[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Which software engineering job would you take, /g/:
1. 90k salary + 20k bonuses in Sunnyvale, CA (bay area) for a materials company
2. 78k salary + 10k bonuses in Oklahoma City, OK for an aerospace/defense company

Is it worth it to live in the middle of nowhere with a lower salary if the cost of living is like a third that it is in Sunnyvale? Am I screwing myself by not living in the bay area?
>>
I'll take Sunnyvale. Existence in Oklahoma sounds extremely painful.
>>
Oklahoma City has 660,000 people, that’s more than enough to have entertainment and find interesting things to do but with a fraction of the cost of living.
>>
>>81046965
bay area is only worth it if you are making above 150k and are something like fagman. if you make less, youll technically have less money because of pricier housing. in this situation, take the oklohoma.
>>
According to this website, Sunnyvale is over three times as expensive to live in: https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/oklahoma-city-ok/sunnyvale-ca/200000

I don't know if that's accurate, but that's a massive fucking difference.
>>
Fuck california, but oklahoma geography sucks. I'd go oklahoma. There's nothing you could do to get me to live in CA..
>>
File: 1574102938348.jpg (82 KB, 750x739)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
OP here, one thing I forgot to mention is that the Sunnyvale company wants me to travel to for about a month every year or so which I feel can unironically be dangerous given the current political climate.

>>81046988
I got waitlisted by Amazon after my virtual interview, so I have no idea when they'll get back to me or if it's worth waiting for.
>>
>>81047006
if being scared of travel is what's holding you back, i wouldn't let that stop you. it won't be as dangerous as you think
>>
>>81047017
It's not travel by itself, it's travel to China. I don't want the US government to treat me like a dangerous individual if things get heated with China.
>>
>>81047006
dont worry about traveling anon, unless their asking you to go to a literal warzone, your fine. as for the amazon waitlist thing, you should ask on teamblind.
>>
>>81046965
2 by an land slide. 98k in the bay is near poverty level, and "20k bonuses" often mean "here is shit into your IRA or free trips to X resort(ps u pay to get there).
>>
>>81046965
that's a extremely low salary, is that a junior position?
>>
>>81047036
>>81047023
so i just read the china thing... probably a good choice to stay away...
>>
>>81047006
Been to china off and on, even during trump. No one cares so long as your job is to bring in revenue for Xi. Different story if you come in with political intent
>>
>>81047046
I just graduated last December.
>>
>>81046965
First one if the offers are remote, second if you need to move.
>>
File: 1604976347790.jpg (126 KB, 500x500)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>81047061
Both require relocation
>>
>>81046965
>Is it worth it to live in the middle of nowhere
I genuinely do not understand this thought process. What are you missing? 95% of your life in the city is locked away in your room or office and in the remaining 5% you might do something that can't be done in "the middle of nowhere" once every few months. What are you missing out on? The crowds of people you either hate or feel apathetic to? 5000 different restaurants when you only ever eat at 6 or 7? Do you just think that smaller towns are somehow locked in the stone age despite living in a world of interconnectivity?
>>
>>81047043
The bonuses are a 10k flat bonus and up to 10k yearly bonus for the Sunnyvale company.
>>
>>81047110
It's harder to meet and network with successful people in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>81047064
Then yeah, second one. The "bay area isn't worth it because of the high cost of living" thing is a meme in most cases, but in your case it's more than enough to wipe out the extra salary they'd be giving you. Not to mention that the people and culture in the bay area are fucking insufferable.

Don't worry about it too much either way though. As a fresh grad, your first set of opportunities are usually somewhat shitty, but you'll quickly be able to leverage them to get something better. I started at about what the OK company is offering you, and within two years I was making twice that doing remote work for a bay area company. Don't think that your choice now is where you're going to spend a significant portion of your life.

>>81047118
If you're actually planning to network then this is true, but most of us are fucking shut-ins who hate people and aren't going to be making a lot of helpful friends either way. And if that's the case, then it doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>81047006
>dangerous given the current political climate.
???
>>
>>81047111
Still OKC isn't that bad, 75k is enough to live like a pretty well made person. You could easily live downtown or uptown and forget you even live in OKC. Only thing that kinda sucks is that you have seasons vs. mild seasons due to the bay.

Under 100k in a salary for the bay is going to be hell on earth, 100k is barely enough to live comfortably.

>>81047118
OKC has good influx of business especially with companies relocating out of california due to costs. Besides if you get fed up just head down to the DFW area and boom, instant tech environment.
>>
>>81047150
Are you not aware of the rising tensions between the US and China?
>>
File: 1617820689528.jpg (20 KB, 396x353)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>under 100k/yr
>bay area
What kind of masochist are you anon, enjoy 2 hours of your day literally being dedicated to your commute if you want to save any money after the insane utility costs and housing fees. 80k in Oklahoma City would basically allow you to live down the street while still making a far bit into savings and shit.
>>
>>81047118
Do you think that everyone living in small towns is an unsuccessful washout? The late owner of one of the largest grocery chains in the world lived in my podunk home town.
Also, where do you honestly see yourself meeting these contacts? If you say "work" then you're still going to meet them regardless. Branch offices don't just get left out of business relations. If you're banking on just running into them on the bus then you really need to readjust your worldview.
>>
>>81047118
Despite what /g/ meme's there are plenty of cities not butted up against the coast that pay fine. I had the chance to move to the bay area a few years back, after I did the math for time spent of my day at work and getting to/from it in the commute, I'd be fucked.

