dns. Won't make much difference. Your LAN machines will be using pi-hole which should be passing through the vpn anyway.
>>
I LOVE COMPUTER
>>
Is there a way to make Linux use only one clipboard for everything? Middle-clicking is convenient, but I never know what's going to be in the "primary" clipboard.
>>
File: 1619888137247.png (168 KB, 900x563)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
Using Linux(Gentoo) for the first time, how do I

>Reset the changes I made to genkernel
>Laptop uses an Intel Graphics and an Nvidia Graphics, Intel sound cards and Nvidia soundcards, how do I make my laptop switch between the two
>Why is the sound output of my headphones so small
>How do I set Wifi

Less important questions:
>Why are Linux DEs such pieces of shit, should I change to WM
>Why is gentoo so unpopular, there's literally no learning/troubleshooting material about it apart from gentoowiki and youtube
>Why are MSWindows themes garbage in every DE
>Why is LXDE "masked"
when I try to install it via portage
>Why does my laptop freeze everytime I try to compile chromium(Is it the botnet?)
>Will I fuck up if I mess around with the kernel withiut knowing about it
>Where is the volume button in XFCE and Plasma
>How do I adjust display brightness
>Is it a good idea to download apps like peazip tty-clock and CPU-G that are not available from my package manger at portage

I'm seriously considering switching to normalfag distros like Arch at this point. I've been dedicating my entire life to gentoo for 5 days at this point.

Unironically this "install gentoo" meme a really helpful advice for bewfags like me. I learned a lot of stuff installing gentoo, like how partitions are made in linux, what DHCP is, that terminal is extremely fast and comfy once you get used to it. And that programming is one of the worst careers out there, I should major Math or Science in college

So as I understand it gentoo is made for servers not home PCs?
>>
>>81447410
>Noob installs advanced hobbyist tinkerer distro
>Why does nothing work
>Why is basic stuff shit
>Why do I have to configure things like wifi myself
>Why does the distro only actually used by massive nerds that actually have fun configuring basic parts of an operating system for their specific use cases not have noob friendly guides written for it
>Why does my laptop shit itself when I try and compile a massive piece of software

Like pottery
You've done the meme and you got the learning experience, install something made for normal people now. The reasons to use Gentoo compared to something like Manjaro or any of the Ubuntu derivatives are limited and too niche to be applicable for most people, the average user gains nothing real going to gentoo and doing all this shit manually (other than frustration and high blood pressure) when they're going to end up with a config that will be like the OOB experience on another distro, but worse and more cludged together
>>
>>81447696
Should I switch to Arch? I kinda had fun installing gentoo tho
>>
>>81446394

You could have pfsense acting as a VPN client and then pipe the connection to your pi which could then run pihole and wireguard.

The added benefit is that you would be able to effectively place your whole network in a VPN with a single connection

If you've got a second Pi4 you could run vmware for ARM on it though it will be slower than running individual Pi's and you'll be strapped for RAM

pfsense VPN client > Pihole > Wireguard
>>
>>81447732
If you enjoyed the Gentoo install sure why not, arch is a good distro, though I don't like rolling releases personally, there is lots of stuff you can learn on any distribution but the Arch install process is another one that helps you get an idea of how the machine actually works
>>
>>81447447
>>Reset the changes I made to genkernel
don't use genkernel go to /usr/src/linux run
make nconfig
and start configuring your own shit
>>Laptop uses an Intel Graphics and an Nvidia Graphics, Intel sound cards and Nvidia soundcards, how do I make my laptop switch between the two
compile them as modules and use modprobe
>>Why is the sound output of my headphones so small
if you are alsa only, well that's how it is increase your volume
>>How do I set Wifi
wpa_passphrase <wifi-ssid> [wifi-password] > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.com then find your wifis interface name
ip link
it's probably wlan0 or something with w in it after that run
ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.<interface name you found earlier>
an finally
rc-service net.<interface name> start
and you have a working wifi now congrats!!! also if you are not using openrc, lmaoing at ur lyfe
>>Why are Linux DEs such pieces of shit, should I change to WM
gnome is shit, kde is ok, use a wm if you want a minimalist setup or use mate idk
>>Why is gentoo so unpopular, there's literally no learning/troubleshooting material about it apart from gentoowiki and youtube
because it's source based and takes so long to install
>>Why are MSWindows themes garbage in every DE
dunno
>>Why is LXDE "masked"
because gentoo developers didn't test it thoroughly, put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" in you make.conf if you want to use untested packages, also don't worry nothing breaks, i think
>>Why does my laptop freeze everytime I try to compile chromium(Is it the botnet?)
you need AT LEAST 8GB ram that's why
>>Will I fuck up if I mess around with the kernel withiut knowing about it
most you can do is not being able to bootup you kernel and if that happens just use a liveusb and chroot into your system and recompile your kernel
>>Where is the volume button in XFCE and Plasma
dunno
>>How do I adjust display brightness
compile the correct backlight drivers and use fn keys
>>
>>81447447
Nah ignore pessimist anon, you got this far with gentoo, just stick with it and keep figuring the problems out. You do end up with a fast system tailored for exactly your use case (if you can deal with the hassle and learning curve)
>>
>>81447447

>>81448034(cont.)
>>Is it a good idea to download apps like peazip tty-clock and CPU-G that are not available from my package manger at portage
no harm in it, your package managers repo is not a walled garden, also there are overlays, they are basically unofficial repos for gentoo, like aur for arch

>Unironically this "install gentoo" meme a really helpful advice for bewfags like me. I learned a lot of stuff installing gentoo, like how partitions are made in linux, what DHCP is, that terminal is extremely fast and comfy once you get used to it.
happy to hear that

>So as I understand it gentoo is made for servers not home PCs?
it's for turbo autists.
>>
Is OBS not yet compatible with pipewire?
I finally got around to trying it and even with the desktop audio source cranked up to 2000%, it's still too quiet in the recording.
>>
File: 1607778202364.gif (502 KB, 498x498)
502 KB
502 KB GIF
>>81448034
>>81448089
Fucking thanks! I didn't know I could get such good answers in a short time. I found almost all the answers to my problems.
>>
>>81448189
im happy to help
>>
>>81447447
>Why are Linux DEs such pieces of shit, should I change to WM
They weren't always shit but it feels like they're getting worse. Either with gimmicks, broken functionality, or weird removal of functionality/design choices

