[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: final.png (200 KB, 510x562)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
is a bachelors in IT and CCNA enough to compete for a technical job in 2021?
how long do you think it would take to get a job with just these two?
>>
depends a lot on the cunt tree
>>
>>81050382
australia
>>
It should get you at least a junior network engineer job, but you're gonna need to build up experience before people in the field take you seriously.
>>
I don't have either and am an IT manager.
It's not who you are, it's who you know.
>>
Bump
>>
>>81050958
how do i get network engineer experience without a job?
>>
>>81050339
cute bird
>>
maybe
>>
File: 5e2.jpg (39 KB, 600x475)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>81050339
I have a BSc in InfoSys with 0 certs and I'm currently a developer.

If you have no internships, this is usually how it goes
>start off at help (hell) desk
>land another job becoming more specialized (sysadmin, developer, etc.)
>????
>profit

this is what I did and it took me 5 months to get out of helpdesk. some people stay for 2-3 years. couldn't be me.
>>
>>81051452
the same way you got your ccna, doing labs
>>
>>81052429
in that case have a ccna will count as 'experience' and therefore people in the field will take me seriously if i've passed the ccna exam. right?
>>
>>81052338
what kind of developer? front/back webdev? devops?
did you have projects or anything?
>>
File: spiku.jpg (10 KB, 205x245)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>81052500
Back-end development. Though technically I work from within a devops team, although largely alongside the infrastructure guys.

>did you have projects or anything?
Yep, but honestly not that many. I've had like 3 webdev projects to show off and a couple home automation scripts in PowerShell. Honestly the biggest reason I think I passed the interview was that I knew time complexity algorithms.
>>
>>81052563
thanks i will keep this in mind.
i have a couple daggy looking websites and I haven't finished my degree yet.
>>
>>81050958
Pretty much the situation I'm in. The Bachelors really helps, I didn't bother to get my CCNA though. I really should, just to tick the HR box (and have my current employer pay for it). I started help desk like >>81052338 said out of college for a year and then fucked off at will. And that was with an single semester internship.

If your interviewer knows his shit, you don't even need certs if you demonstrate knowledge and keep up with what they're saying. Expect to be underpaid though without experience.
>>
>>81052595
i don't mind low pay. i just really want to get my foot in the door
>>
>>81052579
My best advice, try to get into an early career development program. They're kinda like internships on steroids and they're the key to avoiding helldesk (and user support in general desu).

Big companies like FAANG and defense contractors like Lockheed do these a lot. They actively recruit people fresh out of school and start them off in specialized positions at $70k-100k+ salaries. They're usually offered to people who are 1 year from graduating or 1 year after graduating.
>>
>>81052643
what exactly are career development programs. i looked them up and i'm a little confused. are they not internships?
some universities do them, but mine doesn't
>>
>>81052483
if you have a bachelors in IT and certifications yes you will be taken seriously
>>
>>81052618
Yeah, spend a year or two with low pay, learn as much as you can, take advantage of your jew employer as often as possible with benefits, then fuck off and find another job with higher salary. Never have loyalty in this industry. Money, time, and comfort are loyalty as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>81050958
Not just job experience, but people experience. You need to make yourself indispensable. Both in your job and the morale of the company in general.
You don't need to be extroverted or anything, just well-liked by everyone.
>>
>>81052731
>are they not internships?
Kind of. They're like internships in the sense that they're for students, but they're largely for post-undergrad and pay better and work to put you in the company in a permanent full-time position.

Here's a couple of them

https://careers.microsoft.com/students/us/en/us-fulltime-opportunities
https://careers.unitedhealthgroup.com/early-careers/programs/

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.