Took an 82k job in "flyover land" where i don't have to worry about some h1b coming in replacing me because I didn't get in my wage cage and the C level people realized that hiring rajeet saves 1k a year that goes into their pockets. No one here in my flyover state would think about bringing in an H1B compared to a native american, and I don't have to deal with BS like "WHERES UR SOCIAL MEDIA ANON? I NEED TO SEE THOSE LIKES ON FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTA AND LINKEDIN!!!"

I pitty the anons that only see a $$$ and burn out in 2-3 years after all that shit cali shops make you do
>>
>>81047200
>Do you think that everyone living in small towns is an unsuccessful washout?
That is pretty much exactly what people from the big cities think, and I'll thank you not to dissuade them of that. It's easier for me to take advantage of opportunities here when there's less competition.
>If you say "work" then you're still going to meet them regardless
I think the idea is probably that bay-area coworkers are more valuable to network with than midwest coworkers, because they're more likely to move directly into a much more lucrative job and help you get there too.
>>
OP I work for fagman and inside Sunnyvale
If you enjoyed college dorms you can survive the housing market because it's that except your roomies will make 3x your current salary
If you enjoy having a personal space then expect to pay nearly a months salary on rent if you're sub100k
>>
>>81047238
>and I don't have to deal with BS like "WHERES UR SOCIAL MEDIA ANON? I NEED TO SEE THOSE LIKES ON FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTA AND LINKEDIN!!!"
I've worked for multiple bay area companies and never encountered anything like this. I don't have accounts on any of those and no employer has ever asked me about them.
>>
>>81047242
>I think the idea is probably that bay-area coworkers are more valuable to network with than midwest coworkers, because they're more likely to move directly into a much more lucrative job and help you get there too.
Go back to your academics, once you get in the field just learn to use your linkedin and it's way more valuable than anon trying to network IRL. Befriend your vendors, and maybe attend some user group meets.

Once you're in, the minimal amount of effort is needed to stay in. I'd rather have job security of the midwest not looking at constant H1B's from Asia or India that could replace me the second a Q1 profits are down just a bit.
>>
>>81047257
>If you enjoy having a personal space then expect to pay nearly a months salary on rent if you're sub100k
I intend to live in a studio apt. It's expensive as fuck there but not impossible with 90k, at least it seems that way.
>>
>>81047273
>not impossible with 90k, at least it seems that way.
You have to factor in cali taxes
Utilities in the bay, especially water, are fucked
Parking a car should you own one is shit, as is getting it to pass emissions
If you don't want a car enjoy some shit commuting back and forth, you ain't living "in the bay' for 90k/yr
Food is pretty expensive compared to OKC

What you would make in OKC for 88k/yr would equate to probably 125k if not more due to the absurdly lower cost of living compared to the bay area.
>>
>live borderline poverty and think about making it in da big city by da bay!
or
>live fairly lucratively in a smaller city and still be able to save away with ease about 30k/yr

Gee.... Even if you only worked there for like 2-3 years you would probably have enough saved up to just find something new after all that.
>>
>>81047273
California apartments are really fucking bare bones
I went east from Sunnyvale and got a 1bed for 2k just to have a washer and dryer and an air conditioner inside my apartment
Less bullshit from the caltrain telling you it's wage time
>>
>>81047330
>AC
>in the Bay
LOL nice larp but in the bay you don't need one, just get closer to the water if you want it cooler.
>>
>>81047330
>I went east from Sunnyvale and got a 1bed for 2k just to have a washer and dryer and an air conditioner inside my apartment
If I could get this without a ridiculous driving distance to my apartment this would be ideal.
>>
>>81046965
neither, a bullet would be preferable to living in either of those locations, but at least the latin bitches in cali probably wanna hop on yo dick
>>
>>81047179
>enjoy 2 hours of your day literally being dedicated to your commute if you want to save any money after the insane utility costs and housing fees.
I might be naive in this regard, but it seems I'd be able to find a studio for about 2.5k/month within pretty close distance to my office.
>>
>>81046965
Oklahoma City.
I move everywhere for jobs and study
>>
>>81046965

Oklahoma in a fucking heartbeat if you plan on staying a long time.

Bay area if you plan on moving jobs, you'll find more money a lot faster in the bay area and you'll be able to skip a lot of grinding for career progression. But you probably won't be able to buy a house and there is the whole poop/needles on the street issue.
>>
>>81047863
I don't plan to stay. What I really want is to go back and get my master's but I'm too poor.
>>
File: 1574018850362.png (757 KB, 706x608)
757 KB
757 KB PNG
I'm scared bros
>>
>>81046965
Second since I don't go outside without a good reason.
>>
I just accepted the Oklahoma City offer. Wish me luck bros.
>>
>>81046965
what kind of software is that? embedded? how do you work in those companies i can only work in erps and travel apps
>>
>>81046984
does OP really call 660k people middle of nowhere? lmao, the ideal city size is ~150k for me
>>
Graphics programming would be cool but feels unrealistic with my current understanding of math. I've only ever hacked together software-level rasterization systems and my knowledge of webGL is null.

Web dev or something related to Node.JS might be more realistic for me.
>>
>>81046965
pick the more interesting job
>>
>>81046965
i would take a job pulling network cables for 2k a month tbdesu
>>
>>81049008
IKR, i live in a city of 25k and its pretty chill.
>>
>>81046965
>if the cost of living is like a third
Yes.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.