I can't stand current gnome but mate is pretty comfy IMO, Trinity is also nice but it's old enough that (last I checked) it's lacking modern comforts like drag-and-drop into modern web browsers and such
>>
>>81448282
Yeah agreed. XFCE with openbox is also still pretty comfy, but the major releases have slowly gone shit. KDE is the least terrible of the "big" players but I'm bored with them breaking shit on a rolling release distro.
>>
File: 20210503_215013.jpg (716 KB, 1632x1224)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
>>81441987
ok anon there you have it, indeed it was able to log to the journal just before kernel crapping out
the culprit 'brcmsmac', and apparently some other reported the same with the driver last year, it only happens when there is heavy traffic on the wl too, so that explains it
I wonder if its still an issue in up-to-date kernel+module tho
>>
>>81446291
what is systemd and why do anons hate it
>>
>>81448652
What is web search and why do anons not know how to use it?
>>
Anyone have problems with eye strain on Linux? This is the only think that keeps me tied on windows. I was thinking buying a flicker free monitor but I'm not sure if that solves the problem.
I don't see this problem on android so I'm curious about what could be causing this problem on Linux in Pc. I tried redshift, modifying gamma values, pwm and font rendering.
>>
File: chromium.jpg (41 KB, 1920x664)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
For anyone using plasma out there: If you open chromium and enable the bookmarks toolbar, the following happens?
It only happens for me on plasma and on chromium, is it too stupid to report on either bugtrackers?
>>
How do you update youtube-dl? I hasn't worked for like half a year, and I am on an ubuntu derivative so not like it'll ever get updated without having to fuck with it.
>>
>>81448873
I don't know what are you talking about, what is this 'eye strain', if not everything you've just mentioned?
>>
>>81448917
Uninstall the package. Download youtube-dl script, put it somewhere in your user path. Upgrade it with "youtube-dl -U" when it glitches out
>>
>>81448935
It's some kind of autistic spam, posted the same thing a few days ago
>>
Every time I use my linux partition my entire arm actually hurts.
Is there a way to modify the speed and/or acceleration of the mouse?
Windows 10 has an option to "improve pointer presicion". Is there a way to do something like this?
>>
I need to make a Live USB with persistemt storage where I could install some software and use it to run the system on another computer. Will simple dd to /dev/sdX suffice? I found an article at Fedora that asks you to use a special tool (read the man page too) to have persistence
>On live images, you can include a feature called a persistent overlay, which allows changes made to persist across reboots. You can perform updates just like a regular installation to your hard disk, except that kernel updates require manual intervention and overlay space may be insufficient. Without a persistent overlay, the stick will return to a fresh state each time it is booted.
This is said to be enabled by passing --overlay-size-mb <size> to that tool. I tried it and it doesn't work - a loopback device is listed in lsblk, but I cannot find a way to access it, and the default root is almost filled (and doesn't persist).

Any advice?
>>
>>81448652
A comprehensive suite of services that have, over the years, expanded in size and scope to encompass a wide range of OS facilities.
On one hand it's become so large that it's hard for someone not actively maintaining it to actually wrap their head around it
On the other hand back before systemD everyone wrote their own daemons / services / facilities with varying quality and with duplication of effort / resource utilization.
I don't know enough about the alternatives to systemD (or even really that much about systemD, this is all just what I learned from googling the same thing) to know how they aren't just a slightly different kind of lumpy wheel
>>
>>81448935
>>81448944
It's probably a veiled reference to screen tearing / jittering
>>
File: 1619479464977.jpg (34 KB, 584x554)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>81448940
Ok, thanks.
>>
>>81448972
I don't have specific advice for a Fedora USB live but it's doable in general and usually pretty easy (as in you pick the iso specifically for that).
The caveat though is you'll be killing your USB stick's lifespan with the constant read/writing that's bound to happen
>>
>>81448935
Its weird. I can't stay an hour looking at my screen without having my eyes tired. On windows i can stay all the day without any problem. Its not the font rendering since it happens even if I'm watching a movie. My shit monitor have a noticeable pwm but it don't seems to cause any problems on windows.

The only time i didn't got my eyes that tired was with a dell monitor on my university. Those computers use dual boot windows/ubuntu so i used to choose the second one to do my programming tests. The only thing i found different was this monitor had a higher framerate.
>>
>>81448959
I too am a newfag but I think it depends on your Desktop Environment. Like on Cinammon I remember it to be on settings.
>>
>>81449049
>>81448959
Yeah I forgot to mention.
I'm using Arch with BSPWM. So I guess it is a little more complicated.
>>
>>81449037
Brightness? Does it still happen when you install your DE's windows themes?
>>
>>81448944
Sorry if my posts looks like spam. I just want to get some help with this.
>>
>>81449058
man xinput
>>
>>81449037
I'd ask about the overuse of white on the UI that can happen with gnome or something, but given that w10 has #FFFFFF window background, and if it's not the default brightness, I have no idea.
good luck though
>>
>>81449094
I've used xinput to modify the Coordinate Transformation Matrix of the mouse, and while it feels a little better, it still feels weird to use.
Can you spoonfeed me on what I need to modify to improve the presicion?
Thanks.
>>
>>81449066
Well i have tried many DE before. Some of them with a theme similar to Windows and the problem persists.
>>
I've used Winamp as my music player since the late 90s but now that I'm trying to give linux a shot. some players like Qmmp feel like winamp and even support the skins, but don't seem to have anything like winamps media library feature. Any recommendations?
>>
>>81449206
maybe quod libet or clementine, perhaps even some mpd frontend.
I guess winamp itself runs fine on wine too
>>
>>81449206
Audacious? There's a "playlist manager" plugin that lets you import your music library
>>
>>81449263
Clementine is buggy, leaves you with duplicates in your library that can't easily be removed. Strawberry is the un-buggy version of clementine now
>>
>>81449264
Audacious doesn't seem to make any sort of distinction between a library and a playlist or I'm just doing something wrong
>>
>>81449407
Open audacious. Press "Y" (or right click it for menu, choose "Search library". Search Tool appears with "To import your music library into Audacious, choose a folder then click the "refresh" icon."
>>
I once had a working persistent Windows 10 installation on a USB-C key. It was useful for having a gaming partition I could use on the fly, but leave at home when I needed to go work somewhere. At one point, I decided to nuke-n-pave my local linux installation for fun. Since then, the USB has yet to be seen by the UEFI at all. I've tried various boot settings but nothing seemed to work. So I decided to reinstall windows on that key. I formatted it, then tried using an installation media. For some reason, windows installation media no longer sees that key as a location for windows to be installed. It is properly NTFS, I've reset the partition table on the drive, it has a boot flag, still nothing...

I need some expert advice so I can play League again...
>>
I installed MPlayer on gentoo with terminal but it doesn't show up in applications. I did
>emerge --search mplayer
and it does show up and the right application is properly installed.
But I can't find it in applications. I tried
>mplayer
command, it doesn't open app but lists a list of commands I can use.
The same thing happened with scrot and other few applications.

BTW how do I setup i3? I pressed <esc> at first boot and now it's blank space.
>>
>>81449067
isn't eye strain more of an issue with screen/monitor?
redshift works great for me, for both lowering brightness and giving it a red tint at night
other than that look if you're actually getting screen tearing or not, because that can also be pretty bothersome
>>
Linux is fun.
>>
>>81449263
Quod libet looks like it does what I want, even if it does lack winamp's soul
>>
>>81449625
I don't think many music players for linux take advantage of custom themes, it's basically a choose-a-toolkit thing
But I know what you mean, I've used foobar on wine for quite some time, at least winamp have bento and that winamp 2 theme people are so fond of.
>>
Gentoo screen scale(?) is so small. This happens in multiple DEs. The icons and texts are very small, Ican't read shit from terminal or firefox. I use a 1920×1080 monitor, and I set the resolution correctly. How can I fix this?
>>
>>81449691
oh and milkdrop, really miss that shit
>>
Shut down my pc, had a kernel panic. First time.
Restarted it, everything seems to be fine.
Anything I should look out for?
>>
Can I safely shutdown gentoo by pressing the power button
>>
I want to pair an xbox one controller and I have Manjaro. I can’t understand the guides that i have found online because i am a retard. Please someone give me exact directions so I never have to deal with this again.
>>
>>81446291
Anyone got advice on building a custom debian ISO?

I want to install Trinity and a few other niche packages that aren't in the default repos.
>>
>>81448972
Just use openSUSE live. It has persistence by default. It's also just a good distro in general.
>>
just got my pinebook, incredibly impressed with it so far (except for the fact its manjaro instead of arch).
>>
Can cmus access network locations/drives? I want to play my smooth jazz collection from my home PC while at the office.
>>
>>81449578
Many such cases!
>>
File: 1469804071707.jpg (77 KB, 794x972)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
I'm going to be upgrading my Lenovo Ideapad A320 Abr from 8gb ram to 20gb (it already has 4gb soldered in) plus the 16gb I bought.

What linux distro should I get for a professional video editing setup?

I currently have Windows 10 but I just don't like how it keeps hogging all my resources so I want to switch to Linux.
>>
>>81448959
disable acceleration and increase polling rate, that works for me

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mouse_polling_rate
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mouse_acceleration
>>
File: Memory Extraction.jpg (248 KB, 1920x960)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
How can I check the current keyboard layout from shell in both X11 and Wayland?
Please ignore my use of regex. It's just sad.

if [[ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" =~ ^(X|x)\d?$ ; ]]
then
case "$(setxkbmap -query | awk '/layout/ {print $2}')" in
^*dvorak*$ ) printf 'set -g prefix C-t\nbind C-t send-prefix\n' ;;
^us$ ) printf 'set -g prefix C-a\nbind C-a send-prefix\n' ;;
esac ;
else
printf 'ERROR: "Wayland"\n'
fi
>>
>>81449497
run
$ rehash
if you're using zsh or
$ . /etc/profile
if bash or just open a new terminal run it from there, you need to update your $PATH after every emerge also this might be happening because the executable name is a different than the package name, to find the executable name you can run
$ qlist <program name> | grep bin/
or
$ equery f <program name> | grep bin/
>>
>>81450044
if it doesn't happen regularly, just ignore it

>>81450143
yes.

>>81451381
not sure about cmus but mpd can
>>
When I run vim as root I get this:
$  doas vim 
doas (nicola@gentoo-F555L) password:
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key%

What does it mean? Any other program works without errors
>>
>>81449497
you can maually create .desktop files if they are not created for you when installing
>>
error: invalid preprocessing directive #cmakedefine
>>
>>81453005
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1238389/invalid-mit-magic-cookie-1-key-message-while-running-a-program-with-the-termin
>>
>>81446394
Your DNS server software doesn't dictate the routing policy.
>>
>>81453005
>doas
dilate
>>
>>81451274
Manjaro is one of the only distro's bothering to do good arm support
>>
How can I change Ubuntu to group same-app windows together, so that they can only be cycled through using Alt+`?

I don't like multiple windows of Firefox or IntelliJ having their own window to Alt+Tab, it clutters it up too much.
>>
>>81452613
In Wayland finding out what your keyboard layout is from a bash script is probably a security risk
>>
File: aff7fe53.png (330 KB, 540x540)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
When I run Wireshark I see regular ARP requests to the gateway host. Looks like every 60 seconds.

Does someone know where I can read up on the rules that determine this? Is this documented somewhere? Is this true for all Linux machines?
>>
is mint the final JUST WERKS?
i want JUST WERKS + stability + will run windows ltsc in VM without ever connecting it to internet(for office and adobe)
>>
Hi I'm on arch and i have a weird problem.
Every time I launch some applications (like chromium) all my bitmap fonts disappear from my font cache and i have to run `font-cache -f` to get them back. Is there something i can do to prevent this from happening?
>>
>>81453368
Thanks, I copied my own .Xauthority in /root/ and now the error is gone
>>
>>81454335
Not that anon, but what do you mean?
>>
How do i screengrab a window that needs to be scrolled down to render the rest of the page and then stich it together,scrot but scrollable.
I dont need it for browsers,but linux program windows and terminals
>>
>>81451381
If you can mount it "normally" (with nfs, sshfs etc) then I don't see any reason why it couldn't.
>>
>>81455456
Tbere probably is a better way, but what I do is the following:
>use xrandr to make my X screen bigger than my monitor, now I can pan around the big desktop
>maximize the windkw I want to screenshot, now has a size of something like 1920x10000
>
import screenshot.png
and click on the window
>revert desktop size back to normal
>>
>>81455653
Thats not viable lol,thats way to much shit for needing to do alot of screenshots from alot of programs.

It should be as simple as running the sh file or program and clicking a X window to generate it, much like 'scrot -s'
>>
>>81455777
But linux terminals could be thousands of lines, what would be the point of an unreadable png?
>>
>>81455813
It wouldnt be unreadable it would be scaled to the 1:1 of it being taken.
I can show you multi page wikipedia articles that browser extensions can multi screenshot the entire page and every bit of it is legible, as its all scaled 1:1

You do know you can "zoom in" on images correct?
>>
>>81455893
You said you didn't want it for browsers, you wanted it for terminals / other linux windows. If your terminal is 1200 lines of history it's pointless. Yes I've heard of zoom but I'd never bother even trying to read what you are trying to capture
>>
File: 1596466969467.png (421 KB, 820x922)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
How much of a performance loss in video games would you typically see if you were playing through a VM?
>>
>>81455951
If it is doable and legible on the same linux browser extensions, it would be doable the same way as it would be using X11 to do the rendering in both use cases.
>1200 lines
Why are you scared of terminal output? Have you never compiled a large program? Its called buffers and ram and 1200 lines is nothing,go compile firefox or gtk or something
It would just be a very large image that you would equally be able to zoom in on as the scaling is the same
>>
>>81455893
If it's for terminals, tou could try script(1)
>>
>>81456003
I'm not "scared of terminal output" faggot. I'm saying it's pointless. If you want to capture a bunch of terminal output you just pipe it to a file and store it as text. It's searchable, loadable in any text editor, easy to navigate and read. A mile high png is dumb. What is your use case?
>>
I am very new to BASH and trying to implement a bit flag.

declare -A errorArray
errorArray["1"]=0x01
errorArray["2"]=0x02
errorArray["3"]=0x04

and so on.

Surely there must be a more elegant built-in way. No?
>>
>>81456045
And how does that solve the problem i gave?
It dosent,if you cant comprehend things outside of the tty then dont bother commenting on them :)
>>
>>81456070
What is your use case?
>>
>>81456077
>>81455456
>>
>>81450409
wouldn't it be way easier to just do a basic netinstall and then manually add whatever extra repos you want?
>>
>>81456092
That's what you want to do, not what you want to use it for. This is the X Y problem, you are asking how to do Y and not telling us what X (the aim) is.
>>
>>81456113
The x is i want to fucking screenshot an entire fucking programs window output at the same fucking time.
We have scrollbars, the technology has existed for decades
>>
>>81456132
Ok, why do you want to take this window grab? What are you going to use it for?
>>
>>81456141
This is technologically irrelevant to any means producing the solution
>>
>>81456141
Goodness, why do you need a reason? He knows what he wants, doesn't he? Why do you need to know?
>>
>>81456165
Because very often people ask "how do I do X" because they want to solve Y. If you don't know what Y is, you don't know if they are trying to solve the right problem or if another better solution exists that they have no idea about. https://xyproblem.info/
>>
>>81456165
>He knows what he wants, doesn't he?
quite often people don't know what they want, or they think they have a solution but don't know how to do the solution, so they ask about the solution, rather than the problem
those kinds of questions are to try to extract the actual problem, to make sure they're getting a suitable solution
>>
>>81456180
>>81456213
I know what the fucking xy problem is, taking a screenshot doesn't solve another problem. It is simply a thing they would like to do, and it's possible everywhere else (emacs, web browser), so they're just looking for that same functionality.
>>
>>81456275
Well unless I know why they want to do it, I'm not going to try and help
>>
>>81456180
>>81456213
I literally want to get a screenshot of a full window.
As per my very first message, this has been indicated and expressed fluently
>>
>>81456361
In xfce terminal, just right click the window and select "Save contents...". You have now saved the full content of a terminal window.
>>
>>81456379
This does not solve the problem initially stated in the way it was stated initially
>>
>>81456395
Oh dear
>>
>>81456288
How hard is it for you to get through your thick fucking skull the dude wants to take a fucking screenshot?
>>
>>81456288
That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>81456361
not him, but i don't know of anything that can do this in a generic way
considering this kind of thing is handled by toolkits nowadays, you'd likely have write some kind of hook to identify, control, and scrape the contents of scrollable window elements, for each toolkit you want to do this in
or a more manual way might be to mark out where the window part is by hand, record how many pixels the area scrolls by with an arrow key or page up/down, then capture and scroll automatically and stitch the results together with imagemagick
>>
>>81456361
>>81456467
oh yea, another thing which may sometimes be an option, is to simply make your display big enough to see everything at once without a scrollbar, this is something i've done before
even if your physical display is too small, X can be set to a larger virtual resolution, or you could make a giant vnc server
>>
>>81446291
Is it normal that rebornOs (an arch linux distribution) last more than 3 minutos to start? I mean, I don't have the speedest hard drive, but 3-4 minutes is too much.
>>
>>81456361
https://github.com/prenex/termshot
Does this help at all?
>>
Can I create alias that won't add space between command and arguments?
alias test='command arg'
test ument

would work as
command argument

instead of
command arg ument
>>
Thoughts on aria2?
>>
>>81452693
>>81455541
i'll play with it, thanks for letting me know that it's possible in one way or another
>>
>>81451418
The editing software, be it kdenlive, da vinci or something is what you should be thinking about.
But you might go with Ubuntu Studio, it's not too special : based on Ubuntu LTS and XFCE desktop. If you need software X it will probably run on Ubuntu LTS in some way.

Make a dual boot or triple boot of linux distros if you want to try them while not fucking your main one (e.g. : Ubuntu 21.04 or Debian 11 in the same distro family as Ubuntu Studio)
>>
>>81457235
No, but you can do it with a function:
test () {
command"$@"
}
>>81457398
For some reason torrents stopped woking on it for me. Also, the dev limited the maximum concurrent downloads to a stupidly low number, so you might as well just curl or wget with gnu parallel.
>>
>>81450409
This >>81456106
Create a script or whatever that adds the repos you want and installs the wanted software.
>>
>>81446291
i am going to install manjaro on 128gb ssd partition, do i need swap home all that? or is just root sufficient?
>>
How do I into vim?
I'm currently using sublime but I feel like I should switch to vim sooner rather than later.
But it all feels a little overwhelming, I know it'll pay off eventually but I have to essentially relearn everything and short term it'll just slow me down on all my work
>>
>>81458543
Check out vimtutor, read the documentation, read other people's dotfiles, start using it for literally everything and you'll get into the habit sooner than you'll know.
>>
>>81458543
What >>81458572 said, but also know that it will take some time to just get the hang of the movement. Don't let this discourage you :)
>>
Hello frens, trying linux for personal use, will be on one month vacation, so trying to configure fedora to have everything i need for a trip.
So i have few questions that i hope you can help me with.

1. What is common workflow of installing new software on linux?
For example on windows i did something like
- Look for it in scoop, if nothing found
- Google it
- Install it from software github or webpage

2. What do i do if there is no installation package for my distro (trying to install mpv and mpv.io does not have option for fedora)

3. Packages from debian or ubuntu will work on fedora? If not, what packages for other distros are compatible with fedora?

4. Can i add multiple package managers to single linux installation?

5. Is package manager part of the system? asking because it feels like it is unlike on windows.
>>
>>81458706
Welcome in the magic world of getting the software you need from trusted sources!

1. You use your package manager (or a GUI for it) to search, install and update the software you want.

2. Usually in those pages a couple of distros are listed, but if it's available for "linux" it probably is for your distro too (especially for one as big as fedora)

3. They could be installed with some work, but you should stick to fedora's repos

4. You can, but honestly you shouldn't. Installing software with different package managers sometimes creates problems with the dependencies (speaking from experience)

5. It's not, the package manager is a software like any other, however it is a pretty important piece of software. It's a lot different from windows but, i believe, much better. Using a package manager you install software from a central place without having to download and execute strange binaries from shady sites.
>>
>>81446291
when you use linux terminal to ssh does it show your username? i was wondering because i used my real name for username and my social profile comes up if you search it
>>
should i use network namespaces, containers or fully-fledged virtual machines if i just want to run my torrent client's traffic trough vpn? i think there was also a client that allowed you to choose a network adapter, anyone knows the name by chance?
>>
File: Isolation.jpg (292 KB, 1920x1080)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
>>81446291
I've been working on this for a minute this morning and I'm unsure of my syntax usage with switch statements and the comments that I've placed in them.

Would a more experienced anon please glance over this? I could use input.
I often make rediculous and unnecessarily long scripts without thinking.

switch -regexp -- "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" {
# x11
^(?i)x(?-i)\d{1,2}$ {
switch -regexp -- "$(setxkbmap -query | awk '/layout/ {print $2}')" {
#dvorak
^[\S\s]*(?i)dvorak(?-i)[\S\s]*$ {
printf 'unbind C-b\nset -g prefix C-t\nbind C-t send-prefix\n' ;
}
# us
^\s*(?i)us(?-i)\s*$ {
printf 'unbind C-b\nset -g prefix C-j\nbind C-j send-prefix\n' ;
}
# other
default {
if test -z "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" ;
then
printf "ERROR: Unset Variable: XDG_SESSION_TYPE\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
elif ! "$(command -v setxkbmap)" ;
then
printf "ERROR: Command Non-existant.\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
elif test -x "$(command -v setxkbmap)" ;
then
printf "ERROR: Command Unexecutable.\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
fi ;
}
} ;
}
# wayland
^(?i)wayland(?-i)$ {
printf "ERROR: wayland implementation incomplete.\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
}
# other
default {
printf "ERROR: wayland implementation incomplete\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
}
} ;

>>
>>81458831
thanks a lot for the info
>>
Firefox suddenly dosent let me right click > save as...
Downgrading didnt solve the problem either
v88
>>
>>81457522
Any way to make it permanent?
>>
very new to linux, decided to install manjaro on my laptop. do i choose open source or proprietary drivers? my laptop has a intel cpu with the shitty ass integrated graphics
>>
>>81459024
You are welcome
>>
>>81458960
And I just noticed that one of the tests in the if loop should be inverted.
This line specifically:
elif test -x "$(command -v setxkbmap)" ;

Would the proper syntax be A, B or C?
A: #elif test ! -x
B: #elif ! test -x
C: #elif test -x !
>>
File: 20210504_113303.jpg (1.89 MB, 3264x1836)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
I recovered an ancient tome of UNIX knowledge, what can you all tell me about this "C Shell"?
>>
>>81459484
Sorry, but I keep noticing confusing issues.
if test -z "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE"         ;
if ! "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" ;

Do these 2 strings work the same in practice?
>>
>>81458572
>>81458614
Thanks anons
>it will take some time to just get the hang of the movement
Yeah I honestly feel like this is what scared me off the most but I guess
>start using it for literally everything
is the best way.
>>
>>81458614
>>81458572
>>81458543
Oh also:
Should I use vim or nvim? Is there a notable difference?
>>
>>81459498
You can find seashells in the ocean
>>
>>81459498
https://www.tcsh.org/
>>
>>81458706
>2. What do i do if there is no installation package for my distro (trying to install mpv and mpv.io does not have option for fedora)
snap/flatpak/appimage or compile from sources. Compiling certain programs may require tweaking to get it compiled.
>mpv
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build

>4. Can i add multiple package managers to single linux installation?
The extra package management should use a different installation root for it's programs and libraries. afaik GNU Guix is the only one to designed to be used like this.

>5. Is package manager part of the system? asking because it feels like it is unlike on windows.
Package management combined with it's repos are what really make a system.
>>
>>81458832
The shell prompt? You can modify it to show only the working directory if you wish.
>>
should i use a firewall? if yes, which one?
i don't understand what gufw actually does so i wanna try something else, something that let's be block ports, domains and see who tries to access which port
>>
>>81459239
To make what permanent? The function? Just define iit in your .bashrc, same as you would an alias.
>>
>>81460588
nftables
flush ruleset
table inet my_table {
chain my_input {
type filter hook input priority filter; policy drop;
iif "lo" accept comment "Localhost"
ip6 saddr f000::/4 accept
ip saddr { 10.0.0.0/8, 169.254.0.0/16, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16, 224.0.0.0/4 } accept
ct state invalid drop comment "Invalid connections"
ct state established,related accept comment "Traffic originated from us"
ip6 nexthdr ipv6-icmp icmpv6 type { destination-unreachable, packet-too-big, time-exceeded, parameter-problem, echo-reply, mld-listener-query, mld-listener-report, mld-listener-done, nd-router-solicit, nd-router-advert, nd-neighbor-solicit, nd-neighbor-advert, nd-redirect, router-renumbering } accept
ip protocol icmp icmp type { destination-unreachable, router-advertisement, router-solicitation, time-exceeded, parameter-problem } accept comment "ICMP"
ip protocol igmp accept comment "IGMP"
tcp dport 51413 accept comment "Transmission"
udp dport 51413 accept comment "Transmission uTP"
}

chain my_forward {
type filter hook forward priority filter; policy drop;
}

chain my_output {
type filter hook output priority filter; policy accept;
}
}
>>
>>81460649
looks too complicated for something i don't really know if i need. my networking knowledge is weak, that's why i asked for a simple one
>>
>>81460588
>>81460678
ufw
>>
>>81460678
that config is simple desu

>>81460714
I heard it's just as complicated to configure as the real thing. idk, post results
>>
>>81460714
>>81460733
something with a GUI?
>>
>>81460804
why dont you fucking search
>>
>>81460867
something that looked really good was fedora's preinstalled firewall, don't know its name tho
>>
>>81460899
Firewalld I'm pretty sure, firewalld-config is the gui
>>
Is there any merit in creating a uncompressed kernel image using 'cat' for mkinitcpio?
Im not emedded and i've got a ton of space on my ssd,the uncompressed image is 100ish mb
>>
>>81461644
Uncompressing is less costly than reading the image from a disk.
>>
>>81461780
How?
You'd have to read a compressed file in to ram decompress it and then read it,vs just reading the uncompressed image
The decompressed image would be the same size in both cases.
>>
>>81461812
"just reading the uncompressed image" takes longer, CPU+RAM is super fast. If you got some kind of dinosaur computer combined with super-fast storage the uncompressed image could possibly win.
>>
if I run a javascriptless and cookiless terminal web browser with my terminal emulator not being full-screened through tor do I have anything to worry about? I've been told the tor-browser is the only "secure" way to browser onion links but that can't be true right?
>>
>>81461948
also if I spoof a common user-agent
>>
>>81446291
Should I use propietary or non-propietary drivers for my Nvidia GPU?
>>
What would be the consequences, if any, of not updating an Arch System for a few weeks / month at max?
I'm using my phone data but I only have like 8Gb of 'normal' speed and now that I've been throttled its so slow I literally can't run pacman -Syu like it fucking times out even if I leave it running all night.
Should I just switch to a stable release distro like Debian? Or is it OK to run an update once a month or so?
>>
>>81462248
Propietary, the other ones don't perform great
>>
>>81455061
Bumping this guy, have the exact same problem.
>>
I just installed Ubuntu over my old windows install now that I'm ready to move over full time

I realized about two minutes after doing this that all my media and music as well as some documents I need are on two drives in sfv, which Ubuntu cannot see.

Do I have to install windows again to rotate the stuff off to external storage then format the drives or is there a way to get at them in linux? Im going to format both as ext4 once I'm done but I need my shit first
>>
>>81463094
Whats sfv?
>>
>>81455061
>>81462966
Just a guess, but if you're referring to embedded bitmaps, as opposed to pure bitmap font formats, then there's a fontconfig option you can try explicitly enabling:
><match target="font"><edit name="embeddedbitmap"><bool>true</bool></edit></match>
otherwise I don't know.
>>
>>81463145
I mean a spanned volume made of two dynamic disks
no idea where I got sfv from
>>
>>81462774
you should be fine upgrading just once a month, just keep your eye on the arch site's news posts
occasionally there will be a "Required update" post or similar letting you know to basically upgrade your system within a certain amount of time or else something may break. those are pretty uncommon though
also don't sync the repos (pacman -Sy) during this time as you're only ever supposed to when you're also upgrading all your packages
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported
>>
>>81463094
Yes you can read them in Linux, you need the ldmtool to do it, should be in ubunt somewhere
>>
>>81448972
puppy linux might be good for that, be it a cute little system that targets things like a crappy PC with 256MB RAM and dead hard drive. wiki even says you can save your session to DVD-RW, CD-R, or any storage at hand.
>>
File: gmn_000.png (75 KB, 673x401)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
I've been playing around with im2a, which converts images to colored ASCII text for use on a Gemini capsule. It's pretty great. The shades of the colors add a lot of depth.

Is there a way to generate ASCII images using specific words or phrases? I'm looking for a mushroomy vibe (hallucinating text.) I might have an image of an eye made out of suggestive words at the header of a horror story, or something like that.
>>
Is youtube-dl still alive/workable? I need some way to get a lot of niche shit
>>81447447
>Where is the volume button in XFCE and Plasma
I'm running xubuntu 20.04 lts. You can either make a panel anywhere on your screen(think the windows icon bar on the bottom of your windows screen with the start button) and right click > add new item to panel, and use the pulseaudio pluggin, or just open said program from the multimedia tab in the whisker menu(your start menu, also available as an addition to whatever panel you want) and leave it up in a workspace with the rest of your music stuff. I leave it with pithos and rhythmbox in their own little workspace.
>>
>>81458706
1. What is common workflow of installing new software on linux?
>sudo apt install -whatever-
>synaptic package manager(installed with the line above)
>gdebi, and a source with your .deb file of choice, just right click > open with gdebi. also available from number 1.
>>
File: coffee.jpg (151 KB, 1600x900)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
I'm running Gentoo on a lapton and trying to use the SD card reader, but no luck. Nothing comes up when I run lsblk. Anyone know if there is something in the kernel I need to enable for this?
>>
>>81464529
Look into the sdcard reader itself. What bus it's connected to etc.
>>
>>81464408
Maybe once every two months it needs an update, but this is no issue as long as you're not on Debian or some other stabilised distro.
>>
>>81463094
I have no idea what spanned volumes are, but ntfs-3g might be relevant to your interests.
>>
>>81464722
In windows world, if you have a partition that doesn't fill a drive, and say "Yes please make this partition fill the drive", it doesn't grow the partition, it makes a new one then links the two together as one logical volume. It's a bit obscure but you can use ldmtool to find them, combine them and mount them in Linux for r/w.
>>
How do i into mpv scaling?
>>
>>81465010
You can into man mpv, or into the documentation website
>>
my laptop can't boot from the micro sd card slot so i wanna put the installation on the sd card and the bootloader or whatever on a flash drive so after i start it i can unplug the flash drive and plugin something useful like a mouse or headphones. anyone know how i would go about doing that?
>>
>>81465098
am already at lazy
Need in to
>>
>>81465010
~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf
>Ctrl+- add video-zoom -0.25
>Ctrl+= add video-zoom 0.25
>Ctrl+l add video-pan-x -0.05
>Ctrl+h add video-pan-x 0.05
>Ctrl+k add video-pan-y 0.05
>Ctrl+j add video-pan-y -0.05
>>
>>81465124
Can your laptop see the flash drive plugged in to a usb hub as bootable? A lot can. (I guess if you only have one usb port you already have a usb hub somewhere)
>>
>>81465010
>>81465144
sorry that should be input.conf, not mpv.conf
>>
>>81465152
it can see usb drives i just wanna use the built in sd card slot because it's more convenient then having a usb drive hanging off that could accidentally get un plugged or something
>>
>>81464529
Is the reader too old? e.g. 128GB card in a reader that supports 32GB. Sounds dumb, but I added an old multi-reader to a PC and found out it supported up to 2GB cards, the yet older limit.
>>
>>81465124
>>81465172
proper way would be to have a /boot partition on USB drive or even your internal HDD with your OS's kernel and stuff.
lazy way might be to install onto the SD card as if it were a normal drive, then try sbm i.e. Smart Boot Manager from the USB drive. Which you can also boot from wired network (PXE) or CD/DVD.
>>
File: Karl.jpg (133 KB, 1280x720)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>81446291
How do you personally access wi-fi using wpa_supplicant? I'm looking up tutorials online and I feel like there are a thousand ways to do this.
>>
>>81465579
Enable the wpa_supplicant service.
Add this to your wpa_supplicant.conf to be able to use wpa_cli as a normal user if you're in the wheel group:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel

I don't recommend modifying wpa_supplicant.conf via wpa_cli, so add this to your wpa_supplicant.conf as well:
update_config=0

When you want to add a new network, I recommend doing it this way:
wpa_passphrase <SSID> <PASS> >> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

You can set the priority for each network like so, so that wpa_supplicant knows which one to connect to if there are multiple networks in the given area:
# Bigger number = higher priority

network={
ssid="Home"
psk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
priority=80
}

network={
ssid="Hotspot"
psk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
priority=20
}

Run
wpa_cli reconfigure
after modifying the config (no need to restart the service).
If a higher priority network appears while you're connected to another network, run
wpa_cli reconnect
to make it connect to the new network immediately.
When you wanna select a network manually, you can simply run
wpa_cli
on the command line, then
list_networks
to list available networks and
select_network <NUM>
to select a network.
Also, if you wanna scan networks, run
wpa_cli
, then scan, wait for CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS and run
scan_results
>>
>>81455998
Depends if your guest platform supports 3D acceleration or not.
>>
Why is Ubuntu so bloaty?
>>
>>81465950
it's designed to be used by people who don't computer
>>
so i have about $5k worth of DOGE on an old HDD that's recognised in BIOS but not in windows. never used linux before but perhaps the HDD might be recognisable there i figure?

what would be the best distro (?) to use to do this? plan on using a live USB
>>
what's up with my start times? why is everything sluggish now?
>>
>>81448917
pip (may be pip3) install --upgrade youtube-dl (may be youtube_dl)
>>
Due to an unforeseen gpu death I had to switch from nvidia to amd, what do I need to do to get Gentoo working with the new gpu? Is it just regen the kernel or is there more?
>>
>>81464152
figlet, toilet.
>>
How do I figure out the name of a program based on pid? Something keeps binding to port 3306 (for mysql), and I don't know what the hell it is. I keep terminating it, and it keeps coming right back.
>>
>>81467382
pgrep $PID
>>
>>81466822
okay so i did a little looking, going to try use ubuntu from a live usb and testdisk. if anyone can think of anything that may help please let me know thanks
>>
Lets say I wanted to have a selection of old PC ambient sounds playing in the background without having something like cmus or youtube open to do it.

How would I achieve this?
>>
>>81467291
Yes, but if you have a custom kernel then you want to make sure you didn't remove amd stuff. If it's genkernel then it should be fine.
You also want to make sure Mesa is installed if it isn't already.
>>
>>81446291
Every time I boot ubuntu (or any distro, even arch based ones) I have to run safe mode and do a repair in order to boot properly. I think it has to do with my hardware, 5700 xt and 3950x. But there's almost no info, help.
>>
>>81467546
Whats a safe mode?
>>
>>81467584
Recovery mode
>>
>>81467589
Doesn't ring a bell. You get dropped to initramfs because the root partition couldn't be mounted?
>>
>>81467401
Doesn't seem to work, boss.
>>
>>81467596
It just hangs after grub, only until I reboot and enter recovery mode in grub then run the repair option, then it lets me boot into ubuntu.
>>
>>81467615
Oops, I got it backwards, my bad. Try "ps aux | grep 3306"
>>
Alright, I've been at this for hours. Please god someone explain what i'm doing wrong.
switch -regexp -- "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" {
# x11
^(?i)x(?-i)\d{1,2}$ {
switch -regexp -- "$(setxkbmap -query | awk '/layout/ {print $2}' ;)" {
#dvorak
^[\S\s]*(?i)dvorak(?-i)[\S\s]*$ {
printf 'unbind C-b\nset -g prefix C-t\nbind C-t send-prefix\n' ;
}
# us
^\s*(?i)us(?-i)\s*$ {
printf 'unbind C-b\nset -g prefix C-j\nbind C-j send-prefix\n' ;
}
# other
default {
if test ! "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" ;
then
printf "ERROR: Unset Variable: XDG_SESSION_TYPE\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
elif ! "$(command -v setxkbmap)" ;
then
printf "ERROR: Command Non-existant\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
elif ! test -x "$(command -v setxkbmap)" ;
then
printf "ERROR: Command Unexecutable\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
fi
}
} ;
}
# wayland
^(?i)wayland(?-i)$ {
printf "ERROR: wayland implementation incomplete.\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
}
# other
default {
printf "ERROR: incomplete.\n" > &2 & return '0' ;
}
} ;

>>
>>81463170
I'll try it, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
How do I hide the title bar (not the menu bar) on MATE Terminal? I did it before, can't remember how
>>
>>81467847
what do you mean? mine only has a menu bar and the decoration, do you mean turning off the decoration?
>>
>>81467863
I think that's what I'm talking about, yeah. I prefer to alt+click and drag it around, I don't want any window decorations or anything.
>>
>>81467899
hmm, i don't see an option for this, like there's nothing in
gsettings list-keys org.mate.Marco.window-keybindings

that suggests this
you don't have to use Marco as your WM in MATE, though, many WM's do support toggling decorations, such as OpenBox
>>
>>81468008
What the fuck, I just had it configured this way under Arch on another machine. What the hell was the setting?
I could use Openbox, yeah. This is literally the one window I don't want decorations for. Thanks Anon
>>
>>81468051
i could have sworn i had done this before back in gnome2 as well, just recently moved back to mate
it might be there, just not exposed anywhere, i'm not sure
>>
File: Visible Confusion.gif (1.38 MB, 480x246)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB GIF
So I'm trying to get UID remapping for bind mounts to work in proxmox, and I'm running into two issues.

First, I can't write to the mounted directories. I have no idea why this is the case. I have the UID remappings configured. I can read the contents of the mapped directories. I just can't write to them.
[colde[lxc.idmap: u 0 100000 1000
lxc.idmap: g 0 100000 1000
lxc.idmap: u 1000 1000 1
lxc.idmap: g 1000 1000 1
lxc.idmap: u 1001 101001 64535
lxc.idmap: g 1001 101001 64535[/code]

Second, I can no longer write to the home directory within the container after the UID/GID remapping.

chown -R to the remapped UUIDs doesn't seem to do anything either. At a total loss here because everything I read online is doing exactly this and "thanks it works".
>>
>>81468077
>[colde[

Thanks brain.

lxc.idmap: u 0 100000 1000
lxc.idmap: g 0 100000 1000
lxc.idmap: u 1000 1000 1
lxc.idmap: g 1000 1000 1
lxc.idmap: u 1001 101001 64535
lxc.idmap: g 1001 101001 64535
>>
>>81468066
It's driving me crazy. Hopefully somebody knows, I'm really kicking myself for not writing it down now. Figured this would be something most terminal emulators would have support for
>>
how to make it so it shows my gpu?
>>
>>81468120
i would imagine all of them support it, even if only for things like fullscreen windows
the question is if you can hook a keybind up to it
i'll keep looking since i do rarely use that as well
>>
>>81468139
>>81468120
well i found a post from 2009 describing how to achieve this with an external tool with metacity, so i guess it just didn't have the option for a keybind
i did use openbox with gnome2 for a bit so i was probably just thinking of that
maybe make a feature request, shouldn't be hard to implement
>>
>>81468168
xmm interesting. wouldn't hurt to request it, yeah - i'm positive i literally, actually had it configured this way the other night through a weird dconf setting maybe. what the fuck.
>>
>>81468184
well there's still a chance it was added after 2009 then just buried somewhere
>>
>>81468192
either way i'm going to bed before i rip my hair out over it lol
if someone sees this and it rings a bell please lemme know
>>
LATEX IS BROKEN ON ARCH
libpoppler.so.109 is not found. i only got libpoppler.so.110
if i downgrade i break huge dependency cycle going all the way back to gtk and gimp
>>
>>81468229
im actually running artix but that shouldnt matter
>>
File: gif-final-1.gif (350 KB, 924x500)
350 KB
350 KB GIF
What does /g/ use for creating GIFs on Linux? I know GIMP is apparently the best/only real option ATM, but maybe I missed something.
I actually found a GIMP PythonFu script that supposedly does what I want, but it's a pain getting the scripts in GIMP to be recognized, let alone work.

What I'd like to create is a square that has some stylized text scrolling (marquee) from right to left endlessly, so at different points in time you only see 1 or 2 letters out of the full word.

I understand how I can create this frame by frame using layers, but that would take ages.
>>
>>81468285
the answer is always ffmpeg
>>
>>81468559
>windows theme
/r/cringe
>>
File: out.gif (261 KB, 200x134)
261 KB
261 KB GIF
>>81468559
>>81468285
>>
>>81468571
>/r/
>>
>>81468243
Bro... SystemDevil granted them some powers...
> Commits on May 3, 2021
> upgpkg: texlive-bin 2021.58686-3: poppler 21.05.0 rebuild
>>
>>81468559
the amount to scroll by is the fraction of the width of the input per frame
that is, the input is 600 pixels, so 1.0 moves 600 pixels per frame
since i want it to move 600 pixels (scroll once) over the whole clip, and the clip is 5 seconds * 30 fps frames (150), that results in 4 pixels i want it to move per frame
; 1/600*(600/(5*30))
~0.00666666666666666667
>>
Is there a way to save an URL as a file? I have a folder with movies I download and since I try to legally stream those that are available I'd like to have the links saved there too, in a way that allows me to open them with mpv and stream them seamlessly.
I have tried "dragging and dropping" from the firefox bar, but that crates a .desktop file that mpv cannot open.
>>
>>81458572
>>81458614
Hey, I actually have it a try for a day and it's clumsy as shit and I feel very tempted to just go back to my old editor whenever I just need something done fast.
But every time I push through, I feel like I've learnt something. Thanks again for the encouragement.
>>
>>81469051
you're asking for a couple different things here
do you want a file which opens your browser to that page?
or a file which is a capture of that page at that point in time?
or do you want to download some video/media which is available on that page?
>>
>>81469159
I'll try to explain myself.
Where I live there is a legal streaming site I sometimes use to watch movies. The site works fine within the ytdl hook of mpv, so I can copy the url and paste it into my player and it takes care of the rest.
The thing I don't like is having to open firefox to go to the site and copy the url, I would like to have a file saved inside my movies folder which stores a url to the movie.
The objective is being able to open anything inside that folder with mpv and have it just play (wether it is an mkv, mp4, or url) without having to open other programs and manually copy the urls.
>>
>>81469225
i see, it sounds like what you want then is a playlist file, you can enter a url into such a file, and open the file with mpv as if it was a normal video, and mpv will open the url as you do now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
>>
>>81446291
>https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

so after reading through most of this wiki i'm stuck between ubuntu and tails. one of the main reasons i want to start using linux is security and anonymity. the plan is to install my first linux distro on my old windows 7 laptop and slowly get comfortable with the command line and eventually play around with kali. so i guess my question is should i install ubuntu or tails? or should i just say fuck it and go straight to kali?
>>
>>81469278
Thank you Anon! That is exactly what I was looking for!
>>
>>81469225
>>81469278
incase this is too much information, you can make one by literally just making a text file with the url pasted in, and saved with a .m3u extension
>>
>>81469375
Yes, I've read thank you. I was a bit confused by the amount of stuff it seemingly needed, but it's actually the extended protocol that needs all that fluff
>>
>>81446291
I have followed this guide to sandbox a firefox browser
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Simple_sandbox
And works fine but with my normal user I can't access newly created files by the sandboxed user that run firefox. I can access only files created before giving the commands
chgrp -R larry /home/ff
chmod -R 770 /home/ff

So what is the right way to give access to the newly created files withot giving everytime the commands above?
>>
>>81469364
>https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
ubuntu has security by the inherence of being linux (+ canonical updates?), but no anonymity because of canonical. i'm not going to discourage you from using specific niche distros like tails and kali, but you can be RELATIVELY secure and anonymous with most non-enterprise distros.
>>
>>81469364
If you need to slowly getting comfortable with command line I suggest to start with a common and easy distro like ubuntu or linux mint.
Also kali linux is good, In the end is only like debian + many security tool, but you don't need all these tools.

If the laptop is old is better going with the xfce version of the chosen distro
>>
>>81469611
>On 20 February 2016, Mint's website was compromised and backdoors were planted in the downloads, the database for Linux Mint forums were also compromised., some have raised concerns for this, warning people not to use Linux Mint.

ubuntu it is :D
stupid question time, what is xfce?
>>
>>81469646
Xfce is the desktop environment. By default ubuntu has gnome I think.

https://xubuntu.org/
>>
>>81469693
Little disclaimer: not all distros create separate subdistros with different DEs, this is because you can actually install the one you want anywhere (you can even have multiple ones and swich on the fly), so don't be scared if there isn't a xdebian or kfedora
>>
>>81469790
There is a Fedora KDE spin, though!
>>
>>81469840
That's what I get for writing random letters without checking. My sentence is still valid though, you are not forced to use the DE your distro comes packaged with.
>>
1) Is slackware dead?
2) When you dd copy something like writing a live image to a usb drive or zero write a drive and specify blocksize eg bs=1m it's smart right, and if your input file ends half way through a block or the media runs out of space half way through a block it simply half finishes the block?
>>
Would you consider learning Vim to be important?
>>
Why is scrolling down/up the steam page on the client for Linux so damn slow compared to Windows?
>>
>>81470618
Linux Steam has lots of problems.
>Taskbar context menu Online/Offline/Whatever switcher only ever displays a tick on Online regardless of what's set
>Update available popup is always blacked out, fixes itself for the split second it's still open after clicking Apply Update button
>>
>>81469527
Nevermind I found how to do it
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/1314/how-to-set-default-file-permissions-for-all-folders-files-in-a-directory
chmod g+s /home/ff
>>
my ubuntu is kinda slow
it doesnt use much processing power but some actions take some seconds to get done after i click, for example terminal takes almost 2 seconds to open instead of being instantaneous and i have no idea why this happens when its not using much resources.
I am dual booting if it matters, its getting annoying.
>>
Is there any way to get rid of that little delay when alt-tabbing in KDE?
I know it's deliberate and not a bug but my workspace is always a 20 windows-fest and I find it pretty annoying
>>
>>81470822
Try increasing animation speed in the settings, I think it's under window manager settings? I can't check to you may have to do some digging
>>
>>81470822
My alt tabbing in Fedora KDE has always been instant.
>>
>>81470765
Also realized just now that it must have something to do with mouse.
I am watching something on my second monitor and browsing firefox, if i click on the video it also freezes for some seconds.
Seriously the fuck is up with this shit.
Perhaps ubuntu is also throwing a fit cause dual monitors?
>>
>>81470872
>>81470880
Thanks, found something in an old thread on the KDE forums that seems to have fixed it.

kwriteconfig5 --file ~/.config/kwinrc --group TabBox --key DelayTime 0
qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
>>
I switched graphics cards from Nvidia to AMD and when I boot I just get a black screen, not even a tty. It shows output such as "loading udev" or whatever, but when it loads the gpu driver it just blanks. I have the right drivers and modules loaded (amdgpu). I can ssh into the machine, and using neofetch see that it's using the drivers successfully. I am using Gentoo and I did regen my kernel already. Anyone have a clue what is wrong?
>>
>>81470901
>>81470765
also just got a look at /var//log/syslogs and i have this
May  5 09:10:13 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 37 with keysym 37 (keycode 10).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 31 with keysym 31 (keycode a).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 32 with keysym 32 (keycode b).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 33 with keysym 33 (keycode c).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 34 with keysym 34 (keycode d).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 35 with keysym 35 (keycode e).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 38 with keysym 38 (keycode 11).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 39 with keysym 39 (keycode 12).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 36 with keysym 36 (keycode f).
May 5 09:10:22 desktop gnome-shell[2528]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 37 with keysym 37 (keycode 10).

>>
>>81470618
most of steams "ui" are webpages displayed using webkit, so I guess it's an issue with hardware acceleration (or the lack of it). You could try starting steam in terminal and see if it outputs anything related to this.
>>
>>81470296
1) nah, he just moved to rolling-release model
https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/
>>81470592
try vimtutor, if you don't like it – don't use it
>>
>>81470296
1. No, 15.0 is now in beta https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11210 People expect a stable release this summer.
2. yes
>>
File: bi3s3.jpg (127 KB, 1200x675)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
I'm making a bunch of scripts for my personal use. The scripts themselves goto /usr/local/{,s}bin but they share a functions file "functions.sh", where is that file supposed to go? /usr/local/lib?
>>
>>81471368
You can just put it in usr/local/bin (or anywhere in PATH actually). If you decide to put it to somewhere not in PATH just refer to it with full path.
>>
>>81471423
Just being autistic about it, since it's not an executable it shouldn't go to bin.
>anywhere in PATH actually
Can files be sourced like that??
>>
>>81471469
>not executable
yeah, it maybe won't work with PATH then. local/lib could be a better choice.
>>
Is there a new fluxbox that isnt fluxbox but is fluxbox enough to use it as fluxbox?
Its showing its age
>>
best way to add the gcp dot to xmobar?
>>
>>81458706
>fedora
Add these repos
https://rpmfusion.org/
>>
How would I get a count of results when using the find command?
>>
Where's the C: drive?
>>
>>81472173
pipe it to wc -l
as in
find . |wc -l
>>
>>81472214
Oh ok epic, I was trying that but I thought I needed to use the exec switch to run wc on the results and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
Based and thank you.
>>
>>81472189
On your wine prefix.
>>
Edge is now available in beta for Linux
>>
>>81472189
~/.wine/drive_c
>>
>>81472398
Hasn't it been for a while already?
Not that anyone would install it on purpose...
>>
>>81446291
My uni forces me to install some "MS Teams" and no way im gonna install that botnet. Is there a way to isolate a chromium session for just teams?
>>
>>81473364
Look into the "strict site isolation" feature.
>>
my fucking ubuntu installation is now using laptop resolution for somereason, i think my drivers went poof and driver manager is constantly loading. how do i install drivers from the command line? I tried to run nvidia's .run file but it says im running an x server
>>
>>81474207
Don't use the .run file on ubuntu/debian. Use the drivers provided by apt. If you need the latest on stable releases then check the backports.
They don't even have the "x is running" issue. You'll need to reboot later.
>>
>>81474207
can you just xrandr and fix it that way?
>>
>> I use Gentoo, and I have a problem...
> There are two big problems with Gentoo Linux: first, most if not all Gentoo systems are completely broken (missing or mismatched header files, broken compiler etc. are just the tip of the iceberg); secondly, it should be called Gentoo GNU/Linux.
> For these reasons, it is impossible to support rxvt-unicode on Gentoo. Problems appearing on Gentoo systems will usually simply be ignored unless they can be reproduced on non-Gentoo systems.
lmao
>>
Does anyone know of a grey theme? Tired of either all black, all blue or all white themes, they're killing my eyes. Grey would be perfect, can't find anything great regarding gtk-themes
>>
>>81476095
breeze-dark is sorta dark gray imo.
>>
>>81476095
themix/oomox?
>>
>>81476095
I use Cloudy (soft grey) and I quite like it. Papirus icons, dark
>>
>>81476095
Take the dracula pill
>>
bought a new computer but i need a monitor for it, so what is the ideal resolution to run GNOME 40 on? its main purpose will be programming, everything else is secondary
>>
>>81468077
>So I'm trying to get UID remapping for bind mounts to work in proxmox
are you even supposed to do that? the uuid is how the system identifies the drive iirc
>>
>>81476095
all default mint dark themes are grey
>>
what is the most active foss video game?
>>
>>81477951
probablylike supertux as far as just general overall playerbase goes. a lot of kids played it at some time or another without knowing anything about foss
>>
>>81477976
apologies for not making it clearer, but i meant among the ones that supports multiplayer via interwebz
>>
When I set my external HDD's standby (spin-down) timer with hd-parm, it doesn't persist across reboots. I think the way to fix this is writing a udev rule that detects if a connected block device is an HDD and if so runs the hdparm command on it.
Can someone hold my hand through this process?
>>
>>81477951
If I had to guess Xonotic or OpenTTD
>>
File: win951.png (58 KB, 662x558)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
I wonder if the sound will work?
>>
>>81446291
I switched to ubuntu a while ago, previously I used windows. I am getting tired of the default look. Where can I find cool anime themes for my setup? Is it possible to get animated desktop backgrounds?
>>
Is there a guide somewhere for getting god-tier font rendering on linux?
>>
>>81477951
0AD
>>
How can I easily empty all folders that contain subfolders?
So for example:
I have a folder ./Radiohead
And in this folder I have folders with albums like ./Radiohead/OKC, ./Radiohead/KidA, etc.
and I have some more artists
But I want to remove the "band folders" and only be left with album folders in ./
So the result would he ./OKC, ./KidA and ./Radiohead would be deleted (if it had no files)

Is there an easy way to do this, cus I could write a script, but maybe there is a one liner or sth
>>
>>81478722
This should probably work:
mv -t . ./*/*/; rmdir ./*/

No guarantees tho, so try it on some test files first.
>>
New thread >>81478704
>>
>>81478578
 $ qemu-system-x86_64 -soundhw help
Valid sound card names (comma separated):
gus Gravis Ultrasound GF1
pcspk PC speaker
es1370 ENSONIQ AudioPCI ES1370
adlib Yamaha YM3812 (OPL2)
hda Intel HD Audio
ac97 Intel 82801AA AC97 Audio
sb16 Creative Sound Blaster 16
cs4231a CS4231A

Enable whatevers compatible. SB16 sure works but idk if it's the best one.
>>
>>81478890
Thanks I think it works :3
>>
>>81446291
What's the best desktop environment for a dual screen setup?